Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

We got two things successfully off Facebook.  One was early in the pandemic and Sweet Son saw an ad for a little box that allegedly sanitized things with UV light, such as phone, keys, masks and was foldable.  We were going on his bucket list trip to see Mt rushmore and he asked me to order it.  so I did.  It came fast and seems to function.  Whether it really kills germs is untested by us.

the other thing we got at the prompting of Sweet Son (we miss him so much, and, he was our "manager" so we are left to brave the world without his advice) was those shoes for Mr lookeyloo that one can put their foot into and the back collapses and comes back up. Those took a long time but, did come and they both liked them.  Haven't ordered anything else.

• Love 15
On 7/7/2021 at 4:01 AM, ChiCricket said:

Well, my 4th July was very good...until it turned just horrible.

My daughter's German Shepherd Nala bit my (chiuahua dog) Paloma so badly, that the emergency vet had to put her (Paloma) down.  She couldn't be saved.💔

OMgosh it still doesnt seem real😢

I can't stop thinking and crying over how horrible her wounds looked😭

And some of my grands saw it happen😭😭😭

My daughter's family all were staying at my house (with Nala) for a couple of week's visit.

Nala and Paloma always got along great  every time they visited.no problem at all.

But Sunday changed all of that.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my little dog bite her big dog first..and hard.

We don't know how it started though, we all missed that.

So perhaps Nala was really just defending herself.

(That thought does not help me though, tbh)

I feel SO f'ing GUILTY for not protecting my little dog better.💔😭

My daughter and I both saw it happening and couldn't stop it in time😭 

I don't think I'll ever have another pet...it hurts SO much.

I'm sorry I'm such a downer, but I don't think it's good to only let people see the sunshine and roses in your life...know what I mean? Besides, I need to talk to people who aren't my kids or grandkids...and that leaves you guys.💕

I just keep thinking of her little brown silky ears and waggly tail...and now she's completely gone😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

rps20210707_025407.jpg

rps20210707_025513.jpg

I’m so sorry 😢 

• Love 3

Good news Sunday.  I did not hit a deer.  I was about a block from church in a residential neighborhood, about a block from the main street (which is a highway).  I'm driving along the street, and a deer comes walking from someone's lawn and decides to go see what the house across the street has available to nibble.  It just stepped out into the street, and slowly walked across without a care in the world.  It just took it's time and didn't seem to care if anyone was there or not.  I know there are deer in the area, but I did not expect to see one in town near a very busy street.  I hope it found a good breakfast, but I'm guessing the homeowners feel differently.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6

@CalicoKitty - I'm glad you didn't hit the deer! A couple of Friday mornings ago I turned out of the driveway of our condo building, and hit heavy traffic a half block down the street. No collisions, thank goodness. But I did have to stop because a few of those pedestrians were actually sitting down in my lane of traffic as I drove up. They decided to move along, and were on their way before I could get a photo:

geesetraffic.thumb.jpg.7021604158a5c7af1ed6a0b37ebd8c9a.jpg

• LOL 8
  • Love 6

ChiCricket I am so sorry for your loss.

It was a good Sunday - actually a good weekend, though I didn't do much.  Did take the blinds down in the kitchen and washed them, ugh what a dirty job, but it was my fault, I should have had them down sooner for cleaning.  Mr Malotte had relented to my nagging/bitching/moaning about our basement and has probably cleared out at least the 70%  that was his junk to get rid of.  I'm actually proud of him.  He's got a bit more to go thru, and really I went thru my crap too and now only have three or four of the 25 quart Hefty containers with my stuff to save.  I told him to think of it this way - what did he want to leave for our child to go thru one day?  That worked big time, since he knows what I'm going to face when my male dna donor leaves the earth.  

Here's hoping we all have a calm and placid work week.

• Love 11
37 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Hey Guys,

It's been at least a year since I was here. Not sure why I dropped out.  Probably just overwhelmed with all of 2020 etc. 

I was thinking of all of you when Josh got arrested. Tonight I have some time to get back on here. 

I skimmed around a bit and see lots of familiar names! 

Hugs!

Welcome back!

• Love 6

Good news Sunday...I have lots of tomatoes growing.

I also am finally getting seedless green grapes growing from vines I planted years ago.

They said when I bought the vines (online) that it would take about 3 years to produce grapes...and that's what happened. I never thought it would really work.😁

Now, let's see if I get some of both before the squirrels, raccoons, and opossums get them first.🙄😊

rps20210712_022642.jpg

rps20210712_022349.jpg

• Love 20

@Marigold returning to the fold made good news for all of us yesterday! Otherwise I had just an ok Sunday. I skipped getting together for coffee with my IRL gal pals in favor of cleaning the bathrooms and getting the guest room ready for my granddaughters to visit. I also took a day off to rest my plantar fasciitis foot. I have been wearing my orthofeet shoes non-stop except for my walks. I ordered a pair of orthofeet gym shoes for walking, but they failed to arrive yesterday. Hopefully they will arrive today. My foot actually feels pretty good this morning, so I hope I'm on the mend. It never bothers me when I"m walking, but bothers me greatly after sitting. I have been icing it/rolling it on the foam roller etc. My husband had it a year ago and it healed completely after he changed shoes.

• Love 8

Welcome back, @Marigold!

We went out of town this weekend. We have had a lot of stressors this year...both having Covid, Mr Turquoise in ICU, my surgery canceled because Covid, moving (twice), both starting new jobs, me dealing with my ever-expanding tumor "pregnancy". Then we found out my dad has prostate cancer, and it's spread. Helping out my parents was one reason we moved back to the area, but I wasn't anticipating it being a few months after we got here. But fun fact...my dad and I have to be on the same shots to shrink our tumors before any other steps can be taken. Apparently we know how to grow big tumors. I have my first shot tomorrow morning, he starts at the end of the month. I didn't want any of this for him, but it's kind of nice we can compare notes. He said he felt the same way.
That was kind of a long-winded explanation of why we felt the need to get away a bit. We drove to Tunica with our dog. Mr Turquoise's grandparents had a store for many years in the original part of town. We found it, went by their house, went out to the cemetery and found their graves. He took me to the diner his grandpa used to take him to, and I had a fantastic piece of pie. We found a small country inn about half an hour away to stay, and we were the only guests this weekend. We took walks with our dog, took naps, took advantage of the soaking tub in our room,  and sat on their back patio by the pool at night and listened to the frogs and watched lightning bugs. Have a few mosquito bites to show for it (they adore me). It was nice to get a "reset", and fun to see some things through the eyes of my husband when he was a child. We got back yesterday afternoon.

• Love 17
On 7/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, Love2dance said:

I had an awful experience with a Facebook ad too. It was a company called Nora Cora and I WISH I had looked at their reviews before ordering. It was a $100 lesson, and even tho I was able to show proof that it was a fraud, and that I tried to send the rags back to China, Paypal would not refund the money. But I now know to read reviews on Trustpilot.com before ever buying from an unknown company. I hope this will save at least one of you from making the same mistake.

I ordered a couple of shirts from a similar ladies' clothing company in FB.  When they came, they were TINY, like child size tiny, even though I had used their size charts and measurements and had ordered extra large.

When I looked at the return policy, it was ridiculous.  First, they required the merchandise be mailed back to China at the buyer's expense.  THEN, if the problem with the clothing was a size issue, they actually wanted photos of the recipient wearing the clothing to prove it!  I couldn't have gotten either shirt over my head.  In the end, a couple of 6 year olds got brand new shirts at the Goodwill store because it would've cost more to send them back than I'd paid in the first place. I was out about 35-40 bucks.

Now, I only order from companies I've heard of, or from places that someone I know has used and liked.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Morning everybody.  Just hopping in to see what everybody's been up to.  I don't post often but love your page full of good people!

Chicriket So sad to read about the puppy that was bitten.  Sad,sad.

Turquoise So glad you got to go on a little memory lane weekend. Good for the soul.

I've been thinking about those on and off shoes for hubby but I'm afraid I'd order the wrong size.

Lots of rain in the Midwest.  Wish I could send it out west where they desperately need it.

Have a great week.

• Love 4

Oh gosh, the Facebook ad stories. But for my having a flash of common sense, I could probably have one of those stories myself. I fell for a FB ad for leggings with pockets in large women's sizes. Clicked on the ad, got to the website, even put something in my cart. But then I stopped. I think because they were pushing me to join their "club" or something. Anyway, before I went any further I asked my friend Google about the company. Google led me to a reddit post about the problems people had with that company and their products. Whew! I logged on to reddit (where I'm not a regular by any means) to thank the other posters for taking the time to discuss that company.

And . . . PayPal. I've heard nightmare tales about it. I've used it from way back, but I have *never* linked my "main" checking account to it. That way, if for any reason PayPal freezes my account, it won't impact my daily life and the account I use for my actual living expenses. The only checking account I've ever linked to PayPal, was a credit union account that had very little money in it. Actually, I joined that credit union for their free checking account, with the intention of using it as my PayPal-linked account. I kept not much money in it, so there would be little at risk if my PP account got hacked or frozen. Eventually that credit union started charging fees for its checking accounts, so I gave up that membership/account. I probably need to re-think my PP account, but at least right now it's not linked to any bank accounts. What a crazy world it is sometimes. Trying to keep a step ahead of the latest risks from crooks and such.

• Love 8

@Marigold, welcome back! So much going on in the Duggar world since you’ve been away. @Turquoise, that sounds like a lovely getaway!

This morning the HVAC company installed the indoor units of the mini-split air conditioning! They are the wall-mounted units that you sometimes see in hotels. My house has no ductwork (hot water baseboards for heat) so central air was not an option. I’m not crazy about the look but I think over time I will get used to them. Better than the heat! Unfortunately the outside heat pump has not arrived yet, so who knows when the installation will be complete and I can use them. Fingers crossed that it arrives soon and that we don’t have any really hot days in the meantime.

• Love 8

Ah yes the scam facebook ad.  I only got caught once, when I ordered an item and they shipped the wrong thing, and then it was months of back and forth about them claiming the right item would be sent "soon" and then missing the promised date.  Once they refused in writing to issue a refund for the item they failed to ship, I was able to supply that to Amex and get the refund that way.

Some of my less tech savvy friends still tag me in different ads thinking I would like the product.  But I've gotten very good at figuring out which ones are scams now that I can recognize the most likely tells (bad google translate style english, where FB thinks the owner of the page resides, where their webpage domain is registered, how long ago the domain was registered, who the registered agent is in their terms and conditions, returns policy, that kind of thing).  And I default to the philosophy of when in doubt, shop elsewhere. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 4

@Marigold, welcome back! @Turquoise, your getaway sounded so good. Glad you could do it.

Over in the Sweet Fellowship topic I replied to a comparison of JillR to a drag queen (which though probably not intended as such is really an insult to drag queens, lol). That got me thinking of a movie I recently watched. It's streaming on Discovery+ - P.S. Burn This Letter Please. It's a documentary sparked by the discovery of letters to and from men in NYC in the 1950's. They were young and involved in the NYC drag community. In a time where that would get you put in jail. It was so good that I was unexpectedly riveted - after clicking on it when idly surfing around - and had to watch to the end. By which time I might have shed a few tears. Just saying. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I woke up this morning to two cousins fighting on FB about Anthony Rizzo (Cubs' first baseman) choosing not to be vaccinated against Covid. They're both my cousins, but from different sides of the family on different sides of the issue on my Mom's FB page. I'm staying out of this one, but I might make some popcorn!

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

@Marigold, welcome back! @Turquoise, your getaway sounded so good. Glad you could do it.

Over in the Sweet Fellowship topic I replied to a comparison of JillR to a drag queen (which though probably not intended as such is really an insult to drag queens, lol). That got me thinking of a movie I recently watched. It's streaming on Discovery+ - P.S. Burn This Letter Please. It's a documentary sparked by the discovery of letters to and from men in NYC in the 1950's. They were young and involved in the NYC drag community. In a time where that would get you put in jail. It was so good that I was unexpectedly riveted - after clicking on it when idly surfing around - and had to watch to the end. By which time I might have shed a few tears. Just saying. 

Looks like a great film. I may rent it this weekend on YouTube. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

You may recall my previous posts about an escaped venomous cobra that was on the loose from a pet owner last week in a Raleigh neighborhood. ( It was safely captured by city officials with experts.) It was discovered the snake had actually escaped in November 2020, without the owner reporting it! 😱 Yes, owner has been charged with a boatload of violations and most of his snakes removed.

Anyway, since then, there is a bear up a tree at a main hospital located in the city!  And, nearby, 4 escaped wolf hybrids that have escaped from a shelter that are being sought. Apparently, rabies vaccines aren’t effective on wolves.....

https://abc11.com/bear-stuck-in-tree-rex-hospital-at/10883936/

There has to be a movie or special in this.......lol.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

You may recall my previous posts about an escaped venomous cobra that was on the loose from a pet owner last week in a Raleigh neighborhood. ( It was safely captured by city officials with experts.  It discovered the snake had actually escaped in November 2020, without the owner reporting it! 😱 Yes, owner has been charged with a boatload of violations and most .  

Anyway, since then, there is a bear up a tree at a main hospital located in the city!  And, nearby, 4 escaped wolf hybrids that have escaped from a shelter that are being sought. Apparently, rabies vaccines aren’t effective on wolves.....

https://abc11.com/bear-stuck-in-tree-rex-hospital-at/10883936/

There has to be a movie or special in this.......lol.

Someone seems to have parked Noah's Demented Ark in central NC and opened the doors.  I don't even want to speculate on what is next!

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peppergal said:

Someone seems to have parked Noah's Demented Ark in central NC and opened the doors.  I don't even want to speculate on what is next!

That’s pretty funny...in a way. I am starting to feel a little uneasy about it.  

• Love 6
17 hours ago, peppergal said:

I'm in Central NC as well and am a bit worried too :-(

• Love 3
5 hours ago, skipnjump said:

I'm in Central NC as well and am a bit worried too :-(

I saw a news story that the man who owned the wolf hybrids got sick and wasn’t caring for them. Hunger forced them to escape their enclosure and that’s why they are on the loose. 😞 His county has an ordinance forbidding ownership, so he may be fined.  

I’m enjoying seeing the deer and rabbits in my backyard on Friday evenings.  For some reason, that seems to be their appearance time. So far, no bear, snakes or wolf hybrids spotted.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Omg!  I’m a happy camper today. I was looking for a birthday card to give my SIL when I found a birthday card from my parents to me, that I  had tucked away in a drawer ......inside was $100.00!  😻

that is a great 'win'!!!!

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I like to set cash back for a rainy day.  I have an idea of what I’m going to do.  

Wanna share? 🙂

(The idea, not the $$. LOL)

Edited by Love2dance
  • LOL 7
19 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

My BFF is the oldest of 4 sisters and everyone in her family including brothers in law and nieces and nephews all call her “Sister”.  And they are all educated and employed (except the younger ones who are in school)

Brought over from the Jessa thread.

My family is from Alabama.  Most of my dad's side still lives there.  He has a sister who they all call Sister.  And all my cousins call her "Auntie Sister."  My siblings and I (who live in Michigan) call her Auntie "First Name."  

Now, I'm on a roll.  My dad was called "Boy" by his family until the day he died at age 66!  😀  And my southern cousins called him Uncle Boy. Nicknames are funny.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

My family is from Alabama.  Most of my dad's side still lives there.  He has a sister who they all call Sister.  And all my cousins call her "Auntie Sister."  My siblings and I (who live in Michigan) call her Auntie "First Name."  

Now, I'm on a roll.  My dad was called "Boy" by his family until the day he died at age 66!  😀  And my southern cousins called him Uncle Boy. Nicknames are funny.

They are. I'm originally from Oklahoma, with Southern roots. I'm in my 70's and my slightly older cousin is "Bud." Known to everyone as Bud. I was working on a family tree a few years ago and had to look up his actual name. 🤣

• LOL 7
(edited)

One of my friends has a small cross over purse, that I really like. I’m considering one of those. I’m more of a large bag person, normally, because I carry so much stuff, including diabetic supplies, sanitizer, phone, etc.  However, I’m contemplating a new pump and CGM, that requires no calibrations!  So, I wouldn’t need to carry a meter with me. ( My current CGM is finicky and requires calibrations.) I think I can manage with less stuff. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 11

I had an Apache friend who was always talking about  "Uncle Brother".  There may have been an "Aunt Sister", though I'm not sure.  But she and Uncle Brother were always going places, like the casino, together.  I was never sure if he was actually her brother or uncle, but I do know they were related in some way.  Apparently, this terminology is more common than I thought.

• Love 7

My dad has been called Bud his whole life. I'm sure there are many people, including family members who don't know his real first name. It's very unusual and the only three people I know who have had that name is my grandfather, the farmhand he was named for, and my dad. Oh, and my nephew has his name as a middle name.

• Love 4

My grandma used to call all of her granddaughters Sis or Sister sometimes, and heard it used by others in my family and outside my family. I’m from the Midwest, so it’s not limited to the South (I heard it there too). Speaking of nicknames, I have an uncle Corky, and I have absolutely no idea what his actual given name is. (Wait, is it actually Corky? I think that’s even weirder.) 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I have an uncle Corky, and I have absolutely no idea what his actual given name is. (Wait, is it actually Corky? I think that’s even weirder.) 

I have a cousin Corky- legal name Charles. 

Is anyone looking forward to the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale? I am getting some skin care and house slippers for a friend. Oh and Zella leggings cause they are very good at sucking in all the business 😀. But I want to wait perhaps another year before I buy more clothes. I had a "return to the office" day, and I wore some summer work pants- well I have lost so much weight my tab/button didn't let me know I had enough of the Chicago Style pizza provided by management and I was FULL. So I know those pants wont fit next summer. The tops of my bra (where the cup meets the strap) has a bit of a gap but thats it, so I am not going to replace my bras yet.

I thought I would share a photo of the Giant Blond baby man. 

55BA850C-F33B-4F7C-9905-23B6689DC2B9.jpeg

• Love 23
28 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Is anyone looking forward to the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale? I am getting some skin care and house slippers for a friend. Oh and Zella leggings cause they are very good at sucking in all the business 😀. But I want to wait perhaps another year before I buy more clothes. I had a "return to the office" day, and I wore some summer work pants- well I have lost so much weight my tab/button didn't let me know I had enough of the Chicago Style pizza provided by management and I was FULL. So I know those pants wont fit next summer. The tops of my bra (where the cup meets the strap) has a bit of a gap but thats it, so I am not going to replace my bras yet.

Oh he's a good boy, yes he is.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

😀

That is the sweetest looking dog, great smile! Congrats on the continuing weight loss too.

I have a brother Gordon, nicknamed Boo, so I’m not anti nickname, it just seems like Jessa is the only one calling Ivy “sis” so it feels fake.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Love those ears!  Did Giant Blond baby man get over the fireworks trauma?  He looks very happy.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

My Nordstrom wishlist for this sale is skincare and bras.  I love the Paula's Choice BHA liquid and plan on picking up the big bottle.  My wardrobe is at the point where I do not have any pressing need.  I am trying to resist any other clothing purchases, but you have me intrigued with those leggings.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Love those ears!  Did Giant Blond baby man get over the fireworks trauma?  He looks very happy.

He did. But he still doesn't like evening walks these days. He has his last potty break around 6 or 7pm and is good until the next morning. No longer wants to go out at night.

14 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My Nordstrom wishlist for this sale is skincare and bras.  I love the Paula's Choice BHA liquid and plan on picking up the big bottle.  My wardrobe is at the point where I do not have any pressing need.  I am trying to resist any other clothing purchases, but you have me intrigued with those leggings.

@Ohiopirate02 these leggings- they are SOLID and have two layers which are great for winter, this Jan/Feb I wore them all the time walking Cosmo. Not a touch of cellulite or bump/lump shows through. When traveling happens again they will be my airport leggings because they wont show stains, comfortable and appropriate (as in not see through). These will be my 3rd pair. The first pair I paid full price for (mistake), but they have lasted several years. For skin care I am getting the benefit mascara set and the fresh face wash set.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m thinking about getting a new handbag.  I’m getting out more now.  A new one would be a nice. 

If you have a Coach outlet near you… you can get something wonderful and that will last a while! 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Westiepeach said:

If you have a Coach outlet near you… you can get something wonderful and that will last a while! 

I also really like the Kate Spade outlet. GREAT stuff- not the stuff no one wanted to buy when it was in regular stores, but cute stuff.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, CouchTater said:

When my parents and I talk about my brother we call him boy 🤣. When I speak to him I call him Bubby, and my child calls him Uncle Bubby. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

He's so cute!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

not the stuff no one wanted to buy when it was in regular stores, but cute stuff.

That's because it wasn't in the regular store, it was made for the outlets.  There is a real difference in quality. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I also really like the Kate Spade outlet. GREAT stuff- not the stuff no one wanted to buy when it was in regular stores, but cute stuff.

There is an outlet mall in an adjoining county. I’ll have to check it out.  ..............yes, there is one with Spade and Coach!

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4