Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

On 3/2/2018 at 1:36 PM, Dot said:

S-5 has turned out to be very odd. It's as tho TLC ordered PMG (production co.) to make Twit look as awful as possible.

Remember, it's all in the editing. PMG's editors back in the LA studio can take a 1,000 hrs of film & make anyone either a hero or a goat. Twit is a goat, from beginning to end.

?She is unable to handle the exertion required for TFM's tour.
? She is a petulant asshole about BGDC.
? She is a pathetic nutcase over Avi.
? Ditto about Ashley's pregnancy.
? She is abusive & ungracious to her father.
? She is shown on all fours with her ass in the air being rubbed down with lotion by a gay male.
? She turns a 4 mile stroll into the Bataan Death March.
? She then abuses not only Glenn but everyone else in her circle, apparently with the intent of ruining their vacation.

Twit has said she doesn't see an episode until viewers do. And, since her wardrobe never changes, it's obvious the THs for the whole season are all filmed in one sitting without her actually seeing an episode in its entirety.

I think she was genuinely horrified by how she looks in the last episode. That's why there's no crowing about it on FB -- no mention at all. That's why she keeps posting videos of exercising at the gym.

What did TLC tell PMG about filming S-5? Were there instructions given to make Twit, who has gone rogue on TLC's initial premise, look as bad as possible? (That is, to show her REAL personality -- histrionic, boundary-less, very disabled, NOT fabulous at all.)

If so, why? Has TLC decided this is the last season of MBFFL? Or has it told PMG the series will continue only if Twit goes along with being filmed as the world's biggest asshole?

Very good observations. And we can only hope she was horrified--unless she changes her eating habits, however, all that gym work will be for nothing in the weight loss category. 

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Interesting. I never use my middle name except on legal documents. I wonder why she uses her full name in introductions, etc.

That struck me as odd too, since her name is already unusual. If she was "Jane Smith," I could understand. I have a very long name with two middle names, but my first/last is unusual; I'm the only person in the US with the name so I don't bother with the full name, ever. There are two Canadian men with my name but I'm female, so it doesn't come up much!

1 hour ago, Maricopa said:

That struck me as odd too, since her name is already unusual. If she was "Jane Smith," I could understand. I have a very long name with two middle names, but my first/last is unusual; I'm the only person in the US with the name so I don't bother with the full name, ever. There are two Canadian men with my name but I'm female, so it doesn't come up much!

I wonder if it’s a bit of a southern thing. Usually southern girls who use two names have middle names like Lou, Anne, Jo etc. but Whitney Way could be a take on that. 

20 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I wonder if it’s a bit of a southern thing. Usually southern girls who use two names have middle names like Lou, Anne, Jo etc. but Whitney Way could be a take on that. 

But we've never heard anyone on the show call her "Whitney Way," have we?

23 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

But we've never heard anyone on the show call her "Whitney Way," have we?

No but when she introduces herself it's usually as "Whitney Way Thore." 

To be fair, in formal situations, I do give my middle name when introducing myself, followed quickly with a "call me Meg" disclaimer as the whole thing is just impossibly long. But mine are both of my grandmothers' names. My brother uses his middle name as his name but introduces himself with his full name as there are currently 3 of same names running around town. My uncle is Name III or just Name and his son is Name A. or Name IV.

• Love 1

To be fair, in formal situations, I do give my middle name when introducing myself, followed quickly with a "call me Meg" disclaimer as the whole thing is just impossibly long. But mine are both of my grandmothers' names. My brother uses his middle name as his name but introduces himself with his full name as there are currently 3 of same names running around town. My uncle is Name III or just Name and his son is Name A. or Name IV.

Fair enough! I've never done that but I do have a really long name when you string it altogether and I've never been particularly attached to my middle name. I know other people who do as you do...

5 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

No but when she introduces herself it's usually as "Whitney Way Thore." 

All of the theories sound plausible, but my guess is she's just trying to sound more important by using her full name. Especially in the acting world, you have a fair number of actors who go by three names: Daniel Day Lewis, Sarah Jessica Parker, Helena Bonham Carter, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Haley Joel Osment, etc. 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Maggienolia said:

All of the theories sound plausible, but my guess is she's just trying to sound more important by using her full name. Especially in the acting world, you have a fair number of actors who go by three names: Daniel Day Lewis, Sarah Jessica Parker, Helena Bonham Carter, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Haley Joel Osment, etc. 

Actors and serial killers LOL

• Love 16
13 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Yes, it's not uncommon in the South  (but it's been awhile since Southerners commonly called their girls Linda Lou or Betty Anne). The double name with a surname as the second is more of an upper/upper middle class thing. https://www.southernliving.com/double-names

• Love 2
On 3/4/2018 at 6:48 AM, 3girlsforus said:

I don't think so. Usually the second name is very girly...for  example, my mother, from Charleston SC, has a first name of Carliss Blossom, and I am not making that up. She ended up just going by Blossom (her dad's name was Carl, and his violin teacher's name was Blossom). Maybe it's a nod to Babs that she uses it.

You know what WOULD be fabulous?

For the Hawaii fiasco to be a wake-up call for Whitney.  Maybe get her to actually start eating healthier/less and start REALLY getting more physically active.  Shoot, Richard Simmons made about 5 different DVDs.  She could work out with him - DANCING - and even steal choreography . . . but it would be to her benefit.

Then, next year, she could get TLC to pay for her to go back to Hawaii and prove how FABULOUS her life is when she can actually walk a distance that most HEALTHY people can walk.

I would actually rather see that than to continue to have them show a morbidly obese woman who is just collecting her MBFFL paycheck until they can switch her over to the M600PL payroll.

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

For the Hawaii fiasco to be a wake-up call for Whitney.  Maybe get her to actually start eating healthier/less and start REALLY getting more physically active.  Shoot, Richard Simmons made about 5 different DVDs.  She could work out with him - DANCING - and even steal choreography . . . but it would be to her benefit.

Then, next year, she could get TLC to pay for her to go back to Hawaii and prove how FABULOUS her life is when she can actually walk a distance that most HEALTHY people can walk.

I would actually rather see that than to continue to have them show a morbidly obese woman who is just collecting her MBFFL paycheck until they can switch her over to the M600PL payroll.

I think something's up in that regard. We know from her SM pages that she's back in the gym, that she's hired a "culinary coach" to teach her how to cook healthy food choices. Maybe TLC took a look at how disabled she's become & said, "Get in better shape, lose the weight you've gained since S-1, or there will not be even the hope of a S-6."

• Love 12

Maybe TLC took a look at how disabled she's become & said, "Get in better shape, lose the weight you've gained since S-1, or there will not be even the hope of a S-6."

Are we all enablers because we watch? It's not like TLC cares why we watch or what percentage of viewers are hate watching. They just care that people are watching. If/as long as they think that Whitney being in terrible shape draws in viewers, that's what they will keep showing.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Richard Simmons is a gift to the world and my actual honest to god idol (I was him for Halloween in 2016 and, despite being very fit, was struggling with a disability due to an injury--FYI, Richard Simmons using a walker is a charming sight that makes people think you're being ironic, and move your walker around because they think it's part of the costume and don't realize you actually need it). Anyway, Richard Simmons is a wonderful, exuberant human being whose attitude I try to emulate whenever I can. He made fitness accessible to people who never thought they were capable of exercising. He's a genuine and kind person and if Whitney gets the chance to meet him and doesn't take advantage of the gifts he has to give, I would be personally offended. She thinks she's hot shit but she would be incredibly privileged to have the chance to get to work with him. 

Sorry for the rant, but Richard Simmons is my personal #1 idol for a lot of reasons and I don't think she deserves to breathe the same air as him.

• Love 21
7 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

Sorry for the rant, but Richard Simmons is my personal #1 idol for a lot of reasons and I don't think she deserves to breathe the same air as him.

I sure don't consider it a rant . . . I personally own the whole set of his "Sweatin' to the Oldies" DVDs, and have mentioned to hubby that we should utilize them as part of our wellness routine.  We strive for 10,000 steps a day, and I don't see why some of them can't be done dancing!!!  (I'm 71, he'll be 77 on Monday.)

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Dot said:

I think something's up in that regard. We know from her SM pages that she's back in the gym, that she's hired a "culinary coach" to teach her how to cook healthy food choices. Maybe TLC took a look at how disabled she's become & said, "Get in better shape, lose the weight you've gained since S-1, or there will not be even the hope of a S-6."

The whole thing with the "culinary coach" is just another in the line of Whitney trying to show everyone that she's not at fault while desperately trying to be relevant and make people pay attention to her. I saw her on the videos with Will Power and the body builders where she continues to assert that her problem is actually that she doesn't eat enough.

She's sitting there more than double the weight of a male body builder nearly a foot taller than herself and claiming that her problem is under eating.

Having Whitney discuss healthy eating on a panel about nutrition protocol is like getting literary advice from someone who can't read or asking a blind person to pick the color scheme for your house. She's enormous, and she's talking about health and fitness like she has any business being there. I only wonder why WIll Powell is remotely willing to damage his reputation by including her in stuff like this:

• Love 10
14 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I think this is a great idea which pretty much guarantees that Whitney wouldn’t do it. I wonder if TLC would even consider it since it would mean committing to another season and trusting her to actually make the effort to get in better shape. She doesn’t have a track record of follow through. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, cherenkov said:

Having Whitney discuss healthy eating on a panel about nutrition protocol is like getting literary advice from someone who can't read or asking a blind person to pick the color scheme for your house. She's enormous, and she's talking about health and fitness like she has any business being there. I only wonder why WIll Powell is remotely willing to damage his reputation by including her in stuff like this:

Will does a lot of workshops and boot camps aimed at obese people wanting a jumpstart towards returning to fitness. I wonder if he's including Whitney to demonstrate that at his gym, people in her state are treated respectfully. He's also gotten at least one other long-term client who found him through the show, although she appears to be seriously committed to weigh loss, unlike Whitney.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Will does a lot of workshops and boot camps aimed at obese people wanting a jumpstart towards returning to fitness. I wonder if he's including Whitney to demonstrate that at his gym, people in her state are treated respectfully. He's also gotten at least one other long-term client who found him through the show, although she appears to be seriously committed to weigh loss, unlike Whitney.

Using someone who's serious and shows measurable progress over time would be a good testimony to his abilities as a trainer, especially if they were disavowing fat logic at the same time. A person who says "I used to believe that I was fat because I didn't eat enough, but then I learned about healthy eating in reasonable portions and using exercise to preserve strength and improve my cardiovascular health" is a reasonable thing, especially if there's visible improvement in their fitness.

Including Whitney is not.

• Love 11

Richard Simmons is a wonderful, exuberant human being whose attitude I try to emulate whenever I can. He made fitness accessible to people who never thought they were capable of exercising. He's a genuine and kind person and if Whitney gets the chance to meet him and doesn't take advantage of the gifts he has to give, I would be personally offended. She thinks she's hot shit but she would be incredibly privileged to have the chance to get to work with him. 

Sadly I don't think that Richard Simmons is working any longer. There was a lot of speculation in the tabloids about what has happened to him and a podcast series as well. At a minimum, he is something of  a shut-in in his own home these days. So, deserving or not, I think it's unlikely that Whitney will be working with him.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ketzel said:

Of course, Miranda had already lost more than 120 #s & had bariactic surgery BEFORE she joined Will's gym.

Anyway, she's obviously a success story. Why wouldn't Will put her on his panel rather than a fraud like Twit, who bobs & weaves, distracts & deflects, almost every Q asked? Unless, of course, she chooses to lie: "My challenge is that I don't eat regularly and I don't eat enough."

• Love 8
6 hours ago, cherenkov said:

Using someone who's serious and shows measurable progress over time would be a good testimony to his abilities as a trainer, especially if they were disavowing fat logic at the same time. A person who says "I used to believe that I was fat because I didn't eat enough, but then I learned about healthy eating in reasonable portions and using exercise to preserve strength and improve my cardiovascular health" is a reasonable thing, especially if there's visible improvement in their fitness.

Including Whitney is not.

My sister in law recently lost about 40 lbs with the assistance of a nutritionist...she was told the same thing, that she wasn't eating enough. What that means is that she was skipping meals, then eating the wrong type of food. It is better to eat several smaller (healthy) meals over the course of the day than to eat one large meal, even if that one is healthy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, connieinnc said:

My sister in law recently lost about 40 lbs with the assistance of a nutritionist...she was told the same thing, that she wasn't eating enough. What that means is that she was skipping meals, then eating the wrong type of food. It is better to eat several smaller (healthy) meals over the course of the day than to eat one large meal, even if that one is healthy.

When it comes to losing weight, the absolutely only relevant thing is whether or not one is consuming more than one is using, or less. This is an absolutely inviolate principle of the physics that governs everything in the known universe, including human beings.

It does not matter whether that calorie deficit has been achieved in six small meals a day, or a single large one. Meal timing does not matter. Type of food does not matter one bit when it comes to weight loss. If the carbon going in is less than the carbon going out, the carbon based life form gets smaller. If the carbon going in is greater than the carbon going out, the carbon based life form gets larger.

Your sister-in-law may have found it easier to maintain a deficit without binging because she ate more frequently, but I can guarantee you that it was absolutely not an increase in caloric intake that caused weight loss.

• Love 6

Meal timing does not matter. 

It doesn't in terms of the mathematics but it absolutely does in terms of human behavior and physiology. People who don't eat all day and then eat one huge meal are more likely to consume more calories in that single meal than they are if they ate four or five smaller meals throughout the day. You go all day without food (or substantial food anyway - I think most people who claim to not eat "all day" actually consume a lot of calories in the form of a soda here, a handful of chips there, etc.). Your stomach is mostly empty and you aren't really satisfied. What do people do when they are really hungry? Eat fast. And when you eat fast - particularly when you are hungry, you are much more likely to a) make poor food choices and b) eat more than you need to feel full. I think most reputable dieticians will recommend smaller meals throughout the day so that you don't ever get too hungry. You don't want ever want to be starving when you sit down to eat. Same principle applies to the advice about never going to the grocery store when you are hungry.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

You don't want ever want to be starving when you sit down to eat.

Did you read my entire comment, or just that sentence you quoted? I specifically addressed the concept that some people, not all but many, find it easier to maintain a calorie deficit on smaller, less frequent meals. A lot of people firmly dislike their stomach being empty, feel really hungry, and then over do it when they do sit down to eat. These are people who benefit from smaller more frequent meals.

I'm not one of them, and do far better on one small and one really large meal in a day. When I say I "go all day without food", I mean that for somewhere around 18 hours of my day I consume water, black coffee, unsweetened iced tea, and espresso. I don't snack. I don't feel "hungry", either. This is typical of those who find intermittent fasting or OMAD (One Meal A Day) actually works for them.

The last time I went to the grocery store hungry I came home with produce and eggs. Exactly what was on my list.

• Love 2

Did you read my entire comment, or just that sentence you quoted?

I did.

The last time I went to the grocery store hungry I came home with produce and eggs. Exactly what was on my list.

Congratulations?

• Love 10
On 4/20/2017 at 10:09 AM, Complexity said:

The article brings me to question whether Buddy, Lennie, and possibly even Whit could be abusing alcohol, if not full-blown alcoholics?

Buddy [Luby Francis Bell III] was charged in 2014 with assaulting a government official, second-degree trespassing, resisting a public officer, public intoxication, and disorderly conduct.

Lennie [Nathaniel David Lee] had a DWI in 2008 for driving over three times the legal limit, and currently has two warrants out for his arrest after making violent threats.

If Buddy (Whit's roommate) and Lennie (her ex-boyfriend) both have charges associated with drinking, it's hard to imagine she did not see them in an intoxicated state. That means she accepted/accepts them in that intoxicated state. I don't know of too many people who put up with drunks unless they're also a drunk. So...

Is Whitney an alcoholic? Or does she abuse alcohol? And given the high calorie content in alcohol, is alcohol part of her weight problem?

Almost a year later, we know @Complexity was right about Buddy’s substance abuse. But what about Whitney? Is she an alcoholic?

• Love 5
(edited)
18 hours ago, cherenkov said:

When it comes to losing weight, the absolutely only relevant thing is whether or not one is consuming more than one is using, or less. This is an absolutely inviolate principle of the physics that governs everything in the known universe, including human beings.

It does not matter whether that calorie deficit has been achieved in six small meals a day, or a single large one. Meal timing does not matter. Type of food does not matter one bit when it comes to weight loss. If the carbon going in is less than the carbon going out, the carbon based life form gets smaller. If the carbon going in is greater than the carbon going out, the carbon based life form gets larger.

Your sister-in-law may have found it easier to maintain a deficit without binging because she ate more frequently, but I can guarantee you that it was absolutely not an increase in caloric intake that caused weight loss.

The eating too much or too little is NOT all about the calories, but timing definitely matters when it comes to metabolic rate and maintaining blood sugar, but I guess I'll agree to disagree. :-)

Edited by connieinnc
  • Love 6
On 2/6/2018 at 3:04 PM, Irate Panda said:

TLC proudly presents the inspirational story : Whitney Way Thore’s Road To Arabesque

1.  NAILS IT in practice!

1AB5C83E-EB55-401C-A666-5452404A8D5F.thumb.jpeg.a99ad7108c3ce80656c966bc2f8e5dec.jpeg

2.  Immediately hurts herself

0D21D7B1-170C-4C93-B020-79C3C8682085.thumb.jpeg.a587c7ec1dbc34db89e73bd5786a28c7.jpeg

3. Grace personified 

29C89096-DC28-46A0-B931-02722F4C2901.thumb.jpeg.e77e0db22e6fecde1a9cd8829472f153.jpeg

4. WOWS the audience

B3B3805D-FF0C-47B9-8B63-109DFE68818B.thumb.jpeg.c7a9320446a3d8f06c84ba27ab22db95.jpeg

5. Gets an award

16951B56-8667-4D70-AE7B-9E0052D9B237.thumb.jpeg.5cd4dfc1ba3fbd7cfa4984274e2645d1.jpeg

An inspirational story that will be passed down through the generations.  Fail miserably, win an award.

I personally think this is another TLC Thore production. Shitny was the only dancer.

• Love 16
6 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

Almost a year later, we know @Complexity was right about Buddy’s substance abuse. But what about Whitney? Is she an alcoholic?

I am not willing to label someone I don't know an alcoholic.  But I do believe that she takes in a lot of empty alcohol calories while "not eating enough."  When she was living at her parents' house and Babs cleaned her room, she came out with piles of dirty plates, wine glasses and empty bottles.  Also, have they ever shown them drinking on the show?  Rarely; if she met her friends out for a normal glass of wine or two you'd think they'd show it.  If all the drinking goes on after cameras leave, then it probably goes on to excess.

• Love 3
On 2/9/2018 at 12:36 PM, tdanaher said:

Sorry this was supposed to be in original post

Omfg she really calls this dancing and except for the people in this forums. Do they really believe she is a trained dancer ? Do they feel bad for her because of the weights issue or the lies around it.

you could so tell that wasn’t a real recital with paying guests .

Edited by Dave James
  • Love 12
23 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Omfg she really calls this dancing and except for the people in this forums. Do they really believe she is a trained dancer ? Do they feel bad for her because of the weights issue or the lies around it.

Maybe they're a paid audience.
My guess is that TLC paid the group, and it needed the money.  Just like rich parents endow colleges that admit their child.
And NO, I don't think Juilliard will ever need money that badly.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Dave James said:

Sorry this was supposed to be in original post

Oh man.  That video.  LOL.  Look at the faces and body language of the "audience" LMAO.

• Love 7

This exchange, on the Four Weddings board, made me wonder if we've misunderstood something about Whit.

PCOD? All I'm finding is polycystic ovarian disease, and I've never had that at a wedding or shower :P

I think it means Potato Chip and Onion Dip!!  LOL!  I thought the same thing at first.

• Love 5

I wonder if Twit will be watching "My 600-Pound Life" next week:

"A former plus-size model and "big is beautiful" advocate, Renee now realizes the mortal mistakes she has made as her weight swells to 600 pounds and her health deteriorates."

Hopefully, Glenn will tie her down in front of the TV and force her to watch.

• Love 15
12 hours ago, AZChristian said:

"A former plus-size model and "big is beautiful" advocate, Renee now realizes the mortal mistakes she has made as her weight swells to 600 pounds and her health deteriorates."

I was wondering about that too, and I'm expecting to hear a lot of Whitney-like justifications early on. perhaps she's (Renee) realized how harmful this whole fat acceptance movement has become.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, AZChristian said:

At one point I would have been hoping for Whitney to see this and have a wake up call, but I just don't care anymore. She makes it so hard to like her or root for her. 

• Love 8