Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Are you on Synthroid?  Are your thyroid numbers considered "normal"?  Mine supposedly are so I'm not being given that.  Yet, anyway.

It's interesting that you're not experiencing obesity.  There's more to this than they currently know.  I think most people probably struggle with weight gain like me who have this. 

Unithroid 100 mg. And no, my numbers don't seem to be getting steadily better; I am on my third "try" in terms of dosage (which I hear is not too abnormal). No one in my family who has this is obese or even fat. I am at maybe 125 to 130 right now at 5'4". But again, I was always on the skinny side -- didn't break 100 until I was in my 30s, haha! And I hated my body then too because, well, I guess, society is rude? But I didn't feel physically uncomfortable then like I do now with this cumbersome midsection. While it's not a high number in a general sense, it's enough of a change to cause discomfort and clothing issues. And, OK, if I stay here weightwise, whatever, but will it keep going at this rate? That would be a real problem!

5 hours ago, Anela said:

I haven’t read everything, but I hope you didn’t think I was having a go at you.  I do understand, I’m just still not in a great head space, and this is why I try to keep quiet. I’m just not communicating well, and don’t feel like talking much, anyway. 

Oh, no -- I don't think anything like that.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Unithroid 100 mg. And no, my numbers don't seem to be getting steadily better; I am on my third "try" in terms of dosage (which I hear is not too abnormal). No one in my family who has this is obese or even fat. I am at maybe 125 to 130 right now at 5'4". But again, I was always on the skinny side -- didn't break 100 until I was in my 30s, haha! And I hated my body then too because, well, I guess, society is rude? But I didn't feel physically uncomfortable then like I do now with this cumbersome midsection. While it's not a high number in a general sense, it's enough of a change to cause discomfort and clothing issues. And, OK, if I stay here weightwise, whatever, but will it keep going at this rate? That would be a real problem!

That's interesting.  I was always skinny too.  At 5'2" I hovered around 110 lbs. until perimenopause when it started to creep up little by little.  I was able to control it with diet an exercise then, though.  Since menopause nothing works.  It works for a short time then it doesn't work, then it actually goes in the opposite direction even while continuing to eat healthy foods and exercising.

I have read that some people with Hashimoto's don't suffer from weight issues while most do.  In those of us that do it seems to make controlling our weight almost impossible.

I hate the fact that people assume that if you have a weight problem you're doing something wrong.  I can assure anyone that I have tried just about everything and still have had no success.  I have incredible willpower and avoid unhealthy and fattening foods all the time.  Dieting works for a short time.  I lose 25 lbs. or so but then reach a stubborn plateau that won't budge no matter what I do.  Then little by little the weight creeps up even as I keep dieting and finding new ways to approach the issue.  My mother went through the same thing. 

I think it's sad that 30 years in the future we're still struggling with this issue and haven't really made much progress with it.  The new drugs for weight loss give hope to some people but I'm never one of the "lucky ones" that can take most of these drugs.  I am so sensitive to everything.  I keep hoping and praying for a miracle because at this point it feels like I'm going to need one.  Until then I refuse to give up.  My mother gave up and became very obese but she lost her thyroid altogether so she was even more screwed than I am.  I hope I never have to lose mine.  My doctor seems to be  optimistic about that not happening but I still worry.

• Hugs 4

I am no doctor, but I am going to posit that menopause is the root of it all! Because ladies get all the fun. Seriously, how many years do we get to be free of estrogen-related drama -- like 12ish (when we're kids and thus not autonomous yet)?

• Like 7

Well, last night I was told I needed to get something in the mail so it would arrive no later than Tuesday. So I was there at the PO when it opened at 9. I sent it overnight because yesterday when I paid for something to go to Philadelphia ($30) I  was told it would not get there until Monday. So today the overnight rate to Denver, CO was $60, but it would be there tomorrow night by 6. Now if they can get something to Denver in 36 hours, why does it take 3 days to get to Philadelphia? I live on the East Coast. The postal system does not make sense nor do they keep to the prices they advertise. 

• Mind Blown 2
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I admit that like the woman in the audience, I hesitate to take other meds. that might cause stomach upset based on past experience doing that and then having the same reaction.  And my doctor told me that if I have that side effect with most drugs that are known to cause stomach upset in some people it would likely happen to me again.  I'm just not willing to take the risk.

Are you on Synthroid?  Are your thyroid numbers considered "normal"?  Mine supposedly are so I'm not being given that.  Yet, anyway.

It's interesting that you're not experiencing obesity.  There's more to this than they currently know.  I think most people probably struggle with weight gain like me who have this. 

I hear you.  I don't know how tall you are, but being just under 5'2" you feel really uncomfortable when all the weight goes to your middle like you have this big floatation device strapped to your midsection.  Just imagine how that would feel on a daily basis.  It's very uncomfortable especially for a short person!  My arms and legs aren't that long to bend over and reach around it!  And forget about clothes!  Dresses are an absolute nightmare.  Everything looks like a mu mu on me.   I haven't worn a dress since menopause.  And clothing in general is proportioned for a woman with a defined waist.  

It's weird because I camouflage my middle with clothes so I don't look "fat" the way people expect people to look obese because the rest of me looks pretty normal.  Looks can be deceiving!  I also have the fat roll with the crease.  I started getting that during perimenopause when I was still wearing a size 8!  People usually associate that with obesity but it's its own condition.  Both my mother and my grandmother had it.   And yes, it's very uncomfortable.  I use Arm & Hammer "Friction Defense" on it to prevent chafing.  I recommend it highly.

Yeah.  This.  It's ALWAYS been a worry of mine since I'm built scrawny with a short waist (i.e. the end of my ribcage and the top of my hip don't have much distance....any amount of food would make me look like I'm about four months along...LOL)!  Combine that with being around 5'2".  As a teen and going through my "sugar phase" (but even then, consuming less processed sugar than the average North American), I would sometimes wear old lady control top panties just to look curvier.  I lost most of the belly in my 20s (moved downtown, so I walked more.  I also gave up sweetened caffeinated drinks.  Never really was a pop drinker, so that was not an issue).  Perimenopause is hitting so some of the belly has come back.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Haha, when I used to eat food while on a beach, my then-flat belly would noticeably "grow" -- it looked so funny in a bathing suit!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3

I admit that like the woman in the audience, I hesitate to take other meds. that might cause stomach upset based on past experience doing that and then having the same reaction.  And my doctor told me that if I have that side effect with most drugs that are known to cause stomach upset in some people it would likely happen to me again.  I'm just not willing to take the risk.

I totally agree, I just did some research for someone and I personally would be reluctant to take these drugs, there are a lot of lawsuits now for gastroparesis, much more than a side effect.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well, last night I was told I needed to get something in the mail so it would arrive no later than Tuesday. So I was there at the PO when it opened at 9. I sent it overnight because yesterday when I paid for something to go to Philadelphia ($30) I  was told it would not get there until Monday. So today the overnight rate to Denver, CO was $60, but it would be there tomorrow night by 6. Now if they can get something to Denver in 36 hours, why does it take 3 days to get to Philadelphia? I live on the East Coast. The postal system does not make sense nor do they keep to the prices they advertise. 

I'm an Ebay seller so I deal with the Post Office quirkiness often.  It seems like unless you have a package within certain size and weight parameters you can get a much cheaper rate and quicker arrival time than if it goes just above that in any way.  There are dozens of YouTubes with people offering help with learning the ins and outs of it.  There are also a lot of websites that provide help.

I think the issue with your Philadelphia mail is that you mailed it late enough in the week for it to hit the weekend issue.  Certain types of mail are only on a "business day" basis and won't be delivered on a weekend.  Certain Express Mail types can be delivered on a weekend so that's why you're confused.  The problem is knowing when you can expect your package to be delivered based on what type of mail you're looking at using.  I forget offhand which types aren't delivered on weekends and which are but I always use the Ebay mailing calculator to figure that out.  It allows you to compare the fees for different types of mail and when you can expect it to be delivered. 

I often have to help my husband with this.  The Ebay calculator also helps you with other types of delivery services like Fedex and UPS.  Sometimes they're actually cheaper than the P.O. for a faster service depending on the weight.  I think they allow heavier packages at lower rates than the Post Office.  The P.O. is actually cheaper if you can use their flat rate envelopes and boxes but if the item is too big then the price can become astronomical in a hot minute. 

If you are not on Ebay but signed up with PayPal they have a "secret shipping service" at discounted prices from "Ship Station" for use by anyone with a Paypal account.  You'll have to log into your PayPal account first.  It allows you to print labels from your computer or just print them on paper and tape them to the box or envelope.  You have to click the button on the top right for "create new ship label".  You put in your info., the size and weight and then you choose which one you want.  The money is charged to your PayPal account.  Of course if you choose UPS you have to bring it to a UPS drop off or schedule a pickup. 

Here's the link:

https://paypal.shipstation.com/sales-orders/new

Here's the link to the Ebay shipping calculator:

https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator#USPS_ECONOMY

Here are instructions on how to use the eBay shipping calculator:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/postage-rates/shipping-calculator?id=4178https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/postage-rates/shipping-calculator?id=4178

You can use it for non-Ebay seller rates.  It's not just for sellers.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

have read that some people with Hashimoto's don't suffer from weight issues while most do

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s when I was 13 years old.   I’ve always been skinny and have never had weight issues.  Hashimoto’s runs in my family, my mom and all three of my siblings have it and only my mom has weight issues.  My mom made the pediatrician test me when I was 13 because I had a large bulge in my throat, at least for a girl and my younger brother had already been diagnosed with it.  All I really know is that my thyroid apparently doesn’t work, that I have to take synthroid (or levothyroxine) for the rest of my life and that I have to have my blood tested every year.  

• Hugs 4

People that don't practice what they preach.  For example not that long ago there was someone I knew who talked of how much he hated condescending others.  But at the same time I found that he really wasn't much a good listener.  

To be clear I didn't dislike this guy just something I thought was annoying. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

So did it?  Inquiring minds want to know, LOL. 😄

Haha.  It worked this time.  It’s just this once so far so I may need to keep reminding him.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
42 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Haha.  It worked this time.  It’s just this once so far so I may need to keep reminding him.  

LOL, good to hear!  I've been married so long I gave up reminding my husband a long time ago.  I hope you have better luck.

• Like 4

Ever since y'all talked about ants, I've noticed one or two black ants in my kitchen (my grandmother used to call them sugar ants because they don't bite). Not a big deal, but I saw that Terro liquid at the store yesterday and decided to try it. What is in that stuff?? Within 20 minutes of putting it out, there were dozens of ants flocking to it! I'm grossed out and fascinated, I had no idea how many ants were hiding wherever they are in my kitchen (I seriously can't find the source). I hope this stuff works as advertised.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

I, too, was swayed by the Terro discussion and bought some for my ants!  My problem was trying to figure out the best place for it.  I have no idea where the ants are coming from.  I'd prefer to put the Terro closest to where the ants are entering, so if they're going to flock to it, they won't be all over the place.

• Like 9
(edited)
6 hours ago, emma675 said:

Ever since y'all talked about ants, I've noticed one or two black ants in my kitchen (my grandmother used to call them sugar ants because they don't bite). Not a big deal, but I saw that Terro liquid at the store yesterday and decided to try it. What is in that stuff?? Within 20 minutes of putting it out, there were dozens of ants flocking to it! I'm grossed out and fascinated, I had no idea how many ants were hiding wherever they are in my kitchen (I seriously can't find the source). I hope this stuff works as advertised.

It will! They drink it and go back to the colony. Then before long the whole colony will have come and gone. Just keep adding drops when you see they are gone. I spent a long amount of time watching this happen, the coming and going. I put out several, maybe three, about five inches apart to speed up the process. I use the bottle/cardboard method.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I, too, was swayed by the Terro discussion and bought some for my ants!  My problem was trying to figure out the best place for it.  I have no idea where the ants are coming from.  I'd prefer to put the Terro closest to where the ants are entering, so if they're going to flock to it, they won't be all over the place.

Put it where you are seeing them if it is a safe place. They will find it. They will only be where you put it. Drink and leave. Ha, the ants not you!

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 7

Need first aid advice please!! I burned my left ring finger on a hot sheet pan taking it out of the oven. There was a hole in one oven mitt. Egads it hurts. I'm keeping a paper towel wrapped ice cube on it which stops the hurt. But as soon as I move my finger away, yow!!! No idea how I'll get to sleep tonight. I tried putting Polysporin on it and that made it worse. I have an appt with the NP at my PCP'S office tomorrow for a sinus infection but how will I be able to sleep tonight???😫

• Hugs 5
(edited)
44 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Need first aid advice please!! I burned my left ring finger on a hot sheet pan taking it out of the oven. There was a hole in one oven mitt. Egads it hurts. I'm keeping a paper towel wrapped ice cube on it which stops the hurt. But as soon as I move my finger away, yow!!! No idea how I'll get to sleep tonight. I tried putting Polysporin on it and that made it worse. I have an appt with the NP at my PCP'S office tomorrow for a sinus infection but how will I be able to sleep tonight???😫

After cooling it under cool running water, I’d wrap it in a loose bandage. When you lay down place your hand on a pillow or two next to you to elevate the hand above your heart.

Hope you get relief.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I have had that happen before. My advice if it isn’t bleeding or skin popping off is to just leave it alone until you see the medical person tomorrow. Hopefully it is a surface burn if you put down or dropped the pan quickly and will stop hurting in a little while. Surface burns hurt like heck too though! 
eta lol do what @ginger90 said do! Mainly I meant don’t keep putting lotions and potions on the burned area!

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Thanks, all 🤗.  If I keep it away from hot water, it's a bit better. So, tomorrow maybe a shower won't be so bad. No blisters, no blood. Just a mega oweeee. The air was purple/black/firey red in the kitchen after that mishap!!

• Hugs 6
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thanks, all 🤗.  If I keep it away from hot water, it's a bit better. So, tomorrow maybe a shower won't be so bad. No blisters, no blood. Just a mega oweeee. The air was purple/black/firey red in the kitchen after that mishap!!

If you're able to take Ibuprofin, I'd take a couple of those as well. Plus frozen peas make a good ice pack. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

If you're able to take Ibuprofin, I'd take a couple of those as well. Plus frozen peas make a good ice pack. 

Thanks! I'll remember that. It's all better now.

• Like 4
(edited)

I did something similar a couple of weeks ago.  I had to keep ice on it for hours to numb the pain.  Every time I removed the ice, the throbbing would begin again.  Then finally it just stopped by morning, and I had fallen asleep.  It didn't even blister and I didn't need to see a professional.   I hope you are better by now. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I did something similar a couple of weeks ago.  I had to keep ice on it for hours to numb the pain.  Every time I removed the ice, the throbbing would begin again.  Then finally it just stopped by morning, and I had fallen asleep.  It didn't even blister and I didn't need to see a professional.   I hope you are better by now. 

Yup...thank goodness! Same thing with ice, remove finger and burn/throb started up. I was so glad it calmed down so that I could get a decent sleep. I tossed that potholder out!!

• Applause 5
(edited)

When my boyfriend holds up something to show me, he always holds it up for far longer than I need him to! Sometimes it gets on my nerves. Typing it out here, though, makes me laugh — it’s so dumb and funny the way he stands, frozen with his phone (or whatever it is) held at my eye level. He’s being considerate, I know, but why does he think I need SO LONG to see a picture of his friend’s dog or his new business card or whatever?! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 5
9 minutes ago, Anela said:

I'm seeing ads, even though I have adblockers on this browser. 

Do you mean specific to this site?  They've changed something recently (as of a few weeks ago, maybe); my ad blocker is now blocking hundreds of elements on individual pages within threads (e.g. 430 on this page!!) when it used to be dozens at most, and ads are now occasionally slipping through, so I have to use the "Block Element" option to get rid of them.  The more I do that, the less frequently anything slips through, and - knock on wood - it has been a few days since I've had one.

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Do you mean specific to this site?  They've changed something recently (as of a few weeks ago, maybe); my ad blocker is now blocking hundreds of elements on individual pages within threads (e.g. 430 on this page!!) when it used to be dozens at most, and ads are now occasionally slipping through, so I have to use the "Block Element" option to get rid of them.  The more I do that, the less frequently anything slips through, and - knock on wood - it has been a few days since I've had one.

I have Ad Bocker+ on my Chromebook and I'm not seeing any ads. I am on my phone though.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

When my boyfriend holds up something to show me, he always holds it up for far longer than I need him to! Sometimes it gets on my nerves. Typing it out here, though, makes me laugh — it’s so dumb and funny the way he stands, frozen with his phone (or whatever it is) held at my eye level. He’s being considerate, I know, but why does he think I need SO LONG to see a picture of his friend’s dog or his new business card or whatever?! 

Oh, this is too cute, @TattleTeeny  Picturing in my head him standing there all earnest with his phone held out is giving me a good chuckle.  Thanks for sharing this one and you told it perfectly.  🥰

• LOL 5
(edited)

Me too now! And "earnest" is the perfect word -- it's always implied to me just a tiny bit of goofiness in an otherwise endearing interaction.

He also needs glasses, so maybe he is basing how long I need to see something on how long he needs?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5

Well, the majority of the ants seem to be dead three days after putting out the Terro liquid. The remaining ants have somehow figured out I'm the mass murderer and have banded together to annoy me. I had an ant sitting on the edge of my toilet this morning and one suddenly appeared on my finger as I was driving. And I still haven't found where they are coming into the house!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
44 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

OMG, me, too!!  What is up with these ants?

Have your ants and my ants been talking to each other somehow?!

• LOL 8

I was waiting in the hospital lobby yesterday waiting for someone to get transferred from recovery to a room and guess what. All of a sudden I saw an ant crawling on the table next to me. Looks like an any invasion this year! Sorry for the crappy photo,  but when I enlarged and cropped it this was the best I could get  IMG_6373.thumb.jpeg.ce8a6d055677fd6cbc92271e33e62cdb.jpeg

• Like 3

Ant haters:  we just learned of an insect museum in New Jersey. We may pay a visit. Seems to be aimed at kids. Suitably, the Hindenburg museum is nearby.  We can make a fun day of it. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

Women who post their maternity photos in which they are half-naked. I know someone who is having a baby soon and she posted a picture of herself with her shirt unbuttoned (or maybe no shirt on and just in the bra) and her pants undone. If you’re going to take these kinds of pictures, keep it between you and your husband; I don’t want to see you on social media with half of your clothes off.

Thankful for my cousin’s wife who took maternity photos in a long dress and otherwise has kept her clothes on for all the pictures she’s posted with her baby so far. As much as I like her as a person hopefully she show the family any half-nude photos of herself holding the baby. I don’t like her that much. 😂

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Women who post their maternity photos in which they are half-naked. I know someone who is having a baby soon and she posted a picture of herself with her shirt unbuttoned (or maybe no shirt on and just in the bra) and her pants undone. If you’re going to take these kinds of pictures, keep it between you and your husband; I don’t want to see you on social media with half of your clothes off.

Thankful for my cousin’s wife who took maternity photos in a long dress and otherwise has kept her clothes on for all the pictures she’s posted with her baby so far. As much as I like her as a person hopefully she show the family any half-nude photos of herself holding the baby. I don’t like her that much. 😂

This started some 30 years ago when Demi Moore did this for a cover of a magazine (don’t remember which one).

• Like 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

This started some 30 years ago when Demi Moore did this for a cover of a magazine (don’t remember which one).

Vanity Fair. Oh never mind. I see others answered already. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
(edited)

Demi Moore wasn't half-naked, she was naked (or nekkid, as Lewis Grizzard would explain), with strategically placed arms and a leg.

(I don't have a problem with either, even though I wouldn't choose to share either one [hell, I wouldn't care to have either photo taken to begin with], just pointing out for the sake of clarity she was naked, not partially clothed.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 10