Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had to look at Jess’ hair/ears today thanks to all the commentary after yesterday's episode … I can honestly say that is something I’d have never noticed on my own.  What is it she should have done -- have that surgery to tack her ears to her head, or have them glued back like they did on Clark Gable and other stars whose ears had the gall to protrude from their heads?

I went to Wonder Con one year because of an X-Files panel, and the people there freaked me the hell out.  I wasn’t expecting to know anything in the Comic Con category … and I pretty much didn’t.  All I knew was cosplay (and wish I didn’t).

A cleaver is not a butcher knife, so I would have said “wrong” rather than “be more specific.”  Lancet as a TS in the same category was surprising.

It was disappointing to leave so much on the board in the first round.

I’m surprised Dick Van Patten was a TS.  And really surprised by Rachmaninoff; I’m bad with composers, so if I can figure it out, I expect at least one contestant to do the same.

I loved the add a consonant category, but then I pretty much always enjoy word play categories.

FJ was so easy to me, I, too, was surprised to see two of them miss it.

• Love 2

My dog just started eating Natural Balance based on my vet's recommendation. I think I got Van Patten based on the dog food more so than Eight is Enough since his name is still on the food when I order it from Amazon.

I liked the add a consonant category. I got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue, so I was surprised two of them missed it. I was rooting for the third contestant after she did got Jeffrey Archer correct.

• Love 2

Anywhoo, I got four TS - Kitty Kelly, Dick Van Patton, Rachmaninoff and one I forgot to write down and now don't remember. My mind, like my hair, is going.

Kitty Kelly was on the tip of my tongue. I got Van Patton, Rachmaninoff, Berlioz, and sear & shear. In the "D" category, I said dethroned when the correct response was deposed. I wonder if that would have been accepted. I can't remember who the person was in the clue.

Since when is being more specific with butcher knife going to lead to meat cleaver?

I know, right? I suppose a meat cleaver can be called a butcher knife in that you can use it to butcher meat, but I don't think Alex's comment was quite kosher.

I didn't get FJ. I feel dumb for not getting it. Seems easy in hindsight.

• Love 1
(edited)

Isn't that what the contestant guessed?  I remember it was something that made me laugh (with her, not at her, because it was a word that worked despite being wrong).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
(edited)

Argh! I almost ran the classical composers category but missed Rachmaninov. Did pretty well in the 90s books category too. It's like it was yesterday, haha.

Two days in a row of easy FJs. Ben-Hur has been my favorite movie since I was 7 (what was my mother thinking?) and Tour-de-France came to me as soon as I started thinking along the lines of scandal.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 1

I'm so glad I wasn't on this show, because I was sure FJ was the Nathan's Coney Island hot dog eating contest!

(Which is really embarrassing because I had a nice long talk with my stepmom right before I watched the show, and we were talking about this year's Tour de France.)

• Love 5

The only thing that matters in life is having a Jeopardy champion with a good haircut and the right arm movements!  Oh, and one who can stand perfectly still, starts from the top only, knows the rules, and otherwise behaves!

• Love 8

Well, I guess I am glad I gave up on my old dream of being on Jeopardy.

I would have to give up reading here because I would not be able to stand the comments on my hair, facial expressions or strange pauses when I speak due to an inability to breathe right when talking before a group.  

I'd probably be swaying a bit too because it hurts my back to stand in place for more than a few minutes.  Sigh...

And CarpeDiem.... I too have very thin fine hair that I started losing about a year ago.  My doctor suggested Rogaine and it has filled in the really thin spots and looks healthier and thicker than ever.  Turned it a bit darker shade, but I'll take that over bald spots.

Sorry for the commercial.......

• Love 8

The only thing that matters in life is having a Jeopardy champion with a good haircut and the right arm movements!  Oh, and one who can stand perfectly still, starts from the top only, knows the rules, and otherwise behaves!

A poster after my own heart :)

• Love 4

The only part of today's episode I caught was FJ, and I couldn't believe how easy it was. And then two of them missed it! WTH? That's not before anyone's time. 

I started to answer something about Major League baseball, then came up with the Tour de France and Cheating Lance at the last second.  Probably not in time to write it down, but I'm counting it anyway.

Well, I guess I am glad I gave up on my old dream of being on Jeopardy.

I would have to give up reading here because I would not be able to stand the comments on my hair, facial expressions or strange pauses when I speak due to an inability to breathe right when talking before a group.  

I'd probably be swaying a bit too because it hurts my back to stand in place for more than a few minutes.  Sigh...

And CarpeDiem.... I too have very thin fine hair that I started losing about a year ago.  My doctor suggested Rogaine and it has filled in the really thin spots and looks healthier and thicker than ever.  Turned it a bit darker shade, but I'll take that over bald spots.

Sorry for the commercial.......

I'm just glad I didn't know about Television Without Pity when I was a contestant.  Word to the swaying because of back pain - I find myself shifting from foot to foot almost constantly when standing for that very reason.

• Love 2

I'm so glad I wasn't on this show, because I was sure FJ was the Nathan's Coney Island hot dog eating contest!

I'm so sad you weren't on this show, because that is hilarious.

• Love 3
(edited)

Peeaye, 20-some riders had a collision on the Tour, one rider clipped another, they went down and a huge section of the peloton went down on top of them. It was a gigantic pile of spandex and bicycle parts. Some riders got broken bones, the leader had to drop out. The race was halted for some time because of it.

As a former bike racer, I'm all about the Tour every year, so that was a no-brainer for me. Although no way that episode was filmed during this week, so sound-editing monkeys at work?

Once again Albert Camus is a question/answer so Trebek gets to say "kahMEWOOO," stretching out Camus like a bawling steer caught in a bog. Gah. I hate him.

ETA: Otto is a faster typer than I am. Sorry for the dupe answer.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
Since when is being more specific with butcher knife going to lead to meat cleaver?

I thought meat cleaver, and when Alex asked to be more specific with butcher knife, I figured I was wrong, because how could butcher knife logically be thought to lead to meat cleaver?? 

I also knew FJ halfway through the clue being read. An insta-instaget for me, a very rare bird.

In the D...d category, IIRC, the first answer was deplaned, and I thought disembarked. I wonder if it would have been ruled correct? 

• Love 2

I was yelling "Curtains! She said Curtains!" Did they decide that "this title object" (singular!) was distinct from the actual title?

If Jenny had been ruled incorrect, either of the other contestants could have gotten it right and picked up the DD. This was a game where the winner was going to be the person who had the highest total going into FJ.

• Love 4
(edited)

"Welp, now we can discuss the new champion's bowl-cut! ;-)"

I knew there was a reason that I disliked him so much. It was because of his Dylan Roof haircut. He needs a new style pronto!

Ian did too much board jumping so I'm glad he lost. Jenny did pretty well after a shaky start. After her anecdote about doing a polar bear plunge for the Special Olympics, I was happy for her win.

When I saw there was an Agatha Christie category, I knew Alex would have an opportunity to say "Haircuuuuule Powot."

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 4

I was yelling "Curtains! She said Curtains!" Did they decide that "this title object" (singular!) was distinct from the actual title?

DH was pretty sure she added the s to Curtain so we waited for the correction but it didn't come.  I forget the exact wording of the clue but I assume they wanted the item that fell, not the title of the book.  I'm glad they got to all the Agatha Christie clues.  I knew them all:)

Also got Wrong Way Corrigan - Charles Lindbergh was a very bad guess.

Too many clues left in the J! round...I was liking the Witness category but they left a lot of that one.

I liked all the contestants.  Jenny did well, maybe she'll stick around for more than two games.

Louisiana Purchase flitted through my mind but I know so little about American history that I didn't really try too hard on that one.

• Love 1

I knew there was a reason that I disliked him so much. It was because of his Dylan Roof haircut. He needs a new style pronto!

Aw man!  It was probably taped long before Dylan Roof made himself infamous!  But you have a point there.  Back in the mid-90's, I met a guy who looked EXACTLY like Tim McVeigh.  Very nice young man, just recently out of the Army.  But oh my, he was disturbing to look at!  I lost touch with him, but I sure hope he grew his hair out at first opportunity.

I wonder if any Gilligan's Island fans were yelling, "Feldman!"  I'm pleased to say that I knew Corrigan.

• Love 3
(edited)

Thanks Gilligan's Island. I said Wrong Way Feldman.

Edit- So, yes, Wild Sow.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 4

Alex just can't control himself. Besides Haircuuuule Pwoiroee he even managed to over pronounce the word hump during his goofy opening monologue.

I was sooo rooting for Jenny and am glad she won.

I was getting tired of Bowl Cut Boy's solemn personality.

Besides Ian's annoying starting with high dollar clues, he lost me totally with his story about rafting with his drunken buddies without a professional guide. Nitwits like that are tragedies waiting to happen.

Way too many clues left on the J round and lots of TS.

My cable decided to have a freak out of some sort and I missed the FJ clue. Boo hiss.

• Love 4
(edited)
I forget the exact wording of the clue but I assume they wanted the item that fell, not the title of the book.

"This title object 'falls' in the 1975 novel that kills off Hercule Poirot."

Alex actually said, "Curtain, that's right!" Possibly imagining things, but I thought I heard a little break in the sound, as if there'd been some editing. Is it possible that Alex first correctly called it wrong, only to be overruled by a judge who hadn't heard the "s"? 

Edited by LadyintheLoop

I wasn't too interested in today's categories except the Christie one. What really tickled me was Jenny's little shrug and wiggle dance when she got DJ and FJ correctly. She seems fun. I hope she sticks around for a couple of games.

• Love 3

Besides Ian's annoying starting with high dollar clues, he lost me totally with his story about rafting with his drunken buddies without a professional guide. Nitwits like that are tragedies waiting to happen.

My uncle drowned after mixing alcohol and boating with his friends many years ago - the anniversary of his death was just two weeks ago - so yeah, I wasn't too impressed with Ian's story either.

"This title object 'falls' in the 1975 novel that kills off Hercule Poirot."

Alex actually said, "Curtain, that's right!" Possibly imagining things, but I thought I heard a little break in the sound, as if there'd been some editing. Is it possible that Alex first correctly called it wrong, only to be overruled by a judge who hadn't heard the "s"? 

I don't think they'd edit that out - they often come back and correct Alex's initial ruling.

• Love 2

Grrr … another goddamned “Oh, hel-lo” from Alex in response to a DD wager.

I loved the triple homophones, internal organ, and “it shoulda been a contender” categories.  In fact, add in the material, islands, and witness categories and that board was a really good one for me; I don’t think I missed a single clue in the first round.  I did pretty well in the DJ round, too, so this may have been an inappropriately easy game.

I’m surprised The Searchers was a TS.  I am not remotely a John Wayne fan, and, while I do enjoy movies from many eras and genres, I don’t consider myself a film buff.  But I thought that was so well-known a film (and so oft-cited as an Oscar snub) that at least one contestant would join me in knowing it. 

I’m equally surprised Death on the Nile was a TS.  Less surprised no one knew The Shadow could cloud men’s minds, but still surprised.  And Corrigan?!  Do people really not know things “before their time” anymore?  If anyone in my family makes a wrong turn, at least one of us will say, “Wrong way, Corrigan.”

The valley of the shadow of death was hideously overvalued; if I can quote something from the Bible, so can your average 10-year-old, never mind your average J! contestant.  Otherwise, the overvalued prize would have gone to Murder on the Orient Express as a DD.

I’ve never heard glass noodles called cellophane noodles, but a quick Google search tells me it’s a common alternate name.

And, yeah, WTF with “curtains” being okay?

FJ was an instaget for me, so I’m not surprised all three got it.

Has Alex ever addressed a male contestant as “young man”?

• Love 2
(edited)

There was a big pileup during the race involving so many riders that they stopped the race, and it forced 6 badly injured riders to withdraw from the race completely.

Thanks. Actually, I thought you meant there had been a horrible accident during the hot dog eating contest. I was imagining something like out of 'Stand By Me.'

Re tonight's ep -- I wasn't 100% positive, but I pretty confidently said "The Searchers." I thought the quote included in the clue -- "That'll be the day." -- was from that movie.

For the life of me I couldn't remember the name Corrigan. Wrong Way... somebody. Grrrr.

Death on the Nile seemed super easy. FJ was easy as well, though again I wasn't absolutely sure. Louisiana Purchase was the only thing I could think of.

I love the word akimbo.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5
Back in the mid-90's, I met a guy who looked EXACTLY like Tim McVeigh.  Very nice young man, just recently out of the Army.  But oh my, he was disturbing to look at!

My brother greatly resembled Timothy McVeigh at the time he was in the headlines.  It was disturbing, esp. since my brother was also in the military (still is). Turns out that everyone in my family had the same thought, and kept it to ourselves until one night around the living room when copious amounts of wine were involved, and we all said it at the same time.  Luckily, brother has aged beyond McVeigh's years and now looks exactly like our father.

I knew it was Wrong-Way SomethingIrish.  I was screaming "Mulligan" at the tv.

• Love 2

I first thought of Captain Peter "Wrong Way" Peachfuzz from the Bullwinkle show, but then got Corrigan just in time.

Ha ha ha!  I forgot all about him (and I loooovvvvve Rocky & Bullwinkle!)

Now I'm remembering a Dirty Joke that went around when I was a kid, involving a Pastor named Peachfuzz!  I'm sure you can figure it out ;-)

• Love 2
(edited)

I’m equally surprised Death on the Nile was a TS.  Less surprised no one knew The Shadow could cloud men’s minds, but still surprised.  And Corrigan?!  Do people really not know things “before their time” anymore?  If anyone in my family makes a wrong turn, at least one of us will say, “Wrong way, Corrigan.”

I'm not surprised by the Wrong Way Corrigan TS (which I got) - that's sort of an obscure bit of history unless you're really into aviation history (or your father - like mine - was a WWII buff*).  But Death on the Nile when the Temple of Abu Simbel was in the clue?  Less forgiveable.

FJ was an instaget for me, so I’m not surprised all three got it.

I thought of the Louisianna Purchase, but something about the wording of the clue threw me off, and I didn't think it was right.

* After googling Wrong Way Corrigan, it looks like he had nothing to do with WWII, but for some reason I connect them in my mind.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

My stepson also resembled McVeigh at that time. He found it amusing. 

My friend's Down Syndrome son, who is nonverbal and typically has an expressionless face, resembles Dylann Roof. I don't know if my friend sees it, but I won't mention it.

But Death on the Nile when the Temple of Abu Simbel was in the clue?  Less forgiveable.

Plus, the clue says something about water or a boat, so... DUH!

• Love 1

Even closed captioning put the S on Curtains.  Bad call, judges.  "Curtains" didn't even agree with the verb.  Curtain falls; curtains fall. The clue said "falls."

I thought bowl-cut-boy looked like the kid in the comics - Funky Winkerbean.  I try not to pay any attention to what serial killers & mass murderers look like.  Not that they notice, but I'm not giving them the attention they so crave.

As soon as I saw the FJ category, I knew I would've wagered everything.  I pretty much have a shrine to TJ in my home.  (Then Alex could've said, "HEL-looooooow!")

I've always held the opinion Corrigan knew exactly where he was going.  He probably couldn't get a visa or approval for his flight plan, or something, so he just lied about where he was headed & blamed his arrival in Ireland on going the wrong way.

• Love 3

Once again,Alex does that "Ooh,you knew that answer even though it was before your time!" That one was about Three Mile Island. Alex,that isn't pop culture. That is actual history. Which people are supposed to know to get on the damn show.

• Love 8
(edited)

I've always held the opinion Corrigan knew exactly where he was going.  He probably couldn't get a visa or approval for his flight plan, or something, so he just lied about where he was headed & blamed his arrival in Ireland on going the wrong way.

I thought the very same thing!  I didn't think it was a coincidence that Corrigan is an Irish name and he ended up in Ireland.

I just now googled WW Corrigan and apparently that is the general belief, that he did it on purpose.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

Cubism was a TS -- even though they showed a painting that had, big surprise, a lot of cubes in it.

In the DJ round, Alex generally doesn't ask for more information -- but when Heather only partially answered that question, even though she got eventually got it right but took too long to answer, Alex shouldn't have been prompting for more info so that another contestant could have rang in and possibly got it right.

FJ was easy -- Heather was way off with hydrogen.

• Love 6
(edited)

I thought Xenon was reasonable guess, if you just couldn't come up with all 6 noble gases, because of the 'X', but hydrogen? No.

When no one rang in for cubism, I thought I must be missing something and it wasn't the answer.

Edited by Fex
  • Love 3

Cubism was a TS -- even though they showed a painting that had, big surprise, a lot of cubes in it.

I was very surprised at that one too.  I got it and a couple other TS's that I remember: Viceroy butterfly in "V is for" and Orange Free State.  Maybe more but I don't remember:).

I agree that Alex shouldn't have prompted Heather for more info about Yellow Sea and yellow River - a wasted question.

Chemistry is not one of my wheelhouses so xenon was all I could come up with - I didn't figure it was right but it was all I had and was pleased I had anything in that category.

I thought Jenny would do better than she did since she seemed pretty sharp yesterday. 

Anyhow, congrats to the new champ.  I wish the champs would stick around a little longer than they have been doing.

• Love 2

You go, Kathy! But please stop saying, "Can I have [entire category name] for xxx dollars, please?" Wastes time and leaves too many clues on the board.

Heather looked pissed when she lost.

I've never played Scrabble in my life and most of my scientific knowledge has evaporated from my pea-sized brain. FJ left me with a deer in the headlights look on my face.

• Love 1

I’m so excited by the rare event that is an all-woman game, yet at the same time cringing in anticipation of what Alex might say.

I play Scrabble on my computer daily, and I tend to remember a fair bit of chemistry given how long it’s been since I studied it, so I was excited about FJ.  It was easy for me – my Scrabble knowledge confirmed my chemistry guess was correct.

The first round was another good one for me.  Anything about booze is right up my alley, I also ran the ‘90s TV category since that’s back when I watched a lot of TV and read enough entertainment media to be familiar with shows I didn’t watch, the Congress category was a breeze … I’m not sure how impressed my cat was by my performance, but I enjoyed it.

I thought they accepted mispronunciations consistent with the spelling of the name, so was surprised by the second contestant’s answer of Rowling – wrong form of the vowel, but correctly omitting the S the first contestant had appended – being rejected, but I guess it’s just misspellings consistent with the pronunciation of the name.  Or maybe I heard that wrong altogether.  Help?

The Sad category’s clues seemed too easy for DJ.  Same with the Bible phrases clues, since I got all of them.  And a picture of a stingray?

Cubism was my most surprising TS.  But Black Rock, given the “bad day at …” clue within the clue, was also unexpected as a TS.

• Love 1

I’m so excited by the rare event that is an all-woman game, yet at the same time cringing in anticipation of what Alex might say.

Seriously, when he said let's get started ladies my boyfriend and I both said at the same time "what fucked up thing is he going to say?" We were shocked that he didn't say anything awful.

• Love 6

I can't say I particularly enjoyed this game. The best part for me was during the interview portion when Alex asked Jenny about the group she was involved with. You could see Jenny pausing for a split second as she wondered if she could say it, but since he asked... Knit and Bitch. 

The three TSs I got were Cubism, Viceroy (butterfly), and Munich. I did not get FJ. Xenon was all I could come up with.

• Love 1