Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Star Sighting

• Start Topic

Bella's DUI - She had A glass of wine, and then drove to the store? That's it? Just one glass and she was arrested for driving under the influence? I don't know, I call BS on that. Maybe that's what Bella told her mother, and Yo really believed it. But unless someone is an extreme lightweight, or that wine is really MOONSHINE, I don't see how they could get in trouble over one glass. And did I hear David say he asked Dr. Phil if this was the result of some middle-child syndrome? Dr. Phil??? Please tell me he just has some random doctor friend whose name is Phil, and he didn't mean McGraw. Although, David DOES love to name drop....

Lisa and Ken can lose me with all their disdain over Max dating an older woman. Isn't Ken sixteen years older than Lisa??? Something like that? I thought she was 21 when they met and he was in his late 30s. What? Is it because the genders are reversed? Hey, to each their own. Personally, I would date an older guy, but not a younger one - that's just my preference. But who are we to judge where others find love - especially when YOU have a giant age gap with your spouse??? Lisa is really starting to annoy the fuck out of me. 

I loved the rest of the episode - all the Kim/wedding stuff. Kathy seemed to be on good behavior, and the backyard setup was beautiful. Brooke's husband was grinning ear to ear while they were saying their vows, so that was very sweet. I just love seeing Kim's relationship with Monty. How cool is that they can remain friends after all these years? It's so great that she is taking care of him in his final days. What was the deal with his "second wife" being shown, though? Are they still together? Or was she simply invited because she had been a step-mother to Brooke at one time? Because if he is currently married, why wouldn't his wife be taking care of him, not Kim? I'm guessing they split up, but everyone still gets along. 

That seems to be a real pattern in Kim's life. Isn't she very close with Kimberly's dad as well? I, honestly, think that Kim is just a good person at heart. Yes, she is severely damaged and has struggled with substance abuse problems. And she often seems very immature, I think her early fame may have emotionally stunted her. But I think at the core of it all is a very caring person, who is able to get along with many people, when she's clean and making good choices for herself. Very happy for her and her daughter and the beautiful day they shared. 

I just can't with the Chanel dog bowl. That is all. 

• Love 22

I thought so too, but they are only three years apart according to Google.

Different Ken.  Lisa's Ken is 16 years older than she is.  They married when she was 21 and he was 37, and I think they only dated for about 6 weeks when they got married.  By the way, he was already a successful owner of a bar when they got hitched. 

There could be a whole variety of reasons why Lisa wouldn't want Max to date an older woman. As others have said, the ticking biological clock could be one, the fact that the gal might be looking to land a wealthy fellow is another.  The fact is that Lisa went on and on about the age thing, even going so far as to say she couldn't understand the attraction in such a large age gap. It could be editing, but this is the thing that Lisa will do that I hate. Lots of folks watching the show have no idea about the large age gap between Lisa and Ken (this knowledge comes from this forum and others I have read). She can just throw aside the reality of her own situation and act like the very idea of a large age gap is something foreign to her, when in fact it is something she is quite familiar with. As someone else said, this is probably going to be Lisa's story line this year, but we already went through this with Tamra on the OC show. At least in that case, when Tamra's son appeared to be headed down the same path that Tamra took years before, Tamra is acknowledging that she did the same thing and wishes her son would take a different road. 

• Love 4

I am very happy to see Kim sober this time around . As I have said before , last year she was " soberish" but now I think it's the real deal. I also think it's wonderful of her to be taking care of her sick ex. When you've screwed up so much of your life it's great to do something right for a change. I hope Kim sees that the joys of being there and really present for her kids far away the temporary relief her addictions provided her.

• Love 12

So, Lisa V. has an actual SWAN that just swims around in the water next to her front door?  That is some next level shit.  Everything about her exit from Villa Rosa to go to Palm Springs just screamed, "You will never, ever be this rich!!!!"

Hilarity.  And exactly what I watch BH for.  Nene Leakes has no earthly idea what "I'm rich, bitch" actually means. 

So Lisa's son Max is dating a woman 12 or 15 years his senior, and Lisa concedes that this is the reason they haven't welcomed her into the family, and she states this at the same time she's being honored by the LGBT community. Which, I imagine, is awarded to someone who is accepting and tolerant and non-discriminatory. Can you spell irony?

This.   It's not just the hypocrisy of this that bothers me, but the immediacy with which she is questioning this woman's motives.   I get that the placement of the gap might seem like a bad idea because at 22 and 36 they may simply be in different life stages but as Lisa herself can attest, at 45 and 57, that shit won't make a bit of difference.   I really get the sense that it's not the gap that bothers her as much as that the that it's weighted on the woman and I think Lisa's shitty for that sort of bias. 

Thayer's smile scared the hell out of me.

Kathy Hilton never ever needs to comment on anyone else's wardrobe choice again.

• Love 12

I also think it's wonderful of her to be taking care of her sick ex. When you've screwed up so much of your life it's great to do something right for a change.

I think Kim has a real need to have someone or something to care for. It's what gives her a purpose for staying sober. How many people in this world are happy if they live alone and have no one to look forward to seeing every day?

• Love 11

I'm wondering how long Rinna can play cheerleader to the crass lowbrow Vanderpump and Todd duo?  Rinna is a bit bawdy herself as a public persona.  But more than once I saw her shifting her eyes a bit.  You can see her looking at the dog and Rocio as Ken sits down and shifting his body like the help at the table threatens an onset of cooties.  There is a slight bit of bafflement and then it looks like she actually gets what is going on.  I want to see the moment when Rocio makes Ken and Lisa a special mole.

Lance Bass has become Bravo's little whore hasn't he?    I'm surprised Andy Cohen and he haven't cooked up the Real 'Mo's of Palm Springs.   I still want to know what the award committee considers Humanitarian efforts.  By Vanderpump?  Watch her.  she looks like she is always ready to grab.  anything.  Everything.  And I have yet to see her really use her shows to promote any real cause.  Whoring out her staff for a half-assed gay pride parade simply to film an episode for her show does not count.  Let alone her running after the WeHo bar crowd her two places weren't pulling in with her new bar.  I would so love a real BH wife that runs in the charity circuit to show up.  Both the Vanderpump-Todds and the Fosters have a very bad rep of glomming onto friends who pay the tab for charity event tables etc and then act all empty pockets when it is time to make a pledge. 

On the other hand Rinna and Hamlin have a very good rep for giving time even if it is for press coverage. 

Again.  I'll be interested in seeing how long Rinna can stand being put into a "prop Lisa Vanderpump's ego" role on the show.

The wedding was nice.  I'm a bit hard hearted though in that I thought the scenes with Monty were a bit overdone.  Sincere at heart but a bit gushing instead of being as personal as I think they could have been.  But I don't think the Richards sisters have it in them to just be sincere if there are cameras around.  From the day the two strutted into the grocery store season one with cameras in tow, Kim and Kyle seem to operate with a flip switch that is automatic if the camera goes on.    I was happy that Kathy was able to let Kim have her moment/day.  Though that might have been editing.

Eileen is playing a role and I think it could come back and bite her and the show in the ass. 

• Love 5
I couldn't believe how young Kim looked in her wedding pictures and when she had Brooke.

This! She looked like a baby herself !

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is slightly nauseated by the whole Lisa/Giggy thing. Giggy is a dog, he has legs, exercise is good for dogs, carrying around a dog all the time instead of having him walk is not good for his overall health. I get that he has a skin condition, many hairless dogs wear coats and sweaters in the cold, but they live in freaking SoCal and they were in Palm Springs, and Lisa kept talking about how hot it was. Why does he need to wear those ridiculous outfits?

This too.  I can't stand it.  I feel really bad for that dog.

Other than that, Kyle's dogs so happy to see her was my favorite part of the episode.   (although the Chanel bowl was beyond dumb.)

I loved the German Shepard jumping on the bed and Kyle half heartedly admonishing "you're not supposed to be on here."  Hee.  Same scenario at the jnymph household. (Did I hear her call the GS "River"?)

• Love 3

I just did a little Googling and found out that Ken's son, Warren, married Lisa's friend who was 16 years older.  I couldn't find out exactly when they were married but he was 23 when they had their son.  It seems to have worked out for them - as they are still together - but I think the odds aren't generally great in that scenario.

LOL.  Even when she put him down to walk, it's like it takes him a minute to kick start.  His front paws want to move but his little ass is still dragging.

I wonder if he is actually a motorized toy, ha,ha

• Love 2

Why does Eileen Davidson have such a flat effect? Her tone of voice never changes and she rarely smiles, even interacting with that cute son of hers. Strange...

Lisa and Ken disgust me. They have such an arrogant, condescending way towards their "help" and anyone they deem beneath them. I find them very disturbing.

Brandi, what a waste of a person. She never has anything interesting to say, just sex talk, F bombs and trashy gossip. Still can't understand WHO would listen to her snooze-fest Podcast??

One glass of wine my ass Yolanda. Poor sweet Bella had a few sips of Pinot and ran up to the gas station and oopsie daisy got pulled over. Puh-leaze.

I have to admit that if my son, when he's 22, started dating a 36 year old woman I would HATE it!!!

• Love 16

I'm so sick of Kim's, Kyles and Yolanda crying over their kids. Growing up so fast, going to college, moving out of the house, getting married. This is what all of our kids do. Stop it already with the tears, you're boring the shit out of me.

• Love 14

I think that the wedding had been unexpectedly moved up so that Monty could walk Brooke down the aisle.  For that reason, some of the original plans were changed (wasn't it a beach wedding when she tried on the dress?) and it may have become more casual.

That makes sense....then, I have to take back my comments about Mauricio.  :-)

• Love 2

Hardly any Brandi, which is always a plus. 

Not  a Kim fan, but am so happy she is sober. I didn't care for her dress when she showed it to Kyle on the hanger, but thought she looked lovely in it.

Yolanda and the King - blah, and I didn't think that song was all that great either.

Kyle - the Chanel dog bowl - we get it Kyle, Maurico is doing well and you have money now.  Enough.  And, enough whining about how tired all of you are - you could have come home a day or so earlier. Your choice.

Liked the scenes of Eileen Davidson on the Y&R set.   A long time All My Children fan, I enjoyed that tiny glimpse behind the scenes of a soap.

Lisa Vanderpump - I didn't like how she asked Rosario to leave either.  Although Rosario seemed glad to be able to exit - she seemed very uncomfortable at the table.  Lisa's son Max - what is up with him - he clearly looked unhappy to be there, and I don't think it was because Lisa didn't want the girlfriend there (although would it have killed Lisa to include her?)  Max seems like the black sheep of the family.

Loved the caftan Lisa Rinna wore to breakfast.  Gorgeous.

• Love 5
Did they say what Bella's BAC was? I didn't hear it.  In California, a minor caught driving under the influence only has to blow a .01 and if they blow a .05 they are subject to arrest.  If she had one glass of wine (or a beer, or whatever) she'd be .01 right afterward.  She's underage so this is a huge deal, fines, loss of drivers license for a year, classes, etc. They are really really tough on underage drinkers who drive in California (or even if you aren't driving). It'll be interesting to see if she gets treated differently due to her parents' wealth and influence. It'd piss me off, but I wouldn't be surprised.

You know, I totally spaced that she is underage, so the BAC we have to meet wouldn't necessarily be the same. I still doubt she had ONE glass of wine, though. She was likely at a party and "drinking", not just sipping on a glass while lunching with the ladies. 

• Love 4
Did they say what Bella's BAC was? I didn't hear it.  In California, a minor caught driving under the influence only has to blow a .01 and if they blow a .05 they are subject to arrest.

According to media reports, she blew a 0.14. Females typically have to consume 3 drinks in an hour to blow a 0.08. Hers was almost double that. 

• Love 5

Although Eileen seems a bit stiff I did like her niece.  Eileen writes in her blog that Annamarie's mother raised her a single mom and Eileen was a big part of her life.  Sadly, Annamarie's mother passed from complications due to breast cancer last March, leaving Eileen as her mom figure.  Eileen's husband also has connections to Monty from the professional poker world.

We are several episodes in and still Lisa V. and her bad friend comments.  In the first place Kyle was in Spain when she got her star, Lisa's ceremony was the week before Kim's daughter's wedding, Lisa had not met Eileen, she and Brandi weren't speaking so technically the only person she excluded was Yolanda.  Yolanda and David invited Lisa to David's star ceremony-seems a bit punitive and not in the spirit of moving forward.  Alas Yolanda's biggest beef being cut out of camera time.

I appreciate Kim stayed close with Monty but please tone down the exaggeration.  Kim went on to marry again, have three more children, as did Monty and have two children.  I seriously doubt they "lived" together since they split.  I thought Kim claimed she was drunk for "a big chunk" of her children's lives?  It is a wonderful thing she is doing taking care of Monty in his last days but don't rewrite history and the expense of others.

• Love 6

So we are 5 episodes in and save for her one lunch with Lisa R, I don't think Eileen hasn't filmed with any other cast members. 

So Eileen is actually doing a 'fabulous life of Eileen Davidson' web series that is airing as part of RHOBH but is not actually a RHOBH cast member.  Five episodes in with no cast interaction (and Lisa R. introduces her lunch does not count) is bizarre.

It's starting to look like RH is just a PR stunt for Eileen and she has no intention of actually being part of this cast.  If you're not going to play, Eileen, get off the field.

• Love 6

So Brandi certainly doesn't get the point of family friendly.  End of story.

It's not a tragic mistake, folks.  If you're going to let your kids 'fly', then they are going to make mistakes, but unless someone dies, it's not tragic.  I get about Yo's dad dying in a car accident (mine did, too).  But your kid made a mistake, it's not the end of the world.

After all the discussion about Monty, I half expected to see the 'black screen' at the end of the episode, as in In Memory of.  G-d bless him.

• Love 5

I am beginning to see a pattern this season. Right before this season started, Lisa V was on WWHL saying that this was a great season and of course AC was fawning all over. She said she didn't want to come back but according to Lisa, AC talked her into it. Well of course she thinks it's a great season, she is getting a great edit. It's all about how fab Lisa is. Kyle is also getting a great edit, after getting called a mean girl in the last couple seasons. With Yo doing her typical Yo thing and, Brandi and Eileen being new, what's the freaking storyline this season? That scene where someone gets accused of something and drinks are tossed better happen soon before I stop watching. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 5
Lisa and Ken can lose me with all their disdain over Max dating an older woman. Isn't Ken sixteen years older than Lisa??? Something like that? I thought she was 21 when they met and he was in his late 30s. What? Is it because the genders are reversed? Hey, to each their own. Personally, I would date an older guy, but not a younger one - that's just my preference. But who are we to judge where others find love - especially when YOU have a giant age gap with your spouse??? Lisa is really starting to annoy the fuck out of me.

Yes, and amen! I could see, perhaps, Lisa having a leg to stand on with her opinions on Max and his girlfriend.  But when YOU married a man 15 years YOUR senior?  Lady, sit the eff down and have several seats. 

Also I must give a shout-out to the parents of my ex, whom I am 10 years older than. His parents welcomed me with open arms and hearts from day 1 and treated me as if I was their own daughter. I always knew they were wonderful people, but after hearing Lisa and a number of people here on PTV opine about the matter...let's just say that I am even more appreciative of them. 

I noticed some editing hijinks tonight.  Porsha wanted her hair in a bun prior to getting in the limo to Brooke's wedding, yet we saw footage of the wedding with her hair down?

Portia had her hair in a bun when they exited the limo at Big Kathy's house.  Maybe she took in down later in the evening.   Not sure about Kyle.  When your hair is so long, thick, and straight like that, it can be difficult to hold a curl for a long period of time. 

I loved the rest of the episode - all the Kim/wedding stuff. Kathy seemed to be on good behavior, and the backyard setup was beautiful. Brooke's husband was grinning ear to ear while they were saying their vows, so that was very sweet. I just love seeing Kim's relationship with Monty. How cool is that they can remain friends after all these years? It's so great that she is taking care of him in his final days. What was the deal with his "second wife" being shown, though? Are they still together? Or was she simply invited because she had been a step-mother to Brooke at one time? Because if he is currently married, why wouldn't his wife be taking care of him, not Kim? I'm guessing they split up, but everyone still gets along.

I really enjoyed the pre-wedding and the wedding scenes, too.  Kim and Monty seem to have a very sweet, authentic affection for one another. I was wondering about his 2nd wife too though, and whether they were still together. I figured if they were still married, she probably would have been titled as "Monty's current wife" instead of "2nd wife" but who knows!  

After all the discussion about Monty, I half expected to see the 'black screen' at the end of the episode, as in In Memory of.  G-d bless him.

I think Kim's recent blog said he is hanging in there and actually doing OK. 

That scene where someone gets accused of something and drinks are tossed better happen soon before I stop watching.

Right!?  I mean I enjoyed the nice yacht scenes and the nice wedding scenes, but I am ready for some drama, damnit!! 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 5

All I can say is David Foster has never WON an Oscar. 

Gigi was not Sports Illustrated Rookie of the Year.

Yolanda lies.  It must be embarrassing to her family for her to overstate.

She will blame that on Lyme-brain, probably!!

I think Yolanda equates being nominated with winning. David, I believe was nominated several times for "Best Song" Oscars.  As Eileen said - there is a BIG difference between winning and being nominated....

I also think Gigi may have been one of the top ten finalists for SI Rookie of the Year, but didn't make the top five.

I'm happy that she's proud of her family's accomplishments, but she really shouldn't embellish about those things...it's too easy to prove wrong. 

• Love 5

I cannot express how happy it made me to see those ostentatious assholes attacked by their own swan.

Speaking of treating help - Lisa couldn't carry her own fucking drink to her own bedroom?  She had a purse in one hand, and after setting Giggy down, had the other hand free. That's how you put the help in their place.  And Lisa - if you want your help to understand your commands, try paying them a bit more so you can hire someone with a better command of English.

That is the man's job. If she wished to do it herself, he wouldn't have a job. Hopefully he is proud of his work and doesn't feel less than because his job IS to serve.

Except he wasn't drinking when that happened.

Although Eileen seems a bit stiff I did like her niece.  Eileen writes in her blog that Annamarie's mother raised her a single mom and Eileen was a big part of her life.  Sadly, Annamarie's mother passed from complications due to breast cancer last March, leaving Eileen as her mom figure.  Eileen's husband also has connections to Monty from the professional poker world.

We are several episodes in and still Lisa V. and her bad friend comments.  In the first place Kyle was in Spain when she got her star, Lisa's ceremony was the week before Kim's daughter's wedding, Lisa had not met Eileen, she and Brandi weren't speaking so technically the only person she excluded was Yolanda.  Yolanda and David invited Lisa to David's star ceremony-seems a bit punitive and not in the spirit of moving forward.  Alas Yolanda's biggest beef being cut out of camera time.

I appreciate Kim stayed close with Monty but please tone down the exaggeration.  Kim went on to marry again, have three more children, as did Monty and have two children.  I seriously doubt they "lived" together since they split.  I thought Kim claimed she was drunk for "a big chunk" of her children's lives?  It is a wonderful thing she is doing taking care of Monty in his last days but don't rewrite history and the expense of others.

I think it does say something about Kim that her ex husbands seem to love and care about her as she does them.

• Love 6

One glass of wine my ass Yolanda. Poor sweet Bella had a few sips of Pinot and ran up to the gas station and oopsie daisy got pulled over. Puh-leaze.

After reading your comment and multiple others here regarding the "one glass of wine" - I'm thinking that maybe that is what Bella told Yolanda, but Bella forgot to include anything other alcoholic beverages she may have had BEFORE that one glass of wine. 

• Love 3

Of course she's a hypocrite! But even worse was the overt discrimination. And we know the editing monkeys were at work here, because they love this stuff: The scene went from Lisa saying she's been "reticent in accepting" the gf (key words "reticent" and "accepting") because of the age difference, to her saying to her gay friends at the table that "so many parents need to be persuaded to love their children unequivocally" in relation to gay acceptance. It was the very next sentence out of her mouth! Or if it was edited, at least it was during the same conversation.

As a comparison, it was a poorly done one by the editing monkeys. No where does Lisa's reticence about accepting the age difference between her son and his girlfriend suggest that she doesn't love her son unequivocally. In fact, her concerns suggest exactly the opposite. It is obvious that Lisa loves her son without restriction and is worried that he is making a mistake. 

I don't see how that in any way makes her a hypocrite for supporting the LBGT community. I think that Lisa's concerns are valid. Her son is 22, presumably still finding his way and most likely not mature enough to settle into a relationship. His girlfriend is in her mid 30's, chances are that if she is looking for a long term relationship, she is ready to settle down. That puts a great deal of pressure on the relationship at the start and puts her son at a disadvantage. He doesn't have nearly the life experience that she has and the two are on unequal footing.

The age difference between Ken and Lisa may be a factor in her worries about her son or they may not. She may remember how difficult it was when they married. Or, given the time and place that the two got together, the age difference wasn't as uncommon as we know that older men get together with younger women all the time. 

I could see most parents being concerned about such a major age difference when the child is only just getting out on their own. Even if, or especially if, they themselves had to overcome a major age difference in their own relationship. I am always amused by how shocked people are to find out that parents tend to fall on the side of hypocrisy when it comes to their own children.

The phrase "do as I say and not as i do" is a cliche for a reason. Parents tend to want their kids to avoid the hardships they went through even if those hardships turned them into better people, or everything worked out for them in the long run. It's the nature of parents. 

My parents were teenagers when they had me and even though they are about to celebrate 40 years of marriage, they never would have wanted me to have made the same decisions they did. I don't think that makes them hypocrites, I think that just makes them parents.

• Love 19

But would you hate it if the 22 year old were your daughter? 

Yea, this is at the heart of it. My wish for my son, who is about the same age, would not be to fall in love with someone that much older, but I can say the same thing about my daughter.  I noticed when Lisa was talking about it in the kitchen with Ken, she said something like Ken just couldn't wrap his arms around the idea of being with a gal so much older than he was.  I was screaming at the TV, trying to remind Lisa that she was somehow able to cope with the idea of being with someone much older when she was the same age as Max.  And it seemed to work out just fine. 

I also noticed on second viewing that it sounds like Lisa has never met this girl. She said that having her at the Palm Springs deal would be weird because it would be the first time she was meeting the gal. Very strange indeed. Must be more to this story. Lisa also said something about her being a model. 

• Love 2

But would you hate it if the 22 year old were your daughter? 

I think I would be unhappy with that decision from a 22 yr. old, either male or female. 

As you said earlier, the older you get, the 15 year age difference doesn't seem so bad.

I also think that the age of 22 in 2014 is not the same as the age of 22 in the 1970's/80's.  Most 22 year olds I now know (my sons' friends) seem to be less mature than I was at the age of 22.  Heck, I was married at 22, and I look at these kids and say "Wow...I can't even imagine them being married".

Max seems like he may be a bit immature for his age, or just not "cooked all the way" - as Judge Judy likes to say....so, maybe that is one of the things that bothers Lisa about it.

• Love 9

It's starting to look like RH is just a PR stunt for Eileen and she has no intention of actually being part of this cast.  If you're not going to play, Eileen, get off the field.

The reason she's appeared by herself is to edit her into the earlier episodes so we didn't have to wait until she met the girls to see her. She was added much later to filming, which is why it is taking too long. She's introduced to the cast next week and will be a true cast member from then on. Back in the day they would just add the wife when she truly appeared, but now they do the editing trick to make them seem like they were around. RHOA is doing that now with Claudia Jordan who was originally intended to be a Friend. She'll pop up for a scene or two (obviously filmed later) and she isn't included in the group scenes because she obviously wasn't cast at that point.

• Love 2
I appreciate Kim stayed close with Monty but please tone down the exaggeration.  Kim went on to marry again, have three more children, as did Monty and have two children.  I seriously doubt they "lived" together since they split.

From what I heard she said they lived together "off and on" over the years. I'm betting that until recently it was more off than on. 

• Love 3
LOL.  Even when she put him down to walk, it's like it takes him a minute to kick start.  His front paws want to move but his little ass is still dragging.

Yeah, I realized I felt a huge relief at seeing Kyle's dogs just running around being dogs, even when they were misbehaving.

is it my imagination or is Mauricio starting to get a bit flabby/out-of-shape?

Was he ever in shape? He could definitely be flabbier now, but I never thought of him as particularly buff before.

I think Kim has a real need to have someone or something to care for. It's what gives her a purpose for staying sober

Unfortunately, this didn't seem to help when she had small children to raise. I did wonder about her saying how Monty would show up and disappear throughout her life. He sounds like a flake too. But I'm glad he has her now while he's going through this. 

If I were Lisa I would feel way to embarrassed to accept that ridiculous star. What on earth does it even mean? I'd just feel so silly being a reality show, which means you're not going to be famous 15 minutes from now, and getting a star somewhere, especially for something as nebulous as being a friend to the LGBT community.

• Love 4

Yea, this is at the heart of it. My wish for my son, who is about the same age, would not be to fall in love with someone that much older, but I can say the same thing about my daughter.  I noticed when Lisa was talking about it in the kitchen with Ken, she said something like Ken just couldn't wrap his arms around the idea of being with a gal so much older than he was.  I was screaming at the TV, trying to remind Lisa that she was somehow able to cope with the idea of being with someone much older when she was the same age as Max.  And it seemed to work out just fine. 

I also noticed on second viewing that it sounds like Lisa has never met this girl. She said that having her at the Palm Springs deal would be weird because it would be the first time she was meeting the gal. Very strange indeed. Must be more to this story. Lisa also said something about her being a model. 

MatildaMoody, this is the crux of the hypocrisy right here.  Ms. Detroit articulated it far better than I could've.  She's only bothered by the age difference occurring in one direction.   I don't have any objection to a parent being concerned about it either way as njbchlover said above, on many levels, it's a legitimate concern.   But if you're bothered by a woman being older than a man, not at all by the other way around, yeah, that's shitty in my opinion.   And I'm sorry, trying to freeze the girl out of a function your son invited her to is immature as hell and not at all the proper hostess Lisa purports to be.  The other thing that makes her a hypocrite is, as was mentioned upthread, her touting the importance of accepting your children's decisions and loving them for whom they are regardless.      Uh huh. 

Edited by ZaldamoWilder
  • Love 10

As a comparison, it was a poorly done one by the editing monkeys. No where does Lisa's reticence about accepting the age difference between her son and his girlfriend suggest that she doesn't love her son unequivocally. In fact, her concerns suggest exactly the opposite. It is obvious that Lisa loves her son without restriction and is worried that he is making a mistake. 

I don't see how that in any way makes her a hypocrite for supporting the LBGT community. I think that Lisa's concerns are valid. Her son is 22, presumably still finding his way and most likely not mature enough to settle into a relationship. His girlfriend is in her mid 30's, chances are that if she is looking for a long term relationship, she is ready to settle down. That puts a great deal of pressure on the relationship at the start and puts her son at a disadvantage. He doesn't have nearly the life experience that she has and the two are on unequal footing.

Completely agree that Lisa's concern over the age gap didn't ring any alarm bells about her love for Max.  

I am not sure if any of this makes Lisa look like a hypocrite on the LGBT issue, but it certainly does based on her own experience with marrying a man 16 years her senior.  Either way, it was an interesting scene at dinner. You have a gay fellow telling about how growing up in the midwest he felt like he couldn't be himself and love who he wanted. Lisa interviews that this is terrible. Folks should be able to love who they want. Then she starts talking about Max having a girlfriend who is so much older and behaves as if this is the primary reason they should not be together. I do believe there is probably more to it than that, but this was the reason she gave. It was odd for her to sit there on the one hand and shame society (rightly so IMO - because a lot of society should still be ashamed) on the lingering intolerance of homosexuality, but at the same time not like the person that her own child has decided to love, based on reasons that as far as we know, the girl cannot change. 

Maybe not hypocritical, but it is a reminder that folks have all kinds of reasons for taking the stance that they do, and often times intolerance is excused for a whole host of reasons.  Maybe to some it is OK for Lisa to not like the relationship based on the fact that it might make it harder for her to be a Grandma. I call bullshit on that. That is the same reason my grandmother had for her disdain over my gay Aunt. There would be no grandchildren.  Of course there were because adoption exists (as do other remedies).  Since Lisa adopted Max, she should be familiar with the concept. 

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 4

See, that annoys me. She isn't a fan of the relationship based on age alone. I'll be frank, if either my daughter or one of my sons was dating someone in their late 30s when they were 22, I'd probably be a tad concerned. Okay, maybe more than a tad. And there ARE many valid reasons to be concerned about such an age gap. But, at the same time, there are plenty of people who end up finding lasting love with someone quite a bit older than them. I would think that I would need to meet said person, see how she interacts with my son, get a feel for her real motivations/intentions/etc. before making a judgment. 

Obviously we know little and less about this situation. But it appears that Max would LIKE to bring his girlfriend around and Ken and Lisa are dodging the situation for as long as they can. Maybe they just think it will go away. I think that's a mistake. I think the best thing would to do would be gracious and welcoming, until you have a bigger concern than the age issue alone. All she's going to accomplish is pushing Max away. You can have a heart to heart, and express concern, without alienating the person from your life. 

Until I hear more from Lisa, all I can really assume is that her sole issue is the woman's age, and that just smacks of hypocrisy. 

• Love 5

I'm so sick of Kim's, Kyles and Yolanda crying over their kids. Growing up so fast, going to college, moving out of the house, getting married. This is what all of our kids do. Stop it already with the tears, you're boring the shit out of me.

Missing your kids is hardly an offense.  What's boring me to tears is constantly seeing that low class, skank Brandi Glanville, and her poor me, poor me victim mentality.

• Love 13

Okay, so I can't watch this apparently snoozefest until I get off work.

I was double-checking to make sure it was set up for the DVR (because I'm extremely anal/OCD in that way), when I saw Kim Richards was supposed to be on WWHL tonight.

However, on my TV screen sat Ms. Vicki Gulvanson, no Kim Richards anywhere to be seen.

Does anybody know why Kim didn't show up to the clubhouse tonight or was it maybe an inaccurate guest lineup on the DVR?

First thing I thought of was the infamous line from RHOBH:   "Where's Kim?  Does anybody know where Kim is?"

1H9uVUI.jpg

• Love 4

I appreciate Kim stayed close with Monty but please tone down the exaggeration.  Kim went on to marry again, have three more children, as did Monty and have two children.  I seriously doubt they "lived" together since they split.  I thought Kim claimed she was drunk for "a big chunk" of her children's lives?  It is a wonderful thing she is doing taking care of Monty in his last days but don't rewrite history and the expense of others

I don't think she insinuated that they've lived together since their split, nor that he was the "love of her life."  She only states that they've lived together since his illness.  And that it was always the friendship between them that was so important, not necessarily the romance. 

Hmmmm ...  a direct quote from Lisa from that Daily Mail article somebody was kind enough to link:

'When Warren first met Sue, the 16 year age difference, the secrecy that had transpired, was not something we supported,' Lisa explained on her blog.

'But I learned a very valuable lesson, when our children make a choice, remember our opinions and influence are pretty much redundant. The intimacy between a couple supersedes the parental relationship and take heed - it is not a battle that is worth fighting

She somehow seems to have forgotten her "lessons learned" when it comes to her own son. Or is just choosing to ignore it.

I just did a little Googling and found out that Ken's son, Warren, married Lisa's friend who was 16 years older.  I couldn't find out exactly when they were married but he was 23 when they had their son.  It seems to have worked out for them - as they are still together - but I think the odds aren't generally great in that scenario.

With the current divorce rate around 50%, I'd say the odds aren't great for *any* married couple. 

Warren (Ken's stepson) and his wife Sue's Ryan is currently 22.  According to that Daily Mail article, Warren was born in 1966, making him around 48 now.  Therefore, he would have been around 26 when Ryan was born - and Sue around 41/42. 

In conclusion, Lisa should see that Max's girlfriend has time to have a baby.  And even if she couldn't or didn't... isn't there always adoption?  Like, ya know, how she adopted Max?? 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 6

Hardly any Brandi, which is always a plus.

Not a Kim fan, but am so happy she is sober. I didn't care for her dress when she showed it to Kyle on the hanger, but thought she looked lovely in it.

Yolanda and the King - blah, and I didn't think that song was all that great either.

Kyle - the Chanel dog bowl - we get it Kyle, Maurico is doing well and you have money now. Enough. And, enough whining about how tired all of you are - you could have come home a day or so earlier. Your choice.

Liked the scenes of Eileen Davidson on the Y&R set. A long time All My Children fan, I enjoyed that tiny glimpse behind the scenes of a soap.

Lisa Vanderpump - I didn't like how she asked Rosario to leave either. Although Rosario seemed glad to be able to exit - she seemed very uncomfortable at the table. Lisa's son Max - what is up with him - he clearly looked unhappy to be there, and I don't think it was because Lisa didn't want the girlfriend there (although would it have killed Lisa to include her?) Max seems like the black sheep of the family.

Loved the caftan Lisa Rinna wore to breakfast. Gorgeous.

It makes it easy when I don't have ff so much. It seemed she only had a couple scenes. The show works pretty good without Brandy.

I'm sure I'll have to force myself to watch her as the season moves on. It looks like they ladies interact more as season goes on. But for now, its working for me.

• Love 3

I also think Gigi may have been one of the top ten finalists for SI Rookie of the Year, but didn't make the top five.

Am I the only one that keeps mixing up Gigi with Giggy?   

At first I thought Lisa V's dog was a top 10 finalist for Sports Illustrated.  

eta:

Perhaps I just have dogs on the brain.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 10

Yeah my BS radar was pinging from Yolanda's glass of wine at a summer party just happened to get pulled over story. Turns out she was driving on a suspended license, blew through a stop sign, nearly hit a car, and blew a .14. Try again, Yo.

Loved the lack of Brandi. She is not needed AT ALL.

Brooke's husband melted my cold black heart. How cute and sweet was he??

Kyle amuses me with her never ending tackiness. A Chanel garbage can, really?

• Love 11

Completely agree that Lisa's concern over the age gap didn't ring any alarm bells about her love for Max.  

I am not sure if any of this makes Lisa look like a hypocrite on the LGBT issue, but it certainly does based on her own experience with marrying a man 16 years her senior.  Either way, it was an interesting scene at dinner. You have a gay fellow telling about how growing up in the midwest he felt like he couldn't be himself and love who he wanted. Lisa interviews that this is terrible. Folks should be able to love who they want. Then she starts talking about Max having a girlfriend who is so much older and behaves as if this is the primary reason they should not be together. I do believe there is probably more to it than that, but this was the reason she gave. It was odd for her to sit there on the one hand and shame society (rightly so IMO - because a lot of society should still be ashamed) on the lingering intolerance of homosexuality, but at the same time not like the person that her own child has decided to love, based on reasons that as far as we know, the girl cannot change. 

Maybe not hypocritical, but it is a reminder that folks have all kinds of reasons for taking the stance that they do, and often times intolerance is excused for a whole host of reasons.  Maybe to some it is OK for Lisa to not like the relationship based on the fact that it might make it harder for her to be a Grandma. I call bullshit on that. That is the same reason my grandmother had for her disdain over my gay Aunt. There would be no grandchildren.  Of course there were because adoption exists (as do other remedies).  Since Lisa adopted Max, she should be familiar with the concept. 

But that is just it. We don't know that Lisa doesn't like this woman. We only know that she is worried about the relationship. We only know that they have not met her yet and having her at this televised event is the first time that she will be meeting her. These are things that would be worrisome to any parent regardless of what they did in their own lives.

Yes, it probably meets the textbook definition of hypocrisy for Lisa to have issue with the age difference since she is married to a man with the same age difference. But, it doesn't make her any different than any other parent out there. I don't see it as hypocrisy when compared to LGBT issues though because we know that Lisa has not shunned Max or cut him out of the family based on this relationship. Lisa's issue is with the age difference, we don't know that she has an issue with the woman, and we know that she does not have an issue with Max.

And sorry but, parents are hypocrites by nature. They have to be if they want to protect their children from making the same mistakes they did. I have yet to meet a single parent who could say that they haven't done or said something hypocritical when it comes to raising their own children. It is the nature of being parents.

She somehow seems to have forgotten her "lessons learned" when it comes to her own son. Or is just choosing to ignore it.

So far all Lisa has done is voice concerns over the age difference. We haven't see her fighting any battles or trying to ice Max or his girlfriend out of their lives. They haven't even met yet. Them being hesitant about meeting her for the first time on television is understandable even with out the age difference.

• Love 13

I will give Lisa crap about lots of things, but being concerned that her son is dating a woman who biologically is old enough to be their parent isn't one of them. Lisa and Ken are rolling in it. I'm sure they are suspicious of anyone their child dates. I have no money and I'm suspicious, LOL. It's parental instinct. If my son OR my daughter got involved in a relationship with someone much older, I'd be concerned. But they should at least try to get to know the woman before they dismiss her. 

• Love 6

I don't think anybody was making the point that she's different from most parents out there.   I think the overall point (mine anyway) was that her concern is legitimate.  But if what it's based on only applies in one instance and not another, then it's not cool.   Girl, I am all about the parental concern of it all, but never about unfairness.  The statement she made in the kitchen to Ken is nearly a guarantee that her feelings about Max's relationship would not apply if she were talking about Pandora.   But this wasn't meant to be a diatribe on parenthood, I'm really just talking about the ironic position of an LGBT advocate being biased.

• Love 5

But that is just it. We don't know that Lisa doesn't like this woman. We only know that she is worried about the relationship. We only know that they have not met her yet and having her at this televised event is the first time that she will be meeting her. These are things that would be worrisome to any parent regardless of what they did in their own lives.

Yes, it probably meets the textbook definition of hypocrisy for Lisa to have issue with the age difference since she is married to a man with the same age difference. But, it doesn't make her any different than any other parent out there. I don't see it as hypocrisy when compared to LBGT issues though because we know that Lisa has not shunned Max or cut him out of the family based on this relationship. Lisa's issue is with the age difference, we don't know that she has an issue with the woman, and we know that she does not have an issue with Max.

And sorry but, parents are hypocrites by nature. They have to be if they want to protect their children from making the same mistakes they did. I have yet to meet a single parent who could say that they haven't done or said something hypocritical when it comes to raising their own children. It is the nature of being parents.

So far all Lisa has done is voice concerns over the age difference. We haven't see her fighting any battles or trying to ice Max or his girlfriend out of their lives. They haven't even met yet. Them being hesitant about meeting her for the first time on television is understandable even with out the age difference.

Max's girlfriend works at SUR so I am quite certain Lisa would have met her.  Lisa said in her blog that the girlfriend accompanied them to Palm Springs this last weekend and described Max's relationship as "rocky".  She will accept it if they move forward.  it is in her Bravo blog.

• Love 3

Why does Eileen Davidson have such a flat effect? Her tone of voice never changes and she rarely smiles, even interacting with that cute son of hers. Strange...

Agreed. I can't stand her.  She seems like a cold fish who thinks she is much hotter than she actually is.

Agreed. I can't stand her.  She seems like a cold fish who thinks she is much hotter than she actually is.

Kyle amuses me with her never ending tackiness. A Chanel garbage can, really?

Yes.  She could really be a stunner, but I hate almost everything she wears.  Her jewelry is beyond tacky.  And that hair is awful -- she's too old to carry that off.    Now a fucking Chanel watering bowl for the dog?

• Love 6

I totally agree. And I hope everyone voicing their opinion will keep this in mind. My opinion is that it A) may not be an age thing, they may be worried she's a gold-digger, or B) they didn't want to meet her for the first time on national TV, or C) they respected their son's wishes not to have it become a full-blown episode of RHoBH when they meet.

Could be any number of things. We have no idea because we are not behind the walls of the swan-guarded home.

• Love 3

For the record, my swans are well behaved.

Did anyone else catch the scene in Palm Springs when Lisa Rinna got out of the limo and waived to the crowd?  I heard crickets.

When Kim said that Monty would come and go from her house from time to time it made me think there might have been a substance abuse issue with him. 

• Love 20