Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

Jesse Eisenberg as a teenager is a bit of a stretch, but in Resistance he plays 16 year old Marcel Marceau,  who worked with the French resistance to rescue a group of Jewish children whose parents had been killed by Nazis.

• Love 1

RE: Soul - I kind of hate the animation style and character design when they're humans. It has that weird plastic, gummy Illumination Entertainment look. I know 2D animation is probably not coming back but I still find the Disney stuff better than the Pixar stuff. And Coco didn't look like this either. 

RE: Wendy - It looks both too realistic and too artificial. It has all the hallmarks of that indie prestige drama look. I would be surprised if it appealed to actual children.

RE: Antebellum - Well, they're going there. I wish I could be into Get Out and Us and this new genre that seems to be forming but I can't abide horror.

RE: Free Guy - I don't know. I didn't see Deadpool. I did love Detective Pikachu (but that was mostly because of the high cuteness factor). The Voices, RIPD, etc. I don't know that Ryan Reynolds is really doing anything different now with high concept comedies as much as he may be choosing better projects. He could backslide very easily. I haven't found him to be genuinely earnest and whimsical since Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place. The jokes seem iffy and I question his charisma when you can see his face. 

RE: Misbehaviour - It looks like one of those feminist historical movies that seems like it's going to be a thing like Battle of the Sexes, Suffragette, On the Basis of Sex, etc. that is let down by some pieces of the puzzle (usually the script) and gets no awards recognition. Great cast though. I will 100% watch it on streaming.

Well, this is unfortunate. Cate Blanchett will play Lilith in an adaptation of the Borderlands games.

I have played over 3.5 thousand hours in the Borderlands series, and intend to increase that number. However, I won't be going anywhere near this movie. Series creator Randy Pitchford and movie director Eli Roth are both vile people. I will not give them my money. If she chooses to associate with them, I have to assume she's fine with their behavior. I may not have a loud voice on the internet, but I vote with my wallet. I won't be going to any more Blanchett movies either.

Yes, I bought the games before I heard about Pitchford's behaviour. No, I did not and will not buy BL3.

If anyone cares, the basic premise is that you're dropped on a Mad Max-inspired alien planet. There's lots of things to shoot and lots of things to shoot with. I don't play these games for the story.

On 6/25/2020 at 10:16 PM, Silver Raven said:

Gerard Butler in Greenland.

Dude saved the president three times and he doesn't get priority boarding?

Huh, that's weird. There's satellite shot near the end of the trailer and

Spoiler

Greenland is actually green. No ice sheet.

17 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

She's got the pipes, I'm not sure if she's got the presence to play Aretha. Maybe she'll surprise me.

Apparently, Aretha gave Jennifer her blessing for this role.  I adore Jennifer's voice, but she has not impressed me when not singing.  I wish some unknown was cast instead.  I think a biopic role for someone like Aretha is the perfect vehicle for a lesser known actress to shine.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There's a new version of Rebecca, starring Armie Hammer, Lily James, and Kristin Scott Thomas.  I guess KST is Mrs. Danvers, though that's odd casting.

I hope Armie Hammer doesn't try to to do an English accent.

o294vpiaxkf51.jpg?width=2048&format=pjpg

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  My favorite adaptation was the 1979 version with Jeremy Brett as Maxim.  I haven't seen the Charles Dance one.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 1

I'm not sure how I feel about a new version of Rebecca either. On one hand I would like the story introduced to a new generation, but I do like the Olivier/Fontaine version. I saw part of the 1979 version a long time ago, but don't remember it well and never even knew there was a version with Charles Dance.

• Love 1

I saw a TV ad for Tenet. On the final frames, when they show the "credits" it says,

Only in theaters.

Where theaters are open.

That's 2020 for you.

ETA the final trailer.

If we weren't in a pandemic I would definitely watch this the first weekend. But we are, so I doubt I will ever see it on the big screen.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

She's got the pipes, I'm not sure if she's got the presence to play Aretha. Maybe she'll surprise me.

Agreed. This is a crazy opinion but I think her acting actually seemed better in Sandy Wexler. I don't know if she's overwhelmed by big productions, but she seems back to Dreamgirls level in this trailer. It's edited to death with a lot of quick clips but you can still see the flat delivery and the dead eyes. I do think it was smart to just let her sing naturally instead of trying to have her mimic Aretha's speaking or singing voice.

Anyone else forget this was an Anne Hathaway movie? What is that goddamned accent? People keep trying to make Anne Hathaway happen again and I'm just not ready for it. Also, her role in Ocean's 8? Way overhyped. 

I do like the aesthetic. It's VERY Bryan Fuller. +Cate Blanchett in that Cinderella live action movie. You know... book adaptation but make it fashion. Best part right now seems to be Octavia Spencer. Aside from the weird emphasis on the fashion it seems like this movie is very much for children. Stuart Little but less realistic. At least so far it doesn't seem like there's a lot of goofy bathroom humor.

Oh, good, more whitewashing.

yw2hrrzwngr51.jpg

About an ancient order of expert Jiu Jitsu fighters facing alien invaders in a battle for Earth every six years. Cage’s character and his team of Jiu Jitsu fighters band together to defeat the Brax, the alien leader.

• LOL 1
12 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Will this break the drought for Glenn Close?

It will depend on which category she and Amy get put into.  If they are both in the same, then I think neither will get Her Oscar because they will split the vote.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Normally I'm not all "give them all the awards" based on a trailer but let's face it, there won't be a ton of competition this year and both look transformative, especially Viola. 

Just going off of trailers (both from Netflix), I'd say it looks like the black blues singers vs the hillbillies.

• Love 2

Clint Eastwood is planning a new movie.

Cry Macho will star Clint Eastwood as a "onetime rodeo star and washed-up horse breeder who, in 1978, takes a job from an ex-boss to bring the man's young son home and away from his alcoholic mom. Crossing rural Mexico on their back way to Texas, the unlikely pair faces an unexpectedly challenging journey, during which the world-weary horseman may find his own sense of redemption through teaching the boy what it means to be a good man."

As far as I can tell, it's set in 1978 because the original novel was published in 1975, and Eastwood wanted it to be roughly contemporary. But what amuses me is that if set 100 years earlier, it would be pure western. Eastwood hasn't done a western since 1992's Unforgiven. This sounds very much like a neo-western, maybe he isn't over it after all.

• Love 3

COVID gets the Michael Bay treatment (although, he is technically only producing)!  Complete with a bearded Archie from Riverdale, Bradley Whitford once again slumming it for a paycheck, Demi Moore camping it up, and I'm pretty sure Peter Stormare isn't acting, but just wandered onto the set and they figured they might as well use him!

• LOL 3

First trailer for the much delayed Chaos Walking with Daisy Ridley and Tom Holland:

Doesn't look horrible, but it does comes off like a generic Y.A. sci-fi genre thriller, where it looks like both Ridley and Holland are playing characters similar to both Rey and Peter Parker.  And what is the over/under that Mads Mikkelson's character will either a) turn out to be evil or b) get the old "father figure who dies" treatment?

New Chloe Moretz movie, Shadow in the Cloud. It looks pretty average, until 2 minutes in. Yeah. I don't know if I actually like it, but I'm laughing. If the movie has more of that in store, I think I'm in.