Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Magnum Opus

Entering first commercial - oh god show, you can't even have Katrina contact the Witnesses without getting caught and screwing it all up. I'm alternating between shaking my head and laughing.

*le sigh*

I just don't understand....

• Love 12

AAARGH they cut into the show - probably to announce that they won't indict. Lovely. /sarcasm

That's exactly what they did. And considering it's been obvious for oh  I don't know 109 days they weren't going to get Mike Brown justice they really could have done this, in the morning, or at news time. 

What made fox think anybody would rather hear that tragic news as opposed to seeing fun adventures of Ichabbie...you know a mostly positive sign of race relations.

Jackasses.

• Love 7

I completely understand FOX interrupting programming to announce the Ferguson verdict. But to go back to programming then interrupt again and again to  say people were standing outside the courthouse in Fergurson was so unnecessary. Because of these interruptions I couldn’t get a clear understanding of what was happening in this episode. I’ll definitely have to rewatch On Demand.

The little I did manage to gather looked good. So glad Hawley was nowhere to be seen and that we got the original 4 OTPs – Abbie/Crane/Jenny/Irving. Though Katrina continues to grate, she was tolerable with my favorites getting ample screentime in this eppy.

Abraham’s anger was palpable this episode. I can completely understand his rage towards Crane.  He (Crane) betrayed him in the worst way.

Who were the two Horseman behind Henry in the last scene? I know that one was the Horseman of Death, but who was the other?

I thought the Fall finale was this week. Glad we get one more episode next week.

Edited by Enero

That's exactly what they did. And considering it's been obvious for oh  I don't know 109 days they weren't going to get Mike Brown justice they really could have done this, in the morning, or at news time. 

What made fox think anybody would rather hear that tragic news as opposed to seeing fun adventures of Ichabbie...you know a mostly positive sign of race relations.

Jackasses.

Just in case it wasn't clear - my sarcasm was about them choosing not to indict. Not about them cutting in. I understand that - though I'm irritated because I already knew they wouldn't indict. And angry.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 10

WTF is going on with Katia's wig?  All I could see was her forehead.  Not a good look.

Some nice moments between Abbie and Ichabod, but I couldn't blame her for getting angry with him for being so blase about her ancestor's death.  Being turned to stone has to be horrifying.

Hope Irving doesn't stay underground for long.  At least Jenny tried to help him.  Something tells me that Henry can track down Irving wherever he is, since he owns Irving's soul.

What exactly happened when Henry lifted the enchantment spell?  I thought Katrina would finally see KidMoloch as his demon self, but it looked like the whole house was falling apart.

I know it's been done many times, but Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was my first thought when we learned about the sword and the Gorgon.  

I liked the depth into Abraham this week, and it's sad to see what good friends he and Ichabod used to be.  But what surprised me was his dedication to Moloch.  I honestly thought he wouldn't care much about the Apocalypse anymore once he had Katrina, but he's still a devoted servant.  I guess Henry will be redeemed before Abraham will.

The newsfeed on my station (my God, that was depressing and infuriating) didn't cut off much, about two minutes during the show and the last minute before the credits.  It did show a ticker on the bottom of the screen saying a decision had been made, and the episode would be interrupted shortly.  I was expecting the outcome, but I was hoping against hope.

Edited by Amethyst

Just in case it wasn't clear - my sarcasm was about them choosing not to indict. Not about them cutting in. I understand that - though I'm irritated because I already knew they wouldn't indict. And angry.

It was very clear and I'm in total agreement

• Love 1

Glad Abbie finally got mad at Ichabod for not acknowledging what happened to her ancestor.  I'm sure it's not out of malice, but Ichabod really needs to start realizing that these events aren't just hurting him and the Cranes, but Abbie and the Mills family as well.

So, Henry plays Katrina like a chump, and she, of course, still believes that he can be turned to the good side.  Katrina is so useless.

The flashbacks were interesting in the sense that Ichabod really was kind of a bad friend to Abraham.  Still doesn't excuse him for joining Team Moloch, but Abraham does have the right to be kind of pissed at him.  Still, Headless>Abraham.

Jenny and Frank did squat this episode.  Tries to take him to Canada, only for him to change his mind, and go.... somewhere?  They really seem to have no idea what they want to do with Frank.  Poor Orlando Jones.

• Love 5

I really enjoyed the episode. As long as Ichabbie continue to go on missions together with no one butting in, I can be patient with everything else. Didn't mind Katina as I think she's at her most interesting with Henry and Abraham and wish she could stay there. I like Hawley, but I was fine with him sitting this out. This felt to me more like a first-season kind of show. And I loved that they emphasized once more that the Witnesses need each other to succeed, and that Abraham put more doubts about Katrina in Ichabod's head.

• Love 3

Wait, didn't we know already why Abraham became a Horseman and that he blames Ichy for it? Did we need another episode about him and Ichy whining about their love for StruggleWitch? At least they have the sword now, but I wish they had written a more interesting plot for the episode.

Yes, Abbie, Ichy doesn't give a damn about you or your family. Bite that self-centered prick's head off and get rid of him. You don't need him.

Another episode, another chance for Ichy to demean Abbie's intelligence. At this point, I think I despise him even more than his stupid wife.

• Love 4

I have no idea how it ended. I will catch it on demand. FOX has the right to break for news, but with their track record, it just seems like race baiting. So disappointed in the verdict, FOX news, and cause I didn't get to see Sleepy Hollow.

• Love 1
I know it's been done many times, but Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was my first thought when we learned about the sword and the Gorgon.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Indy had to pick the Cup of Christ, in a room full of cups. Nice twist that the wrong selection turned to snakes, but that's what I first thought.

Did Henry just spout everything that we've been saying about Katrina? Wow, writers, maybe they may slightly get it. Shocker.

Honestly, feel really sorry for Abraham. I really do. Poor thing. Had little choice on becoming a baddie, and when he did, is still stupid about Katrina. Like Ichabod.

This better mean something in the near future. "It is through your eyes that I see myself most clearly." Are these writers reading our friggin posts?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And let's try not to go too much off topic with Ferguson in this thread please, thought I know we want to but this is not the place. Sorry. Completely understandable, but sorry. But the lack of indictment? Disgusting.

• Love 4

Liked the Abbie and Ichabod interactions this epidode.

Abraham is a whiny baby. So Ichabod and your girl fell in love -- get over it already! I liked him better as a wordless menace.

Are they deliberately making StruggleWitch this pathetic so that she can save the day in the fall finale???

I have zero use for Henry and just want him dead as soon as possible.

• Love 3

Who were the two Horseman behind Henry in the last scene? I know that one was the Horseman of Death, but who was the other?

I thought the Fall finale was this week. Glad we get one more episode next week.

I think horseman 2 was the horseman of war "robot" that Henry can control.

• Love 3

Thank you Abbie for standing up for the women in your family! Abbie is still awesome.

This episode did make me feel for Abraham more but that is not what I want. I want bada$$ headless.

I liked the fight but did it have to come down to Katrina. Boo!

I know I have an advantage as a viewer but when there is a random bowl of liquid substance, odds are it is important.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed this episode.  GREAT interaction between Crane and Abbie and I'm so glad it was their relationship that carried this episode.

"He was the liar-in-chief!"

Only on Sleepy Hollow can you see the (gun-toting) Headless Horseman vs a Gorgon.  Not to mention the stone statues of previous eras.  That's one of the reasons I love this show.

Katrina is the WORST spy in the world.  On top of being a pretty crappy wish.

This story was rightly a very intimate one but it did expose one of the weaknesses on this show that Entertainment Weekly wrote about.  This episode involved the main cast and no one else.  It does validate the criticism that there seems to be no one else in Sleepy Hollow except for the main cast.  Sleepy Hollow seems to be a town in name only as they don't bother to develop anyone else in the area (Hawley aside).

• Love 5

Gotcha! Wanted to make sure you didn't misunderstand me, :)

I am depressed now though - I'm gonna lay it down and catch up on SH tomorrow or later, :(

I was on twitter and saw some of the "evidence" of the officers injuries...I'm...so annoyed.  

After I finish watching WWE I'm gonna see how much of Sleepy Hollow was shone on my station.  Abbie always cheers me up.

I'm almost on team Abraham. Almost. Katrina alone puts me there, but my scant faith in Ichabod swings me slightly back. Slightly.

Because you are a dick, sir (Ichabod). "Know thyself". Learn from Abigail Mills. See yourself through Abigail Mills. Divest yourself of one Ms. Van Tassel and embrace your most positive and delightful future.

Abbie's voice breaking when she was talking about her ancestors' sacrifice? Broke my heart.

• Love 8

Since I live in the St. Louis area, all of the network affiliates (except ABC), have been covering the Ferguson Verdict all day and what could be well into tonight and tomorrow.

A lot more gripping TV than what's been offered on <I>Sleepy Hollow</I> this season, Ferguson is.

So, what'd I miss this episode?  Nothing?

I shockingly really enjoyed this episode. There was so much goodness: The Crane/Abbie interaction felt like old times. Jenny and Irving got a storyline. We finally got to see Headless being badass again. I even liked Abraham with his head since he was being fun in the flashbacks and menacing in the present, instead of playing house with Struggle Witch. Even Henry and Katrina didn't bother me (much) since their screen time was minimal. I hope the finale next week and the rest of the season are more like this.

Edited by cynic
  • Love 6

Watching this season feels like watching a headless chicken running in circles. Too much filler, too much circular plotting and as long as this show is about the CFD, there is no hope for it to get better. I don't even have hope that Moloch will make this show scary and exciting again. Maybe there is a big revelation coming, something about him being all about loving Katrina as well.

“It is through your eyes that I see myself most clearly.”

Of course Crane likes to see himself through Abbie's eyes, mostly because she keeps flattering his ego with things like:

“You chose to be a patriot and a hero. Someone who does not give up.”

Nevermind that this "hero", who has gladly backstabbed her again and again, has yet to be called out on matters of loyalty and basic human decency. Good thing that they dispelled any doubts about who the truest and worthiest hero in the show is, by having Crane take the sword and not Abbie, even though it's her family who made the sacrifices. She just exists to facilitate his epicness, like the good little sidekick she is.

Here's a choice: You have the Horseman of Death and one of the Witnesses chosen to stop the Apocalypse. You can either make them fight for Humanity's fate or you can make them fight an ordinary duel over the dullest redhead ever. Apparently the choice was way too easy for Goffman.

• Love 1

Katrina is worse than a damsel. If she was just lying around being helpless, they could rescue her or not, but the way she is now, she's actively making everything worse with her weepy ineptitude and whispery schemes of anguished interfering blandness. Actually, except for Abbie, everyone on the damn show is emo at this point. It's getting past annoying.

The original Medusa (gorgon) was slain by a guy with a mirror. I think it was his shield-- he held it so that he didn't have to look at her, but he could look at her reflection and then cut her head off that way. Surely with his classical education, Icabod knows that story? I learned it in public school English class, where we were reading myths. He seemed to know that he could look at her image, as long as he didn't look at her directly, so why didn't they try that instead of luring Abraham the Original Headless Heartbroken Man, to complicate matters?

I love Abbie. But she's increasingly saddled with a terrible show.

• Love 6

Ha, I must be old because the first thing I thought of was Medusa and Perseus (and Clash of the Titans with Harry Hamlin).

WTF is going on with Katia's wig? All I could see was her forehead.

That was a seriously awful wig. I found myself staring at her forehead and trying to remember what her last wig looked like because it was not this bad. Did her old wig have bangs or something? The new wig was noticably redder too, even in the darker scenes.

Headless>Abraham

ITA and that was made even more obvious tonight because there were so many Headless and Abraham scenes. Headless was awesome. Abraham sucked. But I totally understand why he's so angry with Crane. I know you can't help who you love or how you feel, but still. Even when Abraham is fighting and not talking, Headless is still so much better.

When they were down in the chamber of secrets, I kept thinking about how Crane didn't have any socks because he used them to make torches.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Henry lifting the enchantment from Katrina really needs to blow up in his face in the most epic way possible. Him gloating about how useless Katrina is being is just repulsive, and highlights a flaw in the show's plotting. 

Hmm.. Actually, you know what I really want? I want the start of episode 11 to be Katrina revealing that she didn't make that poison for the demon kid. - after all, he was spawned from poison, it's probably not a very workable way to kill him.

Nope, instead it is a contact poison and she painted it on the mirror frame. Bye, bye Henry. After all, he fondles everything he does magic on, so... 

This would: Add some much needed awesome to Katrina's character and preclude her from engaging in any more spy gambits, because team evil is not that bloody daft, put an end to the debate about redeeming Henry, and possibly create some new dynamics between Katrina, Abby and Crane. 

Edited by Izeinwinter

“You chose to be a patriot and a hero. Someone who does not give up.”

The show needs to stop this shit. I'm tired of seeing Abbie praise Ichy, while he does nothing but demean and insult her at every turn. He's disgusting.

It turns out his deep convictions have always been paper thin and his decisions have been more about whose company he wanted more than personal integrity or ideals. When he whined about how his life had been determined by others, I wanted to punch him in the face. That's inevitable with everybody up to a certain point, but this obnoxious cad has always been more than happy to follow the next shiny thing: who stroked his ego better. He's been willingly blind out of selfishness.

I'm hate-watching at this point. Abbie and Jenny are the only good characters left, since Frank's plot is not that interesting either.

• Love 2

I haven't seen the episode but from reading here it sounds like a hot mess. A Gorgon? Really? Now they're throwing Greek mythology into the mix? It's clear the writers are just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. Both Beharie and Mison's talents are squandered on this show.

Ichabod clearly values Abbie. He took on Headless -- twice? three times? -- in this ep once explicitly to save Abbie and once to give her time to get the sword plus once again to get him to leave the crypt.

The problem is Katrina and it was on display in this ep. As soon as she shows up, Crane is racing over to her and forgets all his other priorities. The show needs to be focused on the Witness bond and every other character needs to be secondary to that bond IMO. Katrina must go if they can't learn to balance her the way they balance Jenny's effect on Abbie.

Edited by chrisvee
  • Love 8

Wait, a gorgon? What?

Keep that disbelief suspended, and push throughout the gorgon scenes! 

Does someone else play Headless in the, uh, headless scenes? Or is it the same guy? Headless seems so BAMF, and Abraham is so emo.....

Here in Canada ( where I am anyway) we got the whole show uninterrupted if you watched on a Canadian channel. 

• Love 1

I missed a little part towards the middle and the very end but I thought it was okay.

I liked Abbie and Ichabod working together again and I like how much we saw of headless, Headless. So much scarier when he's not dredging up the past. Too much Katrina, of course. She didn't even contact them through the mirror herself. Henry let her. She was a pawn....again. Ugh.

That shot over Cranes shoulder showing the Gorgon hiding. No thanks. Too scary.

Loved the Culper Ring shout out. As someone who watches Turn it was like my 2 Revolutionary War fandoms were colliding.

Does someone else play Headless in the, uh, headless scenes? Or is it the same guy? Headless seems so BAMF, and Abraham is so emo.....

It's a different guy. A better guy.

• Love 2

That was a seriously awful wig. I found myself staring at her forehead and trying to remember what her last wig looked like because it was not this bad. Did her old wig have bangs or something? The new wig was noticably redder too, even in the darker scenes.

I always find the color of her hair distracting.  That color red does not exist outside of a bottle.  Clairol wasn't around in the 1700's.  I think I would find her character more tolerable if she looked more like a woman from that era.

ETA:  Van Tassel is a stripper name.

Edited by monakane
  • Love 8
Katrina is worse than a damsel. If she was just lying around being helpless, they could rescue her or not, but the way she is now, she's actively making everything worse with her weepy ineptitude and whispery schemes of anguished interfering blandness. Actually, except for Abbie, everyone on the damn show is emo at this point. It's getting past annoying.

Oh possibilities, THIS is what I came her to say but you said it so much better. 

YEP.  I think it may be time for me to go.

• Love 2

I don't know if it was better to miss some of it or all of it.  For some reason, my DVR decided to record my local CBS station instead of Fox, so I got part of 'Scorption' (or something like that), the 'special report' and back to CBS.  (The cable gods were really against me last night--since 'Dancing with the stars' went overtime by over ten minutes, I didn't even try to watch the 'Castle' episode I was recording.  Even with extra minutes tacked on, I would have missed the ending.)

I got the gist of what happened by reading the comments here, but when does Fox 'unlock' the latest episode and make it available for watching online?  

For crap's sake! Someone get Katrina a scrunchie for that Feria mess on her head.

I thought those smartphones at the beginning were going to be like Chekhov's guns, and that Abbie and Ichabod would use them to look at the Gorgon without actually looking at the Gorgon. But no! No. Of course not. 

I like to think they chose a Gorgon for this episode because "Medusa" and "Methuselah" sound sort of alike. That's all I've got. Frankly, I've always felt sorry for Medusa in stories.

Also, I wish Abbie and Ichabod had grabbed the oil-pit sword together instead of Ichabod grabbing by himself. I think it would have been a better thematic fit.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 5

Well I'm out. I can put up with a lot but this show is just poorly written. I felt absolutely no investment in anything that happened onscreen. It just seemed like random sci-fi tropes thrown on screen with endless, pointless exposition that we've heard a million times before. "Blah, blah, blah...Moloch will rise." "Blah, blah, blah...destiny, legacy, know thyself." "Blah, blah, blah...George Washington, Ben Franklin." I spent most of this episode surfing the net except for the literal (and figurative) swordfight between Ichabod and Abraham where I was yelling. "I don't care!" I'm not even hate watching. I'm bored watching. For all the discussion about diversity and behind the scenes machinations the bottom line for me is that these writers can't craft a compelling, coherent story. Irving may want to stay and fight but I'm taking Jenny up on the offer to go to Canada.

• Love 1

I thought of Clash of the Titans Harry Hamlin style also. We did get to see Crane using his phone to watch the fight.

Maybe I am deluding myself but I am ok with Abbie letting Crane pull the sword because a) she wouldn't know what to do with a sword and b) his ego needed it.

At this point I would not be shocked to find out Abbie is "proping" Crane up only because he is the other Witness and she can't afford to have a partner who sucks.

• Love 1

For crap's sake! Someone get Katrina a scrunchie for that Feria mess on her head.

I think that wig of Katrina's was out carousing the night before---it looked pretty hung-over to me. Katrina's wig ought to have a thread of its own as it's become its own character. I like to think of it as the Lindsay Lohan of wigs... ;)

Edited by RiddleyWalker
  • Love 9

Well, I liked this episode. It was good to see Abbie and Ichabod working together as a team. Yeah, Ichabod's an emotional, diva kind of dude and Abbie's a weathered rock of purpose but I think that perfectly fits and why they are good together.

• Love 11

I'm with all of you that prefer Headless to Abraham. Headless is somehow much more menacing (and hot) with no head. Maybe it's the actor. Wonder what the Headless actor looks like? Perhaps they should have used him if they had to give him a head.
I can't stand that Katrina is still wearing that dumb corset, but every time I say that my husband says "I'm good with it." So, I guess her wardrobe works for a certain demographic. Her hair color is so distracting though.

• Love 4

Ah man, I guess I am in the minority. I really like this episode overall. Loved Ichabod and Abraham flashback fencing scenes. See, Mison even have more chemistry fencing with Neil Jackson than with the wife. Sheesh. Loved the gorgon - creepy as hell and liked how they used headless to take out the Gorgon. The scene selecting the sword was good too, as was Abraham confronting Ichabod in that room.

Again, I felt sorry for Abraham - he deserves better than Katrina as his bride and Ichabod is not much of a friend, but I guess that's his character now. I would like to see him redeemed to be honest - at least his soul move on, and someone else can inhabit headless. Even the way Abe was trying to convince Ichabod during the fencing scene - see he seems like a good friend, NOT Ichabod. Seriously, Katrina and Ichabod deserve each other because Crane just becomes a terrible person in her presence.

I know someone up thread said why didn't they use a mirror? Because the Gorgon would attack them and it would be hard to fight off a gorgon looking through the mirror. Headless had to fight it off too, until he chopped off the gorgon's head.

Loved Henry basically telling Katrina about what an idiot she is overall and makes very poor decisions. *applause*

The irritating parts - wait, so now Abraham was the reason that Ichabod came to America and switched sides. I thought he was already here as a British soldier. I though the 'weight of his conscience" caused him to turncoat, NOT a friend. I don't know man - can Crane think for himself? He seems....lost and directionless.

Him 'seeing' Katrina in the pub. Dear god, her moony eyes wouldn't make me fall in love. There is nothing there at all. Nothing.

Also, Crane says to Abbie something about how his destiny was to face Abraham now (as Headless). But dude, you already faced Abraham as headless in 1781, when you chopped his head off and he "killed" you. It was Abraham back then too? Did the show forget this (most likely yes).

And just as Abbie rolled her eye - no it's not destiny Crane, it's just bad luck and circumstance. This show really needs to figure out their mythology and world.

And show...show show, always shipper baiting. "I see myself clearly through your (Abbie's) eyes." Yes, we know. EVERYONE knows, except you, because you are still stuck and swooning over a useless weepy person. Abbie makes you a better person, idiot. It really should be a love spell over Ichabod, but the writers are clueless.

• Love 4

I liked this episode very much, except for Katrina.  I just want her to vamoose.

Thought it was funny when Crane pulled out Excalibur.  

Abraham is annoying.  Dude, she's NOT into you, deal with it and move on.  I can't deal with his mooning over Katrina, she's not all that.

• Love 6