Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: Jessa's Engagement

I think they did have the wedding they wanted. She does have ten bridesmaids, which is even more than Jill. But to get that, she had to sacrifice a beautiful venue like the chapel.

• Love 1

Me too! I preferred Jessa’s shy, simple “yes” to Jill’s overly enthusiastic, “yeah, totally.” I hate to say it but Jill seems to have the emotional maturity of a 12 year old girl.

Totally! Considering there's only a year's difference between them, I think Jessa is more mature than Jill. (as mature as you can get in this family) Jill just comes across as a love struck teenager.

Totally! Considering there's only a year's difference between them, I think Jessa is more mature than Jill. (as mature as you can get in this family) Jill just comes across as a love struck teenager.

I agree to an extent.  I also think that they're living two totally (!) different love stories and are in it for different reasons.  Jill is after a fairytale life with her prince charming and Jessa....well, we can guess what she's after!  It doesn't help that Jill is naturally more excitable because she really does come off sounding like a teenager.  Jessa is a lot more composed and her aloofness makes her seem more mature. 

• Love 2

In some ways Jessa is more mature, in other ways, Jill is. Putting the photo of that kiss really isn't a very mature thing to do, any more than her parents prancing around at the golf course kidding and saying "You can't do this!" was mature.

Jill shows a great deal of maturity when handling young children and getting them to cooperate and be productive in a loving yet in charge manner. And she was obviously very much appreciated by the women at her shower whom she knew through her training as a midwife.

But yes, she as a young woman in love and a newly married woman, she seems sometimes painfully young. And, of course, she always did seem to be repeating lines from a script rather than having genuine thoughts of her own.

• Love 6

I am in the minority for liking Jill it seems. I rather depend on her to be in charge or ask her for help over Jessa. 

With this season and seeing how Jessa was responding to her parents, and up until now with the IG photo, I wouldn't be surprised if she and Ben are secretly plotting a new life and then running away in the dead of the night never to be heard from again. 

• Love 5

superguard 9: You were NOT homeschooled.

Good eye there.

Jill seems to be a more mature person when she acts within boundaries that have already been set for her, ie, ordering the kids around, doing her assigned chores at the TTH, and being a midwife assistant; those things were cut and dry for her and she was handed the rule book, but take her out of a prepared script, like being in a relationship and now a married woman, she is lost like a 14 year old wound be. It adds up to an earlier post of mine, that the Duggar girls are NOT mature at all, just good at doing their assigned chores. Doesn't equate to maturity.

• Love 5

I am in the minority for liking Jill it seems. I rather depend on her to be in charge or ask her for help over Jessa. 

It’s a known fact that people simply don’t find ‘perfect’ women all that likable.  That’s why most people prefer sassy best-friend types like Jennifer Lawrence (Jessa)  to calculated and rehearsed Anne Hathaway (Jill).

• Love 1

Shortly after Jessa mentioned that she hoped Ben would be on the train, and the entire Duggar dog & pony show arrived instead, waving and grinning like a bunch of fools, Jessa looked so ticked off!  I laughed at her reaction but I also felt bad for her that she couldn't have her special day without her entire family crashing it.

To be fair, the family didn't crash anything. They were invited.

• Love 3

I keep reading articles that say Jim Bob and Michelle are freaking out about the front hug. These same articles point out she broke the rules! As if it's a big deal!

I wonder if TLC waited to air this special til after she was married to spare her from Jim Bob and Michelle's wrath.

They don't dislike her as they want nothing to do with her but I'm sure they had to be really careful not to step out of bounds otherwise Jill would have snitched on them. The snitching is what they disliked and won't be missing.

She's Mary Ingalls. Except that it is Jessa who actually got Mary's stuck up attitude. Jill's way to nice to actually be a Mary. 

I keep reading articles that say Jim Bob and Michelle are freaking out about the front hug. These same articles point out she broke the rules! As if it's a big deal!

Get over it, JB and Mullet.  In fact, Jessa has gone WAY UP in my eyes for the TWO acts of defiance in this episode. The full frontal (hug) and the look she gave her mother, who acted like a complete idiot about hand holding during a freaking PRAYER. The Jessa defiant bitchface was pure poetry. 

Maybe THREE acts of defiance. She was showing a LOT of knee this week, and her clothes were NOT baggy. Go Jessa. 

Was there any word about Jim Bob and MEchelle having a fit about the black and white kissing photo? Rather intimate for a Duggar.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

Michelle had said previously on camera that she doesn't know a lot of things that happen until she sees the show.

Between that frontal hug and the Instagram kiss, this has been quite a week for the Duggars senior!

And I can't help but laugh because we would get stuff like this in our family, where someone would do something so totally NORMAL by any stretch of the imagination and you'd have people just freaking out about it. But we didn't have a national television show! :)

• Love 2

For the "name the building" game on the trolley I wonder who created the labels because the US Capitol was misspelled as US Capital

OMG, good catch! I swear we have the most eagle-eyed snarkers on this board. The stuff you guys pick up is incredible. I spend most of the episodes trying not to stick a fork in my eye, so I often miss the little things.

I was actually impressed that Jessa was able to identify all the buildings correctly. 

• Love 2

Have to say though -- the US Capitol in the Capital City?  As someone who lives in the DC world - homeschoolers, who actually tend, overall, to spend more time on grammar and spelling, are more likely to get that right!  ;)

Have to say though -- the US Capitol in the Capital City?  As someone who lives in the DC world - homeschoolers, who actually tend, overall, to spend more time on grammar and spelling, are more likely to get that right!  ;)

I blame that blatant error on production.  There's no way Ben made those.  Someone at TLC needs some more learnin'.    

Edited by DamWrite
  • Love 3

And Mom Seewald. She looks.....tired. I guess living your life in service to a pompous, intolerant asshole takes its toll. Oh, Bin. Be thankful that you didn't inherit your father's nose. 

But the girls in the family did.

I'm wondering if the hand-holding mix-up was because they were already engaged and this was a reenactment and suddenly Mullet remembered that they weren't supposed to be engaged yet, and Jessa just said " F-U" and stayed with it. LOL. I think I love Jessa more every day.

And yes, she was wearing a black bra...to go with the dark (navy? black?) dress that she knew she would be changing into and had probably picked out. This show is sooooooo fakey-fake.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 2

It’s a known fact that people simply don’t find ‘perfect’ women all that likable.  That’s why most people prefer sassy best-friend types like Jennifer Lawrence (Jessa)  to calculated and rehearsed Anne Hathaway (Jill).

I like sassy and spunky, too, but it has its limits. Jessa was wearing thin on me towards the end. I think if we knew someone like that in our circle, we'd be telling her to take it outside eventually. Or even to say, "Can you please not invite Jessa because I can't take her attitude anymore." There is sassy and disrespectful. I'm fine if she is trying to exert her individuality and independence, like taking the stance she will hold Ben's hand during prayer, but being a brat and raining on someone's parade is another story. That was the Jessa I was seeing towards the end. I guess it can go both ways, though. If you can't stand the Jill-types, you wouldn't want her invited to your party either. 

• Love 2

I wonder if TLC waited to air this special til after she was married to spare her from Jim Bob and Michelle's wrath.

Maybe they will force Benessa to divorce. Jessa got peanut during that hug. I don't understand why these people limit all physically contact and emotions. A hug is a hug not sex

The real issue is that none of these people have been properly socialized. They have no understanding of what is appropriate. A lot of people comment on how polite and well behaved they are, but that's a reactive response, not a normal, natural personality.

The extroverts have the slight advantage, and some real intelligence helps too. You can really see the advantage Josh had in the early years of normal socialization compared to even John-David and Jana. I believe Josh might have gone to kindergarten?

Jessa's bright, but an introvert. Having to interact with strangers all day, always wondering IS THIS IT? IS THIS THE MOMENT? Must have been really difficult. The whole TLC producer driven part compared to what I think Ben actually thought up himself (the chapel, the Rose petals, the simple words, BEING ALONE) was pretty dramatic.

I wish they hadn't asked her to change her clothes. That was too much.

I still love Josh and Anna's engagement because there's no way that was rehearsed or planned or any of all the stuff the daughters don't realize they have given up so TLC captures the perfect shot and JB gets paid.

• Love 2

I'm watching it again.

Ben: "Jessa and I get along real well like ice cream and a cone."  I immediately thought of the ice cream falling off cones. Or someone dropping the ice cream off the cone. I'm just saying ice cream and a cone don't have the relationship of PB & J or macaroni and cheese etc. 

I feel like  part of Ben's memory driven proposal is also TLC's way of telling the viewers, "you thought we wasted your time with all those dates. Look how meaningful they are."

Michelle: "Even though Jill wasn't able to be here, we were sending her pictures and updates."

I am confused about the frontal hug situation. It is my understanding that frontal hugs are not allowed within the Duggar family. Michelle and JimBob don't frontal hug their kids, and the kids don't frontal hug each other.  I have read here that JB and Michelle's reasoning for this is that  the family is actually at risk for defrauding each other just by giving one another real hugs, as if the family could get sexually tempted by one another? Apparently the only time frontal hugs are "okay" is between a married couple. Am I misunderstanding?

I noticed in the scene when Jessa came down the stairs and saw the Seewalds there, she side-hugged Mr. Seewald, but she gave Mrs. Seewald a long frontal hug. The hug seemed appropriate and genuine to me, but is this another example of Jessa going against the Duggar "rules"? Are JB and Michelle now losing sleep, worried that Jessa and Mrs. Seewald will start up a torrid affair?  It seems very strange to me that Jessa would hug her future mother-in-law but would never be allowed to give a real hug to one of her own parents.

I am confused about the frontal hug situation. It is my understanding that frontal hugs are not allowed within the Duggar family. Michelle and JimBob don't frontal hug their kids, and the kids don't frontal hug each other. I have read here that JB and Michelle's reasoning for this is that the family is actually at risk for defrauding each other just by giving one another real hugs, as if the family could get sexually tempted by one another? Apparently the only time frontal hugs are "okay" is between a married couple. Am I misunderstanding?

I noticed in the scene when Jessa came down the stairs and saw the Seewalds there, she side-hugged Mr. Seewald, but she gave Mrs. Seewald a long frontal hug. The hug seemed appropriate and genuine to me, but is this another example of Jessa going against the Duggar "rules"? Are JB and Michelle now losing sleep, worried that Jessa and Mrs. Seewald will start up a torrid affair? It seems very strange to me that Jessa would hug her future mother-in-law but would never be allowed to give a real hug to one of her own parents.

I guess Bitchcelle is having a torrid affair with the nail lady from Jills wedding prep. She gave the nail lady a sincere full frontal. But honestly we've seen both jerks give others full frontal.
  • Love 2

I guess Bitchcelle is having a torrid affair with the nail lady from Jills wedding prep. She gave the nail lady a sincere full frontal. But honestly we've seen both jerks give others full frontal.

I guess I never noticed the Duggars frontal hugging acquaintances and/or friends. So now I am even more confused. The only people they won't full frontal hug are their own family members? I don't get it.

• Love 2

I guess I never noticed the Duggars frontal hugging acquaintances and/or friends. So now I am even more confused. The only people they won't full frontal hug are their own family members? I don't get it.

It *looks* like girls and women front-hug each other, but that's it. Guinn and Jessa, Jill and her wedding cake lady, Michelle and the nail lady, maybe Jill dress shopping too? I can't remember if we ever see the Duggar sisters front-hug each other, though.

My thinking is that they probably front hug acquaintances that don't know about the side hugs, rather than explaining their bizarre way of thinking.

• Love 1

Side hugs seem to be a Gothard thing (Anna's family does them, and sometimes the Bates, but they less so.) There is probably some explanation given, such as, "we only give men a side hug" to other Fundie groups in a casual way which would just be seen as a particular subgroups quirk, just as some may wear head coverings.

For instance, many Orthodox Jews do not touch any person of the opposite sex other than their spouse and a quick explanation suffices. In NYC, a woman might extend her hand to a Jewish gentleman at a business meeting and he might say, "I'm sorry, I can't" and she says, "Of course. My apologies" and they begin the meeting without thinking twice about it.

I imagine quick conversations like that take place in the Duggars interactions with people too.

• Love 1

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I'll bring it up. Ben's proposal took place in a beautiful chapel. Wouldn't a couple of fundies consider that a place for at least a quick acknowledment of God's presence in prayer? Jessa walked in, accepted Ben's proposal, hugged him, and the two walked out. I just find it odd that it didn't occur to two people whose lives are so God-centered to pause a moment and thank the almighty for bringing them to that place and that moment. Perhaps they did and it was edited out. Just seemed strange.

Again, physical spaces aren't considered to be more or less holy to Fundy's. That's no more "God's House" than their living room.

And prayer, oddly enough, really can be personal. I realize that sounds bizarre coming from a family that practically tells you when they are all ovulating, but there you go.

• Love 2

Finally got around to watching this episode, and I actually didn't hate it. Jessa's emotional reaction to the proposal made her a little more likable to me. And yes, Bin is 12, but he seemed a little more genuine and a little less stupid. And clearly, boyfriend has time on his hands, because I noticed in the scene where he was hugging his dad that he clearly works out quite a bit. If Jessa had sex in the church, can't say I blame her. 

So where are they going to live? Surely not with MEchelle and Boob, right?

Someone I knew from Texas told me she knew people from school who did the side hug thing. Particularly she said there were guys in her high school would only give side hugs to girls in her high school. I don't think it was that they would only side hug family members, according my friend it was more other young people of the opposite sex. Considering they went to high school, I don't believe they were Gothardites, although certainly religious fundies. So I have heard of it elsewhere, but not to the extent of the Duggars.  

Edited by Temperance

Why do these people make everything about sex. And everything about men can't control themselves. If someone gets simulated by a hug then there are so seriously issues. Teach your boys self control Duggars. A hug is a hug. When someone is upset excited happy they hug. It's an emotional connection. Stop trying to suppress your kids. What's next JimChelle aren't going to allow their kids to eat in front of their boyfriend or girlfriend because it might stir up sexual feelings....

• Love 2

I loved this episode. I have a soft spot for Jessa; mainly since my family calls me the ice queen, haha Jessa I getchu girl. 

The scavenger hunt was cute, but damn it did go on too long. In the moment Jessa was over it and wanted the grand finale, but it's a terrific memory and story to have. Also I know many people (in their high 20's and their 30's!) who get engaged at scavenger hunts. Many bonus points to Ben for proposing in that (GORGEOUS!!!) chapel that Jessa so loved. She was so touched and it made me smile to hear her exclaim "This guy knows me!" Also no way he paid for a lot of the scheme. I wanted to look in the credits for "promotional consideration..." and see what was listed, but DVR cut it off.  I hope the new Mr and Mrs Bin Seewald enjoy their newlywed time together. I wasn't at all surprised at how long it took JillDill to get pregnant, but I have hope for Jessa that she won't leap into it so quickly. 

No JillDill....hoorah, hoorah! She's been so annoying and tiresome. Oh Jana and Jinger...I am so rooting for you ladies to find happiness. 

• Love 1

Although I'm sure Ben didn't pay for the proposal expenses, if he came up with all of the ideas, he's a pretty nice guy, imo. He took many things related to their courtship and brought them all together. WTG Ben. 

• Love 1

I'm wondering if the hand-holding mix-up was because they were already engaged and this was a reenactment and suddenly Mullet remembered that they weren't supposed to be engaged yet, and Jessa just said " F-U" and stayed with it. LOL. I think I love Jessa more every day.

Ohhh, I bet you are totally right.  Darn.  That takes some of the delight about Jessa's supposed "defiance" out of it for me!  

I still love Josh and Anna's engagement because there's no way that was rehearsed or planned or any of all the stuff the daughters don't realize they have given up so TLC captures the perfect shot and JB gets paid.

I know.  This saddens me, too.  It's one thing to have your engagement, relationship, and wedding filmed and televised, as Josh and Anna did, but quite another to have your every move related to your courtship, engagement, wedding, and what comes after be planned down to the detail for cameras with sponsors and sold to the highest bidder.  It's not truly authentic,  It's for an audience and for money and publicity.  All of these are once-in-a-lifetime things that you will treasure forever, and to have them arranged by producers and so it will look good on film, in a magazine shoot, etc is something I think in time they will regret.

I noticed in the scene when Jessa came down the stairs and saw the Seewalds there, she side-hugged Mr. Seewald, but she gave Mrs. Seewald a long frontal hug. The hug seemed appropriate and genuine to me, but is this another example of Jessa going against the Duggar "rules"?

From what I can tell, it appears that females can Full Frontal other female friends and family members.  Does anyone have an inside contact from the Gothard world that we can get this clarified, or an official rule statement from a website?  Do the Duggars ever answer emails at this point or are they totally overwhelmed and beyond that?  Maybe there is a chapter on this in the girls' book on relationships??  

Why do these people make everything about sex. And everything about men can't control themselves. If someone gets simulated by a hug then there are so seriously issues. Teach your boys self control Duggars. A hug is a hug. When someone is upset excited happy they hug. It's an emotional connection. Stop trying to suppress your kids. What's next JimChelle aren't going to allow their kids to eat in front of their boyfriend or girlfriend because it might stir up sexual feelings....

Seriously.  Yet being right in front of a man shaving him, or running your fingers through his hair and styling it, or holding hands to the point that it's embarrassing and distracting to those around you, or bare feet is NOT sensual or defrauding?  I just don't get the logic!  If hugging is off limits because of their highly and stimulating, then IMO those things should be, too.   

• Love 2

Bitchcelle (love it) is getting her groove on in the most unusual places!  lol  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 1

I also loved this episode.   I wish Ben had waited until the morning to have Jessa get the tablet.  It gave the secret away the way he did it ' first clue to the rest of your life'.  He (or someone ) put a lot of thought into the day.  It was possible because Jessa and Ben have spent quite a bit of time together, and actually had memories to relive.... just like normal couples who date for a year... as opposed to those who Skype under supervision, and get engage two months after they actually get to 'date'.. 

I loved the hand-holding at the dinner, and the frontal hug at the engagement. Notice, Jinger didn't see anything wrong with the hug... she didn't jump up and giggle the way Michelle did at dinner.  Michelle made it pretty obvious that these are HER rules for the offspring to court.    Jessa has had enough and wants to go live her life. 

It really annoys me when Michelle says that Jim Bob is the keeper of the girls' hearts and will give the hearts to the guy.  Really?  The girls own their own hearts. It comes off creepy.

• Love 9

I also loved this episode.   I wish Ben had waited until the morning to have Jessa get the tablet.  It gave the secret away the way he did it ' first clue to the rest of your life'.  He (or someone ) put a lot of thought into the day.  It was possible because Jessa and Ben have spent quite a bit of time together, and actually had memories to relive.... just like normal couples who date for a year... as opposed to those who Skype under supervision, and get engage two months after they actually get to 'date'.. 

I loved the hand-holding at the dinner, and the frontal hug at the engagement. Notice, Jinger didn't see anything wrong with the hug... she didn't jump up and giggle the way Michelle did at dinner.  Michelle made it pretty obvious that these are HER rules for the offspring to court.    Jessa has had enough and wants to go live her life. 

It really annoys me when Michelle says that Jim Bob is the keeper of the girls' hearts and will give the hearts to the guy.  Really?  The girls own their own hearts. It comes off creepy.

I was surprised that I liked this too. I originally saw no connection between Jessa and Ben, but i think that really changed somewhere along the way.

My feelings about Jill/Derick and Jessa/Ben have flipped over the course of this season. Last season, I thought Jill and Derick were cute, and I had some hope that Derick would begin to move Jill away from the cult. I was thoroughly tired of the Jessa bitch-face and dim-witted Ben.

Now, though, it seems like Jill has dragged Derick into kool-aid land. The immediate pregnancy, the over-exposure of Jill/Derick on the show, and Derick's obvious willingness to enter into the dog and pony show have soured me on Jill and Derick.

Jessa, however, has shown a little spirit, and a little class.I like her willingness to call out JB on his BS. I think her choices for the wedding were more personal and more well thought out than Jill's. I liked her choice to make the "first kiss" personal and private, rather than fodder for the TV show. I also like the kissing selfie that was so very immodest.

• Love 6

Do they ever discuss the effect the chaperoning has on the sibling relationship? Is Jinger expected to tattle on Jessa if Jessa does something like a 'frontal hug'? Is she supposed to confront Jessa? If she's not supposed to do anything then what's the point of the chaperone but if they put it on Jinger to tattle or confront then that just sets up for a big mess in the family.

Edited to add... do they ever discuss the insanity of having a teenager in charge of engaged people?

I sort of thought that back in the Josh/Anna courtship days (I'm not a terribly loyal viewer - I used to watch the early specials, then occasionally check in for the baby/wedding arcs, so this is my first full season), they said it was the older kids who chaperoned, and since Josh got married at 19 (?), Jana and John David - the Duggars I specifically remember chaperoning - were a few years younger than Jinger is now. But I also think I remember a young Duggar as a chaperone in the backseat of the car while Josh and Anna were holding hands, as people oh-so-naturally do while driving, so maybe the chaperone rules get looser once you're engaged (or about to be)? Though I got the impression that Ben and Jessa's missions trip to South America was with Jinger and some younger siblings, so their chaperone rules (if not their relationship rules) may have gotten more practical with the reality of chaperoning not-long-distance relationships.

I *think* they said back with Josh and Anna that the chaperones did report to the parents, but I doubt all chaperones report equally. (I may be mis-remembering any of this!) Since this "breech" was televised, I do hope that Jinger didn't get in trouble. Maybe she could use "you understood and forgave [bleh] Jill and Derek's slip, so I really thought that under the circumstances it was ok to let it go."

I'm picturing prayer time with folks outside the family, and Michelle and JB have to run around moving people so no young adults of opposite sexes are side-by-side. Like "Josie, you go over there between them and . . . "

We've actually seen this on the show this season, with JB directing a little kid to stand between Ben and Jessa. I tend to catch it because our youth group leader used to do the same thing sometimes with me and my then-boyfriend, and it's astonishing to me how familiar little bits of the Duggar world (and Sister Wives' purity lessons) echo my own youth group and youth group trip experiences. I knew it was crazy talk, but wasn't aware that it was really a bit outside of what you'd expect from a mainstream church until the message boards of these shows. (At which point, I asked my mom and she was a bit disgusted by things she had no idea others were trying to teach me! My parents would have been disturbed and at a total loss had I bought into a lot of that.)

Finally watched the whole episode. Jessa definitely wanted to kiss Ben after she said yes. She starts to tilt her head as she leans forward and then he grabs her in a hug. It definitely made me wonder... I hope they did kiss before. You know, since they can make their own courting rules and all.

I do love that instead of Jim bob announcing her first public kiss to 1000 people, Ms Jessa shared her first public kiss in a sexy Instagram photo for millions.

Totally agree! When I first read that they didn't kiss at the ceremony, I wondered what the odds were of keeping it private to cover a lack of awkwardness. Props to them for doing it a bit their own way either way. I hadn't initially heard that JB and Michelle seemed stunned at the ceremony and were overheard asking TLC about editing it as though they were in on it, but that did make the IG pic a bit more of a statement!

• Love 1