Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

And the price many times ends up the same as it was without a sale. 🤦‍♀️

Eons ago an aunt of mine worked at Woolworth’s. If an item wasn’t moving, a sign was put up announcing 4/$1.00.

The presale price was .25 each.   The items sold at 4/$1.00 better. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have a friend whose parents owned an antique shop. If an article didn't move for a long time they'd mark it up. Worked a treat.

I really want, and need, a new couch. The problem is that I have no way to get rid of my old couch. Furniture stores don't do haul away and any donation places I can find require the couch to be on the ground floor and I live on the 2nd floor. AND the movers ended up bringing in one part over the balcony. I'm not sure why they did but it was pretty neat. I may end up having to see if I can hire them for an hour or two to take my couch and the bed in my guest room down to the garage. 

So mostly my peeve is having no help to do anything. Most of the time I can manage but sometimes it just really fucks me over.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

And the price many times ends up the same as it was without a sale. 🤦‍♀️

Eons ago an aunt of mine worked at Woolworth’s. If an item wasn’t moving, a sign was put up announcing 4/$1.00.

The presale price was .25 each.   The items sold at 4/$1.00 better. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Well, okay, but not in this case.  There actually was a savings in the 2/$5.

49 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I may end up having to see if I can hire them for an hour or two to take my couch and the bed in my guest room down to the garage. 

Ask the furniture place if the delivery people can accept payment to haul your old couch, and that bed to the garage for you, maybe during their lunch?    Or the last delivery of the day.   Where I live the Restore (Habitat for Humanity) picks up on second levels, so if you have one of those, try them.  

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Ask the furniture place if the delivery people can accept payment to haul your old couch, and that bed to the garage for you, maybe during their lunch?    Or the last delivery of the day.   Where I live the Restore (Habitat for Humanity) picks up on second levels, so if you have one of those, try them.  

Our ReStore says it has to be on the ground floor. There is always a chance I can get the delivery people to move the furniture for cash but that's a risk I can't afford to take.

Around here at the moment even the ones who usually do haul away do not right now because of COVID. Heck some aren't even delivering inside the house. They leave it at the front door (which to me sort of defeats half the purpose of delivery, but I don't begrudge the delivery people wanting to minimize their own risk.)

• Love 1
On 9/2/2020 at 12:00 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Pet peeve for today (I'll hold it to one) - 

When the store has a twofer sale, but doesn't have enough inventory for you to purchase in twos.  Today it was Walgreen's/Fuji water, 1.5 liter, 2/$5.  Now I normally wouldn't splurge on Fiji water, but I was feeling particularly entitled (my mother having yet more issues at the LCF), so I was going to pull the trigger on a pair of Fiji waters.  They had one.  One bottle on the shelf.  Even checked the cold drink cooler - nada.

LCF?  Some sort of government agency?

• Love 1

Re: getting someone to pick up old furniture: when I moved in May, I put an ad on Craigslist for my futon because we couldn't fit it in my boyfriend's apartment. It was also pretty heavy, as it had a wood frame with arms and was the size of a full-size bed (full mattress). I had several offers, since I priced it pretty low. I also had a like-new IKEA bookcase listed that had to go and some wooden patio furniture. I basically told anyone interested that if they took the futon, they could have the other stuff for very low money. I ended up getting a guy on the next to last last day on my lease (I'd already moved out) with a trailer who was outfitting his mountain cabin. I required that he wear a mask, and my boyfriend helped him haul out the stuff. I lived on the second floor, and Habitat ReStore wouldn't pick up my stuff. And I made a few bucks!

So my advice would be to offer the couch for free on Craigslist for hauling it away. I've done that one other time before moving with success. There are people are glad to take free furniture. You'll have to wade through a few wafflers who ask if it's still available (would I still have the ad up if it wasn't?) and who will say they can do it, but then won't, but someone will come through.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

So my advice would be to offer the couch for free on Craigslist for hauling it away.

I agree. While not during Covid, kijiji, the equivalent of Craigslist (do you have that in the US?) is my friend when I need something gone for free or cheap. I had my old but working washing machine and dryer picked up for free by a woman who had just moved out of an abusive situation. She couldn't afford to buy appliances but had a friend with a truck. I can afford new appliances but have no friend with a truck. So, it all worked out well for everyone. No need to throw out the couch if it's still ok.

• Love 2

Oh my god, I am listening to a podcast and am definitely very interested in the topics, which the guests (2 sisters with a vegan clothing store) appear to know a lot about. And they seem like nice people.. But their voices/affectations are killing me. Helium* crossed with a bit vocal fry. And "Thaaht" for "that," "hondraaad persaaahnt" for "hundred percent," "draahss" for "dress." 

*Which, to be fair, may not be anything they can help.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Spiders are our friends.

I will be forever grateful that this particular spider took care of the cricket issue, but I don't necessarily want them as roommates.  I won't kill it, mind you, but it might need to move outside.

• Love 6

I've lost count of how many podcasts I gave up on because of the host's voice. "Like" every 3rd word, perpetual uptalk, horribly loud, laugh that makes you want to pierce your own eardrum, etc.. And that's on top of annoying personality.

• Love 5

"I will be forever grateful that this particular spider took care of the cricket issue, but I don't necessarily want them as roommates.  I won't kill it, mind you, but it might need to move outside."

I keep "spider boxes" in both bathrooms for just this reason - we have lots and lots of spiders around here, mostly of the non-biting very long legs type, and I have found they are very easy to catch and release outside if they come inside. My spider boxes are old plastic food containers and I just relocated an interloper first thing this morning before he/she wandered into my shower and decided it was a good place to hang out waiting for the non-existent flies. I won't kill spiders as (according to Chinese folk tales) they are the sign of a harmonious household and "Charlotte's Web" was a favorite childhood read.

Edited by isalicat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

So, the cricket's gone -- I found its remnants in a spider web.  Unfortunately, that means I have spiders.

I was about to ask if they are good spiders or bad spiders, but clearly these spiders are on your team.

My spiders, OTOH, bite and leave itchy spots similar to flea bites (see Yellow Sac Spiders).
Whatever it is that makes me sensitive to their bites and also causes me to react to a lot of household and beauty product chemicals (especially fragrances) also means having an exterminator would mean being nauseated for an indeterminate period of time.

All of that to say that I get peeved when people admonish me with "Leave a spider alive and you will thrive."
No. You may thrive, I will itch.

And, as I learned from my mom, a Swiffer without a cloth on it is the perfect weapon of choice. They never see it coming. And isn't that merciful of me?
Sharing thatjust in case your spiders switch teams,  @Browncoat.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

"I will be forever grateful that this particular spider took care of the cricket issue, but I don't necessarily want them as roommates.  I won't kill it, mind you, but it might need to move outside."

I keep "spider boxes" in both bathrooms for just this reason - we have lots and lots of spiders around here, mostly of the non-biting very long legs type, and I have found they are very easy to catch and release outside if they come inside. My spider boxes are old plastic food containers and I just relocated an interloper first thing this morning before he/she wandered into my shower and decided it was a good place to hang out waiting for the non-existent flies. I won't kill spiders as (according to Chinese folk tales) they are the sign of a harmonious household and "Charlotte's Web" was a favorite childhood read.

They say that the change you find in your sofa are the spiders trying to pay for their rent.

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

I have the same equipment in my house - old margarine tubs coupled with the nice heavyweight political fliers I get in the mail every few days.  But mine are mostly used for the stray cockroach.  Not that I feel they deserve their freedom, necessarily, but I'm more grossed out by the thought of stomping on them and dealing with the remains than I am with just trapping them and flinging them outside.

• Love 2

My spider story. I had one once that liked to live in the shower. (Think Daddy Long Legs type) I’d take my hand and relocate him when I needed to bathe.  I even had my child doing the same. He lived with us over a year. Then my Mom came to visit. Bye bye Barney. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

But mine are mostly used for the stray cockroach.  Not that I feel they deserve their freedom, necessarily, but I'm more grossed out by the thought of stomping on them and dealing with the remains than I am with just trapping them and flinging them outside.

Cockroaches face instant death in my house.  The only other bugs I kill are ants, simply because it's not feasible to relocate gazillions of miniscule critters to the outdoors. 

Thankfully, I don't encounter one very often, but I once had a family of cockroaches living in the drain of my bathtub (which I don't use very often any more, as it's nice and deep but not long enough for a properly decadent bubble bath so I fell out of the habit - maybe when I shrink in my old age I'll finally start using it regularly again).

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I will be forever grateful that this particular spider took care of the cricket issue, but I don't necessarily want them as roommates.  I won't kill it, mind you, but it might need to move outside.

This. I appreciate that they take care of all the other pesky insects, but I don't want them anywhere near me. 

• Love 4

Cockroaches die, along with mosquitoes, flies, and earwigs.  Spiders die only if they touch me.  I really don't like things that have six or more legs, and I really really don't like them if they touch me.  I am disinclined to touch them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

They say that the change you find in your sofa are the spiders trying to pay for their rent.

I'm pretty sure that the change in my sofa is from my son trying to do magic tricks and not picking up after himself.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ABay said:

I've lost count of how many podcasts I gave up on because of the host's voice. "Like" every 3rd word, perpetual uptalk, horribly loud, laugh that makes you want to pierce your own eardrum, etc.. And that's on top of annoying personality.

If I may add glottal stop to the list.  I don't care if it has been around since Jesus was a foot soldier as someone on one of these threads told me, it's annoying and I'd like it gone.  I'm not talking about certain British dialects, in which it seems to be organic, I'm talking about the not-so-organic wearers of buh-in front, cah-in shirts, who like to sip swee-inned tea by the glass.  Just kill me now.

• Love 3

I know it's wrong, but any spiders, ants, flies, roaches, mice, etc. that try to take up residence in my house do not make it if I find them. I have two rules: 1. nature needs to stay outside where it belongs and 2. if you're not contributing to the mortgage, you're out. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

Bed pillows are the bane of my (current) existence.  I need a new one, but hate to shop for one.  There is no good way, that I have found anyway, to test it out before purchase.  I don’t want a “hard” pillow, but I don’t want one a poofy that my head sinks into.  The ones that claim to be cooling are pretty pricy and the few I have tried don’t seem to be any different than the regular ones.  I also have a problem where they seem good for a week or two, then I hate them.  And don’t even get me started on how expensive pillows (and mattress pads) are these days.

I also need a new mattress, but I just don’t have the mental strength to deal with that minefield now.  I hate knowing that I will be stuck with whatever I buy for the next decade or so.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I also need a new mattress, but I just don’t have the mental strength to deal with that minefield now.  I hate knowing that I will be stuck with whatever I buy for the next decade or so.

I got a Sleep Number mattress about 15 years ago, and can't imagine ever having anything else - I can basically dial up whatever mattress I want at any given time.

Pillows, though, I am with you in not having much luck in finding ones I love.  I had a set I bought at Costco a long time ago I quite liked, but didn't write down the brand so could never find them again.  The ones I've had since are okay, but I want to love my pillow the way I love my mattress. 

My parents have two different expensive pillows designed for the way they each sleep, but I guess I don't sleep like either one of them.  When they're gone (back when they could go anywhere) and I cat-sit, I sleep in their bed since it's a king-size Sleep Number and there's a big TV in that bedroom.  So I've tried both pillows, and neither one feels oh that's it! for me to spend that kind of money on.

• Love 2

I'm with y'all ^ on the perpetual pillow pursuance.  My first "My Pillow" purchase seemed good, but with time, no.  The most success I've had in the past 10 years was with a $5 pillow that was sold at a department store where I worked during the recession.  Bastards discontinued them.  Then they went broke and closed.  Served them right.

Tried an expensive one recommended for side sleepers on another thread by several people, and also a 'no' for me.

It's a constant battle.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, emma675 said:

If you have Amazon Prime, it's a good way to test out pillows because they offer free returns on almost all pillows. I think I've tried a half dozen this year and still haven't found the one.

Thanks, I do, good to know.  But still, that whole return thing...I'm a notorious non-returner. <guilt*shame>

I sleep mostly on my side, but I always fall asleep on my back (I fall asleep reading or watching TV every night), and then change positions throughout the night - left side, right side, on my stomach (well, sort of; more kind of on my stomach, kind of on my side), on my back again in the morning so the cat can roll around on my chest and rub my face before I get up. 

It's not about being unable to find a comfortable position, it's just how I've always slept - they're all comfortable, I just don't want to be in one of them all night.  So maybe it's inevitable I'll never find a pillow that's just perfect for me, since I'm lying on it in so many different ways.

• Love 4
On 9/2/2020 at 5:59 PM, theredhead77 said:

Our ReStore says it has to be on the ground floor. There is always a chance I can get the delivery people to move the furniture for cash but that's a risk I can't afford to take.

I just googled "student junk collectors" and got a lot of hits.  The couple I looked at both addressed coronavirus and stuff not on the ground floor, also, taking just one item.

13 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Guessing, Long-term care facility.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my god, I am listening to a podcast and am definitely very interested in the topics, which the guests (2 sisters with a vegan clothing store) appear to know a lot about. And they seem like nice people.. But their voices/affectations are killing me. Helium* crossed with a bit vocal fry. And "Thaaht" for "that," "hondraaad persaaahnt" for "hundred percent," "draahss" for "dress." 

*Which, to be fair, may not be anything they can help.

I think it's pretty rare that people can't alter their voices if they put the effort in.  Margaret Thatcher is known for altering hers, though personally I find the change was for the worse, and the sound of her voice (in a recording) makes me nauseous. 

• Love 1

I can relate to the pillow issue. I need a flat one to relax on my back and a thicker solid one to fall asleep on my left side supporting my neck and shoulder. Right now, I have found the ideal combination. No numb arm or hand, no neck pain on the left from tension that builds up over night. No left shoulder that is always somewhat sore. And the flat one is big enough to support my shoulder blades instead of letting me slide down and thus overstretching the back of my neck.

As for annoying female voices on broadcasts. For some, there is a reason. Technology is often not made nor tested for us.

A Century of Shrill

These days, it's voice recognition technology that doesn't work well for women's voices.

The deadly truth about a world built for men – from stab vests to car crashes

• Love 2

I think it's pretty rare that people can't alter their voices if they put the effort in.  Margaret Thatcher is known for altering hers, though personally I find the change was for the worse, and the sound of her voice (in a recording) makes me nauseous. 

Yeah, I guess--but, yikes, that seems like a difficult thing to do, especially if one's own voice doesn't bother her. Her sister had it too, as well as that "aaah" sound in "dress" (which maybe also isn't her fault, though it sounds to me like a somewhat common affectation lately).

So, the poor Post Office is under fire. I hear everyone say "buy stamps, support the Post Office!" & I think "good idea, I'll do that". I go online to the postal store, buy my stamps, verify all the information is correct, & submit my order. Then I get the email confirming my order, & it has an incorrect "ship to" address, it has my old address, where I haven't lived for 5 years. I know I checked the screen before I clicked on submit & my address was correct, I checked my address in my account on the PO website & it's correct, & my address in Paypal (how I paid) is most certainly correct. The only place it isn't correct is my order. I check the website for help, there is no help for orders at the store, I call the 800 # & there is apparently no access to a live person & none of the choices are "what to do when we screw up your order". I finally get someone to give me an email address they say will help & I sent off an email explaining the problem & hoping for the best, so of course I get the worst. No response & today I get an email saying my order has shipped. To my old address. 

I couldn't cancel my order, I couldn't cancel the payment through Paypal, my local PO couldn't help because they don't handle the stamps, & when I called the PO for my old address they did what they always to, they picked up the phone & hung up. After I saw the shipped email I did the only thing I could think of, I filed a change of address & was given the pleasure of paying $1.05 to verify my address. I'm guessing that the people who bought my old house are going to be enjoying some free stamps. 

Guess who won't be supporting the Post Office anymore?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Bed pillows are the bane of my (current) existence.  I need a new one, but hate to shop for one.  There is no good way, that I have found anyway, to test it out before purchase.  I don’t want a “hard” pillow, but I don’t want one a poofy that my head sinks into.  The ones that claim to be cooling are pretty pricy and the few I have tried don’t seem to be any different than the regular ones.  I also have a problem where they seem good for a week or two, then I hate them.  And don’t even get me started on how expensive pillows (and mattress pads) are these days.

I've had success with two mattress brands.  In the past I've bought Aireloom which is definitely a high quality mattress but a bit pricey.  Currently I sleep on a Saatva mattress.  It's as comfortable and much cheaper.  Plus the cotton is organic and no pesticides are used on it.  Better still, if you choose to return the mattress, it won't go out for resale to the public - it's made available to employees of the company to purchase.  Most don't get returned, maybe swapped out for a different level of firmness.  I highly recommend it!

As for pillows, One of mine is made of bamboo and resembles this one This webpage has more info on bamboo pillows in general and a top 15 list of the best so far.  It's great being a firm-ish pillow but soft enough to cradle the head.  It's worth a try.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I always feel weird returning a pillow to the store.  What do they do with the returns?  Is it possible I am buying a pillow someone else returned?

Good point.  Makes you think you should take a black Sharpie and mark a big black 'X' across the top of the pillow, then return it because it had a big black 'X' across the top.  <shifty> 

• LOL 3

It's illegal in the U.S. for retailers to sell used mattresses. I don't know about pillows, though. I got a couple of Serta pillows maybe 8-9 months ago at Kohl's because I had a gift card that I got for Christmas. They have a nice loft.

I can't remember what my mattress brand is, but it was one of those that came in a big box and filled with air when I unrolled it. It was so incredibly heavy. It's made of ecologically sound material and was mid-priced; I bought it when I was working at the real estate company and making decent money. I hadn't had a new bed in 15 years or so at that point. It's still very comfortable.

• Love 3

I keep looking for a new pillow too as my current one is a flat old pancake of a thing...but I am only allowed to use a corner of it each night as my cat, Le Roi Louis, has decided that it is *his* place to sleep every night and takes up pretty much the whole thing. I thought about buying a new pillow just for me and putting it next to Louis (the bed is queen sized so plenty of room) but I know very well Louis will take over the new one and leave me the pancake in about 30 seconds flat. And I like having my head snuggled up against his furry being so I guess this is not really a pet peeve. Sigh. Sorry!

• Love 9

Y'all have inspired me, I'm going mattress shopping tomorrow. I need a new one for both my room and the guest room, so I need the Labor Day sales. There is a mattress clearance store near my office so I'm going to go clean out my office finally (my position is becoming a permanent work from home one) and then browse the store.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I can't remember what my mattress brand is, but it was one of those that came in a big box and filled with air when I unrolled it.

Is it a Casper? I have a Casper mattress, got it about 4 or 5 years ago, and love it. I also got a couple of Casper pillows, and find them comfortable.

• Useful 2
On 9/4/2020 at 1:20 PM, ABay said:

I tried a new one the other day and the 3 hosts were talking over each other so much that I actually thought that, somehow, my phone was playing 2 separate podcasts at once. 

Also, this is not a peeve but the above just reminded me of a time when I was in a meeting at my office (back when I went to an office) and I bumped my phone or something. And a paused podcast about murder started playing. But, oh--here's a peeve: when this kind of shit happens and the phone screen decides that now is the time to not acknowledge your fingers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I tried a new one the other day and the 3 hosts were talking over each other so much that I actually thought that, somehow, my phone was playing 2 separate podcasts at once. 

Also, this is not a peeve but the above just reminded me of a time when I was in a meeting at my office (back when I went to an office) and I bumped my phone or something. And a paused podcast about murder started playing. But, oh--here's a peeve: when this kind of shit happens and the phone screen decides that now is the time to not acknowledge your fingers.

That could happen at a virtual meeting too.  #justsayin

44 minutes ago, PRgal said:

That could happen at a virtual meeting too.  #justsayin

That's a peeve for me. We have virtual meetings once a week. Every time the same woman gets a call on her phone or her grandson pops over to tell her something, and she has a conversation on the phone or with her grandson every time without muting herself. And the host of the meeting apparently doesn't notice and doesn't mute her (or possibly doesn't know how to mute her).

• Love 1