Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just don't get it, outside of an accidental moment of forgetfulness (guilty) or because you're going back out again anyway. 

But in the peeve I described, it was people coming into my place; why on earth would I want the door that was shut before they arrived to now remain open after they arrived? These people homes and doors of their own and I assume they close them.

Back in the day when I used to give parties and gatherings at my house this kind of thing would happen on occasion.  I don't know what it is about coming into someone's house with food and gifts, etc., that people forget about closing a door behind them.  Maybe because they assume you'll do it?  They're probably just not thinking.

• Like 3
(edited)

Well, they better start, haha!

If I had a party, I'd close my pets up in a room anyway, with a sign on the door. But I'd still be baffled by the front door thing. People are weird, even (especially?) my friends!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Well, they better start, haha!

If I had a party, I'd close my pets up in a room anyway, with a sign on the door. But I'd still be baffled by the front door thing. People are weird, even (especially?) my friends!

At the time I had both a cat and a dog and thank goodness neither of them ever got out!

• Like 3
(edited)

I have to make sure my doors are really closed because of suction. You think it is closed but it’s not. The outside crazy mama cat knows this, ha! And I thought that was what you meant, they weren’t making sure the door caught when closing not that they just left it open without bothering to shut it at all? Or am I still misunderstanding?

@Ancaster Bugs in the south aren’t as much of a problem as they are portrayed on shows. And our courtrooms aren’t cooled by ceiling fans and open windows.

But! While I do lock my doors, I just as much don’t as do. More so don’t. Not at all while home and many times when I leave. And we have an alarm. That I forget to disable when someone else does because I never set it. Or if I do remember to set it I forget to disable it. Don’t get me started on how annoying it is when people come over and walk in with my keys, that I have left in the door. Just leave them there people, I know they are there and will get them. Or find them the next morning, ha!

Edited by stewedsquash
needed a that
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

That's how you end up on Dateline! Just lock it, everyone -- it takes 3 seconds! And if you live in one of those towns where everyone knows and loves everyone, then no one will harshly judge you for it.

Remember these?

image.thumb.png.e907b3847d923e3c5179e178d4fef2e8.png

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 3

I've never liked since I was a kid something bad happening and then all of a sudden somebody quoting a favorite movie or TV scene and commenting how this is what that remidns them of.

Like when I was a kid my uncle tried bringing us to some places that were all closed and his first response was "This is Just Like In The Griswald movies where everything is closed"!   idk i just never cared for it 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Remember these?

Don't help a ?good? boy go bad? He's bad already if he's looking into a car that has keys in the ignition (or a fob visible). We've got kids as young as 11 stealing cars in the District. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

@Ancaster Bugs in the south aren’t as much of a problem as they are portrayed on shows. And our courtrooms aren’t cooled by ceiling fans and open windows.

As soon as I read this, I had a vision of a southern courtroom: ceiling fans slowly revolving, ladies fanning themselves, and lawyers in seersucker suits. That's probably a scene out of some movie (maybe To Kill A Mockingbird?) 

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

As soon as I read this, I had a vision of a southern courtroom: ceiling fans slowly revolving, ladies fanning themselves, and lawyers in seersucker suits. That's probably a scene out of some movie (maybe To Kill A Mockingbird?) 

Or Inherit the Wind. I can see Fredric March and Spencer Tracy.

• Like 7

I have, on more than one occasion, been the open-door offender in my own house! It had brought in groceries -- usually way too much to carry in one trip (I don't know why I do this) -- and I let the door close behind me, with the intention of untangling myself from the grocery bags and then giving the door the final nudge and locking it. But something distracted me -- phone, hairball, grocery mess, needing to pee -- and i didn't do it. What I did do, however, was go upstairs and take a shower. 

We also have a door that, if left unlatched, will "pop open" if the main door downstairs opens. Luckily, my cats almost 100% of the time come hang out in the bathroom upstairs when I take a shower.  But even so, the "what if?" plagued me all night afterward.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
5 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have, on more than one occasion, been the open-door offender in my own house! It had brought in groceries -- usually way too much to carry in one trip (I don't know why I do this) -- and I let the door close behind me, with the intention of untangling myself from the grocery bags and then giving the door the final nudge and locking it. But something distracted me -- phone, hairball, grocery mess, needing to pee -- and i didn't do it. What I did do, however, was go upstairs and take a shower. 

We also have a door that, if left unlatched, will "pop open" if the main door downstairs opens. Luckily, my cats almost 100% of the time come hang out in the bathroom upstairs when I take a shower.  But even so, the "what if?" plagued me all night afterward.

When we were young and my husband was still in the band, we had people coming and going all the time. Not only was our front door wide open but so was our back door and all of our windows in the summer time. We were stupid enough back then to have indoor/outdoor cats and they came and went as they pleased. Times change.

• Like 4

I am just not a person who can have an outdoor cat, whether it's full time or part time. ANY time outside means that it is always exponentially more possible that you will never see your cat again. I want to cry even just thinking about it.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Remember these?

More than once I've seen cars at convenience stores left with the engine running and a baby/child inside.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 8
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am just not a person who can have an outdoor cat, whether it's full time or part time. ANY time outside means that it is always exponentially more possible that you will never see your cat again. I want to cry even just thinking about it.

We both grew up that way. We haven't done that with several sets of cats now but in our defense, all of our cats back then were strays and I seriously doubt we could have kept them in.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

More than once I've seen cars at convenience stores left with the engine running and a baby/child inside.

I marvel at people who do that. I seriously want to scream when I hear people (even those who aren't even old) say they "come from a small town where there's no crime, everyone knows everyone, and you never lock your doors!"

The willful naïveté of these people. Crime has literally always existed, and it exists everywhere. As @TattleTeeny said, just lock your damn door, even if you are positive that nothing will happen. I promise you will never regret it. 

• Like 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I've never liked since I was a kid something bad happening and then all of a sudden somebody quoting a favorite movie or TV scene and commenting how this is what that remidns them of.

Like when I was a kid my uncle tried bringing us to some places that were all closed and his first response was "This is Just Like In The Griswald movies where everything is closed"!   idk i just never cared for it 

I have to admit, I would probably laugh and be cheered up with that quote. But I laugh at anything involving Chevy Chase

While I leave my house unlocked, I have never nor will ever leave a child in a car.

—————

#tattleteenyemojibearhugs

#stopcrying/almostcrying

#badges

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 3

I always make sure my front door is locked because it could blow open in strong wind if it's not, and I make sure they're all locked when I'm getting ready to leave, but when I'm home I don't care about those other doors; I'll usually lock up before going to bed, but it's not a rigorous habit.  Thanks to our weather, my windows are open (when I'm home) much of the year, so it's not as if locked doors would mean no one could easily get in.  Breaking into an occupied house is rare in my neighborhood; burglars case to see when people are not home. 

I always make sure my screen door is shut and locked.  I once had a dog who could open the screen door.  But the big door is standing open as I type.  It's a lovely day, and I'm enjoying the fresh air.  I will also leave the big door open if I'm going to the mailbox or just putzing around in the front yard, as it locks automatically and I prefer not to carry my keys while I'm doing yard work.  

My back door is a slider, and I have to use a key to lock it from the outside, so it stays unlocked if I'm out in the yard.  It's usually locked while I'm inside, unless I'm going in and out a lot. (The same dog could open the slider, too.)  And occasionally I'll forget to lock it at night.  I'll get up in the morning and be surprised to find it unlocked.  I do live in a small town, and I have a fenced back yard.  There are much easier houses to break into.

In warm weather, particularly warm nights, I'll sleep with my windows open to catch a breeze of fresh air.  But they get closed when it gets too humid.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

Yesterday I saw this at a convenient store.  

The mom (I assume) goes in and leaves the car running with her small child in the backseat.

But what I actually found most infuriating about that was she had her stereo blasting all the while 

• Mind Blown 3
  • Angry 1
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I always make sure my screen door is shut and locked.  I once had a dog who could open the screen door.  But the big door is standing open as I type.  It's a lovely day, and I'm enjoying the fresh air.  I will also leave the big door open if I'm going to the mailbox or just putzing around in the front yard, as it locks automatically and I prefer not to carry my keys while I'm doing yard work.  

My back door is a slider, and I have to use a key to lock it from the outside, so it stays unlocked if I'm out in the yard.  It's usually locked while I'm inside, unless I'm going in and out a lot. (The same dog could open the slider, too.)  And occasionally I'll forget to lock it at night.  I'll get up in the morning and be surprised to find it unlocked.  I do live in a small town, and I have a fenced back yard.  There are much easier houses to break into.

In warm weather, particularly warm nights, I'll sleep with my windows open to catch a breeze of fresh air.  But they get closed when it gets too humid.

There wasn't an appropriate emoji for me to click on so here's my reaction: 😧. I knew someone who was raped by a man who walked through her unlocked sliding glass door's screen while she was vacuuming her house. She worked for the same foundation (in another state) that I worked for and had met the creep while out recruiting businesses to participate in a nationwide fundraising event. This was back in the 80's. There are thousands more jacked up creeps out there today, thanks to all the garbage they can watch in the privacy of their homes. I should consider this memory as a *new* reminder to myself to not leave a room with the sliding glass door open even with its screen locked. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I had brought in groceries -- usually way too much to carry in one trip (I don't know why I do this) -- and I let the door close behind me, with the intention of untangling myself from the grocery bags and then giving the door the final nudge and locking it. But something distracted me -- phone, hairball, grocery mess, needing to pee -- and i didn't do it. What I did do, however, was go upstairs and take a shower

You've never seen the movie "Psycho"?

• LOL 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We both grew up that way. We haven't done that with several sets of cats now but in our defense, all of our cats back then were strays and I seriously doubt we could have kept them in.

Oh, I am not judging you at all, I promise! People do what they can with stray cats that just become part of a family even if they can't come indoors for any number of reasons -- and those people most definitely deserve credit for that. I have seen people do so many things from simply providing food to trapping and neutering, building hideouts of Rubbermaid containers, or clearing space in (or even buying!) a shed for the cats. The scenario I was mainly thinking of was adopting a cat and then consciously deciding to let it be an indoor/outdoor cat. 

As for all the unlocked door stories, though, I am not especially afraid of people coming inside -- my Dateline comment was just because that's what they all say, haha! But regardless of how safe someone feels or I feel or what kind of neighborhood it is, my original issue was just that you should assume that you should fully shut someone's door when you walk into their home -- especially if it was shut before you walked through it!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
21 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, I am not judging you at all, I promise! People do what they can with stray cats that just become part of a family even if they can't come indoors for any number of reasons -- and those people most definitely deserve credit for that. I have seen people do so many things from simply providing food to trapping and neutering, building hideouts of Rubbermaid containers, or clearing space in (or even buying!) a shed for the cats. The scenario I was mainly thinking of was adopting a cat and then consciously deciding to let it be an indoor/outdoor cat. 

As for all the unlocked door stories, though, I am not especially afraid of people coming inside -- my Dateline comment was just because that's what they all say, haha! But regardless of how safe someone feels or I feel or what kind of neighborhood it is, my original issue was just that you should assume that you should fully shut someone's door when you walk into their home -- especially if it was shut before you walked through it!

I would never let any of my beloved cats out now and we only get them from no-kill shelters these days. But we would take in any cat that came to our door in those days, at one point we had seven. They came and went as they pleased and they didn't care much what we had to say about it. But as I say, we only take in cats that have been in foster homes now and they show no interest in going out, thank Bast.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

The mom (I assume) goes in and leaves the car running with her small child in the backseat.

I live in Florida.  We have a law.

Is it illegal to leave a child in a running car in Florida?

(1) A parent, legal guardian, or other person responsible for a child younger than 6 years of age may not leave such child unattended or unsupervised in a motor vehicle: (a) For a period in excess of 15 minutes; (b) For any period of time if the motor of the vehicle is running or the health of the child is in danger.

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I don’t even think 14 15 should be left in a car alone.

Especially not with the car running.  They'd probably drive off.

• Like 7

Every summer there are warnings not to leave a kid in a car under any circumstances. In can get unbearably hot in a very short time. I would consider it risky under any circumstances, regardless of weather or if the heating/air conditioning is on. You never know what might happen, what if you have trouble unlocking the door or something? Car is like a trap sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I am beyond bummed that Kim’s Convenience doesn’t have 30 plus seasons so I can theoretically continue to watch it for the rest of my life if I pace myself. 

I am likely to finish the last season later tonight. 

#bummedplusdisappointed

• Love 1
On 3/16/2024 at 2:39 PM, Angeltoes said:

I live in Florida.  We have a law.

Is it illegal to leave a child in a running car in Florida?

(1) A parent, legal guardian, or other person responsible for a child younger than 6 years of age may not leave such child unattended or unsupervised in a motor vehicle: (a) For a period in excess of 15 minutes; (b) For any period of time if the motor of the vehicle is running or the health of the child is in danger.

On 3/16/2024 at 3:36 PM, stewedsquash said:

That law still sucks. Why leave a child in a car alone at all?

Six years old is the cut off? I don’t even think 14 15 should be left in a car alone.

Good luck with that one.  In my state, 10 year-olds can legally babysit, never mind stay by themselves in a car.

(Not that I don't think 6 is too young to be left alone in a car.)

(edited)
3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

* Yes "me" not "I"

As I was reading your post, I thought "Yay! Someone who knows how to write/speak properly."  

I also anticipate a lot of people asking themselves "Wait a minute, that can't be right, can it?"

Edited by Quof
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Quof said:

As I was reading your post, I thought "Yay! Someone who knows how to write/speak properly."  

I also anticipate a lot of people asking themselves "Wait a minute, that can't be right, can it?"

Thanks @Quof!

I actually removed the post because somehow I posted the exact same thing in two threads so left it in the more appropriate one.  I do though appreciate that someone else shares my "me/I" peeve!

• Like 2
(edited)

I struggle to keep from correcting people when they use the wrong pronoun, I try to keep it inside, to learn how to hide my feelings.  (Don't cry out loud, to quote the great Melissa Manchester).  I cringed recently when a judge said it to me in Court, but kept my lips sealed.   

When Barack Obama used the wrong pronoun in his John McCain eulogy, I did yell at the television "You clearly didn't have Michelle proofread your speech!"

Edited to clarify, Ancaster and I were discussing subjective versus objective pronouns, not gendered pronouns. 

Edited by Quof
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
(edited)

People who say PIN number, especially those who should know better, like employees at financial institutions.  Ask yourself what PIN stands for.*

*  Or have an obnoxious friend like me.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 4
  • LOL 2

Yesterday, I was on a local group mom chat where one woman kept on asking about when to start her child in preschool.  She really wanted to start her child at a more traditional school as soon as he turned 3.  His birthday is early in the year.  I tried patiently to explain to her that traditional private schools with preschool programs (usually schools with (some) elementary grades (at least) as well) don't take new students in the middle of the year.  She kept on going on and on about starting the kid after the December holidays, blah blah blah.  It doesn't happen that way.  You apply in the fall, get some sort of interview/bring the kid in (where they make sure they can at least somewhat play well with others) and then get an offer.  She didn't seem to understand that.  Totally annoying!

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
On 3/16/2024 at 10:58 AM, stewedsquash said:

That warning is all kinds of wrong mentality, ha. Shouldn’t the warning go to the wrong doers?

In a perfect world, yes. 

On 3/16/2024 at 11:27 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Don't help a ?good? boy go bad? He's bad already if he's looking into a car that has keys in the ignition (or a fob visible). We've got kids as young as 11 stealing cars in the District. 

My sister lives in Maryland, just over the DC line.  I can't remember what exactly we were discussing, but it was something along the lines of leaving your keys in the car and she said she never does it because she doesn't want to help anyone make a bad decision.  It made me love her just a little bit more.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

People who say PIN number, especially those who should know better, like employees at financial institutions.  Ask yourself what PIN stands for.*

*  Or have an obnoxious friend like me.

VIN Number

ATM Machine

• Like 4

Chefs/cooks on TV who say "vinegar-ette". 

I would give you 20 thumbs up if I could. This drives me bonkers.

• Like 2

Chefs/cooks on TV who say "vinegar-ette". 

If I was in one of those "Slowly I turned" vaudeville sketches, my trigger word would be "marscapone".

It drives me crazy from anyone, but especially from chefs.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4
10 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

I would give you 20 thumbs up if I could. This drives me bonkers.

Gave you one since it was the least I could do.  Or the most.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1