Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I would probably be just looking too. Being from the northeast, tornados are something from movies and tv. It seems unreal to me that they can cause such devastation. I admire the courage of those who deal with them constantly.

• Love 4

I'm currently sitting in a bathtub hiding from a tornado... Y'all better get posting to keep me entertained for the next 30 minutes.

Well it's been 30 minutes so I hope all is safe.

Funny story. I live in Southern California (as in tornadoes don't happen where I live). Several years ago we were having really really bad storms and I was unemployed, home at noon watching the news. And right when I turned on the local news the newscaster said "If you live near [exactly where I live] take shelter now." Um. 2nd floor corner apartment in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. Where hell was I going to take shelter? I don't have any inside rooms, including the bathroom and all I could do was imagine a tornado tearing down the parking lot street right into my living room and freak out on Facebook. So a friend from the mid-west called me, told me to go look outside for a wall cloud. Nope, nothing. Asked me about my apartment and gave me a suggestion to shelter in if necessary but don't panic unless I see a wall cloud.

Turns out there were water spouts they thought would make land and a couple did. A small one uprooted a tree in my parents neighborhood. But nothing near me.

• Love 3

I'm currently sitting in a bathtub hiding from a tornado... Y'all better get posting to keep me entertained for the next 30 minutes.

I was up till 2 am working on a deadline. I read you were hiding from a tomato! I think I need to go back to sleep lol. - I hope you stay safe and the tornado does not cause any damages.
  • Love 3

I live in south Florida (ft lauderdale) tornados aren't common here, but I'm from Texas so it's not completely unfamiliar to me. There aren't many rooms in my house without windows so we were in my sisters bathroom. I haven't ventured outside yet but I don't think anything major happened. The good news is I'm guessing the severe weather was brought on by a cold front, so we may finally get to enjoy temps under 80 like the rest of the country.

The craziest/funniest thing is that on Sundays WE runs a Roseanne marathon, and at the exact time my phone went off with the tornado warning, the same thing was happening on Roseanne... It was the tornado episode... It seriously couldn't have been timed better... Down to them looking for shelter at the exact time we were.

• Love 7

I live in south Florida (ft lauderdale) tornados aren't common here, but I'm from Texas so it's not completely unfamiliar to me. There aren't many rooms in my house without windows so we were in my sisters bathroom. I haven't ventured outside yet but I don't think anything major happened. The good news is I'm guessing the severe weather was brought on by a cold front, so we may finally get to enjoy temps under 80 like the rest of the country.

The craziest/funniest thing is that on Sundays WE runs a Roseanne marathon, and at the exact time my phone went off with the tornado warning, the same thing was happening on Roseanne... It was the tornado episode... It seriously couldn't have been timed better... Down to them looking for shelter at the exact time we were.

I'm glad your safe. Maybe they should have a severe weather closet thread on here to go along with the prayer closet. Edited by BrianJ62

I was up till 2 am working on a deadline. I read you were hiding from a tomato! I think I need to go back to sleep lol. - I hope you stay safe and the tornado does not cause any damages.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!!!!!!!!! 

• Love 6

burlsa, I hope you realize that not only did you have a enormous part in stopping the ww fraud but you were our cheerleader, too, telling us not to feel like we had been foolish or stupid but that we are just a bunch of kind and caring people.  And that this is really a very special group of people.  I hope and pray you continue to feel comfortable posting whatever you need to.  But more important, I hope and pray you get a good diagnosis of your health problems and can be treated successfully.  Blessings and love to you and your awesome mom  <3

• Love 11

When my kids were little I took them to the North Pole in Cascade, CO near Colorado Springs. Suddenly a bad storm appeared while we were on the tiny ferris wheel... we were let off one by one. (from sunny moment to sudden hail and rain) We ran to the nearest building which was an ice cream shop.

After the storm was over, the sun came back out...we were told a tornado had touched down in nearby Green Mtn Falls (in the mountains!) and I felt sick...for I had taken the kids into a glass building. I still have nightmares every now and then about them being injured even tho my daughter is gone. I know, I know... but I guess I have to have nightmares about something!!

• Love 1

burlsa, I hope you realize that not only did you have a enormous part in stopping the ww fraud but you were our cheerleader, too, telling us not to feel like we had been foolish or stupid but that we are just a bunch of kind and caring people.  And that this is really a very special group of people.  I hope and pray you continue to feel comfortable posting whatever you need to.  But more important, I hope and pray you get a good diagnosis of your health problems and can be treated successfully.  Blessings and love to you and your awesome mom  <3

Love this post i was trying to say that but it came out way different.

When my kids were little I took them to the North Pole in Cascade, CO near Colorado Springs. Suddenly a bad storm appeared while we were on the tiny ferris wheel... we were let off one by one. (from sunny moment to sudden hail and rain) We ran to the nearest building which was an ice cream shop.

After the storm was over, the sun came back out...we were told a tornado had touched down in nearby Green Mtn Falls (in the mountains!) and I felt sick...for I had taken the kids into a glass building. I still have nightmares every now and then about them being injured even tho my daughter is gone. I know, I know... but I guess I have to have nightmares about something!!

Hi jellybeans nice to see you posting today.  I would still be having nightmares also.

Edited by amitville
  • Love 4

Love this post i was trying to say that but it came out way different.

Hi jelybeans nice to see you posting today.  I would still be having nightmares also.

Oh thank you... just trying to get this "thankful week" over with. :-p

• Love 7

Oh man getting ready to go on a trip. I hate packing, I try to pack light so my spouse doesn't make fun of me, we fight more before a trip, he's already ragging on me for checking my bag ...on a non-stop flight ha, we are going to spend a week with my mother who is a nut (not in a good way sadly), and my anxiety goes way up because I despise flying and I'd rather sit at home just vegetating when I don't have to work. Because I'm tired. Ugh why do retired people who don't do anything all day just assume we have energy?

And I wish I had pizza crust because said spouse evidently expects me to make dinner. What's with men who can't cook anyway?

Ok crabby post all done, checking that off my list.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 3

Oh thank you... just trying to get this "thankful week" over with. :-p

Jellybeans - I am doing the same.  Certainly not to compare to the loss of a child, which, I can only imagine is the worst pain possible.  My baby brother, born on Thanksgiving Day the year he was born, killed himself 13 years ago.  I was 9 years older than him and partially raised him while my mother was depressed lying on the couch.  We were very close.  I was shocked.  Not a day goes by that mr. lookeyloo and I don't talk about him, think about him, remember something. And now his birthday is coming up.   so while I can't exactly feel your pain, I do know it is deep.  Sending ff hugs.  

• Love 11

Jellybeans - I am doing the same.  Certainly not to compare to the loss of a child, which, I can only imagine is the worst pain possible.  My baby brother, born on Thanksgiving Day the year he was born, killed himself 13 years ago.  I was 9 years older than him and partially raised him while my mother was depressed lying on the couch.  We were very close.  I was shocked.  Not a day goes by that mr. lookeyloo and I don't talk about him, think about him, remember something. And now his birthday is coming up.   so while I can't exactly feel your pain, I do know it is deep.  Sending ff hugs.  

Hugs to you lookey & you as well Jelly.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 5

Thanks. Posts like yours give me insight into my son's feelings. He and his sister were very close. We handle our grief differently for sure. He does not like the holidays either and every time I mention putting the tree up he cringes.

• Love 4

I watched Going Clear and then I read the book, which I just finished a few days ago.

I can't even look at Tom Cruise's face anymore.

I never warmed up to Tom Cruise, but before now, I could never pinpoint why. Twas a mystery - actually made me feel a little bad sometimes too. But not anymore. I think it was "bad vibes" from the beginning, and that I should trust my own "gut" reactions a little more. 

• Love 4

Was anyone else (besides me) trying to figure out why there would be a marathon (to run in) that has Rosanne's name associated with it? lol

TV marathon (of shows) I believe.

I never warmed up to Tom Cruise, but before now, I could never pinpoint why. Twas a mystery - actually made me feel a little bad sometimes too. But not anymore. I think it was "bad vibes" from the beginning, and that I should trust my own "gut" reactions a little more. 

Don't care for TC either. And I'm going to follow your lead, weather I feel a little bad or not.

Was anyone else (besides me) trying to figure out why there would be a marathon (to run in) that has Rosanne's name associated with it? lol

Count me in. (And I haven't even had my afternoon pain meds yet.) I was actually thinking what charity would sponsor Roseanne's race that goes by the letters "WE". I'm blaming my misinterpretation on being awake most of the night last night & then getting up earlier than usual. I'm blaming that on the insomnia posts from yesterday.

Tornado sirens went off during my undergraduate thesis defense. I was a religious studies major so I found the timing a bit unnerving.

Kitty had to go to the emergency vet. She was very dehydrated and listless. She's had anti-nausea medicine and subcutaneous fluids. She napping and purring so I think she feels better. But I'll be up all night with her again just to be sure.

• Love 6

I'm sure everyone has been concerned that after my pizza making dinner triumph last night about how I would top it... Well tonight's dinner was grilled cheese with bacon and tater tots... From a restaurant, you can't win it all.

Whoever suggested garlic cream sauce (sorry I forgot I wanted to quote it until I was already in this message, and if I go back it'll be a hassle) that sounds amazing... I've had it before from other places, but it would be easy to make.

The place where I always order pizza makes an awesome garlic sauce for their "white" pizza. Nary a tomato in sight. It is SO good it can actually make me moan - no kidding. Consists solely of pureed raw garlic, a little best-quality extra-virgin olive oil and seasonings [rosemary, oregano. salt, freshly-ground black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes]. Unbelievably delicious. They make chicken wings with this sauce too - oy. I know the owner and am always telling him he should bottle this stuff. I'd buy at least a quart each month. It would be delicious on hot cooked pasta. Or on oven-toasted baguette slices. Or layered in a vegetable lasagna. Or as a topping for baked potatoes or steamed veggies. Or stirred into mashed potatoes. Truth be told, I'm pretty sure I could happily eat it right out of the jar. But without a doubt it's at its best sitting atop a hot pizza with lots of nummy toppings.

• Love 4
Kitty had to go to the emergency vet. She was very dehydrated and listless. She's had anti-nausea medicine and subcutaneous fluids. She napping and purring so I think she feels better. But I'll be up all night with her again just to be sure.

Is she purring happily or a bit obsessively? Because we had a very sick cat once which we didn't worry about early enough as she was purring, so we thought she was probably fine. But it turns out that sometimes if something is really bothering them, they will go into a sort of hyper-purring mode as sort of a self-soothing behavior.

• Love 1

Is she purring happily or a bit obsessively? Because we had a very sick cat once which we didn't worry about early enough as she was purring, so we thought she was probably fine. But it turns out that sometimes if something is really bothering them, they will go into a sort of hyper-purring mode as sort of a self-soothing behavior.

Thanks for your concern! It's her regular purring. She wasn't purring at all this morning, which is a sign that she's sick - she's normally a super-purrer. She had some water and did a little grooming and is now sleeping peacefully. This same thing happened the last time she took the same antibiotic for a UTI. Now I'm mad at myself for not insisting that she be given a shot instead of the liquid antibiotic in the first place. But, I did bring her home from the animal hospital rather than leave her overnight which was their recommendation. She's so stressed at the vet that I know she's better off here, plus the last time this happened she was fine after some fluids and anti-nausea meds, so I thought it was best to bring her home.

• Love 7

Bahahahaha... If you knew me in real life it would be funnier, it's probably more likely that Roseanne would sponsor a marathon than I would run one.

The place where I always order pizza makes an awesome garlic sauce for their "white" pizza. Nary a tomato in sight. It is SO good it can actually make me moan - no kidding. Consists solely of pureed raw garlic, a little best-quality extra-virgin olive oil and seasonings [rosemary, oregano. salt, freshly-ground black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes]. Unbelievably delicious. They make chicken wings with this sauce too - oy. I know the owner and am always telling him he should bottle this stuff. I'd buy at least a quart each month. It would be delicious on hot cooked pasta. Or on oven-toasted baguette slices. Or layered in a vegetable lasagna. Or as a topping for baked potatoes or steamed veggies. Or stirred into mashed potatoes. Truth be told, I'm pretty sure I could happily eat it right out of the jar. But without a doubt it's at its best sitting atop a hot pizza with lots of nummy toppings.

Where do you live? So I can figure out where I'll be moving...lol

• Love 3

Bahahahaha... If you knew me in real life it would be funnier, it's probably more likely that Roseanne would sponsor a marathon than I would run one.

Where do you live? So I can figure out where I'll be moving...lol

You may not need to move. I'm seriously trying to get this concoction bottled commercially. First locally, then nationally. I'm always telling him "I'm trying to have your ship come in, Steve. I'm trying to make your millions for you. Why do you fight me on it?" LOL. My family switched from red to white pizza almost as soon as we tried the white, back in the late 80s I think. And we've never looked back. We've tried white garlic pizzas from virtually every place in our area [unbelievably some of the national chains still do not offer white sauce] and hands down, this little hometown shop near me is simply superlative. I won't quit until Steve bottles his "garlic puree" which is what he calls the sauce, or until, at the very least, he agrees to sell me a quart or two about once a month.

• Love 6

Keep posting Burlsa - you've earned your gold stars for the year with the WW busting.  

Sometimes we get overwhelmed with our problems, it happens to me. I know sometimes I feel as if I just can't handle any more bad news, it doesn't mean I don't care.

I totally get this - had to apologize to the Mini Malotte the other day for going off on a tangent. I wasn't even really peeved at her, it was a general peeved but she said something that set me off.  Unfortunately when I'm this stressed I can dial it up the ole Wench O Matic Meter on my mouth from 0 to 120 in three seconds.  It's pissing me off too because I'm usually a fairly rational look at the bigger picture kind of person but I had total mental melt last Wednesday and honestly couldn't even get a grip onto what to fix for dinner.  I wasn't sleeping well either, worrying about how my grandmother was now going to adapt to nursing home life.  I feel really silly because we went and saw her today and she's fine.  There's an adapting process going on mind you, but she's already chatty with the other gals she has meals with, and told my mother that she couldn't wait for some of the upcoming holiday activities.  Thank heavens!

• Love 6

Not a tornado fan. There was a warning here last week, but I was gone for it.  And today we have 6+ inches of snow on the ground.  Weather is weird.

I wish I could share the beautiful roses my neighbor brought me yesterday to cheer me up. Seems like way too many people here are dealing with so much grief.  I wish everyone well.

• Love 1

The mention of Colorado Springs reminds me of a time, several decades ago, when I went to the Cave of the Winds (I think that's the name). When you get all the way to the bottom, they turn off the lights. It was at that very moment that I remembered: "Holy crap! I'm claustrophobic. What am I doing here?" Fortunately, the lights came by on and we went on our way.

• Love 1

You may not need to move. I'm seriously trying to get this concoction bottled commercially. First locally, then nationally. I'm always telling him "I'm trying to have your ship come in, Steve. I'm trying to make your millions for you. Why do you fight me on it?" LOL. My family switched from red to white pizza almost as soon as we tried the white, back in the late 80s I think. And we've never looked back. We've tried white garlic pizzas from virtually every place in our area [unbelievably some of the national chains still do not offer white sauce] and hands down, this little hometown shop near me is simply superlative. I won't quit until Steve bottles his "garlic puree" which is what he calls the sauce, or until, at the very least, he agrees to sell me a quart or two about once a month.

That's awesome! I'm actually not a huge fan of red sauce, it's ok, I don't hate it, but if I had a choice I would pick white. I have yet to find a truly good white sauce, the only chains I've had white sauce from is cici's and california pizza kitchen (I actually worked at cpk for a while) and neither were great.

The whole tornado debacle was ridiculous, it was sunny a couple of hours later, and unbearably humid. I'm from Texas so I'm no stranger to bipolar weather. I wasn't too terribly worried about a tornado, based on my previous tornado experience it didn't seem likely, but I know that can change quickly, and we needed to gather the 4 dogs at my house to their respective bathrooms so we went ahead and gathered everyone.

True story... When I was little I was terrified of thunderstorms. I remember there being a year with a particularly bad storm season where we had severe thunderstorms seemingly daily. I knew the beep and scrolling ticker meant something was going on, but I couldn't read fast enough to read them (I think I was 1st or 2nd grade... I could read but not fast and not the more complicated words) I remember being at my grandparents once when the ticker started and I asked my grandmom what it was, she totally lied to me and said it was the weather for people who went to bed early before the 10 o'clock news. That story really has nothing to do with anything other than I just think it's funny.

• Love 5

Since when is Thanksgiving Week a thing? I work at a community college, and our district only gives students (and employees) the typical four-day weekend. 

I am apparently in the wrong branch of education! LOL

I'm sorry, I want to apologize.  It's not you or anyone here it's me.  I never got involved in the whole WW fake baby drama and didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings in any way.  I tried to give Burlsa some hope that it probably wasn't MS.  Anyway I apologize to those here that I may have offended.  It is up to me to avoid issues I don't like to think about and not up to others to change their ways.  Good luck to everyone here with whatever they are dealing with and it's nice that you support each other even if  can't and I wish you all well.

Imho, your apology really is not necessary. You spoke what you felt and that's a function of any forum. And you were not alone in your thinking. I, like you, at times felt that the convo affected me in an almost overwhelmingly depressing way. I was supportive and empathetic but began to feel so much weight that I would skim through posts and consequently miss topics.

I don't think that any of us thought it was okay to "allow" WW free rein and I appreciate that the con was busted. Not even sure how that relates to this issue. And not sure what kind of tracking was needed to discover the con. I've read many posts that strain credulity and just roll my eyes and try to move on. But reach a point...

I hope you were not PM-flamed for your feelings and your opinions.

Be well.

(don't worry, all. I won't let the door hit me. but maybe that's the desired effect.)

• Love 8

Since when is Thanksgiving Week a thing? I work at a community college, and our district only gives students (and employees) the typical four-day weekend.

I think it depends on the district, when I was in school we always got the whole week off, but I think some districts do a fall break that we didn't do that. Once I went to college, I'm trying to remember but I think we only got wed-fri off. I also grew up in Houston, where we rarely had to use bad weather days, maybe 1-2 in a year, so maybe we could afford more days off than some regions that inevitably had to use more with snow days etc.

I can't imagine the schools that go monday/ Tuesday are hugely productive those 2 days, but I know schools have to be open a certain number of days so I don't fault them for having school.

I have no excuse, but I was also totally wondering why the WE channel had a marathon run honoring Rosanne. Now I feel silly (but not alone).

Tornadoes are terrifying to this California lady. I crept into my little brother's room every time there was an even moderate wind for years after seeing the Wizard of Oz. Many decades later, after visiting relatives in Joplin 6 months post-tornado, and seeing the one mile devastation, I can't imagine living where this threat is real every year. ( And yes, I am also terrified of earthquakes.)

Special hugs to JELLYBEANS, LOOKEYLOO, SKITTLE, and all of you dealing with recent, or not-so-recent, losses.

• Love 2

There's a couple of us in the LBC, right?

So can I just say I am so over this hot cold weather? It was 90 today.Thankfully my apt didn't heat up like it does in the summer but seriously, enough. I have fall / winter clothes I want to wear!

Also, 2nd street is pretty deserted on Black Friday. It's awesome to wander into the Gap and all those stores without the mall insanity!

• Love 1

I know around here they kept shortening the school year, and some of the extra days off included making it Thanksgiving Week. I don't know why exactly, but maybe it makes it less obvious to non-parents that the kids are getting so many fewer instructional days. Then I noticed more and more adults taking the whole week off even if they aren't traveling because their kids are now out of school for the whole week.

Sew Sumi, I taught at a community college, and we got a full week off for Thanksgiving. It is located between Big State U and a smaller state college, and part of the reason is so our break would line up with their breaks, since some faculty worked at two of the three schools, and we had students who took classes at our school and one of the others. It was nice. At one point, the state asked us all (employees of all 3 schools) if we'd like to keep the full week off or switch to a long weekend fall break in October and a long weekend Thanksgiving, and we voted to keep the week long Thanksgiving. You can get a LOT done in a week bracketed by 2 weekends (be it stuff at home, travel, or, as always, grade papers. )

Marge, I hope your kitty is on the mend. One of mine went through a rough patch part of September and all of October (including surgery). She's 11, and it took her quite a while to recover, but she's at 95%. I know she's feeling good when she's griping about everything. I stayed up with her the night after her surgery, she would get thirsty, put her head in the water dish, then fall asleep with her eyes open. I'd see her blowing bubbles through her nose and realize she was out, so I'd gently pull her head out of the dish. I stayed with her until the anasthesia fully wore off; I was afraid she'd drown in the water dish!

• Love 3

I know around here they kept shortening the school year, and some of the extra days off included making it Thanksgiving Week. I don't know why exactly, but maybe it makes it less obvious to non-parents that the kids are getting so many fewer instructional days. Then I noticed more and more adults taking the whole week off even if they aren't traveling because their kids are now out of school for the whole week.

In NY and NJ the kids have to attend school for 180 days.  That's the law.  How the vacations are divided up in NJ is up to each school district.  My kids get 1/2 day on Wednesday and are back to school on Monday.

• Love 1

Tornado sirens went off during my undergraduate thesis defense. I was a religious studies major so I found the timing a bit unnerving.

I hope your kitty gets well soon! My kitty suffers from chronic UTIs/cystitis, and I always feel so bad for her. I also worry over her, too. As far as cats puking, the first time I ever heard it happening was in the middle of the night, and I freaked out. It sounds horrible! Now I'm used to it but it still wakes me up when it happens in the middle of the night.

• Love 3

Sorry for the late response (I've been really busy lately), but Burlsa, I don't have a lot of knowledge on disability, but I did do testing for it a few years ago (and a bit last year) when people applied for disability and had anything that warranted a psych evaluation. I talked with a lot of them about the process. it was pretty stressful. Many would have to reapply multiple times until getting it. My own uncle had to go to court and was fighting for disability for the last year and a half and finally won. Usually, even if your doctor sends in medical records, they still send you to doctors that work for disability. Granted, this is all information in my own state, and it may be different than yours.

• Love 2

In NY and NJ the kids have to attend school for 180 days.  That's the law.  How the vacations are divided up in NJ is up to each school district.  My kids get 1/2 day on Wednesday and are back to school on Monday.

Yeah that's what it used to be here in California too. Then they dropped it to 175 at some point, maybe 5 years ago?  I think some districts were even less, and some kept it at 180, but the ones around me are/were all 175. I'm not sure what it is anymore since my Mom retired from teaching.

Could you all imagine the Duggar clan going storm chasing?

I figure since they are so ill-educated if educated at all, they would chase the wrong things. They would probably end up in the middle of a lake or going off a bridge.  I could hope they would chase a storm, catch up to it, and go flying a la the wizard of Oz.  Duggars, scattered to the corners of the world, trying to find their way home with no concept of geography.  Now that could be an interesting show.  Unfortunately TLC wouldn't let them starve to death in the wilderness.  And if Mechelle got separated from JB, who would she stare at in her stoned, adoring way. 

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 2

There's a couple of us in the LBC, right?

So can I just say I am so over this hot cold weather? It was 90 today.Thankfully my apt didn't heat up like it does in the summer but seriously, enough. I have fall / winter clothes I want to wear!

Also, 2nd street is pretty deserted on Black Friday. It's awesome to wander into the Gap and all those stores without the mall insanity!

Yes, THEREDHEAD77, I have uggs, turtlenecks, fuzzy socks and jackets neglected and just wondering why they never get out of the closet. So DONE with hot weather!

• Love 1

Sew Sumi, I taught at a community college, and we got a full week off for Thanksgiving. It is located between Big State U and a smaller state college, and part of the reason is so our break would line up with their breaks, since some faculty worked at two of the three schools, and we had students who took classes at our school and one of the others. It was nice. At one point, the state asked us all (employees of all 3 schools) if we'd like to keep the full week off or switch to a long weekend fall break in October and a long weekend Thanksgiving, and we voted to keep the week long Thanksgiving. You can get a LOT done in a week bracketed by 2 weekends (be it stuff at home, travel, or, as always, grade papers. )

Nope. The 4-years around here (the biggie being UC Berkeley) have school through Wednesday as well, which I find incredibly stupid since so many kids go home for the holidays, often several states away. Heck, even SoCal is a 6 hour drive! 

I think the community colleges here line up more with the public school academic calendar, since so many of our students are re-entry with kids of their own. I know our spring break lines up that way, rather than the earlier March dates that the 4 year kids have that are better aligned with midterms. 

• Love 1