Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)

@ECM1231 I haven't had the experience of being expected to bag my own groceries in regular stores - discount places like No Frills though that's part of the deal.  What bothers me about shopping check outs now are how the minute they put in self checkouts they cut back on the staffed checkout lines.  I mean I know this was the reason they were going to do it of course but not all of us want to use self checkout and this irritates me no end. 

The last time I went to Walmart there actually were no staffed checkout lines at all.  I haven't been back since. The stores will probably tell you this is because they can't get staff but I'm not buying that - the move to self check out long predated the pandemic.

Edited by SusanM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, SusanM said:

@ECM1231 I haven't had the experience of being expected to bag my own groceries in regular stores - discount places like No Frills though that's part of the deal.  What bothers me about shopping check outs now are how the minute they put in self checkouts they cut back on the staffed checkout lines.  I mean I know this was the reason they were going to do it of course but not all of us want to use self checkout and this irritates me no end. 

The last time I went to Walmart there actually were no staffed checkout lines at all.  I haven't been back since. The stores will probably tell you this is because they can't get staff but I'm not buying that - the move to self check out long predated the pandemic.

That's right.  Plus, the self-chck lanes aren't built to handle the volume of a full cart, thereby making it extremely cumbersome to do.

I told the obviously annoyed manager of our local grocery, when she called me over to the self-check (the manned lanes were 6+ shoppers deep), and stated she "couldn't understand why people wouldn't use self-chck", that it was because A) they aren't set up to clear large orders, and B) we aren't given a discount to do her or anyone's job.  She then zipped her lip and scanned/bagged/recarted my order.  The arrogance and lack of awareness was maddening, and this was not a particularly young person.

• Love 10

My peeve about those self checks is that they only have 4 bags set up at my store to bag your order. If I pick up a case of cat food the thing starts to yell at me to “Please put your item in the bag”. Besides no room, that’s an item I just like to put back in the cart and not in my bag. 

• Love 5

That's interesting. I never experienced cashiers bagging groceries at any shop. The only place where that happens here is one chain of drugstores and that's only when you buy a bag from them, the cashier will automatically start to put stuff in there after scanning it. I always found it a bit rude that they don't even ask if that's ok. I know how to bag my own stuff, thank you very much.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

My peeve about those self checks is that they only have 4 bags set up at my store to bag your order. If I pick up a case of cat food the thing starts to yell at me to “Please put your item in the bag”. Besides no room, that’s an item I just like to put back in the cart and not in my bag. 

All the self serve around me have a wand so you can scan the product in the cart and leave it there. Love it for big bulky things.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, SusanM said:

Today's peeve:  when you make a meal you've made dozens of times before and it just does not taste good.  I made meatloaf, a family favourite and an old standby and I have no idea why but it's just not good.  I guess today I just didn't have the love.

Same thing happened to me.  Some stores are putting fillers in the meat.  It has a different texture and taste.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

That's interesting. I never experienced cashiers bagging groceries at any shop. The only place where that happens here is one chain of drugstores and that's only when you buy a bag from them, the cashier will automatically start to put stuff in there after scanning it. I always found it a bit rude that they don't even ask if that's ok. I know how to bag my own stuff, thank you very much.

Back home only one shop bagged groceries (the posh one we never went to) which is why we got into the habit of doing the weekly shop together.  I unpacked the cart and he started packing the scanned items.

There were on occasion charity bag packers, typically teens raising money for a sports club or other group.  The trick was to hand over the donation first and ask them to let you pack your own things.  It was safer that way.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
24 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

Back home only one shop bagged groceries (the posh one we never went to) which is why we got into the habit of doing the weekly shop together.  I unpacked the cart and he started packing the scanned items.

There were on occasion charity bag packers, typically teens raising money for a sports club or other group.  The trick was to hand over the donation first and ask them to let you pack your own things.  It was safer that way.

They've always bagged our groceries for us at our local QFC (Kroger's). We have a lot of bags so I ask them to please space it the amount of items in each bag so they don't get too heavy. Invariably, they put all the cans in one bag, all the bottles of milk and juice in another. I just gave up, now my DH does all the shopping.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Invariably, they put all the cans in one bag, all the bottles of milk and juice in another.

One of my peeviest of pet peeves!  We have had to pay for bags here for a few years now and mostly people don't make an issue of it anymore (well I say mostly because I am positive some people still get surly but anyway...) if I forget my own bags and have to buy I am Lady Bountiful and say "as many bags as it takes don't worry" but always, always, they try and stuff everything into the least amount of bags possible.  I am guessing because they would rather squash someone's bread then have to listen to someone bitch and moan about paying an extra dime for another bag.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
Just now, SusanM said:

One of my peeviest of pet peeves!  We have had to pay for bags here for a few years now and mostly people don't make an issue of it anymore (well I say mostly because I am positive some people still get surly but anyway...) if I forget my own bags and have to buy I am Lady Bountiful and say "as many bags as it takes don't worry" but always, always, they try and stuff everything into the least amount of bags possible.  I am guessing because they would rather squash someone's bread then have to listen to someone bitch and moan about paying an extra dime for another bag.  

That's why we can't have nice things, people nickel and diming the tiniest shit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, SusanM said:

Where I live we don't have to pay for bags and they still shove everything into as few bags as possible.  I have literally asked if they use more bags does it hinder their pay.  Nope.  When you can see the bag ripping - guess what it's too much.

• Love 2

There are several grocery stores in my area and I typically go to more than one when I run errands.  I walk, so I have to carry several bags with me from all the stores.  I've had bags break while I walk home.  I know I should get one of those trolly things, but around here, only women over a certain age, an age that I won't reach for another couple of decades, use them!

• Love 1

I shop on foot or on my bicycle and I take a backpack. Much easier to haul larger loads than with bags. And a trolley is annoying in the winter around here where winter lasts about 5-6 months.

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I shop on foot or on my bicycle and I take a backpack. Much easier to haul larger loads than with bags. And a trolley is annoying in the winter around here where winter lasts about 5-6 months.

I buy enough that a backpack full of groceries would be as heavy as the bag I had in high school, filled with textbooks and binders. It was fine when I was a teenager, I suppose, but I'm 42 now!

• Love 1

I lived in NYC through college, 20s, 30s, etc., and most everyone, regardless of age, had a grocery cart to schlep things from the market back to their apartment. None of us worried that it made us look elderly. It made us look smart. If I broke my ankle skiing and needed a cane, would I crawl along the sidewalk rather than use one because I was afraid people would think I was old? All they'd have to do is look at my dewy face to see I wasn't old. I was a young woman with a grocery cart.

There was a humorist in the 1930s who wrote, "You’ll worry less about what people think about you when you realize how seldom they do." I use that as a guiding principle, and it's helped me a lot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
47 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

There was a humorist in the 1930s who wrote, "You’ll worry less about what people think about you when you realize how seldom they do." I use that as a guiding principle, and it's helped me a lot.

I really like this.  I do find that the older I get the less I care about what others think.   There aren't a lot of advantages to getting older but that is definitely one of them for me.

• Love 12

I must be super old!  I remember when they would ask at the grocery checkout:  Do you want bags or boxes?  I grew up on Army bases and there was always someone bagging (or boxing) - when my dad was stationed at Leavenworth, they let the prisoners bag in the commissary.

Since COVID started, most of the stores wouldn't let you bring your own bags in, so I've been having them just leave the groceries in the cart and I'll bag them in the car.

Very few people in California use self checkers because you can't take alcohol through them.  It's amazing how many people just stop at the store for a six pack or a bottle of wine and have to wait in the long line with the people with fully loaded carts.

• Useful 1
30 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Very few people in California use self checkers because you can't take alcohol through them.  It's amazing how many people just stop at the store for a six pack or a bottle of wine and have to wait in the long line with the people with fully loaded carts.

This is me...the supermarket closest to me has a great wine selection and the best prices on wine in my area so I pretty much only buy wine there (their meat and produce is terrible) and occasionally a yogurt or two. So I can't use the self check out (which I am happy to do at Walmart) and always wind up standing in line behind the person doing their monthly shop....who is 80 + years old and then winds up writing a check...

The market where I do get all my food doesn't have self check out. So my peeve, I guess, is that the universe is not properly ordered to my satisfaction as yet 😿

• Love 4

They've gone back to allowing us to bring our own bags to the grocery store around here.  In fact, one locality has started charging for their plastic and paper bags -- I can't remember how much, but I think it's 10 or 15 cents per bag.  They do still at least bag the groceries, and occasionally will even ask if I need help taking them to my car.  

But if I buy bread or eggs, I hold those back and carry them separately.  No way am I letting anyone put either of those in the bottom of a bag!

• Love 3

Random online selling pet-peeve here: I’m so sick and tired of people shopping for high-end consignment goods who expect *pristine* condition used items at insanely low prices!

So somehow my random quarantine hobby became buying/selling/trading high end designer bags and accessories(Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Valentino, Dior, etc.). When I get tired of some pieces, I sell/trade or rotate, usually via eBay or Poshmark. I make stellar deals and usually underprice my goods because when I’m ready to sell, I sell to get it sold quickly. But I also won’t GIVE stuff away either.

Inevitably though, I get those super-anal picky Vicky’s who expect flawlessness for pennies—you want a $500 practically new Louis Vouitton bag yet you’re bitching about some tiny marks on it here and there? Ugh…just buy fake bags if you can’t handle used luxury goods, ladies.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/2/2022 at 7:47 PM, ECM1231 said:

If you don't bring your own bags, they charge you a quarter for a brown paper bag. Most bring their own bags. 

We've had to pay 0.10 for bags here for a while, & I used to bring my own reusable bags. Then covid hit & no more. I'm not putting down reusable bags in a place where there can be who knows what germs & bacteria & then bringing it into my home. At least the paper (I always get paper) bags can go right into the recycle bin with little contamination for me, my car, or my house.

On 5/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, SusanM said:

Totally agree, stop jamming everything into the bag & use multiples, like I asked you too. It's a freakin' dime, just use another bag.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I must be super old!  I remember when they would ask at the grocery checkout:  Do you want bags or boxes?  I grew up on Army bases and there was always someone bagging (or boxing) - when my dad was stationed at Leavenworth, they let the prisoners bag in the commissary.

Since COVID started, most of the stores wouldn't let you bring your own bags in, so I've been having them just leave the groceries in the cart and I'll bag them in the car.

I don't know if you can take it through the self-checkout here. I think that some stores have to have a license to sell alcohol on a Sunday, and then it stops around 6pm. We rushed in to get some on a NYE, and they wouldn't sell it to us, because of the day and time.

One couple that made me smile, when in line for alcohol, and not much else: they had just got married. She was in a beautiful dress, he was in a nice suit, and they were really happy.

• Love 5
On 5/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, peacheslatour said:

I've been coloring my hair since I was thirteen. For the last several years I've just used Loreal Preference and sometimes Feria. Great results every time.

I have been coloring may hair for years also (sometimes at the hairdresser; sometimes at home).  I use Loreal (sometimes Garnier) at home.. then go to the hairdresser for highlights.

• Love 1

People who tell me that I’m being misled or gullible, or assume that I don’t “do [my] research” while they are doing those very things. More than a peeve, really. Especially this week. 

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

People who tell me that I’m being misled or gullible, or assume that I don’t “do [my] research” while they are doing those very things. More than a peeve, really. Especially this week. 

Gaslighting is definitely having a moment of late.

• Love 7

My pet peeve about the term “gaslighting” is that it is sometimes over-used to justify one person’s perception of an event over the other’s. Just because one party’s interpretation, perception, or opinion of an event or statement differs from another party’s does not necessarily mean “gaslighting” is happening. 

My adult daughter has used this term on me recently when she quoted me as saying something I did not say. I repeated my original statement verbatim back to her and said I was confused as to why she interpreted my statement differently. She then accused me of gaslighting her. I felt as if she was using the term to shut me down and discredit my own recollection of a statement I had made only a few minutes before.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Join the Club. Lol.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Possibly related to your peeve, but maybe not, as there are various kinds of mean people on the internet: Trolls. Doesn't matter if they are paid for, just deliberately being mean for some twisted fun, useful idiots who fell for those other two categoties. The more misinformation they spread, the worse. I can't specify without getting political, but there's plenty of them in the last years.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Possibly related to your peeve, but maybe not, as there are various kinds of mean people on the internet: Trolls. Doesn't matter if they are paid for, just deliberately being mean for some twisted fun, useful idiots who fell for those other two categoties. The more misinformation they spread, the worse. I can't specify without getting political, but there's plenty of them in the last years.

What kind of personality will take a job where he/she gets paid to be a troll?  To mislead, be obnoxious, mean, offensive, disagreeable, etc. We sure do have a lot of messed up people on this planet (& I include the OTT fans of figure skaters, movie stars, etc).  Like fans of Johnny Depp hanging around at the courthouse in the wee hours, waiting for the creep to arrive for his trial.

• Love 1
(edited)

A pet peeve of mine is how often people in their 30s are called old. I don't like when those who are around that age do it either. I get it, a lot of us would rather be 22 or whatever. We can't dream our lives away at this age. But you've got a way to go before you're a senior citizen. I could understand if you're a teen or early 20s and you think that way. We ARE much older than you. But anyone near that age or older, it doesn't make sense to me. Sometimes folks talk about those in their 30s, in particular women, as if we are old, gray and wrinkled. There are so many stunning women in their 30s. Unless there's a tragedy, we should have decades and decades of life left. If we're in good shape, we can typically still have kids. I found out Kevin Samuels died. And while it is a tragedy as he was only 56, I read some of the stuff he'd say. He'd call any single woman 35 & up leftovers, among many other misogynistic things. So if you're a good person, nice looking, have a job, no drama, you're not a catch solely due to your age?  Which isn't even that old? I know most people aren't that agist, but it's sad how many comments like that I've heard. I remember still being in my 20s several years ago, and this 30-something woman (who was quite pretty) was told "I guess it's too late for you" regarding marriage by an older woman. Stuff like that needs to stop. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

A pet peeve of mine is how often people in their 30s are called old. I don't like when those who are around that age do it either. I get it, a lot of us would rather be 22 or whatever. We can't dream our lives away at this age. But you've got a way to go before you're a senior citizen. I could understand if you're a teen or early 20s and you think that way. We ARE much older than you. But anyone near that age or older, it doesn't make sense to me. Sometimes folks talk about those in their 30s, in particular women, as if we are old, gray and wrinkled. There are so many stunning women in their 30s. Unless there's a tragedy, we should have decades and decades of life left. If we're in good shape, we can typically still have kids. I found out Kevin Samuels died. And while it is a tragedy as he was only 56, I read some of the stuff he'd say. He'd call any single woman 35 & up leftovers, among many other misogynistic things. So if you're a good person, nice looking, have a job, no drama, you're not a catch solely due to your age?  Which isn't even that old? I know most people aren't that agist, but it's sad how many comments like that I've heard. I remember still being in my 20s several years ago, and this 30-something woman (who was quite pretty) was told "I guess it's too late for you" regarding marriage by an older woman. Stuff like that needs to stop. 

Especially when people look "younger" now than the same aged people did in the old days.  Think Golden Girls versus And Just Like That.  Of course, 80s hairstyles and clothes aged just about anyone, but still.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

This age sneering was going on back in the late 80's. I remember a staff member, who worked in the main office of the fdn I worked for, getting black balloons for her birthday party. I was so glad I worked in one of the field offices & didn't have to endure that (altho' I don't think they would've dared as I didn't come across as the kind of person who would've found that funny). We ought to turn this against all the dirty "old" men (no matter their age) who lust after teens and early twenty somethings. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Never trust anyone over 30.

And now ......Peter frampton!

If you really want to be amazed at aging in Hollywood for women watch sunset boulevard.  All about a over the hill aging actress who has no place in Hollywood anymore and is ignored, a recluse who sits alone in her mansion. Based on the tonr and how she looks you'd think she is 70 plus 

Nope, they never explicitly state but throughout the movie you figure out she's like.....50!!  And over the hill

• Love 2
On 5/6/2022 at 6:45 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

And now ......Peter frampton!

If you really want to be amazed at aging in Hollywood for women watch sunset boulevard.  All about a over the hill aging actress who has no place in Hollywood anymore and is ignored, a recluse who sits alone in her mansion. Based on the tonr and how she looks you'd think she is 70 plus 

Nope, they never explicitly state but throughout the movie you figure out she's like.....50!!  And over the hill

Though they’d likely cast a 60-something if they were to do a remake set in the present day.  In fact, the Diahann Caroll was Norma in the Toronto production of the musical version of Sunset back in the mid-90s.  

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, PRgal said:

Though they’d likely cast a 60-something if they were to do a remake set in the present day.  In fact, the Diahann Caroll was Norma in the Toronto production of the musical version of Sunset back in the mid-90s.  

I bet that was great. Did you see it?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I bet that was great. Did you see it?

Yes!  There was some criticism of the casting not only because of her age, but because she's black.  The mid-90s was the beginning of colour-blind casting in stage productions and one reason why I wanted to become a Broadway actress (not realizing that I'm really not that great...lol).  Had I been half a generation younger, I suppose I could also hope to be cast in a season of Bridgerton too (not realizing that I'm not THAT good of an actress...and that they probably prefer British actors and not this Canuck who can do a British accent).

• Love 1

I have a doctor's appt tomorrow morning that I need to cancel. The office doesn't have a voice-mail and their online message system hasn't been working since they switched to a new platform. This means I have no way to give notice that I need to cancel until tomorrow morning. Hopefully they don't charge me the late cancel fee.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I have a doctor's appt tomorrow morning that I need to cancel. The office doesn't have a voice-mail and their online message system hasn't been working since they switched to a new platform. This means I have no way to give notice that I need to cancel until tomorrow morning. Hopefully they don't charge me the late cancel fee.

Can you text or email them? Just to have it on record--on your end at least--that you did your best to contact them, so if they charge you, you have proof that you tried.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Can you text or email them? Just to have it on record--on your end at least--that you did your best to contact them, so if they charge you, you have proof that you tried.

I was hoping I could send them a message through their portal. It wasn't working on Friday, either. At this point all I can do is call when they open at 8. This doctor saved my hearing, I want to stay on good terms. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

My Pet Peeve is the Commercials on t.v.  It’s getting worse and worse as time goes by.  One scene, then ten commercials follow.  Very annoying.

I’m particularly annoyed by ONE commercial that is always on… the Vrbo ad with Kermit the Frog singing.  That’s one pet peeve.  Annoying music in ads.  

• Love 3
(edited)

“Impordant.” (ie, “important”).

OK, I am not wild about super-emphasized “imporTant” either, but “impordant” sounds nuts to me. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I've experienced this too! Honestly, I need to minimize Monday appointments for this reason, because a lot of places want 24-hour notice within the workweek time frame. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh my god, my peeve over the last couple of days is stuff that just does not open the way it should! First, a jar of roasted red peppers that we gave up on, then a bottle of vodka with a smooth cap that is just not grippable (also gave up on that), and now pretzels and hummus that come in a little divided cup kind of thing. Seriously, I hope no one is putting this thing in their poor kids' lunches! Also, there are not enough pretzels to scoop up all of this hummus!

Speaking of hummus, I got a "Mediterranean Veggie" sandwich from Panera the other night. It's usually really good but this time, there was almost no hummus on it! You know when you're making a peanut butter sandwich and you clean the excess off the knife by wiping it on the blank slice of bread? Well, that's about the amount of hummus I had!

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 11.48.21 AM.png

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Also, there are not enough pretzels to scoop up all of this hummus!

Agreed! I've been wondering if they have a side plan with these things to convince people that proper amount of hummus with each bite is way more than you would think. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2