Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I have to follow along with the thread too as the Women's World Cup - no, wait, it's the PREGAME that has pre-empted Jeopardy!, which you can put that shit on FOX Sports, and I would say that regardless if it were women or men playing. It's not like I can catch a repeat of tonight's Jeopardy! later, thanks a lot FOX.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
I'll check this thread for details about Friday's game.

I would say we dodged a bullet. One of the challengers, had he won, would have turned me off watching for a while. Ugh. 

The champ remains champ.

• Love 3
(edited)

Portobello was a TS.  Really ?  Even after they told them it was a mature Cremini.

Note:  This question was also on one of the episodes of '500 Questions'.

Alex seemed to be giving Daniel a lot of help in the DJ round, especially after that big loss on the DD -- since they only seem to ask for more information in the Jeopardy round, and Alex asked Daniel for more info twice in the DJ round.

Clearly the guy on the end has never played Risk -- Kamchatka was the only peninsula I could think of that fit the clue.

Speaking of that DD, how did Daniel not know Kamchatka ?  It's practically the default (and largest) peninsula when you discuss Russia (it's huge). 

The Exxon Valdez was the answer for FJ ? Was it scrapped or renamed ?  Because I thought it was renamed, like several times.  I don't even remember this in the news.  Just checked Wikipedia and it was finally scrapped in 2012 -- but by that time it was last known as 'Oriental Nicety'.

I guess that means Waterworld will never come true.  <snark>

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

It wasn't all that great a game for me either.  There were plenty of answers I knew but just couldn't get them out of the corners of my mind.

I liked the guy in the middle despite his swaying.  He was just a little too enthusiastic about his ringing in though since he seldom had the right answer - but I loved his FJ answer which was pretty much as good as mine.

Exxon Valdez never entered my mind.  I was thinking of the whale wars ship, which is the Sea Shepherd, but couldn't even come up with that so I said Rainbow Warrior just to have something to say.

I do like the champ and I'm glad he won again.

• Love 1

Just like the FJ clue earlier in the week about Beethoven's Fifth, I sat there today without a clue until it suddenly popped into my head at the last moment.

More ridiculous judging with the "Bridge on the River Kwai" answer - they've ruled people wrong for adding an "s" to a name, but that guy got credit for "Bridge over...um...on...the river Kwai" after being prompted for more than "The River Kwai".

• Love 4

Just like the FJ clue earlier in the week about Beethoven's Fifth, I sat there today without a clue until it suddenly popped into my head at the last moment.

More ridiculous judging with the "Bridge on the River Kwai" answer - they've ruled people wrong for adding an "s" to a name, but that guy got credit for "Bridge over...um...on...the river Kwai" after being prompted for more than "The River Kwai".

I thought "on" and "over" were both in the original clue, which was why he stammered to get them both in. I didn't think he needed to do any more than name the river.

• Love 1

I liked the guy in the middle despite his swaying.  He was just a little too enthusiastic about his ringing in though since he seldom had the right answer - but I loved his FJ answer which was pretty much as good as mine.

I noticed at one point it looked like he was hitting the buzzer frantically, but no one rang in. I couldn't tell if his finger was on the button, and I wondered if he was just shaking it like, "I know this one, I know this one, what it is it?" 

I should rewatch because I didn't get that clue at all. (I also wasn't paying 100% attention.) Was the original book titled "Bridge Over/On the River Kwai"?

Kamchatka came to me immediately because of Risk. My brothers and I used to enjoy saying the word, so I'll always remember it. 

I was surprised no one recognized white asparagus. Oh, and as for portobello, I came up with mortadella. I often confuse the two words.

I thought it was funny when Mike revealed his answer of the S.S. Minnow because he was dressed like Gilligan.

• Love 1
(edited)

I would say we dodged a bullet. One of the challengers, had he won, would have turned me off watching for a while. Ugh.

Totally. Dipping to buzz AND board jumping *shudder*. And I agree that Alex was cutting him all kinds of slack. Thank goodness the champ got back on track.

Poor Mike, he got on my nerves with his wrong answers but his FJ answer was awesome. Like Daniel, I unfortunately guessed Concordia.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 1
I should rewatch because I didn't get that clue at all. (I also wasn't paying 100% attention.) Was the original book titled "Bridge Over/On the River Kwai"?

The book was "Bridge Over the River Kwai" the movie was "Bridge On the River Kwai".  I'd have to rewatch, but I believe the clue referred to the book.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Exxon Valdez was the answer for FJ ? Was it scrapped or renamed ?  Because I thought it was renamed, like several times.  I don't even remember this in the news.  Just checked Wikipedia and it was finally scrapped in 2012 -- but by that time it was last known as 'Oriental Nicety'.

So totally THIS. The Exxon Valdez was renamed because it was a scourge on the world, so had to be when it was put back into service. I remember it being renamed but we were never told its new name(s) so Greenpeace and other (justified) radicals couldn't go out and sink it. So that FJ was not a good one IMO. 

However, I do remember "Oriental Nicety" so I'm thinking I did hear when it was finally scrapped, it was just too far into the recesses of my brain to come forward.

I laughed so hard at S.S. Minnow that I nearly fell off my chair, and for sure I woke up all my dogs. That was the best FJ answer ever, even better than Kinky Boots.

Yeah, that Bridge On The River Kwai answer was bogus. It was like we were back on 500 Questions, say enough words and you eventually get it correct.

I knew, just like Trebek did, that Darren would bet $2,400. So I was getting all OCD-like when he was wrong and his $ total went out-of-balance. But then he ended up with a multi-day total that was all even numbers! How cool was THAT?

Darren did luck out again with more book categories. But I can't say I mind, I very much like him.

I was surprised no one recognized white asparagus. Oh, and as for portobello, I came up with mortadella. I often confuse the two words.

That asparagus clue was tricky. It said this veg has a two-word name, so I was trying to think of what white asparagus would be named, some French name or something hoity-toity. It was obviously asparagus that was white, but it's real name? White Asparagus? The heck!

And portobello was so easy, given they showed the thing in the video. But I guess if one doesn't shop or do much cooking, or cook vegetarian (they make great "burgers") it could be a stumper, especially if one didn't know it used to be named something else. (I'm looking at me.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

The only reason I knew white asparagus was because I was in France a couple of years ago & our tour guide pointed to a large field of it growing there. Had no clue on FJ, thinking it was the Carnival Poop Ship.

• Love 3

Had no clue on FJ, thinking it was the Carnival Poop Ship.

There are so many cruise liners that are full of sick people, who can keep them all straight. Or know the names of each. Although I wish someone had given that answer.

• Love 1

The book was "Bridge Over the River Kwai" the movie was "Bridge On the River Kwai". I'd have to rewatch, but I believe the clue referred to the book.

It did refer to the book but gave both words probably to avoid confusion, but that didn't work as planned!

There are so many cruise liners that are full of sick people, who can keep them all straight. Or know the names of each. Although I wish someone had given that answer.

My joke precall for FJ was norovirus.

FJ ended up distracting us by referring to Nature as "Nature magazine" when it is actually a journal.

I wracked my brain and could not come up with Don Juan, much less Lord Byron, although I certainly am familiar with both. 

The new champ reminds me a lot of Crazy Tom Cruise.  And not in a good way.

• Love 5

Good game as everyone had 13000+ going into FJ.  Congrats to new champ Brennan.

Darren had a good run, but he lost to some good competition.  I was surprised he was 3rd going into FJ.

I was also surprised that Anzio was a TS.  Schindler's list was too easy for a DD.

• Love 2
(edited)

An excellent game! Congrats to the new champ.

Do you think they would have given me credit for "motor home park" instead of "mobile home park"?

I knew what poem they meant in FJ but just couldn't remember who wrote it.

I was also surprised that Anzio was a TS.

So was I.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

It was a good game. I joined at Double Jeopardy round and even though the new champ was ahead, Darren and Amy did very well.

There were more than a couple of TS for Movie Titles and Schindler's List really shouldn't have been DD compared to the others.

• Love 3

Great game! There is something about the new champ that's off-putting. Can't put my finger on it.

I know.  He has sort of a weird smile.

Good game as everyone had 13000+ going into FJ.  Congrats to new champ Brennan.

Darren had a good run, but he lost to some good competition.  I was surprised he was 3rd going into FJ.

I was also surprised that Anzio was a TS.  Schindler's list was too easy for a DD.

It was a good game all around.  And I bet Darren wishes he had done a true daily double for that Schindler's list clue.

• Love 2
(edited)

Do you think they would have given me credit for "motor home park" instead of "mobile home park"?

I wouldn't, because the picture showed mobile homes, not motorhomes.

I was also surprised that Anzio was a TS.

It stumped me, too.  War history is a weak area for me.

I loved the new musical groups category in the first round.

That State of the Union Address clue was at the Kids Tournament level.  And don’t get me started on the photo clue of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

I'd have bet zero for FJ based on the category, and that would have turned out to be a good bet.

Edited by Bastet

I forgot how 'Don Juan' was pronounced, so I didn't have a chance in heck of getting FJ.

Impressive players all around. I had just noted that there was but one TS in round 1 -- the city of Fatima -- and then in DD there was a string of TSs with the movie titles, all of which (ahem) I got. Miller's Crossing is one of my favorite movies.

As for surprise, I was surprised bullfrog was a stumper. 

• Love 3

I was hoping when Justice Ginsburg's picture came up that someone would have called her the Notorious RBG. LOL.

Hated to see my fellow Alabamian Darren get defeated, but the new champ is very bright & seemed to know a lot about every subject.

• Love 4

"Prizzi's Honor" and "Logan's Run" as TS? I feel so old (much more than 30).

Haven't had J! preempted for soccer yet around here, but missed the whole first round last Friday, due to weather warnings. Because people in New England have never seen a thunderstorm before. Best of luck for everyone getting a full show today...

• Love 4

I mis-read the clue for FJ and didn't get that the title name in the poem had to rhyme with "ruin", etc., and guessed Shelley.  Had I read the clue correctly from the get-go, I think I would've come up with Byron.

Great game! There is something about the new champ that's off-putting. Can't put my finger on it.

I agree with Sierra Mist - there's something funky about his smile, like his upper lip doesn't more or something.

• Love 1
(edited)

Schindler's list was too easy for a DD.

I wish Darren had bet it all (you know, a True Daily Double) on that clue. He was doing well in the category and it's was a pretty sure thing he would know the answer. I think he was getting tired.

The new champion sounds like Toby McGuire as Spiderman. Although a crazy Tom Cruise is also a good comparison.

The band category was made for him and not Darren. I thought that category was pretty stupid though. They should have made the missing words create a phrase instead of the people (read: the new champ) just having to say the full names of the bands. WAY too easy.

He has sort of a weird smile.

I was mostly listening, not watching, so didn't see his smile. But his voice ... yikes. He was irritating to me without even knowing what he looked like. Was surprised when I finally looked and saw he was pretty young.

I already miss Darren, The Dark Lord.

As for surprise, I was surprised bullfrog was a stumper.

It's pretty much a given that contestants don't know much about animals so it didn't surprise me, just made me sad.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Byron's poem "Don Juan" has Juan pronounced Joo-an. Would the pronunciation of San Juan, as in the capital of Puerto Rico be the standard way I've heard it pronounced or would it be San Joo-an?

This is how Byron pronounced it and other foreign words, but it is not the correct way. He chose to use English orthography; he basically made his poem more English.

• Love 4

There was one band clue that had the word "Faith" in it.  I'm pretty sure the answer given was "Faith No More."  I wondered if "Blind Faith" would have been acceptable, since that's more my era and taste in music.

• Love 1

I got Miller's Crossing, Prizzi's Honor and Logan's Run.

Dang, I'm old.

Me too and I've seen all those films yet I could only come up with Logan's Run. I'm so old that I'm now forgetting movies I've seen.

• Love 3

After failing pretty much the entire game (I was so out of it I was missing even the easy and obvious ones), I somehow managed to get FJ immediately.

Also, I hadn't really paid much attention to the current champ on yesterday's show, but after reading the comments on here ("crazy Tom Cruise"), the moment he showed up onscreen I burst out laughing. I can definitely see the Tom Cruise likeness!

• Love 2

I got one of the British History answers correct - the David Balfour one - because I just watched Foyle's War Season 9 episode 2 Trespass a couple of nights ago.

I thought all the contestants were very likeable.

Almost an instaget FJ.

• Love 1
(edited)

Tonight was my first look at Brennan, the current champ, and my impression (meaning absolutely NO disrespect to him) is that he may be lightly "on the spectrum" for autism.  In fact, if he is, I applaud him all the more. His facial expressions, eye movement, smile, and physical stance are what led me to wonder.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

I wanted the lady, Batya, to win. Raf gave off an arrogant vibe what with the air fist bumps and giving himself the thumbs up. Brennan needs to have his jaws unwired. He's really bugging me.

It was a pretty enjoyable game, clue wise. The two guys were so annoying, though.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 4
(edited)

After yesterday I was dreading more of Brennan, mostly because of his voice, and only partly due to his unseating Darren, but the possibility of a Raf win turned me into a Brennan supporter in the Double Jeopardy round! I knew that Pollack is the "go to" choice any time there's something about not being understood, but I second guessed it at first due to the wording, and wondered whether he'd refer to his paintings as "pictures", and almost opted for Warhol. My card would have been all crossed out and would look not unlike a Pollack.

Edited by NorthstarATL
  • Love 5

Thank goodness for today's result. After the first fist pump, I knew who I was rooting against. Brennan saved tomorrow's episode for me. There's no way I'd watch Raf again,

• Love 4
(edited)

The book was "Bridge Over the River Kwai" the movie was "Bridge On the River Kwai".  I'd have to rewatch, but I believe the clue referred to the book.

The (original) book was Le Pont de la Riviere Kwai since it was written in FRENCH - the English translation uses "on" but the movie used "over."  Either would be a reasonable translation.  It was kind of a weirdly-worded clue!  

I just rewatched it to be sure.  Here it is:  It's "over" or "on" in the title of this Pierre Boulle WWII novel about a Japanese attempt to get a train route in Burma.

I didn't think he needed to do any more than name the river.

No,  Alex did ask for the whole title (presumably in English!)

Now, for today's show:

Anyone else say Escher for FJ?

Just me, then? ;-)

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 2