Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, endure said:

Oprah and her weight loss.

Did anyone watch Oprah’s special last night? There doesn’t seem to be a thread for it. I just wanted to know if anything was said about Ozempic being not available for people with Diabetes because of people using it for weight loss…

• Like 2

Chefs/cooks who include the word "your" in recipes (e.g., add your eggs, stir in your milk, sift your flour, prepare your pans, etc , etc., etc.) It's like fingernails on a blackboard 😖.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Did anyone watch Oprah’s special last night? There doesn’t seem to be a thread for it. I just wanted to know if anything was said about Ozempic being not available for people with Diabetes because of people using it for weight loss…

All I have seen online and radio is that she pretty much gave an infomercial for the drug.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7
9 hours ago, Ancaster said:

People who say PIN number, especially those who should know better, like employees at financial institutions.  Ask yourself what PIN stands for.*

*  Or have an obnoxious friend like me.

I confess to saying PIN number. It just doesn’t bother me. It’s idiomatic. Idioms can be “wrong.”

I watched half the Oprah special so far and paused. She did not say anything about the drug shortages in the first half but almost all the people she interviewed in the first half actually had diabetes or pre diabetes.  It did feel like an infomercial. The physicians interviewed were consultants for unidentified drug companies. J

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I watched it.  I don't recall any mention of unavailability to people with diabetes, and there was definitely no mention of how this special is going to make demand for the drug even higher than it already is. 

I came away from it kind of hating Oprah, when before I didn't have much of an opinion.  The whole thing was a justification for using these drugs for the "disease of overweight and obesity."  Yes, wanting to eat so much you will be fat is a disease, and yes, it's overweight and obesity, not just obesity, that warrants treatment.

They didn't talk about the side effects of the drugs, except one woman said she tried it and her nausea was so terrible she stopped using it, but she's considering trying a different one in the future.  The only medical talk was about the health dangers of overweight and obesity.  It was always "overweight and obesity."  Seems to me "overweight" could include ten pounds if you're a Real Housewife™, and there was no mention of anyone who shouldn't be taking these drugs.

Apparently these work by making you not crave food, and Oprah was going on and on about how food is always on her mind, and she's thinking about her next meal before she finished the one she's eating.  Well, guess what.  Some people who aren't overweight or obese do that, too.  Probably a lot of people, actually. 

Also, one of the doctors said they've been using these drugs for weight loss (not diabetes) for 20 years, and Oprah was shocked and wanted to know why she didn't know that.  In fact, the doctor is with a facility (Cleveland Clinic?) that Oprah said she is a patient of, and she seemed annoyed to be hearing about this for the first time.  And I was annoyed that the host of the show was learning this on the show; it seems to me the host of an overview shows like this should have done the research and just be presenting information, not hearing it for the first time.

And there was a moment where the CEOs (I think) of the two companies that produce these drugs were on camera together, and Oprah said it was a huge deal. 

Oh, and there was some talk about insurance coverage for the drugs, how insurance should be covering them because overweight and obesity are a disease.  I'm sure the drug company muckety-mucks' presence had nothing to do with that.

CEO(?) of Weight Watchers was there, too.  Oprah said her disassociation with WW was so there would be no conflict of interest that would prevent her from airing this show.  But she can pimp the drugs, apparently.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

There def was a shortage but not sure if there still is.  I didn’t watch the special but I saw enough on Nightlne the night before.  IMO Oprah has a 1,000 pound ego.  She made this comment…… “I have to say that I took on the shame that the world gave to me,” Winfrey said in the special. “For 25 years, making fun of my weight was national sport.”

edited to add the link where I copied the statement…. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/oprah-remarks-weight-loss_n_65f9c06ce4b0947e42005230

Edited by endure
  • Like 4

I'm peeved that we don't live in a world where you can just be happy with your weight. We are bombarded by fat shamers, the diet industry, every facet of society telling us that we must, must, must be thinner.

Too many people think hating yourself is some kind of virtue. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I watched it.  I don't recall any mention of unavailability to people with diabetes, and there was definitely no mention of how this special is going to make demand for the drug even higher than it already is. 

Those two women at the end from the pharm. company mentioned it briefly like it was a positive thing.  Like they're running out of it because people are catching on to it and there's been "unprecedented demand".  But there was absolutely no mention of how they need to address the shortages that are affecting diabetics.  They gave the impression that they are continuing to encourage non-diabetics to turn to the drug without caring about the shortages.  They even cited how a lot of doctors don't know about it for the purpose of weight loss and how the word should be spread about it.  That pissed me off.

IThey didn't talk about the side effects of the drugs, except one woman said she tried it and her nausea was so terrible she stopped using it, but she's considering trying a different one in the future.  The only medical talk was about the health dangers of overweight and obesity.  It was always "overweight and obesity."  Seems to me "overweight" could include ten pounds if you're a Real Housewife™, and there was no mention of anyone who shouldn't be taking these drugs.

Yes, the promos. for the show made it look like more attention would be paid to the side effects.  What pissed me off is that right after this woman recounted how she stopped taking it when she started vomiting blood Oprah and the doctors from the Cleveland Clinic went on about how people shouldn't stop taking the drugs because of side effects because the effects of being obese are worse.  Seriously?  Vomiting blood is OK and this woman should have kept taking the drug in spite of that?  And Oprah was pressuring her to try another drug because her doctor said she might not have that reaction to another one.  I don't buy that for a minute.  My doctor told me that if I got very sick to my stomach on one of these drugs I'd likely get sick on the others because pretty much all of them are in the same class of drug and if you're sensitive to one you'll also be sensitive to the others.  It left a bad taste in my mouth.

What also pissed me off is that these drugs are injectables.  If you experience bad side effects from a dose you can't just stop taking it the next day like you would with a pill.  You're stuck with those bad side effects until the drug wears off in a few weeks. That's one reason I wouldn't want to take another one and this woman was being pressured to do so in spite of that.

CEO(?) of Weight Watchers was there, too.  Oprah said her disassociation with WW was so there would be no conflict of interest that would prevent her from airing this show.  But she can pimp the drugs, apparently.

I don't for one minute believe she "voluntarily" stepped down from WW and didn't from the first I heard of it weeks ago.  She was probably told by WW that she would pose a conflict of interest but they would let her say she stepped down voluntarily in exchange for the PR of appearing on this special so they could advertise their "new approach".  So they're all pimping something on this.

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'm peeved that we don't live in a world where you can just be happy with your weight. We are bombarded by fat shamers, the diet industry, every facet of society telling us that we must, must, must be thinner.

I was thin and actually didn't think that much about my next meal for most of my life until menopause hit and something changed with my metabolism.  So I actually know what it's like to not have any weight problem at all and what it's like to have one that is not caused by a lack of willpower or whatever people blame for it.  I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease even though my thyroid hormones are still within the normal range (for now).  That would explain my difficulty managing my weight.  For a lot of people it's not because you eat too much but because your body doesn't process food the way it should.

I hear you about the fat shaming and hate that myself (and have been on the receiving end of it, too) but for me and a lot of people being overweight and obese is not just a vanity issue.  It's dangerous because of the associated side effects of high cholesterol, high blood sugar and high blood pressure among other things, and those things become more problematic as we age.  I struggle with those things myself and so I don't begrudge anyone who wants to take a drug to help lose weight on that account.  I do, however have issue with people that do not have those associated issues and are doing it purely for vanity.  I am trying to give myself a few more years on this planet.  I have normal blood sugar but not by much.  It's still in the yellow zone so it's considered pre-diabetic.  My "bad" cholesterol is high and my blood pressure is also considered high, but not dangerously so, at least not yet.  I walk a tightrope and it's a losing battle.  I need help.

The problem for me is that I was put on Metformin last year and it seemed OK for a while but my stomach got more and more upset with time and I had to stop taking it.  That's when my doctor told me that Ozempic or any of those injectables would likely give me the same side effects.  So I haven't considered taking any of them.

What I did appreciate on this show was the distinction between people that can succeed with diet and exercise and those that can't.  I'm in that latter category.  I managed to lose 25 lbs. last year with diet and exercise which only stopped because I hit a hard plateau and couldn't lose any more.  So far I have put back 6 of them and struggle to keep from gaining any more.  I realize it's a losing battle, though.  As soon as I get somewhere my body does everything it can to rob me of my success no matter what I do to overcome it.  My mother and grandmother went through the same thing.  My mother used to tell me "the body fights back".  And that was before I ever had a weight issue.  Our issues started after menopause and were related to the thyroid issue which I won't discuss too much here.  So far I am doing OK with that but it could get worse and what will I do then if I am sensitive to the hormone?  I've had bad issues with taking that in the past.  So far I am told I don't need it but that could change.  My mother died at 76 because of complications due to that condition and the resulting obesity that spiraled because she couldn't take enough of the hormone.  I am trying not to end up like that.

So that's why I wish I could take something to lose weight.  The vanity thing does anger me, though. 

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I confess to saying PIN number. It just doesn’t bother me. It’s idiomatic. Idioms can be “wrong.”

"And there's the rub"!  It doesn't bother someone, so they continue to use it, thus irritating further the sad saps like me who really need to find a life beyond people who say PIN numbers.

"In that sleep of death, what dreams may come".

Sorry, the possible demise of the site is bringing out my inner Hamlet.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 4
8 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Sorry, the possible demise of the site is bringing out my inner Hamlet.

Is there something I don't know about??

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Is there something I don't know about??

Rumours that the site may be about to disappear.  I have no idea whether there's any truth to these rumours.  Sorry, and I didn't mean to alarm anyone.

I'd certainly love to hear from a mod that it's not happening.

• Mind Blown 2
2 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Rumours that the site may be about to disappear.  I have no idea whether there's any truth to these rumours.  Sorry, and I didn't mean to alarm anyone.

I'm really wondering if they made the criteria for new mods so unappealing on purpose so they could do just that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

If those rumours are true, we may need an alternative forum just for chitchat and peeves. Lol…I’ve made a lot of “friends” here!

• Like 13
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

If those rumours are true, we may need an alternative forum just for chitchat and peeves. Lol…I’ve made a lot of “friends” here!

Yup. We need a backup...just in case. I'm not familiar enough with all the forums out there to make a suggestion.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Ancaster said:

So would I.  Judging from the way we all felt when this place was shut down for several days I think a lot of us would be very upset if that happened.  In the past there was always another entity to move over to right away but these days that likely wouldn't happen.  I personally don't love Reddit either.

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Same here.  I know some people here for close to two decades that came over with me when TWOP shut down.  And I don't even have most of their contact info. if this place were ever to suddenly go away.  That would really hurt.

13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yup. We need a backup...just in case. I'm not familiar enough with all the forums out there to make a suggestion.

I propose someone starting a Reddit if this place should suddenly shut down without notice specifically for us to gather so we don't lose touch with each other and can compare notes about where to go.  Of course we'd have to identify ourselves if our screen names don't match.

When this place was shut down those few days recently I found a sitcom chat board that looked interesting and some people there also belonged here.  But that's only for sitcoms, most of which are old reruns.  There must be more out there other than Reddit but I don't know any offhand right now.  I'd like to be able to discuss TV shows.  I love finding out that other people feel the same way I do about a show and sometimes get background info. I wouldn't know without it.  This place often reminds me of when upcoming shows are going to air.  I really don't know what I'd do without it.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I came away from it kind of hating Oprah, when before I didn't have much of an opinion.  The whole thing was a justification for using these drugs for the "disease of overweight and obesity."  Yes, wanting to eat so much you will be fat is a disease, and yes, it's overweight and obesity, not just obesity, that warrants treatment.

They didn't talk about the side effects of the drugs, except one woman said she tried it and her nausea was so terrible she stopped using it, but she's considering trying a different one in the future.  The only medical talk was about the health dangers of overweight and obesity.  It was always "overweight and obesity."  Seems to me "overweight" could include ten pounds if you're a Real Housewife™, and there was no mention of anyone who shouldn't be taking these drugs.

Apparently these work by making you not crave food, and Oprah was going on and on about how food is always on her mind, and she's thinking about her next meal before she finished the one she's eating.  Well, guess what.  Some people who aren't overweight or obese do that, too.  Probably a lot of people, actually. 

Also, one of the doctors said they've been using these drugs for weight loss (not diabetes) for 20 years, and Oprah was shocked and wanted to know why she didn't know that.  In fact, the doctor is with a facility (Cleveland Clinic?) that Oprah said she is a patient of, and she seemed annoyed to be hearing about this for the first time.  And I was annoyed that the host of the show was learning this on the show; it seems to me the host of an overview shows like this should have done the research and just be presenting information, not hearing it for the first time.

And there was a moment where the CEOs (I think) of the two companies that produce these drugs were on camera together, and Oprah said it was a huge deal. 

Oh, and there was some talk about insurance coverage for the drugs, how insurance should be covering them because overweight and obesity are a disease.  I'm sure the drug company muckety-mucks' presence had nothing to do with that.

What did the weight watchers person say? She is fudging what happened. When she admitted that she was on the drugs weight watchers dropped her as their spokesperson. 

9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I was thin and actually didn't think that much about my next meal for most of my life until menopause hit and something changed with my metabolism.  So I actually know what it's like to not have any weight problem at all and what it's like to have one that is not caused by a lack of willpower or whatever people blame for it.  I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease even though my thyroid hormones are still within the normal range (for now).  That would explain my difficulty managing my weight.  For a lot of people it's not because you eat too much but because your body doesn't process food the way it should.

I hear you about the fat shaming and hate that myself (and have been on the receiving end of it, too) but for me and a lot of people being overweight and obese is not just a vanity issue.  It's dangerous because of the associated side effects of high cholesterol, high blood sugar and high blood pressure among other things, and those things become more problematic as we age.  I struggle with those things myself and so I don't begrudge anyone who wants to take a drug to help lose weight on that account.  I do, however have issue with people that do not have those associated issues and are doing it purely for vanity.  I am trying to give myself a few more years on this planet.  I have normal blood sugar but not by much.  It's still in the yellow zone so it's considered pre-diabetic.  My "bad" cholesterol is high and my blood pressure is also considered high, but not dangerously so, at least not yet.  I walk a tightrope and it's a losing battle.  I need help.

The problem for me is that I was put on Metformin last year and it seemed OK for a while but my stomach got more and more upset with time and I had to stop taking it.  That's when my doctor told me that Ozempic or any of those injectables would likely give me the same side effects.  So I haven't considered taking any of them.

What I did appreciate on this show was the distinction between people that can succeed with diet and exercise and those that can't.  I'm in that latter category.  I managed to lose 25 lbs. last year with diet and exercise which only stopped because I hit a hard plateau and couldn't lose any more.  So far I have put back 6 of them and struggle to keep from gaining any more.  I realize it's a losing battle, though.  As soon as I get somewhere my body does everything it can to rob me of my success no matter what I do to overcome it.  My mother and grandmother went through the same thing.  My mother used to tell me "the body fights back".  And that was before I ever had a weight issue.  Our issues started after menopause and were related to the thyroid issue which I won't discuss too much here.  So far I am doing OK with that but it could get worse and what will I do then if I am sensitive to the hormone?  I've had bad issues with taking that in the past.  So far I am told I don't need it but that could change.  My mother died at 76 because of complications due to that condition and the resulting obesity that spiraled because she couldn't take enough of the hormone.  I am trying not to end up like that.

So that's why I wish I could take something to lose weight.  The vanity thing does anger me, though. 

I have an autoimmune disease and have ongoing inflammatory responses, and have also been borderline pre diabetic, often a lot of medical conditions cause these things to go on in our bodies. I do eat healthy most of the time and mostly avoid processed food, fast food etc but I still have issues that I can't control.  I'm just not willing to go on any drastic change in my diet at this point in my life. I enjoy food. I'm only slightly overweight so fortunately I don't have that concern as well but I totally sympathize with people who have issues with controlling their weight and the frustrations that go with it, especially the losing and then gaining it back. I personally don't think any less of friends who are overweight, I think we all tend to fat shame ourselves, even when we have no weight issue.  

As far as you not tolerating Metformin side effects - you could still try the injectables, everyone differs with drugs and you may not have the same issues you had with Metformin, or maybe less because they aren't ingested.  I read that the nausea side effect is often short term.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know they have issues with all the ads and I was told they know it's a problem but  they need the income to run the site,  since then I've been  concerned 😕

• Useful 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Similar situation over here: menopause and newly diagnosed Hashimoto's (had no idea that my whole family has had this latter issue for years and years!). I would probably get tossed out of any weight-loss organization because I am not not overweight by the usual standards (however the hell they're even determined) and am now probably just about average (again, whatever that means). But here is the thing: after always being sort of on the scrawny side, I feel physically* uncomfortable at this size/shape/squishiness level! I don't feel like me and I don't feel "right" -- and I don't like not knowing which clothes are now uncomfortable or whether I should get rid of them! This change happened fast, what if it unhappens fast too and I threw all the clothes out?).

*Maybe a little emotionally/mentally too. I don't feel like a person who weight-judges -- at least not toward anyone other than myself.

ETA: Also a broken foot last year that was concurrent with these other fun things, so that probably contributed to a few new pounds. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

New peeve: "Awe" and "aww" are not the same. And I still hate "woah."

Also, I hate when people complain about the people in TV shows resolving some kind of crime or conflict in an hour. It's not usually only an hour in the lives of the people in the show!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 9
19 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

All I have seen online and radio is that she pretty much gave an infomercial for the drug.

And unfortunately a lot of the things Oprah endorses turn out to be not so great so maybe should be a warning too ⚠️

• Like 6
On 3/19/2024 at 1:10 PM, peacheslatour said:

At this point in time

On 3/19/2024 at 1:12 PM, Quof said:

"we'll do X, then we'll go from there"

🙋🏻‍♀️ I’m guilty of both.  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, endure said:

<snip>

edited to add the link where I copied the statement…. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/oprah-remarks-weight-loss_n_65f9c06ce4b0947e42005230

Oh. my. goodness! I couldn't believe in the article above they had the audacity to say this about the weight loss related to to taking diabetes medicines:

"Winfrey’s special included interviews with people who had taken weight loss drugs as well. They spoke about how the drugs helped them with conditions like Type 2 diabetes, and how miserable their lives were when they were in larger bodies due to fat stigma."

Seriously??? Hey people, you are taking a Diabetes medication...  This is no "added bonus" to the med...it is the med's original purpose!!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

New peeve: "Awe" and "aww" are not the same. And I still hate "woah."

Also, I hate when people complain about the people in TV shows resolving some kind of crime or conflict in an hour. It's not usually only an hour in the lives of the people in the show!

I watch Maine Cabin Masters and usually whenever kids arrive with their parents for the reveal, it's all "Whoahhhhhhh". And, of course, the neverending ads for the show *always* include some kids saying it over & over. But then the grownups at various TV shows can't just applaud the arrival of a celeb or a talent act, etc. The applause is always accompanied by screams of "Whooooooooo". OK...I feel better now 😁

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Similar situation over here: menopause and newly diagnosed Hashimoto's (had no idea that my whole family has had this latter issue for years and years!). I would probably get tossed out of any weight-loss organization because I am not not overweight by the usual standards (however the hell they're even determined) and am now probably just about average (again, whatever that means). But here is the thing: after always being sort of on the scrawny side, I feel physically* uncomfortable at this size/shape/squishiness level! I don't feel like me and I don't feel "right" -- and I don't like not knowing which clothes are now uncomfortable or whether I should get rid of them! This change happened fast, what if it unhappens fast too and I threw all the clothes out?).

*Maybe a little emotionally/mentally too. I don't feel like a person who weight-judges -- at least not toward anyone other than myself.

ETA: Also a broken foot last year that was concurrent with these other fun things, so that probably contributed to a few new pounds. 

I feel the same way.  I never had a weight problem, until I developed a bad stomach condition, that had me throwing everything up for years (it’s a bit better now), and then my hormones did their thing.  It’s mainly my belly. 

I also don’t care to work to make it smaller, just so that other people won’t judge me.  I’m so tired of it all. And the attempted erasure of women 40+ in general, is maddening. We don’t all have the money and the access to products and services to keep us looking younger, like Jenna Dewan and Miranda Kerr. And not everyone wants to. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
5 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just meant I hate the new spelling of "woah." Where did "whoa" go?

Isn't the former pronounced more like "wah," which is how they say "wow" in several East Asian languages?  It's being used in Hyundai commercials.

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just meant I hate the new spelling of "woah." Where did "whoa" go?

That word automatically makes me think of.....

Tv Show 90S GIF

• Like 4
(edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 12:49 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

As evidenced by the people that also shake you for losing weight, like it’s automatically some kind of fuck-you to people that don’t want to. God forbid we can’t just leave it as a personal choice and just kind our own business!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 11

My peeve today is that I went to the post office to mail something overnight. So I selected the correct envelope and form to fill it out. Then I went to the desk and she asked if I wanted to pay for overnight. Duh, that’s what stuff I selected. She then said I had a choice of delivery Saturday or Monday. (This was going to a government agency) I politely asked why it wasn’t able to get there tomorrow. Again she stated my choices and that if I chose Saturday the envelope would not fit in their PO Box. (She was unwilling to answer the question) So basically I had to pay for overnight to get it delivered on Monday. I was there well before noon and wish I had chosen Priority…which who knows if it would have arrived at the same time. 😡

• Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

My peeve today is that I went to the post office to mail something overnight. So I selected the correct envelope and form to fill it out. Then I went to the desk and she asked if I wanted to pay for overnight. Duh, that’s what stuff I selected. She then said I had a choice of delivery Saturday or Monday. (This was going to a government agency) I politely asked why it wasn’t able to get there tomorrow. Again she stated my choices and that if I chose Saturday the envelope would not fit in their PO Box. (She was unwilling to answer the question) So basically I had to pay for overnight to get it delivered on Monday. I was there well before noon and wish I had chosen Priority…which who knows if it would have arrived at the same time. 😡

Ah yes "business days" the rest of the days of the week do not count. 

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 3

My pet peeve this week is the weather and my stupid allergy/sinuses/cough variant asthma. I had one day where I felt completely normal again…then the weather rises all the way to 68 and BOOM, I’m triggered again. Now it’s in the low 20s and 30s and that hasn’t helped. Nor has my meds. It’s not like it’s unmanageable but I thought I was finally done with this crap after I finished my antibiotics.

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 1

My husband drinks a lot of bottled water (already a peeve...what's wrong with municipal water?  It's not like he's drinking anything flavoured!) and has the nasty habit of leaving nearly empty bottles in the fridge.  He never finishes those nor does he empty them and put the bottles into the recycling bin.  I constantly remind him, but he never does.  I always end up emptying them for him.  I'm seriously thinking of leaving sticky notes on nearly-empty bottles just as reminders.  I'm not the one drinking these things, so why should I get rid of them?

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

I would just leave them and see how long and how many bottles it will take for him to do something about it. He’s not doing anything about it because he doesn’t have to.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

My husband drinks a lot of bottled water (already a peeve...what's wrong with municipal water?  It's not like he's drinking anything flavoured!) and has the nasty habit of leaving nearly empty bottles in the fridge.  He never finishes those nor does he empty them and put the bottles into the recycling bin.  I constantly remind him, but he never does.  I always end up emptying them for him.  I'm seriously thinking of leaving sticky notes on nearly-empty bottles just as reminders.  I'm not the one drinking these things, so why should I get rid of them?

I would empty them and leave the bottles under the covers on his side of the bad and under his pillow.
Passive aggressive sure but let him deal with them because you’re tired of looking at them.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Usually municipal water is much better controlled than bottled water. So, yes, just refill. It will be cheaper too. Although I remember Toronto water being not all that tasty. At least in the neighborhoods I lived. Still, it was better than the water in Ottawa. That was nasty. 

He'll still get all the microplastics from the bottle if that's what he wants.

• Like 6
On 3/20/2024 at 7:42 AM, stewedsquash said:

What did the weight watchers person say? She is fudging what happened. When she admitted that she was on the drugs weight watchers dropped her as their spokesperson. 

The WW person said only a few words, and I don't remember what they were even about.  I think she was there mainly so Oprah could mention resigning from the board and donating all of her shares of stock to the National Museum of African American History. 

I do know that WW is now embracing these drugs for weight loss, and talking about how WW is still relevant as a community.  Pivot or die.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Usually municipal water is much better controlled than bottled water. So, yes, just refill. It will be cheaper too. Although I remember Toronto water being not all that tasty. At least in the neighborhoods I lived. Still, it was better than the water in Ottawa. That was nasty. 

He'll still get all the microplastics from the bottle if that's what he wants.

We just use a Britta pitcher.

• Like 3
On 3/20/2024 at 12:08 PM, TattleTeeny said:

But here is the thing: after always being sort of on the scrawny side, I feel physically* uncomfortable at this size/shape/squishiness level! I don't feel like me and I don't feel "right"

Same here.  I had over 60 years of being a very comfortable, consistent size, and still wear clothes I got in my 30s.  Shirts all fit the same, same bra size (and in fact same bra style) for many years, but shorts and jeans have gotten tight in the waistband. 

But it's physically uncomfortable for me to have this post-menopause roll around my middle for the last couple of years.  At the beginning, I could keep it at bay by consciously not drinking as much sweet tea as I'd like.  But that's not as effective as it used to be.

There's a crease/fold above my waist in the back that I've never had before and I can feel it--not touch it with fingers and feel it, but feel it existing.  In fact, it disguised my case of shingles because I've seen enough episodes of My 600-Pound Life to know what can happen when skin folds on itself, and I figured it was just whatever they have to deal with now that I've got some flab on me.  Nope, it was shingles. 

And now when I sit, I have flesh folding over on itself in front and on the sides  Sure, I've had it fold over a waistband or the like, but shifting my posture would go a long way toward fixing that.  But it doesn't matter how straight I sit up, there's that roll, and it's uncomfortable.  I don't know how fat people put up with it.  I see these men with basketball shaped bellies and actually wonder if I could just power through the interim, it would be more comfortable to have a big hard ball instead of the squish.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I clicked “like” not because I like it, but because it’s good to know that someone gets what I was saying. 

I haven’t read everything, but I hope you didn’t think I was having a go at you.  I do understand, I’m just still not in a great head space, and this is why I try to keep quiet. I’m just not communicating well, and don’t feel like talking much, anyway. 

• Hugs 3
On 3/20/2024 at 12:12 PM, endure said:

As far as you not tolerating Metformin side effects - you could still try the injectables, everyone differs with drugs and you may not have the same issues you had with Metformin, or maybe less because they aren't ingested.  I read that the nausea side effect is often short term.

I admit that like the woman in the audience, I hesitate to take other meds. that might cause stomach upset based on past experience doing that and then having the same reaction.  And my doctor told me that if I have that side effect with most drugs that are known to cause stomach upset in some people it would likely happen to me again.  I'm just not willing to take the risk.

On 3/20/2024 at 1:08 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Are you on Synthroid?  Are your thyroid numbers considered "normal"?  Mine supposedly are so I'm not being given that.  Yet, anyway.

It's interesting that you're not experiencing obesity.  There's more to this than they currently know.  I think most people probably struggle with weight gain like me who have this. 

6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Same here.  I had over 60 years of being a very comfortable, consistent size, and still wear clothes I got in my 30s.  Shirts all fit the same, same bra size (and in fact same bra style) for many years, but shorts and jeans have gotten tight in the waistband. 

But it's physically uncomfortable for me to have this post-menopause roll around my middle for the last couple of years.  At the beginning, I could keep it at bay by consciously not drinking as much sweet tea as I'd like.  But that's not as effective as it used to be.

There's a crease/fold above my waist in the back that I've never had before and I can feel it--not touch it with fingers and feel it, but feel it existing.  In fact, it disguised my case of shingles because I've seen enough episodes of My 600-Pound Life to know what can happen when skin folds on itself, and I figured it was just whatever they have to deal with now that I've got some flab on me.  Nope, it was shingles. 

And now when I sit, I have flesh folding over on itself in front and on the sides  Sure, I've had it fold over a waistband or the like, but shifting my posture would go a long way toward fixing that.  But it doesn't matter how straight I sit up, there's that roll, and it's uncomfortable.  I don't know how fat people put up with it.  I see these men with basketball shaped bellies and actually wonder if I could just power through the interim, it would be more comfortable to have a big hard ball instead of the squish.

I hear you.  I don't know how tall you are, but being just under 5'2" you feel really uncomfortable when all the weight goes to your middle like you have this big floatation device strapped to your midsection.  Just imagine how that would feel on a daily basis.  It's very uncomfortable especially for a short person!  My arms and legs aren't that long to bend over and reach around it!  And forget about clothes!  Dresses are an absolute nightmare.  Everything looks like a mu mu on me.   I haven't worn a dress since menopause.  And clothing in general is proportioned for a woman with a defined waist.  

It's weird because I camouflage my middle with clothes so I don't look "fat" the way people expect people to look obese because the rest of me looks pretty normal.  Looks can be deceiving!  I also have the fat roll with the crease.  I started getting that during perimenopause when I was still wearing a size 8!  People usually associate that with obesity but it's its own condition.  Both my mother and my grandmother had it.   And yes, it's very uncomfortable.  I use Arm & Hammer "Friction Defense" on it to prevent chafing.  I recommend it highly.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, PRgal said:

Haha, same here, my husband does the exact same thing.  We drink bottled water because we have hard well water.  We purify and soften it with a whole-house system, but it still tastes brackish and all the Britta filters in the world aren't enough to get that taste out.  But my husband does this not only with water bottles but anything in a container in the fridge.  He'll eat everything up until the last inch in the container and then put it back in the fridge rather than throw it out.  And then he'll complain that there's too much stuff in the fridge!

Sorry but I blame bad parenting for this, LOL.  He was raised right in many ways but somehow was never broken of this bad habit and now I'm stuck with it for 44 years....Don't get me started.....😡

And yes, I have tried EVERYTHING to get him to stop.  Even begging.  Letting the bottles pile up.  Telling him how much it makes me feel disrespected like I'm his "cleaning woman".  You name it.  He says he will "try" but then goes right back to it after a few days.

It took us using separate bathrooms to get him to replace the toilet paper.  Once when we first got married and only had one bathroom I staged a little experiment.  I didn't replace the toilet paper once and for the next couple of days every time I needed to use the bathroom I took a secret roll with me.  He STILL didn't replace the roll.  I was hearing the "Twilight Zone" theme in my head.  I finally broke down and changed it.  I was on the phone with my mother telling her I thought I was going nuts.  What was he using???

Later on he did finally start replacing it himself, BTW.  And he does do stuff around the house so he's not THAT bad.  This is one of those quirks of marriage that I have to just put up with because let's face it, it's not that important in the scheme of things.  He's not an abuser or a cheater or any number of things and he's more considerate than not.  So I have to look at it that way.

So anyway, I hear you!

• Like 4