Type keyword(s) to search

Bringing Up Bates In The Media

• Start Topic

On 1/19/2022 at 4:39 PM, cereality said:

ALL the sons OTOH are effed. Sure Trace/Jackson/Warden/Isiah can lay tile or rip up carpet but they all have champagne tastes on a beer budget. If they want a house like John's or to be able to travel all the time, they need to hit up a trade school and get licensed in something which can take several years + cost tuition money -- money which would've been easier to come up with the show. Same with Z - bet he wishes now he hadn't quit [or get kicked out of] the PD where he had a salary + benefits. Whit's clothes selling business may go the way of social media income - dwindling over time. Sure he has contractor skills and can do foundation work, as well as dry wall but excuse me if I have a crack in my foundation, am I really going to hire a hobbyist or a licensed contractor??

wonder if someone thought far enough to put $$ aside for Jud  & Jed ? 

Ole Jackson- are you still friends with the military recruiting office? Steady paycheck twice a month , plus benefits ..

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Lawson’s getting married in San Diego.

I live nearby and it’s not an affordable area to stay for multiple families with a zillion children. 

Plus, they will need to rent a few super large passenger vans, with car seats and infant seats for all those children. 

I’m guessing they’ll reach out to members of the bride’s church for some type of help. 🤨 Good luck…

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/22/2022 at 8:22 AM, ginger90 said:

If the date posted is correct, they’re getting married on a Thursday. 

that's one way to cut costs ... off day of the week for a wedding

• Love 4

Late to the game but agree there is definitely something up (no pun intended) with that cancellation. I smell a stinky scandal brewing. No way does a network put that much money and resources into a season and then pull it right before it's due to air simply because of a focus shift in programming. If that was solely the case, BUB would have just been moved to a lesser time slot for the last season.  If ratings were the issue, it would have never gotten renewed when they looked at the previous season's numbers, and there certainly wasn't a lack of content. This dropped season likely included 2 weddings, one Italy engagement, 2 pregnancies and gender announcements, 3 June births, and possibly even Erin's "miracle" baby.

The network's announcement is both vague and non-sensical. It almost implies that the kids are older so the show has lost its origional focus. Except this isn't a sitcom where the teens and younger children actors/actresses are all grown up and the show is lacking in "cute" shots/scenes/smiles while losing their targeted family demographics.  There was no last-ditch effort with Cousin Oliver that failed and now the only option is cancellation. 😁  This family will never run out of babies and children for the cameras.

The Netflix special is a year or more out. Even if there's something new and particularly juicy in that about the Bates, UP has plenty of time to air/dump the last season and still get out relatively unscathed. I'm not really convinced it was the Floyd comment either. And the Insurrection was over a year ago.  Unless the Bates boys had a bigger involvement and federal charges are about to come down on them, I'm leaning towards something that hasn't broke yet. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Useful 2
  • Love 18
12 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

Late to the game but agree there is definitely something up (no pun intended) with that cancellation. I smell a stinky scandal brewing. No way does a network put that much money and resources into a season and then pull it right before it's due to air simply because of a focus shift in programming. If that was solely the case, BUB would have just been moved to a lesser time slot for the last season.  If ratings were the issue, it would have never gotten renewed when they looked at the previous season's numbers, and there certainly wasn't a lack of content. This dropped season likely included 2 weddings, one Italy engagement, 2 pregnancies and gender announcements, 3 June births, and possibly even Erin's "miracle" baby.

The network's announcement is both vague and non-sensical. It almost implies that the kids are older so the show has lost its origional focus. Except this isn't a sitcom where the teens and younger children actors/actresses are all grown up and the show is lacking in "cute" shots/scenes/smiles while losing their targeted family demographics.  There was no last-ditch effort with Cousin Oliver that failed and now the only option is cancellation. 😁  This family will never run out of babies and children for the cameras.

The Netflix special is a year or more out. Even if there's something new and particularly juicy in that about the Bates, UP has plenty of time to air/dump the last season and still get out relatively unscathed. I'm not really convinced it was the Floyd comment either. And the Insurrection was over a year ago.  Unless the Bates boys had a bigger involvement and federal charges are about to come down on them, I'm leaning towards something that hasn't broke yet. 

If Up was cancelling the Bates' because they wanted to have more scripted content, then they would've had said scripted content in the can and ready to go when they announced the cancellation.  There is no point in cancelling a show which is already filmed and ready to air to replace it with shows that, as far as we know, still need to be written, casted and filmed.  No way there is anything ready to replace BUB for at least a few months, probably longer, which makes it unlikely that wanting to change direction in their programming is the reason TPTB canceled the show.

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

If Up was cancelling the Bates' because they wanted to have more scripted content, then they would've had said scripted content in the can and ready to go when they announced the cancellation.  There is no point in cancelling a show which is already filmed and ready to air to replace it with shows that, as far as we know, still need to be written, casted and filmed.  No way there is anything ready to replace BUB for at least a few months, probably longer, which makes it unlikely that wanting to change direction in their programming is the reason TPTB canceled the show.

Yeah, that's what I meant by their official announcement was vague and non-sensical. It doesn't add up.  Even when networks change or shift focus, it's often more gradual as they weave in new shows that fit the change they are going for, while still keeping the ones that have established viewers. Kinda like testing the waters. 

• Love 6

The UPtv explanation was all over the place and poorly written. Almost like someone received news and quickly put out a statement to get ahead of something. Yet here we are a week later with no news.

Maybe 1/6 pic of the Bates brothers from inside the Capitol was sent to the network.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

If they call the show "scripted" and not reality, the pay changes and the laws governing the show.  The kids couldn't be filled all the time and they would have to be paid.  No way would the Bates/Duggars or those others want that.  Opens doors to government that they do not want.

• Useful 3
52 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

f they call the show "scripted" and not reality, the pay changes and the laws governing the show.  The kids couldn't be filled all the time and they would have to be paid.  No way would the Bates/Duggars or those others want that.  Opens doors to government that they do not want.

UP is talking about a completely different show and type of programming.  They were never planning to shift the Bates show to something else. 

• Love 4

Maybe enough people complained to UP about cancelling a show that has racists.  I did, there had to be others.  

I don't really care the reason UP gave for cancelling them.  I'm just glad they were and no longer have a platform to show their "perfect, god loving, hypocritical family". 

• Love 3

Without going into too much speculative detail...

Jackson Bates was recently doing a huge construction reno with some Duggar brothers for Jessa. He recently posted a Lawson-like photo and now he's missing the big CO ski trip, travelling through New Jersey with Gil's college friend.

...and the show was abruptly cancelled.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Without going into too much speculative detail...

Jackson Bates was recently doing a huge construction reno with some Duggar brothers for Jessa. He recently posted a Lawson-like photo and now he's missing the big CO ski trip, travelling through New Jersey with Gil's college friend.

...and the show was abruptly cancelled.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there wasn't some sort of revelation that Kelly and Gil don't want to be part of the show and they refused to film something and UP cut them loose.  They're as bad as the Duggars when it comes to pretending their lives are perfect and everyone lives a pure and godly life by their standards.

And, of course, UP is known for its conservative Christian POV and if said revelation is not in keeping with the particular mores of the network, it could be that UP was equally concerned with keeping it out of the news and canceling the show rather than address it was their choice, too.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Absolom said:

UP is talking about a completely different show and type of programming.  They were never planning to shift the Bates show to something else. 

They may be now but they spent a lot of money filming the Bates and advertising Season 11 starting in Feb.  Something happened to cause UP to yank it and lose all that money.  I think it is part of the Josh Duggar's trial and all the media attention on Gil Bates and the beliefs of IBLP.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

They may be now but they spent a lot of money filming the Bates and advertising Season 11 starting in Feb.  Something happened to cause UP to yank it and lose all that money.  I think it is part of the Josh Duggar's trial and all the media attention on Gil Bates and the beliefs of IBLP.

I know that and nothing I've said negated that.  We are perhaps talking at cross purposes.  

• Love 1

I dont know what is going on...but owning a salon and being in the beauty industry for 35 years (retired and on to a new career)..when I see some the younger males Bate's my Gaydar antenna goes off...

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Dimi1 said:

I dont know what is going on...but owning a salon and being in the beauty industry for 35 years (retired and on to a new career)..when I see some the younger males Bate's my Gaydar antenna goes off...

I get that feeling about Evan.  Just something about him....

• Love 3

Happy New Year !!

I'm just popping in to see the latest news on the Bates -really wanted to know the grandkids count. And who is winning b/w the Bates and the Duggars.

Prayers out to Kelly on her mother's passing. Anyone else pass since they have been off the air? Any news on if another network is going to pick them up - or spin off with just the kid-adults like the Duggers had for a hot minute?

For some reason, I feel sad that the girls are consistently popping out babies. I love children and sex - but the thought of constantly doing the latter just to have the former - no..

How's Michela? Any moves on doing something medically for pregnancy, adoption or has she really thrown herself into her nursing career ? I don't understand why one of her sisters (or any one else) can't be her surrogate?

image.thumb.png.c6b4df43aae4c5ff37727a6ee271cf29.png

I'm happy that Alyssa finally will get her son, but there has to be some kind of price for this. And I thought Erin heath issues would slow her roll, but I guess I was wrong on that too. I didn't know COVID effected the ovaries..

image.png.2ed7383e76ce241a4cb3f119651726ee.png

https://fundamentalists.fandom.com/wiki/Bates_Grandchildren

Edited by sATL
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Is there any new information out as to when/where that IBLP/Gothard TV documentary will be aired? I would love to watch it and learn some more about their beliefs.

I assume on Amazon Prime. Last I saw it was to be released late 2022, early 2023.

• Useful 3
(edited)

For those of you who don't follow the Duggar threads, it sounds like the documentary is happening this summer but will feature the Duggars and no other families.

I believe its called Happy Shiny People or Shiny Happy People.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, DaisyMine said:

It’s on Amazon Prime now and beyond shocking. What these people do to their children, even to infants to get them to be submissive, is horrifying. And, as Cousin Amy said in the documentary, “the 12 yr prison sentence is not nearly enough. He (oldest Dugger son...don’t want to type his name)should be in for life.” 

Sorry for jumping in…this is my first post ever although I have been reading for years, but I just watched the 4 part Docu Series over the weekend…it will make you beyond angry …and physically ill. 🤬🤢😥

Horrifying is so true. Even though most of the info the docuseries is not new, it takes on a different twist seeing survivors speaking out.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaisyMine said:

It’s on Amazon Prime now and beyond shocking. What these people do to their children, even to infants to get them to be submissive, is horrifying. And, as Cousin Amy said in the documentary, “the 12 yr prison sentence is not nearly enough. He (oldest Dugger son...don’t want to type his name)should be in for life.” 

Sorry for jumping in…this is my first post ever although I have been reading for years, but I just watched the 4 part Docu Series over the weekend…it will make you beyond angry …and physically ill. 🤬🤢😥

Welcome!!!!!

Amy did not bug me in this show.  Mind blown!

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

Dillon did mock Michelle's stupid baby-talk voice; that made him more tolerable for me.

His body language when he said “it still creeps me out” made me laugh.

He introduced himself as the support husband. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

I have to agree that Amy's husband went up a couple of points in my book when he described Michelle's stupid baby-talk voice and how he dislikes it. That remark he made was worth watching 4 hours of this documentary.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Apparently the season that didn’t air is now available on tubi. Never heard of tubi. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Tubi is great!  Just get the app from the App Store and start watching!  You don’t have to set up an account or anything.  It costs nothing, and it’s completely hassle free!

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

Watched the first two episodes.

Carlin and Kelly were BESIDE themselves that Law was buying a 1.7 carat ring to propose to Tiff with. You could tell both thought it was too much though they didn't say it. Carlin goes on about how Tiff is such a small girl [uh so what - it's not like a 200 pound ring?] how would she manage such a big ring. And at one point she turns to Law and squeals - are you made of money?? She acted totally jealous, as Law matter of factly was like - no I am not made of money. Gotta give it to Law he is good at saving money, probably because he has been doing it since he was a 14 yr old paying for his family's groceries. Imagine the life he could have if he actually worked and brought home regular pay checks every 2 weeks. In a different life, he'd be middle management someplace with a sizeable 401k.

Whit was at least nice about the ring and was like I'm impressed and Z said the same.

Z&W had the kids praying for a farm 🙄. IDK maybe the kids decided to pray on their own for a farm or it was Whit putting in their heads bc Z told them "well you don't know the market that God and I are dealing with so keep praying . . . " But then of course Z has to say God showed him up and blessed them with a 17 acre farm. 🙄

On camera Law and Tiff's relationship doesn't look passionate but honestly it doesn't look as disinterested as it does now via social media. It strikes me a lot like how Brandon was. Law likes her, makes the right overtures of having his arm around her, being romantic, saying nice things to her all the time (more than Brandon did as they were courting traditionally), and likes her parents and fits in with them nicely. Feels like he picked her because the life situation/family worked for him more than because he was smitten with HER. Honestly their lives would be much better if he just moved to SD and was around her family. He likes them and they accept him - far far more than the Bates accept Tiff. Yeah SD is expensive so he'd have to work but overall I think they'd be happier.

Wow Z was really starting to pack on the pounds -  by the time this season filmed he had left the police force.

And Carlin's mental health was SOOOO much better then than now. She was pregnant with Zade while filming this season but not showing yet. IDK why they rushed to have #2 though, she clearly was not ready mentally. She says how motherhood is soooo wonderful blah blah "but that's because I have 1 child, now pregnant with #2, it's scary." 

Josie 100% is not into having kids. Yes she loves her existing kids but she goes on about how going from 1 to 2 babies has been such a huge jump, it'll be a while before she goes for #3 or #4. But she's was convincing exactly no one as she went on about trying to enjoy the process, enjoy this season blah blah.

Tori and Bobby seem built to be parents. She had just had Charlotte who was a few months old and she - with no resentment says - she used to wake up and have coffee first thing and now she wakes up, does everything for the kids until their nap time and THEN has her coffee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

I like Zach. Carlin HAS to be in everyone’s business—always, as is Evan. He’s everywhere. 
I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again, for the most part the Bates 19 are a more attractive bunch than the Duggars. You would think that with 19 kids there would be more chances of better looking kids, but nope. 
Why did they have Layla wearing that stupid Amelia Earhart aviator hat in every episode? That was not cute.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 1/21/2022 at 9:00 PM, sATL said:

wonder if someone thought far enough to put $$ aside for Jud  & Jed ? 

Ole Jackson- are you still friends with the military recruiting office? Steady paycheck twice a month , plus benefits ..

Jackson is engaged to be married (October, IIRC)   and moved to Florida building docks. No more military dreams for him. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
43 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jackson is engaged to be married (October, IIRC)   and moved to Florida building docks. No more military dreams for him. 

Because no one serving in the military is married. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 6/17/2023 at 4:55 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

He actually mentioned that in one of the lost episodes. He said when he broke his shoulder (arm?), it changed his plans. You can’t serve with any pins in your arm and it would be some time before he could even think about getting them removed, so he was working/learning construction  and he liked it. I’m assuming in the meantime, he met his now-fiancée and changed his plans again. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
(edited)

I'm watching the new episode now (thanks, Tubi). These people are so performative and artificial, I'm almost embarrassed for them. I would be if they weren't so irritating. The fake bro hug between Nathan BB and Trace FF -- give me a break. How many takes did that require? 

Esther's wedding dress is ugly. 

Oh boy, can you tell which parent Nathan takes after. 

Does Trace have any expression setting besides "vapid"? 

Edited by Heathen
  • Like 2
  • LOL 6

More thoughts courtesy of Tubi: 

How typical of a fundie woman to make a speech -- at someone else's event -- all about her and her childbearing abilities. Here's looking at you and your 36-hour labor, Josie. Life is not a pissing contest. 

Kelly Jo and Gil, or their scripting and editing, made it sound like Katie was dying rather than just moving to another state. Katie is blessed (and I HATE that term) to have her in-laws. If she has any sense at all, she'll cleave to them and leave her idiot parents in the dust except for unavoidable family occasions. 

Dang, she wore a ton of makeup at her wedding. it put ten years on her. She should have worn her hair up, especially since the show made such a big deal out of it earlier, and it would have looked better up. 

Lawson, for the love of gawd, stop singing. 

• Like 14

What the Duggars and Bateses don't get generally is that there is nothing wrong with formal hair if you're wearing a formal gown.  It all matches better.  

Is Lawson perpetually flat in singing?  

• Like 9
13 hours ago, Heathen said:

Lawson, for the love of gawd, stop singing.

My God that's the truth. When he croaked out I Love You Truly before Katie walked down the aisle I had to mute the TV. He is absolutely tone deaf. I don't know why he keeps trying to have a career as a singer. He should not have tried to sing at the wedding in front of the Clarks. The Bates should have been humilated. But I guess all of the Bates who marry are required to have Lawson "sing"at their wedding.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5