Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: Jessa's Engagement

With two Duggar weddings down and 17 to go, is the family ready for another set of nuptials? Ben plans a special surprise scavenger hunt proposal for Jessa with each challenge relating to a special moment in their courtship.

Great, another corny staged proposal. Lather, rinse, repeat.

At this rate, Jordyn will be getting married by the time Jessa's wedding airs. I'm surprised the producers haven't stepped up the editing to keep the pace of the show relatively close to real time. 

• Love 6

I hope we get to see Bin asking Boob for Jessa Blessa's hand in marriage. I wonder if Boob will have the "I'm going to throw up" look on his face like he did when Derick asked him. Can't wait to hear Bin's answer for "How do you plan to provide for her?"

• Love 4

I'm not sure I could deal with another ten episode of wedding prep and holier than thou courtship crap. They should show the engagement and then do a one hour special on the wedding prep and wedding. Because, honestly, stretching it out to a point where Jill and Derick were pregnant in real time while we were watching them date was stupid. I, also, don't see the point of showing us the silly details of hair trials, nail prep, o photo sessions, Cinderjana and registering like greedy little bitches. If they do that every time a Duggar kid gets married, this show will tank. The problem with their "I like pickles, he doesn't" individuality is that the lack of true choice and independent thought means one wedding is going to be most identical to the next. If the big controversy is that she wore blush v(or whatever not-white-color that was) and they kissed later, I'm not sure why were supposed to get excited. When Jinger marries in Vegas in a red dress, and kisses her man before the "I do", then I will tune in.

• Love 18

I will admit, this is pretty hokey for me. And reminds me how young they are, which is saying something, given that my husband and I were engaged younger than they were, and my whole family was in the room when it happened!

• Love 1

Well, I guess tonight we see Jessa getting her new "Jessa Buddy," Ben.  If you don't catch this episode, take heart! You'll be able to see a re-enactment of the engagement by the "Duggar Players" when they film Jessa's rehearsal dinner. 

• Love 11

I just read that they have been engaged since mid August.  For some reason I have a feeling it was before then.  I'm sure she had to wait for Jilly Muffins wedding, but that only left a few weeks to plan a wedding.  Maybe that's why the couldn't come up with seating for the reception.

• Love 1

They have been engaged since August and just married last Saturday....we won't see the wedding prep and the ceremony until, when, March 2015? TLC really needs to explain why the delays in airing being that they did a great job time-wise with the Roloff wedding...it CAN be done and has been done by them. This is ridiculous...I don't think we really want to see Kate + 8 in place of Honey Boo Boo, as I thought "Kate" had been cancelled and off the radar screen....

Oh, why no seating for the reception, "ala Jill"?

• Love 3

I wonder if the Duggars themselves are not the reason for the delayed show schedule (vs real time events). Could Jim Boob be insisting on approving final edits of the shows? Causing production delays with THs? That would explain why the show has been so incredibly boring. I wonder how recently they had to negotiate their TLC contract? 

I'm not sure I could deal with another ten episode of wedding prep and holier than thou courtship crap. They should show the engagement and then do a one hour special on the wedding prep and wedding. Because, honestly, stretching it out to a point where Jill and Derick were pregnant in real time while we were watching them date was stupid. I, also, don't see the point of showing us the silly details of hair trials, nail prep, o photo sessions, Cinderjana and registering like greedy little bitches. If they do that every time a Duggar kid gets married, this show will tank. The problem with their "I like pickles, he doesn't" individuality is that the lack of true choice and independent thought means one wedding is going to be most identical to the next. If the big controversy is that she wore blush v(or whatever not-white-color that was) and they kissed later, I'm not sure why were supposed to get excited. When Jinger marries in Vegas in a red dress, and kisses her man before the "I do", then I will tune in.

Well, when one of the BOYS gets married in Vegas in a red dress, I'll be watching. Not for the wedding though. Just to see Boob and Mechelle.

• Love 15

Problem is, ratings were pretty high this season.  I'm not happy about another eight episodes of "didn't we just see this?" - possibly while knowing that Jessa is already pregnant and Jill has already had Richard James and is gearing up for number two, but TLC has no reason to think we're the average viewer.

• Love 1

They have been engaged since August and just married last Saturday....we won't see the wedding prep and the ceremony until, when, March 2015? TLC really needs to explain why the delays in airing being that they did a great job time-wise with the Roloff wedding...it CAN be done and has been done by them. This is ridiculous...I don't think we really want to see Kate + 8 in place of Honey Boo Boo, as I thought "Kate" had been cancelled and off the radar screen....

Oh, why no seating for the reception, "ala Jill"?

So true - the Roloff wedding was extremely well-done and shown in a reasonable time frame. Personally I think they just have a superior production team compared to 19K&C. But maybe stretching it our interminably was just another one of Boob's big ideas. I think he talked TLC into weeks of "much-ado-about-nothing" wedding coverage. Even Boob knows they're rapidly running out of material and the youngest kids are getting close to that No-Longer-Cute stage where most people will watch them doing anything. Weddings - for some reason - are perennial crowd-pleasers.  PS - I notice in some of the promos now you hear "19 Kids" rather than "19 Kids & Counting..." Interesting.

• Love 3

I'm one person that does not have a problem with the time frame. I did find the endless episodes of filler super boring, however the time frame of when the episodes are shown doesn't bother me. My husband works in tv and he was shocked that they had episodes aired that only happened a few months before because of how long it can take to complete a production. I haven't told him about the Roloff wedding airing within a week, the production team must have been working round the clock.

• Love 1

I'm one person that does not have a problem with the time frame. I did find the endless episodes of filler super boring, however the time frame of when the episodes are shown doesn't bother me. My husband works in tv and he was shocked that they had episodes aired that only happened a few months before because of how long it can take to complete a production. I haven't told him about the Roloff wedding airing within a week, the production team must have been working round the clock.

This is scary news. So even without being rushed - even after having months of work done on them, these episodes still turned out as poorly as they did?  Wow. Now I'm even less impressed with the team that works on this show, which I didn't think was possible. Makes me think of that George Carlin line - "Even Harvard Medical School has someone who graduated last in the class.  And one of us has an appointment with that guy tomorrow at 9 am..."

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 11

I can hardly wait for months of mind-numbing boredom -- ooops, the wall-to-wall coverage of JILL'S PREGNANCY Jessa's wedding planning JILL'S SHOWER(S) Jessa's nuptials JILL IS ALREADY PREGNANT AGAIN! Benessa move into JILL'S BASEMENT!

The wedding brought the highest ratings in four years, so you know we're getting more of the same. I wonder if Jim Boob bought JD a million-dollar plane in exchange for an arranged "courtship"...

• Love 2

I'm not asking that they be shown in real time.  That is unrealistic.  But I'd prefer if they were shown as specials rather than the penultimate show at the end of a lead up from a season.  It just makes everything feel really artificial.  I actually liked the way it was handled for Josh's wedding.

• Love 5

I'm not asking that they be shown in real time.  That is unrealistic.  But I'd prefer if they were shown as specials rather than the penultimate show at the end of a lead up from a season.  It just makes everything feel really artificial.  I actually liked the way it was handled for Josh's wedding.

I agree and think that a fair preference. I just want to see the wedding, tbh.

• Love 2

I actually liked seeing Jill's shower with all the babies. It was nice to see that there was a side to her that WASN'T only about her family. And I liked the proposal the first time I saw it. But by the time they had repeated it sixteen million times, I really found it artificial and fake. They could do one hour episode about engagement and dress shopping, and then two hours for the shower/wedding and call it a day. Then we could still have shows about other things.

• Love 1

Bin is really quite dim isn't he? "I was thinking of asking your permission to get Jessa's permission to get married."

Wow...stay in school, kids.

Bin and Jessa just want to bang each other. Why make them jump through hoops? Bin is such a downgrade looks-wise. Jessa could do so much better in the real world.

• Love 11

Bin is really quite dim isn't he? "I was thinking of asking your permission to get Jessa's permission to get married."

Wow...stay in school, kids.

Bin and Jessa just want to bang each other. Why make them jump through hoops? Bin is such a downgrade looks-wise. Jessa could do so much better in the real world.

"Wow, good 'Ole ice cream in a cone."

Let's keep tabs on the crap that comes out of Ben's mouth.

And I agree, it would probably be better to let them bump uglies then marry 'em off. But that's not godly.

Edited by dillpickles

I cringed all the way through Ben and Jim Bob's talk.  Oh my gosh, so awkward.

Anna is winning as my favorite Duggar lately.  "I can't believe he said that!  Would you have said that?  If I'd known that, I would have said no, just to prove you wrong."  I don't know how it took her 6 years to find her spunk, but go Anna!

• Love 13

Are we allowed to discuss episodes as they happen here, or is that a no-no a la TWoP?

Well, I'll take my chances at a ban.

Jana's face when Ben suggested the scavenger hunt was awesome.  She was clearly thinking "this is a terrible idea and Jessa will hate it, but I can't say anything but 'neat.'"

Ben is so completely incompetent at everything.  He can't put paper and tape on a box.  He can't put a sentence together.  He can't come up with a simile that isn't completely idiotic.  And that's just in the last four minutes.  Does he have to consciously remind himself to breathe? 

Please, for the love of Jebus, someone free Joy.

If Jessa is "melting" right now she must be more frigid than I thought.  And, uh, how many tablets does this family need? 

I think Josh realizes how lame his proposal was.  He might not be as stupid as I assume.

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 14

Did anyone else think Michelle sounded like she was making a sarcastic dig at both Ben and JimBob when she commented that JimBob was right that he couldn't have done something more romantic than what Ben had come up with?  Michelle's voice is so impossible to read; she always sounds snide. 

Michelle's lifting Josie again.  Missing back muscle my ass; she just never wanted to hold her kids.

I'm sorry, but sarcastic air quotes and "Six inches-hooray!" with dripping sarcasm made me laugh.  I'm twelve.  Also, they really are speaking really...normally.  The way Jessa said "if I don't make this, I'm a failure at life" sounded like internet vernacular. 

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 7

Oh no, are they going to be on Duggar time for Jessa's proposal?!  Just kidding.  We all know these people can get places on time when they actually want to; they just don't care to most of the time.  Why not?  People should wait for Jebus's chosen folks.  And it guarantees all eyes on them.

• Love 2

Ha Jim Boob's face when Ben asked to marry Jessa.

"Oh, shi-sugar he actually asked. He doesn't even have a job."

And somehow Boob forgot to ask him "How will you provide for her?" like he grilled Derick. For a minute there, I didn't think Boob was going to get his pained "I'm going to throw up" look on his face but he didn't let us down, it was there.

It cracked me up when Jessa was getting ready for the dinner date, Joy or Jana said they don't see Jessa much in the morning because she gets up early to see Ben before he leaves for work. They acted like he leaves the compound to go to a real 9-5 job, not hanging around being Boob's handy helper.

• Love 9

Johannah snorting when Jenni called Ben "handsome" - okay, Hannie, you're back in the running for my favorite Duggar.

I can't tell if JimBob is threatened by Ben or gay for him.  I really can't.

• Love 13

And somehow Boob forgot to ask him "How will you provide for her?" like he grilled Derick. For a minute there, I didn't think Boob was going to get his pained "I'm going to throw up" look on his face but he didn't let us down, it was there.

I feel like there's two reasons for that. JI'm Boob knows that he's probably Ben's only source of income. Or he just doesn't care about Jessa as much as Jill. I'm hoping it's the former.

• Love 3

I don't want to say this has an incest vibe to it but something is off. Ben has been living for how long as pretty much an extra Duggar son? Dad assigns him some chores and if he completes them all he gets his allowance.

I hope my dad never gave my boyfriends money to take me on dates.

It's just creepy.

• Love 2

I can't tell if JimBob is threatened by Ben or gay for him. I really can't.

He's threatened because he's gay for ben!

Ben has been defrauding him this whole time, how will he ever make another baby with MECHELLe when all he can think about is Ben's luscious hair?

• Love 5