Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Dot said:

In terms of embarassment, I wonder how the museum feels, 5 years later, about being gulled into lettingTwit "dance" under its auspices & giving her an award to boot?

I don't think the museum was ever involved in this. I think this was the first time we saw Whitney/her producers do their scuzzy little act where they obtain space through an organization, make up an event or an award or a show, and then pretend it was sponsored by the organization that rented space to her.

• Love 11

My DVR recorded the very first episode today.  I guess they're rerunning old episodes to get us ready for the new season.  I had never seen the first episode before.  I can't get over how different Buddy looked! He's a good 40 pounds lighter, has no beard and looks like a different person.  Apparently the aim of this show in the beginning was supposed to be Twit's journey into weight loss and better health, (even though she didn't think twice about scarfing down that pizza Buddy brought over).  We all know how that turned out, but it was interesting to see how it all began. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

My DVR recorded the very first episode today.  I guess they're rerunning old episodes to get us ready for the new season.  I had never seen the first episode before.  I can't get over how different Buddy looked! He's a good 40 pounds lighter, has no beard and looks like a different person.  Apparently the aim of this show in the beginning was supposed to be Twit's journey into weight loss and better health, (even though she didn't think twice about scarfing down that pizza Buddy brought over).  We all know how that turned out, but it was interesting to see how it all began. 

I think most of us liked the first-season version of Whitney. I still cannot tell if her intentions were to truly lose some weight to gain better overall health/mobility or if it was all an act; she has lost 100 lb before (and gained it back), so she has shown she is capable.

We've also seen the side of Whitney who thinks she can do something with extremely unrealistic expectations--"I'm doing this new thing and I want to be the best at it!" Then, she does said "competition" and typically fails, only to be made a fool of on TV. 

My own take is that Whitney hides behind NBS because she can't accept that trying to maintain a healthier weight will be a lifelong, difficult challenge for her. I don't believe she is actually happy where she is but she goes on pretending she is content. As much as I dislike who she's become, sometimes I actually feel sorry for her. 

• Love 10

Here's my take on it. She never was popular and had few friends...until she became a celebrity. Now she feels better about herself and has started losing weight/firming up as a result. The No BS cruise is a tremendous ego booster for her. I agree with TurtlePower that she can't admit to trying to lose weight because if she fails she will be seen in a negative way by her ardent admirers. Just better to continue promoting herself to keep her fan base.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Here's my take on it. She never was popular and had few friends...until she became a celebrity. Now she feels better about herself and has started losing weight/firming up as a result. The No BS cruise is a tremendous ego booster for her. I agree with TurtlePower that she can't admit to trying to lose weight because if she fails she will be seen in a negative way by her ardent admirers. Just better to continue promoting herself to keep her fan base.

Yeah. It admittedly must be difficult for food addicts to control their intake--with most other addictions, you remove the substance. People need food to survive. It's like asking an alcoholic to consume "x" drinks a day and keep it to that.

She uses "triggers" from her prior eating disorder as a way to avoid it--and having been severely anorexic I get it--but I'd rather risk the "diet trigger" than remain at 350 lb. I feel she's just using that as an excuse to avoid dietary control. I don't want to speculate that she wasn't "miserable" when she was thin (as she claims), but I suspect it was more like "why can others eat pizza and I can't" kind of thing. She had to restrict her diet when others didn't. Metabolisms aren't fair. Mine has slowed (I also have PCOS) and because I like to be fit, I can't eat fast-food every day like my bean-pole coworker with the warp-speed metabolism. Whole food plant based for me and no beverages with calories (only water/sparkling water/black coffee). The longer Whitney waits, the harder it will be for her. 

On a different note, I wonder what the next season is going to throw at us. More fake stories, more fake competitions or something entirely different?

• Love 7

I wish there were a show with an actual better version of first season Whitney.  Talking about loving yourself but realizing loving yourself sometimes means realizing you need to make changes.  Not letting your fears about other people judging prevent you from doing something.  Basically I think Whitney's message at her best is that no matter what size you are that you are a human worthy of respect and that you shouldn't let your size let you stop trying something and to do what you love.  Maybe you'll never be perfect at it but who cares do your best.  This is a message I really could have used as a teenager and I think it's overall a good message.

This is what the show could have been.  Instead it's clear her attempts at "trying" anything aren't really trying but more like proclaiming victory after one heavily assisted touchdown.  She has zero insight into her own behavior and worse zero empathy for anyone else as everything is about her.  I'm not even convinced she really likes dance.

I think the show is the worst thing that could have happened to her.  Now she is trapped where losing weight feels like she is "losing" and giving into pressure to lose weight.  She isn't able to articulate and accept that you can love yourself and work to improve yourself and so she is trapped in either "I'm totally fine the way I am I love myself" or losing weight and selling out, at least as she sees it.  I don't think her relationship with her parents is helpful in this regard mainly because they clearly disapprove of her weight (and I don't believe for one second that they haven't made some pretty hurtful comments to her).  Losing weight to her would mean this kind of shaming wins so instead she creates a false narrative of self-acceptance exactly as she is.

Really the best thing for her would be to get away from her crew of enablers and be on her own away from the cameras.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Yeah. It admittedly must be difficult for food addicts to control their intake--with most other addictions, you remove the substance. People need food to survive. It's like asking an alcoholic to consume "x" drinks a day and keep it to that.

She uses "triggers" from her prior eating disorder as a way to avoid it--and having been severely anorexic I get it--but I'd rather risk the "diet trigger" than remain at 350 lb. I feel she's just using that as an excuse to avoid dietary control. I don't want to speculate that she wasn't "miserable" when she was thin (as she claims), but I suspect it was more like "why can others eat pizza and I can't" kind of thing. She had to restrict her diet when others didn't. Metabolisms aren't fair. Mine has slowed (I also have PCOS) and because I like to be fit, I can't eat fast-food every day like my bean-pole coworker with the warp-speed metabolism. Whole food plant based for me and no beverages with calories (only water/sparkling water/black coffee). The longer Whitney waits, the harder it will be for her. 

On a different note, I wonder what the next season is going to throw at us. More fake stories, more fake competitions or something entirely different?

Yep. I can't totally abstain from eating forever, unlike an alcoholic or drug addict. But I can avoid my "food triggers" (fettuccine Alfredo and all-you-can-eat buffets) and my "diet trigger" (so I don't fall back into the quicksand of anorexia.) Being 70 years old and having totally fucked my metabolism through anorexia, I can't eat fast food either. I work out partly so I can burn 2000 calories a day and partly to burn off the crazy. This allows me to eat a balanced ovo-lacto vegetarian diet and helps me chip away at my body fat % . 

IF Whitney makes it to age 40, she'll find that losing weight gets harder with age. 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

IF Whitney makes it to age 40, she'll find that losing weight gets harder with age. 

It sure does, not to mention your body becomes less forgiving as you age.  At her weight, drinking and smoking like she does I find it hard to believe that her blood pressure is normal, and if it is it won't be for much longer.

• Love 3

I was chubby, maybe 20-25lbs overweight, but lost it through modifying my diet.  I was already active and played sports, but once I got to my 30s, I did notice I couldnt eat as much crap.  Although Whitney may be working out more (and even that’s questionable) she can’t out exercise what she’s eating.  I still remember how outraged she was when Glenn was giving her Tupperware bowls to help with portion control. I know she says she doesn’t care about losing weight, but I don’t get these “trainers” who partner up with her.  I guess they get a rub of her “fame”, but when I see her workout with them, it just makes it seem like they don’t know how to train people not already in shape.  I don’t know if it’s them or Whitney or a combo, but either way wouldn’t inspire me to hire them.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I was chubby, maybe 20-25lbs overweight, but lost it through modifying my diet.  I was already active and played sports, but once I got to my 30s, I did notice I couldnt eat as much crap.  Although Whitney may be working out more (and even that’s questionable) she can’t out exercise what she’s eating.  I still remember how outraged she was when Glenn was giving her Tupperware bowls to help with portion control. I know she says she doesn’t care about losing weight, but I don’t get these “trainers” who partner up with her.  I guess they get a rub of her “fame”, but when I see her workout with them, it just makes it seem like they don’t know how to train people not already in shape.  I don’t know if it’s them or Whitney or a combo, but either way wouldn’t inspire me to hire them.  

Part of her problem is those damned milkshakes from Starbucks. Each one of them has about 500 calories, and she has at least two a day. That's 1,000 wasted, empty calories. 

As for her "trainers," my opinion of them has previously been made clear here. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Part of her problem is those damned milkshakes from Starbucks. Each one of them has about 500 calories, and she has at least two a day. That's 1,000 wasted, empty calories. 

Twit orders hers with extra heavy cream, so each is actually closer to 1000 calories than 500.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Actually, all that exercise may ultimately be working against her.  As I got older exercise stopped compensating completely for what I was eating, not that I was eating that much, but that was my particular cross to bear.  Plus the more a person exercises, the hungrier it can make them, so you can tend to eat more and cancel out any weight loss benefits of the exercise.  It's counter-intuitive, but scaling back a little on the exercise might actually help her.

13 hours ago, minamreeka said:

II think the show is the worst thing that could have happened to her.  Now she is trapped where losing weight feels like she is "losing" and giving into pressure to lose weight.  She isn't able to articulate and accept that you can love yourself and work to improve yourself and so she is trapped in either "I'm totally fine the way I am I love myself" or losing weight and selling out, at least as she sees it.  I don't think her relationship with her parents is helpful in this regard mainly because they clearly disapprove of her weight (and I don't believe for one second that they haven't made some pretty hurtful comments to her).  Losing weight to her would mean this kind of shaming wins so instead she creates a false narrative of self-acceptance exactly as she is.

Really the best thing for her would be to get away from her crew of enablers and be on her own away from the cameras.

I've said something very similar before, including the part about her thinking she'd be selling herself out if she gave into the pressure to lose weight.  I think she is so affected by other people's opinions that she reacts stubbornly to public pressure for her to lose weight.  Like she takes it as a criticism and digs in her heels with the stance that she's "just fine the way she is".  But that kind of ego and pride works against her.  She needs to get over herself and realize that people aren't just being judgy and critical but actually have her best interests at heart.

• Love 1

Scaling back on exercise isn't counterintuitive at all.  As you said, it tends to work up an appetite, and since she has no self control she can't handle it.  And working out indoors under blue light isn't helping her at all either.  She needs to see the morning sun and then frequently during the day.  Our metabolism is driven by our hormones, especially leptin, but she's in severe leptin intolerance thanks to her hedonistic lifestyle.  If she were actually healthy (leptin sensitive, etc.), she could eat a great deal and it wouldn't be a weight issue for her.  She would also feel much better.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Scaling back on exercise isn't counterintuitive at all.  As you said, it tends to work up an appetite, and since she has no self control she can't handle it.  And working out indoors under blue light isn't helping her at all either.  She needs to see the morning sun and then frequently during the day.  Our metabolism is driven by our hormones, especially leptin, but she's in severe leptin intolerance thanks to her hedonistic lifestyle.  If she were actually healthy (leptin sensitive, etc.), she could eat a great deal and it wouldn't be a weight issue for her.  She would also feel much better.

I think it would make a big difference if she made better food choices.   She needs to cook her own food and stop eating junk all the time. I'm not saying I'm perfect, far from it, but I do try and have self control and make smarter choices.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Brooks said:

Our metabolism is driven by our hormones, especially leptin, but she's in severe leptin intolerance thanks to her hedonistic lifestyle.  If she were actually healthy (leptin sensitive, etc.), she could eat a great deal and it wouldn't be a weight issue for her. 

Hormones play a role but Whitney is overeating and that is the cause of her weight gain/size. It is simply untrue that healthy people can eat "a great deal" and not worry about their weight. Anyone who eats as much as Whitney will become huge, healthy or not.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

12 hours ago, Colleenna said:

"Empty calories": We've gone round and round about this, but we keep coming back to it because it's a fact--the most basic step for weight loss. Even the fittest athletes I know have a hard time dropping those last few lb for competitions/races--the body loves to hang on to whatever it can. Knowing this truth will either empower people to accept it and work with it, or sigh in defeat because it's too much/too hard/takes too long.

Whitney knows what it takes and she doesn't like it, she can't get past the whole "it's not fair" thing. I strongly suspect that, following the many workouts she likes to post, much time is spent nursing aching feet and painful joints, followed by a trip to Starbucks for those calorie-laden drinks that undo her workouts by double at least. I also suspect deep down she knows she's just a mediocre dancer; a wannabe who half-assed it even when she was thin (because she wanted the skills to just come to her versus hours of daily practice). Her overall denial is profound. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Hormones play a role but Whitney is overeating and that is the cause of her weight gain/size. It is simply untrue that healthy people can eat "a great deal" and not worry about their weight. Anyone who eats as much as Whitney will become huge, healthy or not.

Well, you can eat a great deal by volume without a ton of calories. Two cups of cooked green beans + two cups of cooked yellow squash = 100 calories

1 cup of cooked spaghetti, no sauce = 225 calories

4 times as much by volume, fewer than half the calories. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Well, you can eat a great deal by volume without a ton of calories. Two cups of cooked green beans + two cups of cooked yellow squash = 100 calories

1 cup of cooked spaghetti, no sauce = 225 calories

4 times as much by volume, fewer than half the calories. 

That is so true. Eating gobs of low-cal food -- usually vegies -- is a big help in feeling full. That has always been one of my weight-control problems -- the need to feel full.

But Twit's self- & oft-proclaimed problem is that she does not eat enough or often enough! So eating lots of good, low-cal foods would not be a solution for her. But relief is at hand, according to her recent live-stream, in that she is sleeping well AND eating more. Let's just hope it's more green beans & not more pasta. Or pasta salad which she believes is a health food. Ref: James King of M600#L: It's OK to eat FRIED rice since Dr Now's no-no list only includes plain rice.

Way off topic here, but does anyone know what's happened to James K.? Specifically, is he still alive since he weighed something like 800 #s when Dr Now kicked him out?

Edited by Dot
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Dot said:

That is so true. Eating gobs of low-cal food -- usually vegies -- is a big help in feeling full. That has always been one of my weight-control problems -- the need to feel full.

But Twit's self- & oft-proclaimed problem is that she does not eat enough or often enough! So eating lots of good, low-cal foods would not be a solution for her. But relief is at hand, according to her recent live-stream, in that she is sleeping well AND eating more. Let's just hope it's more green beans & not more pasta. Or pasta salad which she believes is a health food. Ref: James King of M600#L: It's OK to eat FRIED rice since Dr Now's no-no list only includes plain rice.

Way off topic here, but does anyone know what's happened to James K.? Specifically, is he still alive since he weighed something like 800 #s when Dr Now kicked him out?

As of September 2018 he was still alive. 

• Love 2

This was briefly mentioned on the SM page but I think this is more general than that. Whitney has referred to metcon as her workout approach. Is what she is doing really a style or is she just doing stuff each time? It seems haphazard to me but I’m not an expert. 

Plant foods with a lot of water, even cucumbers, can be fattening if you eat them out of season or out of latitude.  It isn't primarily about calories.  You can lose weight even eating more calories if you do it right.

Edited by Brooks
3 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Plant foods with a lot of water, even cucumbers, can be fattening if you eat them out of season or out of latitude.  It isn't primarily about calories.  You can lose weight even eating more calories if you do it right.

I don't know where you are getting your information but that is not based in nutrition science.

• Love 16

In recent decades nutritional science has ignored biophysics, circadian rhythms, basic mitochondrial function.  I encourage everyone to start listening to Jack Kruse's videos or his website.  It's a life changer.  

I have known for several years that mitochondrial health is key to whole body health, but I was short changing myself only looking at the biochemistry.  

9 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

So mitochondrial health slows the shortening of telomeres?

Proper self care will lengthen telomeres.

Telomeres were briefly mentioned somewhere in something I was just reading by Kruse but I can't find it for you.  

Congratulations on the diet.  It isn't as important as what you consume for water (non-fluoride and as deuterium depleted as possible) or the good and bad light and non-native EMF you expose yourself to.   For instance, anyone reading this should be wearing blue blocker glasses.

1 hour ago, Brooks said:

Congratulations on the diet.  It isn't as important as what you consume for water (non-fluoride and as deuterium depleted as possible) or the good and bad light and non-native EMF you expose yourself to.   For instance, anyone reading this should be wearing blue blocker glasses.

I always wear my blue blocker reading glasses at the computer.

• Love 1

Congratulations on the diet.

Thanks! However it is mostly because I can cook interesting foods, eat clean, and feel real hunger or satiety. The old half a tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread with a piece of fruit never worked for me. Now that I understand the insulin response  it makes sense. However, there is a paradox for me about eating humongous amounts of leafy greens and vegetables. When I eat too much of anything, be it carbs, sweets, or vegetables it seems to set off a switch in my brain so that although I am full I want to eat more.

I am fortunate to have my own well water so no fluoride for me, (even at the dental hygienist).

Now I am going to look further into blue blocker glasses.

20 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Even the fittest athletes I know have a hard time dropping those last few lb for competitions/races--the body loves to hang on to whatever it can.

That's because the margin to create a deficit but still have enough energy to keep up the training is extremely narrow, not because of any magical property of the body "holding on" despite a deficit.There is a lot of quackery peddled online regarding weight, and starvation mode is probably the king of it.  Whitney is in no danger of any of that. She's so large that creating a deficit for her would be easy, even with exercise. But as we've seen, she doesn't even do any real exercise and then she drinks at least a thousand calories in Starbucks milkshakes.

As far as identifying scam artists, it's also pretty easy. In general if you're being told you need to buy some special product, you're probably being scammed. Eat a diet containing sufficient protein and fat with colorful vegetables in an amount appropriate to physical activity. It's that simple.

14 hours ago, Brooks said:

In recent decades nutritional science has ignored biophysics, circadian rhythms, basic mitochondrial function.  I encourage everyone to start listening to Jack Kruse's videos or his website.  It's a life changer.  

I have known for several years that mitochondrial health is key to whole body health, but I was short changing myself only looking at the biochemistry.  

Kruse is a quack. His assertions about EMF are absurd, and there is absolutely no basis for his claims regarding mitochondiral electrons and circadian rhythm. The man even steals pictures of male models and claims they're his own muscles to try and prop up his bullshit. Nutritional science is so good, that NASA does long term experiments with subjects on a controlled diet in which all their activity and all their food intake is carefully calibrated so that they maintain exactly the same weight throughout the experiment. And they repeat them with equal success, which is how scientific success is determined.

• Love 15

So does anyone have any side confirmation that the show was renewed?  It should be coming up soon in January but I don't see any sign of it.  Just Twit's claim.  Did she announce prematurely?  Is she just scamming everyone?  Did TLC cancel because, perhaps, Tal decided that Whitney wasn't his life partner and he didn't want to raise a child with her?

37 minutes ago, Brooks said:

So does anyone have any side confirmation that the show was renewed?  It should be coming up soon in January but I don't see any sign of it.  Just Twit's claim.  Did she announce prematurely?  Is she just scamming everyone?  Did TLC cancel because, perhaps, Tal decided that Whitney wasn't his life partner and he didn't want to raise a child with her?

It has been renewed, premier date unknown. Maybe TLC is waiting to the last moment to announce a date to ensure Twit hasn't been arrested for sexual misconduct yet.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Dot said:

It has been renewed, premier date unknown. Maybe TLC is waiting to the last moment to announce a date to ensure Twit hasn't been arrested for sexual misconduct yet.

Really the only thing that she hasn't had yet, and the way she acts she's literally been begging for sex scandal since season 1.

• Love 4

Not sure this is where to post this, but it seems to be sort of a general, "whatever as long as it relates to Whitney" thread, so I guess this seems like a good place for it...

Have we ever seen or heard if Whitney has had someone close to her that's dealing with diabetes? We've all speculated that since the "near miss" deal with her A1C many season ago, there's been no follow up which leads some of us to believe she has perhaps crossed in diabetes territory....

How in the world could she not be terribly, horribly scared to death by that? I have little experience with it, but what little I do have scared the crap out of me! My brother's (now ex) girlfriend had diabetes. One time when he was traveling, he called me and asked me to go check on her, because he was still hours away but said he'd been on the phone with her, and she started talking strangely, not really making sense, etc. And then she hung up, and wouldn't answer his calls anymore. So he was petrified, with good reason.

I buzzed over to check on her immediately (I lived right around the corner from her) and the ambulance came shortly after I arrived. Luckily, she had called 911 before she got really out of it, but she was SO not herself! Her door was open so when she didn't answer, I went right in because I was so concerned...she was sitting at her table just poking her finger over and over again, blood running everywhere, unable to get her test strips into her machine...I was absolutely scared TO DEATH...and then it got worse. She looked up at me and said (very sweetly, no real concern in her voice) "And who are you? How did you get in my house?"

She'd known me for several years! We often did things together, even without my brother, just the two of us! And she's a NURSE! She's not clueless about her health and normally was never careless with her diabetes, from what I saw, but she was a totally different person on that night!

I went to the ER and stayed with her there, and after the staff got her stabilized, and got some IV fluids into her, she sort of "woke up" and said to me "Sasha! What are you doing here at the hospital with me?" She had no memory of me being at her house, or of not recognizing me.

It scared the living daylights out of me, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody, not even our dear Twit. I wish I had that whole horrible scene on video, I'd send it to Whitney and say "This is your future, if you don't start taking your health SERIOUSLY! Now put down the giant Starbucks cup and get to work!"

• Love 6

I don't recall any mention of family outside of the immediate family being still alive, or stories about how other relatives died.  No inlaws because Twit and Hunter aren't married so no extended family to learn from.  Twit doesn't seem to be exposed to anyone right now.  And she isn't focused on anyone else anyway.

I believe she's diabetic and that it's the least of her health issues.  She was early on concerned she might have crossed the completely arbitrary line into diabetesland (so something registered but maybe not based on people she knows) but doesn't seem at all concerned about all the other associated issues.  Between her smoking and extreme obesity, I figure cancer just hasn't been diagnosed yet.  So many horrible and avoidable ways she's setting herself up to suffer even more than she already is.  Just fabulous!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Brooks said:

So many horrible and avoidable ways she's setting herself up to suffer even more than she already is.

Absolutely. I sometimes wonder which of her health problems will eventually cause her to lose her mobility (such as it is....she's not all that mobile now!). Will it be a diabetes-related amputation, or breaking an ankle due to the extreme obesity, or will she someday just get so heavy she can't get up anymore! 

It's silly of me to even think she'd realize how dangerous diabetes of any health problem could be...I'm applying logic to a very illogical person. She's had wake up call after wake up call, and she just isn't answering that phone! 

I'd have stopped stuffing my face long before I couldn't shave my legs anymore, or have some stick to put "chub rub" cream on! She gives thing cutesy little names like that...chub rub....when really it's an unnatural, painful condition caused by her morbid obesity. Chubby is one thing, serious obesity is quite another! She's long past chubby and can't admit it.

• Love 6

Weird thoughts that occur to me at 3 AM....

(1) I wonder if everyone who is a part of this show has to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

(2) If not, am I the only one who wants to hear LENNIE's side of that whole "relationship?" Was he paid to be her boyfriend? Or was she just a warm hole to put it in? 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Weird thoughts that occur to me at 3 AM....

(1) I wonder if everyone who is a part of this show has to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

(2) If not, am I the only one who wants to hear LENNIE's side of that whole "relationship?" Was he paid to be her boyfriend? Or was she just a warm hole to put it in? 

(1) Me too....

(2) Nope, you're not the only one! And I absolutely believe he was just hired to be her "boyfriend" for a season.

• Love 2

I forget how did Lennie and Whitney meet?  I never thought Lennie was hired to play her boyfriend, mostly because I thought if they were going to hire someone, it be somebody she actually had chemistry with.  If anything Lennie seemed more like a FWB that they portrayed as a boyfriend.  Hence the you called me 82 times or whatever he said.  Honestly, I’d side eye any guy who had to wear a disguise or use a fake name to be filmed with me.  Just say you don’t want to be on the show.  

21 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I forget how did Lennie and Whitney meet?  I never thought Lennie was hired to play her boyfriend, mostly because I thought if they were going to hire someone, it be somebody she actually had chemistry with.  If anything Lennie seemed more like a FWB that they portrayed as a boyfriend.  Hence the you called me 82 times or whatever he said.  Honestly, I’d side eye any guy who had to wear a disguise or use a fake name to be filmed with me.  Just say you don’t want to be on the show.  

Please tell me what FWB stands for. I am old so not current on all the new abbreviations. All I can think of is former white boyfriend but I doubt that is what it means. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Please tell me what FWB stands for. I am old so not current on all the new abbreviations. All I can think of is former white boyfriend but I doubt that is what it means. 

Friends with Benefits (ie friends who sleep together but not boyfriend and girlfriend)

9 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Please. Pretty sure I'm older. Friend with benefits....I.e., a f*ck partner. 

• Love 1

Despite considering myself a devoted hater of MBFFL, I haven't actually seen anything prior to Season 4. Full disclosure: the preview clips of the ski scene were what actually got me into the show; boy, they didn't disappoint! That scene is still one of the most iconic moments of television to me, the way she hysterically berates the crew for not helping her, the way Lennie bemusedly but valiantly tries to hold her up, and finally, the little bounce her body gives when she finally lands...ICONIC. That's reality television. 

Anyway, to the point! I've been watching the very first episode as I can fit in snippets, and, oh my word, it's just A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SHOW. 

1) When her date told her she didn't need to lose any weight, she was like, "That's not going to happen! I need to get to a weight where I can do the things I want to," and then notes that if she gains any more weight, she won't be able to tie her own shoes. Which season was it that she shared she cannot tie her own shoes? 

2) People around Whitney describe her as "selfless," "caring," and "sweet." Even Todd has nice things to say about her, and we know Todd hates her bitchy ass. 

3) Tal is drinking wine! How did he become sober and go into rehab in this short amount of time? 

4) Whitney seems sympathetic and relatable. She seems sincere about wanting to be healthy and lose some weight, and when her dad harangues her for a specific goal weight and plan, I almost felt a little sorry for her. The Whitney I know today is such a noxious, miserable dick that I have never even come close to feeling sorry for her, even when I should (see the ski incident, above). 

Of course, some things never change, and she's still as physically and socially inappropriate as ever. Also, I'll express the unpopular opinion that she looks as heavy back then as she looks now. It just seems like she took better care of herself and had a little more pride in her appearance then. I imagine the pain and difficulty of carrying around that much weight, and losing so much of your quality of life, would take the will to thrive out of anyone; we sort of watch her decline in front of our eyes. And when I put it like that, I do actually feel sorry for her. Let's blame the holidays, making my heart grow three sizes or something. 

• Love 12

I've watched a few earlier episodes lately as well (I think some were season 1) and you are more observant than I am, @Pachengala! I missed that Tal was drinking wine. I agree that she's become less and less likable as time has gone by. 

One of the things that cracked me up was when she was still living with her parents, and she's in her bedroom and yells "Mommy! Come shave my legs!" In comes Babs, starts shaving Twit's legs for her...then Glenn walks in and wants to talk to Twit about something, and she's not having it, she wants him out (understandable...there are some things you'll let your Mom help you with, but your Dad,  no...just no). 

Anyway...what cracked me up was what Twit had to say about that situation - "We need some boundaries in this house." Boundaries? Ha ha, what a hypocrite! She has no respect for other people's personal space, sitting on them, forcing people to hug her, etc...and she's laying there, having "Mommy" shave her legs, but she wants to talk about boundaries! Classic Whitney.

Glenn should not just walk on in to her bedroom, true, but learn some boundaries of your own before complaining about someone else's. I bet Babs might like a "shave your own damn legs" boundary.

• Love 7