Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, auntjess said:

On her videos, wasn't there some complaints, maybe on a FB page, that there were fewer videos per set, at higher cost, than other workout ones.

There is a YouTube video of someone who bought it complaining about it. 

• Love 3
On 4/20/2018 at 10:55 AM, AZChristian said:

Some comments were made in the "mod" thread that probably belong here . . . about Twit's latest IG video of her lifting weights.  To continue that conversation here . . . 

I question whether she is fully concentrating on weight training to her detriment.  Yes, improving muscle strength and core will help her, but she has demonstrated more than once on the show that she needs to add some aerobic time in order to improve her stamina.  IMO, she should set a goal to walk the same distance as that slow "race" in Hawaii.  Once she achieves the distance without screaming or having to be semi-carried, she should work to do the distance several times a week, improving her time.  Then she ought to go back to Hawaii to do the "race" again . . . with a goal of not coming in dead last after people in their 70s and 80s.  Who knows, some of us "hate-watchers" might even gain a modicum of respect for her if she did, in fact, make her life better (I don't think I could ever use the word "Fabulous" to describe her).

I wonder if she read this. 

• Love 4

In reference to the PCOS questions about Whit's diagnosis in the Heather episode thread - here is what her memoir says:

(Hard to tell exactly when this occurred. It seems as if it was early in her sophomore year in college. But she also says she was 22 when diagnosed. Did she go to college at 21?)

In the stirrups at her OBGYN, when Liz, the Nurse Practioner examining her, stops to review her medical chart and says "I think you have PCOS."

Whitney has never heard of this before. Liz "gave me some pamphlets, scheduled some tests, and sent me on my way."

Reviewing the pamphlets she was quickly "overwhelmed" by the information that PCOS was "a syndrome with no cure, marked by sudden and severe weight gain, difficulty losing weight, infertility, irregular periods, acne, thinning hair and excessive facial and body hair." Everything sounded just like her.

She rushed home to her parents and she and Babs started googling. [Lengthy paragraph of all the things PCOS may mean, like diabetes before the age of forty, higher risk of heart attack, links to endometrial cancer, depression, anxiety, infertility and higher risk pregnancies if conception occurs etc. etc.] Whitney is scared.

[Lengthy paragraph about how medical profession failed her, ignored her symptoms and made her feel responsible for her weight gain.]

She returned to the OBGYN for tests. She was told there was no test designed to definitively diagnose PCOS. Rather, they would rule out other things that might be causing her symptoms, like thyroid issues or brain tumors.  (PCOS, Whitney explains, is a grouping of symptoms and each woman can have a different combination of them. ) Most of the tests came back negative, but after Liz confirmed some of the symptoms in Whitney's case  (lack of periods, high testosterone levels, and insulin resistance) Whitney was "officially diagnosed" with PCOS. 

Glenn and Babs took Whitney to an endocrinologist in Greensboro. [Lengthy paragraphs about how dismissive and unhelpful the doctor was, and how he didn't listen to her. Also long quotes from a US News and World Reports about how hard it is to live with PCOS.] 

She firmly asserts that PCOS made her fat due to the insulin resistance.

She had her first pelvic ultrasound at age 31, and the doctor counted 30 cysts on her ovaries.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

In reference to the PCOS questions about Whit's diagnosis in the Heather episode thread - here is what her memoir says:

(Hard to tell exactly when this occurred. It seems as if it was early in her sophomore year in college. But she also says she was 22 when diagnosed. Did she go to college at 21?)

In the stirrups at her OBGYN, when Liz, the Nurse Practioner examining her, stops to review her medical chart and says "I think you have PCOS."

Whitney has never heard of this before. Liz "gave me some pamphlets, scheduled some tests, and sent me on my way."

Reviewing the pamphlets she was quickly "overwhelmed" by the information that PCOS was "a syndrome with no cure, marked by sudden and severe weight gain, difficulty losing weight, infertility, irregular periods, acne, thinning hair and excessive facial and body hair." Everything sounded just like her.

She rushed home to her parents and she and Babs started googling. [Lengthy paragraph of all the things PCOS may mean, like diabetes before the age of forty, higher risk of heart attack, links to endometrial cancer, depression, anxiety, infertility and higher risk pregnancies if conception occurs etc. etc.] Whitney is scared.

[Lengthy paragraph about how medical profession failed her, ignored her symptoms and made her feel responsible for her weight gain.]

She returned to the OBGYN for tests. She was told there was no test designed to definitively diagnose PCOS. Rather, they would rule out other things that might be causing her symptoms, like thyroid issues or brain tumors.  (PCOS, Whitney explains, is a grouping of symptoms and each woman can have a different combination of them. ) Most of the tests came back negative, but after Liz confirmed some of the symptoms in Whitney's case  (lack of periods, high testosterone levels, and insulin resistance) Whitney was "officially diagnosed" with PCOS. 

Glenn and Babs took Whitney to an endocrinologist in Greensboro. [Lengthy paragraphs about how dismissive and unhelpful the doctor was, and how he didn't listen to her. Also long quotes from a US News and World Reports about how hard it is to live with PCOS.] 

She had her first pelvic ultrasound at age 31, and the doctor counted 30 cysts on her ovaries.

What this really means is ‘Doctor told me my best chance to improve my health is to lose weight but that’s so unhelpful because it means I can’t eat pizza 3 times a day’

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

What this really means is ‘Doctor told me my best chance to improve my health is to lose weight but that’s so unhelpful because it means I can’t eat pizza 3 times a day’

Bingo! 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Thanks for posting this. There actually are blood test for various hormone levels that would help point in the direction of PCOS. It doesn’t sound like Whitney had those gone. 

And if an endocrinologist is not acceptable in terms of demeanor, the answer is to find another doctor. Not just diagnose yourself. 

Whitney also ignores the fact that’s she’s admitted engaging in strenuous dance/gymnastics and practicing bulimia, which can result in abnormal cycles, amenhhorea, hair loss, abnormal hair growth, and rebound weight gain. 

• Love 5

Thanks for coming thru, as usual, @Ketzel.

It would appear that primarily Doctor Whitney is the one who decided on PCOS, not overeating, to explain her weigh gain & retention.

She's more of a fraud than I thought. It's hard to imagine someone having the chutzpah to stand at a podium in front of a group of ppl & lie her ass off.

Edited by Dot
correct spelling error
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Dot said:

Thanks for coming thru, as usual, @Ketzel.

It would appear that primarily Doctor Whitney is the one who decided on PCOS, not overeating, to explain her weigh gain & retention.

She's more of a fraud than I thought. It's hard to imagine someone having the chutzpah to stand at a podium in front of a group of ppl & lie her ass off.

Well if she's been telling this lie for over a decade she probably believes it by now.  Especially since it's a great excuse for her addiction.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, princelina said:

Well if she's been telling this lie for over a decade she probably believes it by now.  Especially since it's a great excuse for her addiction.

Methinks they should just change the name of the show to "My Big Fat Fatuous Lie." 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Ketzel said:

It is SO easy to get diagnosed with an ultrasound (as she finally was). Why would her OBGYN would tell her there's "no definitive test"? An ultrasound IS a definitive test. 

Anyways, BS on her excuses. She does not want to accept the fact that she will need to eat less and work harder than others, so she has found numerous excuses to remain overweight. Many women, myself included, have the condition and we didn't wind up like Whitney.  I'd rather dig in and work harder than wind up like that.

I'm happy to see her more mobile and that the 8k was a bit of a wake-up call for her, but she still plays the "it's-not-my-fault" game. The older she gets, the harder that weight is going to be on her--she is still buried in a cocoon of excuses. 

• Love 5

From what I read recently, PCOS is a complex and there isn't full agreement on what symptoms constitute PCOS.  But she does seem to have a lot of indicators of it so I'm ok she labels herself PCOS, but not at all that she uses it as a crutch.  I would say the insulin resistance came first, though, and that is what she needs to focus on.  PCOS is just a subset of insulin resistance which can hurt her in so many other ways.

• Love 3
On 1/10/2019 at 7:04 PM, Brooks said:

Endometrial cancer is what I have expected in Whitney's not distant future, and that it won't be found until rather large.

If you all are watching Family by the Ton, the first one to get the surgery is a woman with endometrial cancer, who can't have surgery for it, because you'd need to be inverted, and she's too heavy to tolerate that.  (I think it would crush her organs.)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, auntjess said:

If you all are watching Family by the Ton, the first one to get the surgery is a woman with endometrial cancer, who can't have surgery for it, because you'd need to be inverted, and she's too heavy to tolerate that.  (I think it would crush her organs.)

Jeez.  Whitney, are you paying attention?

• Love 1
On 2019-01-11 at 8:54 AM, TurtlePower said:

It is SO easy to get diagnosed with an ultrasound (as she finally was). Why would her OBGYN would tell her there's "no definitive test"? An ultrasound IS a definitive test.

That is not fully true. It is possible to have PCOS and not have polysisitic ovaries. The last time I had an ultrasound, my ovaries were fine, but I still have pcos. I just happened to have it under control. A PCOS diagnosis comes from multiple symptoms. 

From what I just read, it sounds like she had testing done. Which is more than I had for an official doctor diagnosis. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Semanire said:

That is not fully true. It is possible to have PCOS and not have polysisitic ovaries. The last time I had an ultrasound, my ovaries were fine, but I still have pcos. I just happened to have it under control. A PCOS diagnosis comes from multiple symptoms. 

From what I just read, it sounds like she had testing done. Which is more than I had for an official doctor diagnosis. 

That seems odd to me. If I'm not being too intrusive, could you explain how a doc could diagnosis you as having PCOS if you don't have a multiplicity of cysts in your ovaries. The very name would seem to say it all..

3 hours ago, Semanire said:

I stand corrected! Thanks for the info. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I had polycystic ovaries but without the hormonal problems, so no PCOS officially.

I am totally confused about what PCOS is. It seems any woman could claim it -- or not -- depending on whether or not she wants to. For example, I am fat. Morbidly obese, in fact. That's  a PCOS symptom. So, if I say I have PCOS, who's to prove me wrong? (And is that what Twit's been doing these many years?

“Syndromes” generally refer to constellations of signs and symptoms that typically go together. 

A Syndrome is usually, but not always, a “diagnosis of exclusion”, meaning other causes for the signs/symptoms have been ruled out. 

The problem with Whitney is that she’s described behaviors that she engaged in when these symptoms arose that could explain the symptoms separate and apart from PCOS. 

The bottom line, though, is whatever the cause, she’s doing NOTHING to manage and minimize her condition 

• Love 5
On 1/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, Dot said:

I am totally confused about what PCOS is. It seems any woman could claim it -- or not -- depending on whether or not she wants to. For example, I am fat. Morbidly obese, in fact. That's  a PCOS symptom. So, if I say I have PCOS, who's to prove me wrong? (And is that what Twit's been doing these many years?

I would say Whitney could claim PCOS because of her balding, facial hair, claims of irregular periods, sleep apnea and of course some weight gain.  The problem is her saying PCOS makes someone gain 200-250 pounds. 30 pounds ok, heck maybe even 50 but the weight of almost 2 grown women, give me a break.   The women I know who have it are all average size but they actually watch their diet and exercise.  Whitney is not only full of pizza, pasta, and Starbucks, but she’s also full of shit.   She may very well have PCOS but her implying it’s  the only reason she’s 400 pounds, is maddening 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

I would say Whitney could claim PCOS because of her balding, facial hair, claims of irregular periods, sleep apnea and of course some weight gain.  The problem is her saying PCOS makes someone gain 200-250 pounds. 30 pounds ok, heck maybe even 50 but the weight of almost 2 grown women, give me a break.   The women I know who have it are all average size but they actually watch their diet and exercise.  Whitney is not only full of pizza, pasta, and Starbucks, but she’s also full of shit.   She may very well have PCOS but her implying it’s  the only reason she’s 400 pounds, is maddening 

This is so well-said. 😊

• Love 7

Re: frappuccinos (from Old Habits Die Hard thread, I didn't want to keep going too far OT), I just googled the calorie count of heavy cream, which is 36% milk fat, and it is 820 calories per cup. HOLY FUCK. Whole milk, which is 3.5% milk fat, is as high as Starbucks' nutrition info goes, and only has 150 calories a cup. If she is getting grande fraps with heavy cream, they are EASILY 1200 calories apiece. That is so repulsive. And each flavored grande frap has about 70 grams of sugar. No wonder she has diabetes. I cannot believe this fuckin' idiot doesn't just make one small change to get her frappuccinos with whole milk instead of heavy fucking cream. She'd probably lose 10 lb a month without even trying. I'm gonna puke now.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ClareWalks said:

Re: frappuccinos (from Old Habits Die Hard thread, I didn't want to keep going too far OT), I just googled the calorie count of heavy cream, which is 36% milk fat, and it is 820 calories per cup. HOLY FUCK. Whole milk, which is 3.5% milk fat, is as high as Starbucks' nutrition info goes, and only has 150 calories a cup. If she is getting grande fraps with heavy cream, they are EASILY 1200 calories apiece. That is so repulsive. And each flavored grande frap has about 70 grams of sugar. No wonder she has diabetes. I cannot believe this fuckin' idiot doesn't just make one small change to get her frappuccinos with whole milk instead of heavy fucking cream. She'd probably lose 10 lb a month without even trying. I'm gonna puke now.

Has she specifically said she uses heavy cream instead of at least whole milk? I don’t doubt for a second that is correct, I just can’t believe some of the things she’s willing to admit to. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Has she specifically said she uses heavy cream instead of at least whole milk? I don’t doubt for a second that is correct, I just can’t believe some of the things she’s willing to admit to. 

@Dot said she'd seen it on some social media platform, I didn't personally see it but I agree that it is crazy that she gives us so much ammunition to call out her awful eating habits. Considering she has thrown fits about being filmed eating her crap in the past, after all! Maybe she is just so dense that she doesn't think her "coffees" are that bad?

• Love 5

So continuing on the calorie situation - I put 375lbs and 5’2 into a calorie counter, although I’m not sure she weights that “little”. To maintain that weight she can consume 3243 calories a day. Even if she just has two of those drinks that’s about 2000 calories a day in coffee drinks. If we are more conservative and she has the 500- 600 calorie drinks she’s still at 1000-1500 calories since she said she has a few a day which is more than 2. That only leaves her 1000-1200 calories a day just to maintain her 375 weight. We know she consumes more food than that. She can not out exercise this kind of diet. And if we want to consider PCOS at all, she needs less calories to lose or maintian weight than a “normal” woman.

So I wonder how she supposedly lost 60 lbs. That is an actually claim she’s made even though losing weight is bad. But it seems mathematically impossible. 

• Love 4

You're right, @3girlsforus. Twit didn't say "heavy cream," she said EXTRA heavy cream. When this subject first came up in the forum, we calculated 1/2 cup of heavy cream was something like 400 calories.

Two caveats from my first post:

(1) I don't go to coffee shops, so I thought a grande was the largest size. If it's a venti, then that's probably what she drinks.

(2) She made the statement I referred to about 2 yrs ago. Now that Jessica has her on a healthy lifestyle trip, she may well have cut back.

In the previous thread, @ClareWalks wrote: "She is definitely getting whipped cream on top, and the thing is made with heavy cream and all kinds of sugar syrups. It sounds DISGUSTING to me. I cannot imagine the crash you'd get after that."

I think that's why she drinks -- or, perhaps, used to drink -- 3 or 4 a day. To avoid the crash.

• Love 4

I couldn't find it so it might have been on her profile which goes away, but I know she's posted photos of herself with giant coffee drinks in the last 6 months. Maybe she did cut back but even if she "only" has one a day that's still a huge number of calories. Personally I doubt a cutback. If she really was depriving herself of things she likes to eat and drink she would be screaming "look at me" from the roof tops. She doesn't do anything, especially anything difficult, without begging for praise. 

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I couldn't find it so it might have been on her profile which goes away, but I know she's posted photos of herself with giant coffee drinks in the last 6 months. Maybe she did cut back but even if she "only" has one a day that's still a huge number of calories. Personally I doubt a cutback. If she really was depriving herself of things she likes to eat and drink she would be screaming "look at me" from the roof tops. She doesn't do anything, especially anything difficult, without begging for praise. 

The times I remember seeing her (on the show) at Starbucks, she was definitely drinking a venti, not a grande. It essentially looked like a giant milkshake with whipped cream.  See below. Def a venti. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Colleenna
Add photo
  • Love 5

This is baffling to me. I take my coffee as black as my cold, dead heart so maybe I don’t get it, but I have only ever used heavy cream for baking. For very rare treats I get Vietnamese coffee, which uses condensed milk and is a gift from the heavens, but it’s too sweet and heavy to drink more than once in a while. Are people putting HEAVY CREAM in their coffee, or is this just a Whitney thing like eating a half gallon of ice cream in your car?

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

This is baffling to me. I take my coffee as black as my cold, dead heart so maybe I don’t get it, but I have only ever used heavy cream for baking. For very rare treats I get Vietnamese coffee, which uses condensed milk and is a gift from the heavens, but it’s too sweet and heavy to drink more than once in a while. Are people putting HEAVY CREAM in their coffee, or is this just a Whitney thing like eating a half gallon of ice cream in your car?

I have personally never even HEARD OF anyone ordering a drink at Starbucks with heavy cream, and I am not an infrequent visitor at Starbucks.

• Love 2

It makes me wonder if, when Whitney said she ordered her Starbucks with "extra heavy cream," (and I definitely do remember her saying that on one of her FB live streams) she meant that she ordered an extra heavy portion of regular cream, not an extra portion of heavy cream. I think her description was ambiguous, but whichever one she meant, it's a whole lot of calories. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

It makes me wonder if, when Whitney said she ordered her Starbucks with "extra heavy cream," (and I definitely do remember her saying that on one of her FB live streams) she meant that she ordered an extra heavy portion of regular cream, not an extra portion of heavy cream. I think her description was ambiguous, but whichever one she meant, it's a whole lot of calories. 

I wonder if she means extra whipped cream (since it’s made with heavy cream). But like you said, whatever she meant, she wanted tons more fat and calories in a cup.

• Love 4

Regarding her using the same spoon to sample hummous as to transfer it to the serving bowl, I would wager that Babs has pointed out to her that it wasn't "proper manners" and therefore Twit , who I think has a personality disorder took great glee in doing it and sees no reason to change.

Babs: "Oh, Whitney"

Twit: "Mom, were all family, we kiss on the lips there's nothing wrong with it."

Babs: Silently shakes her head.

I love my morning cup of coffee. Black. When I travel or camp I always have a way of brewing a cup.

I also love milkshakes (especially Pineapple Blizzards from DQ) so I would think that the coffee drinks with added sweet syrup would pale in comparison to the real thing which I have once or twice a year. It fills me up, I feel uncomfortably full, experience the sugar rush and the crash afterwards and think, "why did I do that"? As a matter of fact so many common American foods are made to taste like dessert. Coffee drinks, yogurt with fruit and other things like granola, and cereal come to mind. Consider all the foods that have sugar in them that have conditioned our palate to crave more. (End of rant.)

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I wonder if she means extra whipped cream (since it’s made with heavy cream). But like you said, whatever she meant, she wanted tons more fat and calories in a cup.

No, bc she said extra heavy cream AND whipped cream. Both.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Pachengala said:

On the very very rare occasion that I have Turkish coffee, I add a little half and half. But then, my normal morning coffee is as black as my heart and as strong as my will....

• Love 2

Beyond all the calories, that is a hell of a lot of dairy each day. Dairy is inflammatory for many people, but it’s especially bad for people who struggle with hormonal issues like PCOS. She honestly shouldn’t be having any dairy, let alone the gallons she consumes in heavy cream and whipped cream or whatever. 

Twit, you are not a baby cow! (Insert requisite joke about how baby cows are much smaller, cuter, and better behaved than Twit)

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Regarding her using the same spoon to sample hummous as to transfer it to the serving bowl, I would wager that Babs has pointed out to her that it wasn't "proper manners" and therefore Twit , who I think has a personality disorder took great glee in doing it and sees no reason to change.

Babs: "Oh, Whitney"

Twit: "Mom, were all family, we kiss on the lips there's nothing wrong with it."

Babs: Silently shakes her head.

I love my morning cup of coffee. Black. When I travel or camp I always have a way of brewing a cup.

As a matter of fact so many common American foods are made to taste like dessert. Coffee drinks, yogurt with fruit and other things like granola, and cereal come to mind. Consider all the foods that have sugar in them that have conditioned our palate to crave more. (End of rant.)

* Same here. I bring my coffee press everywhere. 

* This is maddening to me. It's everywhere and I hate it (I grew up in a sugar free household), it's harder and harder to find things without added sugar--they're even adding it to FISH!! I got some seasoned fish to bake and when I tasted it, the assholes added SWEET seasonings to it. Another example, I got some quinoa and the seasonings were sweet. And don't even get me started on protein powders, I don't even like stevia added because the taste of sweet makes me want to gag. 

Anyways, I've learned never to get anything that's pre-seasoned because it always has added sweetness. Just, awful. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

* Same here. I bring my coffee press everywhere.

* This is maddening to me. It's everywhere and I hate it (I grew up ina sugar free household), it's harder and harder to find things without added sugar--they're even adding it to FISH!!I got some seasoned fish to bake and when I tasted it, the assholes added SWEET seasonings to it. Another example, I got some quinoaand the seasonings were sweet. And don't even get me started on protein powders, I don't even like stevia added because the taste of sweet makes me want to gag.

Anyways, I've learned never to get anything that's pre-seasoned because it always has added sweetness. Just, awful.

Ugh. I don't mind sugar that much (in moderation), but it's in weird stuff. Like, 25 years ago, I had some canned chicken soup (Campbell's chunky?) and it has sugar in it. To this day, I shudder in revulsion when I see a commercial for that soup, because I remember the taste. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I feel the same way about salt. Now that I don't use salt, I am amazed how much better food tastes without it. 

• Love 2