Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Another option is a higher end consignment shop. I have bought many a Coach bag at my local shop… and also, an awesome Gucci bag, nearly new, for a stupid low price. I am *eying* a Louis bag… but even at my consignment shop it is a wee bit out of my price range…

We were on vacation last week and went to Dollywood.  We had a great time but had a moment when I thought of this community.  I went to a Gospel music show and the tenor was a 24 year old with a receding hairline and a J name.  He could have been a Duggar!  I mean he really looked like he was a cousin or something.  Cracked me up.  However, he was too talented to be an offspring of JB and M.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 12

@Scarlett45, thanks for sharing the Cosmo love. What a sweet face! I'm sorry about the fireworks. Years ago I had a wonderful chocolate Lab who was terrified by thunder and lightening and fireworks. Poor baby, she really got scared. 

Congrats on the weight loss, and happy shopping at the Nordstrom's sale. 

• Love 4

I’ve had my eye on the Sorrel wedge booties at the Nordstrom sale. I love a good wedge shoe. I usually get the Dr Dennis Gross alpha beta daily peel pads, but I still have a lot from the fall Sephora sale so I will skip them this year.

• Love 1
(edited)

I got joggers from Walmart. Very comfy like pajama pants. I’m only eying hey dude shoes. I really want a pair. Other than that I’m trying not to buy any more clothes. ( okay I want a few jackets and they are like $10 each so I might buy some). 

Free Assembly line from Walmart is pretty good/inexpensive. 

For weekend hang out clothes I don’t want to spend a lot of $. 

Now bras I have no problem spending $ on! 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

@Scarlett45, thanks for sharing the Cosmo love. What a sweet face! I'm sorry about the fireworks. Years ago I had a wonderful chocolate Lab who was terrified by thunder and lightening and fireworks. Poor baby, she really got scared. 

Congrats on the weight loss, and happy shopping at the Nordstrom's sale. 

Two of our labs had that problem in their last years. Thunder terrified them. Nothing you could say or do calmed them down. We tried that comfort vest, a pill from our vet, and turning our TVs as loud as they could go. Nothing worked. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had no idea about this Nordstrom sale. Guess I need to Google and research. Is it really worth it? 

The Nordstrom Anniversary sale is MY retail event of the YEAR!! New fall items at reduced prices!! It’s my time to stock up on shoes, bras, coats and skin care. In non pandemic times my Mom and I would make a day of shopping the preview sale for card holders with our shopper.

There’s not as much this year as years past- but one always needs face wash etc. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I got joggers from Walmart. Very comfy like pajama pants. I’m only eying hey dude shoes. I really want a pair. Other than that I’m trying not to buy any more clothes. ( okay I want a few jackets and they are like $10 each so I might buy some). 

Free Assembly line from Walmart is pretty good/inexpensive. 

For weekend hang out clothes I don’t want to spend a lot of $. 

Now bras I have no problem spending $ on! 

I love my Hey Dude shoes. I wear them all the time! I saw them on Claire Duggar, I think at her wedding. Did a little investigating and bought a light pink pair. Go for it @iwantcookies

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I love my Hey Dude shoes. I wear them all the time! I saw them on Claire Duggar, I think at her wedding. Did a little investigating and bought a light pink pair. Go for it @iwantcookies

Are they true to size? Narrow or wide? 

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had no idea about this Nordstrom sale. Guess I need to Google and research. Is it really worth it? 

It’s hit or miss for me. Like @Scarlett45, I use it buy bras and some beauty items I would purchase anyway. There are some brands that they reliably include in the anniversary sale, so I wait to see if things I use are on sale. This year I got a sweater, pants (which will likely be returned as I have a terrible time finding pants that fit right), a cozy throw blanket, and a cute cutting board/spatula set. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Thanks in advance!

I usually wear 9.5 but got a size 10. One of my feet is a bit wider and the size 10 is perfect, so more wide than narrow.

• Useful 3
10 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Thanks in advance!

I've got a pair of navy Hey Dudes.  They seem true to size.  Maybe a little bit wider than the average, but I think that is due to the style of the shoe.  Very comfortable.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Ok, I’m cranky today. It’s 90+ degrees, I have a very irritating and uncomfortable medical condition that is refusing to clear up (since the beginning of May) so I have to take some nasty medicine again, and I made pasta salad for lunch that has ingredients I like but somehow all together turned out terrible and I hate it. Plus the heat is giving me a headache and making me super sleepy so I’m completely useless at work (from home). I am this close to packing it in at work and shutting myself in my guest room for the rest of the day to watch a Finnish crime drama on Netflix (Deadwind, it’s pretty good). Thanks for letting me vent! 

• Love 4

IMG_0633.jpg.4669c9bc3332730a6ac7ff73ad41f47d.jpgThis is a picture of the sun this afternoon.  There are two wild fires in the mountains near me, and we have a lot of smoke here in the valley.

Lots of ash all over everything.  The lack of wind is probably good for the firefighters trying to contain the fire, but it is horrible for our air quality.  I'm now glad I bought a large house air filter when I moved here.  I'm also glad for my stack of masks.  I haven't heard on fire containment today, so I don't have any idea how long this will last.  At least the smoke makes the temperature about 15 degrees cooler than before the smoke (I'm trying to think of anything positive!)

1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

@CalicoKitty, I hope the firefighters are able to get the fires under control and that the weather conditions are favorable. And, that your air quality improves!

Thanks.  They are attacking the fire on the ground and from the air.  We could use some rain, but I'm guessing the fire was set by lightning from a thunder storm earlier in the week.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Fire season is gonna be UGLY out here in California this year. 😕

You mean you all haven’t learned to rake those forests yet? 🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
On 7/15/2021 at 12:54 PM, ozziemom said:

That is the sweetest looking dog, great smile! Congrats on the continuing weight loss too.

I have a brother Gordon, nicknamed Boo, so I’m not anti nickname, it just seems like Jessa is the only one calling Ivy “sis” so it feels fake.

I know a family whose father calls their daughter "Sissy" - makes my skin crawl.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, Mindthinkr said:

If you usually shop there, or somewhere with equivalent quality (and prices), it can be.  I generally go to Nordstrom Rack, although in recent years they are selling more and more stuff made specifically for The Rack, and the quality isn't as good - which pisses me off.

17 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Fire season is gonna be UGLY out here in California this year. 😕

And Oregon (it's already terrible and has started much earlier than historically - thank you global warming).

• Love 3

late Good News Sunday:   grandson went to church with us and felt really welcomed there. so many remembered him from his little days. later, we went to the movies for the first time in about 2 years. we saw marvels black widow with scar-jo. it was ok but it was just not my thing. 

• Love 9

You know, @Scarlett45 has been in the house TOO LONG when she gives her phone number to a strange man she meets in the park (he asked for it) on a walk without Cosmo because we spent 15  ish min talking after he commented on my Powerline shirt. 

He was cute- not my type but attractive. He looked like a more baby faced Michael Ealy. 

I’ll keep you all updated. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

You know, @Scarlett45 has been in the house TOO LONG when she gives her phone number to a strange man she meets in the park (he asked for it) on a walk without Cosmo because we spent 15  ish min talking after he commented on my Powerline shirt. 

He was cute- not my type but attractive. He looked like a more baby faced Michael Ealy. 

I’ll keep you all updated. 

Please be careful.  I certainly can relate to the attraction that can come from random meetings, but next time please take their number rather than giving out yours.  And if you do meet up, make it in a public place and in daylight.  (I'm sorry, I'm sure you know all this, but I have teen/early twenties children so my momma bear comes out easily.)

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

Please be careful.  I certainly can relate to the attraction that can come from random meetings, but next time please take their number rather than giving out yours.  And if you do meet up, make it in a public place and in daylight.  (I'm sorry, I'm sure you know all this, but I have teen/early twenties children so my momma bear comes out easily.)

You’re so sweet thank you. 

Yes we have each other’s numbers, and he called me so I would have is. I don’t quite follow the logic of taking his number but not giving mine (I have heard people suggest that)- if I call him he would have my number, and who answers blocked numbers? If I left a message he would have to have my number to call me back. 

Of course I will be careful- especially because this is my neighborhood. I am very risk averse. It was broad daylight and there were tons of people on the trail (families, kids playing baseball, other people exercising). 

6 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Oh my, good luck @Scarlett45. If you do see mr. park man again, be sure to meet him in a public place. My mama instincts are coming out! 

Yes of course. I have no desire to be chopped into a million little pieces (worst case) or filmed and the footage sold on the dark web (best case). 

You guys are so sweet to care about me! I feel special. 

• Love 11

Hi guys,

I've just been lurking lately because of the situation with the niece. The latest is that I got a continuance of the hearing for the permanent restraining order by preparing and filing it myself. A couple of days ago I got notice that the niece had aked for a three month continuance because she had an out of state court date on the new date. It makes me wonder if the out of state court date has anything to do with the fact that the original place she landed, Oregon, is the place where she moved in  with some random person and them got thrown out. On the other hand, it could have something to do with one of the jobs she was fired from. Of course, it could also be because she will be on the vacation my great niece said she wanted to take. Maybe she will use some of the thirty thousand dollars in cash she had in Colorado.

She did not get the three months but I now have until August 12th to figure out what to do. In  the request for the three month continuance she said she also needed the time to find an attorney to subpoena people from Louisiana. This tells us she doesn't already have an attorney and somehow got the temorary restraining order simply by going to the clerk of court and getting it issued based on whatever lies she could come up with. Apparently the temporary restraining order is just issued automatically and the hearing is where evidence is presented. Asking for a three month continuance keeps the restraining order in place without proving anything. It gives her the means to mess with us without proving we have done anything.

My sister doesn't have any  more money to pay for a lawyer for her and she isn't going to use her cash for this. Theoretically she can keep getting continuances without ever proving anything. She's not nearly as smart as she thinks she is and this gives me more time. I have already talked to most of the family lawyers in the area about the situation so they can't represent her because it would be a conflict of interest on their part. Hopefully this will cause her enough problems that she will drop the matter. If not, I have some weapons to use involving information about some things she has done that could result major legal problems for her. 

This has turned into such a shitshow that I have trouble believing it is actually happening.  I have been advised to ask the local police to do extra patrols of my home on the date she refused because the fact that she said she had an out of state court date may mean there is something going on in Louisiana and she could turn up there. I walk aroung worrying if I will suddenly see a crazy armed woman in front of me. Everyday I check our cars to see if she may have come in the night and caused damage. And, of course, my main concern is the safety of my great niece. It worries me every minute of every day.

Hugs and love, Janet

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

You’re so sweet thank you. 

Yes we have each other’s numbers, and he called me so I would have is. I don’t quite follow the logic of taking his number but not giving mine (I have heard people suggest that)- if I call him he would have my number, and who answers blocked numbers? If I left a message he would have to have my number to call me back. 

Of course I will be careful- especially because this is my neighborhood. I am very risk averse. It was broad daylight and there were tons of people on the trail (families, kids playing baseball, other people exercising). 

Yes of course. I have no desire to be chopped into a million little pieces (worst case) or filmed and the footage sold on the dark web (best case). 

You guys are so sweet to care about me! I feel special. 

Just saying that circumstances which bring out the Momma Bear in us when it comes to our friends can actually work out well.

I have a friend (that I actually met online originally) who, when she was in her early 60's, struck up an online friendship with a guy from Croatia who was 28. Quite shortly thereafter, he started telling her he was in love with her, and had broken up with his fiancée. He then invited her to visit him in Croatia, and, after giving the matter a lot of thought, and considering all the warnings from friends, decided to just go for it. She had been three times divorced, by the way, and had vowed never to get into another serious relationship again. Ten years, later, they have been married for eight years and still act like total lovebirds. She is happier than she has ever been, and he treats her like a queen.

So, yeah, be careful, but don't forget that there are also chances one can miss by being overly cautious. 

That being said, I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to take the chance she did.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Just saying that circumstances which bring out the Momma Bear in us when it comes to our friends can actually work out well.

I have a friend (that I actually met online originally) who, when she was in her early 60's, struck up an online friendship with a guy from Croatia who was 28. Quite shortly thereafter, he started telling her he was in love with her, and had broken up with his fiancée. He then invited her to visit him in Croatia, and, after giving the matter a lot of thought, and considering all the warnings from friends, decided to just go for it. She had been three times divorced, by the way, and had vowed never to get into another serious relationship again. Ten years, later, they have been married for eight years and still act like total lovebirds. She is happier than she has ever been, and he treats her like a queen.

So, yeah, be careful, but don't forget that there are also chances one can miss by being overly cautious. 

That being said, I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to take the chance she did.

How nice for your friend.

The last few years I have met all of my dates on apps, so meeting someone randomly in person first hasn't happened in a hot minute. (I have not been on an app since Feb 2020)

Trust I am not getting married. If he calls we may go to Starbucks and discuss the merits of Darkwing Duck vs Goof Troop vs Rescue Rangers. 😂

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I get hit on in Trader Joe’s of all places. You never know. 

Yeah that was a thing with me before the pandemic, but Whole Foods produced a better quality of guy than any of my other stores. One of the good things about the pandemic has been no more men (or a much smaller amount) going "hey........" and smiling at me. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, jjane said:

I have already talked to most of the family lawyers in the area about the situation so they can't represent her because it would be a conflict of interest on their part.

Unless you have given all of them retainers, this is not factual.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

If you call him, yes he will then have your number.  But it will have been your choice to make the call.

45 minutes ago, Leeds said:

If you call him, yes he will then have your number.  But it will have been your choice to make the call.

Ah I see. I promise I’m not trying to be obtuse (or a smart ass) but I don’t see the difference. At the end of the exchange we have each other’s numbers.

I gave him my number freely without coercion or just trying to be polite. I wanted him to have it. If you can debate the merits of Goof Troop vs Darkwing Duck vs Rescue Rangers you have proven yourself worthy🥰🤣🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
54 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Ah I see. I promise I’m not trying to be obtuse (or a smart ass) but I don’t see the difference. At the end of the exchange we have each other’s numbers.

I gave him my number freely without coercion or just trying to be polite. I wanted him to have it. If you can debate the merits of Goof Troop vs Darkwing Duck vs Rescue Rangers you have proven yourself worthy🥰🤣🤣🤣🤣

But did you discuss DuckTales?!

• LOL 4

Oh, @CalicoKitty - I wish you all the best as to the fire. I'm in Colorado, in the big middle of a big metro area, but our state frequently has some doozies of wildfires, and I feel for you. I hope the fire skips your nice new place and I'm glad you are prepared to get yourself and your cats to safety. 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

@CalicoKittyI hope you won’t have to evacuate, but if so, please go quickly & safely!

My car is packed with basics, and I have a small list of things to grab last minute.  The trick will be rounding up the cats.  They are so good at hiding when they suspect a car ride.  I truly hope that round-up will not be necessary.  Thank you.

• Love 10

Not here to argue, this situation is stressful enough. When asked, several attorneys did tell me that they would not be able to represent my niece due to having been told certain details about the situation by myself. These details would have possibly given my niece a heads up about our intentions with the custody case and also could have given her an advantage. As a paralegal, this is what we always go by at the firm I work for. We prefer to err on the side of caution.

• Love 3

@CalicoKitty First I’d like to offer my congratulations to your brother on his lifetime devotions being published. Please let us know the name of his book when it’s published. I really hope that you don’t have to evacuate and your home stays intact. I’m in awe of just how many and how big these wildfires are becoming. The world is changing fast and not for the better. Fires, floods and superstorms are becoming much too common. I’m glad you have a plan in place and I sincerely hope that you don’t have to put it into action. Stay safe. 

• Love 11