Type keyword(s) to search

Bringing Up Bates In The Media

• Start Topic

I was checking out the Bates' website and I'm really surprised at how much they write about each of the kids. They really are different from the Duggars because they know each kid has a personality & the kids favorite restaurants/movies etc are a lot more mainstream. They are refreshing compared to the Duggars!

• Love 1

They finally got a professional to run their website and it shows. Far better than the never-updated, hot mess that is the Duggars' site. eta: Although, upon closer inspection, they needed a proofreader; there are plenty in the Johnson family's picture (another fundie family from the looks of them...several kids, all skirts, etc.).

Edited by Sew Sumi

It looks like UPtv is uploading all their episodes and promos so you may subscribe to their You Tube channel for all the updates. The first episode is up: "Bringing Up Bates | Season 1 Episode 1 | Meet the Bates"

I didn't check if they're on UPtvs site too.

• Love 1

The biggest question to me in all this is: How is the average person supposed to view the show? My cable provider says there are no plans to being the UP channel to our area anytime soon, and it's not a part of the channel lineup in many major markets. The first episode is on YouTube, but that obviously was a teaser, as the second one isn't up. Anyone know for sure how this is being handled -- Amazon Instant Video at some point, maybe?  

Edited by Literata
  • Love 1

I referred this to TLC - my mistake.  I did find an article that explains the birth and trouble with the Jeb's birth http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2187853/Americas-largest-family-Bates-miracle-19th-child-survived-failing-breathe-birth.html

I'm thrilled we have families who are raising their children in a Godly way. From the fruits you shall know them.  They  already have three of the oldest children married and have good jobs and nice homes. Another son already has his own business. Bates home is mortgage free and not on govt assistance.

As a side issue, we live in farm country here and there are many families that had 13 to 16 children.  That's just the way it was. Now they are happy grandparents with beautiful families.

She did in that cleaning out the closet portion where they pulled all the tubs out of storage, I think.  Kelly seems to accept that the baby making days are gone.  She seems to be handling with grace and a part of her seems relieved.

• Love 1

I think a lot people know that the Bateses and the Duggar's are similar, but it is the way they act on the show that is extremely different. Jim Bob and Michelle basically ignore their children and hand them off to the older kids, but Gil and Kelly seem to genuinely love their children and spend time with them.

Setting their beliefs aside, I still like the Bateses more than I like the Duggar's.

• Love 6

Me too.  I think the way Kelly & Gil handled Zach's first courtship illustrates an important difference between the two families.  Instead of digging in their heels and enforcing stricter rules, the Bates decided that allowing their kids a lengthy "getting to know you" phase before formal courtship was the right thing to do. It sounds like Zach & Whit did their courtship their own way and they are much happier for it.  They even kissed before the wedding and the sky did not come crashing down!  

Having said all that, the Bates' close association with Gothard is very troubling, and I know the show is editing out some of more unsavory parts of their faith.

• Love 1

One thing that I really appreciate about Kelly and Gil Bates is that they don't feel the need to kiss all the time the way that the Duggars do. That was so annoying to watch. In fact, I don't believe I've ever heard Gil make the same sort of stupid jokes that Jim Bob has made in regards to "trying" for more. The Duggars have always preached about modesty but don't seem to conduct it at all whereas the Bates are modest by choice and much more discreet.

• Love 3

UP Network posted a teaser in anticipation of the NYE marathon. During said marathon, they are going to air a new "special" that includes footage of the winner of the "20th Bates" contest, plus a "special announcement." 

I'm thinking it's Nate's courtship, since Ashley Salyer was at the Duggars over Christmas with Nate and several other older Bateses, not to mention, many family members were in NYC last week, including Gil and Kelly (who must seemingly be present when all their kids start to court). Michael said recently that she wasn't pregnant, and that's the only other announcement I can think of (unless Whitney's knocked up...too soon and too risky for Erin). 

So, we find out Thursday at 8Eastern/5Pacific (UP doesn't employ the 3 hour west coast delay, thank goodness). 

They are repeating the mini-marathon, so I suppose that means the special will also air twice. 

Sierra posted a picture of Ashley holding her latest spawn, probably taken at the TTH on Christmas night, when the Duggars had a ton of people over. Ashley was already pictured there, but not Sierra. Since these people probably just met, I doubt Ashley made a special trip to seek out our favorite party planner to hold her baby. 

This courtship is the worst kept secret ever. 

I didn't see an announcement during the clip show. I only found out via the BUB SM page that someone is knocked up. Reveal apparently on Thursday.

Definitely Whitney. Michael recently said she wasn't pregnant, Erin is too high risk for an early announcement, and Alyssa is as skinny as ever.

I didn't see an announcement during the clip show. I only found out via the BUB SM page that someone is knocked up. Reveal apparently on Thursday.

Edited by Sew Sumi
(edited)

Here he is singing a duet at the Bateses' Mall Church with Ashley yesterday.

eta: A FJ member found his facebook, and he has a sister who goes to PCC, but it's not known whether he is confirmed ATI (his SM is private), however there is some evidence that he may also attend PCC. We do know that he's 21 (Tori turns 21 in December).

Edited by Sew Sumi

At least the Bates Family understands that it's normal to find someone and get married. The Duggars are so behind in that concept and will have a dozen SADA. (stay at home adults that will never escape)

I'm happy for Nathan I think Ashley is full of life just like his crazy sisters. She'll fit right in.

• Love 3

Bobby reminds me of Chad Paine's brother Thomas. He's a nice looking kid and Tori seems happy (going by the picture).

The Bateseseses are leaving the Duggars in the dust when it comes to courtship and marriage. Poor JD has been reduced to publicly begging for a wife while the Bates kids find partners with ease.

• Love 4

I'm 50/50 on Lawson. I think part of it is he really wants to pursue music, and it's hard to do that when you have a clingy Fundie wife and four kids following you around. However on the flip side, I don't know any red-blooded early 20-something male who doesn't want to get laid, so it makes you wonder....

• Love 3

They probably won't let him marry until he proves that he can succeed at music. Or, he has to give up music and find another profession. According to Trace's graduation video, he has taken over Lawson's lawncare business, so it looks like the music "career" is all Lawson has at the moment. 

So sorry to have to ask this, but what channel does this show come on? My Tivo is only pointing to Amazon, even though it is obvious that there is a current season! 

More on topic--I haven't seen any news articles or posts with Bates and Duggars lately. Do they no longer get together after Josh's various scandals?

It's on UP, which is kind of an obscure cable channel that not everyone gets.  

Jana Duggar was a bridesmaid in Michaela's wedding last summer, but that was right before the Joshley Madison scandal broke.  It seems like some of the family members still get together occasionally, but we don't see much of them on the Bates' show. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Porterest said:

So sorry to have to ask this, but what channel does this show come on? My Tivo is only pointing to Amazon, even though it is obvious that there is a current season! 

More on topic--I haven't seen any news articles or posts with Bates and Duggars lately. Do they no longer get together after Josh's various scandals?

There may be contract issues at play. If you're signed to a deal with one network, you may have clauses that state you can't appear on another network's show. 

Aside from Jana and Michaela, I think the BFF relationship between the families was largely superficial anyways. I remember Michelle and the Duggar girls trying to insert themselves into Erin's wedding and the Bates girls acted like they could care less whether they were there or not. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

There may be contract issues at play. If you're signed to a deal with one network, you may have clauses that state you can't appear on another network's show. 

Aside from Jana and Michaela, I think the BFF relationship between the families was largely superficial anyways. I remember Michelle and the Duggar girls trying to insert themselves into Erin's wedding and the Bates girls acted like they could care less whether they were there or not. 

That's what I've thought as well. When the two families were together they never seemed like best friends or even good friends. I remember one episode when the Bates told their kids that Duggars were coming and the kids didn't look excited at all.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thank you so much for your help with the cable channel. Sadly, even though I have a cable package that has every channel available to me, I don't have the UP channel! Ironically, I live in Arkansas, and I can't watch the goings-on of these people not that far away.  (Central Arkansas, not the creepy NW part.)

Poor Carlin, being around during Joshgate II! 

Edited by Porterest

Lawson was on NBC Nightly News tonight about Dorian. He was talking about the view from above of the horrific damage. Guess he flew down with whatever group he works with. 

I don’t believe his name was listed below him as he was interviewed. It was a short, sentence or two clip, and I was unable to rewind. 

• Love 1