Type keyword(s) to search

Bringing Up Bates In The Media

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, floridamom said:

How would I watch these cancelled episodes of BUB?

Download Tubi, it’s free and you don’t have to create an account unless you want to track your progress (go back where you stopped watching).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Who was the idiot in the trunk of Nathan’s and Esther’s getaway car? 

I must have  missed that thank goodness. These Bates boys are so juvenile. They probably would get a kick out of putting a whoopee cushion in the groom's chair right before he sat down.  

• Like 7
(edited)

Finally watching this season (yay!).

I feel bad for Josie getting sidelined during Katie's wedding planning. Carlin was just bulldozing everyone to make sure she was center stage in Katie's life. 

I can't get a handle on Lawson and Tiffany. I agree their chemistry is better on the show than social media, but he comes across more like an impatient dad than a fiance. They're always going to be one of those couples I don't quite get. 

Zach was so funny when he joked Lawson had to sell his soul to afford Tiff's ring. 

Tori has such beautiful children. 

I know I sound like such a snob for saying this, but I don't get the fuss over Alyssa's house? I mean, it's nice, but generic, and the kids' bedroom furniture is cheap looking. 

When Katie was trying on her dress, it seemed like Alyssa was genuinely invested in Katie looking her best while Carlin was just being loud and obnoxious. And of course Kelly just sat on her ass being totally useless. 🙄

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 8
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Absolom said:

What the Duggars and Bateses don't get generally is that there is nothing wrong with formal hair if you're wearing a formal gown.  It all matches better.  

Is Lawson perpetually flat in singing?  

He's beyond flat in singing. He's concave. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 10
52 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Zach was so funny when he joked Lawson had to sell his soul to afford Tiff's ring.  

I know I sound like such a snob for saying this, but I don't get the fuss over Alyssa's house? I mean, it's nice, but generic, and the kids' bedroom furniture is cheap looking. 

Zach sold his truck (now his grandpa sedan makes sense) and gun to buy Whitney’s ring. Lawson had nothing, not even talent to sell. I’d be wondering the same. I’m not a jewelry person. How much would a 1.7 carat cost?

To get the appeal of Alyssa’s house you to have to walk a mile in the Bates 19 shoes. I think first and foremost is the pool. It’s Florida and they are common. But that has not been the B19 experience. A lot of those kids remember eating meager portions and going hungry.

Alyssa’s house is also clean, not crowded, well organized, and there isn’t the 24/7 chaos the B19 are still experiencing when at the Big House. It’s what they wished their lazy, grifting parents had provided.

• Like 12
  • Useful 2
(edited)

The cost depends on the quality of diamond, but I'm guessing 15k-ish? Did the store mention if it was lab grown or a natural stone? Because lab grown diamonds are cheaper. I imagine Lawson got a discount in exchange for promoting the jewelry store. 

I'm watching Katie at Renee's and I couldn't understand her freaking out over the back of the dress. I didn't notice a difference between the version she got and the one she tried on. It was definitely way too big, though.  It's a shame they couldn't make it work, although the dress she ended up with was nice. 

Also, the updo Josie did during the trial run was classy and gorgeous. I can't believe Katie didn't go with it. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 7

Were there only six episodes the last season? 

Addie and Ellie wanted to do the filmed, staged, embarrassing, purity (promise ring my arse) ring  performance together. When Callie said she wouldn’t be surprised if they had a double wedding Ellie and Addie were quick to say no in unison. 

• Like 2
On 6/18/2023 at 9:16 PM, Heathen said:

I'm watching the new episode now (thanks, Tubi). These people are so performative and artificial, I'm almost embarrassed for them. I would be if they weren't so irritating. The fake bro hug between Nathan BB and Trace FF -- give me a break. How many takes did that require? 

Esther's wedding dress is ugly. 

Oh boy, can you tell which parent Nathan takes after. 

Does Trace have any expression setting besides "vapid"? 

Checked out the new eps in Tubi.  Thank y'all for the heads up!  I think Carlin is manic.  Nathan has a high voice that doesn't match his looks.  Canned Ham is a great name for him.  The group is very performative and artificial!  Trace looks very rodent like and I would expect him to be a dick.  That's all I got so far.

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
10 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Checked out the new eps in Tubi.  Thank y'all for the heads up!  I think Carlin is manic.  Nathan has a high voice that doesn't match his looks.  Canned Ham is a great name for him.  The group is very performative and artificial!  Trace looks very rodent like and I would expect him to be a dick.  That's all I got so far.

I binged watched the season and I wanted to bang my head against the wall. Carlin is so freaking annoying. I can't imagine being around someone like that for more than twenty minutes. Maybe that's why Whit doesn't mind that Carlin's hardly at the Boutique. She probably drives everyone bonkers the days she comes in. 

Nathan as Canned Ham. My heart can't take it. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Katie's dress has been a big topic of discussion on the sub-Reddit because no one can figure out what went wrong. When she tried it on at Miss Renee's, it didn't look like any alterations had been done, but she kept referring to it as "messed up," like the Florida boutique botched it. The whole thing was so confusing. I think she bought the dress on a whim, even though it wasn't the style she wanted, and ended up with a serious case of buyer's remorse. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Somehow she expected a dress bought to a size and that had to be sized up because of one of her measurements (I'm guessing her waist) to magically fit perfectly when delivered.  She was simply being dim or ignorant or extraordinarily naive.  There is also I think a huge bit of buyer's remorse when she saw it again and realized how little back it actually had.  

• Like 5

Katie's "bad" dress was beautiful in my opinion. So elegant and looked great on her. I don't know what her problem was other than maybe she wanted a panel on the sheer sides and some of the back. Wedding dresses usually need more than one alteration....so what was her problem? She never stated just what was wrong with this wedding gown.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Katie's "bad" dress was beautiful in my opinion. So elegant and looked great on her. I don't know what her problem was other than maybe she wanted a panel on the sheer sides and some of the back. Wedding dresses usually need more than one alteration....so what was her problem? She never stated just what was wrong with this wedding gown.

My guess is that her idiot parents put a lot of pressure on her so that she wouldn't show so much skin. Like Josie's wedding dress. Kelly -- whether real or scripted -- was over the top about Josie's original dress and how "revealing" it was. It was perfectly modest! 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

More thoughts courtesy of Tubi: 

If "oh my WORD" were a clue in a drinking game, I'd be drunk by now. 

Also, was Josie's wedding not actually shown? I was looking for that episode, but Tubi skips over it. 

• Useful 2
11 minutes ago, Heathen said:

More thoughts courtesy of Tubi: 

If "oh my WORD" were a clue in a drinking game, I'd be drunk by now. 

Also, was Josie's wedding not actually shown? I was looking for that episode, but Tubi skips over it. 

Josie got married in an earlier season. She already had kids by this lost season. 

Do you mean Katie? 

10 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Josie got married in an earlier season. She already had kids by this lost season. 

Do you mean Katie? 

No, I don't mean this season. I'm watching season 8, which is Josie's wedding, not Katie's. 

(edited)

I think season 8 skipped a few episodes like 6 and 7. It went from episode 5 when Josie was having her dress altered and looking for the apartment  to episode 8 with some stupid newly wed game. Josie's wedding was shown in season 8. I don't know why these 2 episoes with the wedding  were left out.  

Edited by 65mickey
  • Useful 1

Katie’s dress—I couldn’t figure out what happened either. When she tried it on in Florida, she seemed fine with the fact that it needed alterations. Then she had a meltdown at Miss Renee’s. I don't know why she didn’t wait for Renee to at least try to adjust it. She’s seen Renee do great things for a bunch of the other sisters dresses (wedding and bridesmaids). And it must be nice to have “we’ll just buy another dress” money. I’d feel bad if it were my kid, but wouldn’t want to spend the $ on a completely new dress. 
I liked both her dresses but the first one was so pretty & sparkly. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/21/2023 at 3:11 PM, Heathen said:

My guess is that her idiot parents put a lot of pressure on her so that she wouldn't show so much skin. Like Josie's wedding dress. Kelly -- whether real or scripted -- was over the top about Josie's original dress and how "revealing" it was. It was perfectly modest! 

This! Kelly kept going on and on about how the dress wasn't what she wanted, and I'm sure that meant it wasn't the dress that Kelly wanted, not Katie. Katie still seemed really happy about it, and just worried about the fit. I'm sure that going home with that dress to Gilvin only intensified the pressure on her that it was the "wrong" dress. Her buckets of tears at the Renee's place that seemed out of nowhere felt like it came from worrying about what kind of place she could get the dress to so mom and dad wouldn't be mad at it for having so many eye traps, and knew that the number of modesty panels required would seriously fug that dress up.  Her second dress was boring (although better than a lot of fundie dresses) and her first dress was beautiful, and she looked so much better in it. 

ETA: Modesty panels. The death of many a fundie gown.

ETA2: Katie, not Josie. Derp

Edited by estellasmum
  • Like 10
(edited)

I found the missing Balka-wedding episode on Amazon Prime. I got a free trial of Up to watch it, because no way am I paying these bozos. Anyway, most noteworthy thing -- did I seriously just watch Evan Stewart getting his nose hairs waxed on TV? 

Edited by Heathen
  • Mind Blown 4
3 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I found the missing Balla-wedding episode on Amazon Prime. I got a free trial of Up to watch it, because no way am I paying these bozos. Anyway, most noteworthy thing -- did I seriously just watch Evan Stewart getting his nose hairs waxed on TV? 

Wow, I blacked THAT out of the memory banks. 😳

• Like 2

I'm watching the past seasons that I've mostly never seen before. I'm now on S10, E4 -- the episode in which Nathan brings Esther home for Christmas, and three Bates couples announce their pregnancies and/or genders. All I have to say is that Kelly is a damn caricature "NAY-ow," and she embarrasses me. Oh my WORD! Also, it's clear that a lot of the younger Bateses have checked out and are not interested in the scripted, edited, performative sideshow. This means you, Josie. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Where can I find the Season 11 thread? I don't see it here. Thank you.

I don't know if this is going to work or not. This site is being very tricky right now.

• Like 2