Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

Character images for upcoming Pratchett adaptation, The Amazing Maurice. Fuck, they went full Dreamworks. Is it too much to ask for a Discworld adaptation that looks and feels like Discworld?

Those ones a few years ago were all right, but kind of soulless. The recent take on the Watch was, ironically, unwatchable. Were the animated ones any good?

An upcoming Philip K Dick adaptation, Vulcan's Hammer.

Dune, Foundation, LOTR, this... I suppose it helps that the author is no longer around to complain about how his work is being adapted. At least Robert Jordan was alive this century.

Meanwhile, what’s happening with planned adaptations of Butler, Jemison, and so on? If only they were white men. Damn inconvenient of them to be black women.*

*I’m a white man myself, but let other people have a turn with their work in front of the camera!

Edit: I'm not claiming racism, hopefully more obliviousness. Though if it's enough that I of all people notice it, there's a serious problem somewhere along the line.

Edited by Anduin

Third time's the charm? Fourth? Fifth? I dunno any more. Allegedly, a reboot of Highlander is on the way. This time it stars Henry Cavill. At least he's from the same landmass as Scotland. The first one was French, we've had English, and two Canadians.

At one point, Kevin McKidd would have been perfect. Actually Scottish, action training, can project the necessary sense of weariness. At the time, they were talking about Ryan Reynolds.

But seriously? Word has circulated about a reboot for 15 years or more. When do people say no, that's enough. We don't want another one? For my part, I remain skeptical. First that it'll ever happen, second that it'll be any good if it does.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Methos was the only reason I watched any Highlander stuff and Peter Wingfield is a doctor now so I think I'll pass.

I do love your Kevin McKidd suggestion, though.

It pisses me off how the universe could be done well, it just feels like people deliberately choose not to.

Edited by Anduin
14 hours ago, Anduin said:

It pisses me off how the universe could be done well, it just feels like people deliberately choose not to.

I'm not sure if I ever finished the first movie or not. It's a good idea, but I came accross this franchise by watching the animated series as a kid and I was surprised when I learned that the movies follow a different character in a different time period 😄.

17 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I'm not sure if I ever finished the first movie or not. It's a good idea, but I came accross this franchise by watching the animated series as a kid and I was surprised when I learned that the movies follow a different character in a different time period 😄.

The first movie is the best one. Worth watching. I hear the live-action show was pretty good, but it never aired here. Probably streaming somewhere, but I can't find the enthusiasm to look for it. Was the cartoon good? I read that they didn't have characters cut each other's heads off. Frankly, beheading is part of the appeal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Anduin said:

The first movie is the best one. Worth watching. I hear the live-action show was pretty good, but it never aired here. Probably streaming somewhere, but I can't find the enthusiasm to look for it.

The series with Adrian Paul was great. Well, the first three or four seasons. The last two, I pretty much stopped watching. Only tuned in for the series finale. DON'T get me started on the INSULTING and OFFENSIVE Endgame direct to home video and then sci-fi version's of what "there can be only one" ended up "really" meaning. It was a fucking insult to Duncan and Tessa's relationship and love.

You had Queen singing the opening and closing credits! And Christopher Lambert appeared in season one to tie the universes together, I guess? His appearance and "story" in Endgame, again, INSULTING

Adrian was just scrumptious. Still is.

The cartoon was stupid.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Anduin said:

Was the cartoon good? I read that they didn't have characters cut each other's heads off. Frankly, beheading is part of the appeal.

I liked it a lot as a kid, but I used to like everything with swordfighting at that time. When I rewatched it few years ago (it was on YouTube), I thought it didn't hold up as well as some other animated series like X-men or Gargoyles and also it lacked a proper finale. Beheading was implied, but never actually showed, since it was meant for children.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The series with Adrian Paul was great. Well, the first three or four seasons. The last two, I pretty much stopped watching. Only tuned in for the series finale. DON'T get me started on the INSULTING and OFFENSIVE Endgame direct to home video and then sci-fi version's of what "there can be only one" ended up "really" meaning. It was a fucking insult to Duncan and Tessa's relationship and love.

The first movie is still pretty good. I recommend it. Not perfect, but good.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, Anduin said:

Meanwhile, what’s happening with planned adaptations of Butler, Jemison, and so on? If only they were white men. Damn inconvenient of them to be black women.*

Aha! Quoting myself because there's an upcoming Predator movie set around 300 years ago in the Comanche Nation. Sounds interesting. However, I'm worried that one of the characters will turn out to be Billy's ancestor. Oh look, continuity and shoutouts for the fanboys. Please, none of that. We don't need that kind of nauseous continuity.

This isn’t a complaint, but thank you, @Anduin! All this talk about The Highlander had me heading straight to watching it! Somehow, I don’t remember the special effects being so bad!😂😂 And  while Clancy Brown’s Kurgan was deliciously EVUHL, he looked like a Baby!

And now I’m rewatching the series and wishing Connor had appeared in more episodes. I hate that it’s not airing on Prime Video, but the “improved” IMDBTV with commercials. BAH! Though it does appear it’s the unedited and full episodes.

Duncan/Adrian is just SAE SCRUMPTIOUS!!

🥰🥰🥰❤️💕💕❤️💕💕❤️🥰🥰🥰

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This isn’t a complaint, but thank you, @Anduin! All this talk about The Highlander had me heading straight to watching it! Somehow, I don’t remember the special effects being so bad!😂😂 And  while Clancy Brown’s Kurgan was deliciously EVUHL, he looked like a Baby!

Glad to help!

• Love 2

Sigh. I was hoping there was a Highlander thread for the series. And I'm not sure if I request one be created, if there would be much discussion.

So, on a last note, I hate Amanda.

I will forever be upset they

killed off Darius.

And I can't watch any episodes after

they killed off Tessa

. And I'm up to that episode now. I think I'll watch the second season finale and then the series finale.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sigh. I was hoping there was a Highlander thread for the series. And I'm not sure if I request one be created, if there would be much discussion.

So, on a last note, I hate Amanda.

I will forever be upset they

Reveal spoiler

killed off Darius.

And I can't watch any episodes after

Reveal spoiler

they killed off Tessa

. And I'm up to that episode now. I think I'll watch the second season finale and then the series finale.

@GHScorpiosRule

Unfortunately, that actor passed away shortly after his final episode was shot. I was MEH on all of Duncan’s love interests, even Tessa. They were fine. The Methos episodes though…those are fantastic. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

@GHScorpiosRule

Unfortunately, that actor passed away shortly after his final episode was shot. I was MEH on all of Duncan’s love interests, even Tessa. They were fine. The Methos episodes though…those are fantastic. 

I didn't know that. I loved Darius.

I loved Tessa the best, because she was human and no shrinking violet.

Like I said, I watched most of the series. But stopped after what happened at the end of the fifth series finale, and only tuned in to watch Duncan sporadically in the final season.

I won't lie. Adrian is the reason. And while I also loved Methos, Duncan was my jam.

Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

I didn't know that. I loved Darius.

I loved Tessa the best, because she was human and no shrinking violet.

Like I said, I watched most of the series. But stopped after what happened at the end of the fifth series finale, and only tuned in to watch Duncan sporadically in the final season.

I won't lie. Adrian is the reason. And while I also loved Methos, Duncan was my jam.

Methos was SO my jam and Duncan became secondary. I love the world weary snark over the ponytail. Chivalry is one of my favorite episodes.

Methos in the tragically horrible Endgame …I can’t even cope with that mess.

Peter Wingfield, although he got his medical degree, is still doing some acting I think. I mean. They should pay him a boatload to come back.

• Love 2
Just now, BlackberryJam said:

Methos was SO my jam and Duncan became secondary. I love the world weary snark over the ponytail. Chivalry is one of my favorite episodes.

Methos in the tragically horrible Endgame …I can’t even cope with that mess.

Peter Wingfield, although he got his medical degree, is still doing some acting I think. I mean. They should pay him a boatload to come back.

Know what? I'll request a Highlander Series thread and we can gush and bitch (okay, I'll bitch about Amanda and how she had the current American accent when she became immortal apparently back in the medieval period and just in general because I loathe her) and not get in trouble here! 😝

13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Know what? I'll request a Highlander Series thread and we can gush and bitch (okay, I'll bitch about Amanda and how she had the current American accent when she became immortal apparently back in the medieval period and just in general because I loathe her) and not get in trouble here! 😝

Tag me when it's open!

Back on topic....uhmmm..Francois Arnaud is going to be in the new Liam Neeson film. MMMM ....Francois Arnaud...

• Love 2

The film is Marlowe based on Phillip Marlowe and I am down for more noir-ish murder mystery films.

I am tired of "thrillers" and "psychological suspense" and superhero films. Give me a straight up mystery. I realize those are much more difficult to write, with more plotting and dialogue than films with 'insert 17 minute chase/fight scene with three witty quips.'

• Love 2

Mel Gibson to direct Lethal Weapon 5. I will not be watching for several reasons. The first two were very good. The second two were not. I no longer watch movies about police. Mel Gibson is a terrible excuse for a human being, and I no longer wish to give him any more time or attention. And frankly, Gibson is in his 60s. Glover is in his 70s. Stunt doubles and effects can do a lot, but they can't work miracles. One to avoid at all costs.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Mel Gibson to direct Lethal Weapon 5. I will not be watching for several reasons. The first two were very good. The second two were not. I no longer watch movies about police. Mel Gibson is a terrible excuse for a human being, and I no longer wish to give him any more time or attention. And frankly, Gibson is in his 60s. Glover is in his 70s. Stunt doubles and effects can do a lot, but they can't work miracles. One to avoid at all costs.

Oh, good god, really?  A fifth one?  I agree, numbers three and four were terrible.  I see no point in yet another one.  I also agree that I will not pay any money to see it -- I have no desire to give any more of my money to that piece of shit Gibson.  It still pisses me off that he turned out to be such an ass.  Ruins a lot of really excellent movies from back in the day such as "The Year of Living Dangerously".  Has Danny Glover signed on?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Has Danny Glover signed on?

Right now, it isn't listed on his IMDB. He has several projects in the works, maybe he won't feel the need to come back. We can only hope.

• Love 2

What do we think about Jennifer Lopez’s upcoming romcom, Marry Me?

I’m a moderate J. Lo fan, but this one looks like a miss, and not in a “so bad it’s good” fun way (as it should be, given that convoluted plot), but more in a boring way.

They essentially give away the whole plot in the trailer, and it’s like two steps too much, and too immature for this group of (amazing looking) 50+ year old actors.  Owen Wilson looks like he may have been miscast, and Sarah Silverman as Quirky BFF doesn’t come across as fun or funny.

I haven’t seen an enjoyable pure romcom in awhile, so I hope it’s just a bad trailer and that it actually will be fun.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Peace 47 said:

I’m a moderate J. Lo fan, but this one looks like a miss, and not in a “so bad it’s good” fun way (as it should be, given that convoluted plot), but more in a boring way.

They essentially give away the whole plot in the trailer, and it’s like two steps too much, and too immature for this group of (amazing looking) 50+ year old actors.  Owen Wilson looks like he may have been miscast, and Sarah Silverman as Quirky BFF doesn’t come across as fun or funny.

I haven’t seen an enjoyable pure romcom in awhile, so I hope it’s just a bad trailer and that it actually will be fun.  

Whatever I think of the movie, the gown is GORGEOUS.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I like Lopez well enough, really like Wilson, but tend to be disappointed by most romcoms, so am surprised by how eager I am to watch this. It looks like the kind of frothy nonsense with a happy ending that I need right now.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Oh, dear.  I'm not the target audience, as I tend not to like rom-coms, but that looks utterly ridiculous.

• Love 4
On 11/18/2021 at 6:52 PM, Peace 47 said:

Sarah Silverman as Quirky BFF doesn’t come across as fun or funny. 

IMO, has she ever ?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/19/2021 at 1:52 AM, Peace 47 said:

I think those 3 and a half minutes are probably the longest I could watch that movie and since they practically showed us the entire movie in that, I won't have to.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 11/20/2021 at 7:24 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I think those 3 and a half minutes are probably the longest I could watch that movie and since they practically showed us the entire movie in that, I won't have to.

And the line from the wedding ceremony is probably the best joke.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/29/2021 at 6:14 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Good God I hope not.  Who thought we needed a biopic of the father of Venus and Serena, and not Venus and Serena??  If Will was playing Richard in a supporting role, I would be all in, but not as the star.  

Amen.  Let's make a movie about two of the greatest female athletes of all time, but focus it on their dad instead of them.  Infuriating. 

• Love 4

Who thought we needed a biopic of the father of Venus and Serena, and not Venus and Serena??

Venus and Serena. Their father was an instrumental part of their success, and the family was involved in the production, I hear.

53 minutes ago, lilabennet said:

Amen.  Let's make a movie about two of the greatest female athletes of all time, but focus it on their dad instead of them.  Infuriating. 

Pretty sure it was always about their dad.

On 11/25/2021 at 2:53 PM, Trini said:

Venus and Serena. Their father was an instrumental part of their success, and the family was involved in the production, I hear.

Pretty sure it was always about their dad.

So did the movie start out Venus and Serena's idea? If it was a studio it makes more sense that they approached the sisters about a biopic on them and they wanted it to be about their dad instead. 

First five minutes of Moonfall, a new Roland Emmerich movie.

So, Emmerich. I love Stargate. Independence Day was pretty good. I used to like Godzilla, until I watched it with adult eyes. However, I recently gave 10,000 BC a go. God, that was terrible.

Will this be a return to form, or complete nonsense? I'm leaning towards nonsense. Not even the fun kind. Anyone else have feelings about this?

1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

The Lost City

This looks like silly fun.  I want to see it.

Yes, we all enjoyed Romancing The Stone.

31 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

This one looks like silly fun, too.

I do like celebs who can laugh at themselves.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Yes, we all enjoyed Romancing The Stone.

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw it. It looks different enough, though,  and it's been long enough since I've seen Romancing the Stone, that I might see this one at matinee prices when it comes out.

• Love 4

Looks like Alexander Skarsgård decided to take a 180 degree turn from his role in Succession.

I thought the trailer for The Lost City was entertaining enough with Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum. Too bad they didn't go for a surprise cameo, because that would have been an awesome reveal.

• Love 1

New live-action Masters of the Universe movie in the offing. They really won't let this universe die, will they? Anyway, this one stars Kyle Allen, who was in West Side Story. The problem with that, from the pictures I've seen, he's nowhere near beefy enough! Sure, He-Man has an unrealistic physique, but someone like Batista or Jason Momoa comes close. Allen looks a long way away. Closer to Tom Holland than Chris Evans.

I am SO EXCITED for this. 

We have a new Cyrano. 

I love the idea of Cyrano and Roxanne being friends. I love Roxanne having agency. And I love our Christian not being a total doofus and this quote most of all “Children need love, adults need money.”

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I love the idea of Cyrano and Roxanne being friends. I love Roxanne having agency. And I love our Christian not being a total doofus and this quote most of all “Children need love, adults need money.”

I agree, but would have preferred a straight up drama instead of a musical. Peter Dinklage as Cyrano is great casting, but from what I have heard, his singing voice is not great. Out of the three people central to the plot, he's the one that didn't get a clip of him singing.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I agree, but would have preferred a straight up drama instead of a musical. Peter Dinklage as Cyrano is great casting, but from what I have heard, his singing voice is not great. Out of the three people central to the plot, he's the one that didn't get a clip of him singing.

I see your point. If the other actors are excellent singers I can see why they did that. I don’t know why they don’t hire signers when they want a big name that can’t sing- I think about how Mena Massoud BUTCHERED “A Whole New World”. If they had hired someone to sing for him that could’ve been avoided.