Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

bigskygirl, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think I'm really lucky when it comes to family gatherings. Yes, they can get a little loud and nuts, but we all genuinely love each other and like hanging out with each other. If anything, we whine about not hanging out together more. I can't imagine how those of you with seriously nutso family members deal with it. So much stress!

• Love 3

Starting in high school as we got PT jobs, my immediate family - parents and 6 kids - all bought for everyone else. When in-laws and significant others started showing up, we siblings drew names - and then we all also bought for our parents.  Then grandchildren-nieces-nephews came on the scene, and the adults scaled back somewhat so we could focus on the kids. Now Mom and Dad are gone - and the second generation are all in their 20s - so we buy for everyone again. But no one wants to trudge through stores anymore - and none of us NEED a darned thing - so we buy small things, funny or creative things. There are about 12 of us and I don't think anyone spends more than $200-300 overall. Lots of fun stocking stuffers and even more gift cards. Which MY family loves and does not object to in the least. Getting a gift card is exactly the same as being handed cash and ENSURES that you will get something that YOU really like. Takes all the guesswork out of shopping. People who don't like gift cards are, in our collective opinion, not thoroughly examining the concept - LOL. It's win-win for everyone. We take turns hosting Christmas Eve each year and you almost never see a big wrapped-up box under the tree anymore. It's more challenging and fun to "shop small" too. Sometimes I'll think of a really perfect little gift in March, although I have learned - the hard way - that I better write it down right away, or come December, I'll have completely forgotten it. We also pool together for a charity each year too. Our favorites are anything for US vets or  Heifer International, which helps families get started with livestock in their home countries. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, he eats for a lifetime...

• Love 12

bigskygirl its never easy to lose loved ones especially near or during the holiday seasons, I lost my dad on 12/6/11. My thoughts and prayers with you and your family and friends.

How true. My father-in-law died on a Friday the 13th -- Dec 13, 1996.

Big Sky - I'm adding my condolences & prayers too.

• Love 3

Starting in high school as we got PT jobs, my immediate family - parents and 6 kids - all bought for everyone else. When in-laws and significant others started showing up, we siblings drew names - and then we all also bought for our parents.  Then grandchildren-nieces-nephews came on the scene, and the adults scaled back somewhat so we could focus on the kids. Now Mom and Dad are gone - and the second generation are all in their 20s - so we buy for everyone again. But no one wants to trudge through stores anymore - and none of us NEED a darned thing - so we buy small things, funny or creative things. There are about 12 of us and I don't think anyone spends more than $200-300 overall. Lots of fun stocking stuffers and even more gift cards. Which MY family loves and does not object to in the least. Getting a gift card is exactly the same as being handed cash and ENSURES that you will get something that YOU really like. Takes all the guesswork out of shopping. People who don't like gift cards are, in our collective opinion, not thoroughly examining the concept - LOL. It's win-win for everyone. We take turns hosting Christmas Eve each year and you almost never see a big wrapped-up box under the tree anymore. It's more challenging and fun to "shop small" too. Sometimes I'll think of a really perfect little gift in March, although I have learned - the hard way - that I better write it down right away, or come December, I'll have completely forgotten it. We also pool together for a charity each year too. Our favorites are anything for US vets or  Heifer International, which helps families get started with livestock in their home countries. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, he eats for a lifetime...

Beautiful and such a beautiful family tradition.

• Love 5

I can't imagine how those of you with seriously nutso family members deal with it. So much stress!

I carefully limit the contact we have with them by doing stuff like encouraging my husband to have brunch with his sister when I am at a workshop or other professional-type meeting. We see them only a few times a year now. I realize that sounds cold, but I'd rather enjoy whatever occasion or holiday celebrated instead of spending the visit wondering when there's going to be a problem.

• Love 6

I carefully limit the contact we have with them by doing stuff like encouraging my husband to have brunch with his sister when I am at a workshop or other professional-type meeting. We see them only a few times a year now. I realize that sounds cold, but I'd rather enjoy whatever occasion or holiday celebrated instead of spending the visit wondering when there's going to be a problem.

Doesn't sound cold at all. It sounds wise.

• Love 7

I want to say I enjoy most things that are written here. I like the different viewpoints expressed here. I am a Christian who works a lot so I do not have the chance to hear the viewpoint of an atheist , I hear that here, and I do enjoy hearing different views or thoughts on things. I have never been wished a Happy Occult Day, and honestly would like to know more about that. I worry about HFC's mom and daughter, I worry about Jellybeans as she continues to deal with the death of her daughter. I laugh at some of the stories all of you tell. In an odd way all of you become friends. I do not post here often, but I read a few times a day, in fact I check here more than I do my Facebook page. I even wonder about WW , because she must have a sad life. Well today is my birthday, I am now almost as old as dirt, at least that is what my body tells me, my mind wonders where that body went to you know the one that could get up from the floor without help. Everyone take care during Thanksgiving and have fun, with family or friends or even by yourself if that is what you need.

• Love 19

I want to say I enjoy most things that are written here. I like the different viewpoints expressed here. I am a Christian who works a lot so I do not have the chance to hear the viewpoint of an atheist , I hear that here, and I do enjoy hearing different views or thoughts on things. I have never been wished a Happy Occult Day, and honestly would like to know more about that. I worry about HFC's mom and daughter, I worry about Jellybeans as she continues to deal with the death of her daughter. I laugh at some of the stories all of you tell. In an odd way all of you become friends. I do not post here often, but I read a few times a day, in fact I check here more than I do my Facebook page. I even wonder about WW , because she must have a sad life. Well today is my birthday, I am now almost as old as dirt, at least that is what my body tells me, my mind wonders where that body went to you know the one that could get up from the floor without help. Everyone take care during Thanksgiving and have fun, with family or friends or even by yourself if that is what you need.

I love what you are saying here, CRAZYCATLADY58 and agree about the friendship we feel for the members of this thread.

Happy Birthday to you. I hope it was a lovely day.

• Love 4

Crazycatlady58, I hope you have a joyous birthday and the upcoming year is your best yet. Well between my deadlines, family and friends in town for the next four days, thanksgiving and Black Friday I have a crazy few days coming up. I might be checking in during my down time (like now when my data is crunching or when I'm standing in line at Target and Toys R Us and Best Buy lol) but if I can't, Happy Thanksgiving to all, I hope your holiday weekend is perfect for you!

Yest. 11:01 pm

CrazyCatLady,  I hope your birthday is full of everything you love.  

• Love 1

Well today is my birthday, I am now almost as old as dirt, at least that is what my body tells me, my mind wonders where that body went to you know the one that could get up from the floor without help. 

I wish I'd known!  I would have gotten you your very own action figure:

http://mcphee.com/shop/crazy-cat-lady-action-figure.html

What is "Occult Day"?  I've never heard of it and I have many atheist, deist, and pagan friends. 

• Love 2

Lumer, I do not know, I few days ago someone wished everyone a Happy Occlut day and it sounded interesting. I work retail and have had no time to check Mr. Google about it.like I say I like to hear about other peoples beliefs, I find it interesting.

Apparently it was November 18th and "a day for witches, rituals, fairies and more, Occult Day celebrates a world of mystery and magic."

• Love 1

Apparently it was November 18th and "a day for witches, rituals, fairies and more, Occult Day celebrates a world of mystery and magic."

Oh, "celebrates a world of mystery and magic", I like that! I had never heard of Occult Day either.

Happy belated birthday, crazycatlady!

• Love 1

It took me 20 years for my family and inlaws to stop the christmas gift insanity. Decades of stupid, unasked-for, unneeded crap that went to the goodwill or the trash. Though my nephew seems to think everyone should buy christmas presents for his girlfriend. Not sure where he got that idea and I'm going to squash it as soon as I'm able.

I'm mean and heartless that way.

OMG my sons have gone through so many girlfriends in the last ten years. And no, they aren't the Rolling Stones, just normal commitment-shy twenty - somethings!

My new plan of attack is to just start buying pretty scarf and glove sets in colors that are flattering to every skin tone, hair colour and ethnicity, put them in a rubbermaid and I will be prepared! Lol

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 11

Happy B-day! Is it today the 25th? If so mine too! Don't you love the sometimes Thanksgiving Day birthday? I'm popping open my favorite bottle of Prosecco & cooking for T-day. Whoo Hoo

Happy Birthday, ALMOST. 3000! Hope you have a great day without too much cooking taking away your celebration time.

• Love 1

Happy Birthday Cat Lady & Almost 3000. Almost 3000 mentioned it in her post about sharing your birthday with Thanksgiving - how often has it happened?

Let me add my birthday wishes to Cat Lady and Almost 3000.

On the subject of birthdays that sometimes fall on Thanksgiving, in last Night's episode, one of the "couchies" on The People's Couch told a funny story about his birthday and the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. In case you haven't watched The People's Couch, it's highly entertaining, although it sounds dreadful (a show about people watching TV). The "couchies" and their reactions to the various shows are priceless, though. It's one of my favorite hours of TV, and it has somewhat redeemed Bravo in my eyes.

• Love 1

Well I am trying to learn how to quote and I do not seem to be doing it well. I quoted Lemur ( thanks for looking that up) but have not figured out how to add the reply. Thanks again for all the birthday wishes . I hope every one has a Happy Thanksgiving and think of me Friday, as I said before I work retail and Friday will be nuts.

• Love 4

Happy Birthday Cat Lady & Almost 3000. Almost 3000 mentioned it in her post about sharing your birthday with Thanksgiving - how often has it happened?

I haven't figured it out but a couple of times and I always joke that its a good thing I like pie better than cake particularly when the pies are usually homemade. Yum!

• Love 2

Hi everyone. I'm not going to make it through all the posts of the last couple of days, but I'm checking in to wish my fellow Americans a Happy Thanksgiving (and if you're in another country, you go ahead and have a Happy Day too).

DD1 arrived this morning on the red-eye from LA and DD2 is expected within the next hour. The house is more or less clean, beds ready for overnight guests, a lot of pre-cooking has been done, and we will have a total of 13 people for dinner tomorrow. That's a relatively small group for us; one year we had 25 people and no, my house really isn't that big, but the holiday spirit prevailed. This is, I think, our 17th consecutive year hosting the T-Day festivities and we pretty much have it down by now.

This year I'm thankful for the Prayer Closet gang. <3

• Love 16

Hi everyone. I'm not going to make it through all the posts of the last couple of days, but I'm checking in to wish my fellow Americans a Happy Thanksgiving (and if you're in another country, you go ahead and have a Happy Day too).

DD1 arrived this morning on the red-eye from LA and DD2 is expected within the next hour. The house is more or less clean, beds ready for overnight guests, a lot of pre-cooking has been done, and we will have a total of 13 people for dinner tomorrow. That's a relatively small group for us; one year we had 25 people and no, my house really isn't that big, but the holiday spirit prevailed. This is, I think, our 17th consecutive year hosting the T-Day festivities and we pretty much have it down by now.

This year I'm thankful for the Prayer Closet gang. <3

Sounds like it is going to be a great day for you JenC. Enjoy your day!

• Love 3

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you "sparks" here in the closet:

"At times, our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." Albert Schweitzer

• Love 13

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you "sparks" here in the closet:

"At times, our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." Albert Schweitzer

Never heard that quote before - love it. Happy Thanksgiving & Birthday Almost.

• Love 3

Happy Blessings Day would just be another holiday at the Duggars, but one where each blessing would have to have a present for mom and dad.  Since the blessings have no jobs, that's kind of hard.   It's hard to imagine the amount of boredom and lack of imagination that whole family lives with.  It's enough to make me downright proud of my energy and riches (ahem) (cough cough)

• Love 3

Okay. Hmmm. 

It was me that wished everyone a Happy Occult Day. I have a calendar that lists all the crazy, out-there, goofy "National Days", like Soup Day, Sock Day, Sandwich Day (that's my favorite !!!) and on and on. I never meant to imply that I was a member of the occult, or that I was against anyone who was...

I thought it would be a funny day in light of the oh-so Godly, spiritual, holy, perfect Duggwads. You know, like ooooh, booga-booga, I'm gonna eat your brains and worship Satan, you denim-jumper wearing assholes ! 

Hope you all took in in the spirit in which it was given. I feel like freaking Urkel here...

"Did I do that... ?!?!"

Hugs to all of you, you big turkeys ! 

• Love 14

Happy Thanksgiving!! I can't wait to read about everyone's celebrations. To all the Thanksgiving Day shoppers out there - may you find a bargain or two. I would really love to be a fly on the wall at the TTH. Poor Jana, Jinger & Joy, having to bake all the individual Stouffer's turkey dinners will be time consuming. Anna can add the gray colored green bean casserole to the feast. Maybe they'll even break out the good Chinet plates.

• Love 2

We are flying across the country today with the turkey dinner tomorrow with the family. We started this for some forgettable reason a few years back and we all like it. Airport is less crowded. Tickets are cheaper and family has an extra day to get ready. We gave up on Black Friday a long time ago.

• Love 7