Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

"Here I come to save the day..."  Did anyone else think Alex had to work hard to NOT sing it? There was a lilt to his reading that sounded like he was about to burst into song, thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster, withOUT a fakey Scottish accent.

• Love 4

Not for me (sadly). Just going for the joke.

I know.  So was I.  Mine was at Alex Trebek's expense.  He often excuses missed clues by saying it was before your time, which I think is both ridiculous and condescending. 

• Love 6

I always mute the interviews and today I am really glad I didn't hear them.  Yes, just stick to cute little stories about your most embarrassing moment or pickle making or whatever.

Hugs and best wishes to you, Pandora Spocks.

• Love 3

I know.  So was I.  Mine was at Alex Trebek's expense.  He often excuses missed clues by saying it was before your time, which I think is both ridiculous and condescending. 

Besides, isn't that what they teach immediately in school. The alphabet, the numbers, and the names of the four Beatles?

• Love 2

I couldn't stand the previous champ (what an irritating way of speaking) so I didn't care who else won as long as it wasn't him.  I was rooting for Elsa, though.

• Love 1

Besides, isn't that what they teach immediately in school. The alphabet, the numbers, and the names of the four Beatles?

Could be. I started school before the Beatles and we learned the alphabet, the numbers and how to eat paste. I'm sure they've gotten rid of that fabulous creamy paste along with letters/numbers phone numbers and party lines.

Back on topic, I'm glad Jon didn't burst into tears during the FJ music. I was nervously watching him.

• Love 6
Back on topic, I'm glad Jon didn't burst into tears during the FJ music. I was nervously watching him

The visual of Jon crying gave me a big chuckle.

I enjoy it whenever they have the "Heteronyms" categories because I love wordplay and feel like a genius whenever I answer them correctly.  FJ had me guessing "Yukon" instead of "Klondike."  Damn Sergeant Preston reruns!  

• Love 2

Am I the only one who thought it was a bit mean of Alex to imply Jon had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

And ignorant.

Also what was up with HAV and AODM? I work in the medical field and have never ever seen either of those. Hepatitis A is referred to as Hep A, and "adult-onset" diabetes mellitus is referred to as NIDDM (non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus) or T2DM (type 2 diabetes mellitus), with T2DM being preferred over NIDDM.

• Love 3
(edited)

Am I the only one who thought it was a bit mean of Alex to imply Jon had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Incredibly rude.  I couldn't believe he said that.

As for Hilary, I got a kick out of her pointing at the categories and waving the buzzer.  She did it all in such an interesting way.  I'm sure I'll be in the minority, but I like her!  I thought she was quite entertaining, as well as smart.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 2

Not just you, I thought so too.

I am very embarrassed to say that I did not get FJ.  I was thinking of rivers in the southern part of Canada, like the Niagara or the Detroit.  Even with the date in the clue I didn't think of the gold rush.

The new champ seems very quick and sharp. Congrats to her on her win.

• Love 2

I was rooting against Hilary before the first break. Her hand gyrations were incredibly distracting. At one point I actually yelled at her to hold the eff still. I wanted to super glue them to her sides.

I wish Erik had won.

Yes, Alex was rude as hell to Jon.

I, too, liked the Heteronyms category.

My mind turned to mush during FJ. It's even mushier now that I've finished bashing my head against the coffee table.

• Love 4
(edited)

Usually Alex irks me a lot, but I didn't think he was rude with his fatigue remark. It seemed like a funny, teasing comment to me, and I think Jon took it that way. 

Hilary's hand-gesturing bugged me a bit at first, but then it just started to make me grin. It was so predictable. I don't often watch the very end of the show when they're standing around talking, but I did this time just to see what she did with her hands. Surprisingly, she stood there with her arms hanging down awkwardly. She did gesture when she talked, but I think she's on the self-conscious side and over-gesticulates in compensation.

I met the sweetest dog named Oreo. My son and I met him and his owner in their front yard on our morning walks. The woman has four dogs, and Oreo seemed not to be her favorite. I wanted to adopt him. 

In the Car Tunes category, I correctly guessed 'white walls' for that one clue. Never heard of the song.

I didn't get FJ. I figured it was about the Gold Rush, so of course I thought Yukon even though I thought it was wrong. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

FJ had me guessing "Yukon" instead of "Klondike."  Damn Sergeant Preston reruns!

Yeah, I said Yukon as well. And I clearly remember Sergeant Preston! Klondike = ice cream sandwich in my mind.

Oreo is not a good name for a dog? Please. I've owned an Oreo and I know many dogs named that, and horses, too. Geez louise, Trebek.

Glad the woman won, even if it was by default. It's about time we had a woman champ again, even without having any "Woman Only" categories.

• Love 2

Was Hilary also guiding planes? Or doing semaphore? Holy cow that was hard to watch. Somebody give her some knitting needles, next show she can knit a couple sweaters while she plays.

I read your post before I got around to watching the episode. I was ready to hate her since this type of contestant usually drives me crazy. However, I found her charming and found myself rooting for her.

That being said, your post still cracked me the hell up. I love the visual of a contestant who has to knit or crochet at the podium just to keep her hands occupied. Too funny.

• Love 1

Hilary drove me bonkers. Especially when she visibly huffed when Jess rang in before her with Bethlehem. I'll give her props for the large bet on FJ, though.

I could not root for Shuping (not sure of the spelling, I didn't look at the screen to see it spelled out) after he answered "blog" for a clue referencing 1837.

• Love 7

I found Hilary's gestures annoying, and didn't really care for her. I don't expect contestants to measure up to my beloved Julia, but I do appreciate it when they exhibit some warmth, humor and charm. 

Much as I like the new champ (sorry, can't remember her name - Jess?), the way her ears poked through her hair made me laugh.  Maybe she can get a decent hair cut with her winnings.  She really was lucky that Hilary didn't get the FJ (and frankly, it was an instaget for me), because her bet was pathetic.

Sorry if I'm coming off as negative - I don't know why, I just don't seem to enjoy watching as much as I used to.

• Love 1

Another new champion!  Congratulations to Jess on her win - that was a pretty modest bet though; she was lucky Hilary got it wrong.  Apparently that was what she was counting on.

Fj was not an instaget for me but I would have had time to write it down since it was such a short answer.

• Love 1
(edited)

That was a good game -- lots of high scores, but FJ was pretty easy.

My only complaint was the lack of first names required for certain answers -- "Who is King ?"  for Gayle King.  "Who is Dunham ?" for Lena Dunham -- they could have meant Larry King and Jeff Dunham for all we knew.  I couldn't believe in that Country Men category that they highlighted the country named for him -- AND --  showed a picture of Simon Bolivar.

I could not root for Shuping (not sure of the spelling, I didn't look at the screen to see it spelled out) after he answered "blog" for a clue referencing 1837.

I'm curious what the hell was Shuping thinking for that answer ? Because that was kind of an embarrassing guess.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Thank goodness Jess won. I was really rooting for her but cringed at her measly FJ wager.

Hilary must have some kind of affliction. She was okay during the Jeopardy round, although she was clearly controlling herself. Then during DJ the "alright, em uh" hand jive showed up.

I was surprised filibuster was a TS and that the middle guy said blog. *face palm*

FJ was an instaget but then I started to doubt myself since it seemed too easy.

• Love 1

My only complaint was the lack of first names required for certain answers -- "Who is King ?"  for Gayle King.  "Who is Dunham ?" for Lena Dunham -- they could have meant Larry King and Jeff Dunham for all we knew.

That bugs me as well. I think that would add some much needed difficulty, especially for the photo clues.

Hilary must have some kind of affliction. She was okay during the Jeopardy round, although she was clearly controlling herself. Then during DJ the "alright, em uh" hand jive showed up.

Yeah I noticed a few different tics and felt for her because it can't be easy to try to keep all that in check and buzz in and get answers correct.

I wonder why Alex didn't note those two TS in the sports category - just because Shu-Ping missed it too? Guess it's not a "ladies" thing after all LOL

• Love 4

The one about Saudi Arabia - the country still ruled by the sons of (died in 53) - I don't remember the correct wording, but at the time, I thought for sure they were going for the King's name, not the country.  Color me boggled when Saudi Arabia was ruled correct.

Hand-jiving was going on through both J & DJ.  I swear, she's gonna get carpal tunnel from all that wrist twirling.  But it was under control during the interview segment.  I don't like myself when I'm shallow, but, jeez, I'm glad she's gone.

• Love 3
Yeah I noticed a few different tics and felt for her because it can't be easy to try to keep all that in check and buzz in and get answers correct.

I agree it seemed that Hilary has some kind of motor issue.  And she has sort of a lisp, as well.  I like the new champ, but what was with that pathetic wager?  I guessed Ben Hur for FJ but then kept thinking that has to be too easy.  It can't be right.  They've really had some easy DD's and FJ lately.

• Love 1

For FJ, I guessed "The Ten Commandments."  It did win Best Picture (according to IMDB) and I thought it was set earlier than Ben-Hur.  No?

• Love 5
(edited)

For FJ, I guessed "The Ten Commandments."  It did win Best Picture (according to IMDB) and I thought it was set earlier than Ben-Hur.  No?

Ben-Hur is set in 26 AD (according to Wikipedia), which should mean that The Ten Commandments is indeed set earlier than Ben-Hur. I can't remember the exact wording of the clue, though.

Edit: Wikipedia says that The Ten Commandments was nominated for best picture, not that it won. It did win best special effects, though.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 2
(edited)

Tonight was my introduction to her, and I found Hilary’s gestures endearing.  I don’t generally notice contestants much – they’re just vessels for the clues – but I found her endearing overall.  In fact, I found them all kind of soothing.  I was kind of rooting for Hilary, but FJ was an instaget so when she blew it …

I’m surprised no one came up with humdrum or hot pot.  Not to mention science and filibuster.  And, as a Giants fan, of course I find ODB as a TS unconscionable. 

Blog didn't bother me because he said in a way that suggested he knew it was wrong and was throwing out something stupid for lack of any valid guess.

Did we really need the sound effect on the leaf blowers clue?  I should be thankful it wasn’t a picture, I suppose.

I knew a lot more about celebrity friends than I thought I did, which must mean those clues were too easy for DJ.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I know we all have annoying mannerisms, but Hillary's smirky smile was driving me nuts, especially when she was picking clues. I'm pretty sure my general smile is smirky as well so I'm sure I'm a total hypocrite.

• Love 2
(edited)

My mother let my big ear poke thru my hair in all pics when I was 4-8. But when you're an adult--NO WAY! I cringed. Pretty girl. Needs hair advisor. Pronto!

Edited by just prin

Sometimes the genetic wheel of fortune lands on "crap hair" and you can't do anything with it.  Trust me, I know.  Both my parents had the same kind of stick-straight, baby-fine, do-nothing hair.  I got slammed with a double whammy in the hair department and it's been a lifelong headache. Cut her some slack.  She can't help it.  But the hand-jivin' chick CAN.  That's an acquired habit.

• Love 4
(edited)

Blog didn't bother me because he said in a way that suggested he knew it was wrong and was throwing out something stupid for lack of any valid guess.

That's what I thought, too. He smiled when he said it. 

Did we really need the sound effect on the leaf blowers clue?  I should be thankful it wasn’t a picture, I suppose.

Was there a sound played? If so, I completely blanked that out.

I did love the Woody Woodpecker sound clip. That was unexpected.

I hope I get it the next time Firth of Forth is the correct response. I read Alexander McCall Smith's books, and a couple of series are set in Edinburgh. The Firth of Forth was actually part of a story line in one.

I too came up with hurdy gurdy when the answer was actually hi-fi. 

I was confused with the Rommel clue. I couldn't figure out if they were asking for the frau or the herr. Then I realized the category was Our Mistake, so it was asking for who made the mistake. 

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't come up with anything for FJ. My first thought was The Greatest Story Ever Told, but I knew that didn't win Best Pic. Cleopatra also occurred to me, but again I knew that was wrong. I hate it when I don't get the movie questions right. :(

Edit: Wikipedia says that The Ten Commandments was nominated for best picture, not that it won. It did win best special effects, though.

Thanks for looking this up. After Hilary's answer was revealed, I was wondering why that wasn't the correct answer.

Re Jess's ears, I didn't notice. However, I have noticed that Reba McIntyre and Patricia Heaton have worn their hair in a way that allowed their ears to stick out prominently. Maybe it just doesn't bother some women to highlight that feature.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
(edited)

I hope I get it the next time Firth of Forth is the correct response.

The Firth of Forth has been on Jeopardy before. Trebek gets a gigantic charge out of saying it and looking for contestant reactions to such a name.

I was thinking of some dinosaur movie for FJ, or Sparticus with the senior Douglas. So, count me a loser along with Hilary.

Hilary, however, I found charming and I loved her hand movements. Contestants get so ranked on if they don't stand like British soldiers outside Kensington Palace. I like some variety with my spice of life. Sorry to see her go.

Got a kick out of all three contestants moaning after Trebek gave answers to TS. Too funny.

Once again Trebek emphasizes the word GENRE in some crazy, heavy and drawn-out foreign accent. Why does he do this? Other tv hosts can go between English and foreign words without making the foreign words so DRAH-matic. For instance, the cooking show chefs use foreign words all the time and none of them bother me in the least. It's just Trebek ... GAH!

ETA: Some people have ears that stick out and thin, flat hair. I don't have a problem with the new champ at all. Except that she's not Hilary. 

Edited by saber5055

Once again Trebek emphasizes the word GENRE in some crazy, heavy and drawn-out foreign accent. Why does he do this? Other tv hosts can go between English and foreign words without making the foreign words so DRAH-matic. For instance, the cooking show chefs use foreign words all the time and none of them bother me in the least. It's just Trebek ... GAH!

I know this has been posted before, but it's still fun to watch. (And you can see me for a very brief second at about the 1 min. mark)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/29/alex-trebek-foreign-words-supercut_n_5631945.html

I wonder if the person who gave Jess the advice to do something crazy saw my episode (the one that shows up in that video).  I was up against a guy who had no chance of winning and did something crazy.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if a reality show was his goal.

I can't believe no one got Clayton Kershaw.  I hate, hate, hate the Dodgers, so I probably would have had a disgusted look on my face if I answered that one.

• Love 2

The only part of today's episode I caught was FJ, and I couldn't believe how easy it was. And then two of them missed it! WTH? That's not before anyone's time. 

• Love 3

Jeopardy! continues its tradition of having a question about someone who died sometime between the taping and airing of the show with their Van category question re Dick Van Patten. Although I think this was the first one in some time.

FJ was not an instaget for me but dh got it pretty quickly.  I'm surprised too that only one of them got it. 

I like the new champ well enough but I was really rooting for the woman from Hamilton, Ontario.

• Love 2

The blonde lady contestant who talked about going to a foreign country as a spokesperson to charity medical team? I think she was on the commercial for Operation Smile that runs. She was working with the kids going for surgery. Any one else see that?

FJ was an instaget for me. I was really surprised that two of them missed it.

I was also happy with myself for pulling Dvorak out of the deep recesses of my brain - a piece of information I would have guessed I'd long forgotten. Looks like my memory isn't as awful as I thought! I didn't do so well on the rest of the game, but I thought the DDs were very easy.

I didn't notice Jess' hair yesterday. The only reason I paid attention today was because of "youse guys". ;-) Poor thing has what I call "cat hair" coupled with big ears. If I ever get on Jeopardy!, which is highly unlikely, I'll need to buy a wig. Otherwise, I'll read "WTH is up with the woman with the David Crosby hairdo?" Menopause has not been kind to my once luxurious hair.

Anywhoo, I got four TS - Kitty Kelly, Dick Van Patton, Rachmaninoff and one I forgot to write down and now don't remember. My mind, like my hair, is going.

I wish Jess had won again. Nothing against the others, I just liked her.

Since when is being more specific with butcher knife going to lead to meat cleaver?

I stared at the screen like a slack jawed moron during FJ.

• Love 8

Sorry, still no forgiving flat, thin-haired lady, with stick-out ears. I have same flat, can-do-nothing-with-it hair. HUGE ear. Never stuck out. In fact, her hair was among the funniest "look" I've ever seen. But I loved the gal--sooo nice. Smiley. Hated to see her go. Now we have "bowl guy." Sigh. Can't beat Jeopardy!

That was a great game! Pretty close throughout and a nice balance of categories! Comic Con was simple for me, but I knew a few answers that I didn't know I knew, which is always fun! FJ was simple, and, as other posters have pointed out, a surprise that only one contesant knew! I like Sawyer well enough, and he wasn't that far behind that he's likely not going to be able to repeat the win.

Anywhoo, I got four TS - Kitty Kelly, Dick Van Patton, Rachmaninoff and one I forgot to write down and now don't remember. My mind, like my hair, is going

Me too! (The answers; not the hair. Mine is unfortunately growing better than ever! I shave it every single day. I JUST met my biological brothers this year and they are both losing their hair! I am so jealous!)