Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Shingles.  Ugh.  I'm totally NOT looking forward to getting older.  I know it can happen any time, but as part of that 33% (or whatever the stats or for those of us who've had chickenpox)...my dad had it a few years ago and he said it wasn't comfortable.  Question:  If a family member had it, does it increase your chances?  Or is it still 33%?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My pet peeve is why does a movie stay full price to view ( $12.99) for YEARS?  Even when it’s not a big block buster?  I have Amazon, Showtime, and have had Netflix, but this movie stays FULL PRICE!  WTF? It makes me hate the movie. I refuse to party that price. It’s outrageous. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Shingles.  Ugh.  I'm totally NOT looking forward to getting older.  I know it can happen any time, but as part of that 33% (or whatever the stats or for those of us who've had chickenpox)...my dad had it a few years ago and he said it wasn't comfortable.  Question:  If a family member had it, does it increase your chances?  Or is it still 33%?

I can't answer that question, but I have had the 2 Shingles vaccines and have not had it (yet?), and I just turned 68.
My sister, her husband, and her daughter have all had Shingles, beginning long before they were anywhere near old. 
My parents never had the vaccines or Shingles and lived to 91.
We all had chickenpox. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My pet peeve is why does a movie stay full price to view ( $12.99) for YEARS?  Even when it’s not a big block buster?  I have Amazon, Showtime, and have had Netflix, but this movie stays FULL PRICE!  WTF? It makes me hate the movie. I refuse to party that price. It’s outrageous. 

What movie?

The worst things about Shingles is that you can have it over and over.    Some people have nerve pain forever after it.   Plus, if it gets in your eyes, you can have horrible issues.   

An awful story is a friend's daughter, she was in college, was home for summer vacation, and started having head pains, no head aches but worse.   She went to the doctor, and took her mom along to drive, and for moral support.    She told the doctor about her issues, and he was very worried about the possibility of a brain tumor or other issues.   The mother heard this, and called dad to come down, and then the doctor consulted all of his colleagues at the clinic.    One doctor looked at her scalp, and said she had shingles.   Yes, she had Shingles at college age, and it was very bad.   But the way it presented was very strange, and that's why the doctors were so worried.     If anyone even suspects they might have Shingles, they need to go to the doctor immediately, they can give you antivirals (I think that's what they use) that can limit the intensity, and duration.    

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

they can give you antivirals (I think that's what they use)

That's what they gave me, and the meds seem to be helping.  It's a bit less hurty, maybe a little more on the itchy/tingly side of pain.  It's hard to tell if there's a difference in the rash, though.  

On 9/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, Angeltoes said:

My mother was a dietitian for 25 years.  My cousin asked her for a good diet plan.  She said,"Fill your dinner plate with as much food as you want.  Then, just before you get ready to eat, put half of it back."  He said that advice always stuck with him and actually worked for him. 

Using a small plate/bowl is also very helpful.

• Love 5
On 9/15/2020 at 11:53 AM, peacheslatour said:

I hate it too. I used to watch to baking competitions but had to quit and just stick with The Great British Bake Off because of the horrible so called "cakes" constructed primarily of Rice Crispies treats and fondant. Not only are they rotten examples of baking, they're an indefensible waste of food.

I've never understood this, and like you have stopped watching "baking competitions".  How is massaging rice crispies and sugar water "baking"?

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

New peeve: what the hell is with some delivery people leaving packages directly in front of my door, as in: up against the door so it's not possible to open the door without hitting the package. 9/10 when I get something delivered, the package is just to the side of the door on the porch, which is logical because it both allows for opening the door and hides the package behind a column. But lately they end up in front of the door, very conspicuous from the street there's a package there AND door blocking. If it's something small and light, sure I can just open the door into it and let it push the item aside, but with one package I had to go out the side door and walk to the front to move it away and open the door. It was too heavy to do otherwise. It makes no fuckin sense.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

New peeve: what the hell is with some delivery people leaving packages directly in front of my door, as in: up against the door so it's not possible to open the door without hitting the package. 9/10 when I get something delivered, the package is just to the side of the door on the porch, which is logical because it both allows for opening the door and hides the package behind a column. But lately they end up in front of the door, very conspicuous from the street there's a package there AND door blocking. If it's something small and light, sure I can just open the door into it and let it push the item aside, but with one package I had to go out the side door and walk to the front to move it away and open the door. It was too heavy to do otherwise. It makes no fuckin sense.

I know!  I was considering posting the same thing the other day.  That, and not ringing the doorbell.  I think the UPS guy normally rings the bell, but Amazon/USPS/FedEx almost never (if ever) do.  I forget which delivery service it was that left my big desktop computer, in a box covered with pictures of it, on the edge of my porch, in the rain, no doorbell.  Uggh!

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

That, and not ringing the doorbell. 

They used to be so good about it, but I had something delivered (via FedEx) a couple of weeks ago and no knock or ring to let me know.  They sent me an email saying "your package has been delivered", but I didn't happen to check email until about an hour later.  Yet a few days later, the rest of the shipment arrived (so, also FedEx), and that time the driver rang the doorbell so I was able to bring it in right away.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I know!  I was considering posting the same thing the other day.  That, and not ringing the doorbell.  I think the UPS guy normally rings the bell, but Amazon/USPS/FedEx almost never (if ever) do.  I forget which delivery service it was that left my big desktop computer, in a box covered with pictures of it, on the edge of my porch, in the rain, no doorbell.  Uggh!

I am now relieved when they leave the package next to my door and not the neighbor's.
Once in the last few years they rang the bell. I think I did a little happy dance. 
Poor package delivery is a major pet peeve of mine. I am old enough to remember when they rang or knocked and waited for a signature. 
But they have now conditioned me to be satisfied if it's at the right building and not too wet. Sheesh. 

• Love 2

Yes to all the ^above package delivery peeves!  My husband and I are constantly amazed at the lack of effort given by delivery companies to place the packages in a logical manner.  By that I mean in our case, we have wooden railing on either side of our entrance steps, which while not a privacy enclosure, would help to make the deliveries less obvious from the street.  Do they ever place the pkg behind them?  Uh no.  The Chewy deliveries (I think from FedEx) are large, heavy boxes of cat litter 'n such, and are often placed directly in front of the door, actually blocking the door from being opened.  I mean, are these people ticked off by the inconvenience of the package so they're punishing me?  Maddening.  I really do feel like the package delivery companies are doing little to help fight the porch pirate thing.  Their revenues have to be up tremendously, but they seem unwilling to do anything beyond the basics.

• Love 4

Another yes to the package delivery peeves. My local USPS about 1/2 the time leaves the packages on top of my mailbox out on the street! UPS brings them down my dirt road and honks as they pull in as does FedEx. But some of the USPS employees are too lazy to do that. Yesterday I got a box delivered by USPS and she brought it to my door honking her horn as she pulled in. I thanked her profusely for bringing it to me. She said they are supposed to if it doesn't fit in the box. I told her many times my packages are left on top of my box on the street.  And we have been having a rash of porch pirates in this area. I have to keep checking my tracking to see when it is delivered so I can drive up to the street as soon as it shows "Delivered". Annoying!

I don't get many packages delivered, so I don't have as much data to go on as many people do, but in my experience USPS and UPS drivers are better than FedEx.  I have a stone column on my front porch, and the first two grasp that if I'm not home (which, again - hello, ascertain that by knocking/ringing, especially now when so many people are home during the day!) it's best to leave the package behind that, while FedEx just leans it up against the wall next to the door or on the mat in front of the door.

(For a while, I had a UPS driver who would, if I was not home, leave packages on my back porch.)

• Love 3

In the past couple of decades, things have gone from "we really should become more involved in our own healthcare", to "our doctors really should become more involved in our healthcare."  At least that's been my experience.  These folks have (or certainly should have) the most cutting edge technology available at their fingertips, yet every appointment begins with "any new or changed medications since your last visit?"  Um, seems like you should know that, at least in my smallish region where one mega corporation pretty much owns all of the healthcare providers which employ the folks writing the prescriptions.

Lots of folks (including doctors) like to make fun of Doctor Google, WebMD etc., but I have learned a lot from these sources, and in fact have shared info learned with doctors, followed by "hmm, I'll have to check into that."  Do I live my life according to the internet?  Of course not, but it's nice to have a resource for information that doesn't ask for your insurance card and a copay just to walk in the door.

I love the pharmaceutical ads on TV that tell us, "don't take Miracle Pill if you're allergic to Miracle Pill".  Gee thanks.  I was hoping my doctor, who prescribed Miracle Pill, was aware of my med allergies, since they ask every.single.fkng.time.I.see.them.

It is unfortunate that the older I get, and spend more of my time visiting and relying on the medical community, I become more embittered and cynical about same.  

-End of rant-

• Love 11
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I shouldn't be the string between the two tin cans I have for doctors.   They can call each other and hash things out, no need to climb into my tree and act like a nut.  Do they think I am a fuckin' squirrel? 

I love your metaphors here.  
I have similar issues with my healthcare professionals, but cannot wax so eloquent.
It’s kind of similar to my low expectations for today’s package delivery services: I am grateful when they manage to get it right but never expect them to do so. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

In the past couple of decades, things have gone from "we really should become more involved in our own healthcare", to "our doctors really should become more involved in our healthcare."  At least that's been my experience.  These folks have (or certainly should have) the most cutting edge technology available at their fingertips, yet every appointment begins with "any new or changed medications since your last visit?"  Um, seems like you should know that, at least in my smallish region where one mega corporation pretty much owns all of the healthcare providers which employ the folks writing the prescriptions.

This drives me bananas. I live in a fairly major metropolitan region and there are only two major medical corporations that own everything. With the exception of my trip to the ER after my car wreck, I go to major corp #1 for all of my medical needs--primary care, psychiatry, etc. They aren't even in my "network" because I have bare-bones insurance, but I've been going to the same providers for years and I like them, so I'm not changing. Yet every visit, we have to go through the medications dance as if everything isn't in their system because they prescribed them all to me. Come on, man!

Yes, I get I could've stopped taking medication xyz, but I didn't. They've known me for years. Years!

• Love 4
On 9/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, peacheslatour said:

What movie?

Still Alice.  It's about a woman (Juliette Moore), who gets early age onset Alzheimers.  It's not a new movie and was not a blockbuster hit, but, I have yet to see it free on any networks.  It's really weird.  Why does it stay $12.99 for years?  I don't get it.  It's a 2014 movie. 

• Useful 1
20 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Still Alice.  It's about a woman (Juliette Moore), who gets early age onset Alzheimers.  It's not a new movie and was not a blockbuster hit, but, I have yet to see it free on any networks.  It's really weird.  Why does it stay $12.99 for years?  I don't get it.  It's a 2014 movie. 

It's on sale on Amazon Prime for $7.99

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Still Alice.  It's about a woman (Juliette Moore), who gets early age onset Alzheimers. 

Read the book and skip the movie.  The book is so much better.

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

With the exception of my trip to the ER after my car wreck, I go to major corp #1 for all of my medical needs--primary care, psychiatry, etc. They aren't even in my "network" because I have bare-bones insurance, but I've been going to the same providers for years and I like them, so I'm not changing.

Yes, but they don't know for sure you haven't been to major corp #2, or even to the urgent care/med-express/whatever it's called where you live.  Or even whether or not you've started taking some over-the-counter thing that might be helpful to know about.  I discovered that I had to pay out-of-network for visiting one of those recently, so I'm sure the meds they prescribed are not included in my regular chart. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That's so weird. A couple years ago I wanted to get a copy of Wuthering Heights with Olivier and Oberon. It's decades old and the one copy they had on Amazon was !$750.00! I found a more reasonably priced one at Ebay so I ordered it. It was in Korean and I can only get English if I mess around with the menu for about fifteen minutes.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

My doctor wants me to get a blood pressure monitor for home use.  I said to him, "What good is it when all of the ones I have looked at have reliability issues according to reviews?"

FWIW, the monitors made by a company name Omron are generally considered the best for home use. The tough thing about online reviews from users for these types of devices in general is: off-readings can be due to user-error, not the device. So it's usually more useful to take device recommendations from doctors than based on online reviews. A one-star "It didn't work when I didn't use it the way the instructions said to" still throws off the average.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's so weird. A couple years ago I wanted to get a copy of Wuthering Heights with Olivier and Oberon. It's decades old and the one copy they had on Amazon was !$750.00! I found a more reasonably priced one at Ebay so I ordered it. It was in Korean and I can only get English if I mess around with the menu for about fifteen minutes.

I think movies on physical media like DVD have a limited run from what I’ve observed.  A number of years ago I was looking to get a copy of This Island Earth (a Sci-fi movie) after seeing it on TV.  I found it on Amazon for an obscene price so I passed.  Never thought about eBay.  Anyway, the movie was reissued on DVD not too long afterwards for a reasonable price so I jumped on it.  The disk I got just had the movie, no extras.  I am wondering if anyone would really pay a high price for that one copy of a movie that was released on DVD long ago.  The good movies always seem to be reissued every so often like on an anniversary. 

17 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

FWIW, the monitors made by a company name Omron are generally considered the best for home use. The tough thing about online reviews from users for these types of devices in general is: off-readings can be due to user-error, not the device. So it's usually more useful to take device recommendations from doctors than based on online reviews. A one-star "It didn't work when I didn't use it the way the instructions said to" still throws off the average.

I think that’s the brand of the one my parents used.  It got a lot of use and never heard any complaints about the readings.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I saw it several years ago on one of the premium cable networks while I was cat-sitting at my parents' house.  I don't remember which one; their package just includes Starz, but it might have been during a free preview of Showtime or HBO.  It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be, but there were some good performances and affecting moments.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This won't work for everyone, but I just checked my local public library and they have 5 copies of it available.  I keep forgetting that's an option.  I have holds on several recent movies/tv series that aren't free on any of the streaming services I have.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Thanks for the tips.  I'll check them out.  I don't know if I still have a DVD player.   I mainly look at things from Amazon, Showtime, etc. I need to get one though, because, I do have some good old DVDs.   I did find an OLD VCR in storage and recently hooked it up to run through some old tapes and see what needs converting to digital.  Talk about a blast from the past!  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I love the pharmaceutical ads on TV that tell us, "don't take Miracle Pill if you're allergic to Miracle Pill".  Gee thanks.  I was hoping my doctor, who prescribed Miracle Pill, was aware of my med allergies, since they ask every.single.fkng.time.I.see.them.

I give them a pass on the meds just because its so important not to be wrong about that.

What makes me crazy is when they hand out a questionnaire on your medical history and then ask all the questions again like you didn't fill out the form.  It feels like they are trying to catch you in a lie.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I give them a pass on the meds just because its so important not to be wrong about that.

What makes me crazy is when they hand out a questionnaire on your medical history and then ask all the questions again like you didn't fill out the form.  It feels like they are trying to catch you in a lie.

My doctor just has me do it online so I don't have to do it while I'm waiting. I go right in.

13 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

When I went to the doctor the other day, the nurse had told me I had lost a lot of weight since my previous visit.  I had no clue I had lost that much weight.

When I had that experience the doctor should have ordered a colonoscopy for me, but no, and not at the next annual either. By the time I noticed a lump, I had stage IV cancer.
Sorry. I always default to *cancer* now when I notice people have lost weight. 
And I also am of the "expect the worst so you won't be disappointed or unpleasantly surprised" school of thought. 

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

And I also am of the "expect the worst so you won't be disappointed or unpleasantly surprised" school of thought. 

Me too!!  I just can't help it. This reminds me of an episode of the Rhoda show. I can't remember the storyline but Rhoda hits the intercom.  Carlton The Doorman comes on, Rhoda tells him something & he responds in his depressed voice, "Avoid disappointment. Aim low". Of course, that cracked me up. But as a professional worrywart, that was good advice!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

When I went to the doctor the other day, the nurse had told me I had lost a lot of weight since my previous visit.  I had no clue I had lost that much weight.  In theory, losing weight should have caused my blood pressure to drop.  It turns out that my blood pressure has skyrocketed.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Sorry. I always default to *cancer* now when I notice people have lost weight.

I lost a good deal of weight last year - the first bunch of it was without doing much of anything special. Turned out my glucose levels were very high - doctor said that could cause unexplained weight loss. It also led to other issues before I got it under control. I did lose a bunch more after that, but by taking deliberate actions. I was doing well until this summer, when we were working from home and it was 842 degrees at 9pm so we couldn't walk every evening after dinner. I put a few pounds back on, but it seems the heat has finally broken, and we've been able to get out for the past three or four days again.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Does it count as a "peeve" to say that I just want to scream at everything right now?

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Works for me. Lord knows I'm wanting to do the same thing. 

We can form a trio, anger seems to be my default feeling now.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, bilgistic said:
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Does it count as a "peeve" to say that I just want to scream at everything right now?

Scream inside your heart!

That doesn’t sound like very good advice to me  in general. And although it makes sense for not spreading germs on a roller coaster, it seems to defeat the purpose of riding one. 
Screaming into pillows used to be a popular therapy. I’m saving that one for January —if needed.  

• Love 2

My pet peeve is combined with some paranoia:

I got an email in my work email from a manager helping out with the project I’m a part of asking for constructive criticism about the project (or it may have been about the group with the way it was phrased, who knows) such as what do you like, what would you change.  She prefaced it by listing the names of the job roles the questions were directed towards - mine was not listed nor was a coworkers (2 people).  The email distribution was by name and the 2 of us were listed first followed by the 5 other people on the team who fill the roles she mentioned.   So my pet peeve is you should know what functions the people you’re addressing your questions to before you call the roles out.  It looks like she thinks she does but really doesn’t.  I don’t know.    

Then my paranoia is I’m not sure what this is about.  We have debrief sessions every few weeks to discuss the successes and failures as a group and it’s open.  Everyone hears everyone else’s comments.  Yet this manager is asking for this criticism out of the blue and through email where the responses may be misconstrued.  She did not copy anyone in management (such as the person heading up the project, who happens to be my hiring manager) so I don’t know what’s up with that.  I’m assuming she did this with the other teams related to this same project.  I’d feel more comfortable offering some criticism if at least the one responsible for its success was copied on the email.  I don’t have anything really bad to say but this seems suspicious to me. 

The website where I log into my Credit card account isn't working. It's basically stuck getting to the login page. I emailed on Friday. No answer. None of Opera, Firefox or Chrome work and neither of my computers. I realize I might be alone in checking my account daily but still.