Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 2/17/2017 at 9:05 PM, Love2dance said:

So sorry, @xtwheeler. Glad the "angels on earth" hospice workers are there to bring you and your parents comfort.

So sorry @xtwheeler to hear about your dad. I lurk much more on this thread than I post, so sorry for the late post. Hospice workers are truly  angels on this earth. When my family lost our Daddy, they were so caring and kind to my mom and me and my siblings.

• Love 2
On 2/19/2017 at 7:55 PM, Sew Sumi said:

What's weird is that I am watching a San Jose Sharks' game, and this is their primary announcer. He has NEVER used the term that I've heard. But he has a national audience tonight (competing with the NBA AllStar game, good luck!). But still, I've have watched hockey for 30 years and never heard that. LMAO because I immediately went to my own personal prayer closet, because normal people wouldn't make that Duggar connection. 

HELP! 

LOL was it Randy on TV or Drew Ramenda? I love the expression "sin bin" - - in part because I always get the mental picture of them having been dumped in there like a waste bin, ass over tea kettle! 

• Love 1

I got 9 correct!  Silly me, I didn't know we should shampoo our hair regularly, every 2 weeks!!!

This describes the Duggar kidults to a tee:

Correct!A democracy!

The book spends several pages explaining the difference between a democratic family and a patriarchal family, and gives examples of both kinds of families. According to our authors, the children in the patriarchal family end up struggling because they had “little opportunity to make decisions for themselves” and were “poorly prepared for adult life in a democracy.”

• Love 4
10 hours ago, louannems said:

I got 9 correct!  Silly me, I didn't know we should shampoo our hair regularly, every 2 weeks!!!

This describes the Duggar kidults to a tee:

Correct!A democracy!

The book spends several pages explaining the difference between a democratic family and a patriarchal family, and gives examples of both kinds of families. According to our authors, the children in the patriarchal family end up struggling because they had “little opportunity to make decisions for themselves” and were “poorly prepared for adult life in a democracy.”

Even back in the 1950s (which was pretty patriarchal in plenty of ways), it was recognized that doing this to one's children was detrimental to them. 

Obviously, since psychiatrists, psychologists, sociology, and  anthropology are deemed "evil" by Fundies, they often knowingly succeed in keeping their followers ignorant of facts that are contrary to their agenda.

The House of Boob is a dictatorship, going far beyond patriarchy. It clear his adult children are so incapable of making decisions.  Just think about Jilly Muffin looking like she was asked to make a life altering decision when simply asked to opine on the sex of her sister's baby. The wheel is turning , but the hamster is dead.

• Love 2

Monday morning my computer monitor went to the great computer monitor grave in the sky. This morning I tried to make a phone call with my cordless phone, but no can do. I have a dial tone, but I was unable to make a local call. The corded phone in the back bedroom is not working either. A few minutes ago got a phone call but was not able to answer the call, and the answering machine did not kick in. I was able to contact the phone company, and they were able to go in and check the line. They will send someone out next Tuesday 2/28 in the morning to see what is going on. I hope it is the blasted phone battery or something simple because I do not want to pay $85.00 in case it something not related to the phone line. Going without a phone is not good, and we have no cell phones to use.

Good news: Phone is fine. Might have had a power surge this morning causing the problem. Unplug the phone and plug it back in, and it is working. No tech needing to come and check everything and no paying $85.00 for potential none line problems.

23 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I only got five right on that home ec quiz. I did not know there was a correct side to sit down in and stand up from a chair!

I failed miserably. I only got 3 correct. And apparently I wash my hair WAY too often ...

• Love 2

I got 9, but some of those rules are crazy.  Of course, I grew up in the 50s and had heard some of them.  A few I'd heard and then forgotten and some were not the way it really was in the 50s.  Hair was washed once a week at the hairdressers and set.  That was the way by at least by 90% of the women my mother knew.  Where else did they get those beauty parlor scenes in Andy Griffith?  Even my uber compulsive grandma didn't clean the toilet daily and she mopped her kitchen floor every single day after lunch.  She also didn't open a window to let the bed air.  I've never seen that one. 

Edited by Absolom
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Hair was washed once a week at the hairdressers and set.  That was the way by at least by 90% of the women my mother knew.  

My grandmother was still doing that until she passed away several years ago at the age of 90. I'd often take her to the beauty parlor for her weekly wash-and-set. I don't even think she owned a bottle of shampoo.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Hair was washed once a week at the hairdressers and set.  That was the way by at least by 90% of the women my mother knew.  

That was exactly what my mother's generation did. (I'm a Boomer, so we're talking some old folks here, lol!) My mom's hair appointment was after work on Tuesdays. I never knew her to wash her own hair. She wore a short style, her hairdresser did a good job with the cut, color, and style. I must say, mom did a great job of keeping her hair looking good all week. It never seemed unkempt or dirty. It wasn't one of those old lady frizzy perm looks, either. She kept it dyed red (or reddish) long past the age of credibility, but more power to her, may she rest in peace. It looked fine on her. 

• Love 4

I failed most of those although I grew up in those times and took home ec.  But we called it "cooking" and then next time it was "sewing".  I learned to sew on a treadle machine.  I did get my hair washed and set at the beauty parlor every week until I had my first child and then couldn't afford the money or the time.  And then blow drying became popular.  No one I knew waited two weeks between hair washings.

• Love 1

Does anyone   remember  a poster  named Gmel, or Gmel or something  like that. She posted  along   with Wonderwomen. Well she said she wrote  a book and gave the title  so we could check it out if we wished, I did but it wasn't  my type of book. Anyway I was looking  at my Facebook  feed and lo and behold there she was. I wanted to ask her if she had ever heard   of the Duggars ,  and the prayer closet, but then I thought   not.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Does anyone   remember  a poster  named Gmel, or Gmel or something  like that. She posted  along   with Wonderwomen. Well she said she wrote  a book and gave the title  so we could check it out if we wished, I did but it wasn't  my type of book. Anyway I was looking  at my Facebook  feed and lo and behold there she was. I wanted to ask her if she had ever heard   of the Duggars ,  and the prayer closet, but then I thought   not.

Yes, I remember GEML.  I also found her book and Facebook but haven't checked out the Facebook in a long time.

I had a sneaking feeling that part of the presence was to sell books and once that was played out, there was no reason to remain.  There was that and there were more and more issues with some of the claims. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

I had a sneaking feeling that part of the presence was to sell books and once that was played out, there was no reason to remain.  There was that and there were more and more issues with some of the claims. 

I find whenever someone online has an answer to everything, or always has a connection to a topic, no matter what the topic is, I get a little suspect. I felt it with wanderwoman (she's the one who faked the sick child? If not, sorry for disparaging the name! Someone mentioned it above so now it's all I can think of), where everything just seemed to get worse every day, there was always a new sob story. Maybe I'm just more skeptical in nature, or maybe it's because I go back to being online back before social media and mainstream forums, where most people could never prove their claims because they didn't have cameras, and so I just assume it's a lie until there's proof.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, DoctorWhovian said:

I find whenever someone online has an answer to everything, or always has a connection to a topic, no matter what the topic is, I get a little suspect. I felt it with wanderwoman (she's the one who faked the sick child? If not, sorry for disparaging the name! Someone mentioned it above so now it's all I can think of), where everything just seemed to get worse every day, there was always a new sob story. Maybe I'm just more skeptical in nature, or maybe it's because I go back to being online back before social media and mainstream forums, where most people could never prove their claims because they didn't have cameras, and so I just assume it's a lie until there's proof.

I had felt this too re GEML. And she started almost every sentence with "actually". I began to wonder after a while.  But it took me a long time to catch on to wanderwoman.  

• Love 11

I have been lurking for quite some time and must confess I felt like a cold hearted bitch when the WW saga began. I have even discussed it with my husband, who just shrugged and said "It's your training, your BS meter is going off, that's all." Then I got mad at him for enabling my cold heart, lack of empathy. Yeah, good times.

Never thought I'd be so proud of not being an expert on anything and not having a connection to anything. Mediocrity here I come. Seriously, I did feel like something was very wrong with me at the time.

• Love 9

I got totally played by WW, I bought into the whole story. I was on vacation the week she was outed and came back to like 20 unread pages in this thread, lol!

Can I vent about my job? I adore my boss and my team--we have way too much work to do and not enough hours in the day to do it, but they are great. It's my boss' boss (boss's boss?) who is the problem. This week she asked me on Tuesday to fill in a coworker on a project I'm working on. I had jury duty on Wednesday so I was out of the office and I had 9 meetings on Thursday, so I was booked until about 4pm. At 3:30 on Thursday, she emails and im's me a series of messages asking why I haven't sent the coworker anything, what's taking so long, why is this a problem to send? I had emailed the coworker, copying the big boss, apologizing for the delay (of a whole freaking 36 hours) and setting up a meeting to chat on Monday, but that was apparently not good enough. I woke up this morning to another series of emails sent at 3:30am from the big boss, saying she was proud of her team's timely response to things and I needed to step up and she noticed I took a lot of notes on things and wasn't sure I was understanding her requests. Then she called me at 7:30am to talk further. On my day off.

This would have destroyed me in my 20's, but I'm 40 now and I'm too old for this shit. I went out and bought two lottery tickets. Fingers crossed I win and I can go into the office and quit in a spectacular fashion, lol.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, SMama said:

I have been lurking for quite some time and must confess I felt like a cold hearted bitch when the WW saga began. I have even discussed it with my husband, who just shrugged and said "It's your training, your BS meter is going off, that's all." Then I got mad at him for enabling my cold heart, lack of empathy. Yeah, good times.

Never thought I'd be so proud of not being an expert on anything and not having a connection to anything. Mediocrity here I come. Seriously, I did feel like something was very wrong with me at the time.

You were just smarter than some of us who were caught hook, line, and sinker by Wanderwoman. But the sad fallout is that now I feel so wary of any new poster who has a story, and I am not happy being this skeptical person. Makes me sad that she hardened my heart, but maybe I needed that.

• Love 8

Not smarter, just dumb luck. After reading the outpouring of love and support here I developed sincere admiration for all of you. I'm not a big sharer and was going through serious emotional pain myself. Reading how you supported a person in pain actually helped me as well. It's good to know there are good people in this world.  Please be vigilant but don't stop caring. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I got totally played by WW, I bought into the whole story. I was on vacation the week she was outed and came back to like 20 unread pages in this thread, lol!

Can I vent about my job? I adore my boss and my team--we have way too much work to do and not enough hours in the day to do it, but they are great. It's my boss' boss (boss's boss?) who is the problem. This week she asked me on Tuesday to fill in a coworker on a project I'm working on. I had jury duty on Wednesday so I was out of the office and I had 9 meetings on Thursday, so I was booked until about 4pm. At 3:30 on Thursday, she emails and im's me a series of messages asking why I haven't sent the coworker anything, what's taking so long, why is this a problem to send? I had emailed the coworker, copying the big boss, apologizing for the delay (of a whole freaking 36 hours) and setting up a meeting to chat on Monday, but that was apparently not good enough. I woke up this morning to another series of emails sent at 3:30am from the big boss, saying she was proud of her team's timely response to things and I needed to step up and she noticed I took a lot of notes on things and wasn't sure I was understanding her requests. Then she called me at 7:30am to talk further. On my day off.

This would have destroyed me in my 20's, but I'm 40 now and I'm too old for this shit. I went out and bought two lottery tickets. Fingers crossed I win and I can go into the office and quit in a spectacular fashion, lol.

You made me LOL and I rarely laugh out loud on these boards. Thanks for a TGIF chuckle!

Edited by Almost 3000
me and my are different...
  • Love 7

I was along for the WW ride and even helped build information on the Duggar general info page with her. Which BTW she was pretty accurate on and its still there. I then started noticing she rarely responded to another poster. The way her story was paced and quickly built into a huge disaster with the original intelligent poster becoming very disjointed reminded me so much of Ruth that I backed off. By the time she was outed I was suspecting something was off but also felt a bit like a bitch when others were being so kind. But I love the camaraderie in this thread and will always honor the support posters give to one another.

• Love 6

Feeling like a cold B again because is interesting  reading the look back on WW. I had been lurking for so long and the downward spiral of "her life" was like nothing I've ever heard before. The old KISS adage comes to mind.  

And I'll admit I'm curious about GEML. Her posts were very well written. I looked forward to her many posts asserting how Derick was not taking off more than his share of time at Walmart. Or when she would explain in detail why Josh was so valuable to FRC because of his unique status within "that subculture." Kind of embarrassing how much time I've spent lurking here. 

• Love 5

I seriously don't remember wanderwoman. Maybe it was during the time I was so mad at the whole Joshgatr I had to not look at this board for MONTHS. I'd still probably have to try hard not to smack his face if I saw him in person. 

GEML *insert eyeroll* she sounded to me like she'd written a research paper on Appalachian Culture and a Religious Fundamentalism and found herself an expert. She knew a lot of facts and folklore. I'll leave it at that. I did find one of her books and it was ok. 

Didn't realize she'd moved to Ireland or wherever. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, SMama said:

And I'll admit I'm curious about GEML. Her posts were very well written. I looked forward to her many posts asserting how Derick was not taking off more than his share of time at Walmart. Or when she would explain in detail why Josh was so valuable to FRC because of his unique status within "that subculture." Kind of embarrassing how much time I've spent lurking here. 

Quite a bit of which was more fiction than fact.  Josh could have been replaced by at least a dozen other people for instance and many of them would have had actual education if it had been a real job.  It was simply a bit of using Josh until he became a quite expendable problem.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, SMama said:

Don't feel bad, I never bought into WW either for a second. I was seriously pissed off when the Small Talk thread was renamed.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

GEML *insert eyeroll* she sounded to me like she'd written a research paper on Appalachian Culture and a Religious Fundamentalism and found herself an expert. She knew a lot of facts and folklore. I'll leave it at that. I did find one of her books and it was ok. 

That's an excellent description of the depth of her knowledge.  It so reminded me of a guy at work who announced he knew all about subject A.  When asked about gaining that knowledge, he finally admitted it was from reading an encyclopedia article.

• Love 2

I'm sure  this was brought up before, but didn't we think there was a connection between WW & GEML?  I think GEML left the forum the same time WW was outed.  I'm probably wrong. IIRC,  she was posting from Ireland but not for long.  There was also that grandmother that was outed - she needed help to get her grandkids school supplies & a Go fund me page was set up for her. That could have been around that time too.  GEML was never one of my favorites being a know-it-all, mainly after she shot down one of my posts.

• Love 5

@Absolom I should have made myself clear. I said well written because GEML did not write like the usual fundie. I did look forward to her posts for entertainment purposes. I agree with you that all Joshlie Madison brought to FRC was name recognition. It was annoying that someone so undereducated was rewarded with a well paying job in D.C. A job that was basically spewing hate.

The Derick defense posts amused me because dear lord why go through all that trouble to "prove" precious Derick was not taking more time off than his fair share. A few times I thought it desperate to prove she had an in to corporate America and everyone else was wrong.

Hope I explained myself clearly, or just a tad better. :)

BTW, where are the emojis located?

The grandma was outed?! Hopefully not much money was donated. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I'm sure  this was brought up before, but didn't we think there was a connection between WW & GEML?  I think GEML left the forum the same time WW was outed.  I'm probably wrong. IIRC,  she was posting from Ireland but not for long.  There was also that grandmother that was outed - she needed help to get her grandkids school supplies & a Go fund me page was set up for her. That could have been around that time too.  GEML was never one of my favorites being a know-it-all, mainly after she shot down one of my posts.

I can't remember if we thought there was a connection, but it was Seashell Lover who wanted the $$ and I gave some to her!!  It wasn't much, but, I guess she sounded sincere in the beginning and then she always had a "but" when someone suggested something real.

Ugh, I gave some money to Seashell Lover, too. She disappeared pretty quickly after the GoFundMe account filled up. Oh well, better to be kind and giving and lose a few bucks. Karma will catch up to them in the end.

• Love 6

I totally don't remember Seashell Lover, but if y'all are giving money, you can send some to me for my ministry of witnessing to heathens in Chic Fil A. I need lots of their frozen lemonade and nuggets in my countenance to purpose during this season of life. And the Iraq and maps and such.

• Love 10
On 2/24/2017 at 5:28 PM, lookeyloo said:

I had felt this too re GEML. And she started almost every sentence with "actually". I began to wonder after a while.  But it took me a long time to catch on to wanderwoman.  

Wow wow wow.  I don't post much in this thread, but I, too, am a longtime reader/sometime poster.  Remember GEML and her posts so well!  And always wondered why they abruptly stopped.  She was "actually" local to me at one time, and I wondered how she was such an expert on so many topics- the geographical area, politics, appalachia, religions, midwifery, etc.  I also wonder how someone who was an "actual" author had THAT much time to devote to online forums!  

Completely missed the wanderwoman thing, to my great regret.  Sounds like a lot of fun :)

• Love 3

@awaken not only how did she have the time to post as an author, but didn't she have a toddler? My daughter is nine and NOW is when I have time to post. When she was preschool age I was happy to bathe daily, make meals, run errands, and mommy and me activities done. For a SAHM I did not spend much time home. BTW most difficult thing I've ever done. Another level of empathy for the 19. Giving a child proper attention takes freaking time!  Sorry end of rant.

• Love 3

Lookeyloo, thanks for providing the name of Seashell Lover for the grandma. I remember she had a Beachy kind of name, but that's all I remembered.  Another one of those " I can't believe I remember this kind of stuff" thing.I don't think she was around that long even before  the outing.  I guess just enough to get her story rolling. WW had me hook, line & sinker until the very end with the ex bringing his new lady friend to a family function or something like that.  That whole saga would have made a great Lifetime movie. Like others have said, this is a very friendly & caring group of people. I'm glad we're here for one another. 

• Love 6

I'm surprised Seashell Lover was the g'ma name.  I had thought it was something else related to being a grandmother.  But she suddenly got custody of 2 or 3 grandkids and needed money for things she should have been able to afford, it seemed to me. I want to leave money when I go to be used to pay some specific bills for people who really beed the money.  The problem is that there are that not many, as most could come up with the cash if they managed a bit better.  Nothing you do for people used to dependency makes any kind of an impact.  Oh gee, thanks loads for today, tomorrow I'll dig myself another hole.

• Love 2