Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@Nysha  Sorry I didn’t do this sooner, but last night I posted on fb asking my friends to pm me if they had family or friends in Montana. So far, one friend messaged me that her sister lives in Helena. I sent my friend the link to the news article about the pickup truck. Her sister is going to share it with anyone she knows in Billings. Hopefully, those people will then share it.  I know another friend’s sister used to live in Montana, so hopefully I will hear from her soon also. I live in the Midwest, so this is the only thing I could think to do to try to help. 

• Love 12
5 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Anyone going to see Halloween 2018.

i want to but I’m scared lol.

I want to go but I admit I don't want to go by myself and normally I don't mind going by myself to a movie.   But I can't find anyone to go with me.  

10 hours ago, EVS said:

@Nysha  Sorry I didn’t do this sooner, but last night I posted on fb asking my friends to pm me if they had family or friends in Montana. So far, one friend messaged me that her sister lives in Helena. I sent my friend the link to the news article about the pickup truck. Her sister is going to share it with anyone she knows in Billings. Hopefully, those people will then share it.  I know another friend’s sister used to live in Montana, so hopefully I will hear from her soon also. I live in the Midwest, so this is the only thing I could think to do to try to help. 

Thank you, @EVS . The more people who share, the more likely someone with concrete information will come forward and we will know the truth.

• Love 4

So, I came home from my (cold) trip to Iowa, and I did indeed open the Instant Pot box.  I read all the directions carefully, and today I made mac and cheese with gluten-free pasta.  It was so simple!  Then I made corned beef and cabbage.  I was so surprised that the cabbage was not greasy like it is when I cook it on the stove top.  I think I'm going to like this Insta Pot thing.  It really is easy cooking and easy cleanup.  After I finish the corned beef and vegetables, I may try a small roast.  I also made (for the first time) baked oatmeal in my countertop oven.  That came out very good, too.  Today's cooking efforts should last me a week!

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I want to go but I admit I don't want to go by myself and normally I don't mind going by myself to a movie.   But I can't find anyone to go with me.  

Same for me. I saw it by myself too. No one wanted to see it with me either 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

So, I came home from my (cold) trip to Iowa, and I did indeed open the Instant Pot box.  I read all the directions carefully, and today I made mac and cheese with gluten-free pasta.  It was so simple!  Then I made corned beef and cabbage.  I was so surprised that the cabbage was not greasy like it is when I cook it on the stove top.  I think I'm going to like this Insta Pot thing.  It really is easy cooking and easy cleanup.  After I finish the corned beef and vegetables, I may try a small roast.  I also made (for the first time) baked oatmeal in my countertop oven.  That came out very good, too.  Today's cooking efforts should last me a week!

We had this Instant Pot wild rice soup for dinner last night, served with sourdough bread and fruit. (We did the vegan version, because we somehow managed to have coconut milk but not butter, and added extra mushrooms.) Definitely recommended, if you like the ingredients. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Anyone going to see Halloween 2018.

i want to but I’m scared lol.

You can't pay me enough money to see that movie. Even the commercials scare the ? out of me. 

I have the same problem finding someone to watch musicals with me. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

You can't pay me enough money to see that movie. Even the commercials scare the ? out of me. 

Me, either! I don't like scary and/or spooky movies at all. I went reluctantly went with a group to see The House with a Clock in its Walls, thinking I'd spend the whole time with my eyes closed and my fingers in my ears (my default scary movie position). Only that was a cute, sweet, and funny movie, so I got lucky.

love my Instant Pot. Last week was a major "shop my cupboards and freezer" week. One meal I made in the IP consisted of a large can of hominy, a can of chickpeas, the last of a bag of black beans (soaked while I was at work), a cup of wild rice, the last 1/2 cup of a bag of frozen corn, 2 mini cans of low-sodium spicy V-8 juice, and a large spoonful of homemade taco seasoning. In 10 minutes I had a nice taco  casserole that I topped with some cheese. I found 3 corn tortillas at the bottom of the freezer, thawed them and sprinkled them with chili powder, cumin, and a little bit of salt, then crisped them up in a saute pan to go with it. 

Occasionally I'll get a wild hair and decide to meal plan like a responsible adult and make up freezer meals for the IP. I have a small crockpot with a removable pot that fits inside of my IP and a silicone trivet with long handles. I use Ziploc bags and freeze the dinner to fit that pot. Then I thaw it in the fridge while I work, put in a cup of water, the trivet, and pour the meal into the crockpot pot and put it in the IP. Easy, peasy, lemon squeasy!

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

love my Instant Pot. Last week was a major "shop my cupboards and freezer" week. One meal I made in the IP consisted of a large can of hominy, a can of chickpeas, the last of a bag of black beans (soaked while I was at work), a cup of wild rice, the last 1/2 cup of a bag of frozen corn, 2 mini cans of low-sodium spicy V-8 juice, and a large spoonful of homemade taco seasoning. In 10 minutes I had a nice taco  casserole that I topped with some cheese. I found 3 corn tortillas at the bottom of the freezer, thawed them and sprinkled them with chili powder, cumin, and a little bit of salt, then crisped them up in a saute pan to go with it. 

Occasionally I'll get a wild hair and decide to meal plan like a responsible adult and make up freezer meals for the IP. I have a small crockpot with a removable pot that fits inside of my IP and a silicone trivet with long handles. I use Ziploc bags and freeze the dinner to fit that pot. Then I thaw it in the fridge while I work, put in a cup of water, the trivet, and pour the meal into the crockpot pot and put it in the IP. Easy, peasy, lemon squeasy!

Sounds like my clean out the refrigerator night. My mother used to make meals with the same thought. She’d say, using this stuff up instead of throwing it away. When I knew I could get away with it I’d say, thank you for feeding us the garbage tonight.

Probably one of hose stories you’d have to be there for, and know my mother. ?

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I'll watch a musical with you any day!!!

• Love 5

Friday the 13th was one of the first movies Mr Barb & I saw when we started dating in 1980. 

He didnt mind at all when I held onto his arm for almost the whole movie as well as  burying my head in his shoulder for the real scary  parts. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I LOVE my Instant Pots also!  I use one or more most nights except when there are leftovers.  Usually there are.  We love a leftover.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Sounds like my clean out the refrigerator night. My mother used to make meals with the same thought. She’d say, using this stuff up instead of throwing it away. When I knew I could get away with it I’d say, thank you for feeding us the garbage tonight.

Probably one of hose stories you’d have to be there for, and know my mother. ?

My grandfather always made garbage soup on Saturdays from the weeks leftovers.   Some were more successful than others.  I used to hate showing up to visit on a Saturday.   My dad was used to it and would rib us kids for not wanting to try it.  The worst thing was he always went to the grocery store on Saturday but you could not touch the fresh foods.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I would watch any musical with you, not joking. Musicals are the only thing I love. Im currently trying to talk my friends into a Fred/Ginger marathon and so far no bites. 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

I would watch any musical with you, not joking. Musicals are the only thing I love. Im currently trying to talk my friends into a Fred/Ginger marathon and so far no bites. 

I used to watch a lot of them with my grandkids when they were younger.

But some were not acceptable to watch with them because of some of the mature content.(Dirty Dancing, A Chorus Line, Chicago, etc.) 

Now that they're old enough,I would love to watch some of them together. But  they have too many school activities and have lives (and friends) of their own, so I'm on my own again.?

PS love Fred and Ginger!

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My grandfather always made garbage soup on Saturdays from the weeks leftovers.   Some were more successful than others.

My former pastor would tell stories about his mother doing this for Saturday dinner. Only she would put blue food coloring in it, and call it Blue Soup. 

• Love 2

I'll be at your doorstep shortly.  Though I say this, I'm really picky about my musicals.  I am the only person I know that hates The Sound Of Music.  I love Julie Andrews, she's wonderful in Victor/Victoria, and The Americanization of Emily.  However, I loathe that damn TSOM flick, way too syrupy for me.  I know...there's something wrong with me.  I'm not a huge Judy Garland fan either, though I have a lot of sympathy for her, the way her life went.

Grumpy Grandpa cat is still at home.  His labs were on the cusp of being in the downturn, so between the vet and ourselves we will just keep him home and happy until there's signs that he is suffering.  At this time he's being his usual crabby self, finding a warm spot to nap and taking pot shots at the youngest kitty, so no matter if it's only days or weeks or however long he'll be kept happy.  We'll know when it's time.  

• Love 11

@CherryMalotte  {{{HUGS}}} for you and Grumpy Grandpa   It is never easy watching our fur babies being sick and knowing their time is coming. I am a type of person who enjoys being around animals than certain people, so I become my sad and upset when an animal dies than certain people. I feel bad about feeling this way, but it just the way I am.

After several days of intense observation and counting the clumps in the litter box I think my beloved Mr Norris (18years) is alright. Actually he just climbed off the sofa and went to use the litter box. I do need to make sure I’m cleaning it twice a day and keeping it full (they like it full, 3 cats in household). 

• Love 7

I'm right there with you on the animals over certain people bigsky.  Our roughly 12-year-old Maine Coon needed a lumpectomy last summer.  The testing did show mammary cancer, but she bounced back amazingly.  We thought we were going to lose her a few months ago, but she's bounced from that too.  She has become our little Energizer Bunny.

After a lot of thinking, discussion, and finding a wonderful dealership, we became the proud owners of a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited.  I loved the Outback we drove, but it was just a bit too big.  I was not prepared to do anything yesterday, so saying goodbye to my Fusion was harder than I thought.  I think (?!) we made the right decision.

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, sixlets said:

I'm right there with you on the animals over certain people bigsky.  Our roughly 12-year-old Maine Coon needed a lumpectomy last summer.  The testing did show mammary cancer, but she bounced back amazingly.  We thought we were going to lose her a few months ago, but she's bounced from that too.  She has become our little Energizer Bunny.

After a lot of thinking, discussion, and finding a wonderful dealership, we became the proud owners of a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited.  I loved the Outback we drove, but it was just a bit too big.  I was not prepared to do anything yesterday, so saying goodbye to my Fusion was harder than I thought.  I think (?!) we made the right decision.

Happy travels!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sixlets said:

Sounds like a good decision.  When I was forced to trade my Honda Accord (I loved that car, but it had an expensive repair coming up and it was already old) and got my Jetta, it took me along time to bond with Jetta.  Now I love it, but, not in the beginning.  Missed Honda.

6 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

@Nysha I have seen the news stories about your sister, and I have posted any information about your sister on social media. I hope she comes home soon safe and sound. It seems we are dealing with a lot of missing persons reports in Montana lately.

Thank you, so much, @bigskygirl . I really appreciate you taking the time to share her information.

• Love 2

I'm in Maui right now and I keep looking at myself in my bathing suit and others in their skimpier ones and thinking about how much joy the Duggars  would get out of being Conspicuously Modest here. Perhaps I need a life to drive these bumpkins  out of my head.

I read "I Fired God" on the plane here and it has really made some of the Duggar  gender bullshit and abusive childrearing  practices all the more chilling.

Edited by jcbrown
My iPad is not smarter than me, no matter what it thinks. Autocorrect rejected!
  • Love 9
25 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Little to no heat in my building. I hate my cheap landlord. I will have to get a heater. Brrr. Sleeping in my old winter coat plus 2 blankets and can’t shower is no fun.

I'm sorry, I rent from a cheap landlord, too. We have baseboard heat, but no insulation. So we use space heaters and I staple blankets to the doorways to the front hall, between the kitchen & living room, and between the kitchen and hallway to the bedrooms and over all the windows. We only heat the rooms we're in at the moment. Last year my neighbor used her baseboard heat and her power bill went from $90/month to $250, while mine went from $110 to $150 with the space heaters and a bigger apartment.

@jcbrown, I read "I Fired God" right after Joshgate and figured that sibling molestation might be as common among these culty Fundamentals as the Duggars claimed. While I think the Duggar parents practiced blanket training and other borderline abusive forms of discipline, neither Jim Bob or Michelle seems to have been out-of-control abusive unlike a lot of the parents involved in these cults.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, sixlets said:

I love Subarus!!! My 2006 Subaru Forrester only has 105k miles in it, as much as I long for things like Bluetooth in my car I’m holding onto it for the forseable future. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Little to no heat in my building. I hate my cheap landlord. I will have to get a heater. Brrr. Sleeping in my old winter coat plus 2 blankets and can’t shower is no fun.

How is that even legal?  Who do I have to punch out?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Are you able to buy an electric blanket? Maybe you can find one at a thrift store. It may help to run the shower with the hottest water you can and close the door for a few minutes it may warm up the bathroom a little. It does sound illegal. Is there an apartment association in your town? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

We have been having beautiful weather the last week. It is cold in the morning, but it heats up by the afternoon. Our new heater is working well at night and in the morning. Tomorrow morning someone is coming to our house to look at improving things. Hopefully we may get some new windows, a new front door, insulation, and possible new roof. We are on budget billing for our heat and gas bill, but any improvement will help us out.

Hope things work out for you heat wise.

Edited by bigskygirl
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Are you able to buy an electric blanket? Maybe you can find one at a thrift store. It may help to run the shower with the hottest water you can and close the door for a few minutes it may warm up the bathroom a little. It does sound illegal. Is there an apartment association in your town? 

I am scared it will go up in flames.

Just now, galaxychaser said:

I am scared it will go up in flames.

They really  are safe  now.I use a electric  mattress  pad because  with my arthritis  it seems to feel a little  better . You can turn  on the blanket  one or two hours before  you go to bed and then turn  it off. I feel for you, I lived  without heat  or ac, for a few years. Normally  no heat is not a big problem  here in Houston  but of course  those years were unusually cold.  One year we were at 10°for over 2 weeks. I thought  I would  never get  warm.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

I got heat for about an hour around 8 pm. 

Im going to call the landlord tomorrow. The super must not turn on the boiler or something.

Thats awful I’m sorry. I’d buy a space heater for your bedroom so you can be comfortable while sleeping. In the morning I’d pop it in the bathroom before getting ready. 

• Love 1

I got a space heater from Wal-Mart with a remote and a timer.  Heat went out on the coldest day of the year.  It was the Mainstays brand and worked great.  You didn’t have to uncover to turn it on.  I also have an oil space heater that looks like a radiator. Those are a little safer and it heats unbelievably well. I got that at Lowes.  Maybe those would be good options.  

• Love 3

I have an electric throw blanket which has an automatic timer  that shuts itself off after a certain amount of time.

I ended up losing a large amount of weight after my lung surgery in May.  I wasn't even trying but think being off my feet helped a lot in getting rid of the swelling I had in my lower legs along with drinking water instead of soda & limiting my snacks.  Anyway, without my extra layer of fat,  I've noticed I get colder much sooner than I used to.  I was watching TV in bed last night & it took me at least an hour to warm up under the covers after I got in.  Same thing happened to my BIL after his weight loss surgery in January.   He was never cold but now is fighting with my sister for the throws when they are watching TV.  His drs told him it was normal.

• Love 2

I am the person who wakes up during the night roasting and kicking off the blankets or comforter even when it is cold outside. We have been having temps in the 60's and 70's the last week, so I usually end up turning on a fan by the time afternoon hits. When it is cold outside, it makes me miserable. When it is hot outside, it makes me feel like crap. My body cannot make up its mind. I also get nervous having space heaters in the house. We had to use a couple when we were waiting for the repair guys to put in our new heater in April, and I kept thinking we were going to have a fire if one of them got knocked over or got too hot.

1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

and I kept thinking we were going to have a fire if one of them got knocked over or got too hot.

I just bought a small one today for my bathroom. Otherwise it is so cold that I don’t want to bathe. It has an automatic shut off if it gets too hot and wasn’t very expensive. If y’all are thinking of buying one look at the brands that have that auto feature. It was $11.99. Now I’m just scared of electrocution. Funny how fears can be rational or not, but our fears are our fears. 

• Love 6

Since our new furnace is working well, I hope we will not need to use space heaters. I just hope we do not have another long, cold snowy winter starting in December like the last two years. I might end up joining the bears and hibernate until Spring finally comes.