Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E08: Hot Sexy Knights

• Start Topic

Gah!  That two-week wait was tedious and tiresome, especially over a totally unnecessary awards show!  But I'm so glad it's finally over and that this show is BACK!

It was a good episode.  Malta looks beautiful!  Surprised to see everyone switch Detours, though.  And of course, an elimination that was pretty much guaranteed, based on last week's last-place finishers, the Speed Bump, and their lack of any real edge in the race.

So now the teams:

Adam & Bethany: Loved how they didn't get frustrated with delivering their trays of wine.  They just cleaned up, picked up, and moved on.  Bethany killed that rappelling/swimming Roadblock, too, and they wisely used their Express Pass when they needed to so they could win their second leg!  Great job to them!

Misti & Jim: I'll give them their due.  Business, as usual.  They dropped their glasses once, but finished the task, and Misti did fine at the Roadblock.  At least we saw they're not a perfect team when they missed the Detour clue for quite some time, but they doubled back, picked the one better-suited to them, and recovered to come in second.  Not a bad leg at all.

Kym & Alli: So these two are the actual disliked team among the group, not Misti & Jim.  Nothing wrong with running their own race, but Jet & Cord learned the hard way in all three of their seasons that that can have a negative effect on you socially.  Still, good work to be one of only two teams to finish the tray balancing on their first try (the other being Brooke & Robbie).  And Alli just killed the Roadblock, so kudos to her!  I appreciate them not fighting too much about switching from the Flag Detour to the Shine one, but they really struggled with finding it and even doing it if Misti & Jim, who had to be held up to find the Detour clue, could still manage to pass them.  Still, respectable third place.

Amy & Maya: Sorry about your leg, Amy.  Hurt it before the race?  That's rough!  And even rougher was seeing them keep dropping their trays the way they did.  Amy did a good job to pass Robbie at the Roadblock, though.  And good on them being one of the only teams to actually find the Detour clue without following someone else to it.  Though of course, they blow that away with once again getting lost and ending up at the Detour they didn't pick, and then having to switch from it because Amy's leg is too hurt to run.  Nonetheless, nice recovery by switching to Shine, even if they didn't finish it on their first try.  Deserving fourth place.  But get better at that navigation, ladies!

Brooke & Robbie: A leg full of errors from them.  They were one of only two teams to do the trays on their first try (the other being Kym & Alli).  They also were one of the only three teams to find the Detour clue without getting lost or confused.  But their good points ended there.  Robbie faltered at the swimming portion of the Roadblock and allowed Amy to pass him, and they switched Detours twice out of Brooke's frustration and impatience (and defeatism once more).  They're lucky Tim & Te Jay didn't even consider switching Detours (as well as them having their Speed Bump), or they would've been toast.

Tim & Te Jay: Aw.  Too bad.  They really did have a shot at keeping up when they finished the trays quickly and got in the first group heading out to the Roadblock, and Tim even finished it fast.  But they missed their Speed Bump and the Detour clue, probably struggled with trying to find their Speed Bump, and stubbornly stayed at what was clearly the wrong Detour for them.  They should've switched quickly and gone to Shine.  If they had, they'd probably still be in, and Brooke & Robbie would be gone.  Sorry to see you go, boys, but you brought this one on yourselves.

Fine, fine episode from a fine, fine season!  Can't wait till we hit Singapore next week! :)

• Love 2

OMG Brooke, STFU, ugh I can't take her anymore and her whining and her defeatist attitude. Robbie has got to be tired of assuring her to keep continuing on and just do the damn race. She complained about the Cyclist, complained about taxi, about the detour and roadblock, when does she give it rest. I so wanted them to be eliminated, just so I wouldn't have to hear her voice. All that switching between the detours I was silently praying for their dismissal and that T&T would get the flag and get them eliminated but no. Robbie is OK but Brooke not so much especially when she was making fun of the way Amy was walking/running because of her leg situation. Brooke is a tacky bitch.

The Dentist weren't shown a lot and thank goodness but they did good on the detour with the shining of the armor and loved when they were sitting down and gave themselves nicknames of "Molar" and "Bicuspid" too cute. I can root for them but Jim was still concerned about what place he's finishing in and then I see why I don't root for them.

Bethany was awesome again and just love her and Adam and glad they used the express pass and came in first and get to continue on. Just fear for them next week if they're committing "suicide" or not with a decision they make.

I for sure thought that the Scientist were gonna be eliminated but glad they weren't as they're underdogs now that T&T are eliminated. Loved Maya during a lap when checking into the pit stop.

That log detour just looked like a killer and don't think that anyone would have successfully done it. Sucks for T&T as they tried to finish it but just couldn't do it. Also loved seeing Phil announcing while the race is going on. 

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 8

Such an impressive leg!

Easily the best new-nation visit since the original trip to Denmark six seasons ago as well as the most worthwhile two-week wait for an episode in TAR history!

P.S. One of the greatest greeters ever!

Edited by Rusun
  • Love 6

Well, looks like things got a little snippier between teams and individuals tonight. And it looks like the wrong team went out.

I feel bad for Tim & Te Jay, whom I never got to tell apart. Going on the pole (dirty?) was too tough for all the teams, and it was a case where the last team to screw up would be eliminated. Brooke & Robbie were lucky that they had to swap out tasks; otherwise, Brooke would be complaining about stuff at the ol' Elimination Station. And the Candy Girls (cuter than "Sweet Scientists") are statistically racing on borrowed time, in terms of average placement.

And I know it's soooooo easy to criticize on the couch, and that I have no sense of balance to carrying a tray with one hand, but still . . . shut up, Brooke. Every week with the whining. Granted, the "Blind Detour" was a bit of a face smack, but I like Brooke when she's not whinging about how she can't do stuff. At least Robbie picks up the slack comically.

Felt bad for Bethany when she had to 1. drop the glasses in front of the jeering knights, 2. run back to the restaurant with Adam to get the broom and scooper, and 3. clean up and start over. But then Bethany rocked the Roadblock, and they passed on the Detour, even though they had the best chance of any of the teams of surviving the pole. I half-expected Phil to deduct a few thousand bucks for skipping the Detour, but no matter . . . they're still in the game, and I'm happy. Now . . . what would their anti-Cyclist codenames be?

Man, what was up with Maya running a lap? So cute.

Here's hoping T&T's respective families see them more than just roommates, and accept them for it.

• Love 1

Another fun episode and another location added to my bucket list. Malta is stunning! The roadblock looked like fun but the flag detour was impossible.

Funny, I also watch Survivor and there isn't really anyone I'm rooting for on that show, but I like all the teams on TAR. I even like Brooke. Maybe there are some I'd rather see win but I can't say I want any team to lose.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Malta! Great new location for the Race! Home of the Maltese Cross, the Knights of Malta, the Maltese Falcon, the filming location for the movie Popeye, and one of the top operatic tenors of our time.

Some good tasks too, though I do think the pole detour was really undoable. Even the Maltese guys lounging around, who presumably amuse themselves trying it all the time, can't do it reliably. Usually I think it's a bad idea to switch, but this is an exception.

• Love 1

The Maltese Falcon meant 2 things to me 1) we may be getting a memory based finale based on the Amazing Menagerie and 2) I WANT A FALCON.  If it can peck out Brooke's tongue, even better.  My god, she wouldn't even TRY to think positive.  

• Love 8

Sad to see Tim and TJ go.  I really thought he could get to that red flag.  Then they almost pulled it out with the polishing.

I hope the wrestlers go next. 

I'm on the Scientist's team, but anybody than the dentists.

• Love 6

Another great leg. I especially liked the blind detour, is this the first time for that? 

Because it can't be said enough, shut up Brooke.  She's such a mean girl. I was trying to be patient with her but her mocking the way Amy walks because she's injured just pushed me over the edge, they can go next. 

I don't understand all the other teams ganging up on the Cyclists, the Dentists have won more legs than anyone else and they seem to be good at getting the other teams to help take out their strongest competition.  I wonder if there's more we're not seeing that makes all the other teams anti-cyclists.

I was surprised no one seemed to have ever heard of Malta. Hasn't anyone seen or heard of the Maltese Falcon? Oh well.

I'm nervous for next week, not ready to see Adam and Bethany go.

• Love 2

Is there anything Bethany can't do?   She balanced a tray just fine.   She rappelled like a champ.   She swam while carrying the clue in her mouth.   I see them not doing the pole challenge as just common sense rather than something she finally couldn't do.   

Allow me onto the STFU Brooke train.   Man, everything is "I can't."   BTW, shouldn't she and Robbie have to start with a fresh (still rusted) suit of armour not pick up where they left off when they went back to polish after bailing on the pole.   

The Cyclists kinda bug.   First everyone boring and sticks in the muds.   Now when they want to just be by themselves and relax the others are wrong for wanting them to mingle.   I think the Cyclists think they are just cooler than everyone else on the whole planet.   

Are they going to Asia at all this season?   It's the 8th leg and they are back to Europe after Northern Africa.   Not a lot of geographical movement here.

• Love 5
Are they going to Asia at all this season?   It's the 8th leg and they are back to Europe after Northern Africa.   Not a lot of geographical movement here.

Seasons 3, 6, 12, and 17 say hi: they were at Switzerland, Corsica (France), Italy, and Oman, respectively, at this same point in their races. They're also as well-regarded as 25 is shaping up to be.

Great episode!,

STFU Brooke. I am tired of her whining and want her gone.

Bethany continues to rock. Damn that girl has guts and determination.

Sorry to see T&T go. I think if Tim had been able to get over his revulsion of the slime get might have made it.

Edited by Pepper the Cat

Hey!  The forums work again!  Yay!

Tonight's episode was brought to you by bitching and whining.  I know it's The Amazing Race and I should be immune to such things, but I'm not.  I'm really not.

I'm glad the gay dudes are gone.  And it hurt me a bit to say that because I'm gay myself, so I make the assumption that, because someone is gay, I have to be 100% behind them.  But their personalities were starting to grate, even more so than the Dentists and the Pro Wrestler lady.

The only thing I did like about this episode were the Italian dudes in Renaissance clothing.  I have a thing for guys in period costume and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  So thank you, Malta, for your period costume knight reenactors.  They look way better than some reenactors we have in America.  Takes more than calf-high boots and what look like sweatpants to pull off the Renaissance look.  Why did such fashion fall out of style?  Could it ever make a comeback?  Probably not, but a lonely fat gay man can dream.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

Well now we have a team to root against right?! Damm Brooke, shshhhh!!!!!!!!! Nice leg, fair results (still would rather the wrestlers to go of course). Now for next week, I really hope Brooke´s plain doesnt work and the Ciclysts either avoid the U-Turn or at least surprass another team... But I´m worried, while seems like Adam and Bethany will lose their place on the Fast Forward, I wouldnt trust the preview, I think it might be either the wrestlers or the cyclists going next week (really, really hoping for the first one, with would be great Brooke eliminated on a U-turn as a karma for wish to eliminate the cyclists on a U-turn, cause obviously thats the only way they could beat them..).

Edited by Guiaoshi

Unless something unexpected happens--always a possibility-- the final three look to be Dentists, Adam and Bethany, and Cyclists. The Fast Forward is always a risk but I'm betting it doesn't end up being suicidal for the surfers. Looks like the Dentists won't ever need the save; it's too bad a more marginal team didn't get it.

Did Brooke really have to do the gimp walk to make fun of Amy? That lady really does not know how to turn it down. Roobie's a saint for listening to her incessant whining, yet never snapping at her. 

Misty continues to be useless. "Here, hold this helmet for me." Misty looks dazed, into the distance, until noticing her husband is holding a crapton of stuff trying to hand it down to her. I actually really like Jim, and am getting annoyed with Misty's stepford wife smile. 

I like the non-bandanna wearing half of Team Cyclists, the other one is kind of perpetually nasty. She snips at her partner about everything because she doesn't do it exactly the way Bandanna wants it. You're in front, she rarely messes up, stfu and race. Same with T&T, won't miss them at all.

Food Scientists are doomed if Amy's leg stays that way. She wasn't a particularly strong racer even before she was obviously limping around. If there's any physical task upcoming, they're doomed. 

• Love 1

I can't totally root against the wrestlers since I now think Robbie is a saint for having to listen to Brooke on a daily basis. He deserves something for that effort. However, I'm not sure how much longer I can take her. If I was a taxi, I would avoid her too. With that caveat, I can say I'm still good with any of the remaining teams winning.

Malta is gorgeous. I'll add that to my list.

• Love 4

I'll even take Misty over Brooke any day of the week. Misty doesn't have that defeatist attitude and doesn't complain incessantly. Robbie does indeed deserve a medal for putting up with that damn behavior of Brooke's without snapping on her.

This has been on of TAR's best seasons, more racers like these minus the real estate bitches.

• Love 3

The Dentist weren't shown a lot and thank goodness but they did good on the detour with the shining of the armor and loved when they were sitting down and gave themselves nicknames of "Molar" and "Bicuspid" too cute. I can root for them but Jim was still concerned about what place he's finishing in and then I see why I don't root for them.

ShadowSixx, do you see how unintentionally hilarious your post is?  I though the nicknames were cute. 

• Love 3

Which woman was shown applying her false eyelashes? Was that Brooke or one of the cyclists? Really, false eyelashes. On a highly physical race. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Do those things stay on in water? Wondering if they fell off on the Flag detour.

Almost every team was shown snipping at each other. Brooke's "I can't do it", "OMG we're last" attitude is grating. Robbie is so patient. Like him a lot, her not so much.

Maya was snipping at Amy way too much, especially at the Flag detour. Amy couldn't run, and Maya got way too pissy about it. She turns to the camera and throws up her arms and says "we have to switch. She can't run." I swear there was a silent "she's useless" tacked on there.

Yellow flag cyclist got way too snippy at red flag trier. Sorry, still don't know which is which.

Yellow flag boyfriend with huge wart on nose got way too snippy at red flag trier. Don't know which is which either. Although I was cackling at red flag's tentative timid "run".

• Love 1

I couldn't figure out why so many racers were showing up at the Pit Stop with bruised faces until I realized it was probably from the polishing wax they were using on the armor.

Malta was stunning.

I know they 'only' took a ferry to go from Sicily to Malta but I would have appreciated an appearance by the Amazing Yellow Line, it helps me get oriented.

• Love 1

I couldn't figure out why so many racers were showing up at the Pit Stop with bruised faces until I realized it was probably from the polishing wax they were using on the armor.

Yea I thought that when Maya and Amy were at the pit stop I said what happened to Amy did she fall on the ground or get in a fight with the taxi driver, then realized it was the wax lol 

What, nobody's ever heard of Malta?  The island fortress whose people were collectively awarded the George Cross for heroism?

Cyclists want sit by themselves.  Why?  So they don't have to listen to Brooke!

Code names:  Molar & Bicuspid.  Heh.

Eeeek!  Bethany gets to the Knights, and then snatches failure from the jaws of...  I'm going to hell, aren't I?

Getting really tired of Brooke.  Let's hope her show is over.

Hey!  It's Phil!   Hmmm.   Memory challenge:  Where did you see Phil along the way?

Did you know Bethany has one arm?

What sort of bird is that?  A bird of prey in Malta?  Actually, it's not a bird, it's a Siamese Cat!  Sheesh!  But congratulations on a sensibly played Express Pass and a solid leg win.

Shut to fuck up, Brooke!  Her ass is her money-maker, by the way.  I guess she's sitting on a goldmine.

Chest bump in breatplates.  Food scientists depart for the pitstop.

You know, Te Jay is turning out to be quite a tool. Same thing last episode, and the one before!

Maya loves The Amazing Race.  I'm glad she and Amy are still in it.  

Phil talks with his pecs!  In a bit of a whisper...

T&T eliminated, and I'm not sorry.  They're unquestionably the worst team remaining, and Te Jay has tarnished due to his own behaviour.  I'd have been equally happy to see Brooke & Robbie go, but I'm OK with this result.

Next week, Amy flashes a boob, Bethany & Adam gamble on a Bold Move, and Molar falls off the flying trapeze!

• Love 2

I know it's already been said, but STFU Brooke, stop whining, stop complaining, stop stop STOP, I am sick of your voice. 

Bethany makes me feel inadequate.

Tim & Te Jay might have had a chance if they had decided to change challenges earlier, then they wouldn't have been eliminated & we wouldn't have to hear Brooke again.

• Love 4

Well, in spite of most teams' uncertainty about whether it was actually a country, Malta showed that it is the ancient home of the Knights of the Bald Snark.

The location was fantastic, but I can fault the leg's structure: the arduous serving task at the outset (bottle of Mateus? that brings back memories from many years ago!) translated at best into being in a bunch of three with a 15 minute advantage, while the Road Block was set up for the visuals and really didn't separate teams, meaning that everything was decided on the Detour, and mostly on how quickly teams switched to the polishing side. TBTB probably knew this which is why it was served up blind, and why nobody completed the greasy flagpole run. Oh, and perhaps a little too dependent on taxis, but hard to avoid that.

The only thing I did like about this episode were the Italian dudes in Renaissance clothing.

Maltese, Maltese. Malta is very much its own country. "Do you speak English?" was inadvertently hilarious, because after Maltese everyone learns English as a second language, and it's an official language of the state. Malta is also a very popular tourist destination with the British, in part because of 150 years of being a British colony before its independence in 1964.

Brooke is now just boring and whiny. Free Robbie! The plotting on the ferry about U-Turns makes me fear for the cyclists, even though the dentists ought to be the prime target, which is another reminder of how the bloody Save has warped the dynamics of an otherwise classic season.

Edited by etagloh
  • Love 5
The location was fantastic, but I can fault the leg's structure: the arduous serving task at the outset (bottle of Mateus? that brings back memories from many years ago!) translated at best into being in a bunch of three with a 15 minute advantage, while the Road Block was set up for the visuals and really didn't separate teams, meaning that everything was decided on the Detour, and mostly on how quickly teams switched to the polishing side. TBTB probably knew this which is why it was served up blind, and why nobody completed the greasy flagpole run. Oh, and perhaps a little too dependent on taxis, but hard to avoid that.

I got the impression they were deliberately divided into groups of three because there were only three ropes at the Blue Grotto.

Oh, and I don't think it would be good to ask them to drive on Malta. 

• Love 1

The flag detour looked impossible, but I think the cyclists might have had a shot if the one who wasn't afraid of heights had left the yellow flag for the one who was. 

In terms devious challenge design, that aspect of having an easy flag and a hard one seemed intended to create intra-team conflict, and it worked spectacularly.

I also wonder if Adam and Bethany could have completed it. They seemed to be adorably wistful about not even getting a chance to try. 

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

Well dang it, even though they were my two least favorite teams remaining, I did want Brooke and Robbie eliminated instead of T&T, not because of Brooke really but just because of their stupid antipathy toward the Cyclists.  Groan...I've had this feeling for a while that the Cyclists would become the target of a U-Turn, and I really hope they're not the next eliminated because of it.  Damn U-Turn, I wish they'd get rid of it.  I'll especially hate it if the Anti-Cyclist alliance does the same nasty trick as some previous group did in an earlier race, where Team #1 U-Turns the Cyclists, and Team #2 deliberately U-Turns another team (like Team #1) who they know has already passed the U-Turn point, just so the Cyclists won't be able to U-Turn anyone.  That's a real dirty trick and I hope the producers made it illegal since the first time someone did it.

Plus, putting it on the next leg seems like poor race design.  First off you have the Dentists who have the Save and can't be eliminated, so they seem like an unlikely target for U-Turning.  Then it appears that another team is going for the Fast Forward.  So the mostly likely U-turn targets would probably be 2 of the 3 remaining teams.  That really stacks the deck against those 3 teams.

I'm beginning to wonder if Maya is Manic.  If you thought her little lap at the Pit Stop was crazy, you should see her in the extra footage at the Pit Stop, where she's talking and moving non-stop with almost a wild look in her eyes.  It's a little frightening!

I'll even take Misty over Brooke any day of the week. Misty doesn't have that defeatist attitude and doesn't complain incessantly. Robbie does indeed deserve a medal for putting up with that damn behavior of Brooke's without snapping on her.

He's definitely snapped at her a few times, but I think mostly just in the bonus videos.  I remember a particularly nasty fight in an airport, and they actually had a big blowout at the end of this leg.

Which woman was shown applying her false eyelashes? Was that Brooke or one of the cyclists? Really, false eyelashes. On a highly physical race. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Do those things stay on in water? Wondering if they fell off on the Flag detour.

That was Brooke and funny you should mention it, she DID complain to Phil about losing her eyelashes at the pitstop in a bonus video! (I'm sure it sometimes appears that all I ever talk about here is the bonus videos, but I come straight here from watching them so they're fresh on my mind!)

Next week: I just went there 2 months ago, so I have a real big smile on my face!  I even went to the top of that building -- though I certainly did not cross under it on a cable like that racer is doing!

• Love 1
That log detour just looked like a killer and don't think that anyone would have successfully done it. Sucks for T&T as they tried to finish it but just couldn't do it. Also loved seeing Phil announcing while the race is going on.

They might have except every team did it wrong.  They went for the easy one first which meant one person was shut out at the very start leaving one person (and from what i could tell the less capable of the pair) to try for the harder flag.  Ignore the yellow flag and both go for the red.  It didn't help that every single time they slowed when they got to the grease.

That mistake probably paid off for Misty and Jim more than had they gotten the clue first.  Seeing the flag detour gave them an idea it was difficult so it really cost them nothing to check the other detour first.  Had they gotten the clue and then tried flag, they probably spend a little more time making the attempt.than what they did backtrack and going to the other one.

Well dang it, even though they were my two least favorite teams remaining, I did want Brooke and Robbie eliminated instead of T&T, not because of Brooke really but just because of their stupid antipathy toward the Cyclists.  Groan...I've had this feeling for a while that the Cyclists would become the target of a U-Turn, and I really hope they're not the next eliminated because of it.  Damn U-Turn, I wish they'd get rid of it.  I'll especially hate it if the Anti-Cyclist alliance does the same nasty trick as some previous group did in an earlier race, where Team #1 U-Turns the Cyclists, and Team #2 deliberately U-Turns another team (like Team #1) who they know has already passed the U-Turn point, just so the Cyclists won't be able to U-Turn anyone.  That's a real dirty trick and I hope the producers made it illegal since the first time someone did it.

I hate to say it but I think Kim and Alli's self-isolation is going to potentially hurt them.  Misty and Jim have won over half the legs still have the save which means they escape an elimination and Kim and Alli are seen as the bigger threats?

Granted I think part of that is Brooke not being able to stand the idea there are more athletic women on the race than her. 

As much as I would like to say RAAAAACE the existence of the U-Turn has forced some aspect of social gameplay into the race and you can't just ignore everyone around you. Watching Jim when he was with the cyclists and watching him with the lower end teams tells me he's aware of this. 

• Love 3
I hate to say it but I think Kim and Alli's self-isolation is going to potentially hurt them.  Misty and Jim have won over half the legs still have the save which means they escape an elimination and Kim and Alli are seen as the bigger threats?

Well part of the problem of course is the damn Save.  Is there any point to u-turning the Dentists if you know they aren't gonna be eliminated and you're just gonna piss them off, and maybe temporarily put them behind?  Granted, this is likely the last U-Turn so the Dentists can't get revenge, but still there's little point.

• Love 1
Since the tray carrying rules specified they had to carry it above their shoulder, I really expected teams to get sent back to the starting line for that.  I saw at least 2 carrying them too low.

I thought that would happen too! I was kind of disappointed that none of them were penalized for that, but I guess it was challenging enought just getting up there without breaking any glasses. I felt bad that Bethany and Adam were so calm and careful getting up there only to have Bethany drop her glasses at the damn table. The reason I like them so much is that not only do they get the tasks done competently but when something like this happens, they just do their best to haul ass and fix it. They ran to get the broom, they ran back up the stairs to clean up the broken glass, and then they ran back down to start over. Can you imagine how much whining we would have heard from Brooke if that had been her and Robbie?

That was Brooke. I actually rewound while watching to make sure that's who it was. It never ceases to amaze me that people make things like huge fake eyelashes a priority while they are on a raaaaaaaaaace! To be fair, it's faster to put on fake eyelashes than to curl my real eyelashes and put on mascara and plenty of the women who have been on TAR take the time to put on mascara so I guess I shouldn't judge Brooke but she is just so damn annoying with her incessant whining.

As far as durability, I used to wear fake eyelashes to perform and no matter how hot and sweaty I got, my eyelashes never came off. It has more to do with the glue you use. I never went swimming with mine on, but my guess is that if you use a strong water resistant glue then they would stay on. Synchronized swimmers wear huge fake eyelashes and they always stay on!

If T&T hadn't wasted so much time arguing and they had switched tasks sooner, they could have beat Robbie and Brooke, damn it. After eight legs, Robbie seems a lot nicer than he did at first. He was very patient with Brooke and he knew that she wanted to switch tasks.

The "Blind Detour" seems like a dumb twist to me (and may have been created just to trick some teams to attempt that impossible flag challenge).  I like watching the teams use their brains to determine which detour choice is best for them (and likewise who does the roadblock).  Making the detour "blind" removes (or delays) that decision process.  Feels like a cheap trick.

Today I came up with a new twist I haven't seen proposed before (although it likely has).  How about putting a U-Turn after a Roadblock? Instead of a team being forced to do both Detours, both members of a team are forced to do the Roadblock.  Why not?  (Except that I dislike the U-Turn...and also there's the rules about minimum/maximum numbers of RBs per person, so maybe an RB forced by a U-Turn shouldn't be counted toward those tallies.)

• Love 2

An enjoyable episode was somewhat tarnished by the teams plotting together against the Cyclists. Such underhanded shenanigans are not wanted. However, it was nice to seem them mingling socially despite the plotting, and the code names were sort of cute. That said, my like of the Cyclists has been slowly ebbing away since they poked fun at the Dentists, so I probably won't be too heartbroken if they go.

Free Robbie! I can't add anything new about the horribleness that is Brooke, so we'll stick to Robbie and his bouncing pecs. When he popped them earlier in the race, they annoyed me. However, I was more mesmerized/charmed by them in this episode, and I don't know why since I usually associate that action with terrible douche-bros. Maybe it was Phil trying to do so as well. And yes, Robbie, you can do that task in your neon green Under Armour undies. In fact, feel free to do the entire race in them, and them alone. I eagerly await the video and screen caps.

The "Bethany Is Awesome" campaign came back again in this episode in full force, but it wasn't nearly as bad since it occurred in the boats while the race was going on, and not in a talking head afterwards. We know she's awesome already. I continue to root for them to win, which is usually unthinkable given their stunt casting. However, Adam (or was it Robbie) took a minor hit to his likability when he knocked over Maya's(?) tray when squeezing by them in the doorway when going to collect their broom and dust pan. Of course, they were doing so poorly on their own and so close to the tavern, that they weren't set back that much.

I also think the Dentists are my second favorite now, which was also unthinkable from their early showing. If only Mr. Teeth would cut the hyper-competitive boasting in half at least. I'm not sad to see T&T go. The food scientists should be the next to go, or the wrestlers.

Other random tidbits: All of the racers seemed to get rather testy over the Detour tasks. Love the breastplate chest bumps. Maya either had to much caffeine or visited a drug dealer on the way to the pit stop. Was it just me, or did they show more footage of Phil interacting with the racers on the Amazing Bath Mat than they usually do?

I know they 'only' took a ferry to go from Sicily to Malta but I would have appreciated an appearance by the Amazing Yellow Line, it helps me get oriented.

Actually, I think that the Amazing Yellow Line as been red this year, or at least it was in the previous episode. I'm not determined enough to research this to be certain though.

• Love 1

My feelings about the cyclists were reinforced by them isolating themselves and by the other teams' universal dislike for them. Funny that the cyclists scoffed at the other teams for wondering why that sat by themselves saying, "Maybe we just needed a minute!" You mean like maybe the other teams needed a minute earlier in the race when they didn't want to spend the night partying with you.

Their, "We're New Yorkers." comment was dead on. I am a New Yorker and their arrogance is all too typical of my state (or at least the population centers in the Southern part of it).

Also, telling their cab driver to cancel the cab for Brooke and Robbie was slimy. If they told them no, fine, but lying to them was playing dirty.

They are excellent racers and not nearly as obnoxious as teams from past seasons, but I don't like them.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 7

As for all the "Bethany is awesome!" talk, it is totally appropriate, IMHO, as she IS awesome! Well, she doesn't actually "inspire awe" as Jane Margolis (may she RIP) would point out, but she is amazing and I think it would be odd if the other racers weren't commenting on it. Deal with it, folks! :-)

I would have liked to see A&B try the flag task at least once. If anyone could have done it, it would have been them with their surfer balance.

Amy's (Cream's) injury probably helped them survive, as it caused them to abandon the flag task very quickly. They were also fortunate to drop the wine and glasses right at the restaurant a few times, rather than when they were almost to the Knights table. Maya, I mean "Cookies" is a little over the top with her antics, but I like her a lot. The armored chest bump was brilliant.

• Love 3

P.S. One of the greatest greeters ever!

He was pretty awesome.  IMO, it will be hard for anyone to beat my all-time favorite, though...  "Welcome to Booooodapest, Hungary!"  *Cracks whip*

Oh, and I don't think it would be good to ask them to drive on Malta.

Why?  Honest question.  Is there something I don't know about Malta?

I'm singing loud and clear in the chorus of "STFU Brooke!"  I was so glad when Robbie finally told her to knock it off.

KF appears to be hitting hard.  Even the normally calm teams got flustered.

The nicknames were funny.  Jim momentarily redeemed himself with me by choosing "Molar."  And I adored "Cookies and Cream."

Which team was it that acknowledged Phil when they ran by him?  I've enjoyed seeing Phil and racers at the tasks at the same time.  It's a behind-the-scenes view type of thing that shows how much production has to scramble to be at the right places at the right times.

I fear for Amy and Maya's longevity in the Race because they're so nice and I like them so much.  I'm torn about who I'd rather have win--these ladies or Bethany and Adam.  I relate so much to Bethany and Adam, because I share their faith and because of having physical limitations to overcome like Bethany does.  But Amy and Maya are so adorable and I love how much fun they're having and how much they appreciate their opportunity to see the world.

The Friday night time slot really works well for me.  I love not having it delayed by sports I don't give a crap about.

Overall a great season thus far.  The best in several years.

• Love 2

I actually get a kick out of Brooke. Her constant defeatist whining, while completing every task rather competently is amusing. It almost seems like her bizarre way of motivating herself.

Tim and TJ should not have switched when they did. At that point their only hope was a lucky run up the flag pole.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 2

I wanted to see the dentists find out they weren't first and see if Jim had a hissy fit over it.

Me too, just because he's so hellbent on breaking the record for most first place finishes. Hey, be happy you are doing so well overall. And don't tell your wife to "deal with it" when she's in a heavy suit of armor, please.

My love and admiration for Bethany grows every week. I thought, surely she won't try the rapelling. But there she was. One arm swimming, when I have trouble with two arms.

I loved Phil's expression when Robbie told him "that one's for you Phil" when he was flexing his pecs. And when the scientists were naming themselves Cookies & Cream, Robbie said "Cookies & Cream??" as if he didn't get it. I like him, wish he'd tell Brooke to take a chill

• Love 1

After seeing Brooke making fun of Amy's limp, she is officially dead to me. I never liked her whining, over-dramatic ass to begin with, but that was the final nail in the coffin. She must be miserable to be around - she is constantly complaining, and just comes off as a total bitter bitch. Never in my life have I ever wanted to non-ironically use the term "jealous hater", but after seeing Brooke's strong reaction to the Cyclists, that was all I could think of. 

And I really hate the super alliance thing. Ooooh, let's take another team down....because they want to sit by themselves! BFD. Just be honest and say you want to Uturn them because they're crushing this competition.

Bethany continues to impress and inspire. That girl is flat out amazing. Just when you Adam is going to do one of the tasks, she steps up and surprises you. And does it well! And it's not just her competence, but her attitude shines as well. Love her. 

Misty was quite impressive this week as well. I think she just has to get in the right frame of mind. She and Jim are becoming more tolerable as the weeks go by. 

• Love 3

Brooke is one of those people who think bad things "just happen" to them & that they have no influence on the consequences that befall on them.  Brooke, you're so tired of coming in last?  You can't believe it always comes down to bad luck with cabs?  Here's a thought...stop running across the entire friggin' city screaming "Taxi!!!".  Try using your own damn eyeballs and scoping out the area before & after the tasks.  No other team seems to have as hard a time as you finding transportation.  In fact, many of them appear to practically run into a gaggle of taxis as soon as they finish a RB.  Oh, and STFU and stop mimicking other people.  You're rude and disrespectful.  Your BF may be a little dopey, but at least he tries.  He's a little bit charming and self-deprecating so he is likeable.  You are not.

As for the eyelash thing...it's bugged me for years that some of the female ( & a few males) contestants are soooo made up every leg.  Where do they find time to plaster on all that shimmery eye shadow?  Or gel their hair into perfect spikes?  Are they carrying all their beauty supplies in their backpacks?  Misty must be lugging around a mini Sephora in her go-bag.  I'm somewhat vain about my appearance in public, but if I'm racing around the world and sleeping on sidewalks, my first priority would not be troweling on foundation, self-tanner and getting a Brazilian blow-out before I hop on an over crowded train in Bangladesh.

• Love 4

Has there ever been a TAR season with so many women this late into the race?  7 women and 3 men, and no male/male teams.  You go, ladies!

Maltese, Maltese. Malta is very much its own country. "Do you speak English?" was inadvertently hilarious, because after Maltese everyone learns English as a second language, and it's an official language of the state. Malta is also a very popular tourist destination with the British, in part because of 150 years of being a British colony before its independence in 1964.

After the episode I had to look up Malta.  I knew where it was and some of its medieval history but was curious about what language was spoken there now.  Apparently (according to Wiki anyway) there is a Maltese language that uses Sicilian/Italian and Arabic.  Anyway, thought I'd pass that along.

Phil talks with his pecs!  In a bit of a whisper...

That was hilarious.  Phil seems to be having a lot of fun this race.

It's a good thing Adam & Bethany still had the FF.  She may have been able to scamper across the pole without any trouble (since she seems to be able to do anything) but the shine option would have been very difficult for her.  

I enjoyed seeing most of the teams interact on the ferry ride.  It's great when they can keep the competition in perspective and relax and have fun with the other teams during a down period.  (Miss the ES&M times.)  There is also nothing wrong with a team that wants to stay removed and focused as the cyclists did, but they do this at their own peril.  

• Love 1

Oh lord. I hate the whole "gang up on the people who want to sit in peace and quiet by themselves" vibe.

I suppose it could be argued that it's gamesmanship and a legit part of the game to make sure you get on with the other teams, and this is Team Cyclist's weakness... but even so... I just don't like seeing the holier than thou coming off the other teams over this.

• Love 7