Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

We didn't hit much rain at all, thank goodness.  Traffic was awful last night getting to the baseball game, but a breeze on the way back.  Once we got out of the Houston Beltway area, it was pretty smooth sailing except for a major tractor trailer accident near Fort Stockton.  We had to move over to the access road for a couple of miles.  

We'll be home by this time tomorrow.  There's no place like it!

3 hours ago, Complexity said:

Has anyone watched Fat Chance? Is it any good? I don't see a forum for it, but the show looks interesting. 

I haven't watched it but based on the episode descriptions some of those weight loss goals look rather unrealistic.  I know the heavier I was the faster I lost weight initially, but not near as fast as some of the goals listed.  I think they are setting themselves up for failure, but of course that makes for good tv unfortunately.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, abbey said:

I haven't watched it but based on the episode descriptions some of those weight loss goals look rather unrealistic.  I know the heavier I was the faster I lost weight initially, but not near as fast as some of the goals listed.  I think they are setting themselves up for failure, but of course that makes for good tv unfortunately.

I'm at the end of the first episode, and I already have some of the same concerns you mentioned. I don't think it's healthy to lose 100 pounds in only 90 days. But more importantly, I question if they can maintain their weight loss since they did not learn the skills or develop the habits necessary for lifelong weight control.

Of course people have to be more extreme in their calorie restriction and exercise program to lose weight than they would to maintain their lower weight. But the wider the gap is between what the person learns to do to lose the weight and what they need to do to maintain that weight loss, the more likely it is that they'll regain their weight back. And more.

However, I still find it oddly inspiring to watch people lose so much weight so quickly. I find myself thinking I can do it too, just not so quickly. Plus, I love seeing how they look after losing the weight. There is no question people look much better when they have a healthier weight.

• Love 1

Pictures of Dr. Now's office from this past Wednesday (5/3/17).  It looks absolutely identical to what we see on each episode.  I took a picture of the sign out front:  Dr. Now at the top, and the big Chinese buffet restaurant at the bottom.  Makes it easy for patients who want some fraaaahd riiiiiiiice right after their appointments.  There's also a pizza place about 3 doors down to the left.

But, to be fair, there is also a Whole Foods Market right across the street.  There IS healthy food available for purchase in Houston.

Texas Trip Aptil - May 2017 064.jpg

Texas Trip Aptil - May 2017 065.jpg

Texas Trip Aptil - May 2017 066.jpg

• Love 9

I love The Lice Place, too.  I thought you just bought that shampoo.

Did you see any really large people going in or coming out?
Maybe you could have postcards made.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I love The Lice Place, too.  I thought you just bought that shampoo.

Did you see any really large people going in or coming out?
Maybe you could have postcards made.

No, we were there so early that there weren't even cars in the parking lot.  

On 5/6/2017 at 9:50 AM, AZChristian said:

Pictures of Dr. Now's office from this past Wednesday (5/3/17).  It looks absolutely identical to what we see on each episode.  I took a picture of the sign out front:  Dr. Now at the top, and the big Chinese buffet restaurant at the bottom.  Makes it easy for patients who want some fraaaahd riiiiiiiice right after their appointments.  There's also a pizza place about 3 doors down to the left.

But, to be fair, there is also a Whole Foods Market right across the street.  There IS healthy food available for purchase in Houston.

Texas Trip Aptil - May 2017 064.jpg

Texas Trip Aptil - May 2017 065.jpg

Texas Trip Aptil - May 2017 066.jpg

I just love that you did this.  We are probably kindred spirits.  My favorite picture I've taken of my husband was of him holding an Eagles album, standing on a corner in Winslow AZ, with a shit eating grin on his face.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

I just love that you did this.  We are probably kindred spirits.  My favorite picture I've taken of my husband was of him holding an Eagles album, standing on a corner in Winslow AZ, with a shit eating grin on his face.

My favorite picture of Mr. AZC and me is taken with Highclere House ("Downton Abbey") in the background.  I love visiting places I've seen on TV, whether high-quality shows like DA or TLC fiascos.  

• Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

My favorite picture I've taken of my husband was of him holding an Eagles album, standing on a corner in Winslow AZ, with a shit eating grin on his face

I know someone who goes all out to stage his family Christmas card, and one year he, his wife, and their 2 children did the Abbey Road album cover.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I know someone who goes all out to stage his family Christmas card, and one year he, his wife, and their 2 children did the Abbey Road album coverl.

I also like visiting "sites." I have...

* A picture of me holding a green tomato in front of Idgie's house. (Fried Green Tomatoes)

* A picture of me in the bathtub and at the formica table from Bridges of Madison County. (I also have a picture of me walking through Rosemon Bridge.)

* A picture of my kids at the Alexandria gates (The Walking Dead)

* Sitting on the bench in Savannah with a box of chocolates

* Standing side by side with my son, staring creepily at the camera, at the Overlook Hotel

• Love 6

A lot of DC area people talk about the Exorcist stairs, in Georgetown, but I never saw the movie (I am so not a movie person), and never went to Georgetown much.
I did read the original newspaper stories.

• Love 1

Re: this Pirate's Booty that you all like.  I thought someone said popcorn chips, but I don't see that.
Is it the corn puffs?  What should I look for?
Publix has the brand, and I'll look this afternoon.  THANKS!

2 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Re: this Pirate's Booty that you all like.  I thought someone said popcorn chips, but I don't see that.
Is it the corn puffs?  What should I look for?
Publix has the brand, and I'll look this afternoon.  THANKS!

Pirate's Booty

• Love 3

I didn't find the caramel, but finally found some Pirate's Booty, in the yuppie organic aisle.
The cheddar corn/rice puffs are ok, but nothing special.
Maybe another store will have more varities.

• Love 1

I see there's a show Big Little, about obese little people.  It's on TLC tonight 5/22 sometime.
Looks to be more an exercise show, rather than surgery.  Wonder if they're Amish or polygamists?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, auntjess said:

I see there's a show Big Little, about obese little people.  It's on TLC tonight 5/22 sometime.
Looks to be more an exercise show, rather than surgery.  Wonder if they're Amish or polygamists?

If neither of those, maybe at least one of them is transgender?

• Love 1

There's another show, can't remeber the name, and link is in Biggest Loser media thread.
The thing is, some said it's Dr. Oz, and I have disliked him since I first saw him on Oprah, advising people to look at their poop.

Continuing the discussion from the Pauline update episode thread about the difference between dentures and crowns.  Dentures are false teeth placed on a plastic plate that fits into your mouth.  The plates cover more surface than just where the teeth are because they need to encompass the gums.  You can have uppers, lowers or both (full set).  They are secured to your gums with denture adhesive - a temporary glue.  So you take them out to clean them and at night.   

Partials are tooth replacements that are also attached to a plastic or other form of plate.  However the plate for a partial is only to cover the area that the teeth are needed.  Partials are used when someone is missing some teeth but not all uppers or lowers.  So, if you had a few missing teeth, you could get a partial.  Depending on the configuration, they can be hooked to other permanent teeth with firm metal wires.  Or they can be held in place with adhesive.  Sometimes they simply snap over the gums, especially if they are front teeth where the gums are more narrow. 

Crowns are placed over existing teeth.  The natural teeth are either already worn down or the teeth are ground and shaped to hold the crown.  The crowns are then glued in place.  They are meant to be permanent.  That's why if someone says they lost a crown it's a big issue.  The tooth underneath is not one they want to be chewing with or exposing to hot or cold food/beverages.  

Implants are the new, more expensive option.  For implants, posts are imbedded into the bone and the implant is permanently glued to the post.  They are meant to be permanent.  They are treated like regular teeth; that is, you brush them, get the cleaned, etc.  However, you don't have to worry about cavities. 

The more you know *----------------------     

• Love 6

I've posted that my grown son doesn't like me to talk about the show. Well, the other evening he came over to visit. I had a repeat of the show on in the background; I wasn't paying attention and don't even remember whose show it was.  He plops in an easy chair and we start talking. Little by little, he starts to look at the TV. As we're talking, every now and then he stops, looks at the TV, and cries out, "What the hell is that?" "WTF?" "Wait a minute..."  

Finally I said, "I thought you didn't want me talking about the show?" to which he replies, "Yeah, I don't want to talk about it, but damn. Look at that stuff!"

Now you see why I watch the show, O Son and Heir.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, aliya said:

I've posted that my grown son doesn't like me to talk about the show. Well, the other evening he came over to visit. I had a repeat of the show on in the background; I wasn't paying attention and don't even remember whose show it was.  He plops in an easy chair and we start talking. Little by little, he starts to look at the TV. As we're talking, every now and then he stops, looks at the TV, and cries out, "What the hell is that?" "WTF?" "Wait a minute..."  

Finally I said, "I thought you didn't want me talking about the show?" to which he replies, "Yeah, I don't want to talk about it, but damn. Look at that stuff!"

Now you see why I watch the show, O Son and Heir.

That's right aliya, reel him in slowly and soon, very soon, he will be one of "us."

Ha. Hahahaha. Bwaaahahaha! 

• Love 11

I was just noticing that this forum has more posts than the House Hunters one.
Well done, us, especially considering HH is on almost all the time, and always has been.

My 600-lb Life

13,304 posts

• Love 4
14 hours ago, auntjess said:

Are we going to put up an episode for the worst episode award, and which one do you think it should be?

"Worst" as in "most shocking" or "worst person," I guess I'd have to go with James K. He nudges out Assanti due to his total inability to even sit up or roll over and due to the way he massively abuses his spouse/partner/kids. At least Assanti has none of those.

Plus it would annoy the hell out of Assanti to see somebody else "win" like this lol.

• Love 8

I just saw James's episode again the other day.  Unfortunately for him he does deserve the worst episode award . I had forgotten about the end of the show when he was "sitting up".  His sitting up consisted of one physical therapist behind him holding him in an upright position and the other one pulling on his arm for all he was worth in order to hold James in the upright opinion.  I cannot understand how someone can continue to live in such a condition that they cannot even sit up. 

• Love 1

Hey all. Hope everyone is well. Just wanted to say Mama Anchorabu had a bad fall Wednesday and broke both shoulders and her pelvis. She's in the hospital now and then a nursing home for 8-10 weeks at least. Please pray for her. Thank you and bless you all. And she says hi. ?❤️

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Anchorabu said:

Hey all. Hope everyone is well. Just wanted to say Mama Anchorabu had a bad fall Wednesday and broke both shoulders and her pelvis. She's in the hospital now and then a nursing home for 8-10 weeks at least. Please pray for her. Thank you and bless you all. And she says hi. ?❤️

That sounds painful.  Prayers for an uneventful recovery.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Anchorabu said:

I'm so sorry to hear that! Prayers for her speedy recovery! ?

• Love 1

I am so sorry to hear about Mama Anchorabu's fall, and hope that wonderful spirit of hers stays intact through all the challenges of recovery.  I look forward to reading the live threads especially for your posts.

• Love 2