Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

On 11/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, Peace 47 said:

What do we think about Jennifer Lopez’s upcoming romcom, Marry Me?

I’m a moderate J. Lo fan, but this one looks like a miss, and not in a “so bad it’s good” fun way (as it should be, given that convoluted plot), but more in a boring way.

They essentially give away the whole plot in the trailer, and it’s like two steps too much, and too immature for this group of (amazing looking) 50+ year old actors.  Owen Wilson looks like he may have been miscast, and Sarah Silverman as Quirky BFF doesn’t come across as fun or funny.

I just saw the trailer. Good lord, it looks like the suckiest bunch of suck that ever sucked, but then, it's a J. Lo movie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I just saw the trailer. Good lord, it looks like the suckiest bunch of suck that ever sucked, but then, it's a J. Lo movie.

Maybe she made this one to make her other movies look better in comparison? 

• LOL 2

Well, this is promising. The new George Miller movie, 3,000 Years of Longing, will debut at Cannes in May. Which means it'll be in cinemas hopefully a few weeks later.

Yes, I'm more interested in Furiosa. But I'll give this one a shot too.

Anyone know how long for a movie to go from Cannes to suburban cinema?

Jeremy Slater (The Moon Knight) is making a live action (I believe) Wile E. Coyote, about the workers in the Acme warehouse.  With John Cena, Will Forte, and Lana Condor.

Just when you thought the trend of splitting one movie into two had finally died, it's back! I'm not familiar with Wicked, but I am familiar with filler and time-wasting. I hope all Wicked fans are familiar with things like patience and fan edits.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Just when you thought the trend of splitting one movie into two had finally died, it's back! I'm not familiar with Wicked, but I am familiar with filler and time-wasting. I hope all Wicked fans are familiar with things like patience and fan edits.

this is such a bizarre decision honestly. Both the last string of movie musicals and the last Wizard of Oz movies flopped. Nobody wants a movie musical in 2 parts. That's completely idiotic, not even the longest musicals were split and Wicked is pretty thin on plot in the first place. Nobody wants a lot of book stuff in the musical version either, the tone is very different. This is gonna be such a mess, I can only presume someone wanted extra tax write-offs.

• Love 9

They're going with a comedic take, which is fine - appropriate, even. But I'm finding it really hard to not see 'Daniel Radcliffe' instead of the person he's supposed to be playing, when I'm very familiar with what Weird Al actually looks like.

• Love 2
On 5/3/2022 at 8:44 PM, Browncoat said:

I'm sold, too.  I still think Daniel Radcliffe is an odd choice for Weird Al, but the clip makes me think it's going to be okay.

Quoting myself -- I'm unsold, since I don't have Roku and can't watch it.  If it came to theaters, I'd go for sure!

On 4/26/2022 at 6:55 PM, Spartan Girl said:

They can make The Batman and Endgame nearly three hours long, but Wicked is too big for one movie?

What???? I don’t like this. Wicked could be a great movie, especially with gorgeous sets and costumes, but given that this is Elphaba’s origin story, and we all know the Wizard of Oz- WHAT sense does this make?

I saw the trailer for Don’t Worry Darling- what do you think? So long as it’s better than Midsommar I will be ok. 

• Love 1

Deadline has new details about the Dirty Dancing sequel.  It now has an expected release date of sometime in 2024.

In the sequel, Jennifer Grey will reprise her iconic role of Frances “Baby” Houseman as she returns to Kellerman’s in the 1990s. Like the original, the sequel will be a coming-of-age romance centered on the experience of a young woman at the summer camp, but Baby’s own journey will intertwine with this to create a multi-layered narrative.

Levine has co-written the sequel, also titled Dirty Dancing, with Elizabeth Chomko. Casting conversations are underway — the team has a shortlist of names to play the lead — and the film is expected to go into production later this year for release in 2024.

The movie’s music will will range from songs from the original movie (Hungry Eyes is among the songs set to return) to ‘90s hip-hop. Levine also name-checked Alanis Morisette and Liz Phair as artists whose songs could potentially feature.

The project first became public in April 2020 (Deadline).  Originally, Mikki Daughtry and Tobias Iaconis were set to write the sequel.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Just Here said:

Deadline has new details about the Dirty Dancing sequel.  It now has an expected release date of sometime in 2024.

The project first became public in April 2020 (Deadline).  Originally, Mikki Daughtry and Tobias Iaconis were set to write the sequel.

That has the potential to be good.

Not sure if making a sequel to Dirty Dancing is necessary, but Jennifer Grey getting work and being back in the spotlight after all these years makes me happy. She knows what she’s doing and she’s clearly having a moment. Good for her.

If nothing else I hope they dedicate the film to Patrick Swayze.

• Love 4
On 5/7/2022 at 9:08 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I saw the trailer for Don’t Worry Darling- what do you think? So long as it’s better than Midsommar I will be ok. 

I think it looks good, but why are they trying to make Harry Styles happen as an actor?

• Love 1

Looking forward to Prey. I do like half the Predator movies. That being 1, 2, and Predators. With any luck, this'll be closer to those rather than AVP or The Predator.

Ariel Phenomenon (2022) comes out to the theatres Friday,May 20th. . Finally, this true story that happened Sept. 16th 1994 to young school children in Zimbabwe Africa is being told years later by the same children and how the incident has affected their lives. 

Just now, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Ariel Phenomenon (2022) comes out to the theatres Friday,May 20th. . Finally, this true story that happened Sept. 16th 1994 to young school children in Zimbabwe Africa is being told years later by the same children and how the incident has affected their lives. 

• Useful 1

Trailer for The Amazing Maurice. It's based on a Terry Pratchett book, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. While I'm a big Pratchett fan, the book is YA, and I wasn't a YA when it came out. Funnily enough, I haven't become a YA in the last 21 years either. In fact, I've managed to get further away. So I've only read it once. Maybe I should give it another go.

Anyway, I don't see the Pratchett magic in this trailer. If they weren't advertising the connection, and sharing the name, I'd think it was just another generic Dreamworks movie.

That's a hell of a teaser for 3,000 Years of Longing. Loving Fury Road as much as I do, I've been waiting for more George Miller for seven years. Oh, what a day… What a lovely day!

And Spiderhead certainly looks... interesting. Dosing prisoners with an experimental drug in order to somehow cure them? Fix them? Change them? Anyway, I'm intrigued.

• Love 1

This looks amazing to me. R-rated romantic comedy with what looks like exclusively LGBT+ cast. I guess there is some potential for cringe jokes that don't land that well, but so far from the trailer, everything works for me and I've already laughed a lot. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/20/2022 at 1:01 PM, JustHereForFood said:

This looks amazing to me. R-rated romantic comedy with what looks like exclusively LGBT+ cast. I guess there is some potential for cringe jokes that don't land that well, but so far from the trailer, everything works for me and I've already laughed a lot. 

Is that Luke McFarlane??? I’ll have to tell my friends in the Hallmark thread!

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Popples said:

So Winnie the Pooh becomes public domain and this is the first thing that popped into someone's head?

There are people who've been making 'edgy' re-imaginings of Alice in Wonderland and the Wizard of Oz for years now. About time they got their hands on another property.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

There are people who've been making 'edgy' re-imaginings of Alice in Wonderland and the Wizard of Oz for years now.

But those make sense. Even the originals were a bit edgy and scary.  Dorothy was chased by scary witches, bats and had to confront a mysterious man behind the curtain.  Wonka entices kids with candy.  He's fun, but there was always a bit of a menace behind even Gene Wilder's performance.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

But those make sense. Even the originals were a bit edgy and scary.  Dorothy was chased by scary witches, bats and had to confront a mysterious man behind the curtain.  Wonka entices kids with candy.  He's fun, but there was always a bit of a menace behind even Gene Wilder's performance.

That's fair enough, but some people just like perverting or messing around with things. I don't see the appeal, but it's clearly there for some.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Popples said:

So Winnie the Pooh becomes public domain and this is the first thing that popped into someone's head?

What fresh hell?! No. NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT. There are some lines that shouldn’t be crossed.

• Love 4

Winnie the Pooh was either the only Disney movie, or one of few that I've seen, where I was just hoping for it to be over soon. I can't stand main characters that are this dumb. I could see a horror version of it, if one of the normal characters (the pig comes to mind, not sure if there was some other) is the main character and is just trying to avoid the annoying bear like some do with their nightmare relatives.

In ridiculous news, Duke Nukem. Yes, really. Why? I don't know either.

Duke Nukem is a video game series. Apparently the first two did well enough for a third, which was really good! For the time, at least. Number four was long delayed and quite past its time when it arrived. Look. The jokes were alternately ripped off and puerile, but at least the action was good.

I suppose an action comedy about someone saving the world from aliens is good, especially if he has a big personality. But the comedy of the games? I suppose it could work in an ironic sense. "This guy's humour hasn't changed since 1995. Let's alternately laugh and cringe." But ultimately, I'm deeply cynical that this'll ever move beyond the planning stage.

The animation style for the new Puss in Boots is throwing me off. Almost seems direct to video quality.  Is it a stylistic choice, or were they given a barebones budget? 

• Like 1