Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

Yet another Q about hair extensions:

When Twit wears her hair wadded up into a bun -- more & more her go-to hairdo -- does she remove her extensions? Or are they a part of the bun? (Her bun seems too small to hold a lot of hair, but what do I know?)

19 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Ok, God help me, I went to Depends website. Their largest size fits up to a 64" hip, and I don't think Twit would fit into one. 

You know I'm going start getting spam about adult diapers. The things I do for yinz.....

I feel for you, I was googling Whitney Thor healthy eating, and got about 10 pop ups for all you can eat buffets in Greensboro

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Dot said:

When Twit wears her hair wadded up into a bun -- more & more her go-to hairdo -- does she remove her extensions? Or are they a part of the bun? (Her bun seems too small to hold a lot of hair, but what do I know?)

There were times on the show you can clearly see the tape or whatever holding them in.  To me, it is Whit being lazy throwing it up in a bun - seems that is all we are seeing - she probably throws some dry shampoo on and her tank and spandex pants and slaps on a bra and calls it a day - her hair always looks greasy.  I think she only showers for her talking heads

• Love 2

I think I have the same kind of extensions she does - tape-in extensions. You have a stylist attach them to your hair and they stay there until a stylist removes them (some people remove them on their own, but I wouldn't - it's a good way to pull your natural hair out). My stylist takes them out every 8 weeks, then I get my hair colored and she puts them back in again. They aren't easily removed. It takes my stylist about 30 minutes (and I have quite a few). It would take me two to three times as long to take them all out and make sure any stray bits of adhesive are removed. She sprays the hair extension equivalent of nail polish remover on the tape, then gently removes the extensions. She applies new tapes to the ends of the extensions and washes and conditions them before reapplying them. They are re-usable which is one of the great benefits of tape-in extensions.

I can put my hair in a low bun on my own and the tapes do not show. I cannot do a higher bun (much higher than the nape of my neck) or a high ponytail, without the extensions showing. It's hard to explain why - each tape-in extension is about an inch across and when your hair is loose, they lay flat against your head. As long as your hair is hanging straight down - or mostly so as it is in a low bun or ponytail - the extensions lay flat and are covered by your own hair. When you pull your hair across the back of your head (say to put it at an ear-height ponytail) or higher, the extensions don't lay flat and are more visible. My stylist can do pretty much any hairstyle with extensions that she can with natural hair but I'm just not that talented.

More to your direct question, I don't think that Whitney removes her extensions. If she does, it's not on a daily or even weekly basis to change hairstyles. The type that I think she has (if they are like mine) are not meant to be removed and reapplied that often. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I think I have the same kind of extensions she does - tape-in extensions. You have a stylist attach them to your hair and they stay there until a stylist removes them (some people remove them on their own, but I wouldn't - it's a good way to pull your natural hair out). My stylist takes them out every 8 weeks, then I get my hair colored and she puts them back in again. They aren't easily removed. It takes my stylist about 30 minutes (and I have quite a few). It would take me two to three times as long to take them all out and make sure any stray bits of adhesive are removed. She sprays the hair extension equivalent of nail polish remover on the tape, then gently removes the extensions. She applies new tapes to the ends of the extensions and washes and conditions them before reapplying them. They are re-usable which is one of the great benefits of tape-in extensions.

I can put my hair in a low bun on my own and the tapes do not show. I cannot do a higher bun (much higher than the nape of my neck) or a high ponytail, without the extensions showing. It's hard to explain why - each tape-in extension is about an inch across and when your hair is loose, they lay flat against your head. As long as your hair is hanging straight down - or mostly so as it is in a low bun or ponytail - the extensions lay flat and are covered by your own hair. When you pull your hair across the back of your head (say to put it at an ear-height ponytail) or higher, the extensions don't lay flat and are more visible. My stylist can do pretty much any hairstyle with extensions that she can with natural hair but I'm just not that talented.

More to your direct question, I don't think that Whitney removes her extensions. If she does, it's not on a daily or even weekly basis to change hairstyles. The type that I think she has (if they are like mine) are not meant to be removed and reapplied that often. 

Thank you so much for this info, @Elizzikra. That answers a lot of Qs I've had about extensions. (I kinda thought they were something you could manipulate on your own.)

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Colleenna said:

You know I'm going start getting spam about adult diapers. The things I do for yinz.....

The ads will show up on every page you visit.  
And are you from Pittsburgh?  I'm not, but BreakingBurgh is my favorite humor mag, and "yinz" is a word I've seen there.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, auntjess said:

And are you from Pittsburgh?  I'm not, but BreakingBurgh is my favorite humor mag, and "yinz" is a word I've seen there.

Go Stillers! (not really, I'm a Dallas fan, but my husband is a Steeler fan, so I have to support them too if I want to stay married).

Edited by Emma C
i love my husband
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Emma C said:

Go Stillers! (not really, I'm a Dallas fan, but my husband is a Steeler fan, so I have to support them too if I want to stay married).

I'm in the same boat! Although I'm a Packers fan. And the first year we were together, our teams played in the Super Bowl and my team won. It's a miracle he ever married me after that :-P

• Love 4
On 9/13/2018 at 10:33 AM, ClareWalks said:

I'm in the same boat! Although I'm a Packers fan. And the first year we were together, our teams played in the Super Bowl and my team won. It's a miracle he ever married me after that :-P

I remember that Super Bowl!! I was secretly rooting for Green Bay.

• Love 1
On 9/13/2018 at 10:33 AM, ClareWalks said:

I've got ya beat.... I married a RAIDERS fan. Of course, every time ESPN or NFL Network plays an ad that shows it, I have to point out the "Immaculate Reception" to my beloved. He married me anyways. :-D 

After a few more weeks, won't be watching much TV as it airs. STILLERS and PENS!!! (And if the Buccos would ever have a post-season team.....)

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

So Twit already has this new Halloween costume option available in her own closet.  Lord, I hope she doesn't act on the idea!

Being old & therefore by definition not with it, I had to look up "influencer" in the Urban Dict.

My guess is that Twit considers herself an influencer. I mean, who -- besides Poodle Tal -- designates herself a "public figure" on IG? And she already chooses to wear this costume. In the gym. At the grocery store. While driving to Starbucks. When attending a dance on a cruise ship.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Dot said:

Being old & therefore by definition not with it, I had to look up "influencer" in the Urban Dict.

My guess is that Twit considers herself an influencer. I mean, who -- besides Poodle Tal -- designates herself a "public figure" on IG? And she already chooses to wear this costume. In the gym. At the grocery store. While driving to Starbucks. When attending a dance on a cruise ship.

and when blubbering in her car into the gallon of ice cream.

• Love 5
On 9/12/2018 at 12:15 AM, Elizzikra said:

I think I have the same kind of extensions she does - tape-in extensions.

I would love to have some tape in extensions to add some fullness to my hair. I wonder, though, would they work if you shampoo and blow dry your hair every other day? Seems like the water and heat would loosen the adhesive. 

4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

would they work if you shampoo and blow dry your hair every other day? Seems like the water and heat would loosen the adhesive. 

Whitney has an excuse to stay away from the shower.  Finally!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Brooks said:

Whitney has an excuse to stay away from the shower.  Finally!

Alas, no. :)  According to an expert, "The adhesive used to bond a glued-in hair weave is not water-soluble and is perfectly safe to wash. A well-cared for glued-in weave will last roughly one to two months before the glue begins to loosen. During that time, you will have to wash your hair regularly to prevent salt, dirt, and mold from accumulating."

I kind of lost my appetite at the reference to "mold," but I bet Whitney wouldn't.

• Love 3

It does appear (to me)  Whitney is losing some weight (not that she wants to!).  It’s not the photoshopped amount in some photos but she does appear “smaller” to me.  I hope she keeps working out if even only for the TLC check.  I’d be curious to see what Whitney’s personality would be like if she actually lost and kept the weight off.  Somehow I think it’d be even worse.  I do find it interesting that nobody who knew her back then (who are not on the show) has much to say, even the most dlist celebrities have people who knew them when trying to get their 5 minutes of fame spilling dirt/selling stories to TMZ.  It’s like nobody knows who she really is outside of the people on the show.  I might have to use my husband’s library card to check out her book to see if there’s any back story from other people.  Was the fiancé she had during her Korea years someone she met there or someone from Greensboro?

• Love 3

She met him her first year in college at a theatre party and thought he was "shy" and "handsome." That's about all you get to know of his personality, other than she suspected him of cheating, was pleased when he told her she didn't eat that much, felt loved when he cooked for her and asked if she'd had enough food after every meal, and was upset when he posted only younger, slim pictures of her on his Facebook page, rather than pictures at her actual 200lb weight at the time. Then, when he sort of awkwardly asked her to marry him (she basically backed him  into it, as far as I can tell) she said "yes," "guided by [her] instinct, which told her that finding a man [she] loved who wanted to marry [her] was akin to a miracle." They broke up in Korea and she implies it was because he turned out to be a "feeder." However, she does tend to blame others for her misfortunes over and over in the book, in ways that cast her as an innocent victim of fat shaming, so I'm not sure how much credence I give to any of the stories she tells.

My own theory on why we haven't heard from others in her past is that she had very few friends, for many reasons, and most of those are now on her payroll. As to any others out there I think she is simply not famous enough to trigger "I knew her when" gossip. 

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

My own theory on why we haven't heard from others in her past is that she had very few friends, for many reasons, and most of those are now on her payroll. As to any others out there I think she is simply not famous enough to trigger "I knew her when" gossip. 

Your nickel purchase has really paid off for those of us in the forum. Like @Irate Panda I've been curious about this phantom fiance & I bet others have, too. If I have the math right, she knew/dated this guy throughout all her 4 yrs at ASU. (When you say they broke up in Korea, does that mean he, too, was teaching there?) I find it hard to believe anyone --  male or female -- was intimate with the Twit for 4+ yrs. She's just too needy & that's exhausting after a while.

If he was "handsome" in her eyes, he had a fuzzy, unkempt beard & was obese. (Ref: Buddy & Isenberger are "hot.")

Her lack of friends seems obvious, given the boos when her name was announced Prom Night. And it's telling that salesppl at Torrid (or was it Lane Bryant?) don't have a clue as to who she is, per one of the forum comments of a few months ago.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Dot said:

(When you say they broke up in Korea, does that mean he, too, was teaching there?)

Yes, she says someone they both knew from college went to Korea to teach English and after she and fiancé graduated, they decide to go, too, "[for lack of] any better future plans."

• Love 3

Then, when he sort of awkwardly asked her to marry him (she basically backed him  into it, as far as I can tell)

Having seen her with Roy, Buddy, and the other males on the show I always thought she may have believed the engagement to be more than it actually was in reality. Did he ever give her a ring? If she provided any can you give any more details about the "proposal" and length of engagement? Knowing her, it is possible that he called off the engagement and she followed him to Korea anyway.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Ketzel said:

She met him her first year in college at a theatre party and thought he was "shy" and "handsome." That's about all you get to know of his personality, other than she suspected him of cheating, was pleased when he told her she didn't eat that much, felt loved when he cooked for her and asked if she'd had enough food after every meal, and was upset when he posted only younger, slim pictures of her on his Facebook page, rather than pictures at her actual 200lb weight at the time. Then, when he sort of awkwardly asked her to marry him (she basically backed him  into it, as far as I can tell) she said "yes," "guided by [her] instinct, which told her that finding a man [she] loved who wanted to marry [her] was akin to a miracle." They broke up in Korea and she implies it was because he turned out to be a "feeder." However, she does tend to blame others for her misfortunes over and over in the book, in ways that cast her as an innocent victim of fat shaming, so I'm not sure how much credence I give to any of the stories she tells.

Thank you for the synopsis.  I don’t really know anything about feeders but if he were one wouldn’t he be happy to show off her fatter pictures am I missing something or is this just Whitney logic again?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Me from ME said:

Did he ever give her a ring? If she provided any can you give any more details about the "proposal" and length of engagement? Knowing her, it is possible that he called off the engagement and she followed him to Korea anyway.

She says they had discussions about getting married in the future, in what she refers to as a "that's far off kind of way." But then one night they were in bed and he asked her what she would say if he asked her right then.  She asked him if he was actually proposing "right now" and she reports his response as "I guess I am." So she replied, 'I would say yes."  The next day they looked for a ring and found one on ebay. They picked it up at the post office and she was glad it didn't need re-sizing.

When she got her PCOS diagnosis, he assured her he'd marry her even if she couldn't have children.

They traveled together to Korea, were trained for teaching ESL and shared a small apartment

(I should add that following a chronology when reading Whitney's book is impossible. She seems to go out of her way to obscure when things happened at all, or when things happened in relation to each other. Things happen after things, with no indication of how much time passed between them. Different chapters cover what seems to be the same period of time, but it's never clear how the events she's discussing overlapped. And then there are random time-related comments, like it took her five years to graduate from college, but there is never anything like an actual date to pin events to anywhere.)

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Which one is her ex? The shorter one?

Honestly, both guys look as if they're thinking "Get me the f**k out of here!" But if one of them was her fiance, I'd bet on the one with man boobs. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Honestly, both guys look as if they're thinking "Get me the f**k out of here!" But if one of them was her fiance, I'd bet on the one with man boobs. 

I agree. They both have the same horrified expression of all of her imaginary relationships. I am skeptical she was ever truly engaged to either one of these guys. I would assume this photo was taken when she was supposedly engaged rather than after the breakup. That doesn’t look like a man standing next to his future wife. 

I have a fantasy that after the final season, I’m assuming it’s coming soon, instead of the ‘Tell-All’ with Whitney and her family there will be a tell all from people who know all the lies she told. The supposed fiancé is on the top of my list. I bet this guy would have a story closer to Whit being his stalker rather than his fiancé 

• Love 5

They shared an apartment in Korea...in the future I anticipate she will say she lived with Buddy and he helped her get out of the bathtub. And, she lived with a man who claimed he was her domestic partner but she then discovered that he was gay. All true, just that the truth is a little shaded to fit her narrative.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Why is everyone in the background of that photo so clean if this was some kind of mud festival?

• Love 4

So she can track down the women in the Avi “love” trapezoid across different countries, oceans, and continents, but she doesn’t know what color her eyes are.....mmm’kay.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 5

I have seen this show a couple a times and wasn't very impressed. Her cry baby attitude to her using her diagnosis as a crutch. I dont see how her parents or anyone for that stand being around her for more than 5 minutes.

• Love 5

Has anyone watched Whitney’s awful TED talk? Lol 

She says she was really skinny before college, but she also tells a story about overhearing girls in the bathroom saying “when was the last time Whitney saw 90210? When she stepped on the scale.” That was before puberty. 

She also stops for laughs after saying “I was more of a Saved By the Bell girl myself.” It’s cringe.

Whitney in general is just one giant cringe. I can’t get enough of her cringeworthy life.

• Love 4
On 10/02/2018 at 1:36 AM, tdanaher said:

She looks like dr robotnik 

If the music is two beats late, wouldn’t that make Whitney early, not late herself, And therefore, no need to catch up? She couldn’t manage waiting two beats? 

How can she not feel any embarrassment for that performance? She’s being treated like a special needs child. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, kokapetl said:

If the music is two beats late, wouldn’t that make Whitney early, not late herself, And therefore, no need to catch up? She couldn’t manage waiting two beats? 

How can she not feel any embarrassment for that performance? She’s being treated like a special needs child. 

That is not dancing. That is very nearly identical to what I do in the pool as a stretch/cool down after my swim. And I am in no way a dancer. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, kokapetl said:

All i see is flying arms when Twitney “dances”

awful.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, kokapetl said:

It's impossible to "dance" at that size. I'm embarrassed for her, as much as I dislike her. All she's doing is waddling around, flapping her arms, barely lifting her legs and rolling her head. In one part, she looked like a bison getting ready to charge. What's sad is she is taking this joke of a performance seriously. 

The reaction of the audience appeared to be "Don't react, it's being filmed".

• Love 4

I would love to have some tape in extensions to add some fullness to my hair. I wonder, though, would they work if you shampoo and blow dry your hair every other day? Seems like the water and heat would loosen the adhesive. 

I use Hotheads extensions. If you google them, you can find a salon to put them in for you.

I leave mine in for 8 weeks, then have them removed to have my hair colored. Then we put them back in. You can reuse them multiple times.

I wash and dry my hair every other day (sometimes every third day if I'm lazy). The only thing that loosens the bond is conditioner so I use it only on the ends and I do fine. I seldom lose an extension in the 8 weeks they are in. If I get a massage (God, I sound high maintenance - massages are rare), I skip the scalp massage as I assume the oil would loosen the adhesive as well. But shampoo, water and heat are all fine. 

I love them. 

39 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I use Hotheads extensions.

Hey, so does Whitney! And she even added a Whitneyism to her mention - getchu! (I so wanted to reply "gesundheit!" but I don't really post on Facebook at all, let alone in response to Whitney.)

From her October 8, 2018 Facebook page:

[Y]ou can have some bomb curls like this too! Getchu some @hotheadshairextensions!!!

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 1
On 11/18/2018 at 12:37 PM, kokapetl said:

I feel like I'm being a bad person for being reminded of the dancing hippo sequence from Fantasia. Except that the hippos were really graceful and actually dancing, unlike Witless here who is just waving her arms about and doing some very, very basic steps across the floor. My first-year ballet classes as a toddler had more challenging choreography.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

My first-year ballet classes as a toddler had more challenging choreography.

But-but-but she did an Arabesque!!! (Whitney style)

It's at 1:05 minutes on the video, if anyone wants to relive that magic moment and didn't recognize it as an Arabesque when watching it the first time. Or the second. Or ever.

• Love 4
On 11/18/2018 at 9:37 AM, kokapetl said:

I always enjoy seeing this video of her museum "dance." (It's one of my favorites, along with "skiing" & gobbling cupcakes.)

In terms of embarassment, I wonder how the museum feels, 5 years later, about being gulled into lettingTwit "dance" under its auspices & giving her an award to boot?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

I feel like I'm being a bad person for being reminded of the dancing hippo sequence from Fantasia. Except that the hippos were really graceful and actually dancing, unlike Witless here who is just waving her arms about and doing some very, very basic steps across the floor. My first-year ballet classes as a toddler had more challenging choreography.

It reminds me of a baby elephant waving its trunk when she flaps both arms in front of her. 

• Love 1