Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Last Wednesday I complained about an opaque banner on the bottom of my Chrome screen that won't go away when I use this site.  A couple of other people replied that they were having this issue too.  It looks like that banner goes away on other browsers, but it was suggested to me to bring this up on the bug fix forum, so I did but that was last Wednesday and my post still has not been approved by a moderator while other new posts have already appeared on other issues.  Did I do something wrong?

At the time you posted that issue, I had not seen it here, then about 2 days ago, it started showing up for me too. Oh joy! I use Chrome on a MacBookAir if that makes any difference. It is just a quick flash of the opaque banner that goes away almost immediately.  It doesn't really bother me that much, but I worry it could lead to something worse happening... guess I should add a ticket to the bug fix people too just to let them know more people are seeing it.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I use Instacart for my groceries quite a bit.  Recently, I checked my credit card bill and saw that I had some Costco charges.  I don't shop at Costco and don't even have membership.  First thing I did was to check my Instacart account to see if I had been hacked (rather than my credit card).  Then I noticed that the credit card charges matched up with ANOTHER store I made purchases (via Instacart) from.  I called Instacart to clarify a few things and it turned out that said store uses Costco's system so all Instacart purchases show up as Costco rather than the store's name.  Weird.

My dad doesn't like amazon, so he tries not to use it when ordering things. He's had things show up as being shipped through them, when he ordered through a totally different site. 

37 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

At the time you posted that issue, I had not seen it here, then about 2 days ago, it started showing up for me too. Oh joy! I use Chrome on a MacBookAir if that makes any difference. It is just a quick flash of the opaque banner that goes away almost immediately.  It doesn't really bother me that much, but I worry it could lead to something worse happening... guess I should add a ticket to the bug fix people too just to let them know more people are seeing it.

I'm still seeing it. 

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

For me the banner stays there and won't go away.  I just downloaded another Chrome-based browser and the banner doesn't even appear for a moment much less stay there.  This is weird.  I don't know if I want to switch my default browser to this one, though.  I've done that before and don't like that "Chrome-based but not Chrome" browsers aren't integrated together with my other devices like regular Chrome is.  I've grown to appreciate that for a lot of reasons.  

• Useful 2

The browser I downloaded is "Brave".  Unfortunately it's one of those that blocks out some stuff, but not as much stuff as other "privacy" browsers.  Here's a pet peeve:  Browsers that block out stuff you need to use like the emojis on this website.  I clicked the drop down box and it was empty.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
33 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

The browser I downloaded is "Brave".  Unfortunately it's one of those that blocks out some stuff, but not as much stuff as other "privacy" browsers.  Here's a pet peeve:  Browsers that block out stuff you need to use like the emojis on this website.  I clicked the drop down box and it was empty.  

I downloaded that on my ipad, to watch youtube (sometimes). I don't want to block ads all the time, but I've noticed youtube streams and vods showing ads every few minutes. I don't recall that happening on live streams before. 

• Like 1

For my iPhone 11 I downloaded Norton adblocker last summer and have had zero issues. I don’t even notice what it does to block ads. No blank spaces, glitches, or anything just zero ads on every site. I highly recommend it. 

Now my Chromebook issues for this site are a different thing. Grrrrrr. And it is site based, not Chromebook based. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

I actually got through on the phone to a real, live person at the IRS!  He understood and was figuring out my issue, but had to put me on hold briefly.  He came back on the phone and explained a couple of things, and then had to put me back on hold.  Then I got cut off.  

I called back, and have now been on hold for nearly 30 minutes.  And I'm going to have to start over with another real, live person.  Who will no doubt have to put me on hold again.

Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to be stuck in this endless loop of being on hold with the IRS?

ETA: It got worse!  The call connected, and I could hear a screaming, crying child in the background.  An adult shouted, "Shut up!"  twice.  Then I was disconnected.  

Edited by Browncoat
  • Mind Blown 11
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

That last sentence would have me calling my state representative immediately to find out what was going on. First for the poor child, second what’s up with IRS?

My state representative is worse than useless.  I wouldn't call him if the world were flooded with piss and he had the only boat.

As for the IRS?  Who ever knows what's up with the IRS!

• Like 2
  • Angry 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

My state representative is worse than useless.  I wouldn't call him if the world were flooded with piss and he had the only boat.

As for the IRS?  Who ever knows what's up with the IRS!

Do you have a decent Congressional rep? This is something a federal rep would handle. I'm astonished an IRS employee would be allowed to work from home. The IRS should know about what you heard. 

• Like 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I actually got through on the phone to a real, live person at the IRS!  He understood and was figuring out my issue, but had to put me on hold briefly.  He came back on the phone and explained a couple of things, and then had to put me back on hold.  Then I got cut off.  

I called back, and have now been on hold for nearly 30 minutes.  And I'm going to have to start over with another real, live person.  Who will no doubt have to put me on hold again.

Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to be stuck in this endless loop of being on hold with the IRS?

ETA: It got worse!  The call connected, and I could hear a screaming, crying child in the background.  An adult shouted, "Shut up!"  twice.  Then I was disconnected.  

I've actually had similar stuff happen, not just with gov't entities but also private ones.  Kids screaming, toilets flushing, even street noises, adults yelling, you name it.  I've have gotten disconnected multiple times.  I've also gotten reps. that I can't understand at all or they're muffled and there's no way to figure out what they're saying.  And it's the exception rather than the rule anymore to get someone who understands your problem and can actually solve it.  You end up in this endless loop going round and round and getting nowhere.

2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

That last sentence would have me calling my state representative immediately to find out what was going on. First for the poor child, second what’s up with IRS?

Good luck getting through to THEM too, seriously.  I don't want to write a tome here but my husband has had some really bad experiences trying to get through to our local state reps. on a few occasions.  He eventually had to give up.  He would leave messages, write letters, send emails, and never got any response and he had a real problem too, not just a complaint.  So unfortunately the problem is everywhere and with everything.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Do you have a decent Congressional rep? This is something a federal rep would handle. I'm astonished an IRS employee would be allowed to work from home. The IRS should know about what you heard. 

Oh, the IRS actually BOASTS on its website that it offers "flexible" and "alternate scheduling" and "remote work"!  Welcome to the post-pandemic world where everyone now wants to work from home like they did back then, and organizations are struggling to appease them even though I've read that most of them would rather they come to work in person.  I've also read that the IRS is seriously backed up in processing returns and so I wonder if they've made even more compromises to keep the employees they have.  I read that they had to hire 30,000 new employees in 2023 and were forced to keep poor performers as a result.  So that unfortunately is the world we're living in right now. 

Edited by Yeah No
Grammar, ugh.
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Congress needs to give the IRS more funding so they can hire more staff (& get rid of the poor performers) to work with us. Maybe have the funds to offer financial incentives to get staff to return to the offices. I can understand staff in the Metro DC area wanting to work from home though. Commuting around here is a bear...an ugly, meanspirited, rabid bear!

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Congress needs to give the IRS more funding so they can hire more staff (& get rid of the poor performers) to work with us. Maybe have the funds to offer financial incentives to get staff to return to the offices. I can understand staff in the Metro DC area wanting to work from home though. Commuting around here is a bear...an ugly, meanspirited, rabid bear!

I hear you but it seems that they're still backed up even after hiring 30,000 new employees last year.  Unbelievable, right? The work-from-home issue is across all organizations and businesses now and no one seems to know how to solve it.  It's one of my pet peeves because when I worked heaven forbid  I should dare to ask to work from home on days I didn't feel well.  I got treated like I was trying to goof off, meanwhile I worked my ass to the bone and often didn't even need to be on-site.  And I didn't even stop working full time until 2016.  The world has changed so much since then, especially because of the pandemic, that I don't even recognize it anymore.  🙁

And don't mention bears to me.  😉 They just came out of hibernation around here and are already getting into trouble.  I'm hearing stories on the news about bear mischief already.  It's scary because they're getting less afraid of humans and learning how to get into houses and cars now.  I just heard a story about a local woman who brought home a pizza and forgot to lock her car door.  A bear actually opened the car door by itself and clawed her car seat to smithereens, probably after smelling the pizza and thinking it would find food there. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

If an IRS employee's job is such that it can be done remotely (e.g. everything they'll need to access upon taking a call from the public is on the computer), I see no reason they shouldn't be able to work from home.  The pandemic showed both employers and employees a lot of jobs don't require coming into an office to do, and there's no reason to make someone do it just because you used to.

A kid who won't shut up so you can do said work, that's unfortunately another thing that cropped up, especially for women, where the idea became well, you're home, so why should we pay for daycare/a babysitter for after school anymore, with the whole part about working from home getting lost.

Not everyone is cut out to work effectively from home, even if their job is one that can be done remotely, either because of their circumstances at home or their own work habits, but thankfully 2020 cured many of the misapprehension that everyone who works from home slacks off.  Productivity is just as easy to monitor from afar.

@BrowncoatSince everything is logged, hopefully whomever you eventually get on the line when you get connected again can transfer you to the person who was in the midst of helping you, or at least put in a ticket for you to get a call back/give you an extension to leave a voicemail/something like that.  I had that happen with AT&T, where none of the typical solutions fixed the problem, and then finally the person I was talking with was onto something, put me on hold to investigate further, and we got cut off.  When I explained, I was able to get back with her rather than having to start over.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 12
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

If an IRS employee's job is such that it can be done remotely (e.g. everything they'll need to access upon taking a call from the public is on the computer), I see no reason they shouldn't be able to work from home.  The pandemic showed both employers and employees a lot of jobs don't require coming into an office to do, and there's no reason to make someone do it just because you used to.

A kid who won't shut up so you can do said work, that's unfortunately another thing that cropped up, especially for women, where the idea became well, you're home, so why should we pay for daycare/a babysitter for after school anymore, with the whole part about working from home getting lost.

Not everyone is cut out to work effectively from home, even if their job is one that can be done remotely, either because of their circumstances at home or their own work habits, but thankfully 2020 cured many of the misapprehension that everyone who works from home slacks off.  Productivity is just as easy to monitor from afar.

I think it depends on the generation of your boss.  The older the boss the more they tend to mistrust employees that they can't keep their eye on in person.  When I first started working way back in the stone age bosses routinely micromanaged to the point of practically acting like office wardens.  You felt their eyes burning into the back of your neck all the time.  As bosses started to come from younger generations they slacked off a lot but still did their spying on you in secret just to make sure you weren't doing anything but work.  It was ridiculous and frankly, insulting.  Who cares how many times you might have to pee if you get all your work done and well?  And most people back then didn't slack off and worked hard because of a work ethic they were ingrained with as kids.  So it was overkill.  

Today of course we do have people that are looking for a way to slack off or do other work when they should be focusing more on their paying jobs.  It's hard to justify an hourly wage if you know someone's home with kids dividing their time between your work and their kids.  And how well are they able to focus on their job and give it the attention it deserves if their minds are on other things as well?  Now in addition to distracted driving we also have "distracted working".  Not a good combination.  It's no wonder things are the way they are.  

• Like 5

I'm in between jobs at the moment, but I'm more productive as a remote worker.  As a single person, I don't have distractions. I start my day with more rest. I don't waste time thinking about work clothes or putting makeup on, unless I need the camera on for a meeting. I save time not having to pack a lunch and whatnot. There are lots of benefits that allow to save my energy for work and still have energy to go out in the evenings should I want to. 

However, also as a single person, as much as the early mornings, traffic and whatnot can be tiring, I prefer to be in the office every day to working remotely every day. My ideal situation is hybrid with 2-3 days in the office, but being by myself at least 8 hours M-F gets kind of gloomy even for an introvert. So long as they're the nice ones, I like seeing my coworkers. 

• Like 10

The daily migraine medicine that I take advertises that you can get it for $0 a month, which is what I was paying when I had health insurance but apparently having health insurance is a requirement for their savings program allowing you to get it for $0 a month.   I looked on goodrx and it tells me I have to pay $1126 at their “discounted” rate without insurance.  

• Mind Blown 6
  • Sad 5
On 3/10/2024 at 10:54 PM, Anela said:

I downloaded that on my ipad, to watch youtube (sometimes). I don't want to block ads all the time, but I've noticed youtube streams and vods showing ads every few minutes. I don't recall that happening on live streams before. 

What's a "vod"?

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think it means Video On Demand?

So glad this forum exists so I can find out what's going on in the real world today 🤓. Several years ago I felt so smart when I informed my husband what LOL meant (he thought it meant lots of luck). 

• LOL 10
5 hours ago, Ancaster said:

What's a "vod"?

Video on Demand. :)

I wondered why some people were signing off with "LOL" at other places on the web, and they were using it for "Lots of Love". 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Anela said:

Video on Demand. :)

I wondered why some people were signing off with "LOL" at other places on the web, and they were using it for "Lots of Love". 

I worked in retail and it was code there for little old lady.

• Wink 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 6
11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So glad this forum exists so I can find out what's going on in the real world today 🤓. Several years ago I felt so smart when I informed my husband what LOL meant (he thought it meant lots of luck). 

That's so funny!  My husband and I have been watching reruns of the old "Adam 12" series we watched as kids and we often hear them saying "KMA" on the police radio.  When my husband asked me if I knew what that meant I said, "Well when I used to hear that it meant 'kiss my ass' but I doubt that's what they mean when they say it".  It turns out it means "keep me apprised".  😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
(edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 1:23 AM, RealHousewife said:

I'm in between jobs at the moment, but I'm more productive as a remote worker.  As a single person, I don't have distractions. I start my day with more rest. I don't waste time thinking about work clothes or putting makeup on, unless I need the camera on for a meeting. I save time not having to pack a lunch and whatnot. There are lots of benefits that allow to save my energy for work and still have energy to go out in the evenings should I want to. 

However, also as a single person, as much as the early mornings, traffic and whatnot can be tiring, I prefer to be in the office every day to working remotely every day. My ideal situation is hybrid with 2-3 days in the office, but being by myself at least 8 hours M-F gets kind of gloomy even for an introvert. So long as they're the nice ones, I like seeing my coworkers. 

With you on all of this; I like WFH a lot, but would take a job (nearby, no more long commute!) that wanted me to do a couple of days in person, just for a change of scenery. 

I'm lucky; my current position doesn't care if I split my time with household stuff, as long as I am not delaying anything. It makes weekends so much better now, because I don't have to cram all kinds of boring to-do list items into just 2 days "off."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm lucky; my current position doesn't care if I split my time with household stuff, as long as I am not delaying anything. It makes weekends so much better now, because I don't have to cram all kinds of boring to-do list items into just 2 days "off."

Same, and, yes, it's so nice to not have my weekends feel like nothing but errands and chores.

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

With you on all of this; I like WFH a lot, but would take a job (nearby, no more long commute!) that wanted me to do a couple of days in person, just for a change of scenery.

I don't think I could ever go back to working in an office full time, and I prefer to keep working completely remotely, but I could handle going in once a week if there was a reason and it was a decent commute.  A couple of my friends are dealing with situations where they're now required to come in once or twice a week for no reason (other than the company feeling better about continuing to own/lease a building) and they are not happy about it, especially the one with a long commute.

• Like 7

I have a strong preference for remote work which is what my last job was.   I see no benefit to having to go into the office.  Unfortunately I was laid off and need a job and most of the ones I see advertised are hybrid, requiring three days in the office which is ridiculous but I may have no choice.  

• Hugs 5
(edited)

People who don't shut the door behind them when coming into the house! This is the weirdest thing that some of my friends have done over the years, and I just don't get it! Happened today -- a friend is here doing some painting for us and, while the door was closed in the sense that it wasn't flung all the way open, it was not like all the way pushed into the frame; it was just kind of resting there (which means that when the common front door to the whole building is opened, it kind of bumps ours open). I don't understand why it's not a reflex to shut the door, like it would be at one's own house (I assume).

Years ago, I had a couple of friends also guilty of this and more than once, my cat got outside. And it was terrible. Nothing bad happened and I always got him back, but it was terrible nonetheless and I hate even thinking about it decades later.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

People in the car behind me that honk despite the fact that we're stuck in traffic and there's nowhere we can go.  And then the person in front of me thinks I'm honking at them......Grrrrrrrr   😖

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 6
  • Fire 3
18 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

People who don't shut the door behind them when coming into the house! This is the weirdest thing that some of my friends have done over the years, and I just don't get it! Happened today -- a friend is here doing some painting for us and, while the door was closed in the sense that it wasn't flung all the way open, it was not like all the way pushed into the frame; it was just kind of resting there (which means that when the common front door to the whole building is opened, it kind of bumps ours open). I don't understand why it's not a reflex to shut the door, like it would be at one's own house (I assume).

Years ago, I had a couple of friends also guilty of this and more than once, my cat got outside. And it was terrible. Nothing bad happened and I always got him back, but it was terrible nonetheless and I hate even thinking about it decades later.

That would drive me bats, too. I have no pets, but I'm mostly concerned with letting in insects. I live in the South, spring is upon us, and we get the indestructible bugs from Hell as soon as the weather stays warm. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

If someone let my cat out, I'm afraid of what I would do to them.

image.thumb.png.e757e8a3678cd327c9b643982e167602.png

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)

This happened the other day in my building  Two kids on the third floor left the door open as they ran out to get the school bus.  Kids!  The dog ran out and down the stairs but not out into the street.  Fortunately the doorman was there, the one who gives treats to all the dogs.  The doggie stopped for her treat!  It's scary because one of the ways fire can spread if people run out of their apartment and don't close the door behind them.  These kids have to learn this rule.  I hope the parents have now taken steps to reinforce all this. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 11
  • Love 2
(edited)

Many years ago when I had a group of friends over, one went out front to smoke and did that weird incomplete shut of the front screen door.  It was a crappy aluminum framed thing back then, so blew open in a light breeze.  Pretty soon he realized one of my cats was outside, came in and stealthily got another friend of ours to help him, but my cat wouldn't come to either of them and they were afraid to spook her by trying to grab her.  So the second one came in to ask his wife for help, and she took a moment to tell him they're both morons before telling me what was happening, and I walked outside and picked up Maddie.  Problem solved, but a) shut the damn door, and b) if you screw up and a pet gets out, don't try to cover it up, let the owner know immediately.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 5
25 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Hit the icon that looks like a sun at the top of the page on the right, beside your avatar and screen name. That should do it.

Thank you! It's been so long, I forgot how to do it.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1

Damn fraudsters. For the second time in three months my debit card got hacked. Someone tried to make charges in Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK. Luckily, I have every fraud alert notification enabled on my account and my bank shut it down and denied the transactions, but now I'm stuck again waiting for a new card. So annoying.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1

1) I hate the way Hulu signs us out every few weeks, on roku and my ipad and phone.

2) There are tornadoes in parts of Ohio tonight.  I think we'll be fine, I think the storms are easing up for us, but to the West and Northwest, it's awful. My poor dog has been trying to hide from it all. We have a watch until midnight. 

• Hugs 6
On 3/14/2024 at 4:49 PM, peacheslatour said:

Eek! My screen has gone white. Do any of you know how to get the dark screen back?

That happened to me too.  Interestingly that annoying white banner at the bottom of my screen I posted about went away after I changed the settings in my ad blocker.  It seems the blocker was updated recently to add new options that were set to "off" unless you went into the settings and turned them on.  One was a feature to tell it to block specific "elements" individually.  I just turned that on, clicked on the annoying box and "poof", no more box.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
On 3/14/2024 at 6:48 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I don't remember ever experiencing this myself, but it drives me crazy when I see it on TV, especially when it's a show set in the South and lights are blazing bright to attract the bugs.

(It should also be noted that I watch too many cops and robbers shows and I get bothered when people in danger or in dangerous neighbourhoods don't lock their doors when they get home.)

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Ancaster said:

(It should also be noted that I watch too many cops and robbers shows and I get bothered when people in danger or in dangerous neighbourhoods don't lock their doors when they get home.)

That's how you end up on Dateline! Just lock it, everyone -- it takes 3 seconds! And if you live in one of those towns where everyone knows and loves everyone, then no one will harshly judge you for it.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
On 3/14/2024 at 9:48 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, don't get me started on this......  I'm from NYC so I would never leave a door open or even shut and unlocked.  Up here in northern CT people routinely leave doors wide open and unlocked, including their car doors, which is one reason why we've not only seen a rise in auto theft from driveways but bears getting into houses and cars too.  Years ago I used to forgive them because they lived in a safer area than I was from, but today with the rise in crime all over the news there's no excuse for this.  A good local friend used to leave her doors unlocked even at night.  Every fiber in my body cringed when I heard this even years ago.  Now she would never leave her doors unlocked and has finally gotten a door camera and security system.  But a lot of people around here are still living in some kind of past reminiscent of a Normal Rockwell painting.

• Like 8

I just don't get it, outside of an accidental moment of forgetfulness (guilty) or because you're going back out again anyway. 

But in the peeve I described, it was people coming into my place; why on earth would I want the door that was shut before they arrived to now remain open after they arrived? These people homes and doors of their own and I assume they close them.

• Like 8