Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

I use something heavy (a knife handle, serving fork...) and smack the lid all the way around and it opens easily afterward. 

For anyone coming in at the top of the page, I'm talking about smacking the lid on a jar to help open it.  Not smacking anything else...really... 

Edited by ebk57
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 8

On 4/30/2021 at 1:06 PM, peacheslatour said:

love the ones about plants and seeds. "Well, they haven't come up yet/bloomed yet so I'm giving them 5 stars!"

Or recipes -  “I substituted nutmeg for clove, omitted the molasses, cut the sugar back by a third, left out the pecans because my son is allergic and used white chocolate chips instead of bittersweet.  I also used vegan butter.  They were terrible - bland & weird texture.  Won’t make them again.  I can’t understand all the rave reviews.”  

Maybe don’t review a recipe that you don’t actually make.

• Like 9
  • Laugh 7

On 4/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, RealHousewife said:

Stomach growing noises! Ugh, so embarrassing. 

I was in a meeting at work one morning, and my friend, sitting next to me, was making all sorts of stomach growling noises. He was trying hard to act casual, I was trying hard not to laugh. When the meeting was over, he asked me if I heard his stomach. "Heard it? I was expecting the creature from 'Alien' to burst out of your chest..."

• Like 1
  • Laugh 16

1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

I was in a meeting at work one morning, and my friend, sitting next to me, was making all sorts of stomach growling noises. He was trying hard to act casual, I was trying hard not to laugh. When the meeting was over, he asked me if I heard his stomach. "Heard it? I was expecting the creature from 'Alien' to burst out of your chest..."

I feel for him!  Humans usually have a little control or at least can sort of minimize a lot of bodily noises (burps, farts, sneezes, etc.) but that stomach has a mind of its own!

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I forgot this peeve.  Opening jars.  I can’t open jars to save my life.  Any jar that has to be opened, I have to call my son to do it.  My husband try everything from hot water, rubber things, fancy things, etc.  we just can’t do it.  

I never had luck with rubber things or fancy things until I bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSFFGV1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_188GGMYJWHFQ06XGPCP4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I'm so irritated, my thyroid medication is under another recall. The manufacturer just announced it last week but I've noticed I have had symptoms for at least the last month or so. I just thought it was because I wasn't eating as healthy as I should or working out enough. As someone without a thyroid, a medication recall can be serious, I literally have nothing in my body as a backup if my medication isn't working correctly. And it takes weeks to months to get back on track with a new med. 🤬

Edited by emma675
  • Sad 17

9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I never had luck with rubber things or fancy things until I bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSFFGV1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_188GGMYJWHFQ06XGPCP4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, @theredhead77! I put one in my Amazon cart. I was up in the middle of last night for a few hours, and wanted a Gatorade (zero sugar, I have a low electrolyte and sodium problem, for real). I can’t get the damn lid off! I ended up breaking the plastic around the top with the tip of a small knife (and stabbed myself in the process) but even then it was still really hard to open. I told my husband that when he goes back into the office he’s going to have to open a few up for me every morning to tide me over until he gets home. 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 12:32 PM, Silver Bells said:

I forgot this peeve.  Opening jars.  I can’t open jars to save my life.  Any jar that has to be opened, I have to call my son to do it.  My husband try everything from hot water, rubber things, fancy things, etc.  we just can’t do it.  

I have had rheumatoid arthritis since I was 13. Opening jars and bottles is often awful and very difficult and occasionally no device or trick helps the situation.

Recently, I was feeling bad and recovering from lumbar spine fusion, so was not in great shape. Hubby bought a couple of bottles of Fresca. I used everything available to me and I couldn’t open it. He couldn’t either and had to use a good set of pliers to open it. Just infuriating.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

7 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I have had rheumatoid arthritis since I was 13. Opening jars and bottles is often awful and very difficult and occasionally no device or trick helps the situation.

Recently, I was feeling bad and recovering from lumbar spine fusion, so was not in great shape. Hubby bought a couple of bottles of Fresca. I used everything available to me and I couldn’t open it. He couldn’t either and had to use a good set of pliers to open it. Just infuriating.

Yeah, I have resorted to pliers on several occasions...not to open the darn bottle but to pull off the stupid metal seal under the lid...hands are so bad I can't grasp the tiny lip on the seal...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Thanks, @theredhead77! I put one in my Amazon cart. I was up in the middle of last night for a few hours, and wanted a Gatorade (zero sugar, I have a low electrolyte and sodium problem, for real). I can’t get the damn lid off! I ended up breaking the plastic around the top with the tip of a small knife (and stabbed myself in the process) but even then it was still really hard to open. I told my husband that when he goes back into the office he’s going to have to open a few up for me every morning to tide me over until he gets home. 

I just ordered mine. I can't believe I don't already own one. We always had one when I was growing up.

*V-8 head slap*

• Laugh 3

8 hours ago, emma675 said:

I'm so irritated, my thyroid medication is under another recall. The manufacturer just announced it last week but I've noticed I have had symptoms for at least the last month or so. I just thought it was because I wasn't eating as healthy as I should or working out enough. As someone without a thyroid, a medication recall can be serious, I literally have nothing in my body as a backup if my medication isn't working correctly. And it takes weeks to months to get back on track with a new med. 🤬

I hope it’s not Synthroid 100 mg.  Brand, not generic.  I just got mine two weeks ago from CVS.

4 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I hope it’s not Synthroid 100 mg.  Brand, not generic.  I just got mine two weeks ago from CVS.

No, it's NP Thyroid. I can't take Synthroid, though, I'm allergic to one of the fillers in it. Plus, it doesn't have all of the thyroid hormones that a naturally dessicated med does and having no thyroid, I need those. It's a hard game to play finding a thyroid medication that works, I'm over it.

• Like 1

Here's my peeve: when working out I have my couchto10k app running in the background. I hate when the background crashes mid-run and my smartwatch crashes along with it and so I no longer can keep track of how many miles I've run. 

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Here's my peeve: when working out I have my couchto10k app running in the background. I hate when the background crashes mid-run and my smartwatch crashes along with it and so I no longer can keep track of how many miles I've run. 

Oh that would definitely annoy me, too!

There is a person in the neighborhood walking their dog, scooping the dog poop into little bags, and then leaving the filled bags on the ground instead of taking them home and disposing of them properly.  What a disgusting slob.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Surprise 7
  • Sad 4

Some stupid jackass in our neighborhood is setting off high flying fireworks!

Dogs are barking and our cats are freaked out.

I wish I knew who it is, I would gladly go ring their front door in my robe and slippers and tell them to nock it the hell off or I would be glad to come stick a Roman candle up their ass just to see how much they would enjoy that!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 5

On 4/30/2021 at 4:52 PM, peacheslatour said:

There used to be a thing called Micky D. I was addicted to them. It was French roll, made to order burger with spicy ketchup and real cheddar. They were sooo good. Not only don't they make them any more but according to the Googles, they never existed. Makes feel like I imagined them. SMDH.

Are you thinking of the McDLT?  That was one of their fancy burgers.  Or the Arch Deluxe?  Every time we like the fancy burgers, they discontinue them.  A couple of years ago they had the Angus burgers with delicious toppings, such as mushroom and cheese.  Also gone. 

I like this type of jar opener.  My late mom had one when I was a kid, and I have hers now.  Lately I even need it to open some of those oil or vinegar bottles that have metal coverings that are supposed to twist off easily while breaking the perforations.  I often cannot do it without the jar gadget.

https://www.amazon.com/Swing-Way-Comfort-Opener-Black/dp/B000HMC5JA/ref=sxin_10?asc_contentid=amzn1.osa.a860f802-654e-4876-ac13-2f48c30423fa.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&asc_contenttype=article&ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.a860f802-654e-4876-ac13-2f48c30423fa.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B000HMC5JA&cv_ct_cx=jar+opener&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.a860f802-654e-4876-ac13-2f48c30423fa.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_we=asin&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source-earns-comm&dchild=1&keywords=jar+opener&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B000HMC5JA&pd_rd_r=378c511b-a679-49bd-becb-ecd9c45ad8f8&pd_rd_w=1vdha&pd_rd_wg=HiXJ8&pf_rd_p=c5aa77b7-f0ac-4b95-b207-5ef230c60c9b&pf_rd_r=2QDAFK5AF6RN01QYF277&qid=1620150063&s=home-garden&sr=1-1-64f3a41a-73ca-403a-923c-8152c45485fe&tag=atkamznsearch-20

Are you thinking of the McDLT?  That was one of their fancy burgers.  Or the Arch Deluxe?  Every time we like the fancy burgers, they discontinue them.  A couple of years ago they had the Angus burgers with delicious toppings, such as mushroom and cheese.  Also gone. 

No, it was a completely different thing. There was no lettuce  involved and it was on a hard French roll. I guess it was a regional test market kind of thing because it's literally been scrubbed from all human knowledge except mine.  I wish they would bring it back.

Thank you for trying to help though!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 4:52 PM, peacheslatour said:

There used to be a thing called Micky D. I was addicted to them. It was French roll, made to order burger with spicy ketchup and real cheddar. They were sooo good. Not only don't they make them any more but according to the Googles, they never existed. Makes feel like I imagined them. SMDH.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

No, it was a completely different thing. There was no lettuce  involved and it was on a hard French roll. I guess it was a regional test market kind of thing because it's literally been scrubbed from all human knowledge except mine.  I wish they would bring it back.

Thank you for trying to help though!

You are not going crazy! According to Wikipedia

Mickey D – A 1/3 lb. burger introduced in 1993 with cheddar cheese, red onions, diced tomatoes and a zesty tomato sauce on a crusty roll.[109]

It looks like it was a test market according to this 1993 article from the Greensboro News and Record: The Mickey D has been tested at several dozen restaurants in Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri and Iowa since January.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

14 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

You are not going crazy! According to Wikipedia

Mickey D – A 1/3 lb. burger introduced in 1993 with cheddar cheese, red onions, diced tomatoes and a zesty tomato sauce on a crusty roll.[109]

It looks like it was a test market according to this 1993 article from the Greensboro News and Record: The Mickey D has been tested at several dozen restaurants in Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri and Iowa since January.

OMG! Thank you! I knew I wasn't losing my mind.

• Like 3

Did anyone get this new “Invision Community” thing on their Primetimer apps?  All the shows.  We have to pay to watch or what?  Anyone know about this?

• Like 1

My current pet peeve: I love the YouTube channel The Take. But lately instead of analyzing shows and movies, they’ve been making videos analyzing real-life celebrities. Like…why?!

I don’t like videos that devote themselves to analyzing real-life celebrities like Britney Spears trying to dig deep into every little thing I do. Fictional characters is one thing but when you obsess that much over real people? Yikes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

My current pet peeve: I love the YouTube channel The Take.

I love them too, but I haven't checked in on them in a while. Last I saw them, they were analyzing simps and stans and cancel culture. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 5:22 PM, icemiser69 said:

There is a person in the neighborhood walking their dog, scooping the dog poop into little bags, and then leaving the filled bags on the ground instead of taking them home and disposing of them properly.  What a disgusting slob.

Is anyone doing something about it?  My neighbor across the common area grass let’s her two dogs poop on the grass and pee.  This is a common area where people walk and kids could play.  Nobody wants to report her to the HOA. If I tell her, I’ll make an enemy.  What to do?  Dogs are supposed to be on the street to do their business.  She doesn’t care. ?????

• Surprise 1

2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Did anyone get this new “Invision Community” thing on their Primetimer apps?  All the shows.  We have to pay to watch or what?  Anyone know about this?

I had one of the forums here as my bookmark for Primetimer.  Suddenly this afternoon, when I would click on the thumbnail for it, I'm getting a "__Community Not Available - Check With The Owner" or something similar.  So I had to put Primetimer in the search bar, and arrive at it that way.

Something's up.

p.s.:  Primetimer has an app?  lol  I use a pc

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

8 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I had one of the forums here as my bookmark for Primetimer.  Suddenly this afternoon, when I would click on the thumbnail for it, I'm getting a "__Community Not Available - Check With The Owner" or something similar.  So I had to put Primetimer in the search bar, and arrive at it that way.

Something's up.

p.s.:  Primetimer has an app?  lol  I use a pc

One by one, I got that on all my shows, even Wendy Williams Show.  I just put the show on the search bar and N.Y. Housewives came up.  I have all my shows from the “Favorites” that I clicked on when watching a show, so I just click on my favorites, if you get what I mean.  Hope we don’t have to pay to go on the threads.

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Today's pet peeve:  Wet teddy bears.

That's... specific!

My pet peeve is watching tv shows on Hulu. When it rolls from one episode into the next, nine times out of ten it starts the next episode 20 minutes into the show. At first I thought I stopped watching at 20 minutes and it was going to where I left off. But every show I watch? Especially "Everything's Going to be Okay" - I know I've never not finished an episode of that particular show. And I certainly haven't stopped watching Dick Van Dyke at 20 minutes of every single episode!

4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Something's up.

I've been getting it for a couple of days, the URL changed, the forums used to be https://forums.previously.tv/index.php?showforums=1, now they're https://forums.primetimer.com/. No idea why.

1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

That's... specific!

I'm guessing they're referring to this commercial 

• Like 5

On 5/3/2021 at 5:22 PM, icemiser69 said:

19 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Is anyone doing something about it?  My neighbor across the common area grass let’s her two dogs poop on the grass and pee.  This is a common area where people walk and kids could play.  Nobody wants to report her to the HOA. If I tell her, I’ll make an enemy.  What to do?  Dogs are supposed to be on the street to do their business.  She doesn’t care. ?????

I walk my dog on a 2 mile loop, one day I counted 7 piles of poop, and 5 bags of poop that someone left. Why bother to bag them up then? I will never understand what the big deal is about picking up YOUR dog's poop? What does your yard look like? My dog's leash has a little poop-bag holder attached to it (looks like a fire hydrant), he poops, I put the bag on my hand inside out like a glove, grab the turd(s) pull the bag up around the turd(s), knot it and carry it home with me. Why is this so hard for some people? 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I walk my dog on a 2 mile loop, one day I counted 7 piles of poop, and 5 bags of poop that someone left. Why bother to bag them up then? I will never understand what the big deal is about picking up YOUR dog's poop? What does your yard look like? My dog's leash has a little poop-bag holder attached to it (looks like a fire hydrant), he poops, I put the bag on my hand inside out like a glove, grab the turd(s) pull the bag up around the turd(s), knot it and carry it home with me. Why is this so hard for some people? 

Because they are LAZY.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Because they are LAZY.

Entitled.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

Entitled.

That too.  The pain across my grass let’s her two dogs poop on the common grass, not in the street like she’s supposed to, BUT, she complains about a dog barking next to her,  her new fence, the landscapers, the light going up the stairs, the sprinklers, etc, etc.  She always has a complaint about something, but doesn’t see how annoying she is.  Nobody is turning her in either.  We all don’t want to be the bad guy.

• Useful 1
  • Sad 3

Here's another peeve: my ipad mini's battery has been draining. It still works well otherwise so I don't feel like getting a new one but it's also annoying plugging it in after short video browsing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Me too, for about a week now.  Now I have to type in the search bar on top every time.  Do they want us to pay to go on the threads or what?

Those of us (like me) who never updated our bookmark two years ago when this happened...

have been redirected to forums.primetimer.com for the whole time.  

I edited my bookmarks to the correct address as opposed to deleting it and bookmarking the correct one. Either way would work.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

A very specific pet peeve - as in once every 5 years.  Got the census form and it was the short form.  Again.  Am I crazy?  I really want the chance to do the long form and am running out of time - even if I make it to a hundred at every 5 years that's not all that many more censuses (censi?) to go!

• Like 2

I was a Census worker years ago, when it was still done on paper, door to door.   Every fifth house got the long form. Some people were such PsITA about it that I would walk them through filling it out in the most bare bones way possible "If you answer 3 of 4 in Block A and 4 of 5 in Block C, I won't have to send a supervisor to follow up with you."  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Quof said:

I was a Census worker years ago, when it was still done on paper, door to door.   Every fifth house got the long form. Some people were such PsITA about it that I would walk them through filling it out in the most bare bones way possible "If you answer 3 of 4 in Block A and 4 of 5 in Block C, I won't have to send a supervisor to follow up with you."  

Can't you do it online? I did.

9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Can't you do it online? I did.

I did mine online but IIRC the last time we had the census it was still defaulting to paper.  I could be misremembering though.  I do remember the days when the census people came door to door.   It's been awhile though - at least around here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I did mine online but IIRC the last time we had the census it was still defaulting to paper.  I could be misremembering though.  I do remember the days when the census people came door to door.   It's been awhile though - at least around here.

they still do that if you don't fill it out.  Someone came to my parents' second home and they told her nobody actually lives there.

Major peeve: people who don't understand the difference between the To and CC fields. To is where you put the people who are being addressed. The CC field is for the rest of everyone. 

A secondary peeve: when people take a different role or have a shift in responsibilities but can't be bothered to let you know so you stop asking them to do what they used to be responsible for. or forward your email to the correct person.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Major peeve: people who don't understand the difference between the To and CC fields. To is where you put the people who are being addressed. The CC field is for the rest of everyone. 

People who don't know when not to use "Reply All."

People who "Reply All" to tell people not to use "Reply All."

• Like 9
  • Laugh 5
  • Surprise 1

Men who don't lift the toilet seat when they pee.  If you can't aim the damn thing and hit the bigger target, what makes you think you can aim the damn thing and hit the smaller target?  Even if you can successfully hit the smaller target, urine splash still ends up on the toilet seat.  No one wants to sit on that.  I suppose I ought to be happy that you at least lift the lid when you pee.

Someone needs to design a scope for the damn thing so you can sight in on your target, and your target isn't the floor.

Another peeve is people who pee in the shower.  The smell lingers long after you hop out.  Most people don't want to breath in the smell of steaming urine.

9 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I had a friend that wouldn't stop using reply all.  I told him to stop doing that.  So he removed me from his email list.  That was over twenty years ago, and he hasn't talked to me since.  I was getting all sorts of shit non-stop that had nothing to do with me.  It was like listening in on a party line.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1

Yes!!  This 'reply all' vs 'reply to sender' thing drives me bananas!  It defies comprehension.

As for the bathroom habits of men -  I've been asking my hubs to please sit to pee for years, stating "just go ahead and sit; it won't get wet."  🤪

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

People who "Reply All" to tell people not to use "Reply All."

We have this issue with a company wide email that is sent to congratulate us on a certain list we make every year. You'll inevitably get 20 people who will reply to all with "Yay for us!!". It's an eye-roller every time. 

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I had a friend that wouldn't stop using reply all.  I told him to stop doing that.  So he removed me from his email list.  That was over twenty years ago, and he hasn't talked to me since.  I was getting all sorts of shit non-stop that had nothing to do with me.  It was like listening in on a party line.

My mother got mad at me for telling her to stop including me in her family email about her brother that was very ill (he was a major asshole, he was such a prick that none of his 4 children had anything to do with him and did not attend his funeral when he passed) because all the aunts and uncles on the email would reply to all and my inbox would be flooded. 

My pet peeve today: People who wear perfume, cologne or heavily scented lotions at the gym. On the treadmill this morning at 5:15am and a woman hops on the treadmill one away from me and I could still smell her rose-scented lotion or perfume, even with my mask on. I don't get the point of wearing it anyway, you're just going to sweat it off. 

Edited by BexKeps · Reason: extra words that made no sense
  • Like 4

JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums.