Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

@Yeah No Is Loehman's still in business? I remember going to the one in the Bronx (the one under the el) and being shocked when I walked into the dressing room. No individual sections, just one big, open room 😁.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

@Yeah No Is Loehman's still in business? I remember going to the one in the Bronx (the one under the el) and being shocked when I walked into the dressing room. No individual sections, just one big, open room 😁.

All of the locations that were left closed in 2014. 

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

That one was in my old neighborhood.  It was in an old ice skating rink I went to as a kid.  Unfortunately the Loehmann's chain is no more.  It went bankrupt and all stores closed in 2014 according to Wikipedia.

Haha, I remember those open dressing rooms in the Bronx, especially in stores on Fordham Rd.  When I was a little kid my mother used to take me to the Loehmann's on Fordham Rd. in what used to be a movie theater.  I used to play hide and seek with the other kids in the store while she perused the racks, LOL.  Those were the days!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 2/28/2024 at 5:37 PM, peacheslatour said:

Do you us Amazon Fresh, Grub Hub, Doordash or something else?

Just our local Stop & Shop. But I will do an InstaCart when I am feeling lazy* and/or need just a few things, eg, like if we decide to have friends over and need some snacks and stuff. 

*But not really; while I'm waiting for InstaCart with the guest snacks, I am probably cleaning and vacuuming...even though the friends are typically people I've known for decades and probably don't care about a little cat hair on the couch!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1

My current pet peeve is what's started happening to different forums here completely disappearing with little or no notice at all. It's starting to feel like all of the snark that goes on at PT as a whole is going to get squeezed out like juice in a lemon. 

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 7
14 minutes ago, Jaded said:

My current pet peeve is what's started happening to different forums here completely disappearing with little or no notice at all. It's starting to feel like all of the snark that goes on at PT as a whole is going to get squeezed out like juice in a lemon. 

Spill! I haven’t noticed anything missing yet but I might not realize something’s gone until I go to post. What have you found missing?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Spill! I haven’t noticed anything missing yet but I might not realize something’s gone until I go to post. What have you found missing?

The Shopping Channel forum is now closed

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 4
14 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

There's a post about it in the Site Business forum in the Announcements thread. 

As in why they're closing forums or specifically the Shopping Channel one?  Because I don't see either?  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

As in why they're closing forums or specifically the Shopping Channel one?  Because I don't see either?  

• Hugs 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

There's a post about it in the Site Business forum in the Announcements thread. 

I couldn’t find the post. This is disappointing. I used to like that thread. 

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
36 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I couldn’t find the post. This is disappointing. I used to like that thread. 

It's in the body of the post linked about - Light-Path Forums. 

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

Or they get locked. I think this site is going to shut down for good.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 5

This is getting strange. The whole point of this site was to snark on shows. Then we have the small talk (within show topics) and chit chat threads like this for nice communication between posters.  I don’t get what they want. 

• Like 14
  • Hugs 1
5 hours ago, ebk57 said:

It's in the body of the post linked about - Light-Path Forums. 

Yes, to anyone still struggling, you have to click the arrow in the upper right corner of that image of the post.  But here's the regular text link to he page anyway:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/143860-light-paths-forums/#comment-8301188

40 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This is getting strange. The whole point of this site was to snark on shows. Then we have the small talk (within show topics) and chit chat threads like this for nice communication between posters.  I don’t get what they want. 

I can understand putting threads on notice and warning individuals if necessary, but if it's about behavior and not the thread itself, shutting it down altogether seems excessive in my opinion.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1

I've seen threads here where posters incessantly keep repeating themselves, constantly arguing against someone else's opinion even after warnings. I don't want to mention which ones but one was shut down, another was for a TV show that doesn't air anymore, so the thread itself quieted down. But I can see that some shows may be prone to that kind of behaviour. I'm guessing that it's not about voicing an opinion about the TV show but how that is voiced and possibly repeated constantly. And if it's a reality TV show, actual people get attacked in various ways, not fictional characters. That can get uncomfortable when repeated constantly. Granted, I don't watch this stuff, so I don't actually participate in those but, giving the moderators the benefit of doubt, I'm guessing that is something they want to shut down if posters can't reign it in. 

Just to give a hypothetical example. There is a difference between snarking on a fictional TV character's dress sense vs snarking on a real person's weight gain.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

I've seen threads here where posters incessantly keep repeating themselves, constantly arguing against someone else's opinion even after warnings. I don't want to mention which ones but one was shut down, another was for a TV show that doesn't air anymore, so the thread itself quieted down. But I can see that some shows may be prone to that kind of behaviour. I'm guessing that it's not about voicing an opinion about the TV show but how that is voiced and possibly repeated constantly. And if it's a reality TV show, actual people get attacked in various ways, not fictional characters. That can get uncomfortable when repeated constantly. Granted, I don't watch this stuff, so I don't actually participate in those but, giving the moderators the benefit of doubt, I'm guessing that is something they want to shut down if posters can't reign it in. 

I hear you, but I just wish there was a way to address this problem without making all of us not engaging in the behavior pay for it. When I was asked to respond to a questionnaire about moderation that was the one thing I said - I don't mind moderating bad behavior when necessary but I do mind it when everyone not engaging in the bad behavior is in effect also punished for it. It reminds me of when I was in school and the teacher would punish the whole class for the bad behavior of one or two people. 

• Like 14
  • Hugs 1
3 hours ago, supposebly said:

I'm guessing that it's not about voicing an opinion about the TV show but how that is voiced and possibly repeated constantly. And if it's a reality TV show, actual people get attacked in various ways, not fictional characters.

Not true. There’s a warning (culture check) in General Hospital thread that we can’t say bad things or express wanting bad things to happen to bad characters. FICTIONAL characters.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 10
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1

I haven’t checked YR today but yikes, there are so many nicknames in that forum for characters  that  I am sure we are next on being put in a naughty chair.

• Hugs 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
39 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I haven’t checked YR today but yikes, there are so many nicknames in that forum for characters  that  I am sure we are next on being put in a naughty chair.

And I have a choice select nicknames for the Michael Corleone wannabe-but Is actually Phillip Tataglia, and two others (those who have been there know what names I have); and now I won’t be able to refer to DA Branch on Law & Order  with my special but apt nickname or the one for Serena.

• Useful 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, supposebly said:

Just to give a hypothetical example. There is a difference between snarking on a fictional TV character's dress sense vs snarking on a real person's weight gain.

I've been caught in a back-and-forth like that, a few times, because other people kept responding, and I didn't know if I should respond, or just ignore. I recently had that happen on reddit, with a season finale, and I finally had to say, "I really don't care enough to keep this up." 

❤️ to those of you who responded to me. Just the usual worries. I'm not feeling that talkative, but I might vent when something improves. 

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 5
8 hours ago, supposebly said:

I think in general online forums just kind of lead to that.  People will say things to each other online they wouldn't to their face.  

I mean at least here it's just discussing television the threads you elude too not more heavier stuff.  That's when I noticed people just more or less result to personal insults to plead their cases.  Pathetic people really imo.  

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I remember a kerfuffle about a certain character we were calling OADCW Courtney. We had a bit of trouble over that.

I felt like it was the beginning of the end when the Royals forum was shut down.  The only thread that people were really  opinionated or passionate about was the one for Harry and Meghan.  People seemed free to express themselves and you could ignore anything you didn't like, you were not required to read every word.  I don't understand what is so difficult about that.  As long as people are not directing the posts toward others on a personal level, I don't see the harm.

• Like 11

I agree with this. Ban the problematic posters, don't eliminate the whole forum. There were a few who kept changing their screen names and coming back to be offended all over again. Keep getting rid of them till they're tired of returning. I remember that happening on other boards. I don't think it's impossible.

• Like 15
11 hours ago, supposebly said:

Granted, I don't watch this stuff, so I don't actually participate in those but, giving the moderators the benefit of doubt, I'm guessing that is something they want to shut down if posters can't reign it in. 

What's going on currently is DEI taken way too far and is the kind of stuff people use to mock it's very existence. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 5
On 3/2/2024 at 9:10 AM, supposebly said:

I'm on threads where people repeat their opinions a lot because we're always talking about the same people with the same problems, but we all get into it together and have a "say it, sister/brother/whoever" reaction to it, and it's just accepted.  I remember on other chat boards members would be encouraged to tune out opinions they didn't agree with or respond respectfully, not in a confrontational manner.  On the other hand, posters were also encouraged not to churn over a certain topic ad nauseum and if a mod. felt that was happening too much they would remove posts and warn the people involved.  But again, that was addressing the people involved, not making the whole thread pay for it.  I remember mods. here interjecting with, "OK I think we've covered this topic enough, let's move on".  I don't see what's wrong with that.

• Like 8

I was thinking this over again and think part of the problem is that some of the repeat offenders may get banned but then find ways around being ID'd by the mods. and rejoin under a different ID and name so they just jump right back onto the threads in question and repeat the combative behavior.  There are ways to deal with that, some of which might not be too expensive.  I remember one board I was on (was it TWOP or one of its similar sites?) where new members joined on a probationary basis until they posted a certain number of posts, like 50 or so, until which the rules are stricter and any kind of combative or flaming post could get them removed immediately up to moderator discretion.  That wouldn't completely solve the problem but it would discourage people from easily joining again right away or keeping alternate screen IDs around to rotate for that purpose.  Another solution is to find better ways to ID people beyond IP address, such as making them join under a "real name" basis, which is then verified by another entity specializing in verification.  Or they could join with Facebook or Google, or anything that makes it harder to just join ten million times whenever they're kicked off.  

Anyway, those are just some thoughts rolling around in my brain.

• Like 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, Suzn said:

I felt like it was the beginning of the end when the Royals forum was shut down.  The only thread that people were really  opinionated or passionate about was the one for Harry and Meghan.  People seemed free to express themselves and you could ignore anything you didn't like, you were not required to read every word.  I don't understand what is so difficult about that.  As long as people are not directing the posts toward others on a personal level, I don't see the harm.

The announcement regarding the closure of the Royals forums very clearly indicates that they were being closed because those threads had become a toxic environment of hate.  Much of the hate was racist in nature  Certain posters would repeatedly ramp up their rhetoric and post hateful and often racist content on a daily basis.  I'm not surprised that the site ownership decided that was something that they didn't want to support.

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
31 minutes ago, blackwing said:

The announcement regarding the closure of the Royals forums very clearly indicates that they were being closed because those threads had become a toxic environment of hate.  Much of the hate was racist in nature  Certain posters would repeatedly ramp up their rhetoric and post hateful and often racist content on a daily basis.  I'm not surprised that the site ownership decided that was something that they didn't want to support.

I read it regularly and did not find it toxic.  There were posters who found any criticism of Meghan to be racist. It's too easy to call posters you disagree with haters and racists.

• Like 14
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I was thinking this over again and think part of the problem is that some of the repeat offenders may get banned but then find ways around being ID'd by the mods. and rejoin under a different ID and name so they just jump right back onto the threads in question and repeat the combative behavior.  There are ways to deal with that, some of which might not be too expensive.  I remember one board I was on (was it TWOP or one of its similar sites?) where new members joined on a probationary basis until they posted a certain number of posts, like 50 or so, until which the rules are stricter and any kind of combative or flaming post could get them removed immediately up to moderator discretion.  That wouldn't completely solve the problem but it would discourage people from easily joining again right away or keeping alternate screen IDs around to rotate for that purpose.  Another solution is to find better ways to ID people beyond IP address, such as making them join under a "real name" basis, which is then verified by another entity specializing in verification.  Or they could join with Facebook or Google, or anything that makes it harder to just join ten million times whenever they're kicked off.  

Anyway, those are just some thoughts rolling around in my brain.

Good lord, that sounds exhausting.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
On 2/28/2024 at 6:59 AM, ABay said:

Losing puzzle pieces. Where did it go?? I remember putting it in place but it has vanished. I slid the puzzle across the board and pieces piled up and this one has disappeared. It's not on the floor, it's not between the chair cushion and side. It has entered another dimension, perhaps the one where missing socks go.

With me, it's Scrabble tiles. And I accidentally washed one when I was doing laundry and it got all faded. Don't ask me how a Scrabble tile got in the laundry. Luckily, I can buy replacement tiles on-line.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

On an entirely different forum (not here), I defended a certain Royal, after seeing a thread start out with faux concern, like dipping their toe in the water, as to how they might be received. Once the thread turned fully hateful, I responded to something (not being unkind, just not slamming her), and the OP tore into me, like I'd mortally wounded someone. I told them they should have just stated at the beginning, that it was a hate thread, but that would be admitting that she could never do anything right, they just don't like her. They love the worst kind of conspiracy theories. That is when I actually started to become snarky. A new-age site, people who think they're spiritually superior, and they really aren't. 

I remember one thing repeated, when it came to her, and others, like Taylor Swift. "she's just doing it for attention." So, don't give it to her. If all of their haters just stopped paying attention to them, it would cut it in half, I'm sure of it. But that would be no fun for them. they like giving them negative attention. 

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I read it regularly and did not find it toxic.  There were posters who found any criticism of Meghan to be racist. It's too easy to call posters you disagree with haters and racists.

I don't think it's productive to re-open debate, but there were racist comments posted quite often, including comments such as "she's not black enough to be considered black" or that "her hair isn't black enough".or "her kids look white so if she's really black like she says she is then those kids must not be hers".

The community manager who was in charge ot the Royals forums was fired.  The entire Royals forums was removed from this site.  The entire site has been overhauled with new initiatives and measures to promote a healthy culture of discussion.  This was not done just because a few people had a different opinion.

If you didn't find the threads to be toxic and you think the site was overreacting, I suggest that you could reach out to Jed, the site publisher, to get a more detailed explanation.

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't think it's productive to re-open debate, but there were racist comments posted quite often, including comments such as "she's not black enough to be considered black" or that "her hair isn't black enough".or "her kids look white so if she's really black like she says she is then those kids must not be hers".

The community manager who was in charge ot the Royals forums was fired.  The entire Royals forums was removed from this site.  The entire site has been overhauled with new initiatives and measures to promote a healthy culture of discussion.  This was not done just because a few people had a different opinion.

If you didn't find the threads to be toxic and you think the site was overreacting, I suggest that you could reach out to Jed, the site publisher, to get a more detailed explanation.

I don't remember comments anything like those, nor would I defend comments like that. I'm not going to get into a debate, so no more from me.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

I meant to add that I don't think everyone who doesn't like them, is a horrible person. I was specifically talking about people I know, either personally, or on other sites. I don't like everyone. My people that I can't ignore, are political figures who won't stop trying to do us dirty. I don't body shame them, I won't talk about their looks, but I will shame their attitudes and what they're actively working for, from here to eternity. 

• Like 4
(edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 3:08 PM, Suzn said:

As long as people are not directing the posts toward others on a personal level, I don't see the harm.

Racist, sexist, etc. content (slurs, obviously, but also stereotypes and microaggressions) is harmful even when directed at a fictional character, not another poster.  Moderators were consistently worse at dealing with some types of discriminatory/shaming content than others.  I don't know if these recent changes are aimed at correcting that, but it would improve what is already one of the most civilized pockets of the internet. 

I guess they're looking for additional moderators again -- I got an invitation to apply that was not personalized this time as opposed to last, so presumably it went to a lot of people?  I don't dig the idea of this place being work (especially unpaid work, heh) for me, though, instead of my pleasant distraction.  I'm kind of curious what the application process would reveal about what they're looking to keep and change, but not enough to go through it -- I just don't think I have it in me, as frivolous as it may sound on the surface.  I already moderate on NextDoor (where there is appallingly little screening and training for moderators, only actions taken after the fact), and it can be annoying to have to read stuff you wouldn't normally read for proper context to rule on reports, and, more importantly,  sometimes there's a dumpster fire thread that results in a significant percentage of the replies being reported, and even though they're clear violations so it's not as time consuming as it could be, it gets disheartening to have to wade through that toxicity.  Selfish though it may be, I want to continue to use this site without putting in the work beyond trying to redirect and reporting.

I don't know what kind of budget sites like this operate with, but the best thing for any discussion forum would be a team of moderators for whom this is their job -- trained, paid, reviewed, and, if necessary, canned, the whole shebang.  NextDoor uses a combination of volunteer local moderators and paid staff; reports of civility violations go to the community moderators, but reports of discrimination go to both, so that staff can step in and remove any content incorrectly left to stand by the volunteers, and reports of prohibited misinformation go only to staff, a team educated and trained on such issues.  These changes made over the past few years made a difference, at least in my area.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Aligners. I like to snack and drink coffee and tea. I am trying to get better about waiting after I eat/drink to brush in order to be careful with my enamel, but also brush before putting aligners on to prevent cavities. It's a lot of brushing. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Oh, and on a much lighter note: I can't find my pants.  When I'm wearing lounge clothes and don't shower before bed, I don't change into pajamas, I just take off my pants and any sweatshirt/cardigan I'm wearing and crawl into bed in my tank top and panties.  I woke up this morning, went to put them back on, and -- my sweatshirt is on the dresser, but not my lounge pants.  Maybe they slid off behind the dresser.  Nope.  Okay, did I take them off in the bathroom?  They're not there.  They're not in the hamper or washing machine.  I thought maybe I tossed them on the floor and they slid under the bed, but nope.  I remembered I got the leg bottoms wet when I took some trash out right before bed, so thought maybe I took them off right when I got back in the house.  Nope, not there, either.  I walked through the whole house -- no pants.  What in the world did I do with them?!  If I'm going to go an a hunt for last night's pants, I really prefer it to be following a much more interesting evening than the one I had!

Edited by Bastet
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, Suzn said:

I don't remember comments anything like those, nor would I defend comments like that. I'm not going to get into a debate, so no more from me.

I was there daily and the examples provided did not happen. 

eta what did happen was a poster who was a troll would bring over those types of comments that THEY were reading elsewhere from media/social and try to bait posters into commenting.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Racist, sexist, etc. content (slurs, obviously, but also stereotypes and microaggressions) is harmful even when directed at a fictional character, not another poster. 

Of course, I didn't mean that racist, etc comments are not harmful....only that expressing different opinions does not cause harm....

• Like 1

I used to think people in general are just assholes.  But I’m changing my opinion to more people in general I don’t think are good listeners 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, and on a much lighter note: I can't find my pants. 

Under the other puzzle pieces?  Oh sorry, wrong poster. 

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I walked through the whole house -- no pants.

Otherwise known as Porky Pigging It

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7

I accidentally ended up on this movie when I went to use my Netflix account. Literally that was my only option on my smart tv. I tried the back arrow, the return, the FF or reverse, and yet my only option was to watch the movie they chose or pause. I was not even able to turn off the telly with my remote! Have any of you ever had a high jacking of your screen? My only option was to unplug it. 

• Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I was there daily and the examples provided did not happen. 

eta what did happen was a poster who was a troll would bring over those types of comments that THEY were reading elsewhere from media/social and try to bait posters into commenting.

If it really were only a troll that was doing that I would think there were easier ways to deal with that person and not shut down an entire thread over it.  So I am still confused about it.

It could be that there were other offending posts that were taken down by the  mods. before a lot of people saw them.  I've been on threads where I realized that something had gone down and the mods. had removed some offensive stuff before I got there.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, and on a much lighter note: I can't find my pants.  When I'm wearing lounge clothes and don't shower before bed, I don't change into pajamas, I just take off my pants and any sweatshirt/cardigan I'm wearing and crawl into bed in my tank top and panties.  I woke up this morning, went to put them back on, and -- my sweatshirt is on the dresser, but not my lounge pants.  Maybe they slid off behind the dresser.  Nope.  Okay, did I take them off in the bathroom?  They're not there.  They're not in the hamper or washing machine.  I thought maybe I tossed them on the floor and they slid under the bed, but nope.  I remembered I got the leg bottoms wet when I took some trash out right before bed, so thought maybe I took them off right when I got back in the house.  Nope, not there, either.  I walked through the whole house -- no pants.  What in the world did I do with them?!  If I'm going to go an a hunt for last night's pants, I really prefer it to be following a much more interesting evening than the one I had!

I've had stuff like that happen.  Did you look under the dresser if it has a space between it and the floor?  I can't believe how many times stuff falls under furniture in my house even when it appears to defy the laws of physics in the process, LOL.

I once had something like that happen and found the article of clothing between my sheets and my comforter.  I didn't find it until I went to change the sheets.

Or once I found a lost clothing piece wrapped up inside another one.  I was going out of my mind and then when I did laundry I found the top inside the pant leg of the pants I last wore it with, LOL.  I have no idea how that happened.  Maybe your pants got lost inside the sweatshirt?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1