Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Baby Made A Mess

Tara Ariano

I'm pretty appalled that in the wake of his son's death, Fitz attempts suicide over his *sidepiece leaving.* I'd like to fanwank that it was really about the boy and Tom just ascribed it to Liv's absence, but him going to wail at her apartment pokes a pretty major hole in that theory.

I'm not proud of it, but I'm still rooting for Olitz. The phone sex was a little over the top graphic for me rather than sexy though. I thought both actors sold the hell out of that material. Underneath the squick I definitely felt the gravity each of these people exerts on the other. They simply orbit each other, for better or for worse. Having felt that in my life, it was effective for me. I'm slightly ashamed obsessional lust/love was so effective on me. Kudos to the actors.

• Love 6

Mellie lost her child and that's where my sympathy for her ends. Fitz hasn't always treated her well, but she's hardly been a saint. She wanted to be first lady and she didn't want the divorce. They've both done shitty things. I am an Olitz shipper so maybe I'm not completely unbiased, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

I agree. And she encouraged the affair when the show began! Also, he was going to leave her but the whole rape thing came out and Fitz and Olivia felt he should stay.  I think the only reason he was mad about her affair with Deputy Chief Brenda Lee Johnson's husband is because he thought that man was his friend. He might have been slightly irked about someone else, cause that's just how fucked up people/men are, but ultimately would have been cool with it.

Huck's son is adorable.

Wait a minute now. Tom KILLED the presidents son and he's lecturing Olivia for giving the president a sad? Of some seriously absurd shit this show has pulled, that might be the tippy top. (Setting aside the completely believable implication that fitz I sadder about Liv than his dead son)<br /><br />I had to mute the creepy sex call. ick.

• Love 12

To me it's the second show in a row that harkens back to the good old days of seasons one and two. While I loved the Tom monologue, did he have to sound almost exactly like Jake when he's glassy-eyed lookin' at Liv and speaking with the same and tone? But I'll take it and you know why? Cause the Helen of Troy speech was perfect. "I can't protect him from you, Miss Pope," he said meekly as he sat mesmerized. Best line of the night, besides that, "This isn't just jailhousemingle.com. You can't just visit Jake" That's masterful. Fitz better up his game 'cause with Jake out he's gonna go back to touching her in places Fitz doesn't, or at least he thinks he doesn't. http://tvruckus.com/2014/11/07/kendra-on-top-preview-counseling-and-daddy-issues/

• Love 3

One of the great things about not watching this show live, is that I can fast forward through the parts of the episode that completely gross me out, such as the "sexy" talk from Fitz. I only got to the part about laying her on the desk before I hit that FF button! Gross! Ick! I liked everything about Olivia in this episode except the fact that the phone sex turned her on. Just no, no no!

Rowen is evil, but I think the fantastic threesome (eww, don't go there show) will defeat him, so there is that to look forward tp.

Tom sounded like a Rowen robot.

Abby was great in her scenes. Nice to see a campaign manager that knows his candidate is a scum bag and does something about it. (not very real-world, but I'll take it in a show that isn't very real-world anyway) 

Not really interested in the Huck plot, but his son is cute. Nice to see him and Quinn finally working together and not fighting (or licking faces)-ick

• Love 2

I only got to the part about laying her on the desk before I hit that FF button!

Not laying her on the desk, spreading her out on the desk. You know, like a jigsaw puzzle or a tray of canapes.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 5

Wait a minute now. Tom KILLED the presidents son and he's lecturing Olivia for giving the president a sad?

THIS! So much this. All of Tom's mess about protecting HIS President but meh, it's okay to take out his son. I mean, that can't possibly hurt 'my president', right? Ugh.

Disgusted by the phone sex. Fitz is just looking more and more selfish and pathetic at every turn. I don't see "love" anymore, I see obsessed sexual stalker. Gross.

• Love 3

The Olivia Pope who had Tom shanked to make him think it was her father who had it done, all so she could get him to tell her the truth, is the Olivia Pope I kept hearing about but never saw proof of. This Olivia Pope is the 'don't get in my way or I'll fuck you up" Olivia I have been wanting to watch.

Outside of that, with exception of Abby, there is still little else to care about. I don't care about Schmuck and his family, I don't care about the ongoing case of the photos of Olivia that are literally to die for. I don't care about Cyrus and his rent boy, and I don't care about the duplicitous head of the RNC. And by the way, couldn't they have made her someone with a job that matters. There are probably no more useless people in Washington than the respective heads of the Republican and Democratic parties. And as much as I have always liked Bellamy Young, I still don't give a shit about Mellie and her "long suffering political wife" nonsense. What can I say Smellie, you chose poorly.

I seem to recall Leo flirting with Abby during the presidential campaign, right? She was seeing David at the time, but I don't think this is coming out of nowhere. I've always gotten a kick out of Leo, so I'd love to see him around more.

• Love 4

I'm pretty appalled that in the wake of his son's death, Fitz attempts suicide over his *sidepiece leaving.* I'd like to fanwank that it was really about the boy and Tom just ascribed it to Liv's absence, but him going to wail at her apartment pokes a pretty major hole in that theory.

I think Fitz breaking down in her apartment is the private place he could do it.  I hope it was because of everything- losing his son and therefore winning the election and then having no one to turn to.  Let's face it, he always turns to Olivia but now she is gone too. (Sounds like Mellie would not have been any help at this point either).   

• Love 2

(Sounds like Mellie would not have been any help at this point either).   

Maybe if Fitz had been with Mellie in the wake of their son's death instead of creeping on his extramarital friend - who he totally threw away the chance to be with, because he wanted to be president more - she would have been more able to function.

• Love 2

With the exception of Mellie, Jake and the swarmy campaign guy who used to play on Prison Break and Private Practice, I'd like to see every character on this show die in a fire.

Was Tom gay for Fitz or something?  Then why the hell did you kill his kid???

This. Because it makes no sense. Oh wait, did Rowan threatened to kill Tom's entire family, one by one, piece by piece? If the wacky three take out Command, who's going to be the big, big bad?

Edited by buttersister

I've finally figured out a way I can watch this show and not want to hurl something through the TV.

We got our first DVR a few weeks ago. I now DVR each episode, don't watch it in real time, read the TVLine recap of the episode so I know what happens, come here and read the posts, then FF through to the Abby parts--she's the only character I like--and I'm done.

Last weekend I whipped through three episodes (which I'd been putting off watching) in 20 minutes. This episode took a little longer, because Abby had more of a part, but I still managed to watch the show in about 13 minutes. I can skip over all the weird Shonda-cadenced speechifying/bloviating (thank you to the poster who reminded me of that very useful word!). I didn't have to listen to crazy Rowan (which is something for me, because I LOVE Joe Morton, who will forever be Henry from Eureka to me, if I can scrub the memory of Rowan from my mind). I didn't have to listen to Fitz's phone sex. I didn't have to watch Olivia's lip quiver. And I could watch Abby pull that gun on her ex and her exchanges with Leo, which I loved (can't help it, I like Leo, as smarmy as he is) as many times as I wanted. Go Abby! I thought Darby Stanchfield did a wonderful job. I do suspect this isn't the last we've seen of Michael Trucco, who I love as an actor. He did great at making Chip despicable, in a part that wasn't much more than a cameo.

And P.S. to whoever invented the DVR, I love you.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 3

Maybe if Fitz had been with Mellie in the wake of their son's death instead of creeping on his extramarital friend - who he totally threw away the chance to be with, because he wanted to be president more - she would have been more able to function.

This, so much. Mellie's history has been retconed more than that of most soap characters, but Fitz's single tract mind to seek Liv's golden cooter out and moon over her in her absence has been painfully consistent, as is his blaming Mellie and Big Jerry for all the problems in his life.

Mellie may have been cold and calculating, but if Fitz let her drag him around the nose, that's his fault.

• Love 6

Really enjoyed this episode - the emotional and other consequences seem to fit better with the feel of the show.  (New here, finally caught up with everything *waves*)  One theme I saw coming out of this episode was what people are willing to do for those they care about.

1) Olivia goes Rowan to exonerate Jake.

2) Javier tracks down Huck (and Huck connects with his son via an online game prior to that)

3) Leo spares Abby the pain of having to come forward about Chuck's abuse of her. 

4) Tom's love for the President, in the way of a blindly loyal knight solely devoted to keeping his king as The King.

I always felt Leo was smarmy (and missed the first time that he was talking about his and Abby's sexual tension, and not Abby's and Chuck's), but he seems to really like her.

Regarding Fitz's phone sex - it really forced a comparison to Jake earlier in the season with his whole, "It's my turn now.  And my turn involves lots of kissing," as he kissed her from top to bottom - the reverse of Fitz.  While I don't like contrived love triangles, it's been nice seeing the very clear contrasts drawn between Fitz and Jake (and now even a sharper distinction between Jake and Rowen - Jake was very much the Electra Complex object for a while).

Tom - I find it plausible for this silent, watchful man to finally break his silence and tell someone what he really thinks. It makes sense that it's Olivia, since she has to be able to draw the truth out from her clients.  One thing this show does well is that it forces us to see other perspectives that are often discounted or watered down.

Lastly, Kacey(sp?) in the ad was full of win.  I loved it.

• Love 2

Tom - I find it plausible for this silent, watchful man to finally break his silence and tell someone what he really thinks. It makes sense that it's Olivia, since she has to be able to draw the truth out from her clients.  One thing this show does well is that it forces us to see other perspectives that are often discounted or watered down.

I think Tom's commentary was plausible; the delivery was terrible IMO.  Instead of a matter of fact observation, we get a zombie-trance like rant.  Tom look liked he had been brainwashed into saying what he said, but maybe that was the point to illustrate the cult of Olivia Pope.  Maybe we were supposed to think the whole thing is ridiculous because the obsession played as love by Rowan, Jake and Fitz is totally ridiculous.

• Love 2

I kinda like the pairing of Leo and Abby. He was very sweet to her.

Agreed. I think that if the show handles it right *sigh* they could actually do an interesting juxtaposition about people who seem decent, but aren't and people who have a surprising amount of depth and resolve. I'm sure Abby's ex was one of those guys who did and said all the right things. I'm betting everybody (even Olivia's magically always wrong gut) loved him until he started beating the crap out of Abby. I'd love to see that contrasted with a Leo character who is honest and oblivious and comes across as an asshole, but is actually a decent guy who has an actual center to him. I'd love to see them further contrast that with Fitz who is like the poster boy for initially charming and impressive asshat without any substance. Like, I would sort of love a scene where Fitz finds out about Abby's ex and tries to justify making Abby work with him anyway.You know, for the greater good and all. I could totally see Fitz doing that.

Side note. Kennedy stand in or not, there is no way they could have kept that abusive marriage quiet in this day and age. Abby would have been in the hospital for weeks and probably moved in with Olivia and filed for divorce immediately after being released. The editor of a high school newspaper could put that time line together. Prove it? Probably not, but create rumors? Oh yes. Somebody would have found it out.

• Love 1

Jade Foxx, I so agree with you about Joe Morton, whom I also first saw in "Brother from Another Planet," and look for everywhere. Damn, though, this role is just sucking, though he's giving it everything. Did you watch "Eureka"?

I must have missed something, so can someone tell me why Huck and Javi aren't in each other's lives?

I cannot, cannot wait for RentBoi to get his from Cyrus. Sorry to see Cy hurt again, but where is his daughter? Is she even still in his life?

Edited by Catherinewriter
Side note. Kennedy stand in or not, there is no way they could have kept that abusive marriage quiet in this day and age. Abby would have been in the hospital for weeks and probably moved in with Olivia and filed for divorce immediately after being released. The editor of a high school newspaper could put that time line together. Prove it? Probably not, but create rumors? Oh yes. Somebody would have found it out.

But this is the show in which the Washington press corps was told that Jeanine Whatshername - not Olivia - was the president's mistress. And they swallowed this tall tale whole.

• Love 2

But this is the show in which the Washington press corps was told that Jeanine Whatshername - not Olivia - was the president's mistress. And they swallowed this tall tale whole.

Word.  If this was real life, Fitz would have been impeached and his "team" would be in Leavenworth for election tampering/murder/conspiracy to commit murder. Sally would be President; Rowan and Jake would be free to create other Kings without public notice.  The Associates of Pope & Associates would go work for another fixer or succumb to the personal issues that created the need for Olivia in the first place.  Jerry, James and Harrison would be alive, but there would be no First Baby.

• Love 1

Word.  If this was real life, Fitz would have been impeached and his "team" would be in Leavenworth for election tampering/murder/conspiracy to commit murder.

in real life, Obama gave Sandra Day O'Connor a medal for her services to democracy.

• Love 2

I must have missed something, so can someone tell me why Huck and Javi aren't in each other's lives?

Huck attempted to have a family while he was in B613. He got six months in the box for that, which is what turned him into the subway dwelling hairball that Olivia first met. Later, when he had recovered some of his self confidence but no credibility so Rowan didn't need to threaten him anymore, he tried to go back, but his wife just thought he was psycho.

I agree with those who've already said how refreshing it was to see Olivia acting the way she did in Season 1. That was the show i committed to originally, the one about a brilliant and ruthless fixer who had "occassionaly nails the president" as a character quirk.

And yeah, the phone sex bit was yucky. But the yuckiest part was how revved up it got Olivia. Never mind Helen of Troy, she's got something in common with Achilles. It's just not an ankle that is the body part that she's vulnerable in. Why doesn't the show just get it over with and have her call Abby to bring her a change of clothing because after talking to Fitz she's sitting in a puddle? Better still-- Rowan has her spayed.

• Love 4

I seem to recall Leo flirting with Abby during the presidential campaign, right? She was seeing David at the time, but I don't think this is coming out of nowhere. I've always gotten a kick out of Leo, so I'd love to see him around more.

Me too! It's Kellerman, bang the s**t out of him. Also the scene with Olivia/Abby when Abby asked her if she brought her a dress and Liv said "I brought two dresses for you to choose from." A little dust got in my eye. Just sayin'.

Also the comparisons to Live as Helen of Troy, yup. Believable and she is gorgeous, if people are expected to believe Robin Weight is the most beautiful woman in the world they sure as hell can believe that Olivia Pope is. I've been stunned by Kerry Washington since Fantastic Four.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

I guess the reason I don't have an issue about it is that Helen went down in history as a creature purely of the male gaze. All we know about her is which men she was connected to and what they thought about her. Whether we would have thought she was beautiful kind of maybe doesn't matter - contemporanous accounts suggest that Cleopatra and Mata Hari weren't what we'd consider perfect, and they did just fine.

The only thing that's survived about Helen is that she was the most beautiful because her daddy and the various men chasing her said she was, and that's the kind of thing histories record.

• Love 4

I guess the reason I don't have an issue about it is that Helen went down in history as a creature purely of the male gaze. All we know about her is which men she was connected to and what they thought about her. Whether we would have thought she was beautiful kind of maybe doesn't matter - contemporanous accounts suggest that Cleopatra and Mata Hari weren't what we'd consider perfect, and they did just fine.

The only thing that's survived about Helen is that she was the most beautiful because her daddy and the various men chasing her said she was, and that's the kind of thing histories record.

That is one thing that I find uniquely interesting about this show - it can be interpreted as deconstructing a lot of the tropes involved in politics: the presidential mistress, the power-hungry Hera-wife, the draconian Chief of Staff.  Each of these tropes become people in this show, with their own stories, motivations, and interests (with varying success depending on episode).  Likewise, to compare Olivia to Helen of Troy is not to do it at face value - I see it as a way to look back at the myth of Helen of Troy and consider what her agency may have been in that story that was effaced from history because it likes to focus on men and what they do with their privates.

Heck, even the "good boyfriend" Jake has a lot more of a spine than the typical one does - he sets his boundaries, holds Olivia to them, insists on "his turn" when appropriate.  He's Lancelot, but less stupid.

This was the first time I'd ever caught this show. Heard so much about it and, since its eventual competitor on Thursdays- The Blacklist- is starting to suck, I figured, "why not see what all the hype is about".

I'm going to tell you it delivered. In spades...and clubs, and hearts and diamonds but I won't get too carried away.

I might not understand all of the characters right now, but I still got the story. I like how I can jump right in and still know what's happening.

For one, I love how Olivia Pope is, on the outside, such a strong, confident woman, only for us to know, on a deeper level, her confidence is essentially a shield for her many, many insecurities. I think this manifested itself best in the phone sex scene- some of you didn't like it because it wasn't sexy, but I think it wasn't meant to be sexy at all. It was meant to show Pope something she'd love to have but knows deep down inside that she can't.

To wit- first of all, the fact that it was over the phone is symbolic of the reality of the separation. Second of all, we saw Pope's facial expressions display a sense of longing and forlornness, indicating she knows just how hard the relationship really is. Third was Fitz's teasing tone, making her wait for the kiss, indicating that Fitz knows how badly Pope wants him, and yet Fitz needs to let her know he can't, or he won't, make it easy for her. Finally, I thought the line about her being able to "taste herself" seemed to be a metaphor for Pope's views on the relationship- Fitz seems to be implying that her intentions are purely based on her own needs and desires, and that she doesn't seem to understand (or maybe even care about) Fitz's position on the whole thing. Pope bases her whole life on getting everything she wants, and Fitz basically called her out for it. I thought it was perfect and apt, and I hope there's a bit more fallout from something like this.

As for the story of the week itself, I thought it was pretty well done. You knew in the end that Abby's abusive husband would get some comeuppance in the end, but I liked how the show didn't take the obvious route and showed the many challenges Abby had to face to resolve the conflict. "Out him myself you say? Yeah, well, we all know men of power come out unscathed and the female accusers disappear...plus I work for the President, how could he appreciate me taking on his favoured candidate?" It was also nice seeing Abby struggle to maintain her composure in public, facing the very real possibility that she had to see her abuser every day, and at least pretend that she's past everything when she isn't. I thought the scene with her and her ex-husband rang true as well- we didn't see some contrived strength, we saw Abby have to go overboard to show her ex that he didn't "win", indicating that the demons are still real and challenging.

I also liked how it was Leo Bergen being the one to out her ex-husband to the President- it's a nice reminder from the show that "not all men are evil abusers and that some do actually care". I thought the scene at the end with the Bourbon was pretty funny, and I laughed with Abby when Bergen quipped that, after Abby was surprised she let Bergen kiss her, "we can have more Bourbon and I'll touch your boob." Very light-hearted and touching, although part of me wonders if it's at all appropriate to make that kind of a joke to an abuse victim, but I'll cut Bergen some slack.

The Republican Senator...well, wasn't she a piece of work? I liked how gung-ho she was about the makeover and listening to everything that Pope wanted her to do; furthermore, I shared Pope's amazement that a campaign for a senator could be so shoddily arranged and put together prior to Pope's involvement. I get such a scenario might not be likely, but it did underscore how difficult a challenge it would be for Pope. I also liked how the Republican, despite Pope's best efforts, just wasn't "TV-ready", and how Pope needed to turn to her charismatic daughter for an effective campaign ad. I loved the child actress in this one too- she was cute but not over the top, and she commanded the screen well.

Overall, pretty good overall this week. Pity there's only two more episodes left until essentially February- but I guess this means I got plenty of time to catch up. :P

• Love 6

My cure for Creepy Fitz Fhone Sex: One mute button + a couple of minutes of playing Words With Friends until it's over.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this episode. They're all still thugs, but at least they're back to being entertaining thugs. Olivia's back! I didn't think I could like her again, but I do, not that she deserves it.

The Abby actress was terrific.

Leo reminds me, physically, so much of David. I wonder if they picked him because of that, or maybe I'm the only one who thinks so.

I'm trying to ignore the fact that I think the show has run into a deadend with both Fitz and Jake. They can get rid of Jake and find a new side thug for Liv, but I don't know how they can get rid of Olitz. I wish they'd find a way.

Really good episode.  I loved the return of crafty and powerful Olivia Pope but I also like how she was there for Abby when she was breaking down.  It's hard to remember sometimes that Olivia and Abby have known each other for the longest time of all the gladiators.  I LOVED the confrontation between Olivia and Rowan.  The battle lines are drawn now!  I liked how Rowan told Olivia that he had essentially done all of what he had for the country and for her and Olivia retorting that he had spent decades doing the wrong thing.  For you to feel like you've sacrificed so much for your child only to be told by her that you've wasted decades staining your soul must be devastating.  

You can really tell how embittered Rowan is by the racism he's experienced in America.  "Shining their shoes so you can see yourself in the reflection" and "You never choose them over me" both have strong racial connotations and it's been a really big part of Rowan's character from his introduction.  Telling Olivia how she had to work twice as hard to get half as far and his relish at listing Fitz's numerous privileges and then calling him "boy", a term white men used to emasculate black men.  I feel sorry for him in a way.  Making his fortune as a black guy in 1950s/60s Detroit and America couldn't have been easy and certainly wouldn't help him dispel any unhealthy desires for power.  Add that to him seeing and helping "how the sausage is made" for decades in a way that Olivia still doesn't understand would probably help to create quite a gap between him and his daughter.  Even now, Olivia's much more optimistic than Rowan.

Edited by lion10
  • Love 5

I also liked how it was Leo Bergen being the one to out her ex-husband to the President- it's a nice reminder from the show that "not all men are evil abusers and that some do actually care". I thought the scene at the end with the Bourbon was pretty funny, and I laughed with Abby when Bergen quipped that, after Abby was surprised she let Bergen kiss her, "we can have more Bourbon and I'll touch your boob." Very light-hearted and touching, although part of me wonders if it's at all appropriate to make that kind of a joke to an abuse victim, but I'll cut Bergen some slack.

I have to admit that I was surprised when Leo reacted the way he did. He's always been presented as an amoral pig who'll do anything to win so I fully expected him to call Abby a liar and start questioning her story. (Again, the idea that no one would know Abby and Chip were exes and that the marriage ended badly is ludicrous but I digress...). Instead he not only believed her instantly, he protected her and he did it by tanking his own client. I never would've thought him willing to do that. There's more to Leo Bergen than I thought. 

• Love 3

I have to admit that I was surprised when Leo reacted the way he did. He's always been presented as an amoral pig who'll do anything to win so I fully expected him to call Abby a liar and start questioning her story. (Again, the idea that no one would know Abby and Chip were exes and that the marriage ended badly is ludicrous but I digress...). Instead he not only believed her instantly, he protected her and he did it by tanking his own client. I never would've thought him willing to do that. There's more to Leo Bergen than I thought. 

Agreed.  I admit that I'm a bit biased against his type where I'm always suspicious of his motives, so I was pleasantly surprised when he did have a conscience.  Good play, Show.

If I ignore the creepy Fitz phone sex, I actually really liked this episode.  

The Abby storyline was just done so well.  Showing her strength and resolve juxtaposed with moments of still being absolutely terrified.  We had always heard about the brutal violence from Abby's well connected husband, but it was nice to see a resolution to that back story.  It was also great to see the show continue to actually show us the friendship between Abby and Liv.  I know that they are supposed to be friends, but the last two episodes have really showed it to us.  Liv showing up with the dresses and prioritizing Abby was really nice to see.  Also, before I had no feelings one way or another about Leo, but seeing that he put a human being above the political engine was a great thing to see....and seeing Abby smiling and laughing at the end showed that healing is possible.  So glad her hubby got what was coming to him and for once it wasn't Liv who did it. 

Papa Pope....can someone kill him please?  

Huck and his son just breaks my heart.  I did love that his son was the one who found him.  

• Love 5

Can someone remind me when Abby and David broke up? I really liked those two together because they were nice, normal people in a sea of crazy, but for whatever reason I assumed they were still together. Obviously not though, considering that Abby kissed the guy from Private Practice (they were great together, too). Just curious.

Great episode! Maybe even the best of the season.

• Love 1

Really good episode.  I loved the return of crafty and powerful Olivia Pope but I also like how she was there for Abby when she was breaking down.  It's hard to remember sometimes that Olivia and Abby have known each other for the longest time of all the gladiators.  I LOVED the confrontation between Olivia and Rowan.  The battle lines are drawn now!  I liked how Rowan told Olivia that he had essentially done all of what he had for the country and for her and Olivia retorting that he had spent decades doing the wrong thing.  For you to feel like you've sacrificed so much for your child only to be told by her that you've wasted decades staining your soul must be devastating.  

You can really tell how embittered Rowan is by the racism he's experienced in America.  "Shining their shoes so you can see yourself in the reflection" and "You never choose them over me" both have strong racial connotations and it's been a really big part of Rowan's character from his introduction.  Telling Olivia how she had to work twice as hard to get half as far and his relish at listing Fitz's numerous privileges and then calling him "boy", a term white men used to emasculate black men.  I feel sorry for him in a way.  Making his fortune as a black guy in 1950s/60s Detroit and America couldn't have been easy and certainly wouldn't help him dispel any unhealthy desires for power.  Add that to him seeing and helping "how the sausage is made" for decades in a way that Olivia still doesn't understand would probably help to create quite a gap between him and his daughter.  Even now, Olivia's much more optimistic than Rowan.

Yep, it frames why he takes issue with the trash Olivia loses her mind over.  He knows Fitz is bullshit which is why he killed Jerry.  In his twisted way, he is exerting his force as Fitz's (the white man's) equal.  You bring down mine, I will take yours down too.

I must say this show is more nuanced than I give it credit for (or my imagine is running wild after finishing Gone Girl this morning).  I thought Rowan was jealous of Fitz and Jake, but now I am not so sure of that.  Olivia won't listen to Rowan and she has left him no choice but to destroy these assholes because his daughter won't stay away from them.

I hate Fitz so I am on team Rowan, even with the weekly bloviating.

Edited by ToukieSmith
  • Love 2

Here's a theory, it's out there and a long ramble, so bear with me:

What if what went down really was Jake's plan as Tom initially stated. Rowan gets B-6-13 back and runs with it because a) the plan was already in motion, b) it got him the ability to re-disappear Maya, 3) his hatred of Fitz made not moving forward with the plan impossible. Tom seemed to prefer Jake to Rowan. Jake was willing to get his hands dirty (see James and the other two he killed and buried) while Rowan never did the dirt himself.

Jake is furious because he can't have Oliva and he hasn't gotten over his anger at being left hanging out to dry by his supposed good friend Fitz, remember his rant against Fitz prior to being given Command, and take his opportunity to strike back. Jake finally thinks he has won when Olivia agrees to go into the sun with him. However, things start going left when Harrison is killed as a result of Rowan's scheming to get back in charge.

Jake knows the ish is about to hit the fan and reminds Tom that loyalty to him is preferable to loyalty to Rowan. Knowing that Fitz is looking for any reason to get him for sleeping with Olivia, Jake's plan is to have Tom point the finger at him. He knows Olivia will dig and eventually all roads will lead to Rowan and his exoneration. With his plan in motion, Jake is free to try to get Fitz to see the "truth" about Rowan in an effort to see if any part of the man he once thought Fitz was is still there, or if he is simply the man he now knows Fitz to be is all that is left.

This explains why Tom failed to kill Jake when instructed (Jake is his boss), and why Rowan felt no need to tie up the loose-end that is Tom (in Rowan's eyes, there is no loose end because he really didn't order the murder of Jerry III, Jake actually is guilty as charged). In this case, just as was the case with Maya, Rowan is being played and he does not see the big picture and the plan Jake started to put in place the moment Fitz called Rowan to OPA for the big confab last season (Jake knew the tide was turning against him and he began to put things in motion to get everybody back. In this scenario, he gets Olivia back two ways, first as the woman in his life and second by revealing the truth about Rowan and punishing her for once again choosing Daddy and Fitz over him). If any part of this is correct, all roads will lead to Jake becoming Command again and Fitz better watch out because if we thought Jake was gunning for him before, wait till Jake is free to exact his revenge on Fitz for ignoring his evidence and his treatment when incarcerated.

Yep, it frames why he takes issue with the trash Olivia loses her mind over. He knows Fitz is bullshit which is why he killed Jerry. In his twisted way, he is exerting his force as Fitz's (the white man's) equal. You bring down mine, I will take yours down too.

I must say this show is more nuanced than I give it credit for (or my imagine is running wild after finishing Gone Girl this morning). I thought Rowan was jealous of Fitz and Jake, but now I am not so sure of that. Olivia won't listen to Rowan and she has left him no choice but to destroy these assholes because his daughter won't stay away from them.

I hate Fitz so I am on team Rowan, even with the weekly bloviating.

And I think it's interesting to note that Rowan doesn't at all understand what Olivia sees in Fitz (I don't either but I'm a straight guy so...). He probably sees it as an affront to himself for Olivia to work so hard to prop up Fitz. Fitz was literally handed the job of POTUS by a team led by Olivia; he should have lost the election. Contrast that to Rowan where he had to probably claw his way to the position of Command and I think it becomes clearer why he holds Fitz in such personal disdain. Fitz is the physical embodiment of the system working to prop up a white guy who was not qualified for the job. I think Rowan respects Jake a lot more than he does Fitz.

• Love 3

Danielg342, you came in at the perfect time, it seems. This is actually the best episode of what was till now a pretty sluggish season.

Well, what are the odds? :p Maybe I'm a good luck charm- I sure hope so, anyway.

And I think it's interesting to note that Rowan doesn't at all understand what Olivia sees in Fitz (I don't either but I'm a straight guy so...).

I'd say David marry, Jake shag, and Fitz cliff. That's just me, I guess.

• Love 2

I think Fitz breaking down in her apartment is the private place he could do it.  I hope it was because of everything- losing his son and therefore winning the election and then having no one to turn to.  Let's face it, he always turns to Olivia but now she is gone too. (Sounds like Mellie would not have been any help at this point either).   

I think Mellie could've been some help if Fitz actually tried to support her--they could've supported each other during that time. 

Fitz will never truly have any privacy as long as he's president and, is it really so wrong to cry in front of Mellie? Olivia is someone he always turned to, but Jerry was he and Mellie's child. Would not mourn with the woman who shared the child with you? Fitz put himself in the position that he's in. Millie's done some stupid, fucked up shit, but she doesn't deserve to be closed out like that in such a trying time. I could probably understand if Fitz were a better man who didn't try to kill himself NOT because his son unexpectedly died, but rather his mistress left without a trace. If he'd care about finding his son justice than punishing his mistress' "boyfriend"/lover all because he left with her and they constantly had sex. Truth be told, Olivia is placed above everything and everyone in his life--including his kids. 

• Love 1
If a knitting needle had been closer at hand than the mute button on the remote during Fitz's phone sex talk, I'd be typing this while recovering from two self-perforated eardrums.

Oh, honey, don't ever use the knitting needles for bodily harm; taking a chance on residue ending up on your nice merino or bamboo (thus ruining a lovely project) just isn't worth it. I sort of recited my stitch pattern while the phone sex scene was going on, since "knit two, purl two" is hella soothing compared to the dreck that was on the screen.

Wait a minute now. Tom KILLED the presidents son and he's lecturing Olivia for giving the president a sad?

THIS! So much this. All of Tom's mess about protecting HIS President but meh, it's okay to take out his son. I mean, that can't possibly hurt 'my president', right? Ugh.T

I don't know what's more appalling, the fact that Tom is lecturing Olivia in light of what he did to Fitz (and, more importantly to me, what Tom did to Mellie- she trusted him) or how right Tom was that Liv leaving him was more upsetting to Fitz than the death of his child.

While I'm glad to have Old Mellie back (hated by Fitz or no), I will miss Chicken Fried Mellie. I love the Mellie character, even when I loathe what the character is doing.

• Love 1

Oh, honey, don't ever use the knitting needles for bodily harm; taking a chance on residue ending up on your nice merino or bamboo (thus ruining a lovely project) just isn't worth it. I sort of recited my stitch pattern while the phone sex scene was going on, since "knit two, purl two" is hella soothing compared to the dreck that was on the screen.

I don't know what's more appalling, the fact that Tom is lecturing Olivia in light of what he did to Fitz (and, more importantly to me, what Tom did to Mellie- she trusted him) or how right Tom was that Liv leaving him was more upsetting to Fitz than the death of his child.

While I'm glad to have Old Mellie back (hated by Fitz or no), I will miss Chicken Fried Mellie. I love the Mellie character, even when I loathe what the character is doing.

I don't think Mellie had much to do with Tom did she? Tom was always Fitz's guy who aided the Olitz affair, and Hal was the one who Mellie was close to and who kept her informed on what was going on.

• Love 1