Type keyword(s) to search

Hosts Chemistry: Re La Ti O N S H I P

• Start Topic

I don't understand why RO doesn't push back a little harder with her.

I think it's just that, she doesn't want to get put back into that "big, fat, lesbian Rosie" vs the new Republican on the panel.  Rosie O knows what the outcome will be if she pushes back even a little against Nicole, she will get the same results as before when it was her vs Bitsy.  I don't know Faux News views on Nicole Wallace and if they support her or don't since she is still seen as one of the reasons Palin failed, but I have no doubt they would roast Rosie O again if she went on the attack against Nicole Wallace and the Republican Party.  

I don't think Nicole can defend herself very well either and Rosie O knows this and that's why she holds back against her and Rosie P....w/Whoopi though, Rosie is playing it smart and still get the digs in and her points across.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 7

I didn't see it at first but I'm starting to believe that Whoopi really feels threatened by RO, which of course I think she should, not because RO has been threatening in any way but because RO certainly has a more successful track record as far as talk shows go.  And I've never heard her bitch out an audience the way Whoopi has been doing this season.  

Differences of opinion on the Hot Topics is one thing but I can't think of any other reason Whoopi has decided to make her dislike of all things Frozen a regular feature. I say feature, because I don't think Whoopi actually picks the real Hot Topics.  From her  "there aren't any Black people in it" to "there aren't any tree ornaments for boys because it's all Frozen stuff ."  which isn't even true.  Constantly mocking RO about it has gone from fun to rude.  Today she reminded us that she "loves Disney" and "goes there all the time"  but then bitched about the Frozen ornaments for the second day in a row. 

To Rosie's credit, she isn't biting but she doesn't seem to be having much fun either.   In fact, this show in general isn't nearly as fun as used to be when there was an entire Table of Morons.  Try just listening to the first fifteen minutes and not watching.   Today, I finally had to look and see if RO was even there today - a full eight minutes before I even heard her speak.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

I didn't see it at first but I'm starting to believe that Whoopi really feels threatened by RO, 

I wonder how their relationship off the air is or if they even have a relationship. It just seems to me, that Whoopi seems really annoyed by everything, but in particular Rosie O. on that panel. 

Whenever I do watch, it seems like Rosie O. is on the outside looking in. I don't really see her connecting/gelling with her co-hosts. 

I think the casting is off and it really shows. I don't expect these women to be the best of friends, but sometimes I watch, and I can't help but think to myself, "Do any of them like Rosie O?" "Does Rosie O. even want to be there anymore?"

I did get a good laugh out of Rosie O. bringing up Bill Cosby tweeting out thank you's to celebrities who had voiced their support of him. Very nice, Ro. Whoopi then reacting by becoming defensive. I bet she didn't see that one coming. 

Edited by jonesingjay
  • Love 3

I don't think Whoopie is threatened by RO at all!   She has a grandson and made a good point about Frozen dominating the toy scene and having a hard time with finding good boy toys.  I get that.  

I miss Meredith, she was the best moderator/host/anchor on that show.  

• Love 1

I have to admit, Whoopi going out of her way to be contrary to Ro at ever turn did surprise me.

I haven't been a fan of WG for a while (rape-rape). But I thought that Ro and WG would have gotten along fine.

WG can stop bitching about the Christmas decorations, I know it's just her taking a shot at RO.

I have a son and I had no problem finding "boy" Disney Christmas decorations.

Eta: my son loves the Lilo and stitch movies so I bought an ornament with them on it. Lilo is a girl so is that still considered a "boy" ornament stitch is an alien but assume he's a boy lol, (shrugs)? We also bought Jake and the Neverland pirates. That should be very boy, right? Sorry the boy toy girl toy annoys me. WG is a pain in ass.

Another little thing that I have noticed, since waking from her coma WG is into dancing. I only noticed this recently. Never saw her do that before.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 7

And I've never heard her bitch out an audience the way Whoopi has been doing this season.

Whoopi treats the View audience like we are a nuisance or something. Guess what Whoopi?  Just because you get paid to express your view doesn't mean it's any more valid than all of us folks who simply state our view because of little thing called Freedom of Speech. 

And I agree that Whoopi is threatened by RosieO.

Oh most definitely.  Before Rosie O came back onboard Whoopi was the biggest celeb at the table.  Now with Rosie O there Whoopi ain't top dog anymore.  Whoopi might have more celeb friends but Rosie has more fans (crazy Republicans not withstanding).

• Love 12

Sorry the boy toy girl toy annoys me.

Once upon a time these words would have come out of Whoopi's mouth. They would have probably been  directed at a former co-host. So, she switched it up a bit to fit yet another co-host. Strange woman.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 4

I think this should go here...even though it happened on today's ep, it is more about the relationship between WG and RO.  RO was saying how Claire Danes is on this other level of acting, that even as an actress when watching her, she RO realizes she could not do that level of acting (something like that).  And WG says something like, oh I can (implying that she could play anything anyone else plays), and RO quickly came back with, of course, you're an EGOT.  Now, RO was probably sincere but I think that their relationship is definitely strained.  It also seems like WG is countering RO even when she presumably agrees with her.

• Love 8

I don't think Whoopi and Rosie O feud will ever blow up on air.  IMO Whoopi can't be arsed to muster up the energy to get too emotional and Rosie doesn't want to appear unhinged like she did her first time around on the View.

I really wish Sunny Hostin got the slot over Rosie Perez or that Nicolle person.  I know Sunny was perceived as Sherri wannabe for some reason, but I can't see Sunny tolerating the victim blaming, powerful man water carrying bullshit that Whoopi engages in.  Unless the show said not to engage Whoopi too much, then whatever.

• Love 2

IMO Whoopi can't be arsed to muster up the energy to get too emotional

After her outburst on Thursday, I'm not so sure.  I hope you are correct because this is getting painful to watch.  Hopefully the break will give them both some time to I'm not sure what, look at tapes and reconsider the track they are going down.

After her [Whoopi's] outburst on Thursday, I'm not so sure.  I hope you are correct because this is getting painful to watch.  Hopefully the break will give them both some time to I'm not sure what, look at tapes and reconsider the track they are going down.

Somehow I don't think Whoopi spends any time reflecting on her performance on this show.  Someone on RO's blog asked her if the co-hosts ever have meetings where they review tapes of the show or talk about past shows.  The answer was, "No, we do not."    Not surprising I suppose.  If any of the co-hosts do watch the show it's on their own time. 

I'm venturing in YMMV territory here, but after reading the Radaronline article, if it boils down to who is more *intelligent*, my vote is Whoopi, hands-down. I like Rosie fine. But When you read or hear interviews with Whoopi, she comes off very intelligently, thoughtfully, and well-read in a way that Rosie is not. Where Rosie may know the lyrics to tv theme songs, Whoopi reads Rilke. Unfortunately this show is not a good medium for that side of her. In fact, I think the reason she comes off as bored on this show is because she *is.* My point being, it is a bit ridiculous for Team Rosie (or Team Anti-Whoopi) to try a "Whoopi is stupid" campaign. There are arguments for Whoopi not to be a host - boredom, rudeness (I don't completely buy them, but I'm a fan, and I can see why non-fans would offer them as arguments) - but her intelligence is not one of them.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1

I'm venturing in YMMV territory here, but after reading the Radaronline article, if it boils down to who is more *intelligent*, my vote is Whoopi, hands-down. I like Rosie fine. But When you read or hear interviews with Whoopi, she comes off very intelligently, thoughtfully, and well-read in a way that Rosie is not. Where Rosie may know the lyrics to tv theme songs, Whoopi reads Rilke. Unfortunately this show is not a good medium for that side of her. In fact, I think the reason she comes off as bored on this show is because she *is.* My point being, it is a bit ridiculous for Team Rosie (or Team Anti-Whoopi) to try a "Whoopi is stupid" campaign. There are arguments for Whoopi not to be a host - boredom, rudeness (I don't completely buy them, but I'm a fan, and I can see why non-fans would offer them as arguments) - but her intelligence is not one of them.

Well, it's RadarOnline after all.   That article wasn't flattering to either RO or Whoopi anyway - calling them both bullies.  You're right Mumbles,  this is all YMMV territory. 

I don't think Whoopi is stupid, but she doesn't seem to be  thinking about the show or her j.o.b. this season and that is stupid.  I agree that this show isn't really her forte but If she can't at least act engaged and entertaining for an hour a day then that is dumb.  If she's over it, then she should leave - otherwise she needs to remember this isn't The Whoopi Show and play nice with the other co-hosts. 

• Love 7

There are different kinds of intelligence.  I don't agree that Whoopi is intelligent, I think she has played intelligent roles in movies, and SHE believes she's smarter than she really is. 

Whoopi's issue might not be one of intelligence, but her inability to be open-minded.  She has opinions, refuses to listen to another way to look at an issue, and then yells over others and closes down the discussion.  sometimes if she  LISTENED, she would realize that the person she's arguing with has a view that's very close to her own, just presented in a slightly different way.  

When Whoopi says to the TV audience "don't tweet me, I don't CARE, I don't want to hear it", I think it's another  version of what she says to her co-hosts  - don't tell me your opinion, I don't care! 

• Love 12

if it boils down to who is more *intelligent*, my vote is Whoopi, hands-down.

Not in the emotional intelligence department.  And that, is what counts an awful lot in this situation.  Whoopi can't seem to grasp that she's doing very poorly as a moderator and that she comes off as a bitter pontificating bully, whereas, Rosie seems to understand that the audience is not liking what they are getting from the show in total.

It's clear that Rosie is extremely frustrated with Whoopi and her antics, all you have to do is watch Rosie's body language and the way she is curling her paper and trying her hardest not to shoot back in a rant of frustration at Whoopi.  As @backformore stated above, Whoopi won't listen to anyone else, even when the other's opinion is a hair's breath away from hers, she refuses to discuss things in a manner that would prove that to her. 

There were subtle and not so subtle indications of these traits in Whoopi before with the Michael Vick and rape-rape stuff, but with others around her to challenge her more properly now it's just not working for her.  I find it pretty ironic as well that her hippy-liberal cred is down the tubes, when the co-host that she seems to mesh with the best is Nicolle.  And that makes complete sense to me, since I've always seen her as a left-leaning Libertarian and not a Liberal at all.

• Love 13

"bitter pontificating bully,"

Couldn't have said this better!  That's exactly how she comes off to me.  Can't speak to who is more intelligent, at least on paper, but, I enjoy Rosie's discussions much better.  I don't agree with her all the time, but, she does seem like she wants a discussion vs. giving a lecture.

• Love 11

There are different kinds of intelligence.  I don't agree that Whoopi is intelligent, I think she has played intelligent roles in movies, and SHE believes she's smarter than she really is. 

Whoopi's issue might not be one of intelligence, but her inability to be open-minded.  She has opinions, refuses to listen to another way to look at an issue, and then yells over others and closes down the discussion.  sometimes if she  LISTENED, she would realize that the person she's arguing with has a view that's very close to her own, just presented in a slightly different way.  

When Whoopi says to the TV audience "don't tweet me, I don't CARE, I don't want to hear it", I think it's another  version of what she says to her co-hosts  - don't tell me your opinion, I don't care! 

this is really well said..... I wouldnt go as far as saying Whoopi is dumb.... but you have to admit... when the name Whoopi Goldberg is said... Intelligence is not the first thing that comes to mind. The View is not a good fit for Whoopi any more because it is not as scripted as it used to be. When she was playing a role before it was easy for her to check out while the others played their roll too.... but now that the hosts are sharing their opinion more, Whoopi is the one host that is lacking.No one is writing her opinion for her so she struggles with her thoughts and ego. Many times we have seen Whoopi arguing with someone who is agreeing with her.

This is why she keeps telling her "fans" to basically shut up because she doesnt want to hear them at all.... Personally, I think Whoopi's problem is more about her ego than her intelligence.

• Love 8

Ego is definitely Whoopi's problem.  I don't know if it's because she is an EGOT winner or what but she definitely thinks her opinion is more valid than anyone else's.  And it's not even that she thinks it's her opinion, it's like she thinks because it's her opinion then it is simply a fact.  Rosie can be strident in some of her views too but Whoopi is overbearing about every view she has. 

• Love 10

I haven't watched a ton of the new season - but I have been watching the show continuously since 1999. I've seen the various configurations and I feel like I have a good grip on the thesis of the show. I tuned in sometime last week and what struck me about the discussion that it was clear that Whoopi, Nicole, and Rosie Perez have bonded off camera. They might not agree but it seems like they like each other. I got the impression Rosie O'Donnell doesn't have a relationship with them off camera. I think what makes these shows work is that the arguments are never personal- it's okay to disagree but if everyone likes each other the discussions don't take an uncomfortable turn.

The main source of tension seem to be between Whoopi and Rosie O'Donnell. I suspect they might get rid of Rosie because Whoopi is more "likable". Which is unfortunate because as talented as Whoopi is- she's a great actress, fantastic comic, and does an excellent job hosting award shows. However, she just ins't a talk show host! She has a terrible time articulating her points. It's frustrating to watch and it's obvious that she's just doing the show for the money. It's a cushy job. Getting paid millions for an hour's work- who'd say no? I too have noticed that Whoopi has really changed- I think it's because The View cleaned house last season- i'm not just referring to Sherri and Jennie but a ton of behind the scenes people as well. Whoopi is scared for her job, in my opinion. So she's trying to show that she belongs there and is failing miserably.

I'm not sure why Whoopi and Rosie don't get along but it's uncomfortable to watch. I wouldn't mind if they both left. The View feels incredibly old compared to newer shows. Would it kill them to hire some people under 40?

• Love 4

People listen to Whoopi when she talks and it has "gone to her head."  She doesn't seem to be able to take any criticism without striking back.  I remember when Meredith was the moderator.  She always let other people  express their views and didn't browbeat them if she didn't agree.  This  is what is so sad with Whoopi moderating The View.  It has become her view, only.

• Love 8

I sense that Ro and Rosie are close, off screen.  I don't get that Rosie is sympatico with Whoopi, but she seems more terrified of her than anything.  Rosie has a tough time expressing herself without melting down, and she has seen Whoopi go on the attack.  But good for Rosie P, she still attempts to make her point.

And I agree they need some young women on this cast, this was their biggest mistake of all.  I am in the age bracket of three of the four hosts, and I would prefer to see younger hosts.  At this point, the View is must see TV because we are all pretty sure something is going to happen between Ro and Whoopi, and that is it.

• Love 4

What does "Re La Ti ONSHIP"  mean?

I know that's what it means, but I'm talking about the way it's phrased.

It is my silly sense of humor.  Hosts Chemistry  = relationship spelled with the Periodic Table Elements abbreviations.

Nicolle reminds me of Sarah Chalke, except not as pretty. She also has a voice that is not pleasant.

I don't think there is a pleasant voice on the panel.  Whoopi for me is like nails on a chalk board.  However, they are all better than the fake newscaster, trying to sound pleasant and caring insincere tone that BW used.  

• Love 1

I feel like when I watch her on the show she is like she would be if she was visiting in my house. We would sit around and talk about different things

I think you'd be doing more listening than talking, and be prepared to get yelled at a lot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

LOL, you guys crack me up! Unfortunately, I missed today's show, but I did check in on Facebook to see the celebratory YAY NO WHOOPI!!! posts. Apparently, the joke's on me because most posters are praising Whoopi and bemoaning her absence while trashing Rosie O. I mean, WTH? It's like a door to the rabbit hole over there. But back on topic, I can only imagine what a relief it must be for Rosie to be fully herself on set without having to fend off the resident junkyard dog, if only for one brief day.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, falltime said:

so i really like joy, sunny, and ana together on the table. whoopi gets annoyed with sunny and abby. i think joy also gets annoyed with abby for not getting her joke sometimes.

Whoopi got mad at Jed too. 

• Love 3

I think the table's fine except for Whoopi and McCain. At least Whoopi is able to get along more than she has in the past (her borderline workplace harassment with Paula and Rosie O), but McCain hates everyone there and it shows. She doesn't even have chemistry with her BFF.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think the table's fine except for Whoopi and McCain. At least Whoopi is able to get along more than she has in the past (her borderline workplace harassment with Paula and Rosie O), but McCain hates everyone there and it shows. She doesn't even have chemistry with her BFF.

I do think Meghan's presence at the table makes Whoopi seem better by comparison.   However Whoopi's absence the past couple weeks shows how much she drags the show down. When she isn't there the vibe is so much more relaxed. Even Meghan seems calmer.   She is ready to pounce but not as quickly as when Whoopi is there.

• Love 10

whoever is in charge of uploading the clips on the view youtube page was a day late.

joy without glasses thinking don lemon was sunny is funny. 😆😆

ana, joy and sunny work well together. i wish ana was there all the time.

• Love 10
38 minutes ago, Lilaclily said:

Loved how Sunny didn"t even look Meghan's way as she tried to vehemently interrupt her. Sunny totally ignored her like she wasn"t there. Loved it!

To me, Sunny has been acting different toward MM since MM told Sunny "you don’t need to look at me that way," last month.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, falltime said:

To me, Sunny has been acting different toward MM since MM told Sunny "you don’t need to look at me that way," last month.

Soon MM will be asking Sunny why she never looks at her.  Sunny should look at the camera or towards her right, never left and say "I'm still talking" a bit more often.  I love it when Joy rotates her chair giving MM the cold shoulder when MM gets nasty.

• Love 9

Totally random thought: I was just looking at a tweet by Ana Navarro and squeeing over how great she is. It made me think of who would be in my All-Star line up if I could choose the hosts. I think it would be Ana Navarro, Sunny Hostin, Nicole Wallace, Sara Haines, and Lisa Ling. I would also accept Joy because I know so many people love her. She’s not really my cup of tea, but I’m not dead set against her. 

Edited by piccadilly83
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, piccadilly83 said:

Totally random thought: I was just looking at a tweet by Ana Navarro and squeeing over how great she is. It made me think of who would be in my All-Star line up if I could choose the hosts. I think it would be Ana Navarro, Sunny Hostin, Nicole Wallace, Sara Haines, and Lisa Ling. I would also accept Joy because I know so many people love her. She’s not really my cup of tea, but I’m not dead set against her. 

I could live with that!!

• Love 4