Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

On 2/24/2017 at 5:27 PM, Jeeves said:

Oh damn. Am I gonna watch this trainwreck? My better self says no. 

Hell. I'm setting the DVR. My better self is such a boring little twit.

Wait - what??? Is this a real thing?? I thought it was just made up. Seriously?? This is a real show?? 

• Love 1

@auntjess were you talking about Neilson ratings and your DVR?  There are a couple of different ways that Neilson captures ratings, but first they have to hook up lots of devices on your TVs to do this.  Then there is either some kind of button you push to acknowledge that you are watching something or they have a sound recorder that picks up codes in the sound of whatever you are watching and lets them know.  Some DVDs and Netflix movies even have these sound codes.  So no, to my knowledge, if you record something on your DVR and delete it, it doesn't registered that you have watched it.  And I have been told this, but I have heard that if you DVR something, you have to watch it on the same day in order for it to registered for the official ratings for that show.

1 minute ago, notyrmomma said:

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 1

Thanks.
I have U-verse, and the DVR is their's, so I didn't know how/whether they keep tabs.
I usually don't watch things the same day I record them, because I try to watch in order recorded, then I have things that the guys will like when
they're here during spring break, and then I have a permanent stock of Mike Holmes shows, for when there's nothing else to watch, or when I need something to make me forget what's happening.

• Love 2
On 3/7/2017 at 8:39 AM, ethalfrida said:

Has anyone watched Fat. Doctor? Supersized vs Super Skinny? 

Ive watched Fat Doctor on YT. I like it a whole lot better than this show. Its a bit redundant with the surgery every single time but the patients are far more likable. I think it also shows us a bit of how the UK heath system works which I find interesting. 

The docs are kinda yummy too LOL.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, SouthernCross said:

Ive watched Fat Doctor on YT. I like it a whole lot better than this show. Its a bit redundant with the surgery every single time but the patients are far more likable. I think it also shows us a bit of how the UK heath system works which I find interesting. 

The docs are kinda yummy too LOL.

^^^ Me too, as to all of that. I really like the doctors' explanations of the surgeries. I wish M600PL provided equally helpful explanations, but mostly we get a few cryptic words from Dr. Now. I think it would be helpful to know more about each patient's surgery. 

• Love 1

There is now a forum on Supersize vs Superskinny. It would nice if could start some dialogs on the British view of handling obesity, etc. vs the Western over exposure of its patients. Or a dialog, period.

I loved Supersize vs Superskinny! A reason to rewatch! 

I think a big difference between that show, Fat Doctor, and this one is that this one is on TLC who have decided to show it as trash television. They could edit it better while still showing us the failures but they choose not to do that because they want a show of circus sideshow freaks. Still, I watch and try and root for the patients because I realize they are suffering. Very few disgust me, and that is because with or without the excess weight, they are hateful people who have been given an opportunity that many others take full advantage of but refused to do so because change would result in them no longer being a victim and allowing them to be served by their hostages.

• Love 2

I understand quitting eating candy, cake, cookies, and sugar. But why no fruit? Yes, it has sugar, but it's got to be better to eat a crap ton of grapes than a huge piece of cheesecake. 

1 hour ago, Christina said:

I think a big difference between that show, Fat Doctor, and this one is that this one is on TLC who have decided to show it as trash television. They could edit it better while still showing us the failures but they choose not to do that because they want a show of circus sideshow freaks. Still, I watch and try and root for the patients because I realize they are suffering. Very few disgust me, and that is because with or without the excess weight, they are hateful people who have been given an opportunity that many others take full advantage of but refused to do so because change would result in them no longer being a victim and allowing them to be served by their hostages.

I kind of binge-watched Fat Doctor when I first found it on YT, and then caught up later with a few new episodes that had been posted. It was quite awhile ago and I hope my memory isn't too wildly inaccurate.

IIRC, the subjects on Fat Doctor tended to be, even at their heaviest, fairly functional people. Many of them had jobs, spouses, kids, and weren't yet at the bed-bound stage that's become the norm on this show. I can remember at least one woman who was in bed, a lot if not all the time, and all of the patients at the beginning of their episodes were struggling with ordinary daily activities because of their weight. It's just that they generally were much more functional than the bed-bound helpless people we're seeing now on M600PL.

Also IIRC, I think they probably chose patients to be featured on Fat Doctor who had some reasonable probability of success, vs. the TLC trash TV freakshow approach. So, the FD patients certainly had seriously deranged eating habits and addictive behavior around food, but they didn't seem too far gone to respond to some therapy and coaching, and although they struggled to make changes they generally were able to make progress. I don't remember it as all lollipops, unicorns, and rainbows, and I think there were failures. But overall I remember FD as featuring a lot of patients who did succeed at losing weight and improving their lives. 

Your recollection of FD is pretty accurate.  Most of the people on it are in the high 300 to low 500 range so they generally have the ability to move.  One of the interesting things is that in order to get the NHS to pay for the surgery, they have to have demonstrated trying to lose weight in other ways.  Dieting, gyms etc.  There seems to be far more medical intervention before the actual surgery.

I dont know at what point you go from "FD heavy" to "600lb life incapacitated" but there is obviously a point.  Its probably unfair to compare the shows because there is a vast difference between 400 lbs and 600 lbs.   

I have no doubt they have people there of the 600lb life ilk, but I suspect those people are just SOL.  There have been a few people on FD that have been unable to lose enough weight to make the surgery safe so they did not get it.

Edited by SouthernCross
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2016 at 0:48 AM, Gbb said:

I've recently gotten sucked into 600 lb Life and I've been binge-watching (no pun intended) for the last week or two. I've struggled with my weight all of my life, and although I've always woken up and made changes before personal hygiene became an issue, I feel a weird sort of kinship (along with the push-pull of a fascinated, repelled horror). Still and all, it's helping me keep focused on moving more and eating better, so here I am. My question to you guys, after watching what some might say is too many episodes in a row, do you ever find yourself picturing the judgmental eye of the camera there as you wolf down your lunch or order a quick burger at the drive-through? Just me? :)

I rarely eat fast food, if only because I dont drive much and never got into the habit. I watch M600PL for the same reason you do. I never heard someone else say it before. For me, it's a cautionary tale. I think there is some element of morbid fascination for a lot of viewers or else this show wouldn't be in its 5th season. 

• Love 4
On 3/16/2017 at 2:23 PM, OSM Mom said:

I understand quitting eating candy, cake, cookies, and sugar. But why no fruit? Yes, it has sugar, but it's got to be better to eat a crap ton of grapes than a huge piece of cheesecake. 

When it comes to food addiction, you often have to get rid of all sugars for awhile. It's similar to a newly sober person not taking cold medicine with alcohol in it.

• Love 5

I can only imagine that clothes are very limited for people this size. But what's with all the sleeveless shirts and dresses? I am not skinny by any means and I am too self conscious to go sleeveless. I am much more comfortable (and frankly look better) with some sort of a sleeve. Maybe these folks have just completely given up and don't care? Just a random thought here...

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, operalover said:

Eh, I disagree, eat fruit if you want. No one ever got fat because they ate too much fruit. As for the no carb low carb dieting and all how great it is people singing its praises in thread--, add me to the list of people that can't stand it, can't do it, won't do it and has lost weight and kept it off fine while enjoying a diet of average 50% carbs each day- in this day and age I am a pro-carb person, a weirdo and a pariah. A few times in my life I attempted that Atkins type diet and I was never so miserable in my life. It's disgusting. I do try to limit most of the carb intake to before 3PM. I do think the more complex carbs are obviously better than white flour and sugar laden carbs. But oatmeal, potatoes, good whole grain breads, fat free popcorn, fruit, even a bagel in the morning- hell no I'm not going to give that up. You can't eat junk food =obviously= but hey you can lose weight eating carbs. I don't recommend it for Dr Nows patients, because they need to do what he says--but if you need to lose weight without weight loss surgery then you better have a diet that does not make you feel deprived, and like you want to kill yourself...you should go with something you can stick with over the long term, too many restrictions backfires over the long term.  If you want to have a bagel for breakfast, 2 slices of bread at lunch and a potato with dinner, and fruit 3 times a day and can keep your total calories to a reasonable amount, and exercise you can lose weight. And not have breath that tastes like nail polish remover. 

Edited by operalover
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We met a couple on a cruise.  They were vegan.  He was over 350 pounds, and she wasn't far behind.  We still haven't figured out how many fruits, vegetables, and healthy foods it takes to maintain them.

Vegan diets being healthy is a huge misconception. They're often high in soy and processed food. 

• Love 2

I'm happy to introduce myself, for one reason that I share the same struggles and past experiences.  I took care of my mom until she died in her bed in my home in hospice care.  I miss her, but I don't miss the shell she became in the throes of dementia.  She's in a better place.  All her tears are washed away.  Perioedontal disease -- I let myself go because leaving the house was problematic.  So now have partial dentures.  That creeps up on you.  And then it's too late.  Don't be like me.  :(

I lived in Seattle for 34 years and now live in a town on the Oly Pen  called Sequim.   Heaven on earth.  God is good.  :)

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, QueBueno said:

I hope this is the right thread for this.  An interesting article about the costs involved with obesity.  The part about how much it costs hospitals to buy supersized everything was eye-opening.

Obesity's Hefty Price Tag - The Agenda

One of the things on My 600# life if that "a month in the hospital".  I saw my mom's bills and she was never hospitalized more than a few days and STUNNED!  Medicare is paying $50K for a month of eating properly.  No wonder it's bankrupt.  All these people are on disability so they're on Medicare.  

I'll never run for any dogcatcher, because I don't have a clue how to fix this.  And now the opioid crisis.  Not enough treatment beds for anyone.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Otter said:

I lived in Seattle for 34 years and now live in a town on the Oly Pen  called Sequim.   Heaven on earth.  God is good.  :)

It's so funny - Sequim is not a large town, but everywhere I go, I seem to meet people from there.  Several folks from our company in AZ retired there.  Must be an awesome place.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Otter said:

I'm happy to introduce myself, for one reason that I share the same struggles and past experiences.  I took care of my mom until she died in her bed in my home in hospice care.  I miss her, but I don't miss the shell she became in the throes of dementia.  She's in a better place.  All her tears are washed away.  Perioedontal disease -- I let myself go because leaving the house was problematic.  So now have partial dentures.  That creeps up on you.  And then it's too late.  Don't be like me.  :(

As my WA born dad used to call it, 'God's country'. If you can tolerate the rain, you're golden. :-)

On 3/16/2017 at 3:23 PM, OSM Mom said:

Yes it is the lesser of two evils, but it is still essentially evil.

Fruit isn't exactly bad for you, so long as you don't overindulge.  Fruit has sugar carbohydrates in it.  But I think the target is to go on a ketogenic diet.  Body energy comes from either carbohydrates or fat.  The idea is that if you give the body carbohydrates, it will go to them first for energy.  Ketogenic diets try to cut out the carbohydrates and convince the body to go straight for stored fat, since it can't get carbohydrates.

Ketogenic diets aren't usually NO carb diets.  They usually stick to 25 per day, which is pretty low.  Dr. Now seems to get stricter than that, which I think is a little harsh.  It's almost impossible to eliminate carbohydrates entirely and not go mad from the lack of variety.

9 hours ago, Otter said:

One of the things on My 600# life if that "a month in the hospital".  I saw my mom's bills and she was never hospitalized more than a few days and STUNNED!  Medicare is paying $50K for a month of eating properly.  No wonder it's bankrupt.  All these people are on disability so they're on Medicare.  

I'll never run for any dogcatcher, because I don't have a clue how to fix this.  And now the opioid crisis.  Not enough treatment beds for anyone.

Medicare primarily covers senior citizens.  Their hospital bills aren't cheap either.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Otter said:

{{{hugs}}} 

Sequim is so gorgeous. Lavender farms! I live near Seattle but right now I am in Port Townsend and just yesterday was thinking of a side trip to Sequim. Maybe I will if the sun comes out later. PT is starting out mighty gray this morning. 

8 hours ago, peaceknit said:

As my WA born dad used to call it, 'God's country'. If you can tolerate the rain, you're golden. :-)

Part of what is so great about Sequim is its being in the "rain shadow" of the Olympics, so they get tons more days of sunshine than typical Western WA. It is a beautiful area anyway but the little mini-climate makes it extra special! :)

Edited by Tabbygirl521

Small talk, but veering off.

Almost had a car accident on the way home just now when I heard that Casey Anthony and O.J. Simpson are in talks for a reality show.

That is, if he makes parole.

Well, I might be a 600 lb. watcher or some other hideous shows, but no way will I watch that.

• Love 8

HA!  Sequim is also called the "blue hole" and describes it exactly!  Been a harsh winter.  

I've gotten such a warm welcome and thank you!  I moved here not knowing a soul and also got a warm welcome.  

*breaksintobarbrastreisandsong*

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Cherrio said:

Small talk, but veering off.

Almost had a car accident on the way home just now when I heard that Casey Anthony and O.J. Simpson are in talks for a reality show.

That is, if he makes parole.

Well, I might be a 600 lb. watcher or some other hideous shows, but no way will I watch that.

I don't know if I can take a 3-part doc of Casey.  The trailer is enough and she's still hated!  But those mobs in front of her parents' house were horrible too.  

She should be on death row  And I call BS on the juror who said the State didn't prove their case.  Circumstantial evidence holds more weight than direct evidence.  Heck DNA is circumstantial by definition.  

I would watch a show with Lee and Jackie Peterson, aka "We Want Those".  Even Laci's ironing board.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

Ketogenic diets aren't usually NO carb diets.  They usually stick to 25 per day, which is pretty low.  Dr. Now seems to get stricter than that, which I think is a little harsh. 

On another thread, someone said that this was because after surgery, with less room in the stomach for food, Dr. Now wants people to use the space for the proteins that they need.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Otter said:

I don't know if I can take a 3-part doc of Casey.  The trailer is enough and she's still hated!  But those mobs in front of her parents' house were horrible too.  

She should be on death row  And I call BS on the juror who said the State didn't prove their case.  Circumstantial evidence holds more weight than direct evidence.  Heck DNA is circumstantial by definition.  

I would watch a show with Lee and Jackie Peterson, aka "We Want Those".  Even Laci's ironing board.  

I agree, she should be on death row. So should her sleazebag attorney.   We were in Orlando during the trial , but did not go near it. Too many crazies.

I did go for one day for the Jodi Arias trial.  Yes, I am a serious all my life crime buff, not a weirdo. I was visiting a relative so I was in Phoenix.  Had to explain the entire case to my relative, point out the family members and we met Beth Karas.    It was strange actually being there, instead of watching it on tv.

Oh and I totally agree about circumstantial cases.  Most cases are circumstantial. But of course the defense looks for the dumbest jurors they can find.

Edited by Cherrio
adding, Jackie Peterson died a few years ago.
1 hour ago, Cherrio said:

I agree, she should be on death row. So should her sleazebag attorney.   We were in Orlando during the trial , but did not go near it. Too many crazies.

I did go for one day for the Jodi Arias trial.  Yes, I am a serious all my life crime buff, not a weirdo. I was visiting a relative so I was in Phoenix.  Had to explain the entire case to my relative, point out the family members and we met Beth Karas.    It was strange actually being there, instead of watching it on tv.

Oh and I totally agree about circumstantial cases.  Most cases are circumstantial. But of course the defense looks for the dumbest jurors they can find.

It was so disgraceful -- the mobs.  Felt so bad for the neighbors if nothing else.  

And Jodi!   What a piece of work.  You needed a hazmat suit to even watch that trial.  I wonder if she still has her little army of supporters.  The same ones who supported Casey.  To each his own I guess.  And to her attorney -- can't even remember his name.   So not so famous.  

• Love 1
On 3/24/2017 at 5:34 AM, Michael Stabosz said:

Medicare primarily covers senior citizens.  Their hospital bills aren't cheap either.

This is true.  However, most senior citizens worked and paid taxes all of their lives, and once you enroll in Medicare, you pay premiums.  Big difference from Medicaid.

9 hours ago, MonicaM said:

This is true.  However, most senior citizens worked and paid taxes all of their lives, and once you enroll in Medicare, you pay premiums.  Big difference from Medicaid.

That doesn't change the fact that they're running up big hospital bills.  The poster's point was that these heavy but indigent people were running up large hospital bills putting a financial strain on the system.  Old people are ALSO putting the same strain on the system.  Medicine is hugely expensive in the U.S., and I have my doubts that senior citizens, even having paid Medicare taxes for decades, actually put in more than they are using up.

About the drive-thru liquor store. ?.

In Louisiana there are drive-thru Daiquiri bars. In fact, you can't even go inside. And you can order 8oz to ice chest size. The cups come with straws just like sodas. These are real Daiquris not virgin style.

14 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

That doesn't change the fact that they're running up big hospital bills.  The poster's point was that these heavy but indigent people were running up large hospital bills putting a financial strain on the system.  Old people are ALSO putting the same strain on the system.  Medicine is hugely expensive in the U.S., and I have my doubts that senior citizens, even having paid Medicare taxes for decades, actually put in more than they are using up.

It is not our fault Medicare is set up for sustaining illnesses rather than preventive medicine. Preventive is much cheaper. And, globally, health care is under a huge strain from obesity. 

• Love 4
On 3/24/2017 at 4:42 PM, Cherrio said:

I was so glued to JA's trial. I watched the live feed on my phone while I was at work. Really not cool but I was compelled. I can easily understand why you went. She is SO weird, on so many levels. Truly a terrible yet fascinating case. Poor, poor Travis!

If Casey A or OJ get reality shows, I will just completely give up. Unless they get the same show and are locked up together, "Big Brother" style. With knives. 

• Love 1
On 3/23/2017 at 9:29 PM, Otter said:

My (THANK GOD FOR INSURANCE) bill for a week of inpatient for my eating disorder in 2009 was over 17k.  On one hand, keeping them in a place seems like a good idea.  OTOH... it's James.  And I'm pretty liberal when it comes to Medicaid spending...

On 3/26/2017 at 6:53 AM, Michael Stabosz said:

It's gone up astronomically even in 15 years. Normal  basic ER visit used to be around $800. Now a BLS ambulance transport costs $800 alone. The cost of tests has gone up dramatically, too--hospitals (at least around here) are charging patients $1200 for a 12 lead. Why? I'm a healthcare provider, I know how to set up and do a 12 lead. It does not cost $1200 to run this test and have it read! Where on earth is this money going?

We as healthcare providers are supposed to do no harm. To me, that includes not bankrupting people by doing financial harm. 

• Love 6

Okay, here's another question for healthcare pros.  I'm watching Milla's episode right now and like James (and a lot of others) eat lying all but flat in their beds.  How do they not get pneumonia?   I mean at some point before treatment?  That is so hard on your body along with everything else wrong with them.  And I know that if you're recovering from sickness or injury, it's so important to sit up when eating or even better getting into a chair if possible.  

Surprising no one has thrown a clot, although that one woman did (or almost did) from her trip to Houston.  

4 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

It's gone up astronomically even in 15 years. Normal  basic ER visit used to be around $800. Now a BLS ambulance transport costs $800 alone. The cost of tests has gone up dramatically, too--hospitals (at least around here) are charging patients $1200 for a 12 lead. Why? I'm a healthcare provider, I know how to set up and do a 12 lead. It does not cost $1200 to run this test and have it read! Where on earth is this money going?

We as healthcare providers are supposed to do no harm. To me, that includes not bankrupting people by doing financial harm. 

I think the money is going to pay for the people who don't pay or can't pay.  Some people go to the ER with minor problems and know they won't be turned away.  I know that here they aren't allowed to ask about insurance or ability to pay until after treatment.  In a city near me, there's a lot of gang violence and every gunshot victim brought in costs about $17,000 that somebody has to pay.  Then after working and paying my high insurance premium for years and only getting medical care when serious, I have to pre-approve any little thing and pay lots out of pocket.  

I'll get off my high horse. Maybe all these 600 pounders are paying their medical bills.  

Edited by Lizz
  • Love 1
On 3/27/2017 at 4:31 PM, TurtlePower said:

It's exactly as another poster said: The huge bills that some of us are stuck with all go to cover the people who cannot and will not pay. Some people use the ER and hospital services at will and then happily allow others to go bankrupt and lose their homes struggling to pay the astronomical bills that include what OTHERS have run up.

To keep this remotely on topic: Monsters like James are some of the very worst offenders. They are hopeless addicts who bleed the system dry and care nothing for the people they hurt physically, emotionally, and financially. And it's not just their own families. I would not dare go to an ER myself because I'm not on disability or anything else, and could never pay the obscene amount I'd be charged because it includes the tab that James and many others like him are running up and will never, ever pay a penny towards.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, okerry said:

It's exactly as another poster said: The huge bills that some of us are stuck with all go to cover the people who cannot and will not pay. Some people use the ER and hospital services at will and then happily allow others to go bankrupt and lose their homes struggling to pay the astronomical bills that include what OTHERS have run up.

To keep this remotely on topic: Monsters like James are some of the very worst offenders. They are hopeless addicts who bleed the system dry and care nothing for the people they hurt physically, emotionally, and financially. And it's not just their own families. I would not dare go to an ER myself because I'm not on disability or anything else, and could never pay the obscene amount I'd be charged because it includes the tab that James and many others like him are running up and will never, ever pay a penny towards.

ER abusers really piss me off. It's definitely wrong to pass the costs along to those who can pay while others get away with not paying. If someone like James goes to the ER and cannot pay, that's not anyone else's problem. His bills are his bills and should remain HIS problem, not everyone else's. 

OT: It's gotten so bad I'm looking into concierge medicine. You can't get a doctor to spend more than 2 minutes with you these days, I'd rather pay extra fees for a doc with less patients and more time. 

16 hours ago, Suzy123 said:

Dr.  Now gave Steven way too many chances. Part of me thinks that he knows it's good TV and he prolongs it to make a good show. 

Yeah. I fully expect Steven to be an asshole in drug treatment and then return to being an asshole when it comes to weight loss. If he turns out to be a success, I'll be prepared to dine on my own foot. 

Edited by TurtlePower

Folks, a reminder to please talk about the episode/participants in their respective topics. Per the first post in every Small Talk topic: 

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion.