Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Good news! Scan has shown improvement.  One small mass gone, two smaller ones shrunk. Lung metastases are reduced as well, which is excellent news.  Larger masses not shrunk much, but they aren't "lighting up" on the scan with the intensity they were before. Have 3 more treatments so I've got faith the Avastin will strangle and reduce the larger masses.  THANK YOU!, JESUS!!!

Great news!! Makes me think of my cousin in England who was diagnosed, a little over  two years ago, with esophageal cancer which had metastasized to his stomach, liver, and around his heart. Inoperable, they said, and gave him 6 months  tops. But after two intense rounds of chemo, which shrunk the major masses to manageable size, he ended up finding a cutting-edge doctor and getting surgery throughout much of his torso including a complete stomach removal, and now remains cancer-free, looking and feeling better than he has in years and living the heck out of every moment. Here's hoping that your outcome will prove positive, and hopefully without anything like that amount of surgery. They really are doing some great work out there!!

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Good news! Scan has shown improvement.  One small mass gone, two smaller ones shrunk. Lung metastases are reduced as well, which is excellent news.  Larger masses not shrunk much, but they aren't "lighting up" on the scan with the intensity they were before. Have 3 more treatments so I've got faith the Avastin will strangle and reduce the larger masses.  THANK YOU!, JESUS!!!

Huge high 5!  You have been in my thoughts.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Snoopy and I are happy dancing for you!

happy2.png

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Oh my God @Arwen, such wonderful news. I've got faith too. I can't begin to tell you how happy this makes me. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Big hugs and prayers to you.

• Love 5

Oh Arwen, that is fantastic, I'm so happy!  I have positive thoughts for you and all the others here who are having a trying time medically.  It sucks, even little nagging aches and pains.  

I still want to kick my father into next friggin week - but I'm nearly at the end of my list of the nagging bullshit that need to get done.  There's property that's being sold and that closing should happen within the next couple of weeks.  I've poked and prodded and nagged and got just short of threatening with him about getting items out of my grandparent's old shack that he wanted, or given away to people that do want them.  There's some things I want but don't have the room for right now, a cousin (bless him a thousand years) has offered to put up the rest of what needs to come out of there out at his farm property storage so it'll be safe and out of the elements til whenever.  So he's shuffled and protested but done most of what needed to get done.  It helps if I give him time periods that he has to get things done by, as in you have two months to do whatever, or make this appointment for Wed or Friday only...if he's on a shorter leash he works better.  But good gravy, I can totally see why my mother was exasperated with him.

I had to laugh though, the lawyer that called me about the closing stuff had seemed a bit wary at first, but then came out and asked 'is your father competent?'  I was taken aback at first because I've never had anyone ask me that specifically - and then explained to her about his absence in the responsibility departments and said to her 'well, he does what he wants when he wants and doesn't concern himself with any other of life's details'.  Which is true.

Wish I could have more compassion for him.  Can't though, there's no magic wand here to make the last 40 odd years of his indifference erase itself.  I wasn't anyone worth talking to until he needed my intercession in his life.  Oh well, it's his loss.

Boy I hope we all have some fun summer stuff going on, I'm going to visit my gal pal in the next state for a long weekend, and then there's a local Ren Faire to go to.  Any plans for anyone else? 

• Love 2

Two years ago, after my cat had a stroke, I adopted a year-old cat from Animal Control (and I never want to go there again!  Too sad...)  Lilly had had a rough first year of life, and she had developed gingivitis.  At her yearly exam last week, the vet recommended a tooth cleaning.  I picked her up Monday afternoon, and found out that they had had to pull 9 teeth.  And still, the first thing she wanted to eat was crunchy cat treats.  Since the "chewing" teeth are now missing, I think she swallows most of them, but she keeps trying to chew them.  She seems so happy now, so I'm thinking her mouth must have really been giving her constant pain.  Unfortunately, her buddy cat knows her from a distance, but not by smell.  No more trench breath!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, CalicoKitty said:

Two years ago, after my cat had a stroke, I adopted a year-old cat from Animal Control (and I never want to go there again!  Too sad...)  Lilly had had a rough first year of life, and she had developed gingivitis.  At her yearly exam last week, the vet recommended a tooth cleaning.  I picked her up Monday afternoon, and found out that they had had to pull 9 teeth.  And still, the first thing she wanted to eat was crunchy cat treats.  Since the "chewing" teeth are now missing, I think she swallows most of them, but she keeps trying to chew them.  She seems so happy now, so I'm thinking her mouth must have really been giving her constant pain.  Unfortunately, her buddy cat knows her from a distance, but not by smell.  No more trench breath!

I have a kitty who only has 2 teeth due to having most of her teeth out due to stomatitis and neck lesions in her mouth.  She eats kibble just fine and is a chow hound.  

21 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I have a kitty who only has 2 teeth due to having most of her teeth out due to stomatitis and neck lesions in her mouth.  She eats kibble just fine and is a chow hound.  

I have a Pappillon with no teeth...Didn't realize how prone this breed is to dental problems and missed a couple of yearly cleanings when we moved and the time just got away from me with all the house projects going on. I knew he had bad breath, but had no clue his teeth had gotten as bad as they did. Oh, I felt like such a failure!  :( He still eats kibble just fine as well, though. 

13 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have a Pappillon with no teeth...Didn't realize how prone this breed is to dental problems and missed a couple of yearly cleanings when we moved and the time just got away from me with all the house projects going on. I knew he had bad breath, but had no clue his teeth had gotten as bad as they did. Oh, I felt like such a failure!  :( He still eats kibble just fine as well, though. 

Our seven-year-old Shih Tzu has terrible breath and the vet recommended pulling some inflamed teeth a couple of years ago. They pulled six teeth (some front, some back) and his breath improved...for about 3 months!! I think we're going to have to bring him back in to re-assess.

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on one of the icons with L or XL.  There is a light and dark version.

If those are too large, go for M.

Thanks!!

• Love 4

Had 4th chemo treatment this past Tuesday. My oncologist recommended a blood transfusion due to my anemia. The earliest I could get it done is this coming Tuesday.  Can't come soon enough.  The bone crushing fatigue and my feet feeling like blocks of ice is really miserable.  Other than that, I'm doing pretty decent.  My doc reassures me that I will feel better very soon. Wish me luck.

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Had 4th chemo treatment this past Tuesday. My oncologist recommended a blood transfusion due to my anemia. The earliest I could get it done is this coming Tuesday.  Can't come soon enough.  The bone crushing fatigue and my feet feeling like blocks of ice is really miserable.  Other than that, I'm doing pretty decent.  My doc reassures me that I will feel better very soon. Wish me luck.

You will feel better almost immediately with the blood transfusion.

• Love 2
On 6/11/2017 at 6:51 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

My friend felt much better after her blood transfusion. Absolutely wishing the same for you. Thanks for keeping us up.....sending hugs your way!!

• Love 2

Thanks all for your good wishes and frontal hugs with and without squishy boobies.

I was tired after the treatment, but even beneficial treatments are tiring when they go on for 8 hours. I looked and felt better after the first unit.  They gave me 2.

Had the wonderful luxury of getting an 8 hour stretch of uninterrupted sleep.  Luxury!!!  Since the transfusion, my neuropathy also feels quite a bit better, now that my hands and feet don't feel like they are encased in blocks of ice.  Put some Tiger Balm on my feet and ankles and that seemed to help.

I think they're going to give me a blood booster injection after my remaining treatments..  My treatments are every 3 weeks. I've had 4 so far out of 6.  Two more to go.  Last one will be July 18th.  

They'll do another scan after that to see what they'll do next.  If I'm not ready for surgery, they'll look at giving me more chemo, but they'll give me a 6 to 8 week break.  Depending on my response, they may continue with the same drugs or may change them.  My cancer was determined to be a clear cell carcinoma .  Not impossible for God, but this type has been shown to be resistant to platinum based chemo.  The thing is, there's not enough known about clear cell for them to determine who is and isn't resistant, but I have shown a response thus far. 

Your continued prayers and good wishes and thoughts have helped sustain me, my husband, family, and friends at this time. 

• Love 23

I will continue  to pray .  I wish I could  do something  " hands on" so to speak . Thank you for keeping  us updated. I know it is one more thing  for you to think about  when you are not feeling  well but you do have a group  of people  who care  even  if we have never  meet . 

• Love 8