Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm soooo glad freaking golf is over. I've missed my nightly Jeopardy! fix.

I was rooting for Kay, too, but Sacha seems okay. Boo hiss, Alex, STFU.

Brennan missing The Miracle Worker (which I thought was way too easy for a DD) was surprising. Burl Ives as a TS was sad.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 1

I thought of The Jetsons for FJ, but re-read the clue and noted "live action." Silly but understandable mistake on Kay's part.

The contestants really did badly on the "bird expressions" category. They missed not only "canary," but "cock and bull story" and "crowing."

I enjoyed seeing Sacha's come-from-behind win. Alex seemed really excited by the non-runaway game.

The La Guardia High School category was really interesting. The principal who banned Nikki Minaj from speaking on campus is my former assistant principal. 

• Love 2
(edited)

"Brennan missing The Miracle Worker (which I thought was way too easy for a DD) was surprising. Burl Ives as a TS was sad."

It made me sad because I remember Burk Ives as the voice of the Snowman on "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer." This was a holiday favorite for this baby boomer. Now I DO feel old!

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 3

One of the TS's I knew was canary for a female singer or a stool pigeon.

I ran that category, and was a bit surprised they were so bad at it.  There was another TS in the first round that surprised me, but I can’t remember it.

I loved the cheese category, but, then again, I love cheese.

Alex had been laying off the “Oh, hel-lo” for big DD wagers, but tonight it was back.  It annoys me every time.

• Love 2

This ruined the suspense of today's game for me.  Next thing I know, Skidmore College will tell kids there's no Santa! 

Yeah I hadn't heard anything about that article so it was a real bummer to see the spoiler here. 

I'll miss Brennan, but hope he takes this opportunity to catch up on some classic films like The Miracle Worker and Cat On A Hot Tin Roof...

I suspect Sacha will be a one and done champ since he went into FJ in pretty bad shape and only a radical bet won him the match.

• Love 1

I'm rather tired of the regularity of bible categories.  I'm probably extra bitter because categories I want to see (flowers!) don't get finished.

I answered "peacock" for the bird clue that was asking for "crow."  I wonder if the judges would accept it.

• Love 2

I answered "peacock" for the bird clue that was asking for "crow."  I wonder if the judges would accept it.

I don't know; according to the online dictionaries, "to peacock" is to dress for attention or display oneself ostentatiously; "to crow" is more about verbally bragging. But I've learned something--I didn't realize "peacock" could even be a verb.

• Love 2

How could that question have gotten leaked if Brennan isn't responsible?  If he was, won't he lose his money?

The FJ question was poorly worded to me - if someone says "live-action" I think of the dreaded "reality show" genre.  Perhaps scripted would have been a better choice?

They do the shows in front of a live audience, and presumably any one of them could have leaked it - they'd have much less to lose than a contestant or any of the crew.

I also totally missed what they meant by "live-action", but scripted wouldn't rule out the Jetsons.

• Love 3
(edited)

In retrospect, I wish the story had been posted in the spoiler thread rather than in this one. My enjoyment of the game was diminished; while I avoid the spoiler thread, I couldn't avoid seeing the spoiler here unless it came from a poster I've blocked (and even then, it would show up if anyone quoted it).

Edited by ABay
  • Love 6

It's a nightmare for those of us that taught it (9th grade in Texas) because of all the Helen Keller jokes you have to keep the little budding comedians from doing.

I know its the wrong attitude but aw, kids are still telling Helen Keller jokes.  Some things never change. 

I never watched Lost in Space but I thought it was pretty easy.  What other show could it have been. Heh, thanks also to the Simpsons for all the Lost in Space jokes through the years

• Love 3

In retrospect, I wish the story had been posted in the spoiler thread rather than in this one. My enjoyment of the game was diminished; while I avoid the spoiler thread, I couldn't avoid seeing the spoiler here unless it came from a poster I've blocked (and even then, it would show up if anyone quoted it).

I agree--I was bummed to be spoiled--but it was a journalism snafu that was understandably confusing to the poster. It's still confusing even though it's all over now.

• Love 4

I agree--I was bummed to be spoiled--but it was a journalism snafu that was understandably confusing to the poster. It's still confusing even though it's all over now.

I was the one who posted the article originally, and yeah I was just confused - I hadn't been 100% paying attention when I watched Friday's episode, but I was certain Brennan won, and the article said he lost. Also the spoiler thread didn't exist on Friday! But yes, in retrospect it would have been better to use spoiler tags or something and I'll keep that in mind :) Though I would hope that this type of situation is avoided altogether in the future.

My apologies!

• Love 8
(edited)

Secnarf, I was glad to see that spoiler posted, even though none of us, and I mean NONE of us, knew it really was a spoiler or anything more than poor journalism. I was hoping for spoiler since I was more than ready to see Brennan gone. Then I was gone myself so missed the episode. The laugh is on me! I missed seeing Brennan's swan song!

So no apology needed IMO. It still could have been poor journalism. Well, I guess it was since the writer obviously was no fact checker, and that's the first rule in writing/reporting ... check those facts!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

The FJ question was poorly worded to me - if someone says "live-action" I think of the dreaded "reality show" genre.  Perhaps scripted would have been a better choice?

Live-action means not animated.

I too was shocked that Brennan didn't know The Miracle Worker. It's amazing what gaps in knowledge people have.

Something I learned was that an ingredient of fondue is wine. I thought it was just melted cheese.

Sacha reminds me of David Krumholtz.

• Love 2

The spoiler thread was opened January 24th (Athena started it). There was a discussion about posting times because Jeopardy! airs at different times across the country.

• Love 2

I get Jeopardy! on the same channel from Albany that Saratoga Springs does (WTEN), and they showed last night's game last week, by mistake. That's how all this confusion started. 

• Love 7

I get Jeopardy! on the same channel from Albany that Saratoga Springs does (WTEN), and they showed last night's game last week, by mistake. That's how all this confusion started. 

So there wasn't a leak from a contestant or anyone on the set? 

• Love 2
(edited)

I suspect Sacha will be a one and done champ since he went into FJ in pretty bad shape and only a radical bet won him the match.

Good call.

Good call indeed.  Sacha flamed out spectacularly and ended up with $0 at the end of DJ.

ETA: FJ was pretty easy if you could count.  I'm surprised both of them got it wrong.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

ETA: FJ was pretty easy if you could count.  I'm surprised both of them got it wrong.

I was amazed that it was a FJ question, and stunned that they both got it wrong.  Even if you haven't played chess, it's the same a a checkers board, and I suspect most people have seen one of those.

• Love 3

Good call indeed.  Sacha flamed out spectacularly and ended up with $0 at the end of DJ.

Wow I didn't imagine he wouldn't even make FJ. How dreadful.

So they let Donna get away with Charles Schumer because... they thought it was cute? *eyeroll*

• Love 1

I just didn't know how many squares were on a side of a chess board. I would have done the arithmetic right, though!

I think they had to get rid of Brennan (Malden, MA) to bring on the new guy from Somerville, MA. </conspiracy theory>

• Love 4

Spot the im-pasta was a fun category.

With it being DJ, and the category specifying alpha-numerics, I would not have given Sacha another chance when he answered only 501.

• Love 2
(edited)
With it being DJ, and the category specifying alpha-numerics, I would not have given Sacha another chance when he answered only 501.

I'm glad they corrected the score on Donna after she mispronounced systolic as 'stystolic', because I heard her say it wrong and was surprised when they initially ruled her correct.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

So they let Donna get away with Charles Schumer because... they thought it was cute? *eyeroll*

They don't usually penalize people for responding correctly. She "got away" with it because she was right.

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure I've never read or seen the Miracle Worker.  (I have heard of it though!)  I am always fascinated by different ideas of what "should" be automatic knowledge.  I do somehow know how many perimeter squares are on a chessboard though!  I was never a chess player, and I haven't played checkers in probably 20 years.

• Love 2

They don't usually penalize people for responding correctly. She "got away" with it because she was right.

The way it was written they were clearly looking for Chuck because "no one calls him Charles" but since they didn't specify that they wanted his nickname, I think they had to give it to her.

• Love 5

Spot the im-pasta was a fun category.

I think he added the alpha part pretty quickly, before Alex ruled on it.  I also liked the impasta category even though I did not get them all.

Re FJ, I arrived at 8 per side so 32 but then stupidly deducted only two corners instead of four, for an incorrect answer of 30.

• Love 1

I didn't think there was anything wrong with Donna's answer of "Who is Charles Schumer." I thought it was very funny, though I don't think she intended it to be funny.

Who else got Ozymandias because of Breaking Bad?

I was really surprised both Donna and Matt got FJ wrong. The math was easy, and I'm bad at math. Eight on each side -- I only know the basics of chess, so that's two rooks, two knights, two bishops, a king and queen -- that's 16, then the other sides would be 6 each, so 12 plus 16 equals 28. 

• Love 3

ETA: FJ was pretty easy if you could count.  I'm surprised both of them got it wrong.

I've never played chess, and haven't even played checkers in years, so I had no idea how many spaces are contained by a chess board.  Don't even know how many chess pieces there are.  I would've bombed spectacularly on that FJ.  But hey, at least I knew that Swine flu is H1N1.

Lots of wine! And a little kirschwasser. And lots of cheese. Also, rub the pot with a clove of garlic, and dredge the cheese in some flour.

Now I want fondue.  Thanks a lot.  ;-)

• Love 4

"Who else got Ozymandias because of Breaking Bad?"

Raises hand. I shouted, "Thank you, Walter White!"

I knew it because I had a thing for Shelley's poetry (Percy Bysshe, not Carson) in high school.  Benefits of being a somewhat emo teenager obsessed with the Romantic Era before it was cool.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't think there was anything wrong with Donna's answer of "Who is Charles Schumer."

As its bottom line, the clue sought the identity of the NY politician shown in the photo, so her answer of Charles Schumer was correct since that’s his legal name.  But I think it was also a silly answer, because the text of the clue was entirely about the fact he does not go by Charles.  I can’t believe she thinks of him as Charles Schumer, so I’m guessing it came out of her mouth that way because Charles was in the clue – she heard Alex say it, and it stuck in her mind.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Is there  any way to access our posts from last summer about this time?  My rerun channel is running the 4 days of a person on the board here  from last year .  She did real well and I wanted to read some of our posts about the questions...

@tvaddict44 -- Try the All Episodes Discussion forum (link below).  It contains all the daily discussions before the separate Jeopardy Season 31 forum was created.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/3972-all-episodes-discussion-the-daily-double/

Things we learn on Jeopardy:  I had no idea they still make fondue pots.  Mine was a wedding present back in 1966...

This just proves that everything old is new again. The fondue pot was THE wedding gift of the '60s. I remember when restaurants had fondue pots on the table for appetizers, or a hibachi grill for cook-your-own Vienna sausages for appetizers. This before people started suing restaurants because they MIGHT get burned by something hot.

• Love 4

Things we learn on Jeopardy:  I had no idea they still make fondue pots.  Mine was a wedding present back in 1966...

One of my favorite restaurants here in the Tucson is called The Melting Pot, and it's a fondue restaurant. It's pricey, so we only go on special occasions, but I really love it. I should get a fondue pot for my house.

• Love 2

Someone must have given the judges a kick in the butt recently as I was surprised when they corrected Pat about mispronouncing 'Ashbury' as 'Asbury'.    That's two days in a row that they have overruled rather glaring errors in judging.

Another day, another case of bad wagering only this time by Shayna and Matt is now a two -day champ.

• Love 6

Shayna, Shayna, Shayna, what did you do?  She nodded her head that she had bet enough but she was two dollars short - what a kick in the gut that must have been to her.  What a shame, because I really liked her.

I like Matt too but I wonder why he spelt DeKlerk with a q at the end.

I did get FJ but it was the only name I could think of.

• Love 4

Can someone explain the FJ strategy of the lady who was in the lead? I'm baffled as to how/why she selected her final wager.

I was wondering about the spelling being an issue. I've never seen it with a Q.

I think it was simply bad math.  She thought she had won.

• Love 6