Type keyword(s) to search

Bringing Up Bates In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Congrats to Katie for finishing, but we all know she's just biding her time until Travis proposes. Cute picture of her, though.

Interesting that all the adult Bates girls have completed some sort of trade or degree, but the boys are floundering (minus Zach). I wonder why there isn't more pressure on the latter to get their acts together.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I was wondering how she finished up a cosmetology degree with no school? How does that work?

I know that a lot of the licensure (trade) programs were allowing students to prepare for licensure exams without completing a certain number of hours in field experience or clinical settings. For example, in some states graduating nursing students who had completed all classes and were finishing clinicals were allowed to go ahead and take the tests (online) and apply for licensing. I don't know how Crown's curriculum works for cosmetology, but I am betting they did test prep, etc. online to push the students toward graduation and licensure. There is even some that could be done with the mannequin heads that they show the instructor via video conferencing. 

From what we have seen of Crown's cosmetology program on the show, the instructor has PowerPoints that are branded and maybe produced by the school. She was literally reading from the slides and notes, including the introductory questions to engage the class. That sort of lecture format doesn't necessarily require in person attendance. She can upload the slides and do videos demonstrating skills while the students practice those skills at home on their mannequin heads. 

I finished a new master of arts degree a few weeks ago. I was already taking classes online, as the school is in Indiana and I'm not. I had to do my thesis defense via video conference. Normally, I would have been required to travel to do it in person. It actually felt a bit harder to do it that way (online), as I couldn't see everyone and wasn't sure if what I said resonated or not. But I am grateful I had that opportunity since I didn't want to delay graduation. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Temperance said:

Trace's shirt 

Hardly shocking.  He does have a brother who is a legitimate law enforcement officer, plus Lawson is proud of his "rent-a-cop" fake constable badge.  Was he wearing it on purpose to stir up shit ? I don't doubt it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Not surprised re Trace's shirt, aren't him and Law both rent a cops? I know Zach is a cop too but he went to an actual police academy. IDK what Trace and Law do but they do take pics in uniform sometimes, we've never heard they went to an academy and Trace has expressed reluctance about being a cop for real as it's too scary. In that cheesy Evan and Carlin video where Law and Nathan flew them down to FL, Law falls down for some reason and when he's laying on the ground, you can see a badge on his waist. Reminded me of being on "safety patrol" in like 5th grade -- the "big kids" who'd "monitor" the hallways to make sure the 1st graders didn't run or the 2nd graders stayed on the sidewalk on the way to the playground or whatever. Kids would proudly wear their "badges" all day. Normal kids enjoy that additional responsibility and "authority" at 10, not at 27 -- where people who seek it can have real responsibility and authority say by going to a police academy or military bootcamp etc.

Law has been posting non stop IG videos in the last few weeks. Started off with George Floyd, then fundie speak about all of God's children, and then drifting towards blue lives matter. Erin also posted some church service thing re praying for blue lives. Fine your views are your views but super rich for these people to have views when I imagine in their part of the country and given the isolated family only life they live, they NEVER interact with anyone but white christians. What do they know about what it's like to be black/hispanic/jewish/muslim/asian/whatever in America? They don't even know it in a cursory way as in -- oh I have a black/muslim/whatever coworker. Sure they have 2 black aunts and we've seen one of them marry her high school sweetheart -- a black man (IDK if the other is married and to who), but how much do they really interact with her and how much do they really know about their aunt and uncle's life? Michael is the only one who seems close to that aunt as she has made references before to talking to that aunt on the phone etc.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 3

Interesting how quickly they start obsessing about the females in the family being feminine. Whit posted some video of the baby laughing -- the 7 mo old is wearing a freaking bracelet. We're taking a baby sized charm bracelet complete with charms hanging off of it. And Josie and Carlin always post pics of their daughters in bracelets too. These girls are all between 4-10 months old. How do they not just eat the bracelets? Let's be real this is the Bates so you know they are cheap Walmart/Target/Claire's bracelets made with who knows what chemicals and paint, yet they're ok with their kids sucking on these?? And more importantly how do they not fear one of these things breaking in their kid's mouth? All of this to make their daughters look more lady like bc let's be real at that age no one can tell a boy from a girl from a distance unless you have them in pink dresses all the time. Relax ladies -- just bc she looks like a hairless blob now like 99.99% of babies on earth doesn't mean she won't marry or have 11 kids of her own.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm pretty sure Josie's daughter's bracelet comes from an online shop that she promotes a lot called Made By Mary.  They aren't cheap crap but real silver or gold filled.  Given that when one sister does something they all do it I wouldn't be surprised if Carlin and Whitney got stuff from there too.

But yes, putting a bracelet on a very young baby is dangerous and unnecessary.  Hopefully it is just for the photos and then it gets taken off.  I remember my daughter got a tiny gold bracelet for either her baptism or her first birthday.  I may have put it on her for a photo, but she never wore it on a day to day basis.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2
On 6/9/2020 at 8:27 PM, cereality said:

Interesting how quickly they start obsessing about the females in the family being feminine. Whit posted some video of the baby laughing -- the 7 mo old is wearing a freaking bracelet. We're taking a baby sized charm bracelet complete with charms hanging off of it. And Josie and Carlin always post pics of their daughters in bracelets too. These girls are all between 4-10 months old. How do they not just eat the bracelets? Let's be real this is the Bates so you know they are cheap Walmart/Target/Claire's bracelets made with who knows what chemicals and paint, yet they're ok with their kids sucking on these?? And more importantly how do they not fear one of these things breaking in their kid's mouth? All of this to make their daughters look more lady like bc let's be real at that age no one can tell a boy from a girl from a distance unless you have them in pink dresses all the time. Relax ladies -- just bc she looks like a hairless blob now like 99.99% of babies on earth doesn't mean she won't marry or have 11 kids of her own.

I hate this practice of the gigantic bows, bracelets, etc. The bows in theory shouldn't be a problem, but when they bedazzle them up, include glitter and stones, etc., it can present a true danger to the baby. Thankfully none of them have gone the Michelle Duggar route with the fake hair in pigtails that Jennifer, Jordyn, and Josie used to wear. 

I'm sure some of the over accessorizing will stop once these girls have 10 kids and no time to dress up the baby because they are expecting number 11 and the daughters aren't old enough to be much help yet. 

I think a lot of it is complete boredom on the part of the moms. The husbands are gone with their jobs and these ladies are at home doing something or doing their IG modeling. Even their "candid" photos and videos of the babies are horribly staged. Carlin has done multiple videos where she pans the camera over the side of the crib to show Layla (who is supposedly just waking up from a nap) in a pristine onsie in a perfect position, etc. My kids never woke up like that. One would wake up with angry sounding babble conversations with the mobile and the other usually had a diaper issue that would take priority over a video. 

Second, all of these girls (but especially those younger than Alyssa) don't seem to know what to do with a baby or how to be a mom. Tori, Josie, and Carlin weren't the older girls doing the child rearing. They had the Bates version of sister moms. It was primarily Michaela and Alyssa raising them with music lessons, etc. from Erin. They are in some ways still play acting what they think a mom is supposed to do with a baby. It may not register even to them that they are trying to be like Kelly Jo but they have nobody to hand he baby off to unlike her system. 

That's not to say that Michaela would be or Alyssa is a perfect mom. But it is interesting that in the talking heads/interview couch segments that everyone mentions missing their cooking, sewing, etc. Lawson, Nathan, and Trace even mention missing their favorite dishes that the two of them cooked. Zach mentions this too. However, nobody ever seems to list anything they miss about Kelly Jo other than generalities about missing being at home and still being a kid. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

For the second year in a row, Gil has wished Callie a happy birthday (11th birthday this time) with the statement that she will be a great mother someday. 

While one would hope that if her future includes children, she would be a great mother, I would hope that a parent could and would have other things to say about a child of 11 years old. We have seen her playing the piano beautifully. She seems quite articulate and with some intelligence not exhibited by all of her other siblings. One could even mention that she is a big fan of many of her older siblings and tries hard to emulate them. We have seen that she has fears but works to overcome them. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I must not have read it closely because I didn't see the you'll be a good mom theme -- I saw G&K saying ME ME ME. It went on and on about how she makes OTHERS feel welcome, how she apologizes constantly for anything she may have done wrong (WTF??), how she goes on about how grateful she is for all of THEM. Uh -- it's an 11 year olds birthday message. Pretend she's 19 year old Katie and talk about her love of pizza and ice cream. Talk about what hobby or school subject she loves best. Talk about what she wants to be when she grows up or where she wants to live one day or where she wants to go on vacation. But no bc they're fundie + she's a girl it must all be about how she's soooo Godly and serves others so well. It's like a freaking marriage commercial for a fundie husband. Reality is this one is a lot like Alyssa and looks up to Alyssa, so you know G&K are hoping that she too will be courting by 16 and married by 18 -- that's 5 short years to rustle up the interest of some fundie boy. Hell by that point G&K will be ready to allow her to court at 14 and marry at 16 bc they'll want to lighten the number of blessings still relying on them as I assume the show will be gone and G will have to rustle up some income by making one of the boys run the tree business and taking some money from that to finish raising Callie, Jed, and Jeb.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, cereality said:

I must not have read it closely because I didn't see the you'll be a good mom theme -- I saw G&K saying ME ME ME. It went on and on about how she makes OTHERS feel welcome, how she apologizes constantly for anything she may have done wrong (WTF??), how she goes on about how grateful she is for all of THEM. Uh -- it's an 11 year olds birthday message. Pretend she's 19 year old Callie and talk about her love of pizza and ice cream. Talk about what hobby or school subject she loves best. Talk about what she wants to be when she grows up or where she wants to live one day or where she wants to go on vacation. But no bc they're fundie + she's a girl it must all be about how she's soooo Godly and serves others so well. It's like a freaking marriage commercial for a fundie husband. Reality is this one is a lot like Alyssa and looks up to Alyssa, so you know G&K are hoping that she too will be courting by 16 and married by 18 -- that's 5 short years to rustle up the interest of some fundie boy. Hell by that point G&K will be ready to allow her to court at 14 and marry at 16 bc they'll want to lighten the number of blessings still relying on them as I assume the show will be gone and G will have to rustle up some income by making one of the boys run the tree business and taking some money from that to finish raising Callie, Jed, and Jeb.

It was the video from UP where one of the parents talks, not the actual one long paragraph tribute. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDYtwivFAma/

• Love 1

I frequently watch makeup tutorials on Youtube. Today I saw a teenage makeup tutorial with Addallee and Josie's partner. I think her name is Grace. She did a very pretty light makeup on Addeelee. She seems to have tamed her eyebrows. Once her braces come off and Josie gives her a cute stylish haircut she will look just  like Alyssa. She may not be as tiny as Alyssa but she sure resembles her. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I frequently watch makeup tutorials on Youtube. Today I saw a teenage makeup tutorial with Addallee and Josie's partner. I think her name is Grace. She did a very pretty light makeup on Addeelee. She seems to have tamed her eyebrows. Once her braces come off and Josie gives her a cute stylish haircut she will look just  like Alyssa. She may not be as tiny as Alyssa but she sure resembles her. 

Alyssa wasn't always as small as she has been since she turned 17 or 18. Part of that was the frumpy jumpers and shapeless denim skirts. Most of the Bates girls went through a more square shaped stage around pre-teen to early teen ages. I think part of that was due to the food options. With the older girls, Michaela and Alyssa cooked, but the food was cheap and processed. It was essentially reheated. 

Now they don't really have any sister moms cooking at home. I would bet there is a lot of fast food and craft services stuff for them.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Just saw images of Lawson and Trace at the MAGA rally in DC on Jan. 6.  To say I am disappointed would be an understatement.  I won't be watching this show anymore.  

Where are the images?

• Love 1

So is Trace a constable too?  Wouldn't the sheriff's office have an issue with of his two constables attending a rally that escalated into something more?

Apparently the pictures were deleted from Trace's Instagram page. But not before people saw them. I'm sure they will surface at some point.

• Love 3

You can see the photos on reddit by googling redditt and lawson bates.  That's how I found them.  As long as they weren't in the building, they were just protestors, so I don't think they will suffer any problems from that.

• Love 3

Last summer Lawson's feed was full of "back the blue" posts praying for officers hurt on the line of duty.  But now? Crickets.  

What a hypocrite.  

My money is on a hastily called family meeting telling them to stick to pictures of cute kids.  The UP money is most likely partially supporting Kelly, Gil, and the remaining kids.  I bet the married ones and the working guys were told in no uncertain terms that if the UP money goes they will be expected to pitch in.

• Love 7

Katie is already posting on her instagram stories videos of her making her bridesmaids boxes. She said the wedding is coming sooner than later. I bet she will be marrried by fall before she turns 21 and her groom is still 20. Haha.

• Love 3

Look at the lifestyle on this clan -- Katie, Carlin, Josie have all been posting videos about flying down to Fla. to go wedding dress shopping with Katie. In Carlin's case she jetted off right from Nashville after her brother in law's wedding saying it was a last minute thing. Josie had her baby shower yesterday so she left this morning with Addie and Kelly. I know investment bankers who jet around less than this clan. I mean of course I'm sure this is being filmed for the show so I'm sure all flights are comped and they're crashing with Alyssa for one night or renting an AirBnb. But damn G&K have gotten their kids used to a lifestyle that they just cannot support on their own when the show goes away. Evan and John for example constantly talk about money being tight with young families -- and they're two of the more skilled sons in law earning steady money -- so I'm not thinking that 5 years from now Evan will be like oh sure honey jet off to Fla for the night, we can grab a $400 last minute plane ticket, no problem.

And I know the pandemic is over for many many people but damn these people don't even try -- Addie is in the airport wearing a mask that is 5 sizes too big -- like 3 inch gaps everywhere and the mask itself is so big that it sits below the nose and mouth!? And then breakfast in Fla at Starbucks, Katie is in there with a mask below the nose and Carlin no mask at all. Too bad they've all done IG lives lately and I didn't think about it -- I totally want to ask who in their family is vaccinated. I am betting no one because they're such social media whores that if they were vaccinated, they'd take pictures of themselves getting the shot or holding the vaccine card.

• Love 5

From her Instagram stories it looks like Josie turned around and flew back home after the wedding dress shopping trip was over.  That’s a lot in one day for someone 30+ weeks pregnant, traveling with an 18 month old.  
I was under the impression that air travel was frowned upon in the last couple of months of pregnancy.

• Useful 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

From her Instagram stories it looks like Josie turned around and flew back home after the wedding dress shopping trip was over.  That’s a lot in one day for someone 30+ weeks pregnant, traveling with an 18 month old.  
I was under the impression that air travel was frowned upon in the last couple of months of pregnancy.

Since when did the Bateses ever pay attention to regulations/guidelines/suggestions? 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Thing is she needs to pack these trips in there because they really only get to do this stuff when they have one kid and up until the time they are pregnant with kid #2. After that they miss out on these "fun" things because they are stuck at home with their blessings -- i.e. Whit, Erin, and Tori didn't attend. Though let's be honest Addallee was brought along as just the babysitter for Alyssa's 4 kids + I assume at some point in the day between dress shops they may have dropped off Willow and Layla too for naps etc. We didn't see Addy at any of the dress shops or in any of those pictures, not even at Starbucks with them in the morning. They all wanted a fun day out so they dumped their kids on their 15 year old sister who likely had no way to say no as she was probably pressured by Kelly about how it'll be sooooo fun to be in Fla for the day and she could sit out by Alyssa's pool blah blah -- with 6 kids who don't properly swim and like 5 of them are in diapers so she basically fed and changed them all day. So since she was minding 4-6 kids, Whit, Erin and Tori could have bullied Ellie and Callie into minding their 9 kids so they could have gone too . . . . Though really we don't see them doing that, after both kids are here outside of mom's body, the fun stops.

At least this is the last sister wedding for a stretch. It'll be a few years before Addie and Ellie's weddings and reality is those shopping trips etc. will just be Addie/Ellie/Callie as all the other sisters and sisters in law will be tied down to multiple babies by then.

And yeah I'm not sure someone who is over 30 weeks pregnant and on drugs for a clotting disorder should really be flying around for 4 hrs in the same day. I mean this isn't like I'm a trial attorney and need to fly down to Fla. to take a deposition and fly back the same night. It's freaking wedding dress shopping!?

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I noticed Addallee was missing in the photos. Par for the course I guess, but that is still a shitty way to treat her.

Yeah I kind of felt bad for her. I mean they expect shitty treatment in this family so NBD but really to make a 15 year old catch a 9-10 am flight to Orlando and a 6 pm flight back and she gets to do NOTHING while she's there except babysit 4-6 kids, while you go out to Sbux, multiple dress shops etc. and she sits home changing your kids' diapers, just seems mean. 

I mean hiring an effing babysitter since you people want to live large and jet off on shopping trips!? But reality is in my area, babysitters charge about $15 for 1-2 kids; I'm in a high cost of living area but no way a babysitter in Orlando is charging less than $15 for watching 4-6 kids, when 5 are in diapers and 1 is an infant and there are 2-3 toddlers. Hell a solo babysitter probably wouldn't even take that job and make require that you hire 2 people. So $15 for an 8 hr day = $120 and for 2 babysitters that's $240. Nah we ain't paying that, just bring Addie and pay her nothing, that's cheaper bc UPTv is going to buy her ticket anyway. Win win. Who cares if it's unfair to the teenager.

I also don't see the point of making Addie rush back same day? Maybe she needed to get back to make dinner, do the boys' laundry and raise the rest of G&K's kids since Kelly is making herself comfortable in Orlando. But really she just did you a favor. Let her stay in Fla a few days; sure she'd likely have to help Alyssa watch her kids but at least she wouldn't be doing EVERYTHING and she could have time to lay out by the pool, hit up Sbux with Alyssa etc.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 5