Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, stoppro said:

That's the one! Looks like  a concrete truck flipping over.

Tee hee! It reminds me of the first time (20+ years ago) I tried to do crunches on a Swiss ball. I did the crunches just fine, but when I tried to roll back up to a sitting position on the ball, I went ass over tea kettle 😄

• LOL 8

I usually don't mind Whitney, but I get why people don't like her. I also understand that the dislike colors the conclusions people draw about her. Sometimes that dislike makes people miss information that contradicts those conclusions.

We saw Todd help Whitney with her shoes once, yes. She also needed help getting the ski boots on, which might have been true of a slender beginner, too, I don't know. But there have also been two scenes of her putting on her own shoes, once after a dance sequence and once in the hotel room she and Nada shared. Both times she swung her leg up the way many of us do and put on the shoe.

Not only do people ignore scenes that contradict their beliefs, they also ignore posts in this forum. People often say Whitney must smell bad. Several seasons ago a poster here wrote that she met Whitney and hugged her. She made it a point to say Whitney smelled fine. There's also the time Whitney was trying on wedding dresses and sat in the store in her underwear. Most posters missed the post that said that wasn't uncommon and explained why.

I don't think people are intentionally being ableist or fat phobic when they believe Whitney needs a caretaker but I dunno, maybe there's need of a little more critical thinking? Regardless of how real you believe some of Whitney's exploits are, she's out and doing things that people who need caretakers aren't able to do. Part of my work for many years involved people who needed home care and no way would Whitney have qualified for even the lowest level of care. So, to me, saying Whitney needs a caretaker just doesn't make sense.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

In regards to a caretaker, I think most things that require Whitney to reach around or over her stomach are problematic for her.  At 5’2” I really do think she struggled with tying her shoes, applying her chub rub, etc. and needed help. I don’t think she has the arm reach depending on the size of her stomach at the given time.  I wouldn't equate her to the 600lbs people because although 375-425lbs (I’m not sure exactly what she weighs at this point) is large, it is not the same at 600 lbs.

The bigger issue with Whitney imo needing a “caretaker/helper” is her depression and in some cases entitlement/laziness.  Her room at her parents was filthy. Wine bottles, glasses, dishes, stale food were everywhere.  Trash and half eaten food all over her car.  Her older father had to clean these things up.  Personally, I think that is how she kept things and was not for the show.  Buddy waiting on her making sandwiches in the middle of the night, house smelling like a big litter box per Todd, not showering and peeing in hot tubs per herself, all point to mental health issues, so in some ways, I do think she needs someone there at least part-time.

I believe she said she hired a cleaning person, which is good. I think a clean environment is good for her mentally.   I actually think her “caretakers”: Buddy, Tal, maybe Donna helped take care of her moods.  Her physical needs from these people I believe come from the fact that she’s lonely.  She’s seems to crave physical and emotional attention.  So for me, I don’t particularly things she needs someone to help her off a bedpan or get her into a car or something like that, but I do think her money and the show now allows her to create these emotional surrogates to get her through life. In some instances mostly with Buddy I think she expected physical attention as well.

I think some things are for the show…like Babs walking in on her and Donna.  I think her dirty car/bedroom and often manipulation of Buddy were quite real.

Caretakers come in many versions, I suppose, but imo Whitney seems emotionally stunted in a lot of ways.  Do I think she stinks all of the time, no.  Do I think she doesn’t shower for long periods of times and might sometimes smell, yes.  This is because I think she struggles with depression not because she’s fat. Although her weight may add to the depression, I think it’s just a symptom of something deeper.  Do I think she would qualify for a caretaker through her medical insurance? No.  Do I think she uses the show and people’s personal circumstances to make them de facto caretakers?  Yes.  Anywho, that’s my ramblings about the saga of Whitney Way Thore.

On a side note, in the world of reality stars, I actually don’t find Whitney that bad. I think she is fairly responsible with her money and seems to live within her means.  She’s not a criminal as far as I know and has not been selfish enough to bring a child into her dysfunction despite the baby agenda the show pushes. I still doubt I could be her friend because she seems like an emotional vampire.

* I am not a psychologist, but sometimes play one when writing rambling posts about reality show characters I don’t know in real life.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Passing Strange you bring up some good points.  Do you think she had the "wiping stick" that wouldn't function as a Chub-Rub cream applicator was supplied by the production company, or, was it something Whitney already owned?

I concur that she needs an emotional caregiver at the very least. She seems isolated and depressed. She stopped maturing at pre-adolescence. Take a look at the clip that was posted by this forum's moderator where Whitney says "bed" wrinkles up her nose and raises her shoulders. That is body language often seen in toddlers who think they have done something cute. I have never seen that behavior in a mature adult.

• Love 5

I think Hunter gave us some important information about the family dynamic. When he talked about how their parents were busy with Whitney because of her depression and weight I immediately thought about Jazz Jennings of I am Jazz. Parents of a depressed child can really be over a barrel, through no fault of their own or of the child's. Here I've been thinking that Glen spoiled his little princess just because she was daddy's girl. Now I'm thinking maybe both Glen and Babs catered to Whitney because of her illness. If she came first, possibly for safety reasons, it's no wonder her default is to be self centered. And if manipulation gets you what you want, you don't learn better ways of interacting with others. It's possible that her weight gain could have been an effect of the depression and/or a side effect of meds.

All of the above is just speculation and food for thought. Whitney is a competent adult who is deciding what sides of herself to put out there for the show. And, you know, sometimes I wonder if she's just messing with us. We know Babs could be "playfully" mean. Whitney may have some of that particular sense of humor.

3 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Do you think she had the "wiping stick" that wouldn't function as a Chub-Rub cream applicator was supplied by the production company, or, was it something Whitney already owned?

See, we don't know that she has one. People here wondered if she had trouble cleaning herself and other people suggested she might have the stick device. For all we know she has a bidet. But you make a good point, there are all sorts of adaptive devices that Whitney could be using if she really needs them.

Edited by Passing Strange
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

See, we don't know that she has one.

This may prove  confirmation bias where Whitney is concerned. If i can find old episodes I need to rewatch the episode where I thought I saw her trying to use it to apply Chub-Rub Cream.

I appreciate your well reasoned arguments although I would take issue with you defining her as a competent adult and, as with anything it depends upon one's definitions.  We no longer see the amount of care she actually requires and for that matter we no longer see her attempting to cook or even eating the large amount of unhealthy food we once did.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

I didn't have to track down the episode and rewatch. This People article ps://uk.movies.yahoo.com/whitney-way-thore-gets-help-172834007.html shows her holding it and stating that it doesn't work for applying the Chub-Rub cream. So yes, she does have one it is just up to conjecture if the production company supplied it or not. 

I just watched the Hawai’i episode last week and yes, she waves the stick around saying it won’t work.  No idea if it’s for the show or her real life but she did say she can’t reach her “under carriage” (not sure exactly what she means there) to rub it in.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2022 at 6:37 AM, Me from ME said:

I appreciate your well reasoned arguments although I would take issue with you defining her as a competent adult and, as with anything it depends upon one's definitions. 

True. I was talking about the capacity to make decisions and I think you're talking about maturity.

Thanks, Me from ME and Irate Panda, for the info about the stick. I'd totally forgotten. I have no idea what it is, but it's not the type of device that's used for bathroom wiping; those are angled. Also, I'm not sure why Whitney would need something that helps when "she typically lotions up the insides of her thighs." She's sitting there with one hand on the inside of her thigh.

6 hours ago, Midwestern Lady said:

I liked this show more when Whitney and Todd danced together.  They were fun together on the dance floor.   Do either still do the Big Girl Dance Classes? 

I think the classes were fake.  I don’t think they had classes outside of the ones they filmed on the show for a storyline.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I think the classes were fake.  I don’t think they had classes outside of the ones they filmed on the show for a storyline.

Exactly from what I read at the time and also everything that was posted here by our super sleuths there was never an actual “Big Girl Dance Class” it was all made up and manufactured for the show.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly from what I read at the time and also everything that was posted here by our super sleuths there was never an actual “Big Girl Dance Class” it was all made up and manufactured for the show.

Well that's sad.  It always looked like fun to me. 

• Love 1
On 9/7/2022 at 11:26 PM, Joan of Argh said:

And this is why I don't think Whitney is as smart as she thinks she is.  With some work, she could have made BGDC into a business that would have generated profits for her to live off of.  There are plenty of people who would love a class where you didn't have to be a size 0 to get moving and have fun.  Todd would have been great as an ambassador going around to gyms to set up the classes.  Whit could make a few appearances and just sit back and watch the money roll in.  

• Like 2
  • Love 5
On 9/12/2022 at 9:24 AM, Meow Mix said:

And this is why I don't think Whitney is as smart as she thinks she is.  With some work, she could have made BGDC into a business that would have generated profits for her to live off of.  There are plenty of people who would love a class where you didn't have to be a size 0 to get moving and have fun.  Todd would have been great as an ambassador going around to gyms to set up the classes.  Whit could make a few appearances and just sit back and watch the money roll in.  

Yeah, that one was a real lost opportunity. She could have franchised it and been set for a long time. She is just too lazy to put in the work needed.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, that one was a real lost opportunity. She could have franchised it and been set for a long time. She is just too lazy to put in the work needed.

Wasn't that basically what Todd wanted to do and Whitney put the kibbosh on it in favor of No BS Active?

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I’m so jealous! Whitney has this FABULOUS life doing FABULOUS things FABULOUSLY! Is her life boring like mine? No, it’s FABULOUS! What FABULOUS things is Whitney doing?

Irate Panda: She’s pregnant! 
Hater: You mean Ashley.

Irate Panda: She’s getting married!  
Hater: I think you mean Jessica.

Irate Panda: She’s getting her body stronger in therapy!  
Hater: Umm…that was Bab’s

Irate Panda: She’s going on dates!  
Hater: Yeah, that was Heather.

Irate Panda: She got sober! 
Hater: Do you mean Lenny?

Irate Panda: She’s retiring!  
Hater: I believe that was Dadwe.

Irate Panda: She’s getting married! Did I already mention that? 
Hater: Yes, you did, but it’s actually Buddy that’s getting married this time.

Irate Panda: She’s moving to AtlantER for more acting roles!  
Hater: I think you mean Hunter.

Irate Panda: She got engaged!
Hater: Yeah, we’re back to Ashley

Irate Panda: She went to a car wash!  
Hater: She did indeed go to a car wash. 
Irate Panda: FABULOUSLY, I might add!

• LOL 18
  • Love 5

For anyone that read Whitney’s book, does she talk about being possessive over the guy she was engaged to or anyone else she dated pre show  I’m sure she wouldn’t outright say it but does she describe things that come off that way?

Her obsession with Buddy and Lennie is creepy and if she were a man I don’t think TLC would promote it as easily. She actually seemed the least obsessed with her “fiancé” Chase but probably because she knew he already had a girlfriend or it wasn’t real in some way.  She was obsessed with Avi so much she track down fellow scammees on different continents.  She seemed like she thought way too much about Roy and wasn’t he barely in his 20s at the time?

Her possessiveness is weird and I was wondering to if it’s totally real or played up for the cameras.  I think the Buddy stuff was real just because it’s being going on for years and she doesn’t seem that good of an actress.  

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3