Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

I just want to say .... I am pretty overweight. I am not that active. I have had a hip issue from birth. I am almost 50 years old.  But I absolutely could walk a 5k with no "training" or prep and it absolutely would not take me a year to get ready or an hour to finish.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 14
16 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

What was Whitney’s last weight shown on the show 380s?

I think they showed Whitney weighing in at 350-something last season with Will, but she gave up on the workouts and even PRETENDING to eat right, so I guarantee she is back to nearly 400 at least. Weird how last season she tried to appear like she was doing all the right things, and this season she is clearly like "fuck it" LOL

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I think they showed Whitney weighing in at 350-something last season with Will, but she gave up on the workouts and even PRETENDING to eat right, so I guarantee she is back to nearly 400 at least. Weird how last season she tried to appear like she was doing all the right things, and this season she is clearly like "fuck it" LOL

I am really bad at guessing peoples ages and weights but I thought she was maybe around 480 now.  I was just wondering because I was watching her trying to do the backward roll in season 3 and she couldn’t do it I’m guessing because of her stomach and she seemed a lot smaller then...btw for those with dance experience...because Whitney can’t do the backward roll she does the other move during the lyrical dance.  Does anyone know what this move is called so I can look it up because it literally looks like she is just sticking her foot 3 inches up in the air.  I’m not understanding how this is a complicated move, but I’m sure it might be if anyone else were doing it,so I wanted to see on YouTube.

I think it's telling that she doesn't talk about weight loss anymore. She must be over 400. I think if she was under she'd still pretend she was working on it. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how much she weighs. I always forget how short she is. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I think it's telling that she doesn't talk about weight loss anymore. She must be over 400. I think if she was under she'd still pretend she was working on it. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how much she weighs. I always forget how short she is. 

I have been convinced for some time that she is much closer to 500 #s than 400 regardless of her claim that she hasn't fluctuated more than 10-25 #s since S-1.

About 2 weeks after the cruise, Twit posted a sweaty -- surprise! -- photo of herself stating it was her first trip to the gym since the cruise & she was tired and hurtin'.

If it took her 2 weeks to get to the gym after a cruise, I doubt she's there very often now.

44 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Whitney can’t do the backward roll she does the other move during the lyrical dance.  Does anyone know what this move is called so I can look it up because it literally looks like she is just sticking her foot 3 inches up in the air.

I seem to recall a discussion of this a while back. It was either in this thread or in the S-3 thread of that episode where you saw her try the dance move.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Dot said:

About 2 weeks after the cruise, Twit posted a sweaty -- surprise! -- photo of herself stating it was her first trip to the gym since the cruise & she was tired and hurtin'.

If it took her 2 weeks to get to the gym after a cruise, I doubt she's there very often now.

I always say, if going to the gym is noteworthy, you ain't going often enough. It's like how Ragen Chastain posts after all her Ironman training workouts...every few weeks...it's like "good luck with that" ;)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

Does anyone know what this move is called so I can look it up because it literally looks like she is just sticking her foot 3 inches up in the air.  I’m not understanding how this is a complicated move, but I’m sure it might be if anyone else were doing it,so I wanted to see on YouTube.

Whitney called this move an "arabesque." Here is the arabesque demonstrated in several different aspects.   It takes exceptional balance, extreme flexibility in the lower back, and a surprising amount of strength to raise and hold the leg in position. Feel free to laugh at Whitney's delusional pretension that she is doing an arabesque of any kind.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 9
16 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Whitney called this move an "arabesque." Here is the arabesque demonstrated in several different aspects.   It takes exceptional balance, extreme flexibility in the lower back, and a surprising amount of strength to raise and hold the leg in position. Feel free to laugh at Whitney's delusional pretension that she is doing an arabesque of any kind.

I apologize to you, Ketzel.  After seeing this video, I actually scream out loud “That can’t be the same fucking move!”   Poor Ketzel must be getting the episodes confused.  I actually insisted I go to the TLC app, which I was too lazy to do before I asked this question, because I had to find out what that move was called because Whitney even in all her fuckedupness can’t possibly think in her own words “I executed the move twice”.  I was actually giving her the benefit of the doubt, and said she lifted her foot 3 inches off the ground when most of the time she drug her toe across the floor.  I rewound it 3 times screaming so loud my husband came in asking what was wrong...then looked at my iPad and said “ Oh the 600 lb life show again” (he still doesn’t get this is a different show). I have ZERO dance training and have just executed several back rolls and an arabesque wherein in my second foot at least left the ground....maybe not 180 degrees...maybe not 120 maybe not even 90 but damn sure more than 1 degree. I’m outraged...I told myself I was going to stop getting riled up about this show.  I can’t even imagine if you are an actual professional dancer and this woman claims to be one and compares herself to you. I’d be totally pissed.  I’m pissed and my dance career consists of the 3 backward rolls and a half assed arabesque I just performed in my living room.   “Whitney Thore: So she thinks she can dance— SHE IS WRONG”. Thank you @Ketzel for once again proving Whitney is delusional.

• Love 13

No problem, Irate Panda.  I completely understand. I first realized how arrogant and delusional Whitney Thore was when a dancer friend of mine sent me  what sounded like a completely demented description of this episode. So, like you, I had to watch for myself. And believe me, if I could have  gone through the screen and done a battement into her ass, I would have done so in a heartbeat.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

I...... I don't even know what to say except that is not what Whit was doing.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Whitney has to know she isn’t doing and arabesque or any other legitimate dance move.  She just believes that if she says something it’s true - or at least people watching will believe it’s true. 

She has managed to convince thousands of very aggressive folks that she is indeed working out regularly and losing weight, so she can apparently convince people of anything!

• Love 12
14 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I always say, if going to the gym is noteworthy, you ain't going often enough. It's like how Ragen Chastain posts after all her Ironman training workouts...every few weeks...it's like "good luck with that" ;)

I so completely agree with this.  People at my work are frequently talking about their intention to go to the gym.  There are also less frequent, but still annoying, talks about how they did.  I always think "Go or don't go.  Just shut up about it already."

I recently joined a gym because I figured out how to fit it into my schedule, but I don't feel a compulsion to yak about it all the time.  I use their chatter as a lack of commitment and it kind of drives me to do better than them.  Hate is a good resource when used properly.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I rewound it 3 times screaming so loud my husband came in asking what was wrong...then looked at my iPad and said “ Oh the 600 lb life show again” (he still doesn’t get this is a different show).

Post Liked just for this sentence.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, VIOLETDL said:

Im new to this show. somebody explain to me why this awful woman/child is on tv being paid to be like...that?

There is no explanation.  She did a video of her dancing with Todd, showing that even fat people can dance.  She has parlayed that video into a "career."  Her career is actually making a fool out of herself . . . no one knows for sure whether she realizes it or not.

The denial is strong.

• Love 11

Im new to this show. somebody explain to me why this awful woman/child is on tv being paid to be like...that?

Welcome to the best snark around. I have got to say that for a new viewer  you have perfectly encapsulated the show . 

As for me, I am fascinated by how someone with almost no talent has become so successful with so little effort.

There is  radio station I listen to where I have the same fascination. Two women who can barely string words together in a coherent manner and one is probably dyslexic so she can't read the notes provided by her producer. They are sent on expensive trips and foul it up so completely but instead of being reprimanded or replaced they are rewarded.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, tdanaher said:

1991-Silje_Studio_11%C3%A5r_cropped.jpg

IMG_0264.PNG

Oh, GREAT comparison! I simply adore the way so many of you in this forum find photos that refute everything Twit says. Good job, @tdanaher.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, VIOLETDL said:

Well from what I read on Wikipedia, there was some video of her dancing, advanced by some radio morning show, which went viral.  See here.

Then she decided she wanted to lose weight.  A reality show sprung up around that, because reality shows are really cheap to produce and TLC has to air SOMETHING.  The weight loss thing was abandoned after the first season I think, and now it's just your standard issue reality show about a random nobody and her other random nobody friends.

This is what I can surmise only from research on this board and on Wikipedia.  Also promos for the show.  I haven't watched any episodes either.

• Love 3

Also, and I say this as someone with no dance training or experience whatsoever, the girl doing the real arabesque is perfectly balanced, and Whitney is clearly just falling over because she cannot put her full weight on her foot for even one second.

• Love 7

Wow. That video really shows how bad it’s gotten. She looked practically thin and agile in comparison to today. I wouldn’t be surprised if she can’t even get her hands over her head like that (like a safety call in football). And she’s wearing real shoes. How long has it been since she’s done that? 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I was hoping someone would put up a comparison picture. I don't know beans about ballet, but from the pictures it seems neither does Whit.

I can only think that she confuses the word "arabesque" with the phrase "on tippy toes for a second."

• Love 7

TLC proudly presents the inspirational story : Whitney Way Thore’s Road To Arabesque

1.  NAILS IT in practice!

1AB5C83E-EB55-401C-A666-5452404A8D5F.thumb.jpeg.a99ad7108c3ce80656c966bc2f8e5dec.jpeg

2.  Immediately hurts herself

0D21D7B1-170C-4C93-B020-79C3C8682085.thumb.jpeg.a587c7ec1dbc34db89e73bd5786a28c7.jpeg

3. Grace personified 

29C89096-DC28-46A0-B931-02722F4C2901.thumb.jpeg.e77e0db22e6fecde1a9cd8829472f153.jpeg

4. WOWS the audience

B3B3805D-FF0C-47B9-8B63-109DFE68818B.thumb.jpeg.c7a9320446a3d8f06c84ba27ab22db95.jpeg

5. Gets an award

16951B56-8667-4D70-AE7B-9E0052D9B237.thumb.jpeg.5cd4dfc1ba3fbd7cfa4984274e2645d1.jpeg

An inspirational story that will be passed down through the generations.  Fail miserably, win an award.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 23

There was an old episode on recently, and her being invited to the Museum of Dance, or some such.  What was that about.
(I couldn't record it because of a conflict with repeats from Body Bizarre and a show on my favorite serial killer. Sorry, Whit.)

10 minutes ago, auntjess said:

There was an old episode on recently, and her being invited to the Museum of Dance, or some such.  What was that about.
(I couldn't record it because of a conflict with repeats from Body Bizarre and a show on my favorite serial killer. Sorry, Whit.)

That "arabesque" is from her performance at the Museum of Dance. She claimed she was invited to perform there and receive some sort of award for being...fat, I guess. She hired this choreographer who was like "can you do a somersault? An arabesque?" and most of the episode was Whitney trying and failing to do these things in a spectacular and hilarious fashion as Todd looked on in horror. 

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

and most of the episode was Whitney trying and failing to do these things in a spectacular and hilarious fashion as Todd looked on in horror. 

And extreme close-ups of the "audience" that made clear that other than Whitney, the barnacles, any the film crew, no one else was there!

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Dot said:

Anyone else notice that Twit's falling out of her sports bra in #2 of @Irate Panda's outstanding Road to Arabesque photos?

I did just realize the big fat contradiction that Whit is shown up there dancing in her bare feet, when she ended up complaining this season how Todd had dancers work in bare feet, which caused Whit to say in her TH, "For bigger people, we need foot support, and I personally think that it could be dangerous for them to be dancing barefoot."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

That "arabesque" is from her performance at the Museum of Dance. She claimed she was invited to perform there and receive some sort of award for being...fat, I guess.

So what you're saying is that the museum doesn't rake in big bucks, and TLC was the best offer available, and they really needed the money.

• Love 5

Why would a choreographer, presumably someone who knows something about dance compositions, ask someone morbidly obese if they can do an arabesque.  The ballerina is devine, because she has both the talent and an appropriate body composition to do an arabesque, but she'd never be able to carry off belly dancing very well.  No one Whitney's dimensions can look anything other than awkward or pathetic attempting an arabesque.

• Love 4

I did just realize the big fat contradiction that Whit is shown up there dancing in her bare feet, when she ended up complaining this season how Todd had dancers work in bare feet, which caused Whit to say in her TH, "For bigger people, we need foot support, and I personally think that it could be dangerous for them to be dancing barefoot."

Thanks to late night re-runs of earlier seasons I have been watching some of them while exercising. I'm pretty sure she is barefoot in one of her early BGDClasses, as are most of the other participants.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Dot said:

Anyone else notice that Twit's falling out of her sports bra in #2 of @Irate Panda's outstanding Road to Arabesque photos?

I think it’s just her hand is blurry in front of her chest unless I’m looking at the wrong place.  God knows I wouldn’t inflect Whitney’s exhibitionism on us.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I think it’s just her hand is blurry in front of her chest unless I’m looking at the wrong place.  God knows I wouldn’t inflect Whitney’s exhibitionism on us.

Yeah, you're probably right. I stand corrected.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:36 AM, Thrifty said:

standard issue reality show about a random nobody and her other random nobody friends.

You know, I've watched a fair amount of reality TV and I'm wondering how producers make their decisions on what kinds of people to follow. There are so many reality shows about interesting people--(real) dancers, singers, racecar drivers and people who restore old cars, chefs, bakers, wedding dress sellers, designers, drag queens, etc. Then there are the low-hanging fruit people who were once interesting, like little people, people with a million kids, people with a million wives, extremely morbidly obese people, people with rich spouses who dress up and yell at each other, who start off as a curiosity or freak show but end up just being boring, everyday people with everyday lives and they still have shows.

I'm part of the skydiving community, and some of the things my friends do is pretty amazing--flying tiny parachutes with wingsuiters, stacking parachutes together, doing aerials at altitude--look up "swooping" and you'll see some pretty interesting videos. Skydiving is interesting to just about everyone and the kind of ridiculous stunts people do is pretty impressive, yet as far as I know there aren't any related reality shows. Same with aviation in general. Same with roller derby or BASE jumping or archers or woodworkers or actually interesting people. Are these things just too technical and people are more interested in seeing drama from someone whose only claim to fame is getting really fat or getting knocked up at age 16? ....actually, don't answer--I don't want to know.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

I'm part of the skydiving community, and some of the things my friends do is pretty amazing--flying tiny parachutes with wingsuiters, stacking parachutes together, doing aerials at altitude--look up "swooping" and you'll see some pretty interesting videos. Skydiving is interesting to just about everyone and the kind of ridiculous stunts people do is pretty impressive, yet as far as I know there aren't any related reality shows. Same with aviation in general. Same with roller derby or BASE jumping or archers or woodworkers or actually interesting people. Are these things just too technical and people are more interested in seeing drama from someone whose only claim to fame is getting really fat or getting knocked up at age 16? ....actually, don't answer--I don't want to know.

I feel like the logistics involved in filming aerial stunts like that would turn off a lot of reality show producers.  Above all, networks make reality shows because they're cheap.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

I feel like the logistics involved in filming aerial stunts like that would turn off a lot of reality show producers.  Above all, networks make reality shows because they're cheap.

That's definitely true...of course, if they bothered to ask they would find that any of us qualified to jump a camera absolutely does so and we sure love getting footage of ourselves...they wouldn't even have to do any of the work!

That said, the sport (and others like it) is very technical and has a fairly high barrier of entry for safety and finance reasons, and I personally would like to keep it that way. I certainly am not advocating for such a show--I don't want my sport to end up on the likes of TLC (of course, we're all so vulgar they'd have trouble getting any footage of us on the ground that they wouldn't have to censor the crap out of).

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

You know, I've watched a fair amount of reality TV and I'm wondering how producers make their decisions on what kinds of people to follow. There are so many reality shows about interesting people--(real) dancers, singers, racecar drivers and people who restore old cars, chefs, bakers, wedding dress sellers, designers, drag queens, etc. Then there are the low-hanging fruit people who were once interesting, like little people, people with a million kids, people with a million wives, extremely morbidly obese people, people with rich spouses who dress up and yell at each other, who start off as a curiosity or freak show but end up just being boring, everyday people with everyday lives and they still have shows.

I wonder the same thing sometimes. I feel a little annoyed that people who were good students, law abiding, charitable, hard workers, good citizens, etc.  aren't featured and paid the big bucks to have their lives portrayed on reality tv. I mean, how is that fair?  Then, I consider that maybe, there is a trade off.  Maybe, having people know all your personal information could be dangerous and embarrassing.  Plus, you get the snark from everyone who doesn't like you.  So, I suppose, you might get the money, but, you also get a boat load of worries too.  Still.......I think I'd take the money if given the chance!  I mean.....I could tough it out for 2 seasons.  Then, I could laugh all the way to the bank.  lol (I'm not inferring that the cast on this show is not good, hardworking, etc. I actually like most of them.)  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
11 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder the same thing sometimes. I feel a little annoyed that people who were good students, law abiding, charitable, hard workers, good citizens, etc.  aren't featured and paid the big bucks to have their lives portrayed on reality tv. I mean, how is that fair? 

Those people are usually kinda boring, and nobody would want to watch their shows. 

• Love 2
On 2/5/2018 at 11:19 AM, Ketzel said:

Whitney explains how difficult a 5K is when you are carrying an extra 200 pounds. But she's mostly pissed about it and resentful her father seems to be enjoying himself, while her feet are really really hurting.

Here's a scene of Whitney and Buddy discussing their "relationship" while sharing a few pizzas.  Spoiler alert to counter the clickbait headline- No, they did not get engaged. :-) Buddy, in fact, appears fairly horrified at the very idea.

Both of these are from early seasons of the show.

shes shot out aftera quarter of a mile?...oooooohh wowwwww.  what a pity she cant seem to be normal in any way. very pretty face. Absloute loser terrible personality. what a train wreck. sheesh. where is rock bottom?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Ocean Chick said:

The thing is that everyone loves a good train wreck. A lot of people watch in order to see karma kick someone’s behind. Just like I watch this show hoping to see Twit reach rock bottom and see how she deals with that. 

This is really what it comes down to. If people wanted to watch people doing cool or interesting things, they'd watch documentaries or scripted shows. This is visual candy and I admit I enjoy it despite hate-watching.

• Love 1