Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)

This morning the banner was gone on my laptop.  Now it just came back.  Weird.

The arrow is still in the middle of the screen on the right - that's the "jump to top" arrow that usually sits on the bottom of the page, not the middle.

I posted in that "bugs" thread but it has to be approved by a moderator.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yup...the old mumble-to-get-a-human on the phone isn't working so well any more. I think they're on to us. 🤬

I'm convinced that there's a conspiracy to prevent customers from reaching an actual human being.  And even if you do they're usually just a "body" and not someone that can actually help you.  They'll spend 5 minutes telling you all about how they are going to help you but never actually do.  Even if they try to put you through to someone else that might help you, you usually end up in an endless loop of hell that ends up going nowhere.

Some companies push you toward using their chat function but often you're talking to a bot that either doesn't understand the issue or falls short of actually helping you.  If you're lucky it will give you the option to use the chat feature to reach an actual human and in some of those cases I've actually reached a helpful human that solved my problem quickly.  I'm actually preferring the chat function in many cases because of that.

• Sad 3
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

When I worked as a customer support, I once had a call when the customer (after we had been speaking for a while!) insisted that she wants to speak to "a real, living person". I replied that she is speaking to a real living person, to which my coworkers sitting next to me started laughing. Not the weirdest call I had. What was funny, we didn't have any kind of automatic operator, it was just the 3 of us taking calls. I don't know if she had experience like that from other support lines or if she thought my voice sounded too monotone or what. But at least we had a good laugh about it. 

Edited by JustHereForFood
  • LOL 9

I suppose that often people are just trying to be friendly. Or perhaps they don't read social cues well. Or something. But still, when I'm sitting in waiting area in a place like a hair salon or doctor's office, or riding public transportation, and I'm reading a book (either a printed book or an ebook on my iPad mini or Kindle) - I hate it when a random stranger near me asks me if I'm enjoying the book, clearly just wanting to start a conversation. Geez. If I wanted to converse with them I wouldn't be absorbed in what I'm reading. 

It doesn't bother me if said stranger asks something relevant like, do I know if Main Street is the next stop, or where's the bathroom. I'm not a grouch and I don't mind answering questions if I can help someone. And then I can get back to reading my book. Ahem.

It happened yesterday in a hair salon. I knew there could be a wait, so I'd brought my iPad and was reading a book on the Kindle app. Guy came in, not a creep or anything, definitely old (almost as old as me), sat a few chairs away. I heard him pick up a magazine, but in a hot minute he was asking me if I was enjoying my book. I was polite but it was an awkward brief conversation, he mentioned he'd read a good book that his wife had liked when her book club read it. The book and author aren't familiar to me although I think it's kinda romantic suspense or some kind of chick lit. Weird.

I've decided he might have been one of those people who just can't sit still and be quiet, and I got kind of an awkward vibe from him. He was pleasant enough. I wondered if his wife was glad he was out of the house for an hour to get a hair cut and leave her in peace. 🤣 Maybe they live way across the metro area so it was more like a two hour break.

I suppose my reaction may be related to my being an introvert. Maybe people who are more extroverted are just fine with having their book reading interrupted in those situations. 

And, probably this has been discussed a long time ago around here. Sigh.

• Like 12
(edited)

To piggyback on my previous peeve, customer service chat windows that close on you if you look at another page (like, you might need to do to find an order number or something!).

I suppose that often people are just trying to be friendly. Or perhaps they don't read social cues well. Or something. But still, when I'm sitting in waiting area in a place like a hair salon or doctor's office, or riding public transportation, and I'm reading a book (either a printed book or an ebook on my iPad mini or Kindle) - I hate it when a random stranger near me asks me if I'm enjoying the book, clearly just wanting to start a conversation. Geez. If I wanted to converse with them I wouldn't be absorbed in what I'm reading. 

I hate even recalling this, but at one of my cats' final vet visit, I was sitting in the waiting room crying, with her in a carrier on my lap. Although the appointment was scheduled for after the regular office hours, a couple of other people were still there and about to leave. Well, one of them -- an older lady -- kept peering into the carrier and asking me about her. She just didn't put together what was happening (and, maybe she didn't know it was a FINAL visit, but I was crying -- like I am now, a little bit -- so at the very least, she should have surmised that it was something upsetting to do with my beloved cat). I ended up yelling at her a little, just a second before my boyfriend interceded. I am not proud of that, but I'm also not really sorry for it either.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Hugs 7
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

It doesn't bother me if said stranger asks something relevant like, do I know if Main Street is the next stop, or where's the bathroom. I'm not a grouch and I don't mind answering questions if I can help someone. And then I can get back to reading my book. Ahem.

It happened yesterday in a hair salon. I knew there could be a wait, so I'd brought my iPad and was reading a book on the Kindle app. Guy came in, not a creep or anything, definitely old (almost as old as me), sat a few chairs away. I heard him pick up a magazine, but in a hot minute he was asking me if I was enjoying my book. I was polite but it was an awkward brief conversation, he mentioned he'd read a good book that his wife had liked when her book club read it. The book and author aren't familiar to me although I think it's kinda romantic suspense or some kind of chick lit. Weird.

I've decided he might have been one of those people who just can't sit still and be quiet, and I got kind of an awkward vibe from him. He was pleasant enough. I wondered if his wife was glad he was out of the house for an hour to get a hair cut and leave her in peace. 🤣 Maybe they live way across the metro area so it was more like a two hour break.

I suppose my reaction may be related to my being an introvert. Maybe people who are more extroverted are just fine with having their book reading interrupted in those situations. 

I understand. I try to be friendly, and sometimes I am, but I now eat in my car during my break*, because reading while having airpods in my ears still don't serve as a deterrent from co-workers talking to me.

Mind you, I have nothing against the vast majority of my co-workers, but I really like some peace and quiet during my break. And if it's an especially nice co-worker, I feel like such an anti-social monster if I don't feel like talking. It's really, really nothing against them, I just like to decompress when I'm off the clock. 

We all do the best we can, I guess. 

*Yes, I do often worry I'm going to attract ants. You take calculated risks in this life.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I understand. I try to be friendly, and sometimes I am, but I now eat in my car during my break*, because reading while having airpods in my ears still don't serve as a deterrent from co-workers talking to me.

Mind you, I have nothing against the vast majority of my co-workers, but I really like some peace and quiet during my break. And if it's an especially nice co-worker, I feel like such an anti-social monster if I don't feel like talking. It's really, really nothing against them, I just like to decompress when I'm off the clock. 

We all do the best we can, I guess. 

*Yes, I do often worry I'm going to attract ants. You take calculated risks in this life.

I can so relate to needing time to decompress during the workday! That was me. It's not that I never had lunch with people, but most days I was so happy to have an hour to myself, to recharge for the afternoon. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Interesting, when I read posts like this I realize this must not be in CT.

During the pandemic when the CDC recommended that people stay at least 6 feet apart, one person joked on Reddit that Connecticut collectively asked, "Why so close?"  🤣

I split my sides.  You have to live here to get it.

I actually like that it's like this, but after 30 years of living here I wish people were a little friendlier.  And that's coming from me, the introvert of all introverts, LOL.

As a native of NYC, I actually find NY-ers to be much friendlier, and in a way that I like because I'm always going to be one in my heart.  I generally find NY-ers to know when to keep to themselves and when it's OK to talk to a stranger.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
16 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

During the pandemic when the CDC recommended that people stay at least 6 feet apart, one person joked on Reddit that Connecticut collectively asked, "Why so close?"  🤣

I actually like that it's like this, but after 30 years of living here I wish people were a little friendlier.  And that's coming from me, the introvert of all introverts, LOL.

As a native of NYC, I actually find NY-ers to be much friendlier, and in a way that I like because I'm always going to be one in my heart.  I generally find NY-ers to know when to keep to themselves and when it's OK to talk to a stranger.

As an ex Chicagoan living in Seattle, I can relate.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Love this!! I'm from the lower mid-Hudson, had relatives in Darien, and we had a place at Candlewood. Yeah, people are reserved in these areas--friendly, but from a distance. I'm still this way. 😸

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I grew up in parts of England, mostly close to London (I didn't know at the time, but we were a twenty minute drive from London). Also in california: Clear Lake, and Petaluma. I miss them both (Petaluma, and the london area). The best years of my life went to middle-of-nowhere, Ohio, where you can't walk anywhere, except maybe a gas station. The only good thing about it is the space, and people here are kinder than they were on our street in Cuyahoga Falls, when I was agoraphobic, and they treated us like lepers. My parents were busy, but only two neighbours acknowledged us. 

Mum made some good friends when she moved to Garrettsville, as a newlywed, but a lot of women acted like queen bees, and treated her like an outsider. 

• Sad 3
On 3/4/2024 at 3:03 PM, Bastet said:

Still no pants (I have not been actively looking, I just haven't come across them).  I have no specific memory of taking them off, as it's routine, but they have to turn up somewhere.  I'll be sure to update this fascinating saga when they do.

Well, I wish I could say I found squirrels playing tug-of-war with them in my orange tree or something exciting, but it turns out they were indeed under the bed, in just the right spot that, being dark brown, they blended in with the bed skirt that's a similar shade so when I took a peek, all my eyes registered was bed skirt.  When I finally summoned up the will to get down on my hands and knees and properly look, mystery solved. 

I probably put them on that bottom corner of the bed instead of the dresser (not unheard of, which is why I checked under the bed the next morning) and then kicked them off over the course of the night, as I change sleeping positions multiple times.  How the bed skirt wrestled them into its lair underneath that corner, I do not know, but maybe that part I can go ahead and pin on the cat as suggested above -- it's hardwood flooring, so things slide easily, and if she jumped down to go have one of her overnight snacks and thought, Ooh, drawstring!, it's possible she slid them under the bed while playing and, it being a corner where two parts of the bedskirt come together, they wound up in the one place I wouldn't see without getting down at eye level.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Why are we (the US and Canada) changing clocks this weekend? Right now the balance between light and day is almost perfect as we are close to the Equinox.

Pres Bush made a bad decision to enforce the change two weeks earlier than it used to be - we don't need an extra hour of daylight in March, and to wake up in the dark again.

• Like 9
On 3/6/2024 at 4:12 PM, Bastet said:

Well, I wish I could say I found squirrels playing tug-of-war with them in my orange tree or something exciting, but it turns out they were indeed under the bed, in just the right spot that, being dark brown, they blended in with the bed skirt that's a similar shade so when I took a peek, all my eyes registered was bed skirt.  When I finally summoned up the will to get down on my hands and knees and properly look, mystery solved. 

Ah, now I can sleep again, LOL.  😉

Been there and done that too.  In fact, today I just found the mate to a pair of sneakers that I had definitely searched for under the bed many times but never found until somehow today while vacuuming it peeked out from a corner of the bed skirt that it was hiding behind.  Unbelievable!

1 hour ago, luv2lurk said:

Why are we (the US and Canada) changing clocks this weekend? Right now the balance between light and day is almost perfect as we are close to the Equinox.

Pres Bush made a bad decision to enforce the change two weeks earlier than it used to be - we don't need an extra hour of daylight in March, and to wake up in the dark again.

I live in one of those parts of the country (New England) where it gets dark earlier than a lot of other places in the country so I welcome Daylight Saving Time every year and wish it was all year 'round.  I was happy when they extended it.  I would also be happy if we only had standard time for a couple of months out of the year.  I have a history of SADS (Seasonal Affective Disorder) so by this time I'm thrilled to have more daylight in the evening.  And I'm 65 now and with the rise in crime everywhere I worry about being out after dark more now.  And with my night vision not being what it used to be, it's a safety issue too.  Also, I'm not a morning person so I don't care if it doesn't get light out until a little later.  And a lot of that morning daylight is wasted - Even when I worked I didn't get up until 6:30a.m. and the rest of the time until the sun came up was spent getting ready.  So I didn't even care then.  And finally, I hate the Summer when it starts getting light out at 4:30 a.m.  It wakes me up even with darkening shades and an eye mask!  The older I get the more I appreciate daylight when I am able to enjoy it.  I guess if someone is a very early riser and goes jogging it might matter or works in a job where they have to get up early for work, but it might not really matter that much because either they'd have the darkness in the morning or at night so they're bound to have it at least in one direction. 

Actually the House voted to keep DST all year at least a year or more ago but the Senate has somehow decided not to vote on it yet.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

All the people around here (metro DC) being so excited about this very early spring, warm weather, etc , must've forgotten about how hot it's going to get. We were only able to use our deck a few times last year. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

I’d maybe really happy for spring except the pine trees are getting ready to finish growing their “fingers” and  release their lime green pollen that gets all over everything. Annoying to clean as well as setting off allergies. 

• Like 4
(edited)

@Bastet  I followed your lost pants adventure with interest. Several weeks ago my snow gloves vanished and I looked all over the house for them, even places I knew they wouldn't be!  Finally I broke down and bought a new pair thinking then for sure the lost ones would show themselves. Nope!

What peeved me was I had this "feeling" they were here somewhere, not truly lost. Then I read your story of the lost pants and when you found them something told me I was going to find my gloves around here somewhere. Lo and behold, today as my friend and I were clearing out the garage to begin constructing  a "catterie" in part of it, we moved boxes to the storage shed.  In the shed I moved an empty box and under it were my gloves!!! Yay!!!! I just knew they were somewhere here, but no clue where.

Then I remembered, it was really cold the last time I was in the shed. I had taken my gloves off to get  some things out of that box and I guess then set it on my gloves when done. Made my day! They are all broken in and so warm and comfy. My friend was a bit surprised at my joy!! LOL

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 8
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I wish we could stop with the nonsensical time change already. They keep promising, but then always find some reason why not now.

Me too! The states that don't observe the change have survived just fine without it, nothing bad happened as a result. Just set one of them DLS or STN and stick with it for goodness sakes!

• Like 8
(edited)

@Bastet and @Gramto6 - I can relate to your story of things that go missing in the house. A few years ago I misplaced three envelopes containing my "house stash" of cash. I'd been so "clever" about where I put them (instead of the drawer where they usually live) just before I left on a road trip? That I couldn't find them when I got home. I looked, as they say, high and low and all over, but could not find them.

I'd considered taking them with me on the trip as backup. TBH I was really tired during the final day before I left on that trip, and it occurred to me after I got home, that maybe I DID take the cash and it went astray on the trip. Sigh.

Several months later, I used the last sheet in a box of Bounce dryer sheets. That box sits in a plastic organizer box on a shelf in my laundry room. The Bounce box is at the back of the organizer, with several smallish laundry things in front of it. When I pulled out the empty Bounce box? The three envelopes of cash were sitting snugly behind it, against the inner wall of the organizer box.  Yep. I outsmarted myself. Not imaginary burglars. Myself. Sigh.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 1
  • LOL 16
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

@Bastet and @Gramto6 - I can relate to your story of things that go missing in the house. A few years ago I misplaced three envelopes containing my "house stash" of cash. I'd been so "clever" about where I put them (instead of the drawer where they usually live) just before I left on a road trip? That I couldn't find them when I got home. I looked, as they say, high and low and all over, but could not find them.

I'd considered taking them with me on the trip as backup. TBH I was really tired during the final day before I left on that trip, and it occurred to me after I got home, that maybe I DID take the cash and it went astray on the trip. Sigh.

Several months later, I used the last sheet in a box of Bounce dryer sheets. That box sits in a plastic organizer box on a shelf in my laundry room. The Bounce box is at the back of the organizer, with several smallish laundry things in front of it. When I pulled out the empty Bounce box? The three envelopes of cash were sitting snugly behind it, against the inner wall of the organizer box.  Yep. I outsmarted myself. Not imaginary burglars. Myself. Sigh.

Yay you have extra $!

• Like 8
(edited)

i went to a local breakfast/lunch place and ordered a grilled cheese-American cheese, sourdough bread. He’s punching launch codes into the register and I see he’s put in grilled ham & 3 cheese, no ham, no Muenster, no provolone. I asked what? He said they redid the menu last week and there’s no grilled cheese anymore. So I paid for a really overpriced sandwich. And when it was just grilled cheese, you chose between the 3 cheeses offered. If he would have explained about the ham and 3 cheese, I would have just eliminated the ham and had a 3 cheese grilled cheese. Since it was noon, they were slammed and I was so flummoxed by it all, I just let the order stand. But really, eliminating a simple grilled cheese?

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 3

I love Daylight Saving Time, so it can't start soon enough for me.  This time of year, the sun is setting around 6:00.  That's better than the miserable days in November and December when it's dark by 5:00, but changing that to 7:00 from one day to the next is going to make a big difference in my mood.  By June, it will be 8:00, which is perfect for me.

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

But really, eliminating a simple grilled cheese?

I have a co-worker who loves those, so she's frustrated that she can mostly only find them at restaurants with kids menus, but then, within those restaurants, happy because her lunch is cheaper.

I like to make the occasional "fancy" grilled cheese (which just means multiple cheeses and maybe some chutney), but I'm not a big bread person so often don't have any at home and thus don't make a lot of sandwiches (except for during tomato season, when I go BLT crazy).  I like sandwiches as wraps with whole wheat lavash, but I don't eat a lot of those, either; I'm more likely to have a salad or some sort of egg white concoction for lunch (which is my first meal, as I'm not hungry until around 1:00 [I get up at 10]). 

Once I started working from home, I mostly stopped going out to lunch except for when I'm in court, and lunch is the only meal for which I'll eat a sandwich (same with soup; I have food quirks), so I don't order a lot of them, either.  There's a deli downtown that does a great hot pastrami, and another that makes the perfect club sandwich (it's like the BLT -- simple ingredients, but all about the ratio to get it just right), and lots of places with every kind of chicken sandwich you can think of, so I try to limit my returns to the old standbys and try new places.

And, of course, now I'm craving a sandwich and have no bread or lavash.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

i went to a local breakfast/lunch place and ordered a grilled cheese-American cheese, sourdough bread. He’s punching launch codes into the register and I see he’s put in grilled ham & 3 cheese, no ham, no Muenster, no provolone. I asked what? He said they redid the menu last week and there’s no grilled cheese anymore. So I paid for a really overpriced sandwich. And when it was just grilled cheese, you chose between the 3 cheeses offered. If he would have explained about the ham and 3 cheese, I would have just eliminated the ham and had a 3 cheese grilled cheese. Since it was noon, they were slammed and I was so flummoxed by it all, I just let the order stand. But really, eliminating a simple grilled cheese?

No grilled cheese?  That's un-American!  And it's so easy for a restaurant to prepare. Quite bizarre but good on you for not pitching a hissy.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Now that’s a post that would merit the new “angry” reaction! But I’m not gonna do it, mostly out of principle.  I still don’t think it should have been added, plus it’s so open to misinterpretation. I mean, your post has a couple of “fire” reactions, which I would only use if I strongly agreed with something. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love Daylight Saving Time, so it can't start soon enough for me.  This time of year, the sun is setting around 6:00.  That's better than the miserable days in November and December when it's dark by 5:00, but changing that to 7:00 from one day to the next is going to make a big difference in my mood.  By June, it will be 8:00, which is perfect for me.

[I get up at 10]). 

Well, if you don't get up until 10am, no wonder you love permanent DST 😀

In the dark days of late December the sun doesn't get up until just before 8am - permanent DST would make this 9am.

I agree it is depressing when it gets dark at 5pm - 8pm feels like midnight. And I hate time changes. BUT the point of my original post was why do we need to do it now when Europe will do it in three weeks (as we used to do) For those of us living in colder climates you can't really take advantage of the extra hour of daylight at the end of the day in exchange for darker mornings.

• Like 10
19 minutes ago, luv2lurk said:

Well, if you don't get up until 10am, no wonder you love permanent DST 😀

Yep - what time the sun rises doesn't affect me, as I'll be asleep whenever it happens. 

I understand the locations for which permanent DST could be an issue, thus the years worth of ongoing debate on whether the U.S. should implement it.  I only meant that on a personal level I cannot get enough of it.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

You cannot be in Wisconsin, since I'm pretty sure there is a state law here that requires any lunch place must offer a grilled cheese sandwich.  (Any dinner place will offer a Friday fish fry.)  If you want a really great grilled cheese, I recommend using a sharp Wisconsin cheddar, one to two slices of crisp bacon, with thin slices of a Granny Smith apple, on either sourdough or rye bread.  Keeping with the Wisconsin theme, enjoy with either a beer or a brandy old fashioned.  

Today's pet peeve - drivers who don't turn on their lights in a torrential rain storm. 

• Like 12

There's too much salt in most foods.  I had some pizza today and I still felt the salty taste in my mouth hours afterwards.  Will never get pizza at this place again.

Which begs me to wonder the origins of the term a salty person.  A salty individual is one considered someone bad tempered and rude.  A person that can leave a bad taste in someone's mouth.   So yeah is that where that phrase originated?  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

You cannot be in Wisconsin, since I'm pretty sure there is a state law here that requires any lunch place must offer a grilled cheese sandwich.  (Any dinner place will offer a Friday fish fry.)  If you want a really great grilled cheese, I recommend using a sharp Wisconsin cheddar, one to two slices of crisp bacon, with thin slices of a Granny Smith apple, on either sourdough or rye bread.  Keeping with the Wisconsin theme, enjoy with either a beer or a brandy old fashioned.  

Today's pet peeve - drivers who don't turn on their lights in a torrential rain storm. 

NC has Friday fish day. It’s usually a Friday fish or meatloaf day for those that have meat and three.

• Like 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love Daylight Saving Time, so it can't start soon enough for me.  This time of year, the sun is setting around 6:00.  That's better than the miserable days in November and December when it's dark by 5:00, but changing that to 7:00 from one day to the next is going to make a big difference in my mood.

7 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

I agree it is depressing when it gets dark at 5pm - 8pm feels like midnight. 

Wow, in Nov. and Dec. it gets dark here before 4:30 p.m.!  So now you know why I'm so pro permanent DST.

7 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

In the dark days of late December the sun doesn't get up until just before 8am - permanent DST would make this 9am.

That's interesting.  In CT the latest the sun would rise would be 8:18 a.m. right at the Winter Solstice if we had permanent DST, and our days are pretty darn short so you can imagine that means it sets all the earlier.  Then in a few days it rapidly starts rising earlier.  We start gaining a minute a day of daylight in the morning almost every day or two after that. 

It can be confusing but I have studied sunrise/sunset charts and what's interesting is that right after the Winter Solstice we start gaining daylight much faster in the morning than we do in the evening.  I don't think a lot of people are aware of that.  So even if the sun did rise that late by the Winter Solstice, it doesn't last long.  By the end of February here in CT we've gained over 50 minutes of morning daylight.  Under permanent DST that would mean that the sun would rise at about 7:26 in the morning on Feb. 28th.  By March 9th it would rise at about 7:11 a.m.  After that we would be even with the current date of the forward time change so it's only that brief period that would even matter.  So that's why I don't think permanent DST would be as bad as people might think.

I see that in California the sun would rise around 9:00 a.m. with permanent DST by the Winter Solstice, but hey, at least the weather's generally warmer there (not factoring in the crazy weather this year).  Here it's freakin' cold even with the effects of El Niño.  There's nothing worse than short days and cold weather, at least having more daylight in the evening would help.  Talk about Seasonal Affective Disorder!  I haven't suffered from it so bad this year but I bumped up my Vitamin D3 to 5,000 mg. per day and I think that's working.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

There's too much salt in most foods.  I had some pizza today and I still felt the salty taste in my mouth hours afterwards.  Will never get pizza at this place again.

I hear you, this is one of my peeves too.  I read that pizza has tons of sodium in it.  The dough has a fair amount of sodium in it and then you have salt in both the sauce and the cheese, then add any meat topping and it gets astronomical even at best.  Then some pizzerias add even more salt.

Restaurants are bad in general with the sodium in their food.  It's all about the taste and they often don't even care how unhealthy it might be.

I thought it was bad near me but I went to Florida last November and was shocked at how much saltier the food was down South than up in the Northeast in general.  I mean it was crazy salty.  

Maybe it's me but I feel like we're going into this era where prepared foods are trending away from healthier options and going overboard with the unhealthy stuff.  It seems like a lot of restaurants don't care anymore about how much fat, sugar or salt they put in the food as long as it tastes good.  I remember a decade or more ago it was easier to find healthy choices on restaurant menus.  It's getting to the point that my husband and I are avoiding more and more restaurants as a result.  I like to cook so most of the time I'm in control of what's in my food and I like knowing that.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Calvada said:

Mmmm-sounds yummy!

Ironically, I just posted the same peeve on Nextdoor, but added fog to the list! 

9 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

NC has Friday fish day. It’s usually a Friday fish or meatloaf day for those that have meat and three.

A meat and three. I'd never heard that phrase until I lived in Raleigh. Also...I hadn't eaten pimiento cheese since I was a little kid and then there I was, living in a place where it was on almost every menu--even at some elegant wedding receptions! One day I got a grilled pimiento cheese to take back to the office. Took a bite while driving & wow! It was so delicious I almost stopped to finish the sandwich (but drove a little faster to get back to my office & my lunch). 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Wow, in Nov. and Dec. it gets dark here before 4:30 p.m.!  So now you know why I'm so pro permanent DST.

That's interesting.  In CT the latest the sun would rise would be 8:18 a.m. right at the Winter Solstice if we had permanent DST, and our days are pretty darn short so you can imagine that means it sets all the earlier.  Then in a few days it rapidly starts rising earlier.  We start gaining a minute a day of daylight in the morning almost every day or two after that. 

It can be confusing but I have studied sunrise/sunset charts and what's interesting is that right after the Winter Solstice we start gaining daylight much faster in the morning than we do in the evening.  I don't think a lot of people are aware of that.  So even if the sun did rise that late by the Winter Solstice, it doesn't last long.  By the end of February here in CT we've gained over 50 minutes of morning daylight.  Under permanent DST that would mean that the sun would rise at about 7:26 in the morning on Feb. 28th.  By March 9th it would rise at about 7:11 a.m.  After that we would be even with the current date of the forward time change so it's only that brief period that would even matter.  So that's why I don't think permanent DST would be as bad as people might think.

I see that in California the sun would rise around 9:00 a.m. with permanent DST by the Winter Solstice, but hey, at least the weather's generally warmer there (not factoring in the crazy weather this year).  Here it's freakin' cold even with the effects of El Niño.  There's nothing worse than short days and cold weather, at least having more daylight in the evening would help.  Talk about Seasonal Affective Disorder!  I haven't suffered from it so bad this year but I bumped up my Vitamin D3 to 5,000 mg. per day and I think that's working.

Don't take too much D3. It can wreak havoc on your organs.

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Vitamin D toxicity might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
20 hours ago, Calvada said:

And it's always the people who drive silver/grey fog/rain colored cars.

I'll add the assholes who tailgate in torrential rain storms.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
On 3/2/2024 at 5:39 PM, Jaded said:

What's going on currently is DEI taken way too far and is the kind of stuff people use to mock it's very existence. 

What's DEI?

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Don't take too much D3. It can wreak havoc on your organs.

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Vitamin D toxicity might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.

Thanks, I have read about that.  I'm always worried about how much is safe to take of anything.  I tend to be deficient in Vitamin D in the Winter so I actually need to take it and that's likely the cause of my SADS.  I take 5,000 IU from about November through May and then slack off to 2,000 IU in the Summer through early Fall.  I also recently got diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis even though I have normal thyroid hormone levels (for now).  I've read that most people with that condition are deficient in Vitamin D. 

If you or anyone wants to reply to this let's take it over to the medical thread from here.

• Like 1

El Niño. 

Since last Fall every freaking storm that happens anywhere in the US eventually passes right over my house.  Seriously.  And it's not just regular rain, it's soaking all day or all night rain that causes flooding and wrecks up plans.  And we're getting at least 3 storms a week of that too!  We're lucky if we get one or two days a week without rain!  The only "silver lining" is that most of it hasn't been snow.  I shudder to think about what it would be like if it was.  I've seen the news stories about what happened in California and can't imagine snow that deep even here!

• Hugs 4
  • Useful 1

Last Wednesday I complained about an opaque banner on the bottom of my Chrome screen that won't go away when I use this site.  A couple of other people replied that they were having this issue too.  It looks like that banner goes away on other browsers, but it was suggested to me to bring this up on the bug fix forum, so I did but that was last Wednesday and my post still has not been approved by a moderator while other new posts have already appeared on other issues.  Did I do something wrong?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

My peeve is people putting everyone on speaker, especially outside. It's meant for special circumstances when you can't hold the phone, not for regular conversations. Also, it's basic courtesy to inform the other person they are on speaker. Not everybody is fine with strangers hearing their private conversation.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

My peeve is people putting everyone on speaker, especially outside. It's meant for special circumstances when you can't hold the phone, not for regular conversations. Also, it's basic courtesy to inform the other person they are on speaker. Not everybody is fine with strangers hearing their private conversation.

Yeah, I agree.  I almost always put my phone on speaker when I'm home alone, but, why would I want to but the rest of the world to hear my business?

• Like 4
(edited)

I use Instacart for my groceries quite a bit.  Recently, I checked my credit card bill and saw that I had some Costco charges.  I don't shop at Costco and don't even have membership.  First thing I did was to check my Instacart account to see if I had been hacked (rather than my credit card).  Then I noticed that the credit card charges matched up with ANOTHER store I made purchases (via Instacart) from.  I called Instacart to clarify a few things and it turned out that said store uses Costco's system so all Instacart purchases show up as Costco rather than the store's name.  Weird.

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I did but that was last Wednesday and my post still has not been approved by a moderator while other new posts have already appeared on other issues.  Did I do something wrong?

Doubtful; it's not unheard of for them to not make a post go live until they have something to say about it, so they may have the teach team trying to figure out what's going on.  As long as you see it on your end, in purple with the "This post will need to be approved" language, it would seem you did it correctly.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1