Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I've never seen that episode, yet here I am getting teary eyed and debating if I should wake up my kitties for snuggles.

My new pet peeve is uniboob! I picked up two super cute tankinis that I thought had a design to prevent uniboob. I was wrong.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

My new peeve: relatives who text me a very simple question, but before I can answer, launch into an extremely long diatribe about something completely unrelated (and irrelevant to me). Then when they get the answer to their question, they are confused because they don't see how it relates to the most recent thing they said. And it's true it doesn't, but they asked the question first.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I've never watched this episode of Futurama and I never will.

image.png.56bb91e7f5cfd6509559c625cfb7485c.png

That was the saddest episode, I didn’t know what was coming so I did watch it.  I skip over it now.

• Love 1

Today's peeve: people who go on and on about how inconvienced they are by all the Covid protocols as if they are the only ones affected!  Guess what guys?  Unless you've gone out of your way this past year to ignore the reality that the world is struggling through a pandemic everyone has been affected to some degree or another and we all want this over - you are not the only one forgodssake.  I get the need to moan, believe me I do, but stop acting like you and you alone have had a very different year than you might have expected to have!

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Peeve: places that don't disclose they use cream cheese frosting. Bleh!

That's nothing. Ages ago, I knew of a deli  long since closed which sold 'chicken salad' but, in actuality, was turkey salad (since whole turkeys were easier to process  in bulk than whole chickens).  I've since wondered how many customers scarfed down that 'chicken salad' only to suddenly get sleepy and having had  no idea why. 

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Peeve: places that don't disclose they use cream cheese frosting. Bleh!

Cream cheese can be a sneaky ingredient.  I don't like it, but I love spinach, artichoke, & cheese dip.  There are numerous ways to make that, and some involve cream cheese.  At someone's house, I ask, but at restaurants I didn't used to, because menus describe the dish, so the cheeses were generally noted.  But after happily dipping into a bowl of it in a Nashville restaurant and quickly realizing it had the foul fromage, I started asking in restaurants, too, even if the menu description looked comprehensive (and in that example, I blame the restaurant, because cream cheese wasn't just one cheese, it was the primary cheese.  Write that down!). 

My mom, forgetting I don't like cream cheese, once made a pasta dish that used a little bit of it among other cheeses.  I couldn't tell exactly what was "wrong" with it, but something unpleasant was in my mouth, and when I asked her what was in the dish cream cheese was pretty far down the list.  But once revealed, ah, yes, of course that is the culprit.  Even I was surprised that little bit of it surrounded by yummy things could have such an effect, but it did.

On 5/29/2021 at 2:39 PM, annzeepark914 said:

People can grouse all day about Facebook but I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have, too, although it can be a rabbit hole.  I have been on a friend's page, then looked at one of THEIR friends pages because they look familiar, then something there catches my eye and leads me to someone else's page and before you know it I'm thinking,"Oh, they went to Ireland on vacation.  That looks like a nice hotel.  Wait a minute, who the hell are these people?"

• LOL 5
36 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I have, too, although it can be a rabbit hole.  I have been on a friend's page, then looked at one of THEIR friends pages because they look familiar, then something there catches my eye and leads me to someone else's page and before you know it I'm thinking,"Oh, they went to Ireland on vacation.  That looks like a nice hotel.  Wait a minute, who the hell are these people?"

I've done that a little. My sister loves doing it. I think the folks unhappy with Facebook probably are the ones with a *lot* of "friends" and are trying to keep up with all the gazillion posts. I know some people who have 500 friends. One person has 1,000. One time I accepted a friend request from a high school friend of my sister. Yikes! Each day she posted several recipes. I clicked on whichever thing quietly unfriends people (I bet she never noticed). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've done that a little. My sister loves doing it. I think the folks unhappy with Facebook probably are the ones with a *lot* of "friends" and are trying to keep up with all the gazillion posts. I know some people who have 500 friends. One person has 1,000. One time I accepted a friend request from a high school friend of my sister. Yikes! Each day she posted several recipes. I clicked on whichever thing quietly unfriends people (I bet she never noticed). 

There’s also some stuff you can do if you tap/click on the 3-dot icon by the post. I have a cousin I don’t want to unfriend because I want to hear about family stuff, but omg I don’t need 15 shares a day from her favorite inspirational sites!  If you “hide” certain posts enough, Facebook seems to learn, at least for a while, to show you less of them. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

There’s also some stuff you can do if you tap/click on the 3-dot icon by the post. I have a cousin I don’t want to unfriend because I want to hear about family stuff, but omg I don’t need 15 shares a day from her favorite inspirational sites!  If you “hide” certain posts enough, Facebook seems to learn, at least for a while, to show you less of them. 

Hoo boy...I've done this too. One of my 'friends" posts several religious things each day. She's a nice person so I clicked on that "hide everything from so and so". If I don't want to go that far, I click on "snooze so and so for 30 days". In the meantime, once a week I check their FB sites to see if anything new and/or funny is being posted.

• Love 7

Ususally when ads pop up on FB I can see how they relate, however vaguely, to something I may have searched but today I am getting ad after ad for genealogy related stuff. I guess it could be totally random.  So today's peeve: should I be more peeved at random FB ads or at FB ads that clearly demonstrate 'they' have been stalking me?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Ususally when ads pop up on FB I can see how they relate, however vaguely, to something I may have searched but today I am getting ad after ad for genealogy related stuff. I guess it could be totally random.  So today's peeve: should I be more peeved at random FB ads or at FB ads that clearly demonstrate 'they' have been stalking me?

This past winter I was discussing something (can't remember what) with my sister in emails. Later on that day I had ads popping up on Facebook related to that subject. It's kinda spooooky (as Christopher Walken likes to say).

• Love 4
(edited)

Peeve of the day, I ordered a tin (28oz) of Sweety Peppers from Amazon. They arrived today in a plastic/tyvo(?) bag, no padding whatsoever...nothing just can in bag. Can is dented in several places, top and bottom don't seem to bulge so I guess it is safe to eat. Sure glad I didn't order the glass jar of these peppers!! I've had bad luck lately ordering things in glass. Couldn't they have wrapped it in bubble wrap or cardboard?? I don't get the laziness. Fortunately I recently found these little peppers locally so won't have to order online again. 

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Peeve of the day, I ordered a tin (28oz) of Sweety Peppers from Amazon. They arrived today in a plastic/tyvo(?) bag, no padding whatsoever...nothing just can in bag. Can is dented in several places, top and bottom don't seem to bulge so I guess it is safe to eat. Sure glad I didn't order the glass jar of these peppers!! I've had bad luck lately ordering things in glass. Couldn't they have wrapped it in bubble wrap or cardboard?? I don't get the laziness. Fortunately I recently found these little peppers locally so won't have to order online again. 

Given what Amazon does to its workers, I don't think laziness is a thing that exists at Amazon.  Working people so hard that corners get cut, now that I would believe.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Peeve of the day, I ordered a tin (28oz) of Sweety Peppers from Amazon. They arrived today in a plastic/tyvo(?) bag, no padding whatsoever...nothing just can in bag. Can is dented in several places, top and bottom don't seem to bulge so I guess it is safe to eat. Sure glad I didn't order the glass jar of these peppers!! I've had bad luck lately ordering things in glass. Couldn't they have wrapped it in bubble wrap or cardboard?? 

I recently ordered 2 jars of lingonberry sauce. They came wrapped tightly in bubble wrap. It was hard getting them out. No breakage.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

It's not employee laziness. There's actual computer software that dictate how things are packaged, type of wrapping and box used. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I recently ordered 2 jars of lingonberry sauce. They came wrapped tightly in bubble wrap. It was hard getting them out. No breakage.

Yes usually items from Amazon come wrapped carefully and well protected this item was not!

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

It's not employee laziness. There's actual computer software that dictate how things are packaged, type of wrapping and box used. 

Well this was a fail!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Aside from the inconsistency of leaving packages in the mailroom instead of delivering to my door (I live in an apartment high rise), I've hardly had any issues. And it also depends if it was something you purchased from a third-party seller or from Amazon. I know I've had issues with the former sometimes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 5/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, Bridget said:

From one redhead to another: I am with you 100% about any sad animal stuff.

I don’t care that it’s “just pretend” and that the the dogs “are acting.” Nope. Not for me. Not ever. 

🐾❤️🐾❤️

3rd redhead:  "Uh huh".

On 5/28/2021 at 5:51 PM, peacheslatour said:

Oh, that just reminded me of why I will never watch Dumbo again.

I'm 61 yrs old, and have never seen Bambi.  

Sue me.

• Love 3

I got my 2nd Covid vaccine yesterday so yay me - but my peeve is why do people have to insist on telling you all the possible side effects you might experience?  I can read.  I know what potentially could happen, I really don't need to hear about what happened to Aunt Mary or your neighbour's best friend's mailman.  What will be will be.  Me worrying about the worst case scenarios isn't going to help - why would anyone think this is a good idea?

• Love 5
On 5/31/2021 at 4:49 PM, Angeltoes said:

I have had this happen a few times and end up on someone's page and then as I was being nosy and scrolling, accidentally hit the "like" button and then immediately unlike it, but yea they still get a notification on it. So embarrassing!

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's 'you're' not 'your' when you mean to say "you are".

I always have to resist the temptation to correct someone when they make this, and similar, errors on FB.  I know I will NOT be popular if I do that.  But I really, really want to!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
Just now, WinnieWinkle said:

I always have to resist the temptation to correct someone when they make this, and similar, errors on FB.  I know I will NOT be popular if I do that.  But I really, really want to!

I can and do correct friends who make this EGREGIOUS error on Facebook, but alas, can't do it here.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I can and do correct friends who make this EGREGIOUS error on Facebook, but alas, can't do it here.

On another message board I used to belong to (now gone to the great message board in the sky) I once, I admit very snarkily, asked a fellow poster if they were channeling their inner e e cummings because they went out of their way IMO to never capitalize anything.  It did not go over well.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’ve had to unfollow people who talk too much about “embroiderying” things.  NO, you are going to do some embroidery, planning to embroider, or are embroidering something.  I have written horrible snarky replies (where there was no chance of accidentally posting it), but that non-word bothers me so much more than your/you’re or there/their/they’re.

• Love 3

In the same vein, I get super annoyed when people used "text speech"in non text situations (not here, fortunately!). So in another forum I am on one person continually uses "u" for "you", "r" for "are", etc. etc. This was within a very long stream of a conversation where the replies were quite detailed, so anyone taking the trouble to post a response certainly had the time to spell out a three letter word, right? Maybe its because I rarely text (only in response to a text on my phone) but even when I do, I make the effort to spell out words as they are actually spelled so as not to perpetuate this new abomination in written communication.

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Maybe its because I rarely text (only in response to a text on my phone) but even when I do, I make the effort to spell out words as they are actually spelled so as not to perpetuate this new abomination in written communication.

I refuse to communicate with people who type in Bingo - B4, CU....

• Love 14

My electronic devices and my hardwood floors aren't getting along.

In the war they are currently waging, the floors are winning.

The Kindle I dropped a few weeks ago.  Screen down.  The laptop flung itself onto the floor (and did some gymnastics) when I was in a entirely different room today. 

Today was an expensive day.

My pet peeve today (and every day because these companies are evil) is MLM sellers hawking shit constantly. No I do not want to buy your skin care. No I do not want to try your diet plan. No I do not want your yoni egg/wand. No I do not want to invest in your crypto currency class. 

The thing that spurred me on this rant is I got an invite to a Facebook Live "master class" on "wealth codes." The by-line was "break out of the matrix and quit your mindless day job so you can create your own schedule and be in blissful abundance and wealth." Which has MLM written all over it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I still don’t know how to navigate on Facebook, and none of my kids will show me.  To boot, I see Facebook changed around some things, so now I am totally lost.  I’m just on in case somebody from school or my job is looking for me.  None yet .. maybe they are dead .. I don’t know.  Plus, if I look someone up, I’m afraid they will know it’s me being nosey?  Can they see me?

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why does the phrase “body fat” exist (in commercials and in life)? Where else would the fat be?

In food?  I guess they're trying to distinguish the difference between fat, muscle, etc...?  

My pet peeve:  The Ontario vaccine booking site is a NIGHTMARE.  No wonder people from some communities (elderly, people from non-English speaking communities) have lower vaccination rates.  Pharmacies are so much easier, as are hospital-run clinics (though the hospital clinic I used for my first dose is now redirecting to the province.  WHY????!!!!!).  I'll be eligible for my second dose at the end of the month (Ontario and the rest of Canada are working on a delayed second dose schedule.  At one point, it was 16 weeks (!!!), so my second dose was originally schedule for the end of July.  Now I can possibly get mine before Canada Day, but that clinic has yet to contact me.  I have some backup - I registered for the wait list at one nearby pharmacy and am waiting for second dose wait list registration at another chain.  I hate Costco, so I'm avoiding that at all cost).

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My pet peeve today (and every day because these companies are evil) is MLM sellers hawking shit constantly. No I do not want to buy your skin care. No I do not want to try your diet plan. No I do not want your yoni egg/wand. No I do not want to invest in your crypto currency class. 

The thing that spurred me on this rant is I got an invite to a Facebook Live "master class" on "wealth codes." The by-line was "break out of the matrix and quit your mindless day job so you can create your own schedule and be in blissful abundance and wealth." Which has MLM written all over it.

I got that beat, one of my FB friends is hawking a 'take care of your pelvic floor' class, there are different levels you can sign up for, all via Zoom, but they start at $49.99/month up to over $100/month. Her post are "How often do you masterbate?" and a pic of a cave that simulates a woman's vulva pinpointing the clitoris.  Look, I'm no pearl-clutcher and I am not offended or disgusted by any of it, it's just what I consider too personal to share on a public forum.  Private group or not. 

1 hour ago, Hangin Out said:

I still don’t know how to navigate on Facebook, and none of my kids will show me.  To boot, I see Facebook changed around some things, so now I am totally lost.  I’m just on in case somebody from school or my job is looking for me.  None yet .. maybe they are dead .. I don’t know.  Plus, if I look someone up, I’m afraid they will know it’s me being nosey?  Can they see me?

No one can see that you've looked them up, thank god. Let's just say I am very much a "FB investigator" and use it to check up on ex's, ex-friends, former coworkers, people in the news, etc. 

I'm sorry your kids won't help you, do you have any friends that can show you how it works? I hate saying "it's really not hard" because it can be to someone who is unfamiliar, but you will get the hang of it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

That would make sense in a certain context, I suppose--like in some kind of presentation of nutrition and exercise (eg, “I’m trying to eliminate fat in my diet” vs “I’m trying to eliminate body fat”). But I mean in conversations or commercials specifically about weight loss products or techniques—like “This pill made Griselda lose 430 pounds of body fat.”

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I'm sorry your kids won't help you, do you have any friends that can show you how it works? I hate saying "it's really not hard" because it can be to someone who is unfamiliar, but you will get the hang of it.

Yes I know .. if I really want one of the kids will help, but it’s always something with me .. my I pad, my phone, our new smart TVs.  I just hate to bother them as they have their own problems.  I think my seven yr old grandson can help me .. he knows everything, the smarty pants, lol.  All my friends are of my age .. stupid too.  Thanks for the advice tho.  Maybe I’ll try again. 😀

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I got that beat, one of my FB friends is hawking a 'take care of your pelvic floor' class, there are different levels you can sign up for, all via Zoom, but they start at $49.99/month up to over $100/month. Her post are "How often do you masterbate?" and a pic of a cave that simulates a woman's vulva pinpointing the clitoris.  Look, I'm no pearl-clutcher and I am not offended or disgusted by any of it, it's just what I consider too personal to share on a public forum.  Private group or not. 

No one can see that you've looked them up, thank god. Let's just say I am very much a "FB investigator" and use it to check up on ex's, ex-friends, former coworkers, people in the news, etc. 

I worked for a very big company in the City, and was surprised not one of the many people I knew aren’t on Facebook.  We were all about the same age, so maybe they weren’t interested in going on for some reason.

• Love 1