Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I actually saw that production of "A Winter's Tale" at the Old Globe!  There were some really easy categories tonight.  I was really hoping that the Amy Adams category would have a question about Enchanted.  As a theater minor, I was screaming at my TV for Betrayal and Doubt.  I was really surprised no one got the Jack the Ripper clue given that the 1860's, 1870's, and 1890's had been taken off the table.

• Love 1

I was disappointed the Doctor Who category wasn't really about Doctor Who.  And it turned out to be a super easy category (Dr Spock, Freud, Atkins, really?).

And not a single woman.

I flute my pie crusts.

• Love 5

I always remember when Nixon resigned -- August 1974 -- because I was vacationing with my sister and mother in England at the time.

Small world - we were close to each other!  I was in Germany since my Dad was stationed there at the time. 

I knew the dates were wrong but I kept thinking Truman since he loved the piano so much.

• Love 2

I was really hoping that the Amy Adams category would have a question about Enchanted.

I was hoping for one about Sunshine Cleaning, since it’s the only film other than Julie & Julia in which I’ve seen Amy Adams (plus, I love it).  I knew American Hustle from commercials and chatter, but I think that’s the only one I got.  That was not my category.  For Trouble With the Curve, I could picture the promos with Clint Eastwood, but had no clue on the title.

• Love 1

M Darcy, where in Germany?

I was there 1968-72, my dad was AIr Force

I remember Nixon resigning because it was the summer between freshman and sophomore year of college.. we sat in the dorm lounge to watch the news (nobody had their own TV, you damn spoiled kids...) I followed Watergate like it was Days of our Lives.

We were so happy to see the rat bastard go. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Alex definitely deserved the win - he was quicker on the signaler than Brandon, but I'm sorry to see Brandon leave - he is such a cutie, although I think he must panic at DDs - he missed some (to me) really easy ones, like a military person who was pictured wearing a band uniform (Sousa).

Edited by mjc570
  • Love 3

No I just cannot with contestant Alex. The swaying, the murmuring, the unnecessary words, just no. And for cod's sack, the Target thing was all over the news when it happened. Ugh. Dammit, Brandon.

• Love 3

Instaget FJ since it was such a huge story here in Canada.  Was it big news in the US as well?

I felt sorry for the woman in the middle who forgot answers had to start with B, so she got reminded by Alex the Host.  On the other hand, I thought it was pretty well known that Brigitte Bardot was an animal rights activist.

I like Contestant Alex pretty well, despite the swaying.

• Love 3

I thought Rena wasn't a very good player when she thought Sophia Loren was a French sex symbol--not only forgetting that all the answers had to start with "B" but misidentifying Loren's birthplace (Italy). But she redeemed herself nicely later on .

Good game--outcome was up in the air until the end. I wondered if "missed the mark" in the FJ clue was a hint. Yes, it was.

They are saving them for a category called "Women Doctors".

Well,  Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell turned up today. I tried to think of other famous women doctors, and didn't come up with many who are household names apart from Dr. Joyce Brothers.

• Love 1

I guess the secret to Brandon's success was never getting a DD correct. He finally got one and lost the game. Not sure about Alex the Contestant. He has the potential to be very annoying.

WTH was up with all the pictures?

Rizzoli & Isles and Lipton as TS were...befuddling. I can't think of a better word.

FJ was an instaget before Alex finished reading the clue. I thought it was a Teen Tournament level clue, it was so easy (and all over the news). I was shocked only one of them got it.

• Love 5
Well,  Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell turned up today. I tried to think of other famous women doctors, and didn't come up with many who are household names apart from Dr. Joyce Brothers.

Joycelyn Elders? There have been several astronauts who would work, if only they were household names. Jerri Nielsen? (I had to look up her name but remembered her circumstances.) Dr. Blackwell should have been on yesterday and another woman could have taken her spot in today's broader category (pun not intended).

Alex must not watch Law and Order, because his "dun dun" was all wrong, going up on the second one.

Gibbons are awesome, and I was glad someone got it right.

• Love 2

Sometimes I wonder if this show is rigged because answers like "Target" are so obvious that there must be some pre-destined outcome...for some reason. Also, contestants can be on a roll for several episodes but then fail in others spectacularly. 

• Love 1

I didn’t tune in until after the first commercial break, and my introduction to Rena was her reading the entire TV shows category title, including the “blank & blank” part.   Later, in the Lafayette category, she said “Same category,” and then went on to say the category.  Grrr. 

In that TV shows category, I was surprised no one knew Rizzoli & Isles.  I wanted to see a Cagney & Lacey clue.  (I didn't know Parks & Recreation, but got the rest.)

Lipton (tea) was a pretty surprising TS.

Knowing the capital of Iceland is a DJ clue?  Come on.  Some of the Armed category clues were a bit easy for DJ.

I didn’t specifically know that Target had failed in Canada – business news often goes in one ear and out the other – but the wording of the clue gave me the answer right away.

• Love 2

Rizzoli & Isles and Lipton as TS were...befuddling. I can't think of a better word.

I've never watched Rizzoli & Isles. I'm aware of it, but I couldn't quite remember the name either. I thought it was perfectly understandable that Rena said Franklin & Bash. Sometimes TV shows and movies have unmemorable names.

I would have said Lipton, but I wasn't positive. It kind of seemed too easy a clue, but then so many of them are.

I wondered if "missed the mark" in the FJ clue was a hint. Yes, it was.

I knew that was a hint, but the only thing (at first) I could think of was Marks & Spencer, a chain of stores in England. So my answer was Walmart even though I didn't think they would make such an expansion blunder. Honestly, I didn't remember this news story. I'm a big Target fan, so maybe I just blotted it out from my memory. Anyway, just as time ran out I made the connection betw "miss the mark" and Target.

I was beyond shocked that two of them didn't get FJ. Target made (Canadian) headline news for months - when they announced they were expanding into Canada, when they announced they'd be taking over most of the Zellers stores, when they announced the sheer number of stores they'd be opening, when the stores opened and there were all the issues with empty shelves and high prices, when they were losing a lot of money, when they announced they'd be closing all of their stores (which was HUGE news), when the closing sales were barely enough to qualify as a sale, when there were stories about the issues/legalities of closing all of those pharmacies, and then when the last store actually closed. And then there was the "Closing Time" video that some Target employees made that was all over the internet. Couple all of that media coverage with it being so recent, and I barely had to glance at the clue to get it. Walmart has been in Canada for at least 20 years and is doing very well - part of the reason Target failed was because Walmart had more items at better prices. I wonder what made them think of it in the first place?

For the tea clue, I couldn't decide between Lipton and Tetley - I had guessed Tetley, though :(

• Love 2
(edited)

The bigger Target news I remember is the credit card breach. I got the answer because of the "mark" hint, but if the clue said "This company tried to go to Canada but screwed things up", I probably would have missed it.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 4
(edited)

Sometimes I wonder if this show is rigged because answers like "Target" are so obvious that there must be some pre-destined outcome...for some reason. Also, contestants can be on a roll for several episodes but then fail in others spectacularly. 

I don't understand why you would think this based on what happened. I've been there, and they really go out of their way to avoid doing things that might give away anything about the game in advance. Supposedly not even the people who wrote the clues know which ones will be used when, and the contestants are forbidden to speak to Alex Trebek or anyone connected with the show other than the contestant coordinators. As for champs doing well and then flaming out--it happens. Categories turn up that aren't in their wheelhouse (everyone has gaps in their knowledge that shock others who assume "everyone knows that"), someone else has superior knowledge and/or buzzer skills, the champs get tired, etc. 

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5

For the tea clue, I couldn't decide between Lipton and Tetley - I had guessed Tetley, though :(

So did I,

I too was surprised Rizzoli & Isles was a TS.

• Love 2

The only reason I knew Rizzoli & Isles is because I watch "Bones" reruns during the day and the commercials for R&I are on eleventy times an hour on TNT. Otherwise, I would have had no idea. It's not that well-known of a show, is it? I mean, Angie is beyond gorgeous but I don't really follow her career.

• Love 1

"Women Doctors" - don't forget Dr. Ruth!

I could see in mind's eye, the guy on the box of tea with his military hat on, holding up a cuppa...and "Lipton" sprung to mind.  I can't tell you what Tetley's or Bigelow's packaging looks like. (When I buy tea bags, I buy the store brand, anyway)

I agree that the credit card breach was bigger Target news (after all, it affected AMURRICANS!) than the store closings, but "miss the mark" pretty much gave it away.

When the categories were first revealed, for "...blank & blank", I shouted out "Starsky & Hutch!" - imagine my disappointment.  The whole "bong bong" thing was stupid.  First of all, it doesn't sound like that and, secondly, Alex's rendition was even dumber than his Fresh Prince impersonation.  (On other forums I've participated in, they've referred to it as "doink, doink."  I read once that in creating the sound, dry ice was used.  I'm not sure how, but part of the sound was created with dry ice.)

• Love 4
When the categories were first revealed, for "...blank & blank", I shouted out "Starsky & Hutch!" - imagine my disappointment.

I was hoping for 'Simon and Simon' or 'Hardcastle and McCormick' -- you know, kicking it old school -- or even 'Garfunkel and Oates' or 'Key and Peele' for something more recent.

• Love 2

I was hoping for 'Simon and Simon' or 'Hardcastle and McCormick' -- you know, kicking it old school -- or even 'Garfunkel and Oates' or 'Key and Peele' for something more recent.

For something really obscure, how about Eisenhower & Lutz, a sitcom starring Scott Bakula?  It lasted for only 13 episodes, back in 1988. 

I was positive Cagney & Lacy would be in that category and I was disappointed that they weren't.

• Love 2

"I was hoping for 'Simon and Simon' or 'Hardcastle and McCormick' -- you know, kicking it old school -- or even 'Garfunkel and Oates' or 'Key and Peele' for something more recent."

Kate and Allie, B.J. and the Bear, Jake and the Fat Man?

• Love 6

Ah man, not only did Jeopardy get pre-empted for stupid women's soccer, but there was a thunderstorm during the time that Fox re-ran it, and all I saw was the FJ.  Pooey.

I thought it was obvious that Alex's cough was because the heroine gets TB. I quickly pictured Greta Garbo coughing in 'Camille.' I wonder if I would have answered "Camille" instead of "Camellia."

I knew it because the opera La Traviata was based on the novel.  But I also thought of Camille.

• Love 1

Was it big news in the US as well?

I didn't think it was a particularly big story here, but I generally don't pay attention to business news anyway.  Maybe Brandon is like that.

The pictures in the picture category didn't help me much.  The ones I knew I mostly got from the clues, and the two I didn't know, I didn't recognize the photos.

Rizzoli & Isles and Lipton as TS were...befuddling.

All I could think of for the tea clue was Twinings.

• Love 2

Later, in the Lafayette category, she said “Same category,” and then went on to say the category.  Grrr.

Oh my goodness, yes. I don't mind when people say "same category," but then to follow it with the freaking name of the category? That made me stabby.

My precalls for the blank & blank TV category were:

Law & Order

Parks & Rec (they ask about this show a lot)

Hardcastle & McCormick

Rizzoli & Isles

Ren & Stimpy (and/or Beevis & Butthead)

• Love 4

The South China Sea -- complete with a highlighted area showing it on the map -- was a TS.  Seriously ?

I'm afraid I didn't get it either.  I know I should have but I did not.

Didn't get FJ either.  I said Monet but really just to have something to say - I had no clue at all.

• Love 4

I wasn't a huge fan of Alex the contestant (after all, he ousted that cutie, Brandon), but I much preferred him over the other 2 contestants tonight.  Elsa was pleasant, but boring (sorry!) and I very much disliked Jon - for the Scottish accent, starting categories in the middle of the column and the overly emotional anecdote. I don't wish to appear unfeeling, but please, contestants, could you not bring up dead family members and then, get emotional.  Wow, I guess I AM pretty unfeeling, but I much prefer the Wheel of Fortune quickie intros (spouse, kids, job), which is why I generally DVR Jeopardy and FF that stuff.

Maybe I'm getting smarter ( ha ha), but it seemed like a lot of clues, especially in the second round, were just so obvious. 

• Love 4

I admit I started rooting for Jon after he told that anecdote about his late mom and seemed on the verge of tears. I could have done without the Scottish accents, but praise deity they didn't keep them up for too long. Just once, though, I wish we could get through a clue about Scotland without accents. Ditto Dracula. I could list many others, but those feel like the most overdone. 

I thought Double Jeopardy was easier than the first round tonight. I had never heard of most of those shoe manufacturers. I would have said Dr. Scholl instead of Doc Martens. I also didn't know about the rockers in different bands other than Paul McCartney. 

Van Gogh for FJ was my first instinct and turned out to be correct, but it could have been a number of Impressionists.

• Love 1

"I don't wish to appear unfeeling, but please, contestants, could you not bring up dead family members and then, get emotional."

I look forward to watching Jeopardy because it tests my brainpower and it's great for escaping from my problems. I resented Jon talking about his mother's death from colon cancer. This whole year has me getting treatments from colon cancer.

My prognosis is favorable but whenever I read or hear about death from cancer, I get depressed. From contestants, I'd rather hear about pickle making or other mundane topics than dead family members.

• Love 10
(edited)

pandora spocks, I wish you the best.

When you’re dealing with a particular problem – either yourself, or in a loved one – it seems to pop up everywhere, doesn’t it?  This weekend, I went around the dial looking to distract myself from the wait for test results that could have shown terminal illness (not mine, and they turned out pretty good) and, I swear, every third channel was airing a show or movie that involved dying!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

My J! pet peeves:

Alex T. saying "We all know what that means" about something in a category title.  What do you want, Alex, a pat on the head?  Either explain it to the viewers who do not know what it means, or don't mention it.

Contestants who always say their answer "What is X?" in a tone of voice that sounds as if they are guessing.  Sure, sometimes people really do guess, but anyone who gets onto the show should not be guessing all the time, and they should not sound as if they are.  IMO.

• Love 3

Alex T. saying "We all know what that means" about something in a category title.  What do you want, Alex, a pat on the head?  

This made me giggle.

pandora spocks, hope all goes well.

My first thought for FJ was Van Gogh, but I was thinking he lived earlier in the 19th century. 

• Love 3

All I could think of for the tea clue was Twinings.

Same here because that's the brand I buy.

I always FF through the contestant stories so I missed Jon's, and I'm glad I did. I was particularly annoyed that he won because toward the end of the game, when the other two left him in the dust, he was stabbing at the buzzer and throwing his hands up in frustration when he didn't buzz in first. Please get over yourself. I'm guessing he'll be a one and done because he got a lucky break in FJ.

As distracting as I found the champs voice, I would have preferred that he'd won.

• Love 1