Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Honeycocoa

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Recommended Posts


They are finally getting some containment on our fire.  I have heard that they are hoping to get it under control by the end of August.  I don't think it will be totally out until the first snowfall, however.  The fire fighters are doing an amazing job.  So far, I have only heard about 8 structures lost, which is amazing.  The air quality here is in the dangerous zone, and people are encouraged to stay inside.  It is overcast, and looks like a dreary winter day---except it is really smoke in the air, and it is in the 90's.  We are getting thunder and some rain in the afternoons this week.  Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy, so it will be interesting.  I hope there is not enough rain for flooding.  I am glad I bought a large air purifier.  It is coming in very handy.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/24/2021 at 2:38 PM, Cinnabon said:

Lots of screaming and preening for the cameras.

I always cheer for the flagbearer from the South Pacific island of Tonga👏🏻

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

There are not that many Joshua Duggar’s. I thought there would be a lot more.

https://www.whitepages.com/name/Joshua-Duggar?fs=1&searchedName=Joshua Duggar&searchedLocation=

  This made me curious, so I looked up Josh Duggar on various ancestry sites, and didn't find many at all spelled Duggar (with Josh or Joshua as the first name.)

I also found this, which *I*  found interesting (I love ancestry stuff)😁

 

Screenshot_20210728-012845.jpg

  • Useful 8

Share this post


Link to post

@CalicoKitty, we got some of the smoke from the fires all the way on the east coast. We had air quality warnings, haze, and the most vibrant orange sunset this weekend. I can’t imagine what it must look like where you are. 

  • Like 5
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Hi, friends!  I have a quick question:  Where’s Doodlebug?  She used to be quite active on this forum, but I never see her comments anymore, and I’m just wondering… Is she okay?

I just sent you a PM on this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm wondering the same thing. I find Dr. Mike's YouTube videos helpful and informative. Here's one from July 9, from which my takeaway is that Pfizer's releasing information on the issue and Moderna's not saying much publicly yet. He talks about Moderna at about the 5:00 point. I wouldn't be surprised if a booster shot is in my future.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t mind getting a third shot, if it’s helpful.  I want them to let me know NOW, so I can get it and avoid trouble.  There are vials of vaccine on the shelves…..I’ll take another one right now, if it’ll help protect against a variant.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I just sent you a PM on this.

Can you PM me as well?  I have been wondering!

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

  This made me curious, so I looked up Josh Duggar on various ancestry sites, and didn't find many at all spelled Duggar (with Josh or Joshua as the first name.)

I also found this, which *I*  found interesting (I love ancestry stuff)😁

 

Screenshot_20210728-012845.jpg

Jim Bob is resurrecting the name Duggar in USA!

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

 

2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I'm wondering the same thing. I find Dr. Mike's YouTube videos helpful and informative. Here's one from July 9, from which my takeaway is that Pfizer's releasing information on the issue and Moderna's not saying much publicly yet. He talks about Moderna at about the 5:00 point. I wouldn't be surprised if a booster shot is in my future.  

 

I'd be more than happy to get a booster shot. I also have no issue wearing a mask while out in public. I was already planning on masking while at Universal Studios Orlando, especially for the indoor queues. My hope is that if they do announce a booster, it includes the "pediatric" cohort of 12-16 year olds as well. She'll be attending school here in TX where cases are definitely on the rise and policies are in place to make it difficult to curb. (I'm actually more concerned that she won't be allowed to wear her mask at school. She was already planning on it and I am probably hoping against hope it won't be a problem) I would like her to get the booster should it become available. 

  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Hi, friends!  I have a quick question:  Where’s Doodlebug?  She used to be quite active on this forum, but I never see her comments anymore, and I’m just wondering… Is she okay?

I've been wondering too! While not an active participant, I've been "lurking" since TWOP days and notice when people disappear! 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don’t mind getting a third shot, if it’s helpful.  I want them to let me know NOW, so I can get it and avoid trouble.  There are vials of vaccine on the shelves…..I’ll take another one right now, if it’ll help protect against a variant.  

Me too. I’ll be first in line!

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

My friend is still in ICU and in a coma.  Just updating for those who sent well wishes.  Still waiting for better news.  Thanks. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 19

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My friend is still in ICU and in a coma.  Just updating for those who sent well wishes.  Still waiting for better news.  Thanks. 

I am sending prayers for your friend. I am so sorry.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

My friend is still in ICU and in a coma.  Just updating for those who sent well wishes.  Still waiting for better news.  Thanks. 

If your friend was "cooled" after the cardiac arrest (the formal name is targeted temperature management), the process takes roughly 3 days.  He stays cool for 24 hours, is very slowly rewarmed, and then kept strictly at optimal body temperature for 24 hours before they will let him fully wake up.  Fever is bad for the brain which is what the cooling process is trying to protect.  Best practice says that no prognostication should happen before the 72 hours are over.

  • Useful 16

Share this post


Link to post

About 19 years ago when I  was 53 I was placed in a medically induced coma for almost 3 weeks.  I was diagnosed with myocarditus but now my current cardiologist says it was a stress heart attack.  I was also on a ventilator and had a heart pump.   I always say I had the easiest time of my whole family.  I remember nothing  except after I woke up and my husband was laughing at me trying to eat fruit salad because my coordination was bad and the grapes were wily in their escape efforts..  I was in the hospital for about a week more.  I had some memory issues while in the hospital but recovered quickly.  In the hospital I walked with a walker but didn't need one at home.  I walked a lot in the hospital hallway past  the nurses because I  really wanted to go home since I didn't like my new roommate. I have permanent heart damage but I am still in a low normal range.  I measured my physical recovery by how much of Costco I could walk without having to sit down.  In the years since I  have had some other medical problems but I  worked part-time for about 10 years and have also done some volunteer work.

 

 

  • Like 14
  • Useful 7

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for that info Bewitched.  That helps put it somewhat in perspective.  All I really know is that it happened on July 23…so…….my prayers are with him.  
 

Thosme, I appreciate you sharing your story.  It sounds like a miracle.  I sure am glad that you recovered so well!🙂  I hope my friend recovers as well.  He’ll have some changes in the future.  He is an attorney and it’s very stressful.  Not long ago, he and I chatted on the phone about life being too short, stop and smell the roses, practicing law is stressful, etc.  of course, I don’t know what caused his attack.  

  • Sad 10

Share this post


Link to post

@SunnyBeBe, I'm holding hope for a good outcome for your friend.

Your comment about law practice, stress, and enjoying life resonated with me. I hope your friend recovers and figures out a life for himself that is good for his physical, mental, and emotional health. 

I've mentioned here that for the last few months I've been busy as the executor of the estate of a longtime friend who died early this year. Things are going well, but holy smokes, I am being slammed by junk mail.

I learned not long before she died, that my friend donated to many different causes - charitable and political.  So she was on SO many mailing lists that the amount of mail she got every day was astonishing. After she died I put in a change of address with the Postal Service so her mail would come to me. And sure enough, "she" is getting a slew of solicitations for donations, all coming to MY mailbox. I'd managed to get my own snail mail reduced to a trickle and now I'm hit with all this. Urgh.

I have tracked it - and I have dealt with at least 300 of those mailings since April! (Of course some are multiple mailings from a single organization.)

I've adopted a multi-pronged approach, and can only hope that in another couple of months I will see the junk mail reduced. I found a website devoted to stopping junk mail, which includes this page: https://drowndinginmail.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/how-to-stop-mail-for-a-deceased-person/. I've created a sheet of Avery labels which say in bold red font "[Name] died on [date]. Remove her from your mailing lists." I stick one on the reply coupon and mail it back to the organization in the reply envelope.

Also, I got the PaperKarma phone app, and paid the $25 for a year's membership. I've been using it to send unsubscribe requests to all the mailers including catalogs. We'll see.

Here's a short recap of what I've been doing, not necessarily the third one for each organization:

  • Send unsubscribe request via Paper Karma app; and
  • Stick the "she's died" label on the reply coupon and send it in. 
  • Locate snail or email address and send a specific request to remove her from their mailing lists by snail mail or email.

Interesting fact. After I submitted the change of address notice to the Postal Service, it was a matter of a week or two, before my late friend was getting mailings addressed to her at this address. IOW, those lists got updated almost instantly with this new address. OTOH when I've received replies to my specific unsubscribe requests, they've politely told me that they have mailing campaigns already in the works so it will be several weeks before all mail actually stops being sent.

So, yeah. They can update your address on the list in the blink of an eye. But it takes MONTHS to remove your name from the list entirely. Sure, Jan.

  • Like 11
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My friend is still in ICU and in a coma.  Just updating for those who sent well wishes.  Still waiting for better news.  Thanks. 

My pastor was in the medically induced coma for about 4 days before they started to bring him out, so don't let that discourage you. He was in the ICU for a little more than two weeks.  Your friend is in my prayers.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@SunnyBeBe, I'm holding hope for a good outcome for your friend.

Your comment about law practice, stress, and enjoying life resonated with me. I hope your friend recovers and figures out a life for himself that is good for his physical, mental, and emotional health. 

I've mentioned here that for the last few months I've been busy as the executor of the estate of a longtime friend who died early this year. Things are going well, but holy smokes, I am being slammed by junk mail.

I learned not long before she died, that my friend donated to many different causes - charitable and political.  So she was on SO many mailing lists that the amount of mail she got every day was astonishing. After she died I put in a change of address with the Postal Service so her mail would come to me. And sure enough, "she" is getting a slew of solicitations for donations, all coming to MY mailbox. I'd managed to get my own snail mail reduced to a trickle and now I'm hit with all this. Urgh.

I have tracked it - and I have dealt with at least 300 of those mailings since April! (Of course some are multiple mailings from a single organization.)

I've adopted a multi-pronged approach, and can only hope that in another couple of months I will see the junk mail reduced. I found a website devoted to stopping junk mail, which includes this page: https://drowndinginmail.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/how-to-stop-mail-for-a-deceased-person/. I've created a sheet of Avery labels which say in bold red font "[Name] died on [date]. Remove her from your mailing lists." I stick one on the reply coupon and mail it back to the organization in the reply envelope.

Also, I got the PaperKarma phone app, and paid the $25 for a year's membership. I've been using it to send unsubscribe requests to all the mailers including catalogs. We'll see.

Here's a short recap of what I've been doing, not necessarily the third one for each organization:

  • Send unsubscribe request via Paper Karma app; and
  • Stick the "she's died" label on the reply coupon and send it in. 
  • Locate snail or email address and send a specific request to remove her from their mailing lists by snail mail or email.

Interesting fact. After I submitted the change of address notice to the Postal Service, it was a matter of a week or two, before my late friend was getting mailings addressed to her at this address. IOW, those lists got updated almost instantly with this new address. OTOH when I've received replies to my specific unsubscribe requests, they've politely told me that they have mailing campaigns already in the works so it will be several weeks before all mail actually stops being sent.

So, yeah. They can update your address on the list in the blink of an eye. But it takes MONTHS to remove your name from the list entirely. Sure, Jan.

@Jeeves, I have had a terrible time getting solicitations to my mother stopped. Like you, they quickly changed her address to mine, but are SLOW to remove her from their lists. I remember telling someone from AARP,  , "You are wasting YOUR money and my time and I  have had it".  This was after I had written in big red letters all over the reply coupon: DECEASED! DEAD! NO MORE MONEY FOR YOU,  etc.  It is so frustrating.  

  • Like 8
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

@Jeeves, I have had a terrible time getting solicitations to my mother stopped. Like you, they quickly changed her address to mine, but are SLOW to remove her from their lists. I remember telling someone from AARP,  , "You are wasting YOUR money and my time and I  have had it".  This was after I had written in big red letters all over the reply coupon: DECEASED! DEAD! NO MORE MONEY FOR YOU,  etc.  It is so frustrating.  

Yes, it is frustrating! It's really galling that AARP would be so ornery. You'd think they'd be prepared to deal with their members dying, given that you have to be 50 to even join. OY!!

I've started some sleuthing with some of the  nonprofits. Many of them put required legal notices on the back of their return envelopes or donation forms. I check the address of the organization stated in that notice, against the address on the return envelope. Often they are different: the envelope will be sent to a processing office and not the organization's HQ. In those cases I suspect the processing may be done by a contracted company, who may just discard and ignore anything that's not a donation. If I have time, I try to contact the organization's HQ or main office in addition to sending the donation form with the "she's deceased" sticker using the reply envelope. Since we now have dealt with most of the estate's property, I have more time to battle the junk mailers, LOL!

I hope you finally get the mail to your mother stopped. I have this awful fear that I'll get some junk mail at this address for my friend for YEARS to come. Ugh!!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post

I hate to tell you that you will, but it will decrease.  I received two pieces for my deceased husband last month.  He's been gone 20 years.  I don't bother responding to the people any more.  I just toss them in the recycle bin.  

  • Useful 1
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/27/2021 at 4:30 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know of anyone who was placed in medically induced  coma after a heart attack?  

My brother, at age 56. Coma for 8 days. He had a tough time when he came to, stayed hospitalized for an additional 6 weeks. He had to re-learn everything from swallowing to walking. Then outpatient rehab for a few months. He has an implanted defibrillator now, but three years later is almost completely recovered (just some short-term memory problems). He was healthy, thin, active... no one knows why it happened. 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

@SunnyBeBe I hope everyone’s inputs on their coma experiences help to put you mind at ease. Make sure that you take care of yourself and find ways to decrease your stress levels so that you remain healthy. I will continue to keep your friend in my prayers. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Skatelady and MIndthinkr, I appreciate those words.  It does help.  I’ll make myself available, if he needs support and help during his recovery.  He has a brother and many friends.  Someone has started a Go fund me account to help with his medical costs.   I think the legal community will be there for him.   If you recall Raleigh lost a wonderful attorney, age 69,  last summer when he was hit and killed by a car in a crosswalk leaving court.  He was a beloved man, dear friend and we are still reeling from that.  
 

Yep, I have to make some changes in my life.  I have a real estate license  to fall back on, but….idk.  That’s stressful too.  I will make changes by the end and of 2021.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

My car was at my daughter’s house. Yesterday they had a bad storm roll through.  The wind tossed an anchored and cemented in Basketball hoop and stand, up over my car and left some deep scratches and dents on the opposite side. All I really cared about was that the family all safe. Now just the hassle of an insurance claim. (I’m on hold waiting for an agent) 
 
Jump to I was just chatting with the agent and her power goes out, then the generator kicked in, she began seeing hail outside her window and heavy wind. Then a tornado warning was issued and she had to hang up! We didn’t have time to finish the claim. Weird. 

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 18
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

My car was at my daughter’s house. Yesterday they had a bad storm roll through.  The wind tossed an anchored and cemented in Basketball hoop and stand, up over my car and left some deep scratches and dents on the opposite side. All I really cared about was that the family all safe. Now just the hassle of an insurance claim. (I’m on hold waiting for an agent) 
 
Jump to I was just chatting with the agent and her power goes out, then the generator kicked in, she began seeing hail outside her window and heavy wind. Then a tornado warning was issued and she had to hang up! We didn’t have time to finish the claim. Weird. 

Happy to hear your family is safe.

 

We had a tornado warning today in PA, which expired at 4p. We got a lot of rain, no real wind. I haven’t ventured out to know about the surrounding areas yet. I made some phone calls, to check on some people.  I seem to be in some sort of pocket this year as far as avoiding bad weather that has hit close by.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Update on my antics with Park Guy- we are going to have a coffee on Monday after my work day is over. I cannot wait to hear about this "amazing opportunity" he has for me. I was FaceTiming with my friend last night and it seems like I have been sleeping under a rock because this "amazing opportunity" line has been out there the last few years. 

 

We are going to a coffee house near by, but not one I normally go to, because I don't want to travel that far but I don't want to do something in my normal routine.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Update on my antics with Park Guy- we are going to have a coffee on Monday after my work day is over. I cannot wait to hear about this "amazing opportunity" he has for me. I was FaceTiming with my friend last night and it seems like I have been sleeping under a rock because this "amazing opportunity" line has been out there the last few years. 

 

We are going to a coffee house near by, but not one I normally go to, because I don't want to travel that far but I don't want to do something in my normal routine.

Omg. I was thinking Plexus! 
I’m intrigued. No really, I’m wishing you the best of luck and I can’t wait to hear about it! 

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Where is Plexus??? 
 

haha

42 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

MLMS were  being discussed elsewhere. 

3a9761b6-top-25-mlms-by-revenue-7_tm.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Update on my antics with Park Guy- we are going to have a coffee on Monday after my work day is over. I cannot wait to hear about this "amazing opportunity" he has for me. I was FaceTiming with my friend last night and it seems like I have been sleeping under a rock because this "amazing opportunity" line has been out there the last few years. 

 

We are going to a coffee house near by, but not one I normally go to, because I don't want to travel that far but I don't want to do something in my normal routine.

He might try the green card marriage conversation. I got asked by 3 guys so far. Haha

Keep us posted !

Maybe he is a prince. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

He might try the green card marriage conversation. I got asked by 3 guys so far. Haha

Keep us posted !

Maybe he is a prince. 

I will. We are heading to Starbucks 7pm on Tuesday, I chose one close by but not the one I normally go to. That’s late for me but I’ll have something not caffeinated. 

  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Cannot WAIT to hear about your coffee date, @Scarlett45!
 

 

Thanks so much! Life has been BORING this last year and a half, I have to find entertainment when I can. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/28/2021 at 10:27 AM, HooHooHoo said:

Can you PM me as well?  I have been wondering!

Yes! I miss her posts so much! She was always so informative and extremely helpful!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Madtown said:

Yes! I miss her posts so much! She was always so informative and extremely helpful!

If someone could DM me about Doodlebug it will be much appreciated. I really miss her wisdom.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know where Doodlebug might be, but I know a few people were wondering about Happy Fat Chick a little while back. She seemed to be absent on Facebook as well for a couple of months, but I did eventually message her to see how she was doing, and it's just been a really busy time for her lately, but she's fine. Hopefully the same is true for Doodlebug. I miss her as well.

  • Like 9
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't know where Doodlebug might be, but I know a few people were wondering about Happy Fat Chick a little while back. She seemed to be absent on Facebook as well for a couple of months, but I did eventually message her to see how she was doing, and it's just been a really busy time for her lately, but she's fine. Hopefully the same is true for Doodlebug. I miss her as well.

I thought HFC was going on an extended road trip/ vacation? I missed her but didn't think much of her not posting because I thought she was running the roads and having fun.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't know where Doodlebug might be, but I know a few people were wondering about Happy Fat Chick a little while back. She seemed to be absent on Facebook as well for a couple of months, but I did eventually message her to see how she was doing, and it's just been a really busy time for her lately, but she's fine. Hopefully the same is true for Doodlebug. I miss her as well.

I sort of figured that Doodlebug is now Root beer.

  • Like 11
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't know where Doodlebug might be, but I know a few people were wondering about Happy Fat Chick a little while back. She seemed to be absent on Facebook as well for a couple of months, but I did eventually message her to see how she was doing, and it's just been a really busy time for her lately, but she's fine. Hopefully the same is true for Doodlebug. I miss her as well.

That is reassuring about Happyfatchick. I hope Doodlebug is ok, too. I usually feel like members who drop out deserve their privacy. But then, it also feels like I have lost a friend, but don’t know why. Sigh.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

My Sunday good news is that I'm going to see my women friends for a good old-fashioned visit today. We are all vaxxed and will be outdoors.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

My good news Sunday  is I bought a ticket to a concert for October. First post COVID show. 

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, zenme said:

My good news is we’re expecting grandbaby #2! 

Hooray for you 🎊

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size