Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

Jenn could be civil to Gwen, but not be friendly.

As a character, Gwen doesn't offer much. She seems to be a plot device to interfere with Xander searching for Sarah. Gwen could offer to help out and admit Kristen blackmailed her in to helping her break out of jail. And then see where the chips lie. She is basing her great love for Xandy on him never knowing what happened to Sarah or finding her and getting any closure on his relationship with her. Sarah may want him still, she may not want him.

Didn't get the running in to Kate. Maybe it was a rewritten scene.

I did like Abs working with Xander. Maybe Basic Black does have some video footage of Sarah going to pick up her dress and then 'vanishing' - i.e. ending up in the wine cellar.

Paulina, Chanel would probably prefer a nice cheque to any wedding gifts. She can buy what she wants.

Johnny certainly wants to be a star - the easy way. The JDevil has picked a good one.

EJ, you are right about being framed. And it is Lucas and now your brother. Go get them all!

• Love 7
On 1/5/2022 at 2:10 PM, RedElf said:
  On 1/5/2022 at 2:08 PM, nilyank said:

Yeah because newspaper media is such a growth industry and excellent investment to make.

Yeah, similar to how retail developers are just rushing to demolish shopping malls and replace them with a big box store. (Which is what Horton Square is and it's weird as hell that this show seems to be treating it like it's an actual downtown with history.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

The two have worked together for more than a decade, and we've never heard any behind the scenes rumblings regarding their relationship. AZ even has a photo of her and NB on her Instagram calling them both beautiful. I don't think there's any reason to attack one to prop the other. Based on the data we have, I get the sense they are supportive of each other and would not want or request that type of propping. 

Wow. No one is attacking or said anything about behind the scenes whatevererisms. I don’t care if they are friends or enemies, for that matter, in real life . I don’t follow any social media, that’s a soap opera in itself. It’s great you get the feeling they are supportive of each other . good because even co-workers in the real workplace should be supportive of one another! 
This was from a post upthread about facial work Kate has had done . I was comparing AZ/NB, and in my opinion, NB is on par with Kate’s enhancements, just unfortunate she’s so young and IN MY OPINION, has gone too far. AZ looks natural, at least you can see her facial  expressions(and emotional)

NB looks unnatural , expressionless. It’s not an attack, it’s how I see it. And it definitely has nothing to do with anyones  personality or  relationships off screen.No propping one for the other off screen. However, if you want to talk acting..I definitely think AZ is far better at showing her emotional connections than  NB. That’s my opinion.

Your sensing that the two wouldn’t want or request that “propping” is what it is. Your opinion. I’m sure your correct, since you follow them on SM. Let’s not have any hard feelings about it.

But that wasn’t what the post was about

• Love 2
15 hours ago, KBrownie said:

The Gwen propping today is off the charts INSANE. 

Jack and Jennifer are leaving for who knows how long after just getting Jennifer back and we have to spend TWO whole days with them either spending time with or talking about useless, waste Gwen.  

I mean, OF COURSE Jennifer was going to have to put her time in to whitewash and make all the deliberate and intentional crimes of this failure of retcon somehow acceptable and okay.  They couldn't let Jennifer understandably, reasonably and realistically  harbor any anger or resentment towards Gwen for all the nasty, reprehensible things she did to Jennifer's family.  Nope.  She has to just get on board with ignoring and excusing to prop such a worthless, selfish, entitled, character.  Gwen could give AF about any of them.  Jack, and now Jennifer are falling all over themselves making excuses for her and welcoming her, and coddling her and she just laps it all up but has nothing for anyone in return.  She's STILL attacking Abby for no reason and they just stand there like it nothing.

What a waste of a visit.  Jack and Jennifer don't even mention their other child, but spend all their time on this bitch.  I CANNOT wait for JJ to show up and take his turn of welcoming Gwen into a family she intentionally and non-sensically tried to destroy.  Viable characters shouldn't need such support.  They should be able to stand on their own.  The absolute anithesis of TELLING and DICTATING, rather than showing by action.  

This show KNOWS Gwen is a utter failure, but will keep forcing her square into this round hole.  You MUST like her.  You MUST feel sorry for poor, poor Gwen.  EVERYTHING she did was for a reason and shouldn't be held against her.  

I wasn't around for Dr. Tan, but I've heard all about it.  This has to have or be reaching those levels, yes?

Unbelievable.

giphy.gif

• Love 8
On 1/6/2022 at 2:17 AM, boes said:

Right?  I'm surprised they passed up the chance to revive a button hook factory or see if they could get in on creating a home coal delivery.

Though, going by Jenn's holiday Bund Deutscher Mädel outfit, if they'd said they were opening up a Nazi memorabilia shop I'd have no problem believing them.

Maybe these outfits are straight out of Ms Reeves closet. 🤔😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4

It's interesting that Sarah's abduction was facilitated by Kristen injecting her with that syringe which was only in that room as a result of Abby and Gwen's feud, and now both are involved again in Sarah's plotline

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Maybe these outfits are straight out of Ms Reeves closet. 🤔😂

She lives in Tennessee, I believe.  A dress like that might be more appropriate during a southern summer...

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

That wasn't the Salem Inn, it was Julie's restaurant. But I agree the scene with Kate came out of nowhere and also went nowhere. Seemed like it was setting something up but Jack and Jen are leaving, so also felt unnecessarily shoe-horned in.

I saw the episode, but was not paying attention to when Sami and Lucas left. Where did they go? Is Alison Sweeny's run wrapped up again, and this time Bryan Datillo is off for a while, too? I assume at least Lucas will be back when the other shoe finally drops.

Oh, that makes sense, that it was Julie's restaurant.   I did think it was a different view of the Salem Inn, and forgot about the restaurant.  And, yes, the Kate scene seemed strange. J&J's Salem goodbye would have been better without Kate interrupting it.  

As for Sami and Lucas, I don't think we know where they were going, but I might have missed a scene.

• Love 2

AZ has had lots of work done and it's noticeable.  She has breast implants, fillers, and botox. Her hair is thin and she's always worn pieces for volume. She is not natural at all. To pretend otherwise and tear down other women while lifting her up is laughable. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

She lives in Tennessee, I believe.  A dress like that might be more appropriate during a southern summer...

Or perhaps.....just perhaps......that outfit was a clue Missy left us, begging to be rescued.  Going by that outfit alone, I think it's VERY possible she's been kidnapped and forced to be a den mother to the dreaded

giphy.gif

Regardless, though, she DOES have a lovely family!

I wonder if Willy Wonka allows them to watch Peacock Premium?

• LOL 13

I actually really liked the Jenn/Gwen scene on a, "these actresses work well together," level.

I know it's hard to say what is "in character" and "out-of-character" for someone like Jennifer Rose Horton. She's had so many storylines over decades that you can always find a storyline to support your argument or negate someone else's argument.

That being said, I find it hard to believe that Jennifer would be so teary eyed and emotionally vulnerable with a women who may or may not have killed her mother. I know there was dialogue where she says she accepts it was an accident, and she hopes Gwen is telling the truth. As someone who watched the Jennifer/Laura storylines from the 90s, I just question if Jenn would be this forgiving, especially to the point of welcoming Gwen in the Horton home. Jennifer had so much pain regarding the years (18, I believe) that Laura was not in her life due to her mental illness that I question if Jenn would be so mature at literally losing her mother in such a ambiguous fashion. It seems to me it should bring up so many deep-seeded feelings of anger, abandonment, and recurring loss that Jennifer felt in the 90s.

I also realized this episode that Jennifer is an orphan. Bill died during Doug's anniversary episode, and now Laura is gone. I wish we could have gotten some dialogue acknowledging that. I know people here don't like Julie, but a Julie/Jennifer scene discussing Jennifer's feelings about being an orphan would have been really beautiful and appropriate.

I also realized 4 out of the 5 original Horton children have passed. Marie is the only living child. I assume Tommy Horton has died since I can't remember the last time he was mentioned. 

I don't care about any of the Dimeras. However, if Chad and Johnny hate EJ so much, why are they living in his house? I know the show has limited sets, but at this point, Chad/Abby should be in the Horton house, and Johnny/Chanel should be with either Paulina or Marlena/John. 

The Sami/Marlena photo in the condo is constantly moving to make sure it's always in frame. During the Christmas/exorcism episodes, the picture was on top of the fireplace in constant view for scenes. Today, it was next to the couch - where it usually is - in constant view for scenes.

• Love 8

Allie looked so pretty.  Chanel I usually love her fashion.  Not today.  Does Johnny own any other suit ?   
At a least Anna is consistent putting her foot in her mouth.  I can relate lol.  
   Wish I turned the show a minute earlier.  Did not need to see Susan vomit on Marlena. 

• Love 7

My tv channel lost reception so I missed the last 15 minutes.  Read what happened on Twitter, though, and I'm sure we'll see a flashback on Monday.  My reception, btw, worked fine for the Susan vomit scene. 🙄

• LOL 6

Poor channel.   Glad she has family around her.  That was just cold.  
It looks like EJ and Allie realize something isn’t right with Johnny.  
    Did I miss something?   Why would Susan need to go to the ER and wow did they see her fast.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Oh good, Susan is back.

When she was shrieking and flinging holy water at DOCTOR MARLENA EVANS, I thought what a good time for Marlena to feign still having the devil in her. "Yup, you're right, still bad, gotta go do some sketchy shit!" *DOOR SLAM*

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, buffynut said:

My tv channel lost reception so I missed the last 15 minutes.  Read what happened on Twitter, though, and I'm sure we'll see a flashback on Monday.  My reception, btw, worked fine for the Susan vomit scene. 🙄

I'm so sorry you got that part. If ever there was a day to miss the entire episode, today was it!  Between the snuffling babies 1 year olds on the baby monitor, Johnny's terrible "Here's Johnny" impression, and vomiting Susan, it was definitely a MUST MISS Friday.  Sure killed my appetite for lunch. 

1 hour ago, tribeca said:

Poor channel.   Glad she has family around her.  That was just cold.  
It looks like EJ and Allie realize something isn’t right with Johnny.  
    Did I miss something?   Why would Susan need to go to the ER and wow did they see her fast.  

I'm guessing it was that seizure fit she threw just before ruining Marlena's shoes. But I'll admit I was more distracted being grossed out and wondering if John was going to have to come home and clean the carpet.  The whole thing was bizarre.  Since Salem doesn't have Covid I guess there are no long lines in the ER. Then again, they are always short on doctors.  I had to wonder if Tripp got called in for another patient and then just happened to be free to see Susan or if the on-call service who summoned him is also psychic. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, brisbydog said:

It's interesting that Sarah's abduction was facilitated by Kristen injecting her with that syringe which was only in that room as a result of Abby and Gwen's feud, and now both are involved again in Sarah's plotline

I wonder if that was intentional so that way Abby/Gwen are tied into it but that might be giving Ron too much credit.

7 hours ago, Pearl said:

AZ has had lots of work done and it's noticeable.  She has breast implants, fillers, and botox. Her hair is thin and she's always worn pieces for volume. She is not natural at all. To pretend otherwise and tear down other women while lifting her up is laughable. 

Its better work than what Nadia has done which is rather unfortunate because Nadia was so stunning before and she took it a bit far however I blame the industry and the female audience for perpetuating that women have to look young and hot all the time while the men can be old and have gray hair with far less judgement from the audience.

• Love 9

Tripp's a real doctor now? He finished med school. That was fastest med school ever. He's now Dr. Johnson.

Lol at EJ calling Paulina new money and calling his home looking like a Vegas chapel. Then his face when she took his arm. 

Abby and Chad weren't invited when they live in the house? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, RedElf said:

I wonder if Susan is so sick because it's her grandson who's possessed.

Or maybe she took a good look at herself in that outfit in a mirror.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 18

What was with the scene of Eli hearing the babies crying and going to check on them with tense music playing, focusing on the baby monitor? Seemed like something bad was about to happen. Maybe we'll find out on Monday, but it was odd to not even get a hint that something was wrong unless I missed something.  I know Eli said earlier that they should be asleep for the rest of the night, but hey, babies wake up and cry. 

Also didn't get the point of Susan's stomach ache and needing ER treatment, but: 

3 hours ago, RedElf said:

I wonder if Susan is so sick because it's her grandson who's possessed.

I guess that's a plausible enough explanation if that's the case.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, nilyank said:

EJ didn't want to invite his backstabbing brother.

I get that, EJ should kick him out. But if he's still living there wouldn't they hear a party downstairs. What if they just walk in. Lol

• Love 2

I don't get making a massive effort to throw a last minute party and invite the guests a couple hours before they are to attend. Uh, do any of these folks realize that people aren't available at the drop of the hat? Plus find an outfit, do the hair, buy a gift, etc. Give people 2-3 days notice to arrange for said stuff, and babysitters, etc. I know it made me angry when my aunt would call and invite me to some family thing the day before or the morning of. I work full time and need a few days notice. 

And there is poor Lani having to go solo to the wedding reception.

Poor EJ mocking the decorations from his son's now mother in law. No, they aren't him but Paulina put the party together. I didn't think it looked that bad. Poor guy also wondering how much it will cost the family for the probable upcoming annulment.

Johnny and Chanel? If you know you are the guests of honour at the party, please shower and clean up. Welcome back Tony and Anna. She is always gracious.

Tripp is just all of a sudden a doctor? There is no ceremony or certificate or anything? Too bad he got hospital duties.

Susan Banks can't call first before dropping by? I didn't appreciate the upchuck (it is not a funny sight gag) and there was no need to take her to the hospital to be checked out. For probably eating something that came up. If she had been vomiting for hours, maybe, and that is to rule out food poisoning.

It is possible that she has some energetic connection to Johnny. I am affected by my soul connection 'twin's' energies and I do get pain and emotional distress and a double dose. She may be sensitive to her grandson.

Johnny must like his red suit and hopes to get the full cost-per-wear value from it. Unless that is his only suit. But he should have a black or grey one for things like funerals and other business occasions. I liked Allie's dress. Chanel's was a little too long for her.

Nice move at the end, J Devil. Telling your new wife that you don't want to be married to her anymore. It's been what, a couple of weeks? Wonder if he is still fighting the Devil and hopes to do this to protect Chanel from his possession. And referencing grandpa.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Tripp is just all of a sudden a doctor? There is no ceremony or certificate or anything? Too bad he got hospital duties.

The hospital was desperate since Kayla left town leaving it doctorless. They had to promote Tripp so that he could see all the patients in Salem.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

11 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

What was with the scene of Eli hearing the babies crying and going to check on them with tense music playing, focusing on the baby monitor? Seemed like something bad was about to happen. Maybe we'll find out on Monday, but it was odd to not even get a hint that something was wrong unless I missed something.  I know Eli said earlier that they should be asleep for the rest of the night, but hey, babies wake up and cry. 

Yea, I found that strange, too. I thought maybe the devil was going to come through the baby monitor or something since he has a habit of coming through devices like that.

DF seemed to randomly do an America accent at one point yesterday and I was rolling. It made no sense lol.

I need so many more EJ/Paulina scenes. They're hilarious together.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

EJ is talking about "festive" decorations, while he is wearing that tie. The jokes write themselves. 

I don't agree with EJ's descriptions of the Dimera family, at all. I also thought his toast was horrendous. He mostly harped on how much he and Johnny don't get along for the vast majority of the toast. Finally, he said he loved his son. Toasts that focus on the conflict you have with a person should really be reevaluated. 

I know there's nothing wrong with it, but I really hate seeing people imbibe when they are caring for small infants.

I love Anna Dimera, but why is she on this show? Ron either needs to integrate her better into the show, or she and Tony need to go to an offscreen island.

I like Paulina Price, but I am a little resentful that Ron is putting so much effort into integrating her into the show. Don't get me wrong; that's what Ron should be doing for all of the characters. I'm resentful that Paulina can so effortlessly go from being with Hortons (via Eli and the twins), to the Carvers (via Lani and Abe) to the Dimeras (via Chanel and Johnny) to the Evans/Blacks (via Marlena).  She and Kate (another character who gets to seamlessly move around the canvas) got to discuss their similar pasts. I wish more characters got to freely move around the canvas like Paulina, Kate, and Susan (when she's around) get to move.

Marlena needs a restraining order against Susan. Nothing about this is funny or cute anymore. Also, are supposed to think Kristen and Susan don't look alike anymore? There are a couple of times in just the last few weeks during this possession storyline where ED returned. Is this supposed to be like the Two Abbys?

I was embarrassed for CB/Johnny. I know a lot of people on the board talk about how "fun" this possession storyline must be for the actors. Honestly, I cringe. I wonder if they are as embarrassed playing this silliness as I am watching it. 

I'm always curious when the show gives the Gen Z characters such old references like The Shining. Granted. I watched a lot of old movies and tv shows, and I'm a millennial. I Love Lucy, Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Show, etc. I'm not saying it's impossible for younger generations to watch older movies. I know it's not. I do still find it odd when they are given those references; I find it odd when they all understand the references. Especially since the younger characters rarely get to reference more contemporary pop culture occurrences. To be fair, I think the show is 6 months ahead. With the way pop culture moves now, something can explode, peter out, explode, and peter out again by the time it airs on Days.

• Love 5

Nothing could top the embarrassment of the Santa strip show on the digital show.  The actor who played Zander was really into it lol.  
    Hoping nothing is wrong with the carver twins.   They are so adorable.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I too interpreted the scene w/Eli hearing the snuffling twins on the monitor as something nefarious to come based on the background music. Personally, I was hoping Eli would make a face, turn to the camera and say, "Why the hell do my one year olds sound like that?" 🤔

I rolled my eyes at Lanni chasing down perps all day (and presumably sounding successful about it). Like did Ron throw that line in because the viewers are always making cracks about the worthless Salem PD? So we are to believe that Lanni was worn out from running down shoplifters stealing confectionaries from Sweet Bits (did Rafe pay for that cake he gave Ava?) and diners who stiffed their waiter with the bill at the Brady Pub (I saw Rex walk upstairs with that beer in hand but I did not see him pay for it) while Phillip and Sarah remain missing people and Kristin, a convicted felon, is still on the lamb.

Paulina’s money is “new” money; EJ thinks the Dimera money is “old money”??? I think I’d call it dirty, mob, or laundered money. Organized crime was Stefano’s origin on the show.

Agree the toast was odd. 

Johnny's delivery of the "Here's Johnny" line fell flat. I've been thinking this actor is either going to finally sink or swim w/the devil role, and yesterday rather convinced me that at this rate he'll be at the bottom of the ocean like the Titanic fast. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I was embarrassed for CB/Johnny. I know a lot of people on the board talk about how "fun" this possession storyline must be for the actors. Honestly, I cringe. I wonder if they are as embarrassed playing this silliness as I am watching it. 

I'm always curious when the show gives the Gen Z characters such old references like The Shining. Granted. I watched a lot of old movies and tv shows, and I'm a millennial. I Love Lucy, Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Show, etc. I'm not saying it's impossible for younger generations to watch older movies. I know it's not. I do still find it odd when they are given those references; I find it odd when they all understand the references

We’re on, what, day 3 or 4 of Johnny as the Devil and I’m already beyond tired of that smirk.

Johnny’s supposed to be a film buff, so him making those references to classics makes sense. Plus, the younger characters don’t always get it. Chanel wasn’t sure what he was talking about when he referenced The Exorcist since she’d never seen it.

• Love 4

"No, no Gwen! Please don't go!"

Hearing Jennifer say that to Gwen is really bizarre for me.

Jennifer is the character with the far longer history...and I actually did enjoy seeing Missy back on the screen again for that exact reason.

But miss Missy has disappointed me/us as a person, so even though I'm not sad to see her go, I'm sad to see Jennifer leave at a time when she could be contributing to the narrative and holding Gwen more accountable. Jack is obviously blinded by guilt and a sense of responsibility. And Abigail has been made out to be the bad person so of course she's going to try to be the good person to compensate. Jennifer could have been the silent objective observer to some degree.

But then we have Gwen played by Emily, who actually has a nice screen presence and a mess of a character to play. There's no reason to like her or root for her aside from Emily having big doe eyes and a bit of chemistry with Paul Telfer (who is great with everybody).

She could go tomorrow and I wouldn't miss her at all but I think Emily deserves not to be shuffled aaside. And yet I know nothing about her political beliefs or how she's made others feel on set.

It's just so gross the way the show constantly seems to bend in favor of the characters the producers are pushing to the forefront. It used to be that someone like Joe Mascolo would get lots of screen time in spite of the horrible things Stefano had done because we loved him so much. He was evil, but with a warmth and a wit and a natural charm that made him compelling. Neither Gwen nor Ben are in possession of that. And yet so much of DOOL these days is about them. Why?

Part of me is still left wondering how Jennifer would have reacted to her mother's death if the character hadn't been shuffled off screen for so long. Would she have taken more immediate action against Gwen? Is Jennifer only being portrayed as forgiving to an extreme because she isn't part of the regular cast?

We've lost Laura, Jennifer and Jack...and Gwen remains. I don't exactly adore the first three, but at least I knew why they hung around.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, tribeca said:

Nothing could top the embarrassment of the Santa strip show on the digital show.  The actor who played Zander was really into it lol.  

They didn't shoot it well. The strip club routines from a decade ago were also cringey, but funny and entertaining too. Here the cameras were just randomly placed. The actors did fine, I thought, but they should have gone more Magic Mike with it in how it was shot.

Telfer is a beast - did you think he wouldn't be fine with showing off his hard work? LOL 

• LOL 4

Carson Boatman is fun when he gets to play an asshole. At first I was disappointed they didn't cast Johnny as a darkly handsome dude i.e. a Young Tom Ellis or something, but I'm finding him really cute as the Devil. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

The show is just so awful now and the Gwen worship on the show is just as bad as the tan man, if not worst. How can Jennifer be okay with her.  I have no words for Jack, I am just resigned to the fact that we Jack fans will never get good stories for him.  It is a shame because Matthew could deliver when the writing is excellent.

I find it really disheartening that JER's signature storyline: Marlena's possession is still ruining the show, decades later.. 

Can Susan just die already?  What an annoying gnat that she has become under Ron.  She was tolerable and sympathetic during the 90's.. I am just so sick of her nonsense..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 9

"Chanel, I'm sorry...

giphy.gif

I'm gonna have to give this rose to someone else."

For a second there, I though G-devil thought he was on The Bachelor.

EJ wincing when Johnny rolled off with the friends with benefits line/suggestion was priceless. When EJ, hardly the pillar of good behavior and successful relationships, thinks you've gone too far, then you have gone too far. 😁

Susan: "What happened here?"

I was hoping Tony would summon his best Tim Curry and say, "It's the a chandelier. It fell down. Ah, nearly killed us."

21ad9784c3c8a5bdb6fa24fc43f0bbd0.gif

Edited by Peanut6711
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1

There were a lot of weird acting choices in this episode.  
EJ I could not tell what is emotion was.  Was he proud, concerned or amused with his son? 

Tony line delivery made me wonder if he was possessed.  

Lani looked constipated.

Paulina goes to the ER for a sprained ankle.  Don’t this people know expensive the emergency room is? 
   John and Abe were nice.  Although John why you opening with such a big bid?

looks like Abe is thinking of forgiving Paulina. 

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 3
Just now, Sidney said:

Ron will just switch her out for Bonnie, Hattie, or Leo.🙄

I am grading on a Susan-curve here, but I'll take Bonnie over Susan. I wasn't watching during the Hattie or Leo eras (although I am aware of them and their annoying behaviours).

• Love 1