Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

Okay, I did it because I just couldn't take it anymore. Please support my petition to TLC to cut back on exploiting the participants in the show. Here is a link and if you can think of some way it can be tweaked it would be appreciated:

https://www.causes.com/actions/1778100-pledge-to-contact-the-learning-channel-viewer-relations-dept?conversion_request_id=275296823&recruiter_id=189069756&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=wall&utm_source=fb&fb_ref=Default

• Love 1

I wish this show was as informative as "Fat Doctor." The more I watch "Fat Doctor," the more I see how much "My 600-lb Life" glosses over a lot of things. 

• Love 3

Fat Doctor glosses over stuff as well. I wrote a comment about therapy and that some people hadn't really addressed their issues and I noticed that they started showing therapy sessions as well as some cases that didn't turn out well. But before that, it was look at the person eat, watch them talk to Shaw Summers (who is as cute as he wants to be. I even dragged my son to the computer to make him look at Shaw's suits as something he should emulate). watch the operation (in operating rooms with windows), look at the person a few weeks or months later. Shows have formulas for a reason.

Considering Dr Now has had a couple of people with gall bladder issues,  I wonder if he now routinely takes them out. On the other hand, why remove a body part just in case it might become a problem? I'm of two minds on that one.

Any one a fan of 'Supersize vs Superskinny'? Some of the portions of the supersizers just freak me out. Three full plates of Chinese food? Then snacks?  Or 8 big sausages and then look into the camera and say you can't seem to lose weight. Sheesh. It's a good show.

Fat Doctor glosses over stuff as well. I wrote a comment about therapy and that some people hadn't really addressed their issues and I noticed that they started showing therapy sessions as well as some cases that didn't turn out well. But before that, it was look at the person eat, watch them talk to Shaw Summers (who is as cute as he wants to be. I even dragged my son to the computer to make him look at Shaw's suits as something he should emulate). watch the operation (in operating rooms with windows), look at the person a few weeks or months later. Shows have formulas for a reason.

Considering Dr Now has had a couple of people with gall bladder issues, I wonder if he now routinely takes them out. On the other hand, why remove a body part just in case it might become a problem? I'm of two minds on that one.

Any one a fan of 'Supersize vs Superskinny'? Some of the portions of the supersizers just freak me out. Three full plates of Chinese food? Then snacks? Or 8 big sausages and then look into the camera and say you can't seem to lose weight. Sheesh. It's a good show.

I love Supersize vs. Superskinny. I'm always in awe when in switching meals,that grown people cry because they have to eat something they don't like for a few days.

• Love 1

Okay, I did it because I just couldn't take it anymore. Please support my petition to TLC to cut back on exploiting the participants in the show. Here is a link and if you can think of some way it can be tweaked it would be appreciated:

https://www.causes.com/actions/1778100-pledge-to-contact-the-learning-channel-viewer-relations-dept?conversion_request_id=275296823&recruiter_id=189069756&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=wall&utm_source=fb&fb_ref=Default

The link leads to a page not found.      

I want to answer your question from the other thread about how viewers got fed up with Jon and Kate.   The bottom line is always money, so viewers were writing and calling all the sponsors of that show and making sure they knew they would be boycotting their products/company.      Kate's brother and sister in law also went public with their concerns about the children's welfare.  The state of PA also took a lot of hits because they had no laws in place to protect the children as reality performers.   There were hearings and I think the outcome was that some laws were made.

The dogs were removed by the animal protective society at least temporarily because of viewer outrage. 

• Love 1

I don't think it's exploitative to show the people in the shows getting dressed, bathed, toilets, etc. I think it"s valuable and informative to show what it's like just to get the basics of life accomplished, and the burden they place on their caregivers. Maybe it seems excessive if you're a regular watcher, but if I watched only one episode and didn't get that part of the story I'd have a very different opinion. Like, if I didn't see Marla get taken care of that way, maybe I wouldn't have been so angry at her refusal to participate. I'd have though, who cares? She's not hurting anyone but herself. This way I see exactly who and how she's hurting others.

• Love 5

I think that deserting a 21-year-old quadriplegic with cerebral palsy in the woods with nothing but a Bible is not the same as only providing smaller amounts of healthy foods to someone who can get better as a result.

I would lovingly care for a loved one who was genuinely ill. I would not enable someone to commit suicide by eating themselves to death. And I would go to jail rather than be forced to wipe the butt of someone who had an illness that could be cured, but they refuse to cooperate in their own treatment.

YMMV.

• Love 9

Ruby was extremely annoying towards the end of her show. She complained and lied about so much stuff. Also, the stuff with her and Denny was getting really old. It was obvious that Denny never liked her in a romantic way. Honestly, I think she she made up a lot of that romance in her mind.

• Love 4

There was a video story on Mayra Rosales on my news feed today. Of course, after I watched it, I clicked off and now can't find it again. But I did search around and it looks like she was doing interviews in February. She looks great. What a difference, not only in her weight (it says she lost 800 lbs), but a difference in the will and spirit compared to some folks we've seen. There are some shots of Dr Now and a brief interview with Olivia, who says she was inspired by Mayra's story. Olivia looks good, too.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/02/26/pkg-woman-loses-over-800-pounds.ktrk

• Love 2

Color me clueless, because I certainly am about some things. But about the gastric bypass surgery:

Why doesn't the doctor, in addition to doing the above, also strip out some fat poundage? He's in the general belly neighborhood anyway; can't he trowel out some lard at the same time? I really wonder why this doesn't happen.

• Love 1
I really wonder why this doesn't happen

These patients are already at very high risk, so I'm guessing that  liposuction with a chance of throwing a fat embolism would add little to the weight loss and much to the danger.  

• Love 3

Color me clueless, because I certainly am about some things. But about the gastric bypass surgery: Why doesn't the doctor, in addition to doing the above, also strip out some fat poundage? He's in the general belly neighborhood anyway; can't he trowel out some lard at the same time? I really wonder why this doesn't happen.

It would increase the likelihood of complications and bleeding. Fat is living tissue, not a fluid. Surgically removing fat isn't as simple as yanking it out.

• Love 1

Liposuction is typically used to remove pockets of fat in areas that weigh at most a few pounds.  The incisions are external, which leaves some risk of infection, but keeping the area clean makes that risk quite low.  The incisions are very small, and only small areas are treated at a time to limit bleeding.  As Scrowl said, fat is living tissue.  It has a blood supply which has to be controlled.  During a tummy tuck or face lift there may also be liposuction, but again, using purely external incisions.  In these surgeries, the internal organs are not cut.  

When doing gastric bypass, the gastrointestinal tract is opened up. The GI tract is filled with bacteria that can lead to infection if they get into outside tissues and into the bloodstream. While there are similar skin openings to do the minimally-invasive technique that Dr. Now uses, the internal work is controlled in its scope.  It would add a great deal of risk to additionally disturb the fat pockets and open additional blood vessels to do liposuction at the same time as bypass.  

• Love 2

Suz at large, unfortunately for the chair exercises, what I have seen pretty much exclusively with these reality people is a simple lightweight dumbbell moving their arms back and forth.  Dandy, but got to move those LEGS obviously.  Legs and feet.  Do it and walk, or don't and die.

I saw a little bit of the Aging Backwards during a pledge drive.  There's always a pledge drive!  It looked very good, and I'll look out for her show. I haven't ever seen it.

Edited by Micks Picks

Yes. Dominique was frustrating.  I suspect that she not only suffered from an eating disorder, but that she had other issues as well.  I'm not sure she had the capacity to realize the state of her condition or ability to change it.  Her mental development didn't seem to match her age.  I'm not sure why her doctor didn't see that. I think he did the best he could with her, but with her condition, I'm not sure what the long term result would have been had she survived.  Sad story.

Caught the last half of Dominique last night. Really sad because every time the doctor was thinking of new ways to help her, her reply was "thank you Jesus, or thank you God." not realizing that she needed to help herself.  Her enablers were no use either.  The money and resources that the doctor pulled for this woman was amazing.  Who paid for all this?  Just sad she didn't make it.

Did anyone catch the other program after Dominique's story?  About the 1100 pound woman in Texas who was admitting to sitting on her nephew by accident and crushing him to death?  Later it turns out it was her sister that killed the child and this woman was covering up for her.  Well, guess who shows up to give this woman a second chance?!?  Dr. Now!  I didn't stay up to see how it all ended. If anyone did, please post what happened in the second half. Did they preform the surgery and did she actually lose weight?

I watched the story about the 1100 pound woman previously and just today saw an interview with her.  She had the surgery and is now down to 250 lbs.  She looks great.  Dr. Now would like her down around 180 lbs and she is working on it. 

• Love 2

Does anyone know what Dominique ultimately died from, I tried to google it and no one specifically what actually killed her.  Was it was a heart attack or did she blow up her post surgery stomach and go septic (I have heard this can happen)?

(edited)

I've been reading online and watching episodes of this show over the past week.  One thing that I keep reading is that "healthy food costs more than cheap stuff.  That's why so many poor people are overweight."

To a large degree - that's poppycock.

We went to Sam's Club yesterday.  A package of shredded lettuce/carrot/red onion salad mix is $1.98  For TEN servings.  Add in some chopped hard-boiled eggs (also not expensive), and even if a large person eats double portions, that's less than $.50 per serving.

We also bought (as we do every week) a tray of their raw mixed veggies - carrots, peppers, green beans, cauliflower, and broccoli; I think it's about $10 - and lasts these two people a full week.  We can't even eat all the carrots in that timeframe.  I spent about 15 minutes chopping up the leftovers from last week's tray and mixed them with some pre-packaged vegetable and chicken broth.  This morning, I'll chop up a couple of frozen chicken filets, season everything, and let it cook in the crockpot all day.  This will last us AT LEAST for 3 evening meals for 2.  For PENNIES.

What people don't seem to take into consideration with the "fattening food is cheaper" argument is that people eat TOO MUCH.  It's smarter to eat smaller portions of NOURISHING food - rather than large portions of empty calories.

You're leaving a lot out of the equation here. Poor people can't afford a Sam's Club/Costco membership, for one. So buying in bulk is out.

Furthermore, you have to look at the overall life of someone living like this. They're poor. They're usually in the south, which has a lot of food deserts. And if you're poor, you're likely working long hours in order to try and make ends meet. That means little time for cooking.

All of these things add up. The fact is that when you add in time and convenience, junk food is by and large the cheapest option. Can I feed myself and my family on fresh, whole food for cheaper? It depends on where you live and what resources are available to you. For the sake of argument let's say yes I can, but I have to go to the store and buy it and then cook it. If I am working and trying to take care of someone full-time (like a child, or a 600-lb relative...or both at the same time) it's just not likely to happen. It's infinitely more convenient to swing by a fast food restaurant, which is likely much closer than a grocery store, and pick up a bucket of fried chicken.

For the majority of families on this show, it looks like the perfect storm. They live in the south, which is hot and sticky and has small narrow roads with no sidewalks, and very little public transportation. So exercising outside doesn't seem as fun/easy/safe/attainable; even running to a bus stop isn't something that's really do-able in the south like it is in most of the rest of the US. They have food deserts where grocery stores are farther away than fast food, and many people don't have a car available to them to pick up groceries, and the store is too far to walk. They're poor. And I recently watched a TED Talk that showed statistics which said that many people in the US (especially in the younger few generations) don't know how to cook. Add the emotional/psychological issues on top of all that and is it any wonder they got to 600lbs?

I struggle with this myself, and I have the Sam's Club membership and the knowledge of healthy living. But I work all day, and I have school after that, and then I volunteer, and to be honest, there aren't enough hours in the day. Sometimes I do fast food because it saves me an hour or two of cooking.

Now, because I live in a place where I have a car and can afford slightly more expensive groceries, and have access to several grocery stores near me, and because I know how to cook, I can make my own food and be relatively healthy. But I feel as though you're slightly presenting this in the age old "they could be healthy if they weren't so piggish and lazy" argument, and while for some people that might be true, I think for the vast majority of obese people in the world, it's just categorically untrue and unsympathetic. 

Edited by AnJen
  • Love 5

I gained five pounds. I've done this before It takes me about two weeks of 1,500 calorie days to lose it, then I'm back to my ideal weight. It's a lot easier than losing ten pounds. I'm lucky I can manage my weight at my age so that's what I do.

I tried to explain this to a friend. She said, "That's insane! You're not fat! You shouldn't be on a diet!"

I was not aware that diets were only for "fat" people and that maintaining your ideal weight is insane. Ugh!

• Love 3
(edited)

I understand the sympathy point of view but it is not as simple as that. There has always been poor people in the south who,lived in food deserts. What is different now is the access to fast foods, processed foods of the unhealthy variety. Another attitude of southern mindset is that fattervequals healthier that carried over from slavery and the thinking that bigger meant prosperity.

I have just returned from a visit to my hometown in Louisiana. Fried, boxed and/or sans fresh vegetables is what prevails.  Do not get me wrong... the food I ate was delicious but I knew a lot of it was prepared with chemical ladened ingredients.   but had to make a special trip to the market to get fruits for my breakfast. The saltier, the sweeter it is the more it is eaten/served. Before the widespread access to KFC, McDonald's, Church's etc., people raised their own vegetables and fruits. Went down to the creek and caught a mess of fish, crawfish, shrimps and frogs. Yes, it was fried except for the gumbos and stews but it was fresh and not farmed and fed whatever they feed farmed seafood. The slaughter of a plg meant meant for a while and was shared with those nearby. There was no such thing as using any other fats except for lard and grassfed butter. 

So people were large and if they weren't others said they looked "poor" which meant two things- they looked not prosperous and they looked poorly, sickly.

When I was a kid I remember hating to visit older adults for dinner because they always served things like fresh field peas, greens, cornbread from corn they raised and ground locally. Every once in a while there would be a protein but usually not. Later I learned to appreciate those meals but it was a bit too late as the old ways gave in to being able to go to the store anytime you wanted.

One of my younger cousins was raised here on the west coast but her family moved back when she was a teen. She wore a size 10. Her grandmother constantly shoved food at her because she was too thin. I can still see her frowning and wringing her hands over it. 

Hardy appetites with healthy fare fairs better than hardy appetites with unhealthy fast and convenient foods of today. Which means overeating in years past rendered fat people vs the obese we see now.

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 1

I've recently gotten sucked into 600 lb Life and I've been binge-watching (no pun intended) for the last week or two. I've struggled with my weight all of my life, and although I've always woken up and made changes before personal hygiene became an issue, I feel a weird sort of kinship (along with the push-pull of a fascinated, repelled horror). Still and all, it's helping me keep focused on moving more and eating better, so here I am. My question to you guys, after watching what some might say is too many episodes in a row, do you ever find yourself picturing the judgmental eye of the camera there as you wolf down your lunch or order a quick burger at the drive-through? Just me? :)

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 1

I've recently gotten sucked into 600 lb Life and I've been binge-watching (no pun intended) for the last week or two. I've struggled with my weight all of my life, and although I've always woken up and made changes before personal hygiene became an issue, I feel a weird sort of kinship (along with the push-pull of a fascinated, repelled horror). Still and all, it's helping me keep focused on moving more and eating better, so here I am. My question to you guys, after watching what some might say is too many episodes in a row, do you ever find yourself picturing the judgmental eye of the camera there as you wolf down your lunch or order a quick burger at the drive-through? Just me? :)

LOL! If I was on the camera for real, I would always be eating healthy.  I already feel like I am being watched and judged when I buy junk food.  Last night as my son and I were running around running several errands during dinner time, so I bought a bag of pizza flavored Combos for us to share because we were both starving.  As I was at the register paying,  I kept looking around to make sure I didn't run into anyone I knew.  I had originally promised him candy (as a bribe because we still had one more store to go to), but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it so I convinced him that the combos would be more filling anyway (we were in Hobby Lobby and they don't really sell food in there besides the "impulse items" at the front registers).  So yes, I really do picture the judgmental yey of the camera.

I too am obsessed with this show.  I have also struggled with my weight and I had bariatric surgery last Sept, but I am now at the point where I can eat whatever I want (that doesn't make me sick).  A lot of times (like in the Combos incident), I imagine Dr. Now yelling at me for eating something.  My surgeon is very different than Dr. Now.  My doctor would rather I really push myself with exercise, even if it means eating a little more, but one time I mentioned something to him about only being allowed to eat three times a day and he was like "who told you that??" Um... Dr, Now from My 600 Pound Life.  

• Love 2

I just know the judgmental eye of the camera would NOT be on me while I was taking a shower.  Nuh uh, no sir. I'm 150 pounds and I can't imagine letting strangers see me like that.

What do they promise these camera crews to keep filming while all of that mass lathers up?

• Love 2

I just know the judgmental eye of the camera would NOT be on me while I was taking a shower. Nuh uh, no sir. I'm 150 pounds and I can't imagine letting strangers see me like that.

What do they promise these camera crews to keep filming while all of that mass lathers up?

I wonder how many of the camera crew goes on a diet while they are filming.

• Love 3

Youtube has several series on obesity although most of the ones I've watched are from Britain. Then there is the HBO Serirs, Weight of A Nation. Much more than the usual gloss-over usually shown the series have different topics each section. So far I have watched two and the most eye opening fact is that obesity only becamr an epidemic since the 1980s. That is a timeline all of us can follow in order to understand the causes.

This is a little off topic, but did anyone else do the Billy Blanks workout and the MTV dance workout in P.E. while in high school?

We usually did them when it was raining, snowing, or too cold outside.

I loved those days because those workouts were so much fun. Much better than running a mile. Everyone in class enjoyed it and even the kids who always "forgot" their gym clothes enjoyed it.

Here is something that came as a big surprise... I watched a Showtime series called Seven Deadly Sins. It was about building caskets for obese, morbidly obese, people. The part about cremation pointed out that the burning had to be watched carefully because the excess fat could start a grease fire.  Now, is that something you all have ever thought about? 

• Love 4

Here is something that came as a big surprise... I watched a Showtime series called Seven Deadly Sins. It was about building caskets for obese, morbidly obese, people. The part about cremation pointed out that the burning had to be watched carefully because the excess fat could start a grease fire.  Now, is that something you all have ever thought about? 

OMG!!!

On Supersize vs Superskinny, the doc was talking to a funeral director here in the States who told him he had to cut off limbs so the super obese would fit in the retort. It was upsetting, even for a funeral director. He didn't mention grease fires. Sheesh!

• Love 2

OMG x 2   !        I might have to watch this series, of course with hands close to cover my eyes.

I have a feeling this next episode (Lupe) is going to be the Penny-Pauline of the season.    I am not sure after this week's show I will watch. The broken toilet scene skeers me.

• Love 2

OMG x 2   !        I might have to watch this series, of course with hands close to cover my eyes.

I have a feeling this next episode (Lupe) is going to be the Penny-Pauline of the season.    I am not sure after this week's show I will watch. The broken toilet scene skeers me.

Supersize vs Superskinny is mostly interesting, and they talk about emotional reasons for problems with food. 

I'm ready for the next Penny, and can't wait for Lupe!

• Love 2

Omigosh, people. I went to the doctor today, mostly routine maintenance and to have a few things checked out. It's a big HMO clinic, with several departments, a radiiology facility, lab, pharmacy, etc. Because I *am* more than a few pounds overweight, one subject on the agenda was weight loss.

So, anyway, after the nurse took me into an exam room and did the intake, vitals, etc., she pulled a hospital gown out of a cabinet and laid it on the counter and said, "After the doctor sees you, she may want an EKG, so here's a gown for you in case." Sure enough, the doctor did want me to have an EKG. Then she picked up the folded gown and kind of frowned. She said, "this is one of the really really large ones; let's get you a regular one," and as she put that one away and pulled out a smaller one, she said something like, "These big ones are like tents." And I laughed and mentioned watching this show.

Yep, they're now stocking supersized gowns at the HMO clinic.

Then, I went downstairs to the lab for the blood draw the doc had ordered. There's a waiting area full of chairs, all with arms. And I realized as I sat down, that the chairs included at least one extra-extra-wide chair. Same style and finishes, but about twice the width of the regular chairs. 

I'm glad they are accommodating their bigger sized patients, but it's a sad commentary on how obese we're getting in this country all the same.

As for me, I can still sit in the regular chairs, and by God I'm going to lose these superfluous life-sucking pounds. I swear. I've already made some changes to my diet - for the better - and there are more to come. This show has been helpful to me, in a horrible kind of way.

• Love 5

The episode next week is showing 2 hours on my DVR. Is anyone else seeing this? I suspect that they are adding another show on for the next hour like they did with that show about excess skin. I hate when they do that.

The episode next week is showing 2 hours on my DVR. Is anyone else seeing this? I suspect that they are adding another show on for the next hour like they did with that show about excess skin. I hate when they do that.

No, its an actual two hour show on the last person (Lupe?  I can't remember).  My DVR recorded an show "Extended: Dottie's Story" and there was a sneak preview of that show.  This is the season finale.  

• Love 1