Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Consumed

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

If you've read the comics, be very careful to avoid spoiling those who don't, and keep in mind that some people may have much stricter notions of what a spoiler is. Any substantial comic talk should go in the comics thread; minor discussion is okay here, but be very liberal with the spoiler tags, and don't give away too much outside the tags either. We're still figuring out what the right solution for this is; we'd love your thoughts on it here.

Carol's gonna need a whole hardware aisle of screws and brackets to hold her bones together, not to mention a year to recover from that.

Edited by Adam
  • Love 1

So, this episode basically was a set-up to the end of the episode three weeks prior.

Also, I got the feeling this was a send-off episode for Carol.  I hope I'm wrong.

I've been getting this feeling too.  I really hope it's not true.  I think she's amazing and I love the "family" that she and Daryl have together.  They get each other like know one else.  Stop. 

Edited by JenMcSnark
  • Love 12

Really good episode.  It flew by!  The pacing and story were great and the acting was spot on.  Loves me some Daryl and Caryl! 

ok so, if Daryl and Noah left Atlanta in a lorry, how come Michonne found them skulking about in the bushes all those episodes ago? another car crash are we to assume?

Maybe they run out of gas?

• Love 10

ok so, if Daryl and Noah left Atlanta in a lorry, how come Michonne found them skulking about in the bushes all those episodes ago? another car crash are we to assume?

I don't think that Daryl could drive that to the church.

• Love 3

Poor Daryl, now he lost both of them. :'(

I thought there was going to be some pay off to the Carol flashbacks, but imo there was none. Like, I assume that's what would've happened, I felt like I learned nothing new. I did like it when she was crying in the car, though.

I felt this episode was too slow. I think it's fine that they want to explore character, and I do like Daryl and Carol a lot, but I think that they need to learn to balance out their episodes better. I come here to watch Zombie Apocalypse stuff, not just characters angsting all thoughtful. Season 4B was like that too, and I felt it was too slow, too.

• Love 7

I did not love this episode. It is too many character episodes in a row for me. Plus, we already know all there is to know about Carol and Daryl. Why spend time having them rehashing what we already know? I would have preferred it if they had encountered Noah earlier and engaged him so the plot was further along.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

I still don't want them to do any more episodes that split one or two characters away from the group because I'm really missing Rick and the group family and three in a row is at least two too much, but if they're determined to do it this is the one that works.  I like that we're seeing two characters who have known each other very well acknowledging that they're both very different people now and trying to feel out who they've become.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 16

It is like other than the first couple episodes, they decided this season to do these character episodes with a cliffhanger on the action at the end to get people to watch the next week. These cliffhangers do not make up for some long uninteresting scenes in the episode.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I felt there was a lot of unnecessary pauses in this episode. Like...dialogue wise. Not just pacing wise.

"This painting...looks...like a dog's...ass...smeared..."

".......I...like...it...."

I actually liked this scene. It was probably one of my favorites in the episode. Kind of a heavy-handed way to show how different he and Carol are, but it made me smile.

• Love 11

I really liked this episode and I wasnt' sure that I would; even with two of my favorite actors and characters featured.  I think they showed us what was going on behind Carol's facade and how she still struggles, she no "Rambo" really.  And how much Daryl has grown.  Melissa McBride and Norman Reedus have amazing chemistry and their conversation seemed very organic.  One of my favorite episodes.

• Love 23

I actually liked this scene. It was probably one of my favorites in the episode. Kind of a heavy-handed way to show how different he and Carol are, but it made me smile.

I liked the scene too. It made me smile. I was just using that dialogue as an example of all the pauses they took.

I do love the actors. And I like more character focused episodes. I just don't understand punctuating every other word with an ellipsis. ;)

• Love 2

This episode really worked for me.  I thought it hit all the beats I like in this show.  Daryl and Carol were both smart and lucky in getting to Atlanta.  They navigated the city with competence, killing when they had to and avoiding when they could.  The truck on the bridge was a great set piece.  And there were lots of zombie kills, which always makes me happy.  I loved the zombies trapped in their sleeping bags and tents, and the Walker cut in half who still tried to get to Carol and Daryl as they left.  I liked seeing Noah again, even if he did steal the weapons and release a zombie, basically taking a page from the Rick Grimes playbook.  I'm glad he went back, hoping to get Beth out after she helped him escape.

I really liked seeing Carol establish herself in her exile.  She was going to survive, but I really liked that she went back to the prison as soon as she realized things were going bad there.

• Love 21

Now this is how you do an episode. Loved it. I guess it doesn't hurt that it featured my two favorite characters, but besides their great work, I thought the music was on point and the cinematography was truly beautiful. That scene of them entering ATL, on the same highway Rick rode into town......so awesome and eerie. 

I liked that they showed Carol post-banishment, and how broken she was. The way she screamed at that walker, I totally got it. Damn, you can't even have a minute to cry it out in the ZA. And then she basically made her peace with being on her own, and was getting all dialed in at her new place. But as soon as she saw that smoke from the prison, bam! Out the door. Those were her people, no matter what. 

How sad was it seeing the Walker version of Carol and Sophia in the shelter? Gah. I loved that Daryl took care of it for her. I just love Carol and Daryl's relationship. They did do a lot of talking this episode, which was good - because Carol had a whole lot he needed to get off her chest. But sometimes they're best when they don't talk, just in those simple, loving gestures. 

So Carol caries Lizzie's Tom Sawyer in her backpack, which is just lovely....and Daryl apparently carries around a legal ledger? LOL. No, I'm assuming he took that from the shelter. It was just kind of random and funny. 

The sleeping bag zombies were awesome! And dang, Noah got fiesty. What the hell? I could have appreciated more if he hadn't been going after my dynamic duo. I feel like Noah was still right near the hospital because he wanted to go back for Beth, and I was pretty sure he would meet up with Daryl and Carol anyhow, so it all worked out well. Can't wait for them to bring the rest of CDB back!

OMG - ghoulina, you're right! That was Lizzie's Tom Sawyer. You need a lifeline in to TD to tell Yvette and Chris.

• Love 8

I really enjoyed this episode although it flew by. I haven't really felt that kind of urgency from the show since the premiere. Loved the van scene and Noah rescue scene. This was primarily a character driven episode with a dash of overall plot mixed in but I thought it was great.

I found the art critic scene amusing but I really loved the exchange between Daryl/Carol "you don't know me" "keep telling yourself that". I like how well these two characters know each other.

• Love 18

Was the childhood abuse book grabbed by Daryl?  I appreciate that his past abuse comes up every now and then.

I have know idea how survivable that van crash was, but Carol taking Daryl's hand made it worth it to me.  Love those two.

I love that it rained walkers on the van even more.

• Love 12

The sleeping bag zombies were awesome!

Total agreement.  I assumed these were sick people for whom there weren't enough beds when the ZA first hit, so they were camping outside the hospital hoping space would open up.  Sorry, Charlie.

• Love 4

Was the childhood abuse book grabbed by Daryl? I appreciate that his past abuse comes up every now and then.

I have know idea how survivable that van crash was, but Carol taking Daryl's hand made it worth it to me. Love those two.

Yes, I believe Daryl grabbed the book.

I was surprised the airbags went off, didn't think they would work after all that time.

• Love 2
Was the childhood abuse book grabbed by Daryl?  I appreciate that his past abuse comes up every now and then.

Yes,it was in his back back. It appeared, to me, that he wants to try and work out his issues, as Carol has been doing. She has really gotten past her abuse, and I bet that inspires him.

• Love 6
I have know idea how survivable that van crash was, but Carol taking Daryl's hand made it worth it to me.  Love those two.

They were purely "lucky" the van landed wheels-down - that's about the only way that van could've landed with any chance of survival.

And I was TOTALLY waiting for some zombie rain afterward.  You just had to know the zombie pack pressure would push at least a few over the edge - and where the hell ELSE are they gonna land?

Yes, I believe Daryl grabbed the book.

I was surprised the airbags went off, didn't think they would work after all that time.

Daryl's airbag deployed; didn't see one on Carol's side.

ETA:  Correction - on the replay, observed Carol's airbag deployed as well.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 4

Liked the episode but the van scene was silly. First off they knew they were going to check out the van with zombies in tow, so they should have been running to the van to increase the distance between them and give them more time. If the van was unstable, why do both of them enter the front to search for clues? But most of all there was no excuse for these two experienced people to get backed into that van at the last minute. Why even bother stabbing in a closed circle? Just push and run AWAY. You have a whole four lane bridge for running space.

• Love 9

This was the best bottle episode so far. But I really wished they had kept the Carol moments to a minimum. The show did fly by and I wish they hadn't wasted time on more of Carol's angst. Jesus, haven't seen enough of it.  The only reason I can think of for 'all Carol, all the time' is that Ms. Carol isn't going to see season 6. Nothing else makes sense.

I enjoyed watching Carol and Daryl realize they've both changed and they don't necessarily know each other any more. When Carol said that Daryl was a man now, I felt there was some longing for the boy he used to be.

Daryl doesn't appreciate art.  Ooh there's a shock.

I'm so glad Noah was stepping up and going back for Beth. The shippers should get on board that ship because Beth and Noah would be sweet together.

• Love 3

I loved this episode, from start to finish. But then, I tend to be kind of old school when it comes to the shows I watch; I'm content to go along for the ride and don't always need to have it my way.

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 9

I liked the episode. Kept me engaged the entire time. It wasn't action-packed, but I liked how there was still a lot of suspense throughout with some good character development as well. I thought this episode spent a great deal of time showing how much Daryl and Carol have changed since they last saw each other at the prison, which added a different layer to their friendship. I don't know what that means, exactly.

I thought burning those zombies would give Carol the closure that she needed, but it seems she still has some more demons that she's struggling with. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next episode. And I hope everyone makes it out alive (except for the bad guys, of course).

Edited by kelnic86
  • Love 4

Well now I know how some of you felt about the Beth episode. The flashbacks felt like padding. A least the death anvils are falling fast and thick for Carol good news IMO. Especially since they don't seem to know what to do with her character besides be an utter misery.

Thats why I liked Daryl's little moment with the book he least knows he needs to do something besides wallow. I love character episodes but tptb need to figure that they actually need to teach something.A good character episode either teaches us something about the character ( like 4:09 did with Carl and Michonne) or teaches the character something about themselved (ie Still). This did neither, it just gave Carol an umpteenth chance to jusify killing karvid

Well now I know how some of you felt about the Beth episode. The flashbacks felt like padding. A least the death anvils are falling fast and thick for Carol good news IMO. Especially since they don't seem to know what to do with her character besides be an utter misery.

Thats why I liked Daryl's little moment with the book he least knows he needs to do something besides wallow. I love character episodes but tptb need to figure that they actually need to teach something.A good character episode either teaches us something about the character ( like 4:09 did with Carl and Michonne) or teaches the character something about themselved (ie Still). This did neither, it just gave Carol an umpteenth chance to jusify killing karvid

• Love 1

I did not love this episode. It is too many character episodes in a row for me. Plus, we already know all there is to know about Carol and Daryl. Why spend time having them rehashing what we already know? I would have preferred it if they had encountered Noah earlier and engaged him so the plot was further along.

On the one hand, we know them, but on the other, we don't.

I think there's still quite a bit we didn't know about Carol, namely the real person under the "badass" persona she hides behind. Ultimately she has her limits in brutality, and she's still battling the trauma of her past. We got hints of this in "Strangers" but I'm glad we got more tonight. She was missing from a ton of season 4 and I appreciated getting to see those little moments (preparing to bury Mika and Lizzie, cleaning her face in the woods, being away from the prison, etc.) This is the type of material which Melissa McBride often excels at - the non-verbal emotions.

As someone who has been "eh" about Daryl for a long time, I also appreciated the look into more of his personality. I was relieved that the episode wasn't about shipping as much as it was about Daryl trying his best to understand and support Carol, the person who'd helped him see a better side of himself, and then eventually reach his limit and start to give into the fatalism she was advocating. Then it flipped, and Carol snapped out of this mindset and brought him back. I really liked that moment where he lit the cigarette. Not because of smoking = wickedness (that's such an overused symbol), but just because it represents the edge of the character that is often blurred by the woobie Daryl of the last few seasons. I was much more interested in Daryl in the first few seasons when he wasn't a care bear all the time. Bits like this, and the child abuse book he was going to read - they help get him back in touch with other sides of his personality, and as someone who is not gaga over Daryl but wants to care about him, I need this.

Noah needs to die for forgetting that limp until the end.

He was limping when he ran out on Daryl and Carol with the weapons.

• Love 19

I think that it is more than time for Carol to die and thought they were going in that direction, but I am having doubts now. I feel like Gimple has pushed aside the female characters that I like, Michonne and Maggie, in favor of Carol. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

On the one hand, we know them, but on the other, we don't.

I think there's still quite a bit we didn't know about Carol, namely the real person under the "badass" persona she hides behind. Ultimately she has her limits in brutality, and she's still battling the trauma of her past. We got hints of this in "Strangers" but I'm glad we got more tonight. She was missing from a ton of season 4 and I appreciated getting to see those little moments (preparing to bury Mika and Lizzie, cleaning her face in the woods, being away from the prison, etc.) This is the type of material which Melissa McBride often excels at - the non-verbal emotions.

I don't agree. IMO, we know who Carol is and I don't buy that there is anything else to know about her so I am not interested any of these quiet moments that they are keep trying to give her to make her oh so deep and basically rationalize her murder of Karen and David. Even watching Yvette trying to dissect Carol's thoughts and feelings bores me to tears.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

I meant to say that I can see why people would be bored with the episode. Having this run right after two other episodes with only a few characters (and this and last week were genuine bottle episodes - there was some sparring at AV Club when the Beth episode was referred to as a bottle episode, so I'll try not do to that) must seem like overkill. It's one of those episodes that I'm going to watch a few times to get more nuances. 

I thought it was really beautifully shot - tons of quiet dread and foreboding throughout, and some sick sense of, "Is this reality?" Then it became delirious toward the end, just as Carol and Daryl were starting to regain momentum. Some of the scenes like walking along the overpass were wonderful to look at; motion picture quality.

I feel like the episode was less about setting up Carol's death than it was about suggesting her first attempts at healing. Her asking Daryl to save Noah felt like a turning point, a way to keep her pragmatism without seeing death as the default. Of course she was run over right after this...

• Love 15

They were purely "lucky" the van landed wheels-down - that's about the only way that van could've landed with any chance of survival.

And I was TOTALLY waiting for some zombie rain afterward.  You just had to know the zombie pack pressure would push at least a few over the edge - and where the hell ELSE are they gonna land?

When they started hitting the windshield,I hollered "Don't turn on the wipers!" I don't know much, but I've driven on a lot of country roads at night.
  • Love 5
I don't agree. IMO, we who Carol is and I don't buy that there is anything else to know about her so I am not interested any of these quiet moments that they are keep trying to give her to make her oh so deep and basically rationalize her murder of Karen and David. Even watching Yvette trying to dissect Carol's thoughts and feelings bores me to tears.

I'm confused. What did Carol do or say in this episode that gave the impression she was trying to rationalize or justify killing Karvid? If anything, I get the impression she actually feels pretty badly about doing that. But given that Tyrese forgave her, I don't think she's really dwelling on it a ton. The thing I think that is weighing on her super heavily right now is what happened with the girls in the grove.

• Love 24