Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Have a question. Family members parents are  bible followers.  Very judgmental of others yet are in arrears on social security payments. I could go on forever about their hypocrisy. One of them got a multiple organ transplant. I am sure at some point it will be said that THEIR prayers were answered. Do you respond to that or just get up and walk away. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, jacourt said:

Have a question. Family members parents are  bible followers.  Very judgmental of others yet are in arrears on social security payments. I could go on forever about their hypocrisy. One of them got a multiple organ transplant. I am sure at some point it will be said that THEIR prayers were answered. Do you respond to that or just get up and walk away. 

Depends on how much you value the relationship(s), how often you have to interact with them.  On one hand, you could call them out on their hypocrisy and you'll probably feel better but the chances that they'll take it to heart and become better people are virtually nil.  What will probably happen is they will get angry and defensive and tell you all of the many ungodly flaws you possess which will end up casting a pall over future gatherings that include both you and them.  If they're your mom's or grandmom's closest relatives who she loves dearly, you also need to take mom or grandma's feelings into account and decide if it is worth causing her distress by getting the relatives riled up.

If you're never going to see them again and don't care if you do; then tell them off if it makes you feel better.  Otherwise, think twice because the repercussions are great and the chances that they will change their ways are very small.

You could always act incredulous and question their statements by saying stuff like 'why would you say that?' or 'Do you think God didn't answer the prayers of the person who died so you could get their organs?'  Or 'what about Uncle Fred?  He died of kidney failure, did God not like him?'  But, if their beliefs are so simplistic that they think it is all about God answering their prayers because they're so much better than everyone else; they won't understand your questions anyway.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 22
21 hours ago, jacourt said:

My in-laws were like this. There was no way to have a sane conversation about the hypocrisy (something good happened: "prayers answered", something bad happened: "god's will"), so I'd just smile and nod. Maintaining a civil relationship was important for my husband and for our children, so I just didn't engage. 

• Like 6
22 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I have been staying with my 3 oldest grands this week while their parents and the littler ones are off to a conference.

Something unexpected and crazy usually happens when I stay with them. Last night we had an extremely unexpected event. Started with a tornado watch, so the 2 boys were eating dinner in the basement while watching the TV weather. All of a sudden it was "tornado on the ground!! take cover! take cover!"  We could see on the map it was close and headed our way. We moved to a storage area with no windows.

Multiple tornadoes, closest was EF2 about a mile from the house. We had 24 hr power outage, but other than that all is ok for us. The boys got a good lesson about gathering all the stuff you might need when it is a watch, so you are ready to shelter if needed. We had snacks, drinks, blankets, flashlights and a tablet to watch the news.

Other kid was still at school for an activity and texted they were sheltered in a hallway doing the "keep your head down and hold your backpack over it' safety procedure.

It was all rather frightening.

Good for you for taking care of everyone. I grew up in tornado country and know how scary it can be (moved to earthquake country...). Glad everyone is okay and you showed them how to do it the right way!

• Like 10
On 5/8/2024 at 7:54 PM, crazy8s said:

I have been staying with my 3 oldest grands this week while their parents and the littler ones are off to a conference.

Something unexpected and crazy usually happens when I stay with them. Last night we had an extremely unexpected event. Started with a tornado watch, so the 2 boys were eating dinner in the basement while watching the TV weather. All of a sudden it was "tornado on the ground!! take cover! take cover!"  We could see on the map it was close and headed our way. We moved to a storage area with no windows.

Multiple tornadoes, closest was EF2 about a mile from the house. We had 24 hr power outage, but other than that all is ok for us. The boys got a good lesson about gathering all the stuff you might need when it is a watch, so you are ready to shelter if needed. We had snacks, drinks, blankets, flashlights and a tablet to watch the news.

Other kid was still at school for an activity and texted they were sheltered in a hallway doing the "keep your head down and hold your backpack over it' safety procedure.

It was all rather frightening.

mercy - that had to be scary. on our recent trip to texas, there were storms all weekend and watches all around us. there were tornados in the greater area but not close enough to us to be in shelter. i was a wreck the whole time.

• Hugs 8
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

mercy - that had to be scary. on our recent trip to texas, there were storms all weekend and watches all around us. there were tornados in the greater area but not close enough to us to be in shelter. i was a wreck the whole time.

it was scary. The boys were scared, but they did not realize, and I did not tell them, the sound we could hear was actually a tornado. It was right over us just before it touched down.

The laugh of the night came while we were sheltering and their parents called to reassure the boys. 5 yr old with them is trying to figure out where we were. Utility room was no help. I said the room where the puzzles and stuff are. She says "oh well that's good then if you get bored you can do puzzles with your flashlights on" 😂 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

My casual acquaintance son passed last month. I sent her a text today. I hope she is not mad at me for writing her on moms day.

It’s a hard day for orphans and if you not a mom it’s a weird day too. 

And it’s raining and cold, not a good day for me. 

• Hugs 13

I'm so @beckie...

Glad you and the grands are OK @crazy8s. My DIL was caught in the storms Wednesday. She was trying to help a friend between storms and got caught outside when an a tornado spun up. She was hit by a portion of a tree that broke off. She has a lot of staples in her head, 3 cracked vertebrae, and bumps/bruises, but it could have been so much worse. I kept the 3 smaller grands for a few days while she got her feet back under her a bit (my son too). The other grandma kept the oldest because she lives closer to his school. Just thankful the kids weren't with her (they would have been so terrified) and she will be OK after some healing.

• Hugs 16
22 hours ago, Turquoise said:

My DIL was caught in the storms Wednesday. She was trying to help a friend between storms and got caught outside when an a tornado spun up. She was hit by a portion of a tree that broke off. She has a lot of staples in her head, 3 cracked vertebrae, and bumps/bruises, but it could have been so much worse. I kept the 3 smaller grands for a few days while she got her feet back under her a bit (my son too). The other grandma kept the oldest because she lives closer to his school. Just thankful the kids weren't with her (they would have been so terrified) and she will be OK after some healing.

Oh my gosh that is so bizarre and terrifying for all involved. I hope your daughter is able to heal quickly and you and others are able to help her as needed.

• Like 9