Type keyword(s) to search

My 600 Pound Media: Big Fat Stories of Hope and Huge Failures

• Start Topic

I can't wait until this comes on. My sister thinks it's weird that I watch these shows, but it is so interesting. 

Im right there with you...I am between loving the show & wanting to smash my tv in a 1000 pieces watching some of them.

• Love 2

Penny has some posts up on her Twitter about the filming. It's not terribly spoilery. 

I checked it out and am completely blown away that Penny found someone to add her to a list of "uplifting" stories.  Even in that story though, they didn't sound very convinced, stating "she reported that she was able to shed more than 200 pounds after filming wrapped" (emphasis mine).  They might as well have added "even if no one on the planet can tell, and no one believes it" or else why not say "she shed more than 200 pounds" without the "she reported".

I also find it funny how hard she is trying to make it seem like she has lost tons of weight and is active now through her Twitter posts.  Show of hands - how many believe she was out all night with her son for Halloween?  At the very least, it seems clear she wasn't walking all night. She also takes a picture from a terrible angle with her chin smashed down on her chest because she's likely laying in bed and compares it to a picture where she's fully made up with her chin sticking out and her cheeks sucked in to show off her weight-loss.  It does look as if she has lost a little in the face, but a lot of times that is where weight-loss shows first.  I lost about 70 lbs last year and trust me, I don't have to use camera tricks and angles for it to show in photos... 

ETA: I am also very interested in her comment "The production company spent the 19 20 21st filming additional footage not happy with the amount of scripted reading I had to do we'll see".  Scripted Reading?  I can't believe she would agree to that after claiming she was edited badly in her episode.  Is she complaining in advance because she knows she is going to look bad again and needs an excuse?  Wonder if she'll refuse to get on the scale for her episode?

Edited by mrsjoe
  • Love 4

Ugh, just checked out her Twitter thanks to the link above. Bitch is in major damage control mode today. Love her insistence that Dr. Now shouldn't have even been on her episode. No, it should be all about you, Penny, and your sainthood, your work for the church, impeccable parenting and healthy habits that are an example to us all. Some random doctor has no right to be criticizing you. Oh my god, I hate that woman!

• Love 4

She is claiming on Twitter that the cake mix Edgar was buying was for Liam's birthday cake. She says she is below 400 pounds, but how would she know since she does weigh herself. She also posted some pics that show her weight loss "journey". She says she fits into a 3x now. 

From Penny's twitter page, posted four hours ago 

One thing I want to say about couponing I do it to save for Liam college &church pantry donation. I plan meals ahead a month it keeps me...

She doesn't finish the sentence, just lets it trail off.

Penny's Twitters make my head spin.

Do you remember seeing "greens" on her card table when she made that sandwich if hers? I didnt.

From Penny's twitter page, posted four hours ago 

She doesn't finish the sentence, just lets it trail off.

She is forgetting to write a simple TBC. They are continued above the one you read. Somewhere in that mess.

What got me was her tweeting to herself as she answered, in a few of those. The way she put 140 characters together is mind blogging at times.

When Dr. N came on the screen talking a lot for Penny, I first thought she had died.

Did you read the article that was written in a local paper? It is a year or so old.

http://www.cecildaily.com/features/misc_features/article_318044e8-04d1-592e-b87e-700a8952822b.html?mode=jqm

^^ Wait. Stop every damn thing. This article says she was 631 pounds when she got pregnant. How in the hell does one find a 631 pound vagina? Even Penny said SHE couldn't get to her vagina to WASH it before the surgery. Was she getting laid in the Pee-Poop bed?

I have to stop typing right now. Far too early in the am and I'm throwing up in my own mouth.

• Love 9

Hold on--the article actually says she was 631 when she gave birth, so who knows how much she weighed when she got pregnant. I am not a historian of Penny, but I have the idea that her immobility and the bed came after Liam arrived.

Where did she give birth? Home Depot?  with cranes, pullies, hydraulics? Clean up in aisle 2

• Love 8

Hold on--the article actually says she was 631 when she gave birth, so who knows how much she weighed when she got pregnant. I am not a historian of Penny, but I have the idea that her immobility and the bed came after Liam arrived.

She was smaller than 631 when she went to see Dr Now and was bedridden. I don't believe for a second that she wasn't bedridden before Liam's birth. Poor Edgar, had to get him some on the pee poop bed.

• Love 2

She was smaller than 631 when she went to see Dr Now and was bedridden. I don't believe for a second that she wasn't bedridden before Liam's birth. Poor Edgar, had to get him some on the pee poop bed.

The article seems to say that before the birth, she only moved around in a wheelchair and then after went to the bed.  Considering how she acted as if just getting into and sitting in a wheelchair was a huge accomplishment, I can't imagine she actually moved around in one that much.

I still can't get over how she claims to have lost so much weight at the same time she says she never weighs herself. There is no way I believe that if she really weighed 398 like she claims in the article that she wouldn't hop on a scale and have it filmed as sort of an F* you to all the people saying she hasn't lost any weight.

I also wonder how she got pregnant at 38 and 600 lbs, considering how many women struggle in their late 30's. Not to mention the logistics of it all. I can't even imagine what Edgar went through during that pregnancy!

ETA: Also thought it was interesting that the article basically confirms what we all suspected that she was living off "disability retirement", resulting from her "lung infection". I'm guessing it must be paid for by her former employer because it seems like she would still qualify for government disability in her current condition, but she seems terrified of Dr. Now proving that she didn't need the oxygen. 

Edited by mrsjoe
  • Love 1

The article seems to say that before the birth, she only moved around in a wheelchair and then after went to the bed.  Considering how she acted as if just getting into and sitting in a wheelchair was a huge accomplishment, I can't imagine she actually moved around in one that much.

I still can't get over how she claims to have lost so much weight at the same time she says she never weighs herself. There is no way I believe that if she really weighed 398 like she claims in the article that she wouldn't hop on a scale and have it filmed as sort of an F* you to all the people saying she hasn't lost any weight.

I also wonder how she got pregnant at 38 and 600 lbs, considering how many women struggle in their late 30's. Not to mention the logistics of it all. I can't even imagine what Edgar went through during that pregnancy!

ETA: Also thought it was interesting that the article basically confirms what we all suspected that she was living off "disability retirement", resulting from her "lung infection". I'm guessing it must be paid for by her former employer because it seems like she would still qualify for government disability in her current condition, but she seems terrified of Dr. Now proving that she didn't need the oxygen. 

I am not sure I want to have that image of "baby making" in my head, however the first thing that popped into my head is a turkey baster. Based on her love for food and wanting a child with Edger.

What got me was the difference in oxygen once Dr. Now asked that her portable be turned off. It was only 3 point difference. That is it! It was 98 then dropped down to 95 and he told her that HER oxygen level was higher than HIS!!

• Love 2

I wonder if you can get addicted to oxygen? I know when I am breathing really clean air it's really calming. I could see how you could want that feeling all the time.

With Penny though...I'm guessing it's a prop. See how sick I am? I'm on oxygen, bitches! So don't be asking me to stand up, exert myself, or stop eating crap!

• Love 2

I wonder if you can get addicted to oxygen? I know when I am breathing really clean air it's really calming. I could see how you could want that feeling all the time.

With Penny though...I'm guessing it's a prop. See how sick I am? I'm on oxygen, bitches! So don't be asking me to stand up, exert myself, or stop eating crap!

I'm not sure it would be an addiction, but more of your body would end up needing to rely on it more and more. Instead of finding natural ways to get the oxygen into your body. 

The thing about being on oxygen is that it is a horrible pain in the ass. Not being able to breathe is a scary feeling. You'd think that after being told it wasn't necessa, she'd be happy to be rid of it.

I agree with you. Pure oxygen burns at times. The more you wear one of those tubes, it dries out your nostrils, you get nose bleeds, it can give you sores where the piece sits on your upper lip, the tops of your ears hurt, etc. 

What I noticed (watching the show once again) Penny didn't seem to have those signs on her face. No imprint of the tubing resting on her cheeks as she has had to wear it 24/7. Sleep with it even.  (When she is wrestling with her Son, you can see the tubing has fallen down some what) I even looked for some sort of electric box that converts the oxygen in the room, into the oxygen you need for that tubing, around her bed. I couldn't see one. Doesn't mean there WASN'T one, I just did not see one in that tiny space between her bed & the window and her bed & the wall where we see Edgar pull out her walker once. Which made me think she was using the tubing this time as a prop. (During the first show she was on... I seem to remember hearing the sound of oxygen in the room. Until Dr. Now asked for it to be turned off.  Which tells me 2 things... the mic is powerful and/or she had that thing up HIGH.)

Sadly, Penny will always find ways to stay at this stage until she dies.

Edited by lilacgirl
  • Love 1

The thing about being on oxygen is that it is a horrible pain in the ass. Not being able to breathe is a scary feeling. You'd think that after being told it wasn't necessa, she'd be happy to be rid of it.

A normal, non attention seeking, non narcissist would be happy to be rid of it. She's not any of those things so she doesn't want it gone.

Is ARDS something that waxes and wanes in terms of symptoms? Could it be that she has "good days" and "bad days" that require the use of oxygen? I don't know trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.

From the various articles I've read about it, no. Definitely not the way Penny "uses" oxygen. I doubt Dr Now would flat out say she didn't need it if this was the case.

• Love 4

I came across this on Facebook this morning.  https://www.facebook.com/WLSFA/photos/a.268167066544728.83666.143098745718228/1159592027402223/?type=3

Zslaynn looks fantastic!

Interesting that she got a grant for the reconstructive surgery. Good for her for using a skilled plastic surgeon instead of the chop it off way Dr. Now seems to do it, focusing on mobility and not looks. Wonder who the grant was from? TLC? The surgeon in exchange for advertising or the organization who posted perhaps?

Interesting that she got a grant for the reconstructive surgery. Good for her for using a skilled plastic surgeon instead of the chop it off way Dr. Now seems to do it, focusing on mobility and not looks. Wonder who the grant was from? TLC? The surgeon in exchange for advertising or the organization who posted perhaps?

She didn't get the grant from TLC, she got it from a charity that exists to give grants to people for weightloss and reconstructive surgery (WLSFA.org).  I was considering asking my surgeon nominate me for reconstructive surgery (I have lost 155 lbs from bariatric surgery), but I think I want to wait until next year at least.

As I was going through Zslaynn's page to find the name of the organization because I forgot, I came across another great picture.  

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208535481531183&set=a.2376394095919.2142995.1432600756&type=3

Count me in as one who is looking forward to the new season. Keeps me motivated to continue to eat healthy. Plus I like seeing the progress the individual has made after seeing Dr. Now. Hope we don't have too many complete screwups like Penny and Pauline.

• Love 3

I am looking forward to seeing the same.  It is interesting to explore the different personalities and their struggle to accept the relity that very few people get to 600 pounds without overeating. Like the one guy who says he no longer has a life. My first reaction was that happened long before the 600 pounds and was there no one who could have alerted him around 350?

I'm not sure it would be an addiction, but more of your body would end up needing to rely on it more and more. Instead of finding natural ways to get the oxygen into your body.

I agree with you. Pure oxygen burns at times. The more you wear one of those tubes, it dries out your nostrils, you get nose bleeds, it can give you sores where the piece sits on your upper lip, the tops of your ears hurt, etc.

What I noticed (watching the show once again) Penny didn't seem to have those signs on her face. No imprint of the tubing resting on her cheeks as she has had to wear it 24/7. Sleep with it even. (When she is wrestling with her Son, you can see the tubing has fallen down some what) I even looked for some sort of electric box that converts the oxygen in the room, into the oxygen you need for that tubing, around her bed. I couldn't see one. Doesn't mean there WASN'T one, I just did not see one in that tiny space between her bed & the window and her bed & the wall where we see Edgar pull out her walker once. Which made me think she was using the tubing this time as a prop. (During the first show she was on... I seem to remember hearing the sound of oxygen in the room. Until Dr. Now asked for it to be turned off. Which tells me 2 things... the mic is powerful and/or she had that thing up HIGH.)

Sadly, Penny will always find ways to stay at this stage until she dies.

I noticed the same thing, that I didn't see a concentrator, which would be necessary if she were on any long term oxygen therapy. The tanks (pure oxygen) are generally only used for travel or intermittently when you aren't using a concentrator (like cleaning/changing filters). Agree that because I didn't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I have a suspicion that she isn't still on ordered oxygen, and that perhaps she schleps around an empty tank for the attention, but that is just my own speculation.

• Love 1

There is an update special in tlc right now! It's called moments of truth if anyone is looking it up, my guide says 1/6/16 so it's new!

I'm not sure where we are supposed to talk about this episode, but I was a little disapointed that there weren't really any updates.  Also, and this is going to sound mean, but what the heck is up with Melissa?  I guess she was pregnant during her interview, but was she trying to look bad on purpose?  Why didn't they at least put some makeup on her?

• Love 2